Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Now that we are all 'professional' amateur crime-solvers, I have to rage out about what I just saw on one of the Hallmark Mysteries.  A college kid disappeared, and the police went into the kid's dorm room.  They took his computer and decided to just give it to someone the detective knew, who was a relative of the college kid, so that person could try to get into the computer by guessing the password.  Then that person gave it to another person to try.  Hmm...no need to bother with that pesky little thing called chain of custody?   And the other idiocy from another detective show, was that the star/detective was going to be a bridesmaid in her cousin's wedding. Then one of the groomsmen had to back out, and it happened to be the groomsmen who was going to be paired up in the wedding party entrance with the star/detective.  So the star/detective asked a male pseudo-boyfriend of hers to fill in...meaning, the bride was going to have a man in her wedding party, and in the pictures memorialized for all time, who neither the bride nor groom knew in any way, shape, or form.  Sure.

• Love 3
On 9/24/2018 at 6:08 AM, walnutqueen said:

On the Case with Paula Zahn :

So, the mothers of the missing stage a public protest, and THEN the cops decide to cave to media attention and investigate?  "Once we realized we had 9 girls missing, all approximately the same age, all in this 2-3 mile radius, we got on it right away".  No.you didn't.  And how in the fuckety fuck do the cops NOT notice this until the mothers bring attention to it?  You're the fucking COPS, and it is your fucking J.O.B.  Gah!

I totally agree that the police should have taken the three missing persons cases more seriously, but I thought that it was only after the protest that the six other girls were officially reported missing.  Still, it was infuriating.   The first hours are the most important in a missing persons case and that mother knew right away that her daughter was in danger.

• Love 2

I am puzzled about why Jessica is reported to have said that Eric is the person who burned her.  I have considered the evidence shown on the show and some other evidence, that I won't post here.   These are some things, I've thought about:

1. When the first EMS responder testified, he did report that Jessica wasn't clear with the pronunciation of her last name.  So, he said it back to her.  It was slightly off, but, he made out Chambers.  So, that is some indication that her enunciation might not have been perfect.

2.  Some family member or  friend said in an interview that it was possible, that all these witnesses, later heard one person say that they heard Eric, but, in fact, they are repeating what someone told them. They actually believe that's what they heard, because others' heard that and now it's ingrained in their mind as a true memory.   It's similar to how eye witness testimony is not very credible.  It's fraught with error and I don't put much faith in it at all. I'm beginning to think that this ear witness testimony may be just as inaccurate.  If the evidence indicates otherwise, do we go with something that is fraught with human error?  I put more faith in science than a human memory.  

3.  Also, Jessica could have been mentally not there, though, she appeared to be conscious.  Maybe, her brain was not working and she gave a name of someone that she didn't even know. If they have not been able to find any Eric, then, how is it possible that she she knew one and through years of searching, no Eric has been discovered.  I just have trouble swallowing a story of a mystery person that no one in that small community ever heard of or knew.  I  would have to go with other more reliable information that makes sense.  I don't fault the defense though. It's a solid defense and I don't fault the attorneys for using it.  

I do pray there is justice. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
On 9/25/2018 at 10:53 AM, LuvMyShows said:

Don't judge me, but when the real world gets too intense, true crime stories are just too overwhelming, so I watch...Hallmark Mysteries.  Yes, they are idiotic, but they are also predictably formulaic and always have a treacly-sweet subplot with a nice resolution, and they are insanely G-rated.  I'm in that mini-phase right now, with series like "Flower Shop Mystery", "Murder She Baked", and "Aurora Teagarden".  Does anyone else watch this stuff?  No?...just me?

Yes, me! It's my go-to station when the real stuff gets to be too much. After I watched that show where the cat was killed and other horrible things we were discussing a bit back in here, and I missed a meal on account if it, I had switched right over to Hallmark as soon as it was over!

• Love 2

Watching the "Twisted Sisters" from this week, wherein the stepmother is brutally murdered, it stood out to me that Lisa's ex-boyfriend, who provided a lot of the backstory, had broken up with her rather weirdly. He'd been in a relationship with her since 7th grade and this was post  graduation.  Some "friend" told him Lisa didn't love him and was just pretending because she needed a place to stay. So he broke up with her based on that! Seems kinda punky to me! Then again, she did turn out to be bad news. Hard to believe anyone could be so brutal.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, renatae said:

Watching the "Twisted Sisters" from this week, wherein the stepmother is brutally murdered, it stood out to me that Lisa's ex-boyfriend, who provided a lot of the backstory, had broken up with her rather weirdly. He'd been in a relationship with her since 7th grade and this was post  graduation.  Some "friend" told him Lisa didn't love him and was just pretending because she needed a place to stay. So he broke up with her based on that! Seems kinda punky to me! Then again, she did turn out to be bad news. Hard to believe anyone could be so brutal.

