Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Anyone watching Abducted in Plain Sight on Netflix? I got rid of my cable, so I haven't been here much. Hope we can discuss Netflix shows.

Hide contents

Young girl abducted by close family friend, twice. The parents, oh, my God, I have no words. I'm almost madder at them than B, the abductor/abuser. There is something so off by their actions that I wonder if they're pedophiles or just sexual degenerates. I cannot believe they were willing to get on TV and admit what shitty parents they were.

I was just in a state of disbelief through the entire show. What idiots they all were! Those parents should have had the girls taken away from them. 

• Love 15

I don't know if it was new or a repeat, but the show that aired after the one with the woman who stayed with Anthony (I have sympathy for abused women and don't criticize them for not leaving so easily ,but seriously...….at what point do you chance it FOR THE SAKE OF THE KID YOU HAVE LEFT and just take off?  And then to find out she was with another whack-a-doodle who killed another kid?  Not much sympathy there.)  was equally cray-cray.  Did they say why his dad went from pastor to Satan worshipper?  I looked up Manson Family 2.0 because I was curious, and like the woman who was abused by Anthony, there's more to their story.  I don't recall the name of the guy they interviewed, but I found him highly sympathetic on the show.  If his name was Scott, then he had a hand in some of the sick stuff that went on - more than he was letting on.  The guy that "Pixie" married was of very low IQ, which makes what they did to him that much worse.  When Pixie killed skipper, she carried his body around for days before they buried him (they made it sound like they buried him immediately on the show).  I had some comfort to know they buried skipper and the guy that Pixie married (his name escapes me) together.  They didn't run paternity testing at the request of HIS family because he believed that baby was his, and they felt it would disrespect his memory.  I lived near Stark County Ohio during the time they took off, and I don't recall hearing about them at all.

Also, the guy talked about how his mom didn't deserve what she got, and she tried to do her best, etc.  Actually, she was abusing the daughters just like the dad was.  Sick sick stuff.  The parents both died in prison, and I hope it's very hot where they are.

• Love 7

What gets me is when the mother confronts the convicted child abuser and he says, it was all a misunderstanding and lies his way clear.  Yeah, why would you believe the guy?  I mean, they take his word over the victim, jury and judge? And who was the psychiatrist on the phone who said they guy was safe to be around children?  Was that a fake doctor or did the mother lie about that part?  PLUS, the guy bullies her father, when he tries to stand up for the kids.....OMG....treating my daddy disrespectfully......man, that would not go over well.  That would confirm the guy as a jerk, imo.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

The recently aired Piers Morgan interview with Alejandro Henriquez is driving me crazy.

At sometime there had to be a tv movie made about him because I know I watched it and remember the pink pants scene and a couple of others.

I have googled and come up with nothing.

Does anyone else remember it and can tell me the name of it?

Found it !    " Fatal Vows The Alexandra O'hara Story "

Edited by Cherrio
added
  • Love 1

I don't know how many of you get the Justice Network. It's apparently a John Walsh operation. No original programming as far as I know. It's one of those sub-channels to over the air stations and now has been picked up by Comcast in our area. It's basically true crime programming, all repeats of shows from other networks. I've watched it a lot, kind of by default, because we've had it over-the-air here for awhile. And my bedroom TV doesn't have cable, but with a good indoor antenna (and fortunate location) it gets *lovely* HD reception on most channels.

Anyway, they've just changed up their schedule a bit for 2019. Bad news, they've added reruns of that moron Dog the Bounty Hunter (yuck). But they do run back to back episodes of old standby shows. At the moment we're getting a big dose of Gayle Hinman's Body of Evidence. Sometimes we see a lot of good old Dr. G, Medical Examiner.  And a lot of Dominick Dunne: Power, Privilege and Justice, and City Confidential . . . and more.

They have been running a show I'd never seen before: Secrets of the Morgue. From the description it seemed that I'd like it but I haven't been able to make it through an entire episode yet. Somehow they've taken what could be interesting cases and turned them into mediocre hour long shows. Meh.

OTOH, I'm finding Fred Dinenage: Murder Casebook to be worth a watch. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

I don't know how many of you get the Justice Network. It's apparently a John Walsh operation. No original programming as far as I know. It's one of those sub-channels to over the air stations and now has been picked up by Comcast in our area. It's basically true crime programming, all repeats of shows from other networks. I've watched it a lot, kind of by default, because we've had it over-the-air here for awhile. And my bedroom TV doesn't have cable, but with a good indoor antenna (and fortunate location) it gets *lovely* HD reception on most channels.

