Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

One of the saddest story arcs ever. When applecrisp asked which shows haunted us I couldn't think of one but the Macumber case really sticks with a person.

And that "good clean finishing shot" guy.

ETA: And Russel Faria.

I have certainly become more careful because of my ID viewing habits. Not paranoid just more aware and alert of my surroundings. I think that's a good thing.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3

There was a program on 20/20 or one of those shows years ago titled "Fatal Desire" about a woman in Flint, Michigan (Sharee Miller) who convinced a man from Reno, Nevada she met online to kill her husband.  She's now serving life in prison.  Apparently the Judge & prosecutor just received a typewritten letter from her admitting her guilt for the first time. They believe the letter is authentic.  What a frickin' lying scumbag that woman is.  Anyhow, you can read it for yourself -- what do you think?  Is the letter real?  I'll bet it is.  My guess is she's hoping it'll help her get out of prison earlier.  NOT!

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/04/sharee_miller_admits_guilt_in.html

• Love 1

Where IS everyone?  I miss all of you!  I'm not crazy about all the changes to PTV, either, but we can't hide!  A few days ago Amazon forced me into an update on my Kindle that I didn't like, either, but I'm still reading my books. 

C'mon, everyone -- last week I saw TWO "new" shows on ID that were re-hashes of stories I'd seen on 20/20 (one of 'em was on House of Horrors...Kidnapped, a show I've liked except for the FUCKING PROMO'S THEY AIR 47 TIMES/DAY!!!). 

Okay...I didn't come on here to bitch because of the changes, but I'm wondering if this forum still works!  Anybody?!?  (....crickets....)   AKraven...Walnutqueen...Brattinella.....????  No snark from ANY of you guys?!?

• Love 4
(edited)

The other day while PTV was down, I saw a 20/20* episode(don't know how old)of a woman whole enlisted her father to help her kill her ex-husband so she wouldn't have to share their daughter, then after she was in jail, got her mother to arrange a hit on her former mother-in-law(who had custody of the baby).  That b***h crazy.

*On second thought, it may have been Dateline 

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Where IS everyone? 

I'm not a regular and so would not have been missed, but since you asked, I am still checking and rechecking my basement for signs of tunneling even though my house is freestanding. That episode of "Fear thy Neighbor" freaked me the hell out. 

(I like a lot of the changes) 

Edited by Darian
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Darian said:

I'm not a regular and so would not have been missed, but since you asked, I am still checking and rechecking my basement for signs of tunneling even though my house is freestanding. That episode of "Fear thy Neighbor" freaked me the hell out. 

Hi, Darian!  That episode of Fear Thy Neighbor freaked the hell outta me, too!  haha!  And welcome to PTV. 

• Love 2

The most recent Fear Thy Neighbor was interesting. The neighbor shot and killed an intruder and imo was perfectly justified. I even empathized with his growing paranoia until he went off the rails. 

This was actually the first time I can remember on ID where the victim was actually much more attractive than the actor playing her. Usually it's the opposite, which has been discussed here in hilarious fashion. Anyway, she was gorgeous.

I assume the changes on the forum have affected things, at least I know they have for me because I'm lazy as hell and can't be bothered to try to find out if there's new posts on my followed topics, but I've started getting notifications when there's new posts made to them, so here I am - lol

• Love 3

I almost watch too much ID to keep it all straight. I feel like posting, "I just watched some show with some guy who shot his wife in the woods." doesn't contribute much to the conversation. I rarely remember names and locations. Longtime near-lurker, though. I get a ton of enjoyment out of the posts here. 

Multiple activity streams are my new favorite PTV change. I'm making them for threads I want to check most often, things I want to pop into every few weeks, stuff like that. ID is in my default, so I think I'll actually be more active (saying things like, "That kid with the knife who killed his friend somewhere in the US was a psychopath." Ahem.)  

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Darian said:

I almost watch too much ID to keep it all straight. I feel like posting, "I just watched some show with some guy who shot his wife in the woods." doesn't contribute much to the conversation. I rarely remember names and locations. Longtime near-lurker, though. I get a ton of enjoyment out of the posts here. 

Multiple activity streams are my new favorite PTV change. I'm making them for threads I want to check most often, things I want to pop into every few weeks, stuff like that. ID is in my default, so I think I'll actually be more active (saying things like, "That kid with the knife who killed his friend somewhere in the US was a psychopath." Ahem.)  

