Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Well said, Mannahatta. There are times when I have a lot of copmpassion for a killer. When I see a master manipulater bring in their own children or other impressinal pople who would never commit muder. I really feel badly for them.

I watched a show on ID( Murdertown) the other day where a young girl was killed and the police rushed to convict. It took about 2 weeks total. They went by the word of an eyewitness. I am bringing this up because it was sad, but also because her family never believed he was guilty becaause he knew little about the crime. Anyway, I like this new show.

I am rather impressed with some of the new shoes on ID are they stepping up their game? I hope so.

Edited by applecrisp
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, applecrisp said:

Well said, Mannahatta. There are times when I have a lot of copmpassion for a killer. When I see a master manipulater bring in their own children or other impressinal pople who would never commit muder. I really feel badly for them.

I watched a show on ID( Murdertown) the other day where a young girl was killed and the police rushed to convict. It took about 2 weeks total. They went by the word of an eyewitness. I am bringing this up because it was sad, but also because her family never believed he was guilty becaause he knew little about the crime. Anyway, I like this new show.

I am rather impressed with some of the new shoes on ID are they stepping up their game? I hope so.

I think they are trying to veer away from the overly salacious shows. God I hope so. If I were a relative I would be sick of the "we're they having several affairs? Is that why the we're brutally murdered" of course complete with lingerie reenactments. I for one would not watch those shows.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, badhaggis said:

I think they are trying to veer away from the overly salacious shows. God I hope so. If I were a relative I would be sick of the "we're they having several affairs? Is that why the we're brutally murdered" of course complete with lingerie reenactments. I for one would not watch those shows.

Seriously, I am happy to see the end of the lacy-bra heaving-bosom portion of these shows.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, applecrisp said:

Eyewitness testimony.....sounds great, but, so full of issues.  I put little stake in it.  Not unless, you know the person very well.  Even then, they might be wrong. 

Has anyone seen this one series on ID called Killer Unknown? 

Does anyone know what the policy is now on filing missing person reports?  It seems that in 2018, law enforcement should have a little more intelligence than to just tell people they have to wait for 48 hours to file one.  Haven't they learned anything in the last 15 years?  It seems that the shows we see on tv as recent as a couple of years ago and the police are STILL giving them this antiquated old policy.  Don't they consider abduction as real by now?  It's so frustrating.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone seen this one series on ID called Killer Unknown? 

I did, and after a frustrating 2 hours spent on 2 cases, NOTHING WAS SOLVED.  There is a part 3, I guess, but it is not listed in my tvguide. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I did, and after a frustrating 2 hours spent on 2 cases, NOTHING WAS SOLVED.  There is a part 3, I guess, but it is not listed in my tvguide. 

Part 3 airs Sat 12/1 and Part 4 airs Sat 12/8 - that's as far ahead as my guide shows.

• Love 2
On 11/23/2018 at 3:22 AM, hoosiermom said:

Well, the “Thanksgiving” stories they had on ID tonight were a crap fest of old stories renamed. Too bad when you can’t depend on ID to make your Thanksgiving better. SMH.

You're supposed to be thankful if a family member doesn't come in and massacre you before dinner.

• Love 15

Do you ever wonder how many undetected crimes might be uncovered, if cops reviewed the surveillance tapes of Walmarts, between say 1AM-5AM, and followed up on those who bought bleach, heavy duty trashbags, with priority to buyers of chainsaws?
(I love surveillance tape shows, and always watch See No Evil reruns.)

Edited by auntjess
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Do you ever wonder how many undetected crimes might be uncovered, if cops reviewed the surveillance tapes of Walmarts, between say 1AM-5AM, and followed up on those who bought bleach, heavy duty trashbags, with priority to buyers of chainsaws?
(I love surveillance tape shows, and always watch See No Evil reruns.)

A show on NBC called Superstore had that very topic.  The manager is trying to be more personal with their shoppers and comments on one man's cart contents containing...a tarp, duct tape,shovel and asked where the bleach was. Kind of a shout out to all the murder shows. He was later in the knife section making stabbing motions.

