Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

It's just too uneven in it's application; too many poor and brown people. Too much chance of an innocent person being put to death; even one is too many. And to me it makes us no better than the murderers. Again, I think life in prison would be much worse and I don't think the cost is that much more than keeping someone on death row. 

All of this. I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of society/the government deciding who lives and dies. I can totally understand and sympathize with family members personally thinking, "So help me, if I ever get my hands on the guy who did this..."-that's an understandable reaction when somebody you love is murdered-though I will also note that there are plenty of people who've lost loved ones to violent crimes who haven't asked for the death penalty, too, for all sorts of reasons. 

But that sort of personal reaction is a whole different thing from society as a whole making that kind of call. To expect people who have no personal connection to the crime to make such significant decisions like this, especially during trials, where all sorts of shady goings-ons and lies can and do occur...yeah. Just too much risk and room for error and things of that sort. And while I can sympathize with somebody wanting to hunt down the person who murdered somebody they love, well, there's a reason vigilante justice is frowned upon, and if that's not advisable, then I think the same logic should apply to the death penalty as well.

Believe me, there's definitely some truly heinous criminals out there that I'm not one bit sorry to see gone. But even then, I still ultimately don't think it's a good thing for society as a whole. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do have issues with death penalty, but, watching ID discovery over the last couple of years, has changed my perspective. While I know there have been some innocent people sent to death row and some who have been executed, who were innocent, I still support it for cases where there is no doubt the person committed the crime AND it was especially horrendous, like slaughtering innocent people in their own homes, murdering children, torture, etc. 

So do I. There are some crimes that are so horrible that I do believe the death penalty is the right punishment. Serial killers, serial rapists, abusing and murdering children, killing an entire family or killing your entire family, torture, shooting up a school, store, etc.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, nokat said:

True Conviction, that Liz was one twisted person. It wasn't enough to murder her rival, she had to totally destroy her. Prison is too good for her.

I had seen this covered on another show, so I knew who was behind the threats and whatnot, but I couldn’t remember how she got caught, so I watched this. 

You really have to be a special kind of crazy to, not only murder someone, but to go to that level of commitment to keep up the charade for years in order to keep someone in your life – shooting herself, setting her home on fire, killing her pets, not to mention the other batshit stuff she did….Yikes!!!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Fable said:

shooting herself, setting her home on fire, killing her pets, not to mention the other batshit stuff she did….Yikes!!!

That takes a special kind of crazy.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 7

What's so scary is that many of these killers didn't seem like killers. They were normal, everyday people who had family members, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. and then bam! They murder an innocent person for a perceived slight or monetary gain and chop them up in tiny pieces.  It really boggles the mind and makes you wonder who you CAN trust. 

• Love 3

Ades said she wants to go to trial, where she's positive the jury will not only find her not guilty, but will order her and the man she's accused of stalking to marry her.

"They're going to say, 'You're not guilty and on top of it we, like, demand that you two get married,' " Ades said.

...ooooooooookay o_O. 

Wow. That's...terrifying. And no, sending THAT many weird and creepy messages to somebody does not qualify as "just jokes". Here's hoping they see to it she stays in jail/a mental institution for as long as possible. 

• Love 10

I've noticed that with a lot of these shows where they feature cold cases, the detectives go back  and obtain records from previous years.  Like even nine years ago.  I'm not sure how that's possible.  In my line of work, I have occasion to need records on a fairly regular basis and if they are more than a few years old, the company says that they don't have them anymore.  Often, this is in response to a Subpoena! So, I'm trying to figure out if these record custodians or lying or what. lol

• Love 5
On 4/16/2019 at 2:51 PM, funky-rat said:

Glad you found it.  It can be frustrating to find it when you can only remember bits and pieces that can describe 100 other shows that aren't it.

I too saw that one on Forensic Files.  So very sad.  I wonder why the jury was from Dauphin County as noted in the article.  That's Harrisburg area, not Philly area.  And I can't believe I was in the same building as that creep.  Mr. Funky's late Uncle was in Fayette, and we visited him several times.  **SHUDDER**

I caught a show over the weekend that was only a half hour long - short shows aren't something usually seen on ID (I'm 99% sure it was ID I was watching - it was late, and I couldn't sleep) about the "Talhotblond" case.  Half an hour can't even scratch the surface on that box of crazy.

