Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I don't know if anyone else caught the first two hour episode, but The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers on Oxygen was excellent.  Apparently it's being done as a series, but I'm not sure how many more episodes are in this season.  Crystal was a 35 year old mother of five who disappeared from Bardstown, Kentucky in July 2015 (and whose boyfriend IMO is guilty as sin of killing her even if they can't prove it).

And even though it's called The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers, it appears like it's going to address other unsolved murders in the same small town, including the murder of Crystal's own father, of a police officer, and of a special ed teacher and her teen daughter. 

I'm from Kentucky, so KY cases are of particular interest to me and this one seems really well done so far.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

There's an old Unsolved Mysteries about a cabbie who was fitted with a bomb and forced to rob a bank. Weird that it happened again. 

Wasn't there another case where a bank employee was forced at gunpoint to rob the bank she worked for(and was thought by many to be in on it)?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Did anyone watch Broken Trust on Wendesday, the 19th? I'm not blaming the victim at all. However, as the episode went on, I wanted to grab her by shoulders and shake some sense into her. I get wanting to give someone a second chance, but come on. Letting the layabout, theiving handyman borrow her truck, which he delayed bringing back looted. Then, she takes in some woman off the street. Soon after, she takes some of the woman's things and runs off. Then, she buys a gun from the handyman, of all people; and, surprise surprise, gets screwed over again. Why him, I'll never understand. As she keeps demanding the gun she paid for, eventually, he bludgeons her to death. He got only 30 years; with the possibility of parole. The victim thought a gun to would keep her safe, and it was the gun deal that lead to her being in danger. Nonetheless, Rest in Peace.

Yeah, I saw that one, too. I admire her wanting to help somebody, but agreed, she was WAY too trusting. You can help somebody and still set some boundaries.

15 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

There's an old Unsolved Mysteries about a cabbie who was fitted with a bomb and forced to rob a bank. Weird that it happened again. 

I don't know if I've heard that story before. May have to look it up sometime-you have me curious now.

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It would seem to me that committing just about any kind of crime would be so risky now days. With the ability LE has to trace your DNA, prints on just about anything, trace receipts, purchases, surveillance footage on roads, stores, homes, GPS on phones and cars, etc.  It would seem that if local police and especially the FBI put their full effort into it, you wouldn't have a chance to hide what you did.

Oh, god, last night I was watching an "American Monster" episode about a woman who killed the wife of this guy with whom she was having an affair, and one of the reasons the police were able to nab her and the woman's husband (as he was in on this murder conspiracy) was because of the car she rented and the blood found in the car.

I was sitting here thinking, why in the hell would you use a rental car as part of your crime? You either wouldn't be able to or couldn't return it, for fear that evidence will be discovered in the car....but if you don't return it, that will tip off the rental car company, 'cause they're gonna want their car back eventually and you could get in trouble for stealing and that opens you up to further investigation in general.

Or you do return it, thinking you've gotten rid of all the possible evidence....but oh, look, the next person who takes the car, or the rental company itself, discovers a piece of evidence or a blood stain or something that got missed in the cleanup attempt, and boom, they're off to alert the police, and all they have to do is go through the most recent people who rented the car, which narrows down the suspect list pretty quickly. You'd be boxed in and at risk of getting caught either way.

Of course, the obvious solution is to just, y'know, not commit a crime in the first place, but...yeah. It's good for investigators and society at large, though, that many criminals are too stupid/arrogant to not think about how easy it can be for them to get caught. The more mistakes they make, the easier nabbing them becomes. 

• Love 7

On American Monster, that was a horrible murder of the woman by her husband's girlfriend.  He really wanted her dead. He had TRIED to get his previous girlfriend to murder his wife.  What a loser!  The killer also abducted the victim in the parking lot of Target.  Right in front of multiple people.  

On American Monster, I was outraged with the former Mormon brothers who murdered their sister-in-law and 18 month old niece.  SO SENSELESS!  I was confused though.  Why didn't her husband stand by and not warn her?  He wasn't charged, but, I found his absence in the thing odd. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

On American Monster, that was a horrible murder of the woman by her husband's girlfriend.  He really wanted her dead. He had TRIED to get his previous girlfriend to murder his wife.  What a loser!  The killer also abducted the victim in the parking lot of Target.  Right in front of multiple people.  

