Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Dysfunction Junction

• Start Topic

In an interview Kathryn did she said she got the fur coat at a consignment store, so it's probably really really really old.

I wonder if she got Thomas at the same store ......

• Love 15
Shep was a monster. Green is not his color, and I really don't get why he was so pissed. So Craig raised more money for his "date". It was for charity!! I'm sure Craig's not involved with the country singer just cos she paid $5000 to go out with him. Although I do wonder how Craig paid for said date, cos he never seemed to have money for anything else.

Yes, and I'm an unapologetic Shep-lover, but I do think it would have helped had he put on another outfit.  Last night's look wasn't his best. 

• Love 3

i also noted that the cameras stayed on whitney an unusually long time as t-rav and kathryn 'greeting' each other.

poor whitney, oh the pain, agony and fury written on his face.

so, the cameramen don't like whitney any more than viewers do.

although i snark on these characters (whitney, pat, and thomas) i do so love them.  they are a hoot and i'm deeply depressed that we will no longer be able see and snark

• Love 5

I don't think Shep was that serious in his jealous reaction toward Craig. It looked to me as if it was scripted and he was sort of laughing to himself and playing it up to play along. Although I can see that he might have really been annoyed when he was humiliated at his lack of bids and having to be saved by his gal pal. The thing that bothered me more than his attitude toward Craig was that he really made no effort to dress up and groom himself as a sign of respect toward the charity event itself. When he agreed to participate in the auction, then he should have taken it seriously and been polite enough to get a haircut (as he did to attend the fashion show) or at least comb his hair and wear something a little more dressy than that weird jacket. And to really take it down a notch, as someone wrote above, who would bid on him when most every woman in Charleston has had him for free a couple of times already? 

For what it's worth, I believe that the singer had decided she would bid on a guy as a donation to the charity and when Craig came up first and was attractive she just went with him. I've been to similar charity auctions and it's considered good form for someone with deep pockets to make a high bid on the first "item" -- whether it's a man or a cake! -- and set a high bar for the rest of the bidding. Probably Bravo was behind the $5,000 anyway, maybe the singer added the $1.00 'cause Craig was sorta cute. ;-)

This being the South, I wish they'd have auctioned off a dance with a handsome bachelor and had a woman bid "$500 in gold for Mr. Craig Conover!" and then everyone danced the Virginia Reel.

• Love 15

I don't for one second believe that that the whole Thomas/Kathryn scene at the end wasn't somewhat "scripted". Like "T Rav, you need to fight with Kathryn and walk away, and Kathryn, you should run after him." Possibly a cliffhanger, or to set up that they are truly not a couple, since they haven't been ever since this season started filming.

• Love 1
although i snark on these characters (whitney, pat, and thomas) i do so love them.  they are a hoot and i'm deeply depressed that we will no longer be able see and snark

I feel the same and hope the rumors that they are currently shooting Season 3 are true. I'd love for this show to come back in late summer or early fall.

Like "T Rav, you need to fight with Kathryn and walk away, and Kathryn, you should run after him."

Speaking of, what was that weird smile on Thomas's face at the very end, when Kathryn had run after him and he finally walked away from her? Was it supposed to show that he was thinking just how crazy she had become and he was walking away as the only sane one? Like, get away from me, nutcase! She really has no understanding of appropriateness, unless of course production encouraged her to dial it up to 11.

Poor Whitney sure seems to have been born without an embarrassment chip. First, he's the least attractive of all of them, has the most unfortunate of haircuts and is still in a boy band. Then, we meet his "girlfriend" who does everything but pull out an air sickness bag to show how repulsed she is at the thought of living with him. Next we have a very special episode of "the Beaver and Wally Go To Delaware" where the Whit is almost as old as the parents. And, last night when Whitney was watching Kathryn with Thomas, you could almost hear the soundtrack to "The Way We Where" playing in his head. Tough season for the Whit.

• Love 12

Yes, yes she is. If it can be said that there is a career to be had by marrying well, Patricia exemplifies that.

It's a riot that Pat considers herself so much above Kathryn!

