Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Did anyone see the Betrayed episode about Janet Chandler? I just watched it this weekend. I don't know why it affected me so much. Maybe because we lived not far from there at the time? Maybe because my nephew went to the same college (many years later)? I just can't get over how many people just sat in that house partying,listening to her being tortured and did nothing about it and the fact that none of them went to the police in 25 years, wow!!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

Did anyone see the Betrayed episode about Janet Chandler? I just watched it this weekend. I don't know why it affected me so much. Maybe because we lived not far from there at the time? Maybe because my nephew went to the same college (many years later)? I just can't get over how many people just sat in that house partying,listening to her being tortured and did nothing about it and the fact that none of them went to the police in 25 years, wow!!

Yeah, that one was disturbing,  I saw it when they first aired it.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Yeah, that one was disturbing,  I saw it when they first aired it.

Yeah, not to be overly dramatic but I really hope that those people who did nothing for her, hear her screams in their nightmares!

• Love 8
(edited)
22 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

Yeah, not to be overly dramatic but I really hope that those people who did nothing for her, hear her screams in their nightmares!

Not being overly dramatic.  Some cases just tug at us.

I read a book in high school about a case that happened about 2 hours from me, but in the late 70's, so I don't recall hearing about it (I was young).  The girl was a recent high school graduate, and was trying to save up money while deciding what to do next with her life.  She was working at the local hospital in the cafeteria.  She was targeted by 2 perverts, one of whom had a thing for nurses in white uniforms, and he was prowling the hospital looking for his next victim.  She lived out in the boonies, as I did at the time, and they followed her, then passed her and cut her off, forcing her out of her car (which she had just bought) and in to their car, and what really got me was they talked about her being in the back seat of their car, passing familiar homes and seeing people she knew outside....I just couldn't imagine.  They both assaulted her in the back of the car, then drove her to an illegal garbage dump in the woods, stabbed her to death, and buried her under trash.  It was just so senseless, and she was so young.  And she wasn't even a nurse.  Just heartbreaking.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2

I saw it over the weekend too and it disturbed me. All those people at the house and no one said anything. Not one word after hearing her being raped and tortured all night long by every man there. That one woman who helped set it in motion so she could keep the man. So she set up and was happy to hear her being raped and tortured. All of those people are horrible. How do you do that and say nothing? How do you hear that and do nothing? Just go about your lives? I wish there was a way to charge everyone at the house that night. 

• Love 4

Did anyone catch Evil Lives Here last night?  It featured the case of Ian Stawicki, who opened fire in a Seattle  coffee cafe killing 5 people.  He also shot himself.  His father was featured.  I'm not sure what the point was with his father doing it.  The absolute refusal of him and his wife to acknowledge mental health issues or to try to get the adult son help is shocking.  I also read where the son had been arrested, restraining orders filed, several times, but, family and others always turned on the police and changed their story to protect this young man. so that he walked away with dismissals.   What a cluster f?  With all the opportunities we have for reading about mental illness on the internet, newspapers, magazines, tv, etc., and they apparently never read anything about it.  

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/true-crime/ian-stawicki-murdered-five-people-before-taking-his-own-life-evil-lives-here-explores-the-case/

• Love 7
(edited)

To me, there needs to be a law that if you have a teen or adult child who is very angry, anti-social, aggressive who loves and possesses firearms and who lives on your property, you must watch at least 12 hours of news footage covering school and other mass shootings, that concludes with an informational video on the laws that are available in your jurisdiction to address such situations.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11
(edited)
7 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

Yes. That story was horrifying. I suppose they'd say they were afraid of what would happen if they spoke up or did something, but...I dunno. There were enough of them there that I would think they'd have had the power to stop this somehow. 

But yes, even if they were afraid that night, to not say anything at all in the years following...no. My conscience would get to me too much after a time. 

@SunnyBeBe, yep. That story irritated the crap out of me, too. "Let's see, my son has been exhibiting aggressive, violent behavior. I know! I'll bond with him over guns!" ????