Yeah, he was a real piece of work. Spent the night with his mistress while the community was searching for his wife, too. Like, if you want to avoid looking guilty, bud, maybe don't do that? I felt bad for the children. They lose their mom and they had a scumbag of a dad. 

On American Monster, I was outraged with the former Mormon brothers who murdered their sister-in-law and 18 month old niece.  SO SENSELESS!  I was confused though.  Why didn't her husband stand by and not warn her?  He wasn't charged, but, I found his absence in the thing odd. 

That story was horrifying. Killing an 18-month old. I just... That one investigator recalling the day he went to the house and came upon the victims-the haunted look in his eyes said it all. 

Good question about her husband. He claims that he didn't think his brothers were serious, but still, he knew they were exhibiting really weird and creepy behavior in general as it was, so...yeah. Wouldn't have hurt to sound the alarm anyway. I know the brothers claimed they had a "vision" that the wife and daughter were to die, but I wonder if there was more to the story, some other reason why they targeted them specifically. Usually in cases like this, these kinds of killers start with their own immediate families first. Thank goodness their own families were spared a similar tragic fate, at least. 

When they showed the clips of the brothers in their prison garb, they looked like they should've been part of Manson's gang. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I read a story online about one of the former Mormon brothers in prison and even after many years, he has no regrets. He says God wanted him to murder the mother and baby!  He says he was bound by God to do his work.  I think it's BS.  I don't believe that he has a true delusion.  He and brother are just sociopaths. More like Bundy. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I don't know if anyone else caught the first two hour episode, but The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers on Oxygen was excellent.  Apparently it's being done as a series, but I'm not sure how many more episodes are in this season.  Crystal was a 35 year old mother of five who disappeared from Bardstown, Kentucky in July 2015 (and whose boyfriend IMO is guilty as sin of killing her even if they can't prove it).

And even though it's called The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers, it appears like it's going to address other unsolved murders in the same small town, including the murder of Crystal's own father, of a police officer, and of a special ed teacher and her teen daughter. 

I'm from Kentucky, so KY cases are of particular interest to me and this one seems really well done so far.

Yes, I watched it and was pleasantly surprised.  It has the makings of an excellent small town murder mystery.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Harvey McCloud was the cabbie. Here you go. http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Harvey_McCloud

Okay, first off, I love that there is an "Unsolved Mysteries" Wiki page. There goes my evening :p.

Second, thanks for the link-what a strange scheme. Very glad that McCloud escaped without injury, and that he managed to protect the people at the bank from a potential tragedy as well. Smart guy. I hope they can figure out who did this at some point.

• Love 4

Pink Collar Crimes last night was pretty good. I thought the woman getting a second chance after all her fraud was okay. She seemed to have learned, changed and moved forward with a good testimony. But, how in the hell will she ever pay back 12 million dollars in restitution?

• Love 3

Yeah, he was a real piece of work. Spent the night with his mistress while the community was searching for his wife, too. Like, if you want to avoid looking guilty, bud, maybe don't do that? I felt bad for the children. They lose their mom and they had a scumbag of a dad. 

The pair were painfully stupid. When the cop comes to the mistress house to speak with her the morning after the disappearance both she and the husband answer door in their underwear. Seriously, have they not watched a crime show. Also I believe mistress disguised herself but wrote her real name down on rental car receipt. Painful.

Some guys just get off having multiple woman wanting them. There was another Cold Case File where a pregnant nurse was murdered in her home after a struggle and after ten years they found the killer was her husband's ex- lover who happened to be an LA detective. The killer dated the husband in college and then was dumped for the wife but the husband kept having an affair with ex-girlfriend right up until wife got pregnant. My roll-the-eyes moment was when the husband testified that he had ended the affair a few months before murder and had sex with killer/ex-girlfriend to give HER closure. Riiiigggghht. Ladies please don't fight over a guy. They usually aren't worth it. IMO.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Tardislass said:

My roll-the-eyes moment was when the husband testified that he had ended the affair a few months before murder and had sex with killer/ex-girlfriend to give HER closure. Riiiigggghht. Ladies please don't fight over a guy. They usually aren't worth it. IMO.