And this show is on at 7:00 pm. When I was a kid everything on TV was rated G. Anyhow a cute show.

Edited by applecrisp
spelling
  • Love 8

Yes, Body Cam was not only a disappointment, but a lot is expanded with different interviews of cases I recognize off of PD Cam on A&E.      The first aid, and lack of car infuriated me for that poor officer, and I really don't understand why they didn't toss him in the back of a cruiser, and charge out of there with covering fire.      For example, the officer with the glasses cam, that was shot multiple times by the man in camo, is going to be on, with an interview with the cousin who showed up at the scene.   

• Love 3

Did anyone watch Welcome to Murdertown last night? I was so annoyed with the police they expected the victim's family to find all the evidence for them. The victim's husband gave up his son and remarried soon after the fire that should have raised red flags.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Did anyone watch Welcome to Murdertown last night? I was so annoyed with the police they expected the victim's family to find all the evidence for them. The victim's husband gave up his son and remarried soon after the fire that should have raised red flags.

Right? I've seen stories on "Dateline" where somebody's spouse has been scrutinized for less after a murder.

I can understand them wanting to gather as much evidence as possible to make it easier to convict him, because we've seen plenty of stories where lack of evidence has hurt a case and let a guilty person squeak by. But at the very least they should've done more to reassure the family they'd keep tabs on the guy or something. And the fact that the first witness statement still wasn't enough for them to move forward is frustrating, too. Thank goodness that one sheriff finally got the case moving along and was able to get justice at long last. 

The son giving his victim statement and confronting his father in the courtroom was heartbreaking. I can't imagine...

• Love 6

I saw Snapped last weekend and the cops were suspicious of the widow after she moved a new guy into her home. I couldn't understand why this officer didn't react un the same way. I'm glad they caught him before he murdered his second wife.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I know!  I couldn't believe that jerk of a cop!  Do your job!

• Love 9
On 11/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know what the policy is now on filing missing person reports?  It seems that in 2018, law enforcement should have a little more intelligence than to just tell people they have to wait for 48 hours to file one.  Haven't they learned anything in the last 15 years?  It seems that the shows we see on tv as recent as a couple of years ago and the police are STILL giving them this antiquated old policy.  Don't they consider abduction as real by now?  It's so frustrating.  

Or "S/he's an adult, s/he can leave if s/he wants to."

• Love 8

That hasn't happened when I've watched the show, no. 

This week's episode was so incredibly sad and disturbing. That bit about the baby standing by the bed. Christ. Everything with the kids in general was just horrifying. There's a special place in hell awaiting that guy. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sskrill said:

Shattered - does the sound go out intentionally during the screens with captions??  Or is this only happening to me?

Do you have U-Verse? I've had that happen on a few channels but not all of them. 

No, Cox cable. At first I thought it was a cable issue but it only happens during the caption screens. But it never sounds like it's intentional.

This Cold Valley thing - why are they bending over backwards to say only "this person"?  I don't think I've seen a show where they protect a suspect like that.

Edited by sskrill
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, sskrill said:

No, Cox cable. At first I thought it was a cable issue but it only happens during the caption screens. But it never sounds like it's intentional.

This Cold Valley thing - why are they bending over backwards to say only "this person"?  I don't think I've seen a show where they protect a suspect like that.

I never had, either.  So I did some research last night.  They absolutely know who he is.  He owns most of the land in the area.  They do not have a DNA match so they can't arrest him yet. 

Spoiler

His name is Lance Voss. 

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, sskrill said:

I have Cox as well and this also happened to me.

I've seen these Cold Valley crimes on another show (I think Dark Minds) and they wouldn't name the POI on there either.  I assume it's due to legal issues.  But his name is available online if you go looking. 

edited: As Brattinella discovered.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Josette said:

I've seen these Cold Valley crimes on another show (I think Dark Minds) and they wouldn't name the POI on there either.  I assume it's due to legal issues.  But his name is available online if you go looking. 

I kept thinking I have seen this story but couldn't place it. Thanks for the info.