Anyway, they've just changed up their schedule a bit for 2019. Bad news, they've added reruns of that moron Dog the Bounty Hunter (yuck). But they do run back to back episodes of old standby shows. At the moment we're getting a big dose of Gayle Hinman's Body of Evidence. Sometimes we see a lot of good old Dr. G, Medical Examiner.  And a lot of Dominick Dunne: Power, Privilege and Justice, and City Confidential . . . and more.

They have been running a show I'd never seen before: Secrets of the Morgue. From the description it seemed that I'd like it but I haven't been able to make it through an entire episode yet. Somehow they've taken what could be interesting cases and turned them into mediocre hour long shows. Meh.

OTOH, I'm finding Fred Dinenage: Murder Casebook to be worth a watch. 

Oh, I've missed Dominick Dunne's Power, Privilege and Justice. It was such a great show. So was City Confidential.

• Love 11
On 1/21/2019 at 5:55 AM, Lisa418722 said:

Sometimes when I watch these I just yell, "what kind of IDIOT are you?" and this was one of those times.  He's a sex offender, he threatens her father, he lets a friend RAPE her, but she doesn't leave.  I understand the fact that women feel like they can't leave, so I try not to judge, but from the first moment when she finds out he raped his six-month-old niece and she has four daughters, she should have gotten out of there.  I'm glad that her ex-husband was able to get custody of the three older girls. I wonder what the father of her youngest daughter thought after all of this came out.  I did an online search and she had a son with Anthony. When she son was six-months-old (I think) her NEW boyfriend killed the baby and this is what drove Anthony on his rampage (according to Anthony).  Sometimes I look at women and think "being single is not the worst thing in the world."  She is one of those women I think. 

Yeah, putting aside the sex offender stuff, just the fact that two family members tried to warn her about the rumors that he was abusive and she ignored them. And then he tells her to not associate with her family any more which is a huge red flag, with bright lights flashing and she just goes along with it. She should have ended it right then and there!! I am single, honestly it's much better than being with these awful men! Especially if you have children. It's bad enough to date and stay with these awful men when it is just you but to do it when you have children? Unbelievable!

Edited by geekgirl921
more to add
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, I've missed Dominick Dunne's Power, Privilege and Justice. It was such a great show. So was City Confidential.

I miss those shows, too. I'd be all for catching old episodes of them again somewhere. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I miss those shows, too. I'd be all for catching old episodes of them again somewhere. 

Me too. Especially the episode where the guy hires a hitman to kill his wife and the hitman ends up dead in his office. Dominick Dunne says 'there's no way to make that sound good.' He was very funny.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved Dominick Dunne's show, and his Vanity Fair articles were always so well written, and well researched.     City Confidential was so good too.  

Do you have the Justice Network on your cable line up? I've seen reruns of both shows on that station.

• Love 1

As far as Evil Lives Here:  

This episode was unsettling.  I try to empathize with women in abusive situations, realizing it can be hard to leave once you get yourself tangled up in that position, but it seemed to me she walked into this with her eyes wide open.  She was warned, on more than one occasion, that he was potentially a child and woman abuser and shrugged it off, and willingly cut herself off from her family for him.  When she said the first red flag for her was that he wanted her to keep her phone on speaker all night so he could listen in on her, all I could think was “Lady, there were flashing neon lights well before that.” 

• Love 20
12 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

For the first time in years, I quit watching Forensic Files several weeks ago due to the Scarborough fair commercial that played every 10 minutes. Does anyone know if it’s stopped yet?

Hi, Maizie!  Nice to see you!  I haven't watched FF for a while now, we only watch it if there is nothing else on.  I'll check it out tonight, though, and let you know.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, hoopznyo said:

Did anyone watch the Smiley Face Killers first? episode -- how did it end?

I just finished... Upon getting wind that the family was working with the show’s investigative team, the DA’s office released Dakota James’ full file, including the autopsy photos the family had previously been refused.  Dr. Cyril Wecht is working with the team (unclear if only on this case or across the board, but I do believe they said he’s the past Medical Examiner for Allegheny County, where Pittsburgh is located), and reviewed the photos, which VERY CLEARLY showed a ligature mark that was not mentioned in the written autopsy report.  And this wasn’t an “I’m a paid consultant, so I have to come up with something to support my client’s theory...how about you squint and turn your head, and maybe you can sort of see it” ligature mark, it was super obvious.  The young man’s fingers also showed signs that he had been pulling at something (presumably the ligature) premortem.  

