Type keyword(s) to search

Tune!: Best TV Moments Involving Music

• Start Topic

In tribute to the late, great Prince, here's the video of his epic 2007 Super Bowl halftime performance, including some behind the scenes scoop. Given all the potential problems involved, for it to not only have turned out as well as it did, it's considered to be one of the greatest halftime shows of all time, is a testament to the power of Prince:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

• Love 6

Pretty much anytime a show uses the Leonard Cohen song, 'Hallelujah' will cause me to tear up. But the first time I remembered it being used was in the West Wing episode, Posse Comitatus. Played during an emotional scene when CJ's favorite (and adorably played by Mark Harmon, before his years of playing Gibbs ruined that gorgeous smile) Secret Service Agent was shot and killed during a robbery. The Jeff Buckley vocals (always my favorite version of this song) serve as the perfect counterpoint to the drama of people reacting to the news - especially the great Allison Janney as she tries and fails to hold it together.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cxX-woxYZ84"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tried to embed but not sure if it'll work...if you click the link it will work, I think

Edited by granderobino
  • Love 1

I was just watching that on YouTube, DollEyes - I loved the it when the guy said they called Prince before the game to let him know it was raining, and Prince said "Can you make it rain harder?"

Pretty much anytime a show uses the Leonard Cohen song, 'Hallelujah' will cause me to tear up. But the first time I remembered it being used was in the West Wing episode, Posse Comitatus.

I love that song, granderobino, and I think TWW was the first time I'd heard it.  I'll say that I have heard Cohen do it, and if I'd heard that version first, it probably would have turned me off the song - Buckley's version is just perfect.

Edited by Moose135

Ricky Martin's performance of "Copa De Vida (Cup Of Life)" at the 1999 (I think?) Grammys is still one of the best I've seen

I remember watching that.  It was such a star making moment.  I remember Madonna accosting him backstage in the middle of an interview afterwards because he'd made such an impression in his performance.

Pink's Glitter in the Air Performance is one of the most memorable ones I can remember.

I think my favorite Grammy moment is when Aretha Franklin filled in for Pavorotti at the last minute.

Pink and Aretha, yes.  But you reminded me of another favorite, Luckylyn.

On Murphy Brown, Murphy, played by Candice Bergen, gets Aretha to agree to appear and sing on her show.  Murphy looooves Aretha, so this is very exciting for her. Except that Aretha doesn't like to fly, and has all kinds of transportation related delays.  Murphy stalls as much as she can, but Aretha doesn't arrive in time to do the show.  Murphy, heartbroken, sits alone in the darkened set at the grand piano she had brought onto the set, and in walks Miss Aretha.  She proceeds to sing "Natural Woman" for Murphy.  When Murphy tries to sing along on the verse, Aretha turns to her and says, archly, something like, "That's okay, baby, just let me."  (Because Murphy is pretty much tone deaf.) Aretha sings it beautifully, and then gets to the chorus and stops, then says to Murphy, "Go ahead, I know this is killing you."  And Murphy launches into a full voice, fan-joyful (quite off-key), "YOU MAKE ME FEEL!  YOU MAKE ME FEEL!" and they duet on the last line of the chorus.

I teared up and laughed out loud at the same time. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I was looking for something else on YouTube and found this WTFery from The Facts of Life. Best part: George Clooney lurking around in the background. Hard to believe he didn't win an Emmy for that.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 4

Patti Smith's "Land" and Millennium are insane together. Brilliant and terrifying use of music. I saw it when it aired and it still hasn't left me, and I didn't even watch Millennium all that much, either.

On a lighter note, the Jay Mohr-helmed "Action," although short-lived, had the perfect Warren Zevon theme song:

• Love 1

Rewatching Chuck, and I've got to second all the Chuck moments mentioned, and mention a few more, "Don't Look Back in Anger" in Chuck versus the Alma Mater (yeah it was a bit on the nose, but it was used perfectly), "The Twist" and "Keep Yourself Warm" by Frightened Rabbit in First Date (Fulcrum thanks you), and Fat Lady (the look of horror on Sarah and Casey's faces and them tearing out of Castle) respectively, "Got Nuffin"  (both times it was used)in Operation Awesome, "Daddy's Gone" in Dream Job, and "Bears" in Operation Awesome.