I lived only about a 1/4 mile from a horrific murder where a guy (stranger to victim) entered her house at night, raped and beat her mercilessly.  She was alive the next day, but, died at the hospital after her sister found her and called 911.  I was so scared until they caught this guy. I had so many sleepless nights. This was a wonderful woman, mother, etc.  They sought the death penalty, but, he got Life without the possibility of parole.  I was shocked. 

https://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/13665559/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Watching this "20/20 on ID" show about a hostage situation at a maternity ward in a Utah hospital and man, what a terrifying story. I remember a "Through the Decades" episode making mention of this a while back, but hearing these first-person accounts is beyond chilling. Hearing about the guy threatening to kill infants, these poor moms having to hear their babies cry and being separated from them...dear god.

• Love 1

I'm watching Murder for Hire on Oxygen. This episode is "Good Sister, Bad Sister," and man, that Bad Sister is just one vile greedy old bitch. And, thank God, not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree either. [I originally spoiler tagged the following but several days have passed and now I think that looks silly.] 

About Bad Sister's stupidity. First, when they reestablish contact with each other after forty years (!) of estrangement? Bad Sister almost immediately tells Good Sister, "look I need to kill my husband and you're going to help me do it." And just expects that her younger sister will fall in line and go along with it. Younger (good) sister was a wild child in her younger days and hung out with motorcycle gang guys. Good Sister said in her THs that she had worked hard to get away from that life and those violent people, and her sister knew it. But Bad Sister just assumed that Good Sister would just be happy to get back in contact with badass killers. Just because Bad Sister wants her to. Good grief!

And it cracked me up that when Bad Sister meets with the undercover cop she thinks is the hired killer, she tries to cheap him out and run a pity thing on him about how little money she had. As one of the cops said, he was surprised that Bad Sister didn't realize it was a setup when the "hired killer" agreed to such a cheap down payment on the deal.

It would be a little funny that Bad Sister was so stupid and got caught and nobody killed her husband. But the husband, a hard-working guy, was very upset when told that his wife tried to hire someone to kill him. And then he had a stroke and is disabled, and can't speak. At least he is alive, and surrounded by his loving family (kids he had prior to marrying Bad Sister). But still it's sad. He worked at a hard job into his 70's to support that heinous bitch and didn't get to enjoy retirement, having a stroke instead. 

ETA: I liked Good Sister and I hope she has some good friends to help make up for her lack of family.

Edited by Jeeves
Remove silly spoiler tags and other tweaks
  • Love 9

Where do these channels find their stories? Do they scour the news or do people send in their personal stories?

I've been watching Murder in the Heartland and they had a case that took place in a small town in Missouri. I live in mid-Missouri and I had never heard of this town. I had to look it up on Google maps and it still took me a while to figure out where it was located. I just wondered how ID heard about the story.

• Love 2

Hayti?  I just watched that this afternoon.
Some murders have made many of the shows.  There are 2 Jacksonville Beach murders, and I see one of them on every other month it seems like.
I'm  ready to see Col.Russ Williams again, even if it's a repeat.

And what do I see in the schedule?  Suspicion, tomorrow 4/24, 5AM ET, on ID, "Cosy Cove Killings.  That's the colonel.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, auntjess said:

Hayti?  I just watched that this afternoon.
Some murders have made many of the shows.  There are 2 Jacksonville Beach murders, and I see one of them on every other month it seems like.
I'm  ready to see Col.Russ Williams again, even if it's a repeat.

Yes, for some reason I kept watching the Betrayed last night even though I have seen that case covered on lots of other shows. Geez, that guy was a creep!

Did anyone watch Unbreakable: Live to Tell last night? It was a very sad one. I was wondering if the wife would have rather have the father alive so that he would have to face justice. I could see it both ways. On the one hand since he took the easy way out and killed himself, they were able to focus on trying to recover and moving on, on the other hand I would be so angry if my husband (not that I have one) had done something like that and then got to evade justice.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, geekgirl921 said:

Yes, for some reason I kept watching the Betrayed last night even though I have seen that case covered on lots of other shows. Geez, that guy was a creep!

I wonder if his kids have ever tried to contact him in prison. I sure wouldn't. Finding out their dad kept the torso of their mom's body in their home, knowing full well they were worried about where their mom was during the time she was considered missing, using their toy sleds to try and cart her body parts away...if I were them, once I'd heard about all of that, I'd be like, "Nah, he can rot in hell."

