Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay....tonight on Web of Lies....this mother, who got catfished....ALMOST had her child kidnapped TWICE!!!! By the same woman! All because she was Sooo horny for a man...who didn't even exist. AND she wouldn't report it to the police! Too scared to get her fictional boyfriend in trouble. She was crying and talking about how bad she felt letting her kids down. Really?? I hope her mom got custody of those kids. She was too clueless to parent those 3 kids. You have to see this episode. Beats anything I've seen like this before. BIZARRE!

My jaw was hitting the floor during this episode.  You're right, I've NEVER seen anything like it.  

No wonder the cops didn't believe her story.  I'm sure they were sitting there thinking, "This has to be a lie, NO ONE can be this FUCKING STUPID."

Yet she WAS that fucking stupid.  Ugh.  Her delusional ass took the term "stupid" to a whole 'nother level.  

And, perhaps an unpopular opinion, but that woman had 3 beautiful children all under the age of 3.  The youngest was only 5 months old...and yet here she is, scouring the internet looking for "love" in spite of her profession of loving her perfect life as a single mom to three children.  Again, ugh.  Bitch, concentrate on raising your beautiful children and put your overactive hormones on hold for a hot minute.  I've always said ID Discovery could rename this series "People Doing Dumb Shit and Dying," but this woman was beyond the pale.  

On a side note, I was rather shocked the catfish/kidnapper only served 6 months.  That seemed a bit light.  

• Love 20
(edited)

I also laughed when the mother's mother, said to the camera that when the baby was about 6 months old, that her daughter needed some loving.....and not from her!  lol  I don't think the loving was helping this young mother.  Maybe, she needed to read some books on parenting or child safety and stay off hook up sites.  lol That's one thing that always seems to mystify me.  How do some people have their face stuck in their phone 24/7, but, they never seem to run across any information about child welfare, health, nutrition, safety, etc.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 16

I kept yelling at the TV "STOP HAVING BABIES YOU CAN'T TAKE CARE OF, YOU IDIOT!!!"

Web of Lies (and one of my other favorites, "Dates From Hell") has a considerable number of episodes about women with children doing outrageously stupid things, like inviting their online "boyfriend" over to their house around their small defenseless children, a scenario which always makes my blood pressure skyrocket, but this moron just took the proverbial cake.  

I'll say one thing, though...for a season premiere, this episode definitely did NOT disappoint.  Web of Lies and Fear They Neighbor are probably my favorite two ID Discovery programs, but I wonder if they'll ever resurrect Dates From Hell.  Surely they haven't run out of material for it what with all the idiots in the world.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

My jaw was hitting the floor during this episode.  You're right, I've NEVER seen anything like it.  

No wonder the cops didn't believe her story.  I'm sure they were sitting there thinking, "This has to be a lie, NO ONE can be this FUCKING STUPID."

Yet she WAS that fucking stupid.  Ugh.  Her delusional ass took the term "stupid" to a whole 'nother level.  

And, perhaps an unpopular opinion, but that woman had 3 beautiful children all under the age of 3.  The youngest was only 5 months old...and yet here she is, scouring the internet looking for "love" in spite of her profession of loving her perfect life as a single mom to three children.  Again, ugh.  Bitch, concentrate on raising your beautiful children and put your overactive hormones on hold for a hot minute.  I've always said ID Discovery could rename this series "People Doing Dumb Shit and Dying," but this woman was beyond the pale.  

On a side note, I was rather shocked the catfish/kidnapper only served 6 months.  That seemed a bit light.  

OMG! I will admit that I was flipping back and forth during this episode but I was watching, saying did you just leave your three children with a virtual stranger? So stupid! I am always amazed at the lengths people go to, to not be alone; I have been alone for a long time and it's actually kind of nice. This one totally takes the cake in terms of stupidity and naivete!!

• Love 18
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Web Of Lies with the mother who had her child taken, has really caused me to wonder about some things.  Police couldn't really figure out why the woman took the kids. They speculated that she just wanted to care for a baby.  They didn't uncover some plan for the woman to sell the baby.  So, it makes me wonder if we really saw everything.  Was there more to the story than came out? 

I was wondering about that, too. It seems odd to go to all this ruse just to simply care for a kid for a while, so yeah, I have to think there was some even darker scheme being planned. If there was, luckily they weren't able to put any other part of the plan into action, it seems. 

• Love 8

Yeah, it seemed really weird for that woman to keep caring for the baby, keeping him too long THEN returning him.  Strange.  Why couldn't she have just started a babysitting service in her home? She could have gotten paid for doing it.  I just wonder if there were conversations between the two women about the child care that never came out. I wonder what the woman actually admitted to.

If anyone let me sit in a car down some dark lonely alley, by myself, in a strange city ALL NIGHT, all the while wondering where my baby was!!!!  I'm pretty sure there would not be a next time of anything with them, no matter who was on their deathbed. 

• Love 13
(edited)
29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, it seemed really weird for that woman to keep caring for the baby, keeping him too long THEN returning him.  Strange.  Why couldn't she have just started a babysitting service in her home? She could have gotten paid for doing it.  I just wonder if there were conversations between the two women about the child care that never came out. I wonder what the woman actually admitted to.

If anyone let me sit in a car down some dark lonely alley, by myself, in a strange city ALL NIGHT, all the while wondering where my baby was!!!!  I'm pretty sure there would not be a next time of anything with them, no matter who was on their deathbed. 

And that seemingly extremely light sentence of 6 months.  

I also wonder if there were details ID Discovery left out. 

