Type keyword(s) to search

Tune!: Best TV Moments Involving Music

• Start Topic

There were many great things about the TV reboot of Jesus Christ Superstar,  but one of my favorites was Brandon Victor Dixon's stunning rendition of the title song, which was not only incredible, as far as I'm concerned he's the best Judas since the late, great Carl Anderson:

"Jesus Christ Superstar"

• Love 4

I say this as someone who only puts up with pilots as a necessary evil (every story has to start somewhere, right?) but the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel pilot is one of the best I've ever seen with the last 20 minutes or so being pure perfection.  The exclamation point being the use of Peggy Lee's Pass Me By during Midge's triumphant jaunt towards the end of the ep.

• Love 3

12 Monkeys was pretty great in its use of music throughout, but the first part of the series finale deserves special recognition.  Two of the main characters are sitting in a car, about to embark on what they believe could very well be a suicide mission. They decide they need some music, but have limited (and very bad) choices... and then "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing comes on, and they laugh and go with that.

Only 12 Monkeys could turn "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" into an awesome battle song...

• Love 3

Betty Gilpin's "Home on the Range" from Glow season two is pretty great. I've also liked the songs they have chosen for Liberty Belle and Zoya's big fights.

Also anytime Carrie Underwood sings a gospel hymn something special happens.  Especially "How Great Thou Art" from years ago and "Softly and Tenderly" from the last CMA awards. All the other Vegas tributes paled in comparison to that single simple performance.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

12 Monkeys was pretty great in its use of music throughout, but the first part of the series finale deserves special recognition.  Two of the main characters are sitting in a car, about to embark on what they believe could very well be a suicide mission. They decide they need some music, but have limited (and very bad) choices... and then "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing comes on, and they laugh and go with that.

Only 12 Monkeys could turn "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" into an awesome battle song...

The entire season has some awesome use of music.  I mean Jennifer singing “U + UR Hand” to Hitler was awesome.   

• Love 1
(edited)

Aretha Franklin had many iconic musical TV moments, whether it was her singing Nussum Dorma at the 1998 Grammys, her performance at 1998's Divas Live, her singing at President Obama's Inauguration or her 2015 performance of "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" in tribute to songwriter Carole King  at the Kennedy City Center Honors.

As if Ms.Franklin's strutting onto the stage  in a full-length mink coat like she owned the place wasn't awesome enough, she played the piano-until she stood up, finished the song, slaying every step of the way & dropped her mink on the floor, like the Queen she was. Only a true diva, in the best sense of the word, could get away with that.

RIP & "R-E-S-P-E-C-T," Ms. Franklin.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 12

Aretha's music was used in some pretty good sitcom moments too.  I remember the episode in Married With Children when Kelly got a waitressing job, they used "Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves" for a montage where she's trying (and failing) to do an adequate job:

And then reprises it at the end when she finally gets the hang of it to really show it for the power anthem it was:

• Love 2

One of my favorite moments from That 70s Show (context: Eric reads Donna's diary where he finds out she sometimes wishes he were a little edgier like Steven Tyler. He decides to get a tattoo and fantasizes how it'll change her perception of him)

I think Topher Grace is great in this scene lol

• Love 3

I read this thread over a few weeks, and so I now don’t remember if this was mentioned, but:  ER — Carter gets stabbed by the disturbed psych patient and collapses, realizing as he hits that ground that Lucy has already been stabbed nearly to death, all to the blaring sounds of “Battleflag” by Low Fidelity All-Stars.  That’s still kind of seared in my brain.

• Love 4

Unfortunately, the clip isn't available, but I can't hear Hot Blooded without picturing Les getting ready for his date with Jennifer on WKRP in Cincinnati.

Hal teaches Malcolm how to roller skate in Malcolm in the Middle:

On 7/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, kiddo82 said:

I say this as someone who only puts up with pilots as a necessary evil (every story has to start somewhere, right?) but the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel pilot is one of the best I've ever seen with the last 20 minutes or so being pure perfection.  The exclamation point being the use of Peggy Lee's Pass Me By during Midge's triumphant jaunt towards the end of the ep.

They use music beautifully on that show.