Also, when they were talking about how he took the bins with the body parts to the park and they started spilling everywhere, I was like, "That's the universe's way of saying, 'Yeah, no, you're not getting by with this one.'" And thankfully, he didn't. 

Did anyone watch Unbreakable: Live to Tell last night? It was a very sad one. I was wondering if the wife would have rather have the father alive so that he would have to face justice. I could see it both ways. On the one hand since he took the easy way out and killed himself, they were able to focus on trying to recover and moving on, on the other hand I would be so angry if my husband (not that I have one) had done something like that and then got to evade justice.

Yes. I'm thinking this show's going to be like "Shattered" for me, in that it's going to be a very emotional thing to watch. I agree with you on the potential dilemma. I don't doubt she also constantly asked herself why he didn't shoot her, too. I felt for her when she was sitting there talking about how she expected her son to just go off on her and yell at her, believing she deserved that kind of reaction. I'm glad that she and her surviving son have managed to move on as they have, and that her son has been able to be involved in so much cool stuff.

• Love 6

I was trying to see if there are forums for the Oxygen shows "In Ice Cold Blood" and "Accident, Suicide, or Murder" (I doubt there are), but I am unable to make the Search function in Forums do anything for me.  Are there forums for those?  And what is the best way for me to try to find shows myself? 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:17 PM, Fable said:

You really have to be a special kind of crazy to, not only murder someone, but to go to that level of commitment to keep up the charade for years in order to keep someone in your life – shooting herself, setting her home on fire, killing her pets, not to mention the other batshit stuff she did….Yikes!!!

I saw a special kind of crazy on another show (forget which one it was), where the accused was just desperate to prove it wasn't her and that instead it was the boyfriend of the victim (who she had an affair with).  So she did secret recordings of phone calls that were supposedly from him, where he discussed the murder and some concerns about the aftermath.  But everyone agreed that it didn't sound like him.  So she said he was disguising his voice.  Really?  A phone call from someone you know, like any other normal phone call from them, so why on earth when you already know who it is, would they decide to disguise their voice, in repeated calls?!?!  

On 4/13/2019 at 10:55 AM, MissAlmond said:

Wasn't this the son who had testified as a child his father killed his mother (or saw something that, putting the pieces together, was clear the father had murdered the mother)?  IIRC, years later he went to visit his father in jail, wanted his father to admit to murdering his mother, Dad gave some sort of "It was an accident" excuse, son pretended to believe, but afterwards said Dad was still lying?  

No, this was a case where the person who went back to the jail did not know the killer.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

Oh my gosh, when she said the paramedics wouldn't come in and help her boys until the police got there and cleared the scene! Of course I've seen that happen on shows like Body Cam and Nightwatch and I understand the need to keep the paramedics safe but how horrible for her. They are RIGHT THERE and they can't help.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

This one happened near me.  In fact, Stony Creek Metro Park was a place I have often visited as a child and as an adult with my own children.  I remember this like it was yesterday.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I was trying to see if there are forums for the Oxygen shows "In Ice Cold Blood" and "Accident, Suicide, or Murder" (I doubt there are), but I am unable to make the Search function in Forums do anything for me.  Are there forums for those?  And what is the best way for me to try to find shows myself?

There are no forums for those two shows.

I use a Customized Home Page for my shows, and at the end of the shows (right after Z) there is a link to the full TV Show Index where you can see all the show topics alphabetically and select which ones to follow.  That's where I double-checked for the shows you were looking for.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Okay....ID channel trailer for upcoming show called The Face of Evil, is just too much. They play it over and over.   This woman keeps saying how serial killers like to keep MOmentos.  I think she means MEmentos, but, she puts a long strong O on the second letter.  Not sure why that bothers me. lol

I don't normally like to watch the shows on the evil, killer twins, but did catch one today.  Oh man...one of the killer's wives was interviewed throughout the episode and she was so devastated that her ex-husband was in prison for life. She had to leave and divorce him when he threatened to cut up her and their two little girls. Well, if that wasn't enough, he eventually stabbed his mom about 39 times, including through the brain.  The guy was a jerk from early on and went off on her putting her down, bossing, controlling, raging over what kind of shoes she wore!  Of course, she marries him anyway and has TWO kids with him, knowing what he was like. OH, PLUS, he's a severe alcoholic.  He couldn't even get along with his twin brother!  But, the ex-wife goes on and on crying like she could barely make it without this man.  Please!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay....ID channel trailer for upcoming show called The Face of Evil, is just too much. They play it over and over.   This woman keeps saying how serial killers like to keep MOmentos.  I think she means MEmentos, but, she puts a long strong O on the second letter.  Not sure why that bothers me. lol

That one drives me batshit crazy!  The first few times I heard it, I actually yelled at my TeeVee.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 2/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, Jeeves said:

That said, now and then I queue up old Forensic Files episodes on Netflix at bedtime, with the TV sleep timer on and the volume low, because I like falling asleep to Peter Thomas's voice. 