Anybody see the episode of Dark Waters entitled "Burning"?  I was intrigued by the case and Googled for more info.  Wow, did ID Discovery leave out a BIG chunk of information on the relationship between the ex-husband and the ex-wife portrayed in that episode.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Anybody see the episode of Dark Waters entitled "Burning"?  I was intrigued by the case and Googled for more info.  Wow, did ID Discovery leave out a BIG chunk of information on the relationship between the male ex-husband and the ex-wife portrayed in that episode.  

I've seen that story before on something. This article addresses how Dark Waters might not have portrayed the deceased wife all that accurately.  

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/dark-waters-burned

There was another show on recently that featured a man convicted of murdering his wife. They played A LOT of audio recordings of the parties arguing. I think the husband had made these recordings.   At trial, police, attorneys and the family, played it out that the recordings showed the husband to be the abusive, controlling, at fault party and the wife was the victim.  Well.......no one deserves to be murdered, and I absolutely detest anyone who abuses a family member, but, I just never got that she was the victim during the marriage from the recordings.  It sounded to me like the wife was the bully and dominant spouse. I can see how that woman's words would have put a spouse in severe emotional distress.   Even the family said that she had a volatile temper.  The way she talked to her husband said to me that she was NOT afraid of him as she let anything she wanted to say come out.  I can't imagine being in the house with that woman for one day.  I suppose the jury saw just cause to convict the husband of murder.  He got life without parole.  He really should have just left her.  I don't understand why people seem intent on saving a marriage that is full of verbal banter and discord.  

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Anybody see the episode of Dark Waters entitled "Burning"?  I was intrigued by the case and Googled for more info.  Wow, did ID Discovery leave out a BIG chunk of information on the relationship between the male ex-husband and the ex-wife portrayed in that episode.  

They leave out a lot of tawrdy details, often.  I get that, but if it's central to the story, they should find some way to tactfully include it.  And since the info is easily found by searching, it's not like it's a big secret.

I googled the store of Breck Bednar after seeing his Web Of Lies ep.  I couldn't understand why Lewis was trying so hard to isolate him from his friends and get him to leave home, under only the guise of working for him and making money.  But there are a number of British papers who reported that there was "evidence of sexual activity", and then Lewis bound him, put duct tape over his mouth, slit his throat, then posted pictures of it online (leading to his family finding out about it before police did).  It makes it sound like Lewis wanted something Breck didn't, then forced him in to something, then killed him to keep him from talking.

Lewis is a sick individual, because he posted more photos of Breck after he died from prison, using software that hides his location.  When Breck's mother complained, British officials and Yahoo both said there was nothing they could do about it, and they stayed up.  Sadly, she encountered similar brick walls when she reported Lewis to police because she was concerned that this 19 year old was overly-engaging her 14 year old.

• Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've seen that story before on something. This article addresses how Dark Waters might not have portrayed the deceased wife all that accurately.  

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/dark-waters-burned

There was another show on recently that featured a man convicted of murdering his wife. They played A LOT of audio recordings of the parties arguing. I think the husband had made these recordings.   At trial, police, attorneys and the family, played it out that the recordings showed the husband to be the abusive, controlling, at fault party and the wife was the victim.  Well.......no one deserves to be murdered, and I absolutely detest anyone who abuses a family member, but, I just never got that she was the victim during the marriage from the recordings.  It sounded to me like the wife was the bully and dominant spouse. I can see how that woman's words would have put a spouse in severe emotional distress.   Even the family said that she had a volatile temper.  The way she talked to her husband said to me that she was NOT afraid of him as she let anything she wanted to say come out.  I can't imagine being in the house with that woman for one day.  I suppose the jury saw just cause to convict the husband of murder.  He got life without parole.  He really should have just left her.  I don't understand why people seem intent on saving a marriage that is full of verbal banter and discord.  

Oh, is this the same case on this week's Til Death Us Do Part?  I think I saw the previews for it last night whilst watching Web of Lies and it looked really intriguing.  

And yeah, even the reporter interviewed on Dark Waters (who initially investigated the case as the lead reporter at the time it happened, I believe) said ID Discovery chose to portray Karen as "saintly."  Also, I eye rolled (and snorted) at the choice of actors ID Discovery cast to represent the two real-life people.  Oy!

8 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

They leave out a lot of tawrdy details, often.  I get that, but if it's central to the story, they should find some way to tactfully include it.  And since the info is easily found by searching, it's not like it's a big secret.

I googled the store of Breck Bednar after seeing his Web Of Lies ep.  I couldn't understand why Lewis was trying so hard to isolate him from his friends and get him to leave home, under only the guise of working for him and making money.  But there are a number of British papers who reported that there was "evidence of sexual activity", and then Lewis bound him, put duct tape over his mouth, slit his throat, then posted pictures of it online (leading to his family finding out about it before police did).  It makes it sound like Lewis wanted something Breck didn't, then forced him in to something, then killed him to keep him from talking.

Lewis is a sick individual, because he posted more photos of Breck after he died from prison, using software that hides his location.  When Breck's mother complained, British officials and Yahoo both said there was nothing they could do about it, and they stayed up.  Sadly, she encountered similar brick walls when she reported Lewis to police because she was concerned that this 19 year old was overly-engaging her 14 year old.

This one sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm going to have re-watch it.  There were several past episodes/seasons I think I missed when I was without cable.  

I agree with you 100% regarding if the details are critical to the ultimate outcome, they should be included.  I know the dynamic between the couple featured on Dark Waters was, IMO, extremely important because it added significantly to the motive.  Crazy.

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 4
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

This one sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm going to have re-watch it.  There were several past episodes/seasons I think I missed when I was without cable.  