I am actually liking the show Twisted Sisters. Lasts' week was good. I also like the format. Last week I do think the girl interviewed was probably somehow involved. The other guy interveiwed said so and that he hated her.Really sad strory of lost teens.

• Love 7
On 9/24/2018 at 9:08 AM, walnutqueen said:

On the Case with Paula Zahn :

So, the mothers of the missing stage a public protest, and THEN the cops decide to cave to media attention and investigate?  "Once we realized we had 9 girls missing, all approximately the same age, all in this 2-3 mile radius, we got on it right away".  No.you didn't.  And how in the fuckety fuck do the cops NOT notice this until the mothers bring attention to it?  You're the fucking COPS, and it is your fucking J.O.B.  Gah!

14 hours ago, Josette said:

I totally agree that the police should have taken the three missing persons cases more seriously, but I thought that it was only after the protest that the six other girls were officially reported missing.  Still, it was infuriating.   The first hours are the most important in a missing persons case and that mother knew right away that her daughter was in danger.

IIRC, this took place in a relatively small place where three missing girls would have been extraordinary, and should have been a red flag unto itself.  But add in the close proximity of the disappearances, and the cops' inactivity is downright criminal.

But apparently it's not just the cops that are sub-par, since according to Paula's little closing segment, the f'ing judge allowed the guilty guy to LEAVE THE COURTROOM during the victim impact statement. WTAF????  Good for Desi's mom for protesting that as well and getting the law changed.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, applecrisp said:

I am actually liking the show Twisted Sisters. Lasts' week was good. I also like the format. Last week I do think the girl interviewed was probably somehow involved. The other guy interveiwed said so and that he hated her.Really sad strory of lost teens.

Yes, I have been really impressed by the show. Interesting presentations, no cheesy, provocatively sexy reenactments. It's one if my favorites. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, renatae said:

Yes, I have been really impressed by the show. Interesting presentations, no cheesy, provocatively sexy reenactments. It's one if my favorites. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised.

I'll have to give it a go. It's been stacking up on my DVR. I think because of the title and the Kardashian element, I thought it would be one of those ID cheese fests and was waiting until I had nothing else to watch - lol

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

I'll have to give it a go. It's been stacking up on my DVR. I think because of the title and the Kardashian element, I thought it would be one of those ID cheese fests and was waiting until I had nothing else to watch - lol

LOL. Exactly what I thought until I watched it!

• Love 4

Watching the Jessica Chambers case is doing my head in. The cops the prosecutors handled this case horribly.  I haven't read  about the case because I'm trying to not spoil the end but I'm so frustrated , I don't think the young man on trial did it. He doesn't seem very bright and I'm worried about the outcome. 

So, Jessica knew someone named Derrick.  But he was with his mom and couldn't have done it.  Wtf? 

• Love 3

REF. Jessica Chambers murder documentary.  Was that the third and final part or is there one more?  I get so frustrated when lay people on tv shows (this one episode from last night) say that the state has to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt or they say, there can be no doubt.  That's not the legal standard and it shouldn't be conveyed that way, imo.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

REF. Jessica Chambers murder documentary.  Was that the third and final part or is there one more?  I get so frustrated when lay people on tv shows (this one episode from last night) say that the state has to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt or they say, there can be no doubt.  That's not the legal standard and it shouldn't be conveyed that way, imo.   

I'm really tired of all these 'specials' that goody-goody people are putting out that implore us to get GUILTY people out of prison!  Go find someone to defend who is actually innocent!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think next week is the final episode. 

• Love 4

Oh, okay.  I'll probably wait until it's all over to say too much about the Jessica Chambers case.  

I think that it's awesome when truly innocent people are vindicated, but, I do wonder about some of the cases.  I think you really have to examine things carefully.  I don't put much value in it when the defendant and/or his family and friends profess the defendant's innocence.  That's just natural, imo.   They act as if all guilty people confess or admit guilt.  Plenty don't, so, that holds no weight for me.  And, to say that a person is just not capable of killing someone.....doesn't hold any weight with me either.  Plenty of people who you would never suspect commit murder.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Watching the Jessica Chambers case is doing my head in. The cops the prosecutors handled this case horribly.  I haven't read  about the case because I'm trying to not spoil the end but I'm so frustrated , I don't think the young man on trial did it. He doesn't seem very bright and I'm worried about the outcome. 