I'm just going to stop, because you could probably list every song the show used, I can't think of many shows that used music better.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Prince tribute at this year's BET Awards was epic, to say the least. The performances by Bilal, Maxwell, Stevie Wonder, Tori Kelly & Janelle Monae were awesome, but Jennifer Hudson's version of "Purple Rain" Shut. It. Down. Shiela E., Prince's ex-wife Mayte & Jerome Benton were the icing on the cake.  Erykah Badu sucked, but overall it was way more awesome than WTF Madonna did at the Billboard awards, as far as I'm concerned.

Not to be forgotten, "Freedom,"  Beyonce's opening number with Kendrick Lamar, was incredible in its own right.

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.
  • Love 5

Brain Dead - Laurel's brain has been invaded by alien bugs.  She has to stimulate the right side of her brain to fight the bugs from taking over her mind leading to a serenade and the most awkward love scene ever.

• Love 1
On 8/26/2016 at 5:21 AM, nosleepforme said:

I have not watched a single episode of the show (yet?), but I do enjoy the musical previously recaps at the beginning of every Braindead episode.

That being said, as for best TV Moments involving music, nothing can beat the Buffy musical.

I respectfully disagree re the latter, for at least three reasons: The Beatles' American TV debut, Prince at the Super Bowl and the epic "Lip-Sync For Your Live" between drag Queens Alyssa Edwards & Tatianna to Rihanna's "Shut Up & Drive" on RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars.

Edited by DollEyes

Once, while channel surfing, I happened to come across Nip/Tuck.  It was the season 2? finale and “All I Know” was playing while scenes of the two leads mixed in with a creepy person wearing a mask and carrying a knife was shown.  I found the whole sequence so mesmerizing, I not only stopped to watch it but decided to either watch the reruns or to give the show a look when it returned (can’t remember which).   Discovered I hated it, but damn, that finale using that song sliced with those scenes was so good, it almost sucked me in. 

• Love 3

Yes - Nip/Tuck was great, and that finale with the Carver attacking Christian was brilliantly done.

I think my favorite Grammy moment is when Aretha Franklin filled in for Pavorotti at the last minute.

Wow. I'd never seen that, thank you! That On Living Color sketch was also great :)

In that same spirit, a brilliant and hilarious video of Debra Skelton playing both Mariah and Whitney on MadTV, parodying that weird Prince of Egypt song...the lyrics here are a riot.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
On 6/29/2016 at 2:41 AM, Minneapple said:

From the Game of Thrones season finale -- the episode's opening in King's Landing, with some very haunting but beautiful music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJBTaAyEXE

I just rewatched this clip, and you're so right. I particularly love the use of the cello. Similarly, I also love the chase music used when Sansa and Theon are running away from Winterfell in the first episode of season 6 (the first 30 seconds): 

• Love 2
On October 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I was really moved and haunted by the use of David Grey's "Life in Slow Motion" when Abby gave birth on ER. Pretty momentous episodes those were...

I really loved the season finale before that when they used Snow Patrol's "Open You Eyes" over the chaos of the closing moments

As for comedic ones, SNL's Twin Bed from a few years ago is a new classic.  "And now it's a whole thing with Jean."  Not only is it funny, it's so damn catchy I find myself singing it out of context.

• Love 5
On 10/6/2016 at 8:03 PM, MissAlmond said:

Once, while channel surfing, I happened to come across Nip/Tuck.  It was the season 2? finale and “All I Know” was playing while scenes of the two leads mixed in with a creepy person wearing a mask and carrying a knife was shown.  I found the whole sequence so mesmerizing, I not only stopped to watch it but decided to either watch the reruns or to give the show a look when it returned (can’t remember which).   Discovered I hated it, but damn, that finale using that song sliced with those scenes was so good, it almost sucked me in. 

I always found the music on that show to be pitch perfect.