I agree with you 100% regarding if the details are critical to the ultimate outcome, they should be included.  I know the dynamic between the couple featured on Dark Waters was, IMO, extremely important because it added significantly to the motive.  Crazy.

IIRC, they said on the show that a friend introducted Breck and Lewis and it had something to do with someone's brother (I can't recall all of the details) but the articles said they were introduced through a church youth group.  Various articles make it sound like Lewis was looking for someone to groom, and started out with this group of friends who had an MMORPG gaming group going online, and weeded out the kids until he got to Breck.  Once he found Breck, he could cut the other kids in the group out because he was hosting their gaming group on his servers.  The show just made it look like Lewis didn't take a liking to the other kids and was just being a jerk.

On the show, Breck's mom complained about Lewis putting ideas in to Breck's head.  Namely that Lewis was rich and a tech millionaire, and was working in the US.  She also mentioned Lewis was telling him he didn't need to go to school because he could work for Lewis and get rich.  His mom seemed to be most upset that Lewis was telling Breck he didn't need to go to church.  According to the articles, he was telling Breck that he was financing Syrian rebels, and putting that kind of ideology in to his head- a stark difference, IMO.

I can't recall if the story went in to how Lewis' parents divorced, and a grandparent ended up buying him his own apartment and financing his lifestyle from the time he was 16.  That's how he was able to move undetected - he had no supervision from any adults.  Lewis was 19 at the time this went down, but no supervision for several years gave him the opportunity to hone his plan.  Well before this all went down, Lewis bought condoms, syringes, and duct tape.  Before he called the cops, he showered, and attmpted to destroy his and Breck's computers (he had Breck bring it under the guise of upgrading it).  He told the cops that Breck attempted to kill himself and he tried to stop it, but then changed his story that there was a fight, and he slit his throat.  He bought Breck a cell phone and paid for service when Breck's parents told him not to contact Lewis again.

The story is sad all the way around, but the show left me wondering how Breck could be under the spell so deeply, but the real story is very nuanced and multi-faceted, and makes much more sense.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 4

I have been watching Dateline: Secrets Uncovered on Oxygen, and recently found out that they are just re-brandings of Dateline shows from NBC (a show I had not watched previously).  Now that I found many seasons of the NBC Dateline episodes available from their website, my question is, how can I match up the name of the Oxygen Dateline episodes that I've already watched to the NBC Dateline episodes that I haven't watched yet, so I don't re-watch a zillion episodes?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was very curious about a lot of things too.  I was thinking she was possibly molesting him.  Of course, I wouldn't imagine her admitting that to the police.  Also, who was Ivan really, and how did she get him to go along?  I can't imagine he was too deeply involved, otherwise why would he take the kids to the police?  So many questions.  

Edited by Fable
  • Love 5

The story of the young man, Breck, who was murdered by another young man was so tragic. It seems like his mother tried to protect him, but, it wasn't enough.  Does anyone know how the following came about?  When Lewis asked Breck to come to his flat and to BRING ALL THE HARD DRIVES, Breck had been traveling on a class trip to Spain, right?  So, how would he have all of his hard drives with him? Hadn't his mother taken his computer? So, how would he have them available to take on his school trip? Maybe, I over think things. 

• Love 2

Back to Mother of the Year; my hubby noticed the two older children (1 and 2?) both had their tongues pierced!  Anyone else catch that?

The other show 'Til Death Us Do Part' where the husband had multiple cameras on the outside of the house 24/7, and one camera inside the house.  All the footage was there except for when she left the house, and when her body was found a week later.  The audio recordings did indeed SEEM like the wife was the aggressor.  I dug a little deeper online, and her husband was let's say highly oversexed, and was demanding sex from her ALL the time.  She had gotten so tired of it that she was finally fighting back.  And the cause of death (per at least one website) was he sat on her chest and suffocated her (because she said NO)  Someone on the show said he would whip her into a frenzy, and THEN record her, while he had calmed himself down to appear innocent.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

I have been watching Dateline: Secrets Uncovered on Oxygen, and recently found out that they are just re-brandings of Dateline shows from NBC (a show I had not watched previously).  Now that I found many seasons of the NBC Dateline episodes available from their website, my question is, how can I match up the name of the Oxygen Dateline episodes that I've already watched to the NBC Dateline episodes that I haven't watched yet, so I don't re-watch a zillion episodes?

I go through this dilemma as well with Dateline episodes on ID Discovery and Dateline episodes on OWN.  The only way I've figured out to sort of weed through what I have and haven't seen is to read the descriptions to see if it rings a bell.  Unfortunately, I've probably missed quite a few episodes using that technique a lot of the plots sound (and are) similar.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The story of the young man, Breck, who was murdered by another young man was so tragic. It seems like his mother tried to protect him, but, it wasn't enough.  Does anyone know how the following came about?  When Lewis asked Breck to come to his flat and to BRING ALL THE HARD DRIVES, Breck had been traveling on a class trip to Spain, right?  So, how would he have all of his hard drives with him? Hadn't his mother taken his computer? So, how would he have them available to take on his school trip? Maybe, I over think things. 

She went to the police and they did nothing with regard to Lewis.  She and her ex husband sued the police, but I don't know how it ended up.

He was back from the trip to Spain.  He was supposed to go spend the weekend with his dad, but lied about spending the night with a friend first.  His mom said he had appeared to be compilant with not contacting Lewis, so she might have given him the computer back as a reward.  Not sure.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Back to Mother of the Year; my hubby noticed the two older children (1 and 2?) both had their tongues pierced!  Anyone else catch that?