Darian - I am the same way with all the crime shows I watch; I can never keep them straight, and trying to figure out whether to post here, in general True Crime, 20/20, 48 hours, Dateline, etc. is too much for my old brain to handle.  It's especially difficult posting the morning after watching several of these shows the night before.  :-)

I've been waiting for the kinks to be worked out before trying to get a handle on My Shows; multiple activity streams are way above my technophobe pay grade!

• Love 7
(edited)

Hi, Maizie dear!  I'm so sorry to be tardy; I just found this forum again TODAY!  I've really had troubles sorting  and this fershlugginer website is still being recalcitrant!  Hopefully, this post will add it to my favorites again.

I've seen quite a few ID shows since we last spoke, but they are all kind of a blur.  Thanks for missing me!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Hi, Maizie dear!  I'm so sorry to be tardy; I just found this forum again TODAY!  I've really had troubles sorting  and this fershlugginer website is still being recalcitrant!  Hopefully, this post will add it to my favorites again.

I've seen quite a few ID shows since we last spoke, but they are all kind of a blur.  Thanks for missing me!

Good to hear from ya, Brattinella!   Know what ya mean about seeing lotsa shows but they're a blur.  For me it also depends on how many rum & cokes I've had!  One too many & it's like I never even SAW the show, so when it's a repeat, it's new to me!  ha! 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, AKraven said:

Aw, damn it, I just learned that Peter Thomas, narrator of Forensic Files, has died.  He was one of my favorites.

Mine, too!  At least he lived to a ripe old age (as if that's any consolation) ...

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, hoosiermom said:

Has it ever been suggested that all those shows (48hours,Dateline,ID) be in one forum of true crime?

There was talk of it in Site Business right before the forum upgrades (still learning...) so it will probably happen eventually. 

But, imho, still difficult to keep things straight. Almost need to be sectioned by perps' names! So much overlap from show to show.

(checking to see if bbcode still works. no previews!) it works!

Nice to see everyone coming back. I've been rather frustrated and have been waiting for the dust to settle.

Edited by NewDigs
eta bbcode success.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, hoosiermom said:

Has it ever been suggested that all those shows (48hours,Dateline,ID) be in one forum of true crime?

No. Putting shows together makes things worse. Just the other day, TPTB had to uncouple the Real Housewives shows.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AKraven said:

Aw, damn it, I just learned that Peter Thomas, narrator of Forensic Files, has died.  He was one of my favorites.

Shit!  That is very sad news, indeed.  Thanks for letting us know, Akraven.  :( 

• Love 2

This new Murder U show has me wondering if my alma mater will be featured in two different episodes or combined into one (because the cases will be featured on there, no doubt). End of my freshman year, two girls were murdered. One was strangled in her dorm room by her stalker and another was shot by her ex-boyfriend in front of her apartment.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Automne said:

This new Murder U show has me wondering if my alma mater will be featured in two different episodes or combined into one (because the cases will be featured on there, no doubt). End of my freshman year, two girls were murdered. One was strangled in her dorm room by her stalker and another was shot by her ex-boyfriend in front of her apartment.

Upcoming episodes are about University of Maryland, Eastern Illinois University, and University of Florida: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/murder-u-id-true-campus-crime-series-debuts-april/

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AKraven said:

The recent episode of Fear Thy Neighbor (Burn, Neighbor, Burn)  should have been in the category of Evil Kin, or Unemployed, Crazy-Ass Uncle/Brother With Too Much Time On His Hands.  Yeah, sure, those people were neighbors, but really just a shit-load of relatives living in different houses on the same property.

AKraven - after watching the last 3 episodes, the last one being where the guy tunnelled between the 2 townhouses, I quickly deleted the "record this series" of that show from my DVR.  99% of those people are way too bat-shit crazy for me.  Your post confirmed I did the right thing - glad I missed it.  :) 

• Love 2

I deleted Fear Thy Neighbor off my DVR a while back.  It just makes me so stressed out and hits too close to home, no pun intended.  It's not like I could never be murdered by a serial killer, but the odds are a lot better that I could actually have some freakin' crazy neighbor who would make my life a living hell.

