Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

So I don't know who all's watching this "Children of the Snow" documentary, but if you haven't yet seen it, I'm just warning you now, it will turn your stomach something fierce. There are truly no words...

I haven't watched it yet, although I intend to.  I live in the area, and our local TV channel just recently aired a 5-part docu-series covering this as well.  I don't know if it is available for everyone to watch, but the station is WDIV in Detroit for anyone interested.  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So I don't know who all's watching this "Children of the Snow" documentary, but if you haven't yet seen it, I'm just warning you now, it will turn your stomach something fierce. There are truly no words...

When they got to the part about the victim going back to the island, I had to turn it off.  It was absolutely gut wrenching.  I couldn't watch his pain when he was in the cabin.  Poor, poor man.  

• Love 7

I’ve lived in Oakland County, Michigan, since I was born. For the past 20 years (unbeknownst to me) I’ve lived six blocks from Barry King, the father of Timothy King, who was abducted and murdered.  As a legal secretary, I temped for Barry King years ago several times. Every time I looked at him my heart hurt. Of course, I never said anything to him knowing he was Timmy’s  father.  He was a VERY sweet man, and very nice to me.

My daughter was 7 years old when the child killings began in Oakland County. Last week when I told her about the upcoming specials on TV about the killings, she said what she remembers most is that she could never go outside without having at least two friends with her.  It was a nightmare!

I’m now 68 years old, and I don’t think  in my lifetime I’ll ever know who killed those kids.  but I absolutely believe BIG money is involved. 

I would love to hear all your opinions after you watch the program. 

P.S.  I also temped for the first cousin of Aileen Wuornos!  I actually did ask him about her, and he said she was a real nut case! Shocker!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

When they got to the part about the victim going back to the island, I had to turn it off.  It was absolutely gut wrenching.  I couldn't watch his pain when he was in the cabin.  Poor, poor man.  

The bit where the guy was talking about how his traumatic experience at that "camp" was the reason he never let his own daughters go to camp-that got me. 

And all the talk of donations and selling videos. I just. What. The. Hell? 

29 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

As a legal secretary, I temped for Barry King years ago several times. Every time I looked at him my heart hurt. Of course, I never said anything to him knowing he was Timmy’s  father.  He was a VERY sweet man, and very nice to me.

I just wanted to give him the world's biggest hug. Losing a child would be painful enough as it is, but to lose them that way...

My daughter was 7 years old when the child killings began in Oakland County. Last week when I told her about the upcoming specials on TV about the killings, she said what she remembers most is that she could never go outside without having at least two friends with her.  It was a nightmare!

I can imagine! The newscaster reading that letter he got from the little girl in which she hoped they'd catch this bad guy, and admitting to having nightmares because of this, broke my heart. 

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm trying to recall the Masters case. I watched every single episode of Cold Case the drama series.  I just can't place it.  I bet I could, if I saw a clip, but, couldn't fine one. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the Feds went after him and now he is on DR in Fed lock up. I'm too lazy to google. Thee case was sort of Fatal Vision, wasn't it?

• Love 2

Rodie Sanchez, he of the marvelous, sexy, voice, will be at Crime Con in New Orleans. 
https://www.flipsnack.com/crimecon/crimeconfidential-issue-1-jan-2019.html?fbclid=IwAR2WrQEH5fBdauafF7jfC8Fcwgy1Hg_Amel9S_mSNWGSFyhJs94O7eaHzQk

From his Facebook: "The news is now out!
I was contacted and invited to speak at this years CrimeCon in New Orleans this coming June. This my friends, is a HUGE event. I've never spoken to a large audience like this before and honestly, I'm a little nervous. Will be thousands attending and will be honored to meet the Who's Who of law enforcement. Just to shake Nancy Grace's hands would make it all worth it. Please make sure you check out the site to get tickets. Hope to see everyone there. Thanks for the constant support.
(I'm on page 6)"

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Rodie Sanchez, he of the marvelous, sexy, voice, will be at Crime Con in New Orleans. 
https://www.flipsnack.com/crimecon/crimeconfidential-issue-1-jan-2019.html?fbclid=IwAR2WrQEH5fBdauafF7jfC8Fcwgy1Hg_Amel9S_mSNWGSFyhJs94O7eaHzQk

From his Facebook: "The news is now out!
I was contacted and invited to speak at this years CrimeCon in New Orleans this coming June. This my friends, is a HUGE event. I've never spoken to a large audience like this before and honestly, I'm a little nervous. Will be thousands attending and will be honored to meet the Who's Who of law enforcement. Just to shake Nancy Grace's hands would make it all worth it. Please make sure you check out the site to get tickets. Hope to see everyone there. Thanks for the constant support.
(I'm on page 6)"

YAY!!!  Rodie!