I love his voice, too, and I turn on HLN at night and do the same! I'm glad I'm not the only one. There is just something soothing about his voice, even when he is talking about murder.

• Love 9

I was watching a Cold Case Files episode (I think that's what it was) that took place in Texas, and the police department needed help solving crimes so they put out a call for volunteers to work cold cases.  They were overwhelmed with responses and had to whittle down even the qualified volunteers, arriving at a team of 4 (and they solved the case that we saw).  For the life of me, I don't see why other jurisdictions (probably would need to be metropolitan areas to ensure that there was a large enough pool of qualified applicants) don't do the same thing -- free labor, very motivated, fresh eyes/ears.  And it would take very little department oversight to supervise and very little cost.  Seems like win/win/win -- win for the department because the publicity of having the public know that you are working on cold cases is great, win for the volunteers since they are doing something so very worthwhile, and win for the victims' families getting a chance at having their case solved.  The only 'lose' is the perps!

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

eems like win/win/win -- win for the department because the publicity of having the public know that you are working on cold cases is great, win for the volunteers since they are doing something so very worthwhile, and win for the victims' families getting a chance at having their case solved.  The only 'lose' is the perps!

Sounds great, but what if one of those volunteers is an actual perp,  monitoring the crimes he committed? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Sounds great, but what if one of those volunteers is an actual perp,  monitoring the crimes he committed? 

Well, in almost all the cold cases I've seen, the perp's name is already in the case files.  So when a case is being worked, and a possible perp's name matches a volunteer's name, I bet that person would now rise to the top of the perp list and be convicted even sooner!  🙂  

• Love 3

Just watched Murder in Manor (DVR'd it last night). Can't finish it, it's got the stupidest construct I've ever seen: Victim Bill. Model Jennifer. Boyfriend Jason. Bartender Julie Survivor Jim (or whatever). Puleeeezze. 

• LOL 4
26 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

Just watched Murder in Manor (DVR'd it last night). Can't finish it, it's got the stupidest construct I've ever seen: Victim Bill. Model Jennifer. Boyfriend Jason. Bartender Julie Survivor Jim (or whatever). Puleeeezze. 

Seriously.  I was cracking up at this!

• LOL 2
On 4/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jeeves said:

ETA: I liked Good Sister and I hope she has some good friends to help make up for her lack of family.

I felt bad for the sister but wanted to shake her everyone she started w/the no family & that this was her sister. Honey, you don’t need a sister like that. Find some good quality friends and move on. 

On 4/24/2019 at 9:02 AM, LuvMyShows said:

I saw a special kind of crazy on another show (forget which one it was), where the accused was just desperate to prove it wasn't her and that instead it was the boyfriend of the victim (who she had an affair with).  So she did secret recordings of phone calls that were supposedly from him, where he discussed the murder and some concerns about the aftermath.  But everyone agreed that it didn't sound like him.  So she said he was disguising his voice.  Really?  A phone call from someone you know, like any other normal phone call from them, so why on earth when you already know who it is, would they decide to disguise their voice, in repeated calls?!?!  

I know that one. The boyfriend was Jameer, the cop & crazy girlfriend was 911 operator. She killed the new/same time GF and blamed it on him when caught. Later tried to set him up for raping her. (She said she went to walk the dog, he followed and raped her for 6 hours, dog didn’t bark, no evidence of rape at the hospital & she knew where he put the knife. Her story made less sense than her original murder story (he killed the GF, but he was hiding in the car so only she was seen.)) Her parents and brother defended her to the max and were in some deep denial.  His voice and the recorded voice were not even remotely similar. Glad she’s in jail. 