So, Jessica knew someone named Derrick.  But he was with his mom and couldn't have done it.  Wtf? 

You and me both.  

I don't know a lot about this case and am staying away from researching it for the same reasons but it seems to me that there should have been a pretty solid resolution.  She lived in a small town, everybody apparently knew who she was and, truth be told, she was dealing (at least for a time.)  And she told her family she was afraid for her life, that people thought she was a "snitch."   That should have been the first, and primary, avenue investigated.  

I'm not sure what to think about the reported "Eric."  She was cognizant enough to tell the first responders she had been burned and what her name was so it seems she could have been aware enough to know who had done it to her.  Of course, she also could have been thinking about Eric so who knows?   But "Eric" and "Quinton" sound nothing alike.

The discovery of her keys is sketchy AF.   So the guy who allegedly finds the keys has a record a mile long and the agent who takes the report is the same agent who has busted him repeatedly.  The report Quinton's mother has about the discovery is different from the one entered into evidence at court.  WTF?  Do the Keystone Kops have a division in Mississippi?   

And what was with the FBI agent who didn't ask Quinton WHY he had deleted Jessica's contact info out of his phone?  Maybe it was guilt or maybe it was because she was gone and not coming back and he innocently deleted it?   Why wouldn't you ask?  Wouldn't that be a normal follow up question?  

Why wouldn't the cops (or is it Kops?) go pick up Quinton's gas can to test it?  He told them about it so there's zero excuse.

At this point, knowing what we know via the program, if I were sitting on that jury, there is reasonable doubt everywhere.  No way could I vote to convict.  Quinton looks like a scapegoat.

The volunteer fire fighters are killing me.  Watching two of them especially - - the older one who was the only one not called to testify, and the younger man who had dreamt of being a firefighter - - tear up and cry is wrecking me.  It demonstrates perfectly how this filters down and affects everyone who comes into contact with murder.   

• Love 6
On 8/3/2018 at 9:23 AM, TheGreenWave said:

I agree 1000%.  It was so jarring between the terrible reenactments and the interviews with the daughter.  I couldn't make it through the whole thing. 

I get a lot of these shows mixed up but i think it was this one that recently covered a case that happened on Whidbey Island, WA. Some aging Ms Washington femme fatale led various men into hell. It’s a great story. Only all the actors sounded like they were from New Jersey. As someone with family and a lot of time spent on Whidbey, I just could not get into this episode! Luckily it was also covered by Dateline and there’s also a book. It’s quite the roller coaster ride. 

• Love 5
On 9/25/2018 at 8:53 AM, LuvMyShows said:

Don't judge me, but when the real world gets too intense, true crime stories are just too overwhelming, so I watch...Hallmark Mysteries.  Yes, they are idiotic, but they are also predictably formulaic and always have a treacly-sweet subplot with a nice resolution, and they are insanely G-rated.  I'm in that mini-phase right now, with series like "Flower Shop Mystery", "Murder She Baked", and "Aurora Teagarden".  Does anyone else watch this stuff?  No?...just me?

I totally watch those. I like the true crime but I also love the various mystery shows and movies. 

Did anyone watch American Monster last night with the social media girl? I watch those and just want to ask the person if they really think they are smart enough to get away with these things? I would love to see that woman in prison, she was so addicted to social media, it must kill her to be without it. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

Did anyone watch American Monster last night with the social media girl? I watch those and just want to ask the person if they really think they are smart enough to get away with these things? I would love to see that woman in prison, she was so addicted to social media, it must kill her to be without it. 

I got annoyed with how she wouldn't listen to her husband when he kept saying, "Hey, stop talking about me/the kids online, it makes me uncomfortable." If she wants to put herself out there, that's her business. But yeah, she should've been careful about and respected her family's need for privacy, too. 

Given how much they talked about her having her fifth child, and how she wasn't happy about having another kid, I was afraid we'd find out that not only did she do something to her husband, but that she might've also hurt the baby, or perhaps her other kids, somehow, too. 