• Love 4
On 2/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, Jeeves said:

Years ago Cold Case Files did an episode about the conviction of Timothy Masters for the murder of Peggy Hettrick in Ft. Collins, Colorado. When Masters was later exonerated and released after serving ten years, the producers withdrew the episode from further viewing which is good, but apparently it's still available on DVD, which IMO is wrong. (Of course they can't recall DVDs but they could fix it before putting any more on the market.)

I posted that ^^ and then on the following page @SunnyBeBe said:

On 2/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm trying to recall the Masters case. I watched every single episode of Cold Case the drama series.  I just can't place it.  I bet I could, if I saw a clip, but, couldn't fine one. 

If there aren't any Cold Case Files clips about this case available, I think that's great. It means they have deleted promotional material as well as the original show which essentially showcased junk "science".

Tim Masters, as narrated in the material that I linked to in my original post quoted above, was framed and convicted for a 1987 crime he did. not. commit. He was a teenager living in the victim's neighborhood and cops found lots of kinky drawings and writings in his possession, and he owned a lot of knives. However, there wasn't a shred of physical evidence against him including not so much as a drop of blood on any of his knives (it was a very bloody crime scene). Eventually, they hired a psychological profile expert (Meloy) who, based on the evidence the cops cherry-picked to give him, "opined that Masters’ artwork implicated him in the crime. He called the crime “displaced sexual matricide,” arising from Masters’ feeling of abandonment by his mother’s death. Armed with Meloy’s report, Masters was charged with murder on August 10, 1998." He was convicted and sentenced to life.

Then, as the linked article said:

On January 2, 2008, prosecutors admitted that certain evidence had been withheld from Masters’ defense lawyers. The evidence included reports from two experts contacted by police prior to the trial that disagreed with Meloy’s opinion of Masters’ guilt as well as information about the arrest of Hammond. [A dentist who lived 100 yards from the victim's house, who was arrested for surreptitiously filming the genitalia of his female family members and guests and who committed suicide after this 1995 arrest.]

And yes, DNA too: "On January 18, 2008, prosecutors announced that DNA tests pointed to a different suspect in the Hettrick murder and said that Masters should be released from prison."

Masters was released and officially exonerated, The City of Fort Collins and Larimer County ended up paying him millions of dollars for the wrongful conviction and the loss of the prime decade of his life.

More from the linked article:

Meloy later said he was “appalled and stunned” at some of the evidence withheld from him as he developed his profile of Hettrick's killer and claimed he was intentionally manipulated into targeting Masters. He said that he knew nothing about Hammond and that, had he known, Hammond would have been the leading suspect.

After Masters’ release, the two prosecutors who presented the original case against him, Terry Gilmore and Jolene Blair, were censured by the Colorado Supreme Court for failing to turn over evidence to Masters’ defense. Gilmore and Blair later became judges, but both were voted out of office in 2010.

The lead detective in the case, Jim Broderick, was indicted for perjury for allegedly lying about evidence to the grand jury to obtain Masters’ indictment. Ultimately, the prosecution dismissed the perjury charges.

I'm happy Masters got financial restitution, and I'm sorry the lying cop got away with his perjury.

I have no idea why anyone would think Tim Masters was some kind of career criminal, as was suggested, and then retracted, by @One Tough Cookie above. AFAIK he's just a regular guy who got framed by cops and prosecutors and is now just trying to get on with his life. Here's info about a documentary that I haven't watched: https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/local/2014/04/23/documentary-explores-case-tim-masters/8024447/

This case just strengthened my very strong skepticism toward criminal profiling.  