The mom and the lead show investigator got an (off-camera) meeting with the DA—interestingly, it was also attended by someone from the FBI and someone from the Secret Service—and the DA indicated that he was going to re-investigate, using his own resources, not those of the Pittsburgh PD, so the mom was feeling pretty good.  In October 2018, though, she found out that the Medical Examiner was refusing to cooperate with the DA’s office, and was told that the investigation couldn’t move forward without him.  WTAF is THAT bullshit??!??  So the parents took to the media, and held a press conference in December 2018.  In a news clip that presumably aired the same day, the reporter said that the ME was willing to meet with the family.  So it seems that if they are ever going to make any headway on this case, the parents are going to have to ride the authorities every single step of the way.  Really sad.

I thought the show was interesting—despite the title, and the fact that the investigators are pursuing the Smiley Face Killer theory, there was very little emphasis on it in this case.  They did find a smiley face upriver from where Dakota’s body was recovered, near where it was theorized that he was put in the water, but the main thrust seemed to be to help the family push for a re-investigation of the case, and changing the cause and manner of death from accidental drowning to homicide (method TBD, though the ligature mark certainly might point them in a direction other than drowning).  They didn’t seem to be aggressively trying to fit the case into the SFK theory, which was refreshing.

• Love 9

Just watched the Deadly Secrets episode called The Truth Hurts.  What in the name of sweet justice was wrong with the police department that was involved?

A husband was executed outside his apartment (house?) around midnight, and the wife is having an affair.  The voiceover said the wife was never considered a suspect, and there were no other suspects.  WTAF?  How do they think the assassin magically knew that the victim would be returning around midnight??? Oh, well that would be the only person who knew what time he was returning -- the WIFE!  And there's definitely no reason for the police to thoroughly check out the wife when she's having an affair, except for, you know, doing their job.

But it gets worse.  Her second husband was murdered, in their bed.  Hmmm....one woman with two husbands that had been murdered, and neither murder has been solved, and the wife has never been investigated...cause, you know, nothing suspicious there!  So according to the voiceover, she wasn't investigated because she was a respected local business owner and she had an alibi. Well, good work detectives!!  No respected local business owners have ever been involved with a murder, and no one has ever hired a hit man to do the murder at the exact time that they create a great alibi for themselves.  Thank goodness for the relatives of the second husband, who knew something was up with the wife, because they are the only reason that this evil woman was ever brought to justice.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Brattinella said:

OMG!  The promos for "Heart of Darkness" on ID are driving me CRAZY!  Every commercial break, "Marriage needs passion, and passion needs fire, and if the fire goes out, make another fire"  AUGH!!!

IKR? It’s getting to be as bad as HLN’s “Scarborough Fair” promo.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Brattinella said:

OMG!  The promos for "Heart of Darkness" on ID are driving me CRAZY!  Every commercial break, "Marriage needs passion, and passion needs fire, and if the fire goes out, make another fire"  AUGH!!!

It's horrible!

Does anyone else think Paula Zahn is starting to look like Vera Farmiga?

• Love 3

I love me some 48 Hours, but I had to delete last night’s ep ten minutes in because the reporter Erin Moriarty was slurring her words and talking unnaturally slow.  I dunno, she sounded kind of drunk, to me.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying The Smiley Faced Killer episodes. Does anyone know if Luke the second victim was gay? That could explain why he was targeted. I don't understand why the cops didn't do a more complete investigation into the deaths.

• Love 2

Can’t stand On the Case with Paula Zahn. I never believed she was actually doing the interviewing and now in the commercial for the upcoming season you actually see her introducing herself to the participants. Lol. I wonder if other people felt the same as I did. Plus, the format is just rediculous. Red herring,red herring, red herring,real killer.

Does anyone have the link to the 20/20 forum? For some reason it’s not listed in mine. TIA.

Edited by hoosiermom
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, Brattinella said:

And the other one they show where it talks about someone being safe in their home, and a bunch of people are then singing Happy Birthday, but it sounds distorted.  Drives me nuts.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Can’t stand On the Case with Paula Zahn. I never believed she was actually doing the interviewing and now in the commercial for the upcoming season you actually see her introducing herself to the participants. Lol. I wonder if other people felt the same as I did. Plus, the format is just rediculous. Red herring,red herring, red herring,real killer.