• Love 4

REf. American Monster last night, Off Camera episode, who took the mother's children when she went to prison? When someone has judgment that is that poor, it really does mean that they must be crazy enough to do anything. I do think that she is a sociopath. She reminded me of the Kardashians. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

Some people just crave the attention.  She must have been lacking something in her life that made her want to be an online star.  Over the years, I've seen a few nice people that I have met over the years through a hobby.  Two or three of them have enjoyed the minor attention they have received so much that they've monetized their social media stuff (YouTube, blogs, etc) and have begun to believe their own hype, even when none exists.  I no longer deal with them.  But in each one, I know they've mentioned past hurts, childhood pain, etc, back before they went off the rails, so something there was making that woman on the show believe her own hype.  In the case of the few that I know that have gone that way, one works with children, and that makes me sad.  That person has become so intolerant of anyone who doesn't think they're all that, and has any differing opinion that I fear for the kids they work with - that they will become too much of an annoyance.  :(

• Love 3
On 8/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Last night there was another riveting episode of The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers.  When the female host was interviewing the lady counsel woman, or whoever she was, WHY didn't she ask her WHY she thought police didn't really properly search, process and preserve Crystal's car!!!

Even though this show is done (forever? for the season?), I'm still very bothered by this aspect of the story.  The ex-crime scene guy they hired to go over Crystal's car said that in Kentucky, the crime lab will only test five pieces of evidence.  Makes you wonder what the unsolved crime rate is in KY, and how public officials justify such a ridiculous policy.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Even though this show is done (forever? for the season?), I'm still very bothered by this aspect of the story.  The ex-crime scene guy they hired to go over Crystal's car said that in Kentucky, the crime lab will only test five pieces of evidence.  Makes you wonder what the unsolved crime rate is in KY, and how public officials justify such a ridiculous policy.

On the Crystal Rogers FB page, this was explained that they can test more than 5 pieces of evidence, they just need a court order to do it.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

The processing of her car, spoke volumes.  To me, it said, "No thanks, we're not interested in evidence on this case."  The same goes for how they ignored the inmate in prison who tried to give information.  They eventually went because they were publicly shamed.  Of course, they acted eager then. And then they didn't even pursue the grandmother who hid evidence.  Just talk about how great of a citizen she is.  Please.  

And, I would be interested to know how many police officers who were murdered in this country and  are still unsolved.  They don't seem eager to solve that one either. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, LGraves65 said:

On the Crystal Rogers FB page, this was explained that they can test more than 5 pieces of evidence, they just need a court order to do it.

Huh.  It strikes me as a strange process that is contrary to conducting a true investigation, but maybe it's not uncommon?  I wonder how hard it is for LO to get court orders to process more evidence and who ultimately bears that cost. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The processing of her car, spoke volumes.  To me, it said, "No thanks, we're not interested in evidence on this case."  The same goes for how they ignored the inmate in prison who tried to give information.  They eventually went because they were publicly shamed.  Of course, they acted eager then. And then they didn't even pursue the grandmother who hid evidence.  Just talk about how great of a citizen she is.  Please.  

And, I would be interested to know how many police officers who were murdered in this country and  are still unsolved.  They don't seem eager to solve that one either. 

No, they sure don't.  Several murders - at least two of which were planned executions - and I didn't get the sense that anyone but the victims' family members and friends were all that worried about it.  So strange.

• Love 7

I can see why the producers selected that case for a documentary on the disappearance of Crystal Rogers and murders (mother and daughter residents, Crystal's father AND the police officer).  Someone needs to be held responsible. What happened is bizarre, but, the response to what happened is even more unbelievable. I wonder if the FBI or state authorities has an investigation into LE and community/business leaders in that town.  I am suspicious of trying to blame this on a drug cartel or gang initiation.  Seems like diversion to me.  It's difficult for me to believe from what we saw, that the culprits are smart enough to cover their tracks.

I would feel very uncomfortable living or visiting that county.  I'd try to sale and get very far away.  I know they want to find Crystal and get justice for her her father's murder, but, until something big changes, what are the odds? 

• Love 8
On 9/30/2018 at 11:33 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

There are two more episodes; one tonight and one next Saturday. It sure seems as though the Keystone Kops are in charge. Even more so, it seems the people involved in the investigation just don't care if they uncover the truth or not.

I couldn't believe when the guy on the witness stand couldn't (wouldn't) say how long it took him to get to work at a job he'd held for over ten years! How on earth would he manage to be there on time? Then he just shrugs his shoulders like it's no big deal. Even Jessica's family doesn't believe these airheads.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, renatae said:

The defense already got the desired result; a hung jury.  Makes me sick.