I was annoyed by the female detective with her never ending cliches.   She was also taking herself a little too seriously imo.  Yes. I am sure she would love to bring this guy to justice but stop pretending you are Bill Hagmaier.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I kinda wish you'd spoiler tagged that info, @Brattinella, since I avoid researching a crime story until after I've seen the show.  :-(

I AM sorry, @walnutqueen !  I will go back and try to do that for future readers!

Okay, I hid it.  I do think, however, due to their reluctance to say his name, that his name and face need to be shouted from the mountaintops.  Maybe they can get more info.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, sskrill said:

I have Cox also and it has happened to me on ID (no captions either) and other channels. It's very annoying!

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I AM sorry, @walnutqueen !  I will go back and try to do that for future readers!

Okay, I hid it.  I do think, however, due to their reluctance to say his name, that his name and face need to be shouted from the mountaintops.  Maybe they can get more info.

S'all good, @Brattinella.  We don't know what will be revealed about the suspect in future episodes; if they don't reveal his identity by the end of the mini-series (or whatever it is), then I agree we should use his name in vain as many times as possible!  ;-)

So far, I am enjoying this as an intriguing mystery, and am looking forward to seeing where they take it.

Spoiler

* I was actually thinking that his owning most of the land in the area was the spoilery part, rather than his name.

• Love 2

Ref. the sound issue:  we have Spectrum cable and it's gotten really bad about having the sound go out randomly.  The only fix is to switch to different channels, until it pops back in.  SO annoying.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  And, it's not a certain box, because it happens on all the tvs at different times! Trying to explain it to Spectrum and have them diagnose and fix it...........lol, right.  It'll never happen.  So, I endure and fantasize another cable option. lol

It's so odd to me that family members don't show up for a holiday celebration (Christmas or Thanksgiving) and the family just calls, leaves a message, "Sorry you missed dinner," and goes about their business, not even checking on them until 4-5 days later!  What family member is a no show for a major holiday celebration and doesn't even call?  Not even days later?  I think people must operate very differently that my family.  

• Love 5

I just watched the latest Murdertown episode, Out of the Ashes, and wow the sister is a saint and the original detectives were sh*ts.  The sister came to them with a suspicion (actually, several credible suspicions), and the detective wouldn't open a case until she got a witness.  So she gets a witness, but the detective outright dismisses the witness's credibility basically as randomly as saying, "Oh, this person lives on a street with an 'e' in it, so she's not reliable."  The detective says to get another witness, and the sister does, and again he's completely dismissive, basically like "But this person has brown eyes, so he's not reliable."  Thank goodness the new detective came in (and an FBI guy also, or something like that), and used his brain rather than his pre-conceived notions, and found that a key clue had been sitting there the whole time waiting to be re-discovered.  I'm totally disgusted at that original police force, and the sister is my hero.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's so odd to me that family members don't show up for a holiday celebration (Christmas or Thanksgiving) and the family just calls, leaves a message, "Sorry you missed dinner," and goes about their business, not even checking on them until 4-5 days later!  What family member is a no show for a major holiday celebration and doesn't even call?  Not even days later?  I think people must operate very differently that my family.  

From seeing more shows covering the same crime, and looking some up online, I've found that some shows just opt to focus on certain things, leave other important aspects out.
Good example was that awful murder of a poor young guy Courtney, and reading the news accounts, you see it was gang, and that wasn't mentioned at all in show.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I never had, either.  So I did some research last night.  They absolutely know who he is.  He owns most of the land in the area.  They do not have a DNA match so they can't arrest him yet. 

Reveal hidden contents

His name is Lance Voss. 

I was thinking last night that maybe he was someone well known or prominent, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Still seems odd - we've seen plenty of shows where they throw around names of people who are ultimately found to be innocent.  Although, nothing about this story leads me to believe he didn't do it.  I'm guessing there's a wide swath of carnage in this guys past.

Glad its not just me having trouble with the sound, but weird that its different providers....?

• Love 3
On 11/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, sskrill said:

Glad its not just me having trouble with the sound, but weird that its different providers....?