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
On 2/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, MissAlmond said:

Oh my!  This is worth a forum of it's own because I feel the same way, not only about the forensics, but people who were jailed and later found innocent because law enforcement felt they didn't respond properly when told someone had died.  Examples I remember off the top of my head from watching true crime:  

Nancy Grace who was foaming at the mouth, ready to send Runaway Bride Jennifer Wilbanks fiancé to the gas chamber.

The Angie Samota case.  For years law enforcement and that friend were positive Russell Buchanan had murdered her.  Thankfully for him, his parents stepped in and hired an attorney or else he would still be in jail today and the case closed.

Names forgotten but back during Court TV days, a woman was found drowned next to her houseboat.  The husband hadn't reported her missing and when questioned he told police his wife was an alcoholic who disappeared at times so he wasn't worry.  Law enforcement was skeptical and her family/friends insisted the woman didn't drink.  It wasn't until an autopsy revealed a sky high blood alcohol count,  injuries consistent with a fall,  discovery of a secret apartment with a stash of booze, that friends admitted the husband was telling the truth and woman did indeed have a serious drinking problem. 

The poor widow on some ID show who, when informed her missing husband (? I'm fuzzy on this) was found dead, kept acting nonchalant while the husband's relatives fell apart.  Police immediately thought she was involved because she wasn't acting the way they felt she should have.  When the real murderer was found, and the widow was innocent, she explained on the show she can gone into shock and felt if she just kept acting normal, what the police said wasn't true.  

So, yes I still watch true crime, these situations remind me what law enforcement feels in their gut can be 100% wrong.  

I still think that Nancy Grace is at least partially responsible for the Casey Anthony verdict. She spent so much time harping on why hasn't she been arrested, why hasn't she been tried. I think the prosecutors felt the pressure and took her to trial too soon and didn't have the evidence. 

I am also always uncomfortable with the stories where they say "the jury was only out for an hour". I'm sorry but this is someone's life you are dealing with, you could at least spend a few hours reviewing the evidence and trying to make sure that the verdict is correct!

• Love 11
7 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

I am also always uncomfortable with the stories where they say "the jury was only out for an hour". I'm sorry but this is someone's life you are dealing with, you could at least spend a few hours reviewing the evidence and trying to make sure that the verdict is correct!

Agreed. Maybe if it's a super obvious open and shut type case, even, I can see being quick, but yeah, if I were on a jury for a murder case, I'd want to be as thorough as possible. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

Did anyone watch Bodycam about Matthew Riehl? God it was brutal. I remember following this case in real-time. 

Wow, really? I watched it. The amount of bullets fired was incredible. What was the real story with the roommate? Was he just a roommate or was he actually the boyfriend?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

Wow, really? I watched it. The amount of bullets fired was incredible. What was the real story with the roommate? Was he just a roommate or was he actually the boyfriend?

My understanding he was an acquaintance and roommate. I felt bad for the guy.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, Jeeves said:

I have no idea why anyone would think Tim Masters was some kind of career criminal, as was suggested, and then retracted, by @One Tough Cookie above

I had him confused with a man, whose name I can't remember who was charged with murdering a woman who was tying to re-home a dog because the family was moving. The man, like Jeffrey McDonald  was acquitted in the first trial but convicted by the feds and now is on death row. As I recall he had matching dog hair on him that tied him to the crime. I cannot for the recall his name --Henche or something like that.

I'm pretty sure his first name was Tim.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I had him confused with a man...The man, like Jeffrey McDonald  was acquitted in the first trial but convicted by the feds and now is on death row. ... I cannot for the recall his name --Henche or something like that.

I'm pretty sure his first name was Tim.

Tim Hennis

Edited by Josette
added link
  • Love 4

I hope you all watched Dead of Winter last night on I.D.  I lived there at the time of that horrific crime. (Live in a suburb of it now) You never forget the name of the family members,the murderer or when he was put to death. Seemed like such a nice family. We have actually had several bizarre murders committed here and am surprised they have never been covered by any of these crime shows

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

I hope you all watched Dead of Winter last night on I.D.  I lived there at the time of that horrific crime. (Live in a suburb of it now) You never forget the name of the family members,the murderer or when he was put to death. Seemed like such a nice family. We have actually had several bizarre murders committed here and am surprised they have never been covered by any of these crime shows

Such an horrific crime, but the victims have justice!  Creepo criminal was executed!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

I saw it. What a horrible story. How do you look at children and decide to do that to them? I can't even...