The other show 'Til Death Us Do Part' where the husband had multiple cameras on the outside of the house 24/7, and one camera inside the house.  All the footage was there except for when she left the house, and when her body was found a week later.  The audio recordings did indeed SEEM like the wife was the aggressor.  I dug a little deeper online, and her husband was let's say highly oversexed, and was demanding sex from her ALL the time.  She had gotten so tired of it that she was finally fighting back.  And the cause of death (per at least one website) was he sat on her chest and suffocated her (because she said NO)  Someone on the show said he would whip her into a frenzy, and THEN record her, while he had calmed himself down to appear innocent.

Matt & Nique Leili. Yeah, he was a piece of work. I remember this one from Dateline. I always felt so bad for the daughters and hoped one day they would realize their father was guilty and felt bad about being so mean to their dead mother’s family.  So I was glad to see on this weeks Til Death Do Us Part that at least the one daughter had come around. I get home security but is there any reason you would have to constantly record the inside of your house?  And I remember from Dateline that the daughters weren’t allowed to have doors in their rooms, which I always thought was really bizarre. Super glad he’s in jail where he’s not in control. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Matt & Nique Leili. Yeah, he was a piece of work. I remember this one from Dateline. I always felt so bad for the daughters and hoped one day they would realize their father was guilty and felt bad about being so mean to their dead mother’s family.  So I was glad to see on this weeks Til Death Do Us Part that at least the one daughter had come around. I get home security but is there any reason you would have to constantly record the inside of your house?  And I remember from Dateline that the daughters weren’t allowed to have doors in their rooms, which I always thought was really bizarre. Super glad he’s in jail where he’s not in control. 

Hell, even if he hadn't been guilty of her murder, he's still a creep simply for making his daughters listen to those disturbing recordings of their parents' violent fights. You created this mess all on your own, buddy, don't drag your kids down into it with you. They're already suffering enough as it is. 

I've heard that story on a couple other shows before as well, and I remember it always rubbed me the wrong way how he talked about how he'd wanted to have sex with his wife shortly before she disappeared. It'd be one thing if he'd told the officers something like, "We had a fight before she left-we've been having a few issues in our relationship of late", and would only think to share any more specific details if asked. 

But the way he talked about wanting sex that night, aside from the obvious fact that like he was trying to establish an explanation for the DNA being there because he knew the investigators would discover it eventually themselves, it also came off like he was...trying to brag, or something like that. I've seen that in a few cases of this sort, where husbands make a point of mentioning how they were going to have sex with their wives shortly before they disappeared, and I just keep thinking that that should be a tell-tale sign something's up right there. I would think that any decent guy would prefer to find some way to be more discreet about that kind of detail, y'know? They'd be too busy worrying about their missing wife to linger much on, or talk about, the details of the fight they had. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but would most men even feel all that comfortable talking about a sexual encounter that went badly? 

As for the surveillance footage, I love that the very thing he'd set up to try and keep tabs on his wife wound up backfiring on him. Little tip for would-be criminals: anytime somebody close to you disappears, and the only footage you have of them is right before and right after their disappearance, people are going to zero in on that missing gap in between, 'cause it's gonna look pretty suspicious. 

• Love 9

Nique Leili's body had Matt's semen inside her.  It also showed GHB (the date rape drug).  I doubt she dosed herself; so did the jury.  The way Matt groomed the 2 younger daughters to the point where he was directing them to post stuff online in his defense while he was in jail was also quite disgusting.  They finally realized just how much they had been manipulated and used, thank goodness.

• Love 14
On 7/21/2019 at 6:21 PM, Fable said:

It was also confusing, since I think they said he had decided to leave his wife and marry her (the other woman), and his wife already knew about her at that point.  So why did he feel the need to kill her?

Does anyone watch For My Man or Fatal Attraction on TV One? IT seems like 75% of the male murderers on these shows kill a pregnant GF/wife and in some cases ex wife/GF and their children. There is no rationale for doing this, these people are just evil.

• Love 7

Ref. Nique and Matt Leili.  I'm not defending any of his wrong doing, but, as I posted upthread, how can the aggressive and abusive talk from the wife fit in to this?  In the recordings, she didn't sound intimidated by him at all.  She seemed to the be the more aggressive one.  It could be that he was recording to set up a defense of murder, in case he killed her, but, it's also something people do when they are anticipating divorce.  Because, often it's difficult to prove how a spouse is in the home, unless, you have actual proof.   He should have just accepted divorce and gone to court though.  The violent route hardly ever works out. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

Does anyone watch For My Man or Fatal Attraction on TV One? IT seems like 75% of the male murderers on these shows kill a pregnant GF/wife and in some cases ex wife/GF and their children. There is no rationale for doing this, these people are just evil.

Yes to Fatal Attraction!  And yes, it is practically a death sentence on that show to be a pregnant girlfriend, or especially a shorty.  So coincidentally, as I had started writing this, I was watching a Fatal Attraction episode and at the end of the episode, it turned out that, surprise surprise, the girl was killed by her married 'boyfriend' when she got pregnant!  Also, they showed a first responder giving CPR and then trying to see if the person had a pulse, but wearing plastic gloves while trying to take the pulse...yeah, no.

• Love 5

I have been bored to death with the ID channel lately.  My cable bill is now 250.00, with internet, and I am ready to get a lower package.  The problem is, I will lose the ID channel.  Xfinity couldn’t reach an agreement with them, so it’s no longer offered in my area....even if I upgraded my package. Customers who already had ID were grandfathered in. So many channels are doing crime shows, I think I’ll be fine.