Preach. I can. not. stand Paula Zahn either. The wide opened eyes, tilted head, hushed and dramatic tone of voice asking stupid shit like, "And how did you FEEL when your precious daughter was brutally murdered?" Gaack.

Just another version of the good old "if it bleeds, it leads" philosophy of journalism, both print and television. A friend shared this story with me, about a family that her family was close to when she was growing up. I think during the 1970's, a teenaged daughter of the family was murdered. The local media, including the gaudy painted TV station vans, descended on the family home. Nobody could go in or out without having a microphone and camera stuck in their face. The usual circus. Anyway, at some point the mother was confronted with a breathless wannabe-Jessica-Savitch who shoved a microphone at her and asked, "How are you feeling?" The woman, with incredible dignity and composure, looked at the stupid bitch and said firmly and without hysterics, "My daughter has been murdered. How do you think I feel?" and walked away. My hero.

• Love 12
On 1/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Doesthatmakesense said:

Has anybody watched the Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix?   I looked for a site here but could not find one. 

Yes! I was living in Seattle in 1974 and had the general appearance of a lot of his victims (so did a lot of people in those days but it was still a scary time). I thought I’d read and seen all there was to see on Bundy but the Tapes held some surprises for me. I thought it was very well done. 

• Love 7
On 1/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, Jordan61 said:

I used to watch The First 48 and it was amazing to me how many times they would say they couldn't nail the guy unless he confessed, which he often did. Of course I don't want people getting away with murder either, but I always found myself thinking, people! You never never never talk to the cops without a lawyer!!

Not even if you are innocent. More than one cop-induced false confession could have been headed off by asking for a lawyer. I get that people want to be helpful and it can be a tricky proposition. I just don't really trust cops, and have seen too many false confessions or cops hounding innocent people for years. Don't talk to them alone. Not ever. 

As for those mentioning reporters asking questions about unfolding crimes, isn't it kind of odd to be watching stories about rapes and murders if you think it's wrong to ask people about the effects of rapes and murders? 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 6
On 1/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Yes! I was living in Seattle in 1974 and had the general appearance of a lot of his victims (so did a lot of people in those days but it was still a scary time). I thought I’d read and seen all there was to see on Bundy but the Tapes held some surprises for me. I thought it was very well done. 

Some of my aunts in Pennsylvania were teens during that era and one time when one was showing me all of their high school pics, I told them they all had Ted Bundy hair. Long, straight & parted down the middle. 

• Love 8

See No Evil is back 2/20!  It’s my favorite of ID’s shows. 

Speaking of their shows:

Hey ID!  Can you maybe not start a new series every freaking week?  It seems like every time I watch something on ID, there is another promo for a new show. Seriously I have about 50 series recordings. Either the shows do 6-8 episodes and come back a year later or I guess they just end?  I remember one that left for 2 years and then came back, although I can’t recall the name. So annoying. I don’t have time to look up every one to either keep or delete. 

• Love 9
On 1/29/2019 at 10:01 PM, Jordan61 said:

Body Cam again: the last guy deserved to be tased just for how many times he said "dog" let alone for beating up his girlfriend and their baby.

I know!  Is this sort of language common now in certain areas?  If that was my son, he wouldn't be talking that way.  SO disrespectful.

• Love 3

On the latest Evil Lives Here:

Your son is mean and emotionally unstable. What better way to bond than to buy him guns? And then when you see that he's accumulated an ARSENAL of guns and ammo, you pat yourself on the back because he's finally interested in something.

I'm a gun owner myself but I will never understand these kinds of parents. I literally wanted to slap that father across the face. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

Your son is mean and emotionally unstable. What better way to bond than to buy him guns?

I don't watch that show usually, but was this the Sandy Hook killer?  I think that was his back story.

22 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I don't watch that show usually, but was this the Sandy Hook killer?  I think that was his back story.

No unfortunately, another killer. Quite a few years before Sandy Hook. In this one, the father was the one who bonded with the son over guns. In his defense, he didn't realize that his son was mentally ill though, I think he and his wife ignored way too many signs for way too long. With the Sandy Hook killer, the mother kept buying the guns and apparently also knew that he was mentally ill.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, geekgirl921 said:

No unfortunately, another killer. Quite a few years before Sandy Hook. In this one, the father was the one who bonded with the son over guns. In his defense, he didn't realize that his son was mentally ill though, I think he and his wife ignored way too many signs for way too long. With the Sandy Hook killer, the mother kept buying the guns and apparently also knew that he was mentally ill.