What's really weird is that I've been having that trouble as well and I have DirecTv.  I was thinking it was maybe a satellite thing, do cable companies also get their signals that way and just transmit them through a hard line?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Remember this case....the mom in pigtails.

It’s been solved, his remains found, and his wife and his best friend, who married his wife, arrested.  So happy for the mom.  She didn’t appear on the show.

https://people.com/crime/people-magazine-investigates-mike-williams-disappearance-efforts-mother-cheryl/ 

I remember this on Disappeared.  I remember at the time thinking it would not be solved. So much time had passed. 

And his mom worked so hard and was so desperate and even gave up rights to see her granddaughter because she continued to work on the case. Just so glad the "best friend" could not take it any longer and the wife may get life.  Happy it was solved. 

• Love 9

That Cold Valley case was fascinating - especially some of the "coincidences" that came up about the suspect in earlier years.  The mortuary break-in was particularly chilling; I wouldn't be surprised if he had also drowned the girl whose body he was trying to get at.  So now the FBI is looking into the cases - I hope they find something prosecutable.

• Love 4

So there is no definite resolution to “Cold Valley”? Also, is anyone watching “Dirty John”?  I have the first episodes on DVR but don’t want to waste my time with it if it’s no good. Oops, it’s on Bravo. Thought it was on ID so nevermind.

Edited by hoosiermom
Puncuation and senility.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

So there is no definite resolution to “Cold Valley”? Also, is anyone watching “Dirty John”?  I have the first episodes on DVR but don’t want to waste my time with it if it’s no good. Oops, it’s on Bravo. Thought it was on ID so nevermind.

No resolution, and my DVR isn't picking up any more episodes, so I guess it's up to the FBI to dig up more dirt on the "person of interest".  

I'm watching Dirty John on Bravo - it's pretty good so far.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

No resolution, and my DVR isn't picking up any more episodes, so I guess it's up to the FBI to dig up more dirt on the "person of interest".  

I'm watching Dirty John on Bravo - it's pretty good so far.

Thanks a million love of my life!

• Love 3

My cable was out, and I missed the first episode of Cold Valley. I thought I'd tape the second, and I figured they'd give enough info to know what's going on. I've grown tired of these cold case, multi-episode specials because nothing ever seems to  be resolved and there's always these ridiculous teasers that never pan out.

When the female LE officer was going on about the abandoned fridge before a commercial, I knew there was nothing in that damn fridge. And sure enough, when they came back, shades of Geraldo and Al Capone's vault. I bailed after that. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well, you won't because I don't fall for that shit anymore.

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

My cable was out, and I missed the first episode of Cold Valley. I thought I'd tape the second, and I figured they'd give enough info to know what's going on. I've grown tired of these cold case, multi-episode specials because nothing ever seems to  be resolved and there's always these ridiculous teasers that never pan out.

When the female LE officer was going on about the abandoned fridge before a commercial, I knew there was nothing in that damn fridge. And sure enough, when they came back, shades of Geraldo and Al Capone's vault. I bailed after that. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well, you won't because I don't fall for that shit anymore.

The old bait and switch.  I'm done with it too.  They did such a good job on the Louisiana one, though.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Razzberry said:

I'm really loving this creepy Cold Valley show. It's very well done, and I like the Detective Jackie.  I hadn't heard of these cases before.  So, I take it this guy, their #1 suspect, is still around?  Even when they play the tape of his interview back then his voice is disguised.

Cold Valley, episodes ! & 2 

I don'r mind cold cases or those without resolution, because that's how it goes sometimes in life.  I am hoping that some tiny bit of evidence is found, and that they nail him before he dies of old age.  I think there's a good chance this guy is a serial killer with all kinds of carnage in his past.  The unwillingness to name him on the show suggests he's either got some heavy legal backing, or that the authorities are already developing a case against him, and don't want the publicity to somehow corrupt it.  There's plenty of stuff about him on the internet, so I'm not sure why his identity is such a big secret.

That said, the ID teasers are a bit much, but I've grown used to ignoring them (I know all your tricks, ID!).

• Love 8