Stories about mass shootings in general make me angry. There's far, far, far too many of them. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10
On 1/20/2019 at 4:42 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Porco case comes to mind.    Even worse was the Chris Pritchard case where he hatched a plot to kill to kill Lieth Von Stein (his stepdad), and Bonnie (his mother), in concert with some of his friends.    Bonnie survived, and in spite of strong evidence, has always been a strong supporter of her son.    Angela Pritchard (the sister) was in another part of the house, sound asleep, and with a fan running, and slept through the entire murder.   The motive wasn't just the estimated $2 million that was the potential inheritance, if both parents died, but according to co-conspirators, Chris was angry the stepfather wasn't spending enough of his recent $1 million inheritance on Chris.    Chris gave a copy of the house key, and a map to the house.     Ironically, Chris P. has been out of prison for years, claims to have found religion, and is very close with his mother. It makes me think that there's more than one way to get the money someday, through mom's will.        The actual killer doesn't have a parole hearing until 2022.         Some of the confederates had much longer sentences, but the mastermind only got 20 years.    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lieth_Von_Stein

I first read about the Pritchard/Von Stein case years ago, through Joe McGinniss' book.  It still makes me angry that Chris Pritchard is out of prison.  He was the "mastermind" of the attack and murder.  Just as guilty, if not more so, than the individual who actually killed.  No way Pritchard should be out, whether he found religion or not.  

And FWIW, I'm not sure that Angela didn't know it was going down.  One of the first officers on the scene said that it was a warm/hot evening and she had a glass of water on her nightstand with ice cubes that had not melted.  So either she got it herself, or someone brought it to her, but it would certainly support that she may not have been asleep when Leith was killed and Bonnie attacked.   And Angela supposedly had a thing for one of the killers.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:30 PM, Jeeves said:

That's interesting. I followed his story in the news back in the day (I'm old and I live in Colorado where over on the Western Slope, he escaped from jail *after* having escaped once from custody in Aspen and being recaptured).

How did the Chi Omega murders in Florida fit into his purpose, though? Didn't he sort of rampage through the place committing murder and mayhem, vs. his more usual abduction scenario? Just curious what you think about that. I've always thought it was probably that he was spinning out of control or maybe had planned one of his abductions that went wrong, so that was some kind of plan B. 

ETA: Oh gosh, I just learned that tonight (February 15), there's a new episode ofABC News' 20/20 all about Ted Bundy. I've set the DVR. I found this timeline of his crimes on the ABC website.

Florida Ted was very different from Pacific Northwest Ted of years prior.  He had been a stealth killer, who could lure young women away (or abduct them from their bedrooms) silently, without being seen, or easily blend into the crowd.  By 1978, after having been locked up for a handful of years, and drinking heavily, Ted could no longer be that type of killer.  He was noticed by young women at the nightclub by the Chi Omega House as being creepy and staring at them weirdly.  I think his pent-up aggression and desire to kill just exploded at Chi Omega.  The Ted of the early 1970s probably would have grabbed one girl from the sorority house and she would simply have been missing - - hardly a national news story and the Pacific Northwest would have been none the wiser.  But the vicious attack that went down became national news and alerted Washington, Utah, Colorado, etc. that their escaped killer was in the Sunshine State.  

I think it's possible he had seen some of the girls leaving the nightclub and heading into Chi Omega and it was an impulse thing (hence, grabbing the log outside the back door.)  Ann Rule had theorized at one time that he had been following Margaret Bowman (one of the victims) as she very closely resembled his preferred victim (pretty with long dark hair parted in the middle.)  Chi Omega also had a chart/floor plan of where each girl's room was at the bottom of the stairs/by the front door before the murders, so if he had known her or her name, he could easily have found out what room was hers.

He almost certainly had seen or spied on Cheryl Thomas before as he left Chi Omega and immediately went to her apartment and attacked her. 

As far as his "purpose" went, his purpose was to kill.  He enjoyed bludgeoning females and he especially enjoyed strangling them to death while he was having sex with them.  He also enjoyed the hunt but his main thrill was "possessing" them by cracking them over the head and doing with them what he wanted until he decided to kill them.  In Washington, he seemed to have beheaded most of them and carried their heads home with them, to continue to "play" with them.  What he did with their bodies is unknown but most probably buried and never discovered (or not enough discovered to ID.)  In Utah, he appeared to take the victims back to his apartment for a time before disposing of them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The Von Stein murder was in my state and I used to read a lot about it. (The book is by Joe McGuinsess. )  It was labeled the Dungeons and Dragons Murder due to the famous game the killer college students used to play.  (My fiance played it in college and this freaked me out.) The refusal of Pritchard's mother to accept her son's guilt was just bizarre and so disrespectful to her dead husband, imo.  I do think she eventually came around.   I was living in Raleigh, near the campus the boys lived when this happened and had just moved from ECU, which was near where the murders happened, so, it was particularly scary for me. 

• Love 3

Just watched the new show on ID called Deadly Recall, with Pat Postiglione.  I'm sure he's a very good detective, and he seems very nice, but he is just not interesting enough as a speaker to carry a show.  I'm certain there are other detectives around the country who could do better.  They're going with the angle that he doesn't write anything down in the way of notes at a crime scene (hence the "Recall" portion of the show title), but that angle doesn't make for a compelling show.