• Love 1

From Jim Henson's memorial service.  I read somewhere that this was one of Jim's favorite songs and it's perfect for the occasion as I also believe he didn't want a sad service.  I seek this video out every few months or so when I need a release.  By the time everyone starts joining in on stage I lose it.  Someone on YouTube replied  along the lines of "if this is your funeral, you lived life the right way."  Makes sense to me.

There's another video where the muppets realize that Jim is dead and pay tribute with the same song.  It's cute in its own right, and really well done with the innocent muppets (much like children) trying to cope with their realization, but I prefer the memorial service one.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 7
(edited)

As if SNL's musical parodies couldn't get any better than "Crucible Cast Party," along comes "Melaniade," which is a parody of Beyonce's "Lemonade," only this version features the women in Donald Trump's life, one of whom is played by Emily Blunt, the episode's host,  responding to Pussygate:

"Melaniade"

From the same episode, Bruno Mars' performance of "24 K Magic" was pure, funky goodness:

"24 K Magic"

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

I know I'm behind, but I finally got around to watching the final season of House (Season 7 was sooo bad, I gave up on the show), and I'm glad I did because not only was it a better season, and a great series ender, but it had a musician I'd never heard before:

The episode was "Chase" and he falls in love with a woman studying to be a nun, and she decides to continue her progress through the noviciate.  But the song was mesmerizing and I had to look up the musician.  Here he's playing live:

• Love 1

I fell down the rabbit hole last night watching opening numbers of awards shows online (it made sense at the time).  Amid all the Big!Production!Numbers! such as NPH opening the Tonys and Hugh Jackman at the Oscars, was my favorite:  Jimmy Fallon and the cast of Glee, with extras, opening the Emmys to Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run.  Okay, so random.  But it has all these great bits that they didn't explain because they knew if you watched TV, you'd get it.  Like "Rachel" from Glee being smug that Tina Fey couldn't sing or dance better than her.  Or Kate Gosselin, in DTWS outfit, begging to be included, saying "I'm a great dancer" and being rejected.  I can watch that one over and over.  I love it when celebrities unbend enough to make fun of themselves. 

• Love 4

I love that one too. I think my favourite inside joke is Joel McHale being really into the singing considering his character on Community hated Glee. It was just really well produced, everyone was enthusiastic and it was the right song and a perfect length. (Because some times openings can be too long.) Also, Cory is great in it and that makes me love it. 

• Love 2

Bumping it up to pay tribute to the late, great Mary Tyler Moore, who died yesterday. She was a true triple threat, as she proved so many times on The Dick Van Dyke Show. One of the best examples was in the "The Alan Brady Show Show Goes To Jail" episode, where the staff of The Alan Brady Show gives a special performance at a prison. One performance was "I've Got Your Number," a duet between MTM and Dick Van Dyke, which perfectly captures their talent and their chemistry:

I've Got Your Number

As great as MTM was on The Dick Van Dyke Show, she was even better on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. One of the best things about that show was the theme song, which is one of the greatest TV themes of all time:

Love Is All Around

Of course, no musical tribute to MTM would be complete without the final scene from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which featured "It's A Long Way To Tipperary," which is featured in this clip:

It's A Long Way To Tipperary

• Love 1

I'd like to mention the scoring for The Crown.

It was masterful - esp when King George VI died, and the scenes went back & forth between Sandrigam, Africa, Churchill, and the news stations around the world.

Bumping it up with a couple of songs from The Get Down, the prematurely canceled (IMO) Netflix series about the birth of hip-hop.  Of  course it's filled with great music, such as the rap battle between The Get Down Brothers & the Notorious 3. Since it's about the music, please pardon the the Spanish subtitles :

The Get Down Brothers Vs. The Notorious 3

The next one is "Set Me Free," by Mylene Cruz & the Soul Madonnas featuring the gospel choir of Pastor Ramon Cruz's  (aka Mylene's father's) church:

"Set Me Free"

• Love 1

I'd heard good things about the German TV Show Babylon Berlin which takes place between WWI and WWII so I decided to check it out while everyone else was watching The Superbowl. I wish I had started it so I'd be further in than 2 episodes. (I usually need to see more to fully get into the binge groove.)  But this musical sequence from the second episode definitely makes me want to see more.

• Love 1