• Love 6
On 12/10/2018 at 8:16 PM, Luckylyn said:

Pose - Home

Truly one of the most beautiful scenes from Season One. 

Even better is the bittersweet tribute to Candy Ferocity to "I Never Knew Love Like This," the Stephanie Mills classic that's one of my all-time favorite songs. It was perfect on so many levels: Candy's look, her performance, her scores and her pallbearers. Candy finally got the 10s across the board in death that she never got in life and she deserved every last one of them. RIP, Ms. "Caaaaannnddyy.":

Never Knew Love Like This

• Love 4

In into the 3rd season of my umpty millionth rewatch of Leverage and I just finished 'The Scheherazade Job'  episode.  The music plays an integral part of this one.  The action part of the con/break in is wordless and is choreographed perfectly with the in-scene music.

But the part I just loved the most is during Hardison's solo (he plays the violin solo at the end the piece and the actor, Aldis Hodge,  was really playing --to a track -- but he was really playing)  the music moves the team so much that during their precision timed break in they can't help themselves but stop and listen to the music.  It is a really nice moment in the show.  And the tear on Parker's face just gets me every time.

• Love 8

I Think We're Alone Now, in the first episode of The Umbrella Academy. There's something poignant about a group of siblings who can still enjoy a song, but can't enjoy it together because of their personal issues:

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
On 8/9/2019 at 2:19 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Because I'm all hyped up for the Rocko's Modern Life Netflix movie, my all-time favorite episode was "Zanzibar" aka the spring cleaning musical episode.

Let's give credit to Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh in general. They wrote the songs for that episode and went on to create Phineas and Ferb, which is filled with great musical moments. Povenmire was also responsible for "The Campfire Song Song" from SpongeBob SquarePants and directed most of the musical numbers for Family Guy seasons 2-5.

• Love 3

Bumping it up to show love to musical icon David Byrne's amazing performance of "Once In A Lifetime" on the Leap year episode of SNL hosted by John Mulaney. It was so good I was barefooting with the rest of the band.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Bumping it up to show love to musical icon David Byrne's amazing performance of "Once In A Lifetime" on the Leap year episode of SNL hosted by John Mulaney. It was so good I was barefooting with the rest of the band.

Agreed. That was great.  Loved the entire thing:  the song (nostalgic), the band, the choreography, the arrangement - just the entire vibe. 

Fun fact for me— this song was the very first video I ever saw on MTV when we first got cable tv back in the day. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Thanks to the pandemic, both of my choruses have had to stop rehearsing (and I do hope we did so in time and don't have to go through what the Skagit Valley Chorale is dealing with https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak). Members have been sharing all sorts of things to keep each others' spirits up. Our conductor had made a comment weeks ago about the episode of The Carol Burnett Show where Carol played a music teacher (and boy, did I feel old when a bunch of our younger members had no idea what he was talking about!), so an alto shared this clip.

Carol is brilliant, of course (and almost cracks up). And the Jackson 6... so young!! Makes me sad, thinking about young, pre-pedophile Michael.  

Brings back memories...

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Love 9
On 3/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, praeceptrix said:

Thanks to the pandemic, both of my choruses have had to stop rehearsing (and I do hope we did so in time and don't have to go through what the Skagit Valley Chorale is dealing with https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak). Members have been sharing all sorts of things to keep each others' spirits up. Our conductor had made a comment weeks ago about the episode of The Carol Burnett Show where Carol played a music teacher (and boy, did I feel old when a bunch of our younger members had no idea what he was talking about!), so an alto shared this clip.

Carol is brilliant, of course (and almost cracks up). And the Jackson 6... so young!! Makes me sad, thinking about young, pre-pedophile Michael.  

Brings back memories...

Thank you so much - much needed sheer enjoyment and memories

(edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, praeceptrix said:

Brings back memories...

I was having problems understanding some of the dialog, so I checked the comments on this video. Did you know that there was an earthquake that happened during the filming?  On rewatch you can see MJ’s face and some of the regulars behind him react.  I’m impressed by how the Jacksons continue the scene and of course Carol’s quick wit.  Carol talks about it here. 