Also, I'm watching the old series Cold Case Files, which is from almost 20 years ago, and I am absolutely floored that they frequently show the actual dead bodies, including faces.  They pixilate out nudity but show plenty of other things.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just watched an episode about Jeffrey McDonald and am still astounded that anyone would think he's anything but guilty.

The show didn't mention that (according to McGinnis) he was telling Colette that he would be going to Russia with a gov. sports team for two weeks when in fact there was no such trip. Which would have given him two weeks to screw around.  And I don't believe (obviously) the happy marriage bullshit.

They had to get married and I think  he had a lot of built up resentment that came to a head when he found the wet bed.

Acid is groovy, kill the pigs.  /snort/

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I just watched an episode about Jeffrey McDonald and am still astounded that anyone would think he's anything but guilty.

The show didn't mention that (according to McGinnis) he was telling Colette that he would be going to Russia with a gov. sports team for two weeks when in fact there was no such trip. Which would have given him two weeks to screw around.  And I don't believe (obviously) the happy marriage bullshit.

They had to get married and I think  he had a lot of built up resentment that came to a head when he found the wet bed.

I always found that case so fascinating, simply because of the blood types. I wonder what the odds are of a 4 person family with none of them having the same blood type?

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Yeah, that roving band of hippies story was just so ludicrous.  I think Helena Stokely was so burned out that she was just parroting things she heard through the grapevine (her father was an officer on the base), when she wasn't recanting her testimony.

It's also a 50/50 chance that any episode on him will mention that he was heavily using drugs at the time.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, One Tough Cookie said:

What program was this on, @One Tough Cookie?  I have been following this case since McGinniss' "Fatal Vision" came out.  

MacDonald is guilty as sin.   Yeah, sure, the boxing team is going on a trip.  To freaking New Jersey.  As McGinniss said, MacDonald basically wanted to be anywhere but Castle Drive.  He didn't want the responsibilities of being a husband and father.  The fact that he could rate the disappointment of not being sent to Vietnam in the same list as the murders of his family speaks volumes.  Read his Article 32 testimony in full - - you will have no doubt of his guilt.  If anyone does, compare the autopsy reports of his family to his "injuries."  Not even remotely close.

50 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

I always found that case so fascinating, simply because of the blood types. I wonder what the odds are of a 4 person family with none of them having the same blood type?

Actually, the odds are not as off as you would think.  Since Colette and Jeff had different blood types,  their children having different blood types is not uncommon.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

An ID 48 hrs. program.

My bad--it was a People Magazine show on ID.

Okay.  I saw that People Magazine Investigates - - and I use "Investigates" very lightly.  I think that program was done with a great deal of cooperation from the current Mrs. MacDonald so there are a lot of falsehoods being reported as fact.  

• Love 6

ID is really hyping their upcoming show about the Atlanta Child Murders, and I worry that they will try to exonerate Wayne Williams for at least some of the killings. There is not a single piece of evidence, after 40 years and many DNA tests, that does that. But there are so many people who desperately want to blame the murders on the police or “the Klan” or some other phantom for political reasons. 

• Love 8
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, psychoticstate said:

Okay.  I saw that People Magazine Investigates - - and I use "Investigates" very lightly.  I think that program was done with a great deal of cooperation from the current Mrs. MacDonald so there are a lot of falsehoods being reported as fact.  

I absolutely believe Jeffrey MacDonald is guilty. A group of murderers wouldn't kill a two year old and leave him alive to testify. 

• Love 13
21 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

ID is really hyping their upcoming show about the Atlanta Child Murders, and I worry that they will try to exonerate Wayne Williams for at least some of the killings. There is not a single piece of evidence, after 40 years and many DNA tests, that does that. But there are so many people who desperately want to blame the murders on the police or “the Klan” or some other phantom for political reasons. 

I worry too about that.  They are deliberately misleading the public who aren't familiar with the story (being born after 1981, perhaps) to know that Wayne Williams IS the Atlanta Child Murderer.

• Love 5

I will never believe anyone but Jeffrey MacDonald killed his wife, and those two little girls.    The biggest convincing fact to me is the phony way he staged the pajama top, where the holes line up perfectly with the stab marks in the material, if you lay the top out neatly.   The holes back and front match.    

I've always been amazed at how the Wayne Williams apologists think anyone white could have gone unnoticed in the neighborhoods where the abductions happened.    

• Love 11
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I will never believe anyone but Jeffrey MacDonald killed his wife, and those two little girls

Me, neither.