Bolded for emphasis. YES. 

And I'll join you in the eye-rolling. Good lord.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That story was horrifying. Killing an 18-month old. I just... That one investigator recalling the day he went to the house and came upon the victims-the haunted look in his eyes said it all. 

Good question about her husband. He claims that he didn't think his brothers were serious, but still, he knew they were exhibiting really weird and creepy behavior in general as it was, so...yeah. Wouldn't have hurt to sound the alarm anyway. I know the brothers claimed they had a "vision" that the wife and daughter were to die, but I wonder if there was more to the story, some other reason why they targeted them specifically. Usually in cases like this, these kinds of killers start with their own immediate families first. Thank goodness their own families were spared a similar tragic fate, at least. 

When they showed the clips of the brothers in their prison garb, they looked like they should've been part of Manson's gang. 

I had it on, but really wasn't paying a lot of attention until about halfway through when all the names starting ringing a bell and I realized that was the case that Jon Krakauer wrote a book about probably 15 years ago or so called Under the Banner of Heaven.  Good read, but don't think that you're getting a quick and dirty retelling of the crime.  I no longer have the book, but I recall that it was pretty big and it seemed like the vast majority of it was about the history of Mormonism and it bogs down a bit if you're just wanting to get to the "good stuff".   Although I think all of that shocked me more than the actual crime.  Before that most of what I knew about Mormonism was from South Park.  That's as far as I'll go with that to avoid getting into a discussion of religion that could possibly be offensive to some.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 5

I didn't read the book, but, have read quite a bit about The Church of Later Day Saints.  I said Mormons, but, I should be more sensitive, since, I know they prefer LDS, not Mormon, but, the killers had been excommunicated from the the LDS church.  They were teaching and practicing stuff that was not according to the church, like wanting to start polygamy and the LDS church does not condone that. Plus, all the crazy anti-government stuff.....I didn't see it as the church's fault, but, their own mean asses.  I get that they were abused, but, once grown, it was on them to keep themselves from killing innocent people.  

• Love 2

I have just recently started watching See no Evil on ID. I love this show. Something about capturing  the movement of those involved is fascinating.  I watched one yesterday about a young woman named Jordy she is seen walking away from a bar with 2 men. Because of the survalience camera on a home you see Jordy and one man walking down the street and you see the attack (sort of it's dark)he stabbed her. My question to anyone that has seen this episode , does he explain why? My dvr cut off after he was arrested. From what I recall they were strangers. 

• Love 4
On 8/7/2018 at 8:12 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I've seen similar shows, one is called Life or Death or something like that. I find them interesting too. I appreciate what you are saying about how sometimes the prosecutors and/or police get on a mission that may not really be based on fact, like Kelly Siegler, of Cold Justice.  She really crossed the line and I now boycott her show.  I no longer trust her.  No telling how many cases she has messed up.  I don't know how they could put someone on death row or prison for life, when they shouldn't be there AND they know it. 

I think that a lot of people who commit crimes, especially young people, don't realize that if you are committing a felony, and someone gets killed, EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T mean to kill them, it's first degree murder by felony murder rule.  So, if your accomplice shoots someone during the crime, it's on you. If your gun accidentally discharges, that's on you too.  What if you scare the victim and they die from a heart attack?  That's tricky, but, it is likely to be on you too.  So, if you are committing armed robbery and the victim attacks you, and you kill them in self defense......it's probably still murder by felony murder rule.  Just my guess.  I wonder if that was the reasoning in the case you mention above, Tardislass.

What line did Kelly Seigler cross? I obviously missed something important.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, Annber03 said:

This was horrifying! I think the reason they targeted her was that she was not about to sit around and let them dominate her and encouraged the other wives to do the same. IIRC, she devised a plan for all of them to leave. So, in their eyes, she was someone who "needed killing" because she was too much of an influence on the other wives. But the baby! What madness.