• Love 7

Did anyone catch those shows yesterday that feature spouses that hire hit men to kill their spouse or ex-spouse?  Man, that is COLD stuff.  And the denial??? OMG.  The entire hire is video recorded so you can see and hear the whole thing where they say they " I want DH DEAD.  And, here's the money.  I don't care how you you do it. Just so he's DEAD.  I will NOT change my mind, I want him DEAD!"  Then, after they are arrested, they DENY, DENY, DENY.....so bizarre.  

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I felt bad for the sister but wanted to shake her everyone she started w/the no family & that this was her sister. Honey, you don’t need a sister like that. Find some good quality friends and move on. 

I know that one. The boyfriend was Jameer, the cop & crazy girlfriend was 911 operator. She killed the new/same time GF and blamed it on him when caught. Later tried to set him up for raping her. (She said she went to walk the dog, he followed and raped her for 6 hours, dog didn’t bark, no evidence of rape at the hospital & she knew where he put the knife. Her story made less sense than her original murder story (he killed the GF, but he was hiding in the car so only she was seen.)) Her parents and brother defended her to the max and were in some deep denial.  His voice and the recorded voice were not even remotely similar. Glad she’s in jail. 

This happened in my state (NC).   This woman had her family and a lot of others fooled, but, she really is a sociopath, imo.  

https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7092468/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
On 4/27/2019 at 4:04 PM, KellsBells said:

I stuck it out, but that was SOOOOOO annoying!

And speaking of annoying, I can't deal with the promo anymore that has the crappy 80's Rockwell "Somebody's Watching Me" in the background, but it's re-done and sung buy some woman who is flat-out screaming by the time the promo is over.  HATE IT.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone catch those shows yesterday that feature spouses that hire hit men to kill their spouse or ex-spouse?  Man, that is COLD stuff.  And the denial??? OMG.  The entire hire is video recorded so you can see and hear the whole thing where they say they " I want DH DEAD.  And, here's the money.  I don't care how you you do it. Just so he's DEAD.  I will NOT change my mind, I want him DEAD!"  Then, after they are arrested, they DENY, DENY, DENY.....so bizarre.  

I just always want to say to these people, it's a cop!! I think like 85% of these hiring a hitman people end up talking to an undercover cop!

• Love 9

Yeah, I think they get those and prevent them when it's a cop. Sadly, when it's not a cop the spouse is actually killed and they sometimes figure it out and get the person behind it.....and sometimes, there's not enough evidence. 

And most of the time, these spouses who want to hire a killer are so giddy! They seem tickled to death to get their spouse killed.  I mean, none of them are crying and really upset about it.  If they were smarter, they'd claim that he was evil, violent and trying to hurt them.  That way, they'd have some sort of a defense. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

I normally don't buy in to the "I was framed" stuff, but after seeing that story about that woman Seemona who dated the guy claiming to be a cop - Jerry - and what all he did to her after she filed rape charges against him....just.....**shudder**.  What's worse is how there was very strong evidence that showed she didn't do what he framed her for, and cops ignored it.  It turned out Jerry was never a cop, but just an informant, and a cop groupie.  He was slick enough to steal her business from her.  Scary stuff.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

I normally don't buy in to the "I was framed" stuff, but after seeing that story about that woman Seemona who dated the guy claiming to be a cop - Jerry - and what all he did to her after she filed rape charges against him....just.....**shudder**.  What's worse is how there was very strong evidence that showed she didn't do what he framed her for, and cops ignored it.  It turned out Jerry was never a cop, but just an informant, and a cop groupie.  He was slick enough to steal her business from her.  Scary stuff.

And even from prison, he stone cold denied it. I was glad she was able to get a settlement from the police.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I know, that denial of things they are taped saying is crazy. "That's not me." Um, yeah, it is. Wow. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I know. I posted about the "Good Sister, Bad Sister" episode somewhere upthread. Gawd, that Bad Sister was a heinous bitch. I'm glad they nailed her and she got prison time.

1 hour ago, KellsBells said:

I know, that denial of things they are taped saying is crazy. "That's not me." Um, yeah, it is. Wow. 

I can't believe the case dragged on through THREE trials, but Dalia Dippolito was convicted in 2017 for the third time. That murder-for-hire case was covered on a few true crime shows. Can't remember which one(s) I saw, but she was quite a piece of work. At some point in the interminable case, I think just in the media (vs. in court) somebody on Delia's behalf put out the theory that the whole caper was a bid by Dalia and her spouse to get their own reality TV show. The poor gal just thought this was all a stunt for the cameras, they said. 

Oh, please.