• Love 5

Okay, so I'm watching House of Horrors Kidnapped.  The victim, Wendy Morrison lives in Brighton Michigan.  This guy kidnaps her and tortures her for hours, but she got away and she survived.  What I am FURIOUS about is not  being able to find ANY information on the perp.  They showed a brief mugshot of him and his last name (I think) of Jarvi.  Does anyone know this info?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I deleted Fear Thy Neighbor off my DVR a while back.  It just makes me so stressed out and hits too close to home, no pun intended.  It's not like I could never be murdered by a serial killer, but the odds are a lot better that I could actually have some freakin' crazy neighbor who would make my life a living hell.

I agree.  i am always wary of new neighbors.  I still like the show and watch it.  I find it very compelling.  The stories are usually ones I have not heard.

• Love 4

I haven't been here for a while because I haven't had much access to the internet or cable. But now I have both and am glad to see this forum and ID again, even though I see nothing on ID has changed a bit. lol

• Love 4

The new Aphrodite crime story has been done before but it is one of my favorites. Worth a watch!

The sailing alibi?  I'd just seen it elsewhere last week, so I erased it.
    I'll only watch favorites, like the Canadian colonel, on all the different shows.
    I too am waiting for this forum to gel, before trying to figure things out.
    Hope they get it done soon.

•  

• Love 1
On 5/7/2016 at 7:55 PM, beckie said:

I haven't been here for a while because I haven't had much access to the internet or cable. But now I have both and am glad to see this forum and ID again, even though I see nothing on ID has changed a bit. lol

wq waves hi to Beckie.  Long time no see!  :-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Should we talk about Disappeared here also or only in that specified thread?

I'm unaware if Disappeared has its own thread, but if it does, yeah, please talk about that show in its forum. That said, many do not have a forum and as they air on ID, this would be the place to discuss these other programs. Hope this helps!

• Love 1
(edited)

I was soooo glad to see that I was getting my internet and cable back just as ID brought back Disappeared. Only bad thing is I work on Monday nights so by the time I get home, I only get to see the last half. Not sure I like the new format, but time will tell. As always appreciate that they still show the old ones, too.

* waves back to wq!

Edited by beckie
  • Love 1

I'm spoiled by my DVR, and hardly watch anything as it is airing.
The problem is to fit everying in for those times when more people are watching TV, or more shows air airing, but with ID, you usually get lots of chances.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think I had ID last year this time (it mysteriously jumped into my cable package one day, after years of being an extra).  Do they always do a run of psychotic, murdering, mentally disturbed mothers on Mother's Day?  Sure makes me glad my mom is just extra goofy, not criminally insane!

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 6
(edited)
On May 2, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Darian said:

I am watching this now..... Holy crap!!  NOT Leonardo DiCaprio is scary as shit.  

ETA:  here is a link to the real story.  Names were changed.

http://www.pitt.edu/~kloman/Anthony/news-murder.html 

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yes, the names were changed for the Fear Thy Neighbor episode "Tunnel of Hate." Ann Hoover of South Oakland, Pennsylvania, was murdered by Roy Kirk in 1997. And the "tunnel" was just a hole in the shared wall between the two row houses.

The case was featured in Autopsy 5: Dead Men Do Tell Tales (1998): 

Edited by editorgrrl
The video is creepy. It doesn't say whether it's a reenactment.
  • Love 4

I had never seen the story done on Fear thy Neighbor about the crazed cop that was portrayed last night. How sad that five people had to die.  Neighbors knew he was ticking time bomb and they ended up being sitting ducks. Plenty of warning signs with the guy but the fellow cops were of no help.  Does anybody think the daughter made up the story which set it all in motion?

I can't watch House of Horrors. I hate hostage type situations and then you've got torture thrown in on top of it. Makes me feel like climbing the walls. That promo is enough on its own to set me off. 

I too see Aphrodite is coming back. I like her but she always does stories that have been covered ad nauseum. 

• Love 7

editorgrrl - thanks for posting that video of Autopsy 5: Dead Men Do Tell Tales (1998) about the murder of Ann Hoover in PA (featured on Fear They Neighbor recently).  After watching that video on YouTube, I wound up watching about 5 more murders that I'd never heard of that were on same YouTube page as one you posted.  OMG - as Brattinella said above, these are NOT re-enactments, but show the actual murder victims & autopsies.  Jeezus!  Now why doesn't someone from I.D. channel watch some of these & do shows on them?  I realize some are from the 70s & 80s & many of the people covering the murder are now dead, but still...

• Love 5