Once again, massive police incompetence, this time on Murder Board, "Scorned in Sin City".  Some remains were found, and immediately they interviewed the wife of the dead guy.  She reacted very non-chalantly to their news of his death, and immediately she got up and said "Give me a minute" and she was looking through papers.  So they asked her what was going on, and she said she was looking for his insurance papers.  So they thought that was all very weird.  And then they found the will, and that she would inherit $7M.  But the dead guy was big and his body had been dragged, so they determined that this woman couldn't have been involved because she was small.  JFC.  Yay for thorough detective work! 

Also, the actual glamour shot pic of the wife looked exactly like the celeb author Kitty Kelly, which made it that much weirder that the actress that played the wife, looked absolutely 100% nothing at all like the actual person.

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

I absolutely adore License to Kill and A Lie to Die For on Oxygen. Two excellent shows!

Me three! License to Kill has really drawn me in with cases I had never heard of. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

Me three! License to Kill has really drawn me in with cases I had never heard of. 

Did you watch the new episodes tonight? I'm watching the License to Kill rerun now because I missed the end earlier.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Once again, massive police incompetence, this time on Murder Board, "Scorned in Sin City".  Some remains were found, and immediately they interviewed the wife of the dead guy.  She reacted very non-chalantly to their news of his death, and immediately she got up and said "Give me a minute" and she was looking through papers.  So they asked her what was going on, and she said she was looking for his insurance papers.  So they thought that was all very weird.  And then they found the will, and that she would inherit $7M.  But the dead guy was big and his body had been dragged, so they determined that this woman couldn't have been involved because she was small.  JFC.  Yay for thorough detective work! 

Also, the actual glamour shot pic of the wife looked exactly like the celeb author Kitty Kelly, which made it that much weirder that the actress that played the wife, looked absolutely 100% nothing at all like the actual person.

Not to be shallow (but I will be) I have noticed that if the real person is nice looking, the person portraying them is unattractive and if the real person is heavy, the portraying person is thin and visa versa. I don’t have any idea why they do this.

• Love 8

One of the killers from the 1998 Jonesboro Arkansas school shooting has died in a head on collision.     He changed his name to Drew Gordon from Andrew Golden, after being released from juvenile detention, and having his record sealed. 

Both killers were released when they hit 21.  Golden, and Mitchell Johnson were perpetrators of one of the worst school shootings until Columbine.    Johnson has an expunged history of child sexual abuse, and had other run in with the law, but is supposed to be on probation, and living in south Texas now.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1998-arkansas-school-shooter-killed-in-car-crash-20-years-later/ar-AAF02KX?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Johnson_and_Andrew_Golden

• Love 10
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Did you watch the new episodes tonight? I'm watching the License to Kill rerun now because I missed the end earlier.

Yes I always get upset with elder abuse cases. That woman was amoral. There is a special place in hell for her.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

One of the killers from the 1998 Jonesboro Arkansas school shooting has died in a head on collision.     He changed his name to Drew Gordon from Andrew Golden, after being released from juvenile detention, and having his record sealed. 

Both killers were released when they hit 21.  Golden, and Mitchell Johnson were perpetrators of one of the worst school shootings until Columbine.    Johnson has an expunged history of child sexual abuse, and had other run in with the law, but is supposed to be on probation, and living in south Texas now.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1998-arkansas-school-shooter-killed-in-car-crash-20-years-later/ar-AAF02KX?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

Karma baby, karma

On 7/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, Persnickety1 said:

I kept yelling at the TV "STOP HAVING BABIES YOU CAN'T TAKE CARE OF, YOU IDIOT!!!"

Web of Lies (and one of my other favorites, "Dates From Hell") has a considerable number of episodes about women with children doing outrageously stupid things, like inviting their online "boyfriend" over to their house around their small defenseless children, a scenario which always makes my blood pressure skyrocket, but this moron just took the proverbial cake.  

I'll say one thing, though...for a season premiere, this episode definitely did NOT disappoint.  Web of Lies and Fear They Neighbor are probably my favorite two ID Discovery programs, but I wonder if they'll ever resurrect Dates From Hell.  Surely they haven't run out of material for it what with all the idiots in the world.  

Byrd  and Judy are paying for this child :)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

There was a case in Colorado Springs when I lived there a long time ago.   A woman with a 12 or 13 year old daughter was dating a new man, and she went out to a bar with him.    Then the daughter called her phone saying she was scared for some reason, but (it's been a long time so I'm not sure which way this happened) the man either answered the phone, or heard the mother talking to the girl.   He left the bar, went to the house, and the girl was found murdered, and the mother was shocked it was her new boyfriend.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It's kinda surreal to read this story. I was in middle school when the Jonesboro shooting happened (I'm the same age as Johnson), and I remember all the news stories and TV shows talking about these boys and whatnot. I can't say I'm all that surprised that they continued to have criminal activity after leaving detention-people who commit a crime this heinous, I think it's going to take a lot of work to really redeem them, if you ever even can. 

Golden, and Mitchell Johnson were perpetrators of one of the worst school shootings until Columbine. 

And to think, those death tolls would only continue to pile on in the years since. I'd hoped, when Columbine happened, that that would finally change things, but of course, as we're all too painfully aware by now, it hasn't.

Eerily, there was an "Impact of Murder" episode on last night about a school shooting in Ohio that happened in 2012. Three students were killed. The kid who did it came off like a total creep at the hearing and I wanted to slap the smirk off his face. That story was sad enough as it was, but what made it all the sadder for me was noting the date of the Ohio school shooting-February of 2012-and knowing that that year would close out with another horrific school massacre. 

Like I said before, these kinds of stories just make me angry more than anything else. Seeing the same footage of children running out of schools and huddled together crying playing out once again makes me angry. Hearing the people talking last night about how this wasn't a drill, and going into lockdown mode, as something that's just natural and expected nowadays makes me angry. An entire generation is growing up with these images and experiences and has to go to school preparing themselves for the possibility of being in this kind of situation. Just...what the fucking hell is it going to take to make it all stop? 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10

Lots of sad stories lately. There are some mean people on the planet.