If that's the one that was in Seattle, the guy and his wife were divorced, and she would often back the kid, and interfere with anything he would try to do.  I also think the kid was a bit of a smooth talker, and the dad just believed what he wanted to hear.  The dad should have gotten a clue when the kid started being extremely paranoid about the government and started behaving extremely erratic.

• Love 9

I finally saw the defendant in a double homicide, who shows up in court spotting 2 teardrop tattoos.

Spoiler

This was a Forensic Files, Smoke in Your Eyes, or something like that.  
It's a murder I've seen on other shows, where two women's bodies are found in the apartment of some roommates who were out of town, and the coroner sees they were killed on separate days.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

On the latest Evil Lives Here:

Your son is mean and emotionally unstable. What better way to bond than to buy him guns? And then when you see that he's accumulated an ARSENAL of guns and ammo, you pat yourself on the back because he's finally interested in something.

I'm a gun owner myself but I will never understand these kinds of parents. I literally wanted to slap that father across the face. 

Oh, god, YES. I was biting my tongue hard during that part of the show. I'm not a gun owner, myself, but yeah. Very, very stupid no matter what one's views on that issue in general are. 

• Love 9

And the other one they show where it talks about someone being safe in their home, and a bunch of people are then singing Happy Birthday, but it sounds distorted.  Drives me nuts.

"Oh, my God! She's dead!" "This ain't happening ... this ain't happening ..." Yes, this commercial is on all the time.

• Love 7

So this Smiley Face Killer thing ... I'm not saying I don't think these people were murdered but it seems like a stretch to say "a network of serial killers" using this emoji.

I mean, these are happening in different states, so how do we think these people are coordinating?  Or are we saying there are copy cat killers in each state?  

Like this Boston kid - they're saying he had GHB in his system - and its believed that he already had it in his system when he left the Garden given the video of him stumbling.  But we don't see anyone anywhere near him,  and he walks off by himself.  So how would someone give him GHB and then somehow catch up to him blocks away without showing up on camera?  And if that's the case, wouldn't it have to be someone he was with?  Yet none of those people left with him ... 

"A network of serial killers"....?

• Love 5
7 hours ago, sskrill said:

So this Smiley Face Killer thing ... I'm not saying I don't think these people were murdered but it seems like a stretch to say "a network of serial killers" using this emoji.

I mean, these are happening in different states, so how do we think these people are coordinating?  Or are we saying there are copy cat killers in each state?  

Like this Boston kid - they're saying he had GHB in his system - and its believed that he already had it in his system when he left the Garden given the video of him stumbling.  But we don't see anyone anywhere near him,  and he walks off by himself.  So how would someone give him GHB and then somehow catch up to him blocks away without showing up on camera?  And if that's the case, wouldn't it have to be someone he was with?  Yet none of those people left with him ... 

"A network of serial killers"....?

I thought this myself.  If he already had GHB in his system, and he didn't take drugs, then how and when was the GHB given to him?  The investigators seemed to blow off the guy who was bothering him at the game  I think there are way too many holes in this story.  There was no mention of talking to the guys he was with at the Garden.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sammich said:

The investigators seemed to blow off the guy who was bothering him at the game  I think there are way too many holes in this story.  There was no mention of talking to the guys he was with at the Garden.  

I agree.  I thought the annoying guy might have slipped him the GHB as a prank or something.

Also, did the authorities ever find the passerby who gave Will the address of where he was?  Seems like that person might have been helpful to the investigation.

I don't think there is a network of serial killers.  Smiley faces are pretty common as graffiti.  But these deaths do seem to have unanswered questions.  There is a possibility that some of these men were victims of unrelated crimes.

• Love 6
On 1/21/2019 at 7:26 AM, TipseyGirl said:

Me! My God, I have watched a lot of true crime documentaries and seen a lot of crazy shit - but does this ever take the cake. I almost couldn't believe this was a true story. So much stupidity!! I want to punch them all in the mouth for being such idiots. That poor child.

I just watched this and my jaw is sore from hitting the ground so many times. The "funny/not funny" thing is that the first time I saw the dad I was thinking ... hmmm, that guy pings my gaydar. That was confirmed about halfway in. Probably why the pedophile knew the mom would be such an easy mark. But holy hell. How do people function when they're that stoopid.

• Love 3