It was creative, as these defenses go. But, didn't work. 

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I can't believe the case dragged on through THREE trials, but Dalia Dippolito was convicted in 2017 for the third time. That murder-for-hire case was covered on a few true crime shows. Can't remember which one(s) I saw, but she was quite a piece of work. At some point in the interminable case, I think just in the media (vs. in court) somebody on Delia's behalf put out the theory that the whole caper was a bid by Dalia and her spouse to get their own reality TV show. The poor gal just thought this was all a stunt for the cameras, they said. 

Oh, please.

It was creative, as these defenses go. But, didn't work. 

Finally!  I hope this time the bitch isn't allowed to stay on house arrest pending yet another appeal.  She belongs in JAIL for every damned day of her 16 year sentence.

• Love 8

re: Dalia--I thought she had only 2 trials.  First one overturned and it took about two years--time in which she had a baby! she was under  house arrest. She's still in prison.

I love that she had a breakdown BEFORE the cop finished telling her her husband was dead!

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, smittykins said:

And even from prison, he stone cold denied it. I was glad she was able to get a settlement from the police.

She got 2 separate settlements.  She likely won't have to work for the rest of her life, and I'm glad for her, because her PTSD is so bad that she's often afraid to leave the house.

• Love 4

She got 2 Mil from Nassau County, for false arrest and imprisonment, and I'm sure there was a 2nd suit, but it might be a confidential settlement.

Jerry has a LinkedIn page that he set up before this all went down, saying he was ex law enforcement, and owned some PI firm, and was "co-owner" of Seemona's restaurant, which he eventually stole from her by forging documents making him owner.  He also threatened her at his sentencing hearing, saying "This isn't over".  I wouldn't want to leave the house either, considering everything he was able to set up against her.

• Love 4

I was watching Ice Cold Blood last night and they were talking about having hairs from the suspect and they said one was an inner thigh hair. I had no idea that they could tell something like that but apparently so,

• Love 3

Did anyone see the Elizabeth Smart special called Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Story.  I think it was Lifetime, but, I couldn't find any thread on these boards about it.  Please pardon me if there is. I did several searches too.    I thought Smart did a great job.  The other women that she interviewed were also inspiring.  I didn't think it was improper at all.  Very supportive to Jayme.  Smart has a lot to offer.  I'm impressed with her work on this project. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/26/elizabeth-smart-i-didnt-want-my-jayme-closs-lifetime-special-to-be-exploitative/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Does anyone know if HLN stuff is available On Demand?  I wanted to see the "Very Scary People" on Jonestown.  The DVR didn't indicate it was a 2-parter.  I only got part 2.  I couldn't locate HLN on our cable's On Demand menu.  I think CNN owns them.   And of course, they're not airing that one any time soon (but are airing Manson and Gacy several more times).  And as an aside, the Osama Bin Laden one was really good - I had it on for background noise, thinking I wouldn't really be in to it.

19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone see the Elizabeth Smart special called Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Story.

I came on here looking for the same exact thing. I dvr’ed it and only watched last night. Firstly I do think Elizabeth Smart is an amazing woman. I thought her advice for the community and the way she spoke to the other survivors was powerful and moving.  I did get a little strange vibe from it though. Elizabeth’s reaction to the little girl sobbing at the school was unexpected. I think she’s still keeps people and emotions at arms length, not that anyone can blame her. Also the way all these women and Elizabeth were speaking about Jayme and how to help her but she wasn’t there. It did feel a little exploitive. I think it would have been better if the show didn’t make helping Jayne the main focus, but instead just getting all these women together to share their experiences and find solace in each other. 

I shed some tears when the ladies where recounting their experiences. Being abducted for any period of time is unimaginable, but I was really stuck by the lady who was held for nine years. It’s just such a triumph that she survived at all. 

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Does anyone know if HLN stuff is available On Demand?  I wanted to see the "Very Scary People" on Jonestown.  The DVR didn't indicate it was a 2-parter.  I only got part 2.  I couldn't locate HLN on our cable's On Demand menu.  I think CNN owns them.   And of course, they're not airing that one any time soon (but are airing Manson and Gacy several more times).  And as an aside, the Osama Bin Laden one was really good - I had it on for background noise, thinking I wouldn't really be in to it.

Here's a way to stream HLN  programs online through the CNNgo website.. The CNNgo app is also available for the Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV, and iPad.

• Love 2