Same with Michael Peterson. Owl attack, my ass.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 14
On 3/9/2019 at 12:58 AM, Shriekingeel said:

The fiber evidence alone was astounding to prove him guilty.

• Love 9

I don't think Wayne Williams acted alone, or someone else's work was lumped in with his as a whole.  But yes, he is guilty.

I was trying to sleep last night, and made the mistake of watching "Murder Lives Here" with the woman who married the guy who murdered her daughters (he wasn't the father) but spared his own biological kid.  My heart broke for his ex-wife, and his sister, who apparently lived with them (although I don't recall it being mentioned).  She blamed herself for not going back to get something she forgot, but if she had walked in on that, she would have likely been killed too.  No matter how many of these shows I watch, there are some really sick freaks out there who continue to amaze me.

• Love 3

I believe that Jeffrey MacDonald is guilty.  HIs wife and daughters were brutalized.  I think I remember in the People Magazine show they said "he had a collapsed lung.  He was in the ICU for a week."  Yeah, he knew how to use the ice pick to collapse his lung and in the early 70's if you were a doctor with an injury, they would probably stick you in the ICU. Also during that time insurance didn't limit the time, especially for a doctor, that it does now. 

I live in Atlanta now, but I didn't during the time of the Atlanta Child Murders.  Also, I was young so the story didn't resonate with me at that time.  One thing that I don't remember: did the murders continue after he was arrested or did they all stop? 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I believe that Jeffrey MacDonald is guilty.  HIs wife and daughters were brutalized.  I think I remember in the People Magazine show they said "he had a collapsed lung.  He was in the ICU for a week."  Yeah, he knew how to use the ice pick to collapse his lung and in the early 70's if you were a doctor with an injury, they would probably stick you in the ICU. Also during that time insurance didn't limit the time, especially for a doctor, that it does now. 

I live in Atlanta now, but I didn't during the time of the Atlanta Child Murders.  Also, I was young so the story didn't resonate with me at that time.  One thing that I don't remember: did the murders continue after he was arrested or did they all stop? 

They all stopped.  He was the one.

• Love 7

Seriously, the promos on ID are making me insane.  One guy says "like the old saying, nothing good ever happens after 12".  WHAT??  That's not how it goes!  And the other guy who says something like "the worst things happen after dark".  DUH!  C'mon, ID, make some new promos, please?

• Love 10
On 3/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, Brattinella said:

Seriously, the promos on ID are making me insane.  One guy says "like the old saying, nothing good ever happens after 12".  WHAT??  That's not how it goes!  And the other guy who says something like "the worst things happen after dark".  DUH!  C'mon, ID, make some new promos, please?

I KNOOOOOW.  It's so annoying. The way he says the word "tweeeeeelve."  

• Love 4
On 3/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, Shriekingeel said:

Considering one of the taglines for the promo was "Will Justice Ever Be Served?" I'm guessing they are going with a Williams is innocent angle.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Considering one of the taglines for the promo was "Will Justice Ever Be Served?" I'm guessing they are going with a Williams is innocent angle.

Yes, and the next one will be "Posthumous pardon for Ted Bundy".

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 3/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Jordan61 said:

Just from little of the promos I've watched, I thought that they were suggesting that all the murders in that time frame were being pinned on Williams, whereas maybe there was at least one other murdered working at the time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Just from little of the promos I've watched, I thought that they were suggesting that all the murders in that time frame were being pinned on Williams, whereas maybe there was at least one other murdered working at the time.

Oh, could be. I didn't really listen, I just happened to catch the tagline I mentioned.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, Jordan61 said:

But that's the new thing nowadays, thanks to stuff like "Making A Murderer".  I'm not getting in to that case, but the people I knew who watched that, and that only, were ready to bust him out of jail because he was framed.  I asked every single one if they had seen anything else about that case, including the one hour special that one of the networks put out showing something like 15 things that the show left out completely, or glossed over.  They all said no.  The few who bothered to follow up said they still can't decide, but were disappointed in that "Making A Murderer" was from an unbalanced perspective.  Look no further than the Scott Petersen thing last year, or all of the Jon Benet Ramsey stuff.

13 hours ago, auntjess said:

I've always thought there was a 2nd, likely unrelated killer at that time, because some of the murders were different, IIRC, and that the 2nd killer likely moved on or stopped when WW was arrested (it does happen).

• Love 4

Okay gang, I've lived in Atlanta for 45 years and know all about the Wayne Williams case, a good friend of mine worked for the crime bureau that did the fiber evidence on him, and HONEY HE DID IT, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever.  So I will be very interested about how they do this case. Okay, help me, what is it called where and when, thanks guys!

