Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Jaded

General True Crime Shows

19 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I can see that ACTR would be expensive to produce. I think I commented on an episode in the first season, where in the background of an office scene you could see mini-blinds at a window. Out of focus but still obviously mini-blinds, and that wasn't a thing in the 1950's when that crime occurred.

Yes.  This.  There have been prime time shows set in the 40's/50's which had decent ratings and sometimes even excellent reviews but became too expensive and time consuming to constantly get every detail right.  It's why the TV series Wonder Woman was moved from the 40's to present time.  

It's too bad if ACTR is gone though.  There are great cases from the 30's that would have fit their criteria (I mentioned Ruth Snyder and the Bennett Bridge Murder case on the now vaulted forum). But if duplicating the 50's was hard, the 30's would have been even worst.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Just watched Murder Decoded "The Cocoon", and I gotta say I was SO sure that the scum-bucket way-too-old boyfriend who started pimping out the victim, was the perp.  He had the usual we-had-a-fight-and-she-walked-out story, which always spells g-u-i-l-t.  But it just goes to show that even the most guilty-seeming suspects/situations aren't always.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, Tdoc72 said:

I hope this doesn’t make me an awful person but this week’s Never Say Goodbye was about the Katrina Smith case (wife killed by estranged husband).

This is the 3rd show I’ve seen about this case, which is an interesting case, but all I could think was I hope her super hot brother shows up again. He did. 

Oh, they also played the ridiculous tape of her husband trying to cry while talking to reporters. Big faker! 

I am not usually able to tell when the not-yet-revealed-as-guilty person is doing a fake emotional show for reporters but OMG this one was just awful!  I don't remember seeing this crime before, so I didn't know for sure he was guilty, but after he talked to the media, I figured he HAD to be guilty!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, renatae said:

Just watched Unbreakable: Live to Tell about Heather Reid's family. It was hard to believe that her father went so nuts about her nephew not eating vegetables and would start fights four or five times a week with her half sister and her mother about not fixing vegetables.

It was so ironic that on the night he killed them, her mother was cleaning beets, carrots, cucumbers and green peppers from their garden when he shot her! I don't think I'll ever understand why they weren't having vegetables when they were growing their own!

Not to blame the victims, but I don't think I would have avoided serving vegetables when it could have prevented so much conflict on such a regular basis. The guy was a real control freak. I felt bad for Heather having to take on what was left of her family at such a young age.

I could be wrong but I think the vegetable thing was only about the teenage boy; it seemed like they made the vegetables but the kid didn't want to eat them and the father being the control freak he was continually made a big deal about it and would not let it go. I also think, if it hadn't been the vegetables, control freak dad would have been upset about something else. I was slightly amused that the father called the ride to work to tell him that he didn't need to pick him up. It's the second one where the murderer seemed overly concerned with missing work. 

• Like 9

This weeks finale of Unbreakable was so odd. I get everyone displays grief differently and tears are by no means mandatory, but Heather had such a bizarre detached, monotone, almost nonchalant delivery of even the most harrowing parts of her story. She talked about trying to stop her father from shooting like it was a memory from a high school lacrosse game or something. But her niece had the exact same emotionless tone when describing watching her mother be murdered in front of her at age 11 (and in present day she's 15, if that), so there's definitely something off about that entire family. The poor kids.

The strangest thing was that there was no telltale "warning signs from my childhood" segment. It was basically "my life was totally normal until the random half-sister I didn't know I had moved in" which feels like there's a massive chunk of back story missing. I guess she did mention the paranoia and end of days ranting, but wasn't that after the sister moved in? So we're supposed to believe this man was father of the year until children not eating vegetables set him off?

I'm ashamed now to admit I laughed out loud at what I thought was Heather's hyperfocus on the vegetable issue and phrases like "his hatred of vegetables just kept rising" until it turned out that that was the final inciting argument with her sister and the issue enraged the father to such a degree that this man actually said "that's what you get for not eating your vegetables" to his horrified grandchildren after delivering the kill shot to their mother. If you didn't know it was from an actual case, it sounds like an SNL comedy sketch along the lines of Dear Sister. It's safe to say even as a veteran ID channel viewer, that's one of the most unusual triggers. Yes he was obviously unstable, but…you really murdered half your family over not eating vegetables? in reality, I'm hoping that it was actually precipitated by him catching wind of the divorce talk and he deflected by hyper fixating on his usual vegetable issue, because I refuse to process the horrible tragedy of a mother of young children being murdered over something so stupid. I mean pretty much every reason is stupid, but that one takes the cake for sure.