• Love 5
On 2/18/2019 at 2:55 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I found this interesting. It's about not glorifying killers like Bundy. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/i-watched-ted-bundy-die-he-doesnt-deserve-to-be-remembered?ref=home

Remembering the details of what Bundy did is not the same as glorifying him.  Every young girl should know NOW to be wary of a friendly, polite, conventionally handsome young man with his arm in a sling who asks her to carry his books or some other package over to a car that is parked out of sight of her friends, especially a car that has some kind of hinky front passenger seat. 

The worst thing we could all do is to not share the information.

• Love 19
53 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Remembering the details of what Bundy did is not the same as glorifying him.  Every young girl should know NOW to be wary of a friendly, polite, conventionally handsome young man with his arm in a sling who asks her to carry his books or some other package over to a car that is parked out of sight of her friends, especially a car that has some kind of hinky front passenger seat. 

I agree. Just this morning I caught the end of a repeat true crime show ("Dead on Arrival") on The Justice Network (waiting for the 6:00 am local news to start). A young woman had gone missing in LA. She'd moved there to pursue her dream of acting, had a day job at which she was super-reliable, and a roomie. Talked to her mom back home on the phone once a day. Told her roomie she'd been offered an audition, was all excited, bought the outfit the guy had told her she needed, and was never seen again. 

She did not: take someone with her to the audition, tell anyone the time and place of the audition, or share the name of the person who'd approached her at the mall (oy!) and initiated the conversation with her that resulted in the "audition" offer. And yes, she was murdered.

The cops caught a break because shortly afterward a young woman reported a similar encounter at a mall, but while she'd followed up on the "audition" offer, she had taken a friend along with her. I missed a bit of that part of the show; the guy either didn't show for the audition or told her it was off. Her description of the guy led to an artist's sketch which led to a parole officer recognizing the guy which led to identification. Eventually the cops pieced it all together and before it was over a total of TEN young women identified the guy as having approached them at shopping malls or similar places and offered them the chance to audition for a role. They either rejected the offer outright or took someone along to the "audition" and lived to tell the tale.

It's so horrible that he did find one young woman who was so trusting in that situation, and paid for it with her life. BTW I hope I don't need to say this, but I am NOT blaming the victim. I wish she'd been less trusting, but that guy was a skilled predator and manipulator. Just want to be clear on that.

These days with social media I can only hope that people of all genders and ages are better at sharing details of their activities with trusted friends in the interests of safety. I saw this in action last year with a neighbor. Nice guy, divorced and dating. Apparently he'd met a woman and arranged a big date for them on a Saturday night. By late Sunday afternoon two of her friends were at his place pounding on the door. Because his date hadn't checked in with them; she'd given them my neighbor's name and address and I think cell number, before the date because she didn't really know him well. When she wasn't answering her phone by Sunday afternoon they were, IMO justifiably, worried. He wasn't answering his either. Turns out they'd had a fabulous sexy time and were zonked out asleep in bed, all safe, apparently too worn out from their bedroom gymnastics to hear their phones ringing. 🤣  I was peripherally involved because I went out to see what a cop and these people were doing at my neighbor's door. I do NOT think those friends overreacted, and kudos to that woman for providing those details to her friends before her date. [ETA: I don't know how they met, if it was via a dating app or not, and have never mentioned the incident to my neighbor because I hope he didn't realize I was there in the background. It's one of those don't ask don't tell deals.]

I would like to think that mobile phones and social media tech have made life at least a little harder for predators like Bundy and the LA 'audition' guy. They have certainly given people some powerful tools for safety, if only they will use them.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
21 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Me too, @Hoosiermom. We actually lived in Newburgh at the time. I was just a few years older than Lisa and Gregory when this happened, but can remember everyone talking about it. I remember how scared I was that something like that could happen to me and my family. And you are right, there have been some bizarre murders here.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, we shouldn't forget history, less we repeat our mistakes, but, I think the objection, at least mine, was the manner of portrayal which seemed to romanticize the killer, flashing his eyes on the screen like a rock star, using language that seemed too complimentary, etc.  The truth should be preserved, revealed and taken to heart. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, TipseyGirl said:

Me too, @Hoosiermom. We actually lived in Newburgh at the time. I was just a few years older than Lisa and Gregory when this happened, but can remember everyone talking about it. I remember how scared I was that something like that could happen to me and my family. And you are right, there have been some bizarre murders here.