To answer an earlier question about another bank employee being forced to rob her bank, yes, that did happen. She was young and I think she was a manager or assistant manager and the perp was threatening to kill her very young daughter.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 3

Forgot that I came here to talk about the "Evil Lives Here" episode wherein the boyfriend kills six women, but the girlfriend had no idea, mostly because she ignored multiple events that should have told anyone this guy was trouble.

First, a young woman accused him of trying to kidnap her, but he said she "must have misunderstood" and the police let him go. Then her niece accuses him of inappropriate touching, and he once again says she must have misunderstood, they were just roughhousing. Then the niece goes missing a month or so later and no one suspects him? He wound up killing six women, including the 14 year old niece and the girlfriend's good friend. So tragic. The girlfriend's family blamed her and she blamed herself for bringing him into their lives.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, renatae said:

What line did Kelly Seigler cross? I obviously missed something important.

I was referring to what Kelly did in another case.  Though, other cases are now under suspicion due to what came out about her. Here's a link about the David Temple case. 

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/unreasonable-doubt-did-kelly-siegler-really-railroad-an-innocent-man-eight-years-ago-7860329

The conviction was overturned with a scathing opinion from the court about the improper things that Kelly did.  AND, to make matters worse, Kelly went on some show, like 48 Hours or something where she denied so many things that were undeniable. Her demeanor was deplorable and defiant. Pretty scary.  It was shocking and horrifying and I was embarrassed for her.  As a huge former fan.....I could hardly believe it, but, it's true and I no longer support her.  I had heard stories of this kind of thing years earlier, but, did not believe them. I thought she was better than that.....then, it was undeniable.  I don't trust anything from her anymore and I would worry that her touching a case would taint it.  You might find more on it, if you're interested on the Cold Justice forum here. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Okay, what is a Visiting Judge?  A judge hired by the defense?

In what context?  One meaning is when a case is heard by a presiding judge who is from another judicial district.  Most judges work in a certain geographical areas, like one county or several counties that comprise a certain district. They are divided that way for voting purposes, among other things. Sometimes, a visiting judge from another county or judicial district will visit to preside over a case for various reasons, like, sickness, they are short a judge, personal relationships between local judges and attorneys, might need someone more impartial, etc  

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Tardislass said:

Some guys just get off having multiple woman wanting them. There was another Cold Case File where a pregnant nurse was murdered in her home after a struggle and after ten years they found the killer was her husband's ex- lover who happened to be an LA detective. The killer dated the husband in college and then was dumped for the wife but the husband kept having an affair with ex-girlfriend right up until wife got pregnant. My roll-the-eyes moment was when the husband testified that he had ended the affair a few months before murder and had sex with killer/ex-girlfriend to give HER closure. Riiiigggghht. Ladies please don't fight over a guy. They usually aren't worth it. IMO.

I remember that one.  The guy slept with her the night before his wedding, "One last time so she would leave us alone".  Putz.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I have just recently started watching See no Evil on ID. I love this show. Something about capturing  the movement of those involved is fascinating.  I watched one yesterday about a young woman named Jordy she is seen walking away from a bar with 2 men. Because of the survalience camera on a home you see Jordy and one man walking down the street and you see the attack (sort of it's dark)he stabbed her. My question to anyone that has seen this episode , does he explain why? My dvr cut off after he was arrested. From what I recall they were strangers. 

I've seen it before, but, I double checked to make sure it was the one that I thought it was.  She and one guy got into an argument after they left the bar. The tattooed man was the one who killed her. Two guys actually walked off from the bar with her, because she had promised them a ride home in her car, but, after walking around for a good while, she couldn't locate her car, they thought she was lying and the guy with the shirt, walked home alone. Tattoo guy stayed with Jordy and apparently, they were arguing about her lying about having a car or not being able to find her car.    As they walk along, (this is filmed by a camera up on a post at a local B&B) he gets really upset with her and stabs her.  He hides her body in the bushes, leaves to get his girlfriend to help him, then returns with her to get Jordy's body from the bushes. puts it in the car, and drives off.  They then go off camera, but, drive to the man's family's home and burn the body. When some people are overserved alcohol, they tend to get belligerent.  This can really go wrong if you're with a person who has rage issues and you upset them.   Here's an article about it.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20170531/man-who-stabbed-st-augustine-artist-to-death-is-sentenced-to-50-years