One thing that boggles my mind is when a seemingly normal person gets completely obsessed with a cat fisher to the point that they take every word they say as the gospel and even KILL someone based on the catfisher's lies!!! I just can not understand it. And they've never even met the person!! Of course, latter they find out this online love interest is not who they claim And the story is a lie. 

Anyone notice how long commercial breaks are on oxygen and ID? Ridiculous.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

One thing that boggles my mind is when a seemingly normal person gets completely obsessed with a cat fisher to the point that they take every word they say as the gospel and even KILL someone based on the catfisher's lies!!! I just can not understand it. And they've never even met the person!! Of course, latter they find out this online love interest is not who they claim And the story is a lie. 

Not just catfished people fall for this.  I'm always baffled at people having affairs being told by  lovers "My husband/father/mother is doing X and wants to kill me.  I need for YOU to kill THEM."   Wouldn't it be easier to simply break off the affair? Contact child protective services? Call the police?  But nope.  So many just fall in line, kill somebody, then weep on the witness stand wishing they could take it back usually because the person wanting the kill pointed the finger squarely at them.  

• Love 13
On 7/28/2019 at 10:14 PM, ButterQueen said:

I have been bored to death with the ID channel lately.  My cable bill is now 250.00, with internet, and I am ready to get a lower package.  The problem is, I will lose the ID channel.  Xfinity couldn’t reach an agreement with them, so it’s no longer offered in my area....even if I upgraded my package. Customers who already had ID were grandfathered in. So many channels are doing crime shows, I think I’ll be fine.

I cut the cord 5 years ago because of the outrageous cost, and I get ID with Hulu for much less, Also if you have ATT cellular, download the Watch ATT app for a streamlined version of DTV, which also includes ID.

• Love 5
(edited)

(There is a show that airs on FX that The New York Times puts on, called "The Weekly".  Most of the time I don't really care about the topic, but every now and again, they touch on something interesting.

This week, it was Nigerian Scammers who pose as active military, or veterans, and scam people in to sending them money, etc.  They started with a woman who blew her life savings on a Nigerian scammer posing as an active duty Marine.  He would send her private messages on FB (the woman was brand new to social media) asking for iTunes cards, and it advanced to cash.  He would send her messages calling her "my wife" and some of the brief blips they showed on the screen showed him saying how he couldn't wait to be in her arms, etc.

It eventually advanced to her sending him money through a person in Philadelphia.  She finally sent him money for him (and a friend) to come home.  He sent photos of fake plane tickets for proof he was coming.  She drove from Florida to Philadelphia to greet him at the airport. Security told her she was scammed.  She tried to kill herself on the way home by downing 3 bottles of sleeping pills and drinking vodka.  While she was driving back to Florida.  She woke up 3 days later in a hospital.

I figure she's a lonely woman looking for companionship (they mention she lives with and cares for her elderly father).  Then they say that when she woke up in the hospital, her HUSBAND was by her side, and she was afraid to tell him she blew THEIR life savings (approximately $25,000 give or take) on some scammer.  They interview the husband and he says he forgave her, but it wasn't easy.  The person "hosting" the show says they had a history of domestic violence, but both assured him that was all in the past.  I wonder at that time if he knew about the "my wife" stuff, or some of what the guy was saying to her.  They also mention that she is STILL talking to the guy, even after she knew he scammed her.  He's asking her for money, but she's not sending it.  They send him a link for him to click on that secretly traps his IP address.  He's in Nigeria, not in the military.

The guy hosting the show decides he's going to go to Philadelphia to see the person who was accepting money to send to this guy.  She's a victim too.  A widow who belonged to a FB group that is a frequent target of scammers (I Love My Husband In Heaven).  English is also not her first language.  She too was sending this guy money, but under a different name, and a different scam than the woman in Florida.  She almost lost her house because she stopped paying her mortgage to send him money.  It was a romance scam at first, but then it sounds like it turned in to a money handling scam, because she said he promised she'd get her money back.  She's embarrassed, but won't have her face shown on TV and doesn't want her name used.

He then interviews the man who had his photos stolen to create this fake account.  He was a Marine for many years.  People were telling him that his photos were being used to scam people, and he found hundreds of fake accounts using his photos.  He eventually had to turn off social media entirely because he was tired of dealing with it.  He'd report the accounts (he kept a spreadsheet) and only a small fraction would get shut down, and then brand new ones would pop up anyway.

The host tries calling the original woman he's dealing with to tell her this woman is a victim too, but the number is disconnected.  He gets concerned, and when he returns to Florida, he finds out that on Christmas eve, the woman's husband shot her, and her elderly father, then turned the gun on himself.  He survived, but died two days later in the hospital.  He left behind no clues, no notes.  Nothing.  They break the news to the scammer, who has been messaging her.  He acts sad, but then disconnects from her and goes underground, probably fearful of prosecution.

The host goes to Nigeria to try to track this guy down.  He finally reaches him by phone, but the scammer tells him to go away and blocks him.  He finds an internet cafe and interviews some of these scammers, called "Yahoo Boyz", because they used to scam on Yahoo Messenger when it first started.  They say they feel badly about scamming people but live in abject poverty and can't survive any other way.  I'm not sure I buy everything they say (neither does the host), but that's where it lands.  The host interviews someone from the government who reluctantly admitted he was once a scammer too (yeesh), but he gave it up because he found himself having feelings for some of the people he was scamming.  Take that as you will.