I live in Newburgh now! Small world isn’t it?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, hoosiermom said:
1 hour ago, hoosiermom said:

I live in Newburgh now! Small world isn’t it?

Yes it is! I thought that was probably the suburb you were referring to. I live in Evansville now. We’ve probably passed one another in Schnucks or on the Lloyd 😊

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes!  After watching this, I had a convo w/my teen girls about people who try to trick you this way. I did tell them that while I want them to be helpful people, your safety comes first. 

I’m always telling them these little things I see on ‘creepy murder shows’ as they call them. You know, don’t have your ear buds in, pay attention to your surroundings, lock your doors and then riffle through your purse, etc. They usually roll their eyes and scoff but God, I hope some is sinking in. 

#1 thing I always talk about—don’t get moved to a secondary location. Do whatever you have to to avoid being taken.

Also it’s sad that I have to talk about this stuff w/them. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Yes!  After watching this, I had a convo w/my teen girls about people who try to trick you this way. I did tell them that while I want them to be helpful people, your safety comes first. 

I’m always telling them these little things I see on ‘creepy murder shows’ as they call them. You know, don’t have your ear buds in, pay attention to your surroundings, lock your doors and then riffle through your purse, etc. They usually roll their eyes and scoff but God, I hope some is sinking in. 

#1 thing I always talk about—don’t get moved to a secondary location. Do whatever you have to to avoid being taken.

Excellent post!

I love listening to music or podcasts when I'm out walking but I know that the "no ear buds" caution is important. Hope this isn't too OT, but It's not just human predators to think about. That trail runner who was attacked by a mountain lion and killed it with his bare hands to survive, recommends that runners not wear earbuds/headphones. He wasn't wearing them and because of that he was able to hear the somewhat subtle sounds of the cat approaching him from behind. In one of the stories, not sure if it's the one I linked here, he said that if he'd been wearing them, he's sure he would have been taken by surprise and the outcome would have been different.

Also, a good point about not being moved to a secondary location. The other day I was watching an old 2002 documentary about Princess Anne on YouTube. She was famously the object of an attack and attempted kidnapping while returning to Buck Palace in her car in 1974. The assailant was armed and shot four people during the botched kidnap attempt (he was arrested on the scene). Anne very wisely refused his orders - and his attempts to force her - to get out of the car and come with him. (BTW I've always been impressed with her cool head in that situation.)

• Love 10
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:09 AM, Josette said:

Thanks. I read a book about him right after he was acquitted and then closely followed (but obviously forgot) him when the Feds got him. ID did a show on him ages ago telling the whole story, but I haven't seen it recently.  And  I don't believe I called Tim Masters a serial killer. I remember seeing it from a CBS show a  LONG time ago and thinking "that's it?  that's all the evidence they have and was found guilty????   I'm glad he was finally free but boy oh boy did he get a raw deal. No money in the world could make up what they did to him.

eta: I read somewhere that if someone grabs you as you are walking to your car you should throw your keys as far as you can.

Gaven DeBecker's book "The Gift of Fear"  is full of tips on recognizing and dealing with potential danger. I highly recommend it.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Also, a good point about not being moved to a secondary location. The other day I was watching an old 2002 documentary about Princess Anne on YouTube. She was famously the object of an attack and attempted kidnapping while returning to Buck Palace in her car in 1974. The assailant was armed and shot four people during the botched kidnap attempt (he was arrested on the scene). Anne very wisely refused his orders - and his attempts to force her - to get out of the car and come with him.

Yep, just watched a See No Evil, and if the woman had screamed and ran when he stopped in traffic, at an ATM, he might have shot her, might have grabbed her back, anyway.  But lots of people would have seen, and could have alerted police.
Had she died, she'd at least have maybe taken him down too.
(Yes, I've become a spiteful person in the past few years.)

• Love 9
18 hours ago, auntjess said:

Yep, just watched a See No Evil, and if the woman had screamed and ran when he stopped in traffic, at an ATM, he might have shot her, might have grabbed her back, anyway.  But lots of people would have seen, and could have alerted police.
Had she died, she'd at least have maybe taken him down too.
(Yes, I've become a spiteful person in the past few years.) 