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've seen it before, but, I double checked to make sure it was the one that I thought it was.  She and one guy got into an argument after they left the bar. The tattooed man was the one who killed her. Two guys actually walked off from the bar with her, because she had promised them a ride home in her car, but, after walking around for a good while, she couldn't locate her car, they thought she was lying and the guy with the shirt, walked home alone. Tattoo guy stayed with Jordy and apparently, they were arguing about her lying about having a car or not being able to find her car.    As they walk along, (this is filmed by a camera up on a post at a local B&B) he gets really upset with her and stabs her.  He hides her body in the bushes, leaves to get his girlfriend to help him, then returns with her to get Jordy's body from the bushes. puts it in the car, and drives off.  They then go off camera, but, drive to the man's family's home and burn the body. When some people are overserved alcohol, they tend to get belligerent.  This can really go wrong if you're with a person who has rage issues and you upset them.   Here's an article about it.

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/20170531/man-who-stabbed-st-augustine-artist-to-death-is-sentenced-to-50-years

Thank you so much. 

9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In what context?  One meaning is when a case is heard by a presiding judge who is from another judicial district.  Most judges work in a certain geographical areas, like one county or several counties that comprise a certain district. They are divided that way for voting purposes, among other things. Sometimes, a visiting judge from another county or judicial district will visit to preside over a case for various reasons, like, sickness, they are short a judge, personal relationships between local judges and attorneys, might need someone more impartial, etc  

From the article you posted on David Temple. 

In July 2015, visiting Judge Larry Gist issued his damning decree:

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks! I had no idea about this. I've seen coverage of her cases on various shows, and had watched a couple of her own series programs. Interestingly enough, the author of the article you cited above went to great pains to refute Gist's and others' claims against Kelly. Will definitely be keeping my eye out in future!

• Love 1

Kelly still has her supporters, but, after all that I saw, read, learned etc., I think it was just too much for her to refute. If you're interested, watching Kelly's own words in that show that featured the case, I think it was 48 Hours, provides the best insight. Her defenses just don't hold up, make no sense and actually are so preposterous that they are insulting, imo. 

• Love 6

I've started watching ATL Homicide, on TV1, and recommend it.
https://tvone.tv/show/atl-homicide/

ETA:  Just watched a Snapped on the Whitehead twins, the Georgia case where the teen twins murdered their mother.
I learned a lot about the background, that I don't remember knowing from other shows that featured this case.
At the moment, I don't see it on the schedule again, but if you see it, it's worth watching.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 5

I think it's supposed to be on Labor Day? They've been advertising a thing with Candice DeLong hosting premieres of various shows old and new that day, and I would assume "Deadly Women" will be among those with new episodes as a result. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Nah. Deadly Women and Homicide Hunter are the ones I am sure to record. I would record more but I have no DVR space.

I like both of those shows. They also both tend to have short seasons. I know Homicide Hunter is coming up soon, but my reason for enjoying that show is not the cases but the always entertaining Joe Kenda.

• Love 8

I don't watch many deadly women, or evil twins, or other shows where the title gives away the perp.  I want whodunits.
See No Evil is the one I always record, Nightmare Next Door for its campy dialog.  (Nothing will ever top "Hilda was found dead on Good Friday, but there was no resurrection for her on Easter."  Yeah, offensive, but...)
I wish Murder Book would be brought back, and I want more of the Zodiac decoding series.
(OK, it's not called Murder Box, but it is a box, and not a book.)

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 5
On 8/6/2018 at 6:00 PM, Sile said:

That's so funny,  I used to sort of know Kenda (professionally!) and it cracks me up that I kind of actually fangirl over him now.