In the end, they highly criticized FB for their poor handling of fake accounts. They talk to someone in the Pentagon who praised FB, but when he showed her that there were fake accounts for top Pentago officials, he reported them, and FB told him they didn't violate any policies, she changes her tune.  FB refused to comment but sent a statement, essentially saying it wasn't their fault if people violate their rules by creating fake accounts.

Just sad all the way around.

A link:
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/crime/st-lucie-county/2018/12/27/neighbor-remembers-2-killed-st-lucie-county/2420835002/

***ETA: after reading some articles, she may not have been living in Florida when she started being scammed.  Articles say they moved to the house where they were interviewed about 3 months before the murder/suicide, but I can't tell if they lived in another part of Florida, or if they lived in another state.

Edited by funky-rat
3 hours ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

I cut the cord 5 years ago because of the outrageous cost, and I get ID with Hulu for much less, Also if you have ATT cellular, download the Watch ATT app for a streamlined version of DTV, which also includes ID.

Thank you!  

• Love 1
(edited)

This isn't a show, it's more the news, but -- is anyone else following the spree killer story in Canada?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49156753

I haven't been following true crime lately as much as I used to, but I am fascinated by this story for some reason. Where the hell are they? What was their plan if they had one and how did this whole thing play out? Did they die in the woods of exposure, starvation, infected bug bites, etc.? If so, will their bodies ever be found? Did they really hike through the wilderness from Gillam to York Landing? Was the potential sighting of them accurate or not? What is with the one kid's backstory with his crazy dad and potentially mom? Were/are they in a secret relationship? (I'm leaning towards yes going by the one kid's Instagram picture alone.) I'm hoping the police can find them soon whether dead or alive, ensuring they won't have any more victims, as well as some answers.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 6

A woman that lived near me fell for the forwarding of mail, and packages scam.    The way it works is the scammers steal someone's credit account, charge hundreds of thousands in electronics, and computer hardware.     All of the packages are sent to the woman's house, near me.    Then, she slaps mailing labels on it, and forwards it overseas.     Then the person who had their credit stolen found out, contacted the state attorney general about the fraud, and their investigators pulled in the postal inspectors, federal investigators, and track the stolen merchandise to the woman's address.    When they showed up to arrest her, she had a garage full of outgoing packages ready for pick up.   If the investigators had been a few hours later, everything would have been shipped.     She was doing for minimal payments from the scammers, and forwarded a couple of million in items bought on stolen accounts.     

She was taken away by the FBI, and that's the last anyone heard of her.    I knew some people that knew her, and said it was not a surprise that she was involved, since she fell for every get rich quick scheme that she ever heard of.   

• Love 6
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I'm always baffled at people having affairs being told by  lovers "My husband/father/mother is doing X and wants to kill me.  I need for YOU to kill THEM."   Wouldn't it be easier to simply break off the affair? Contact child protective services? Call the police?  But nope.  So many just fall in line, kill somebody, then weep on the witness stand wishing they could take it back usually because the person wanting the kill pointed the finger squarely at them.  

The corollary to this is the women who manipulate men to kill their current husband/boyfriend by saying he is sexually abusing me, or to kill their ex by saying he is sexually abusing their child.  The men fall for it all.the.time. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

This isn't a show, it's more the news, but -- is anyone else following the spree killer story in Canada?

I haven't been following true crime lately as much as I used to, but I am fascinated by this story for some reason. Where the hell are they? What was their plan if they had one and how did this whole thing play out? Did they die in the woods of exposure, starvation, infected bug bites, etc.? If so, will their bodies ever be found? Did they really hike through the wilderness from Gillam to York Landing? Was the potential sighting of them accurate or not? What is with the one kid's backstory with his crazy dad and potentially mom? Were/are they in a secret relationship? (I'm leaning towards yes going by the one kid's Instagram picture alone.) I'm hoping the police can find them soon whether dead or alive, ensuring they won't have any more victims, as well as some answers.

I read earlier today that polar bears may be in their future.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I read earlier today that polar bears may be in their future.

There are rare polar bear sightings in the area, as well as other types of bears, but it's more likely that more mundane things will get them. Especially because bears are least likely to attack in the summer due to other food sources being available. What is more likely to get them is bug bites (apparently the mosquitoes, blackflies, and other biting insects are insane in that region in the summer, and you can get so many bites that they get infected and you die), infection in general, starvation (self explanatory), exposure (there was heavy freezing rain a day or two after they abandoned their car), drowning (the entire region is this huge, nearly impassable bog known as "muskeg"), and suicide due to how awful this terrain apparently is. Even things like sprained ankles can lead to death in the wilderness due to not being able to get food and so on. I read even trained military personnel would have to plan extensively to survive long-term in this terrain.

TBH I'm wondering if they planned to die the entire time (that's a general spree killer trajectory, and it seems like they could have gotten away with the murders if they wanted to, but they wanted people to know it was them) and they went to a remote area to kill themselves on purpose just so they would never be found and keep people guessing.

Or for all we know they actually want to surrender because they didn't realize how bad the conditions would be, but now they're lost in the wilderness and can't get out -- unlikely, but possible.

Either way I would be amazed if they're found alive at this point...even if they're not dead yet I can't imagine they're in good shape. I hate to think that they will never even be found dead so that people know they're not going to be a threat anymore -- let alone found alive and made to account for their actions and so we can figure out what happened -- but honestly that's what it's looking like.

Also, here's something I found on Wikipedia about the terrain. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt their bodies will be recovered.

Muskeg can be a significant impediment to transportation. During the 1870s, muskeg in Northern Ontario was reported to have swallowed a railroad engine whole when a track was laid on muskeg instead of clearing down to bedrock.