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Okay gang, I've lived in Atlanta for 45 years and know all about the Wayne Williams case, a good friend of mine worked for the crime bureau that did the fiber evidence on him, and HONEY HE DID IT, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever.  So I will be very interested about how they do this case. Okay, help me, what is it called where and when, thanks guys!

I think it's called "The Atlanta Child Murders" and it's on ID.  Not sure when it is premiering.

• Love 3

I absolutely believe Wayne Williams is guilty, but there are some parts to the case that make me wonder if they lumped a bunch of stuff in to one package and called it "solved".

1)  Most serial killers have a type and don't switch back and forth.  WW was implicated in the murder of kids, teens, and adults.  Also, all but 2 of the total victims were male.

2)  Most serial killers use the same methods.  A number of the kids died from strangulation/suffocation and were left outside.  Most of the adults (if not all - having trouble remembering) were dropped in to water (although some of that could be with the police appearing on TV, suggesting that the killer might start dropping bodies in to water to hide evidence).  One of the kids was found inside of an abandoned building, and one of the kids was dumped at the back door of the parole office (he had also been stabbed in addition to blunt force trauma and appeared to have been robbed - that victim had just testified against some other kids in a court case).  But a number of the kids died by blunt force trauma, one was shot, and one was stabbed (not the one who was left at the parole office).  It's just all over the place.  Of the adults, ALL were suffocated/strangled, except for one, who was stabbed.

3) Some witnesses (yes, I know they can't always be reliable) said that there were 2 men.  In the case of one of the females, they saw a man climb through the window of an apartment where the girl lived, and there was another man waiting in the parking lot.

4) There is at least one person on the original police team, and a well-known FBI profiler who believe that not all of these murders were committed by WW.  The profiler says that he believes that police know who the other person is, and that "it ain't pleasant".

I did find it laughable that WW's attorneys demanded DNA testing on the dog hair from the adult victims to prove he didn't do it.  Turns out that the DNA test proves the dog was at least related to his dog, if not his dog.  Same with hairs found on some of the adult victims - they couldn't rule out that they belonged to WW.  I never figured the KKK had any involvement.  The person they heard praising the murders who was affiliated with the KKK passed a polygraph.  I know that's not foolproof, but that was really the only link.

Not sure if I want to watch this or not.  The Scott Petersen one just ticked me off.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Just because WW might NOT have committed a couple of those 24 murders does NOT prove him innocent of the convictions.  IIRC, he confessed to lots more than the two.  Thank you, @atlantaloves for putting your 2 cents in!

I don't recall him ever confessing, but I said at the start of my post that I absolutely believe he is guilty of some of the murders, but I beliee some were lumped in with him.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I think it's called "The Atlanta Child Murders" and it's on ID.  Not sure when it is premiering.

The Atlanta Child Murders (3 episodes) airs on the ID Channel on Saturday 3/23 at 6:00 pm, and re-airs at 9:00 pm.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

My husband recorded Oxygen's "In Defense of Ted Bundy' and snap, I immediately deleted it unwatched.  THERE IS NO DEFENSE OF TED BUNDY.

Yeah, that's a poor choice of titles.  I'm sure they're talking to any attorneys that worked with him, or looking at how he defended himself, but someone should receive a reprimand for that title.  Yeesh.

• Love 9

The Atlanta mayor is reopening and retesting the evidence in the Atlanta child murders. There is zero doubt in my mind that Williams did this. I also agree with the detective that says how unreliable this will be. Collection and chain of custody was so different back then. I hate that this will likely lead to doubt for many. Ugh.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/mayor-to-make-major-announcement-related-to-atlanta-child-murders-case/932716732

• Love 7

I'm all for reexamining the case to get justice for the families of the other, what, 20+ dead children who have never received answers. Maybe Williams will be tied to all of them. Maybe not. But let's not pretend like they didn't haphazardly throw all the murders in his lap just to close the case and shut the community up.

I think he did most if not all of them but many of the families are still wondering. Wouldn't you want to know for sure one way or the other? I would. 

And if you know anything about the history of the south, you would know the klan angle isn't far-fetched at all. Again, I think Williams is guilty but I don't understand all the resistance to taking another look.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 6

Nothing wrong with looking at evidence again or using DNA testing to provide more answers.

This case though is not exclusive to unsolved/missing/dead persons.

It has just been released that a bone of Debra Kent (Ted Bundy victim) was found a few years ago. She went missing in the 70's , so there has been a very long passage of time.

I think DNA can fill in a lot of blanks in all cold cases. 

• Love 5