A few years back I was watching some Homicide Hunter out of boredom and Kenda's accent pinged my ears with the tell-tale signs of Western PA (where like 99% of my family is from--my faction moved south in the late 70s), so I look up his wiki page to see if I'm right. Well, not only was my accent detecting skills on point, but I also found out that he graduated from high school in the same class as my mother and was at Pitt at the same time both my parents attended. The next time I was at their house, I had to convince them that this guy (whom, by Mom's account was a kind of boring goodie two shoes dweeb in high school) was *the*  ID channel break-out star and people actually bought standees of him and go on cruises and to conventions to meet him.  I'm still not sure that they believe me, because they think it is pretty absurd. LOL!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 8/15/2018 at 6:03 AM, renatae said:

Forgot that I came here to talk about the "Evil Lives Here" episode wherein the boyfriend kills six women, but the girlfriend had no idea, mostly because she ignored multiple events that should have told anyone this guy was trouble.

First, a young woman accused him of trying to kidnap her, but he said she "must have misunderstood" and the police let him go. Then her niece accuses him of inappropriate touching, and he once again says she must have misunderstood, they were just roughhousing. Then the niece goes missing a month or so later and no one suspects him? He wound up killing six women, including the 14 year old niece and the girlfriend's good friend. So tragic. The girlfriend's family blamed her and she blamed herself for bringing him into their lives.

That one was rough. I kept trying to put myself in the position of a loving partner who doesn't watch ten hours of murder shows every week so I could understand her ignorance. Would I have suspected him? I like to think I would have. 

Did anyone watch Bad Henry? It was really good, and creepy. I can't help but think about how many black male serial killers are out there going to town because people, even/especially police, don't suspect them of those types of crimes and/or don't bother to connect murders of black women. This guy actually killed his girlfriend's good friend and then went with her to the police station to report the friend missing. Then he killed two women in the same apartment complex while the police were in the area looking for him. Seriously creepy.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

That one was rough. I kept trying to put myself in the position of a loving partner who doesn't watch ten hours of murder shows every week so I could understand her ignorance. Would I have suspected him? I like to think I would have.

Did anyone watch Bad Henry? It was really good, and creepy. I can't help but think about how many black male serial killers are out there going to town because people, even/especially police, don't suspect them of those types of crimes and/or don't bother to connect murders of black women. This guy actually killed his girlfriend's good friend and then went with her to the police station to report the friend missing. Then he killed two women in the same apartment complex while the police were in the area looking for him. Seriously creepy.

I love when Evil Lives Here does the "There were signs" because I'm usually thinking, signs? They were hitting you over the head with signs. I'm laughing at "the loving partner who doesn't watch ten hours of murder shows," because I'm guilty. From ID to British crime fiction, I love it all.

I think it was TaraS1 who suggested The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers. Excellent show, no cheesy re-enactments.  I have to pay attention to the Oxygen shows. I'm also watching the Pink Collar Crimes on CBS. A nice refreshing change from murder.

• Love 11
On 8/8/2018 at 8:54 AM, Lovecat said:

Is anyone watching the 4-part series Evil Genius on Netflix?  The first episode tells the story of a pizza delivery guy who is kidnapped, fitted with a collar bomb, and forced to rob a bank...and ends with a 911 call reporting a body in a freezer. Shit gets weird from there ;)  I devoured 3 episodes last night and am fixin’ to finish today.

I thought that series was great. I remembered the story but didn't know the details. What a strange group of people, and all hoarders!  I ended up thinking the pizza guy was an unwitting dupe and felt bad for him and his family. Really well done documentary. 

• Love 4

Is anyone watching Dark Waters? I thought this one episode was pretty interesting about Jeff Skelton.  He's serving time for second degree murder of his wife's boyfriend. (He, wife and victim all worked at the same company.)  Supposedly, two days prior to the lover being murdered, Jeff threw his wife, whom he was still living with, into a lake and let her flounder around, as she couldn't swim.  He scooped her up and saved her though and took her to shore.  Then, after she went to stay with her lover, he went over to shoot lover in the foot, but, ended up shooting lover in the foot, chest, groin and eye, pointed the gun at wife, but, walked away and didn't shoot her. He soon turned himself in. Wife had admitted to the affair months earlier, said it was over and stayed with husband. But, the affair continued and a friend told Jeff that they were still having the affair...others knew...he was destroyed emotionally over this.  Was there prior mental illness?  I might have missed that part. 