It has to make you wonder what was going on in the sisters life that she would uproot her kids across country, arrive and see her estranged father ranting about the news and yelling at her for hours on end about vegetables and still think "yeah, this is still a preferable living situation and a better environment for my kids."

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

This weeks finale of Unbreakable was so odd. I get everyone displays grief differently and tears are by no means mandatory, but Heather had such a bizarre detached, monotone, almost nonchalant delivery of even the most harrowing parts of her story. She talked about trying to stop her father from shooting like it was a memory from a high school lacrosse game or something. But her niece had the exact same emotionless tone when describing watching her mother be murdered in front of her at age 11 (and in present day she's 15, if that), so there's definitely something off about that entire family. The poor kids.

The strangest thing was that there was no telltale "warning signs from my childhood" segment. It was basically "my life was totally normal until the random half-sister I didn't know I had moved in" which feels like there's a massive chunk of back story missing. I guess she did mention the paranoia and end of days ranting, but wasn't that after the sister moved in? So we're supposed to believe this man was father of the year until children not eating vegetables set him off?

I'm ashamed now to admit I laughed out loud at what I thought was Heather's hyperfocus on the vegetable issue and phrases like "his hatred of vegetables just kept rising" until it turned out that that was the final inciting argument with her sister and the issue enraged the father to such a degree that this man actually said "that's what you get for not eating your vegetables" to his horrified grandchildren after delivering the kill shot to their mother. If you didn't know it was from an actual case, it sounds like an SNL comedy sketch along the lines of Dear Sister. It's safe to say even as a veteran ID channel viewer, that's one of the most unusual triggers. Yes he was obviously unstable, but…you really murdered half your family over not eating vegetables? in reality, I'm hoping that it was actually precipitated by him catching wind of the divorce talk and he deflected by hyper fixating on his usual vegetable issue, because I refuse to process the horrible tragedy of a mother of young children being murdered over something so stupid. I mean pretty much every reason is stupid, but that one takes the cake for sure.

It has to make you wonder what was going on in the sisters life that she would uproot her kids across country, arrive and see her estranged father ranting about the news and yelling at her for hours on end about vegetables and still think "yeah, this is still a preferable living situation and a better environment for my kids."

I too was struck by the affect of the daughter and the granddaughter too. It seemed almost like the daughter is pushing down the emotions and hasn't dealt with her feelings. I hope not because I think it will be very painful when the emotions come out.

The vegetable thing was very weird but I think he was such a control freak, that it could have been any number of things that brought on the attack.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

I could be wrong but I think the vegetable thing was only about the teenage boy; it seemed like they made the vegetables but the kid didn't want to eat them and the father being the control freak he was continually made a big deal about it and would not let it go. I also think, if it hadn't been the vegetables, control freak dad would have been upset about something else. I was slightly amused that the father called the ride to work to tell him that he didn't need to pick him up. It's the second one where the murderer seemed overly concerned with missing work. 

I dozed off and missed the end of this one, so I had to look it up.  I found an article that said that he had an issue with the boy not eating his vegetables, and the daughter not parenting the boy correctly.  He also said that his daughter from his first marriage yelled at him, and that "scrambled him" because she sounded just like his ex wife (I'm assuming the girl's mother).  He was also angry that they came home and turned all the lights on, with them being aware of the money issues.  Sorry if that info was in the show - I missed the ending.

It could also be that "vegetables" was some bone of contention between the dad and a family member when he was little - not sure if they touched on that or not, but it could explain him being fixated on it, and his anger when no one forced the kid to eat them.  There were things my late MIL (who was mentally unbalanced) would fixate on that would make no sense to us, but she could really go off the deep end about it.  Some of it was just because she was off, and some were things that went back to her childhood.  Could be he was proud of the veggies they grew and he saw the boy not eating them as a slap in the face.  Could be he felt that his ex-wife didn't parent their daughter correctly, and the daughter was repeating her mistakes.  Could be that he regretted inviting his other daughter here.  Lots of possibilities, and the dad really isn't saying much.