If that was the one where she went inside an ATM kiosk while the abductor waited in the car, then I thought she had a great chance to escape.  All she needed to do was run in the opposite direction of where the car was facing.  It was morning on a somewhat busy street.  I really think she could have made it.

I think some people just go into shock and they can't think clearly.  That's why it's a good idea to think about what you might do in such a situation before it happens.   And hopefully it never happens.

Edited by Josette
punctuation
  • Love 11
On 2/24/2019 at 3:54 AM, Tdoc72 said:

My mom and I took a self defense course together when I was a teenager (many moons ago) and that is the one thing I remember. Never let them take you to a second location, sit on the ground and refuse to move if you have to!

• Love 8

I get so frustrated when the wives/mothers say they kept their children in an abusive home, because, if they reported it to police, they would just let the abuser out of jail.  Domestic Violence Restraining Orders have been available in most states since  at least in the 1980's, so, that confuses me.  The Orders of protection may not be 100% effective, but, to pretend that there was no other option, but, to stay in the house with a homicidal maniac, pretending that your hands were tied, is just pathetic. 

s.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Josette said:

If that was the one where she went inside an ATM kiosk while the abductor waited in the car, then I thought she had a great chance to escape.  All she needed to do was run in the opposite direction of where the car was facing.  It was morning on a somewhat busy street.  I really think she could have made it.

I think some people just go into shock and they can't think clearly.  That's why it's a good idea to think about what you might do in such a situation before it happens.   And hopefully it never happens.

I think you're right about people going into shock. Either that or they think if they play along the perpetrator will let them go.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, auntjess said:

What?  Are you talking about In Ice Cold Blood?  I like it, though I couldn't watch that Piers Morgan talks to killers show.

I like In Ice Cold blood, too - and don't mind Ice-T, either.

Piers Morgan, on the other hand, seems to be an arsehole.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

What?  Are you talking about In Ice Cold Blood?  I like it, though I couldn't watch that Piers Morgan talks to killers show.

I don't dislike him, I just can't stand the way he talks - it distracts me and takes me out of the episode.

Random question here -- when police put together a line-up for a victim to look at in order to ID the perp, where do they get the other people in the line-up?  Are they people in jail who are forced to participate?  If not, why on earth would someone participate in one, when the victim could mistakenly pick them out as the perp?  Even if they get people who work in the police building, who are presumably completely innocent, they could still get caught up in something if they are picked out by the victim.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Random question here -- when police put together a line-up for a victim to look at in order to ID the perp, where do they get the other people in the line-up?  Are they people in jail who are forced to participate?  If not, why on earth would someone participate in one, when the victim could mistakenly pick them out as the perp?  Even if they get people who work in the police building, who are presumably completely innocent, they could still get caught up in something if they are picked out by the victim.

I think they may be county workers, or people off the street - people who there would be no way for them to have done it.  It wouldn't make sense any other way, but I could be wrong.

• Love 1

It wasn't a new one, but it was new to me, and I don't remember if it was discussed before or not, but yesterday ID aired the show where a woman called 911 and was trying to drop clues by saying things like "Why are you shooting at us?" and "Why did you bring us to the river?" before the phone went dead.

It was a woman who had lost custody of her kids because someone placed an anonymous call to CPS, and she was visiting her children for Christmas, and was about to get them back, provided she could get a more appropriate car.  She was fairly young, married to a guy who was like 13 years older.  Two of her 3 kids were his.  The two that were his were living with a cousin, and the oldest, who she had at 17, was living with her mother.  Both of them disappeared between visiting the child with her mom, and going to visit the children with her cousin.

The mother blamed the daughter's husband, saying he beat her, etc, but everyone else said that wasn't  true.  I told my husband that I was confident it was someone in the family, because she was about to get the kids back, and someone probably didn't want to give them back.  I said probably someone in the family called CPS.  Reminded me of an old Unsolved Mysteries case from the early days of the show, which was finally solved a few years back, with the discovery of the bodies of those missing on the land of the grandmother of the child in question.

And I was right, but man, I was NOT expecting the plot twist of the oldest child being the product of the stepdad molesting his step daughter, and him not wanting anyone else to raise his kid.  Made me sick.  

• Love 8