This was a rather odd case, imo.  I don't side with the murderer, but, I wonder why the wife insisted on publicly humiliating her husband, rubbing the affair in his face and lying about it being over with the lover.  She knew her husband was teetering with his stability, but, just didn't seem to care.  I'm not saying that she made him kill the guy, but, it seemed that she placed the lover in danger, when that was not needed.  Plus, get divorced, then pick it up with lover, especially, when you have a minor child in the home.  The kid was devastated.  

Here's some pieces about it.

https://www.postbulletin.com/murder-suspect-allegedly-dumped-wife-in-lake-too/article_f7fc933a-25b7-5162-a528-de7ab4c78b71.html

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-jeff-skelton-still-in-prison-the-new-dark-waters-episode-examines-a-crime-of-passion-9996253

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, nokat said:

I think it was TaraS1 who suggested The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers. Excellent show, no cheesy re-enactments.

I agree.  This is a fascinating show, and I can't wait until the next episode (well, actually, I CAN, since I refuse to look up anything about the town or the murders - I want to see the mystery unfold just by watching the show ... SO, NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!).  ;-)

• Love 9
9 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I can't wait until the next episode (well, actually, I CAN, since I refuse to look up anything about the town or the murders - I want to see the mystery unfold just by watching the show ... SO, NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!).  ;-)

I'm torn between waiting, and looking it up.

It seems like one of those those unsolvable things, like where is Malaysia flight 370.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone watching Dark Waters? I thought this one episode was pretty interesting about Jeff Skelton.  He's serving time for second degree murder of his wife's boyfriend. (He, wife and victim all worked at the same company.)  Supposedly, two days prior to the lover being murdered, Jeff threw his wife, whom he was still living with, into a lake and let her flounder around, as she couldn't swim.  He scooped her up and saved her though and took her to shore.  Then, after she went to stay with her lover, he went over to shoot lover in the foot, but, ended up shooting lover in the foot, chest, groin and eye, pointed the gun at wife, but, walked away and didn't shoot her. He soon turned himself in. Wife had admitted to the affair months earlier, said it was over and stayed with husband. But, the affair continued and a friend told Jeff that they were still having the affair...others knew...he was destroyed emotionally over this.  Was there prior mental illness?  I might have missed that part. 

This was a rather odd case, imo.  I don't side with the murderer, but, I wonder why the wife insisted on publicly humiliating her husband, rubbing the affair in his face and lying about it being over with the lover.  She knew her husband was teetering with his stability, but, just didn't seem to care.  I'm not saying that she made him kill the guy, but, it seemed that she placed the lover in danger, when that was not needed.  Plus, get divorced, then pick it up with lover, especially, when you have a minor child in the home.  The kid was devastated.  

Here's some pieces about it.

https://www.postbulletin.com/murder-suspect-allegedly-dumped-wife-in-lake-too/article_f7fc933a-25b7-5162-a528-de7ab4c78b71.html

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-jeff-skelton-still-in-prison-the-new-dark-waters-episode-examines-a-crime-of-passion-9996253

This is one of my favorite new shows on ID! I think it's really well done overall and has had stories I haven't heard before. Re the specific episode you mentioned, I totally agree with everything you said. Very sad and weird case. I think when his daughter tried to commit suicide, it sent him over the edge. The blurb at the end says the wife divorced him but both daughter and ex visit him in jail. I don't know how the ex lives with herself.

The other DW story I had never heard of and found really fascinating was the one about Mac and Muff and the unfortunately not deserted island. I'm tempted to see if any books have been written about that. I'm sure there's a lot more interesting details.

ETA: Apparently Vincent Bugliosi wrote a book about it called And The Sea Will Tell. I remember hearing about that book a long time ago. Plus there was a TV movie. I'll have to check it out.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 4