Many other instances have been reported of heavy construction equipment vanishing into muskeg in the spring as the frozen muskeg beneath the vehicle thawed. 

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Reminds me of the Eric Frein case, which happened too close for comfort to where I live.  He was on the run for some time before finally being caught hiding out in an abandoned resort.  There was evidence that he started out "roughing it" but it got too hard, and he found a place to hunker down that wasn't in nature.

The cops weren't gentle with him (he shot/killed police, sniper style) when he was caught, and I know that at one time, he was attempting to sue for his injury.  I don't think that went anywhere.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Reminds me of the Eric Frein case, which happened too close for comfort to where I live.  He was on the run for some time before finally being caught hiding out in an abandoned resort.  There was evidence that he started out "roughing it" but it got too hard, and he found a place to hunker down that wasn't in nature.

The cops weren't gentle with him (he shot/killed police, sniper style) when he was caught, and I know that at one time, he was attempting to sue for his injury.  I don't think that went anywhere.

There are a few similarities but he was in the Poconos though. That is not even the wilderness. If I have been hiking in it, it's not the backcountry! The terrain is pretty easy to traverse as well for anyone fit...technically there are bogs in the area but it's mostly low, walkable mountains. Also he had lived in the area his entire life.

"Frein was captured by U.S. Marshals in an open field near an unused airport hangar at Birchwood-Pocono Airpark, an abandoned airfield approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) ENE of Tannersville." Yeah for anyone reading who hasn't been to the area...I feel like the news probably made it seem more wild than it was, but Tannersville is a tourist hub with a ski resort, two waterparks, an outlet mall, and tons of other touristy things...he was not in the wilderness LOL.

(Actually I just looked it up and I realized my husband and I stayed at a bed and breakfast right down the road from where he was captured, a week or two before he attacked the officers...creepy.)

Meanwhile it's hard to imagine an area more remote than where these teen killers are. If they didn't find another vehicle -- and I don't know how they would do that, since there is only one road in/out this time of year (in the winter there are ice roads) and that road has checkpoints that were specifically looking for them -- it will be nearly impossible for them to survive.

I just feel bad for this guy: "Local resident James Tully, who bears some resemblance to Frein and who walks to work in the area, says he was stopped more than 20 times by officers searching for Frein. He claims one officer pointed a rifle at him and forced him to the ground, leaving him with bruised ribs and in fear that he would be shot."

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

There are a few similarities but he was in the Poconos though. That is not even the wilderness. If I have been hiking in it, it's not the backcountry! The terrain is pretty easy to traverse as well for anyone fit...technically there are bogs in the area but it's mostly low, walkable mountains. Also he had lived in the area his entire life.

"Frein was captured by U.S. Marshals in an open field near an unused airport hangar at Birchwood-Pocono Airpark, an abandoned airfield approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) ENE of Tannersville." Yeah for anyone reading who hasn't been to the area...I feel like the news probably made it seem more wild than it was, but Tannersville is a tourist hub with a ski resort, two waterparks, an outlet mall, and tons of other touristy things...he was not in the wilderness LOL.

(Actually I just looked it up and I realized my husband and I stayed at a bed and breakfast right down the road from where he was captured, a week or two before he attacked the officers...creepy.)

Meanwhile it's hard to imagine an area more remote than where these teen killers are. If they didn't find another vehicle -- and I don't know how they would do that, since there is only one road in/out this time of year (in the winter there are ice roads) and that road has checkpoints that were specifically looking for them -- it will be nearly impossible for them to survive.

I just feel bad for this guy: "Local resident James Tully, who bears some resemblance to Frein and who walks to work in the area, says he was stopped more than 20 times by officers searching for Frein. He claims one officer pointed a rifle at him and forced him to the ground, leaving him with bruised ribs and in fear that he would be shot."

I've spent a lot of time in the Poconos, including Tannersville - I live an hour away, and my favorite resorts are there.  I know it's not as intense as the Canadian wilderness, but there were other similarities, and I was just more saying "in general".  When they said what area he was in, I said they'd find him in one of the abandoned resorts.  They found him at Birchwood, which closed many years ago.

• Love 6

When real life crosses into ID Discovery territory.  💀

I'm wondering if this murderer (who lives about 3 miles from me as the crow flies) will end up on an episode of Fear Thy Neighbor.  They're already dubbing him a serial killer and there is an abundance of mountain community chatter going on.  RIP victims.

https://abc30.com/man-charged-with-three-murders-after-deputies-find-human-remains-on-squaw-valley-property/5432753/

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man has been charged with three murders after Fresno County Sheriff's deputies find human remains on a Squaw Valley property.

Buford King was scheduled to be arraigned on those charges in a Fresno County courtroom Wednesday morning, according to court documents.

Detectives began their investigation into King when he was arrested for shooting his neighbor in 2017.

According to investigators, the Squaw Valley property King had been living on was connected to two reported missing person cases.

One those men being 62-year-old Donnie Lee who was last seen in the area of Squaw Valley Road and Sand Creek Road on November 1st, 2016.

The other missing man was 35-year-old Aleksey Shelest who was last heard from on May 18th, 2016 in Squaw Valley.

Deputies began to search the property for evidence connected to the two cases but were unable to find anything.

However, earlier this year, King directed deputies back to that Squaw Valley property. Authorities once again began digging for evidence but this time dug deeper. They were able to locate human remains and were also able to find one more victim in Tulare County.

According to court documents, King is being charged with two murders in 2016 and one in 2011.

Authorities believe there could be additional victims.

^^^ Remainder of article is at link above.  

Fear Thy Neighbor indeed.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 1