• Love 1

One of the cases that really gets to me each time I see it is the case on Web Of Lies, where the teen (18) daughter, who is beaten and stabbed, keeps her attacker secret, lying in the hospital texting with this evil, violent boyfriend, as her parents, sister and police ask her who did it.  So, she continues to lie about it until the evil boyfriend goes to her house a week later and beats her dad to death with a sledgehammer. THEN, grabs the man's cell phone and texts to wife to come home from the hospital. She does, thinking text from husband, and she walks into trap, where he bludgeoned her to death too. These were kind people who had been super nice and kind to him.  Thank goodness he got the death penalty.  This guy's mother was on the show too.  She felt so bad for all concerned.  

• Love 4
21 hours ago, arejay said:

In the Jessica Chambers matter, remember Jerry King that "found" her keys? 

Say it like this: jERRYKing.

Just a thought......

And what a good thought it is!

Is there a tie between Tellis and King?  

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 1

Just watched the latest Kenda episode (The Cage), and I'm confused.  It was a guy who murdered his lover presumably because she wouldn't leave her husband, then he attempted suicide by shooting himself in the head but was not successful.  He apparently had severe lasting damage from the bullet.  Anyway, at the end, when they explained his sentencing, they said something about it only being a 4-year sentence, because otherwise he would have been sentenced to a hospital rather than a prison and that wouldn't be fair (I'm paraphrasing).  Huh?  Why is releasing him fair, regardless of where he would have served his sentence?  Isn't he going to have to be in a hospital anyway?  Or do they mean it would have been too expensive to have the state pay for all his hospital care for the rest of his life, thus not "fair"?  Usually when I have questions about afterwards, I go to Google and get the scoop from newspapers or to Murderpedia or to whatever, but I couldn't find anything at all, so I'm wondering if the names were completely changed.  It was Preston Lee and Ingrid Davis. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Anyway, at the end, when they explained his sentencing, they said something about it only being a 4-year sentence, because otherwise he would have been sentenced to a hospital rather than a prison and that wouldn't be fair (I'm paraphrasing).  Huh?  Why is releasing him fair, regardless of where he would have served his sentence?  Isn't he going to have to be in a hospital anyway?  Or do they mean it would have been too expensive to have the state pay for all his hospital care for the rest of his life, thus not "fair"? 

Yes, that was the reasoning - that the state would have to pay for his expensive care, which he will require for the rest of his life. Kenda said it was probably not the "correct" thing in many people's minds, but it was the practical thing.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Or do they mean it would have been too expensive to have the state pay for all his hospital care for the rest of his life, thus not "fair"? 

This is what I thought.
Do you remember what year this was.  I poked around on bing and duckduckgo, and didn't find anything either.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Usually when I have questions about afterwards, I go to Google and get the scoop from newspapers or to Murderpedia or to whatever, but I couldn't find anything at all, so I'm wondering if the names were completely changed.  It was Preston Lee and Ingrid Davis. 

Preston Lee is the actual name of the perpetrator.  The victim was Iris Daily.  The victim was found June 6, 1982. 

• Love 4

So I tend to be a lurker here (y'all have given me a lot of new names to spend hours on Wikipedia reading about), but I thought this thread night appreciate this anecdote. I've been taking a volunteer class in my town learning about the different aspects of our LEO agency, tonight was property crimes. The Sgt showed a photo of a commercial burglary where change (pennies) had been scattered on the ground. Before the officer said what it was, my friend thought it was puppy kibble. 

I thought it was blood splatter......

• Love 10

Did anyone watch Evil Twins last night? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I heard the narrator say there were 3 sets of twins in the family, but they only discussed 2 sets.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 3
On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 6:08 PM, InDueTime said:

Did anyone watch Evil Twins last night? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I heard the narrator say there were 3 sets of twins in the family, but they only discussed 2 sets.

Yes, there were twins of twins.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 12:33 PM, arejay said:

In the Jessica Chambers matter, remember Jerry King that "found" her keys? 

Say it like this: jERRYKing.

Just a thought......

I missed Saturday’s episode so I don’t know how the Eric or Derrick being named by Jessica was addressed. I have to say though, since you posted this, I have wondered if anyone involved in the investigation even thought of Jerry King possibly being Eric. 

• Love 4