What I found really odd was that Heather said her sister had medical training.  I thought she said something about being a nurse first, then said something about being a caregiver.  Then she later says the sister was having trouble finding work.  Not sure about Arkansas, but around here, they're screaming for caregivers.  Experienced ones can make decent money.  So there could be more at play there too.

Before I dozed off, they were making it sound like there was money missing - like someone was stealing - but in the end, it sounds like that went nowhere, and the dad just couldn't afford to keep paying the bills for everyone.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, renatae said:

Just watched Unbreakable: Live to Tell about Heather Reid's family. It was hard to believe that her father went so nuts about her nephew not eating vegetables and would start fights four or five times a week with her half sister and her mother about not fixing vegetables.

It was so ironic that on the night he killed them, her mother was cleaning beets, carrots, cucumbers and green peppers from their garden when he shot her! I don't think I'll ever understand why they weren't having vegetables when they were growing their own!

Not to blame the victims, but I don't think I would have avoided serving vegetables when it could have prevented so much conflict on such a regular basis. The guy was a real control freak. I felt bad for Heather having to take on what was left of her family at such a young age.

That story was nuts. Heather and the kids all had to witness their respective parents being shot. Just...damn. And not to get all political, but it didn't surprise me one bit that this guy kept ranting away at all these news stories he kept hearing about these supposed efforts to "take away his guns" and whatnot...only for him to go on and prove precisely why he shouldn't have had any access to guns whatsoever. 

And yes to the guy calling someone they work with and telling them they won't be in to work because they murdered people! I did not realize that was a thing some killers were apparently concerned about.

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 7

On 5/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, Brattinella said:

Does anyone hate Paula Zahn as much as I do?

Especially her promo talking about "how hard it is" for her to grill people on her show but it's "necessary." Blah.

• Like 5

On 5/8/2019 at 9:30 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

This is so bizarre.  I was recently going through a bunch of old family papers and found a newspaper article announcing that my great uncle was coroner for his county.  I did't understand how, because he was not a medical doctor......hmmmm....interesting. It must have been a thing back in the day. 

Back before about 1980, coroner was an elected position (not sure if it still is around here) and it was rare for them to be actual MD's. I remember when I realized that, I was shocked. Then around the time of Quincy, M.E. there was a movement to elect actual physicians, and IIRC, the show was a major push toward that. One wonders how they functioned, not being actual physicians.

The one from my hometown had been in office for many years, and I had occasion to meet him while working at the Children's hospital. It was a tragic case; a little girl had been hit by a car while chasing an ice cream truck. Beautiful girl without a mark on her, arrived DOA. One I will never forget. The Coroner, although not an M.D. seemed very knowledgeable.

Edited by renatae
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, renatae said:

Back before about 1980, coroner was an elected position (not sure if it still is around here) and it was rare for them to be actual MD's. I remember when I realized that, I was shocked. Then around the time of Quincy, M.E. there was a movement to elect actual physicians, and IIRC, the show was a major push toward that. One wonders how they functioned, not being actual physicians.

The one from my hometown had been in office for many years, and I had occasion to meet him while working at the Children's hospital. It was a tragic case; a little girl had been hit by a car while chasing an ice cream truck. Beautiful girl without a mark on her, arrived DOA. One I will never forget. The Coroner, although not an M.D. seemed very knowledgeable.

Coroners are still elected here.  I don't know about the requirements, but I do know that many times in the past, they were at least paramedics and/or funeral directors.

• Like 4

I forgot to post this earlier so I guess I am not as annoyed as I was but it really annoys me when ID slaps a new name on an old show and then it comes up as new on my guide. There were two on this weekend!

• Like 11
  • Sad 3

46 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

I forgot to post this earlier so I guess I am not as annoyed as I was but it really annoys me when ID slaps a new name on an old show and then it comes up as new on my guide. There were two on this weekend!

Yep, I consider that dirty pool.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

Oh yeah I HATE that.

• Like 8