Edited by elle
  • Love 5

Any time Tom Ellis sings on Lucifer is a magical moment.  He’s got an incredible voice, and I don’t care if they force it (a song) in, I could listen to an entire show with him singing.

• Love 5

This is one of my all time fave songs but right off the bat I can think of two times 'Be My Baby'  (by the Ronettes with the then-unknown Cher contributing background vocal) made quite an impact on a show:

1.Moonlighting:  This was played while David and Maddie FINALLY made good use of all that sexual tension and practically destroyed her room. One could see Bruce Willis mouth 'I love you' when he and Miss Shepard did it but the drumbeats and orchestration seemed to perfectly follow all the banging around. If only the series had ended right then and there but it was still the perfect song for the series climactic moment (literally and figuratively).

2. St. Elsewhere: Dr. and Mrs. Mark Craig's comatose ,widowed daughter-in-law Yvonne was in danger of losing her life so the other docs induced labor and while it seemed the baby's heartbeat was erratic during the Caesarian, the Craigs' posthumous only grandchild Barbara was born healthy and it seemed that just as soon as her safety was ensured that's when the song reached its climax. 

Yes, I know that Phil Spector likely reaped huge royalties for these shows' usage (while his ex Ronnie Spector and Cher likely got nada) but it still was an excellent song and apt for these two very different scenarios. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

The Jimmy and Kim montage in Better Call Saul, set to Lola Marsh's cover of Something Stupid, is a thing of beauty.

Part 2 (it was just uploaded that way)

And in honor of Reichenbach day, Moriarty staging a theft of the Crown Jewels along to La Gazza Ladra - The Thieving Magpie - is one of my favorite sequences in any TV show, not just in Sherlock.

Hannibal made good use of this music too with Jack fighting Hannibal. It's also on youtube but I didn't know if it was too graphic to post (it has a bit of the old ultra-violence).

• Love 1

You know who has a fantastic playlist?  Lucifer  it’s introduced me - a 56 yr old - to some fantastic music I wouldn’t have heard otherwise, like ‘Unsteady’, My Love Will Never Die’, ‘Wonderwall’, and some older songs like ‘Luck Be A Lady’, ‘Eternal Flame’.  They need to do an iTunes album.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

You know who has a fantastic playlist?  Lucifer  it’s introduced me - a 56 yr old - to some fantastic music I wouldn’t have heard otherwise, like ‘Unsteady’, My Love Will Never Die’, ‘Wonderwall’, and some older songs like ‘Luck Be A Lady’, ‘Eternal Flame’.  They need to do an iTunes album.

Me too, I even downloaded a couple of songs - I don’t do that very often- I’m a 55 yr old.

• Love 2

I generally was not impressed with WestWorld Season 3 but really enjoyed when they played Brain Damage by Pink Floyd towards the end of the last episode. 

But I can't find a clip of it.  There is a trailer with it but not the scene its in

• Love 3

In honor of the late, great Chadwick Boseman, he did an interview with David Letterman to promote Get On Up, the James Brown biopic, after which Boseman did a gorgeous version of  Brown's "This Is A Man's World," which was as good as the the original, if not better.

Rest In Power, Chadwick.

• Love 8

Ted Lasso uses music extremely well.  The season finale dropped today and the use of 

Spoiler

You'll Never Walk Alone

during the aftermath of the main events of epsiode had me snot crying.  I snot cried throughout a good portion of the epsiode to be honest.

Spoiler

I'm not English, and I can't even say I know a mess of a lot about the Premiere League, but I'd guess You'll Never Walk Alone means even more to English football fans as it has become Liverpool's anthem and became somewhat of an anthem after the Hillsborough disaster.  It's emotional on its own right but it was the perfect choice for the season's climax on a few levels.

The Foo Fighters were on SNL last weekend and it reminded me of their performance on the last episode of David Letterman's Late Show. The song is great, the band's performance was great, but what makes it so memorable for me is the montage of images. I started watching Letterman when I was in high school and he started his short lived day show. For the next couple of decades I considered him appointment television. There are so many moments I remember as a college student and young adult that this is about as nostalgic as it gets.

• Love 7