• Love 5

I don't think Shep was that serious in his jealous reaction toward Craig. It looked to me as if it was scripted and he was sort of laughing to himself and playing it up to play along. Although I can see that he might have really been annoyed when he was humiliated at his lack of bids and having to be saved by his gal pal. The thing that bothered me more than his attitude toward Craig was that he really made no effort to dress up and groom himself as a sign of respect toward the charity event itself. When he agreed to participate in the auction, then he should have taken it seriously and been polite enough to get a haircut (as he did to attend the fashion show) or at least comb his hair and wear something a little more dressy than that weird jacket. And to really take it down a notch, as someone wrote above, who would bid on him when most every woman in Charleston has had him for free a couple of times already? 

For what it's worth, I believe that the singer had decided she would bid on a guy as a donation to the charity and when Craig came up first and was attractive she just went with him. I've been to similar charity auctions and it's considered good form for someone with deep pockets to make a high bid on the first "item" -- whether it's a man or a cake! -- and set a high bar for the rest of the bidding. Probably Bravo was behind the $5,000 anyway, maybe the singer added the $1.00 'cause Craig was sorta cute. ;-)

This being the South, I wish they'd have auctioned off a dance with a handsome bachelor and had a woman bid "$500 in gold for Mr. Craig Conover!" and then everyone danced the Virginia Reel.

Oh, now why didn't Patricia think of that??  That would have been great!!   ;-)

• Love 1

Thanks RedHawk for the info about Cameran being open with her husband about possibly not wanting a child.

I've never wanted kids, but alarm bells went off when she said her husband wanted kids "yesterday" and she didn't. You cover that *before* you get married!

So Thomas likes Kathryn's physicality and red hair, and Kathryn wants to be provided for, and the house and car that she was promised. Match made in hell.

• Love 1

Not surprised at the outcome of the date auction- you are bidding on the date itself- you don't even have to go with the person involved. Many guys were auctioned off- with many dates going for more than Craig's- it's all about the value of the date package, not the guy. Over 100k was raised by the auction and the event itself (obviously much more than just the dates were auctioned). After expenses (as usual) that's a sizeable donation to WWP. 

• Love 4
(edited)

As the finale went into overtime at one hour and fourteen minutes last night (why?)...my dvr also quit just 4 minutes before the ending (as someone else up thread also lamented). 

Last I saw, Craig had packed up his Charleston apartment, loaded his car, and phoned his mom to tell her he was coming home as he drove across the Ravenel Bridge (oh the metaphoric imagery! ).

Can anyone fill in as to what else happened in the last 4 min of the show? I don't think it's considered a spoiler as the show already aired.

BTW Bravo next re-airs the finale on Thursday morning, 5/28,  at 8am.

Edited by Bossa Nova

That was the last scene, Bossa Nova.

BTW, Shep is still going in hard on Craig on Twitter with no contrition whatsoever for his behavior at the auction:

"You spend 3 months filming with Craig and see what kinda break you need."

"Craig went home for a reason. And he's still there. He was riding a high horse. Don't know what else to say."

• Love 1

I don't for one second believe that that the whole Thomas/Kathryn scene at the end wasn't somewhat "scripted". Like "T Rav, you need to fight with Kathryn and walk away, and Kathryn, you should run after him." Possibly a cliffhanger, or to set up that they are truly not a couple, since they haven't been ever since this season started filming.

After watching Kathryn deal with conflict this season, I would guess that was unscripted. Because girlfriend is fucking nuts.

• Love 6

Many guys were auctioned off- with many dates going for more than Craig's- it's all about the value of the date package, not the guy.

That means many dates went for WAY more than Shep's. Haha! 

Thanks for the info on the actual event.

• Love 3

That means many dates went for WAY more than Shep's. Haha! 

Thanks for the info on the actual event.

That explains why he was so angry and took it out on Craig. He couldn't use the "he went first" excuse with all the other guys that were more in demand than he was, LOL.

• Love 4

That was the last scene, Bossa Nova.

Thanks Missy Jo. Wow, I was hoping for a wrap up of the other people too. Wonder why they ended it that way - with only Craig's storyline being finished. 

Kathryn is totally failing at her gold-digging!!! Girl, you need to hide your crazy until Thomas marries you!!

I don't get