Type keyword(s) to search

Tune!: Best TV Moments Involving Music

• Start Topic

The February 20th episode of SNL was jam packed with great musical moments, all of which involved gorgeous host Rege'-Jean Page, whether it was his singing "Unchained Melody" during the opening monologue, his cameo in the "Loco" video about going crazy in quarantine, the sea shanty songs with musical guest Bad Bunny (who's not too shabby, either), the gospel sing off or the grocery store rap.

But my personal favorite was the tribute to "Driver's License," the song by Disney+ star Olivia Rodrigo. Although I'd never even heard of that song nor the singer before the episode, that the sketch was just a bunch of guys singing the song, debating the meaning of the lyrics and the drama that inspired them was hilarious. That it happened on the singer's 18th birthday was even better.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5

Ashes to Ashes was a UK spinoff of Life on Mars that went for three seasons. I was meh on Life on Mars, but loved Ashes to Ashes and have rewatched it many times. I think it just arrived about a decade too early to get on the current 80s nostalgia train.

Anyway, my point here is that I believe the show, over its 3 seasons, had the best use of early 80s music, especially UK-centric 80s pop and new wave, of any show I've ever seen (up to and including the recent It's a Sin). Too many good moments to list. I ended up making a ridiculously long Spotify playlist of the whole show.

Naturally I can't find any good clips on YouTube, but the show was already niche (particularly in the US) and ended back in 2010.

Edited to add: Wikipedia has a track listing.

• Love 2

I feel the reverse, much preferring Life on Mars. The music is integral to both shows and it annoyed me tremendously to discover the LoM episodes on Britbox are missing dome key moments, like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" when Sam actually uses that phrase when walking away in episode 1.

• Love 4
On 2/28/2021 at 11:41 AM, ABay said:

I feel the reverse, much preferring Life on Mars. The music is integral to both shows and it annoyed me tremendously to discover the LoM episodes on Britbox are missing dome key moments, like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" when Sam actually uses that phrase when walking away in episode 1.

As a result of me making the previous post, I went looking for a LoM/AtA thread here, didn't find one, and also found out that there may be another Life on Mars series. So I made a new thread over here.

(I know I'm way in the minority of preferring AtA. 🙂)

• Love 1
On 2/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, ABay said:

My favourite music moment in Life on Mars is in the episode with the woman who runs the record shop (and is actually the mother of Sam's present day girlfriend), when she talks with such wonder about "Rocketman", and has Sam listen to it on headphones. It's the first time I really appreciated the beauty of that song and how amazing it must have been to hear music like that, in the drab Britain of the 1970s.

• Love 6

I had some issues with Gilmore Girls: A Year in Life, but the last episode was probably my favorite and I loved the wedding sequence, with the song Reflecting Light in the background:

There was also the La La music in the original series, which to me embodies the comforting atmosphere of the whole series. There is a compilation of various versions:

Just beautiful.

I also loved the way they incorporated so many Queen songs in Good Omens. I saw a comment somewhere that it is a proof that there is a Queen song for any possible situation in life and I had to agree with that.

• Love 8

I can't believe I forgot to mention this one: Heaven Is A Place On Earth from the Black Mirror episode San Junipero. It's the only episode of Black Mirror that I have seen, the premise of the show seemed much too dark for me. But I kept seeing this episode in lists of top LGBT+ moments, so I had to try it. I have now watched it twice and both times I teared up at the end, as this song started to play. I intend to watch it again some time and I'm sure I will cry again at the exact same moment.

I always loved Happy Endings (the sitcom) and Brad and Jane were my faves.  I am doing a re-watch and got to the episode where they are trying to become the alpha couple in their co-op.  The end credits are hilarious:

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

As a kid, i remember a Sesame Street News Flash where Kermit interviews Old King Cole, and discovers he no longer has three fiddlers, but rather a bass player, a drummer, and a saxophone player. They have a jam session with Kermit joining in the festivities. I actually danced around the room during that. I was 3 years old, so it would have been 1987-88

Edited by danderson400
  • Love 6

"She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals was played during a key scene(s) in Thirty Something, back in the late 80's or early 90's. I hadn't heard the song until that episode so whenever I hear it, I think of those actors and the storyline. 

• Love 5

I love Blackpool especially "Viva Las Vegas" and "These Boots Are Made for Walkin"...but not so much the two songs immediately above. The child annoyed me. Even more than the other one.

ETA: Also love "You Can Get It If You Really Want."

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

Bumping it up to show love to the use of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill," one of my favorite songs in "Stranger Things," one of my favorite shows. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but it was used in a very clever, suspenseful and ultimately emotional way. 

• Love 11

I don't know if anyone's posted this, but as a child of the 70s, there is no better music than that of Supernatural

From Bob Seger's 'Famous Final Scene' to start S15, to Queensryche's 'Silent Lucidity' when Sam had to kill his new lover, to Motorhead's 'God Was Never On Your Side' ending S14, to ACDC's 'Back in Black' aft Dean repaired Baby, Sam & Dean dinging Bon Jovi's 'Dead or Alive' when Dean's demon deal was abt to come to a head, and on & on...

And of course, 'Carry On My Wayward Son' - the best theme song ever (even tho I know it wasn't official).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/28/2022 at 1:39 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

That short commercial is the gift that keeps on giving.  All I can say is cocaine is a hell of drug.

I don’t remember that, but it’s fun trying to identify all the actors and/or shows.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

I don’t remember that, but it’s fun trying to identify all the actors and/or shows.

I feel very old, because I did recognize most of them. lol ABC had a great line up back in the day. 

• Love 3

I’ve been watching Zorro on Disney+ and there was one great musical moment where Diego is under house arrest and tries to distract Sergeant Garcia and his men with (what else) wine, and they wind up breaking in to this great drinking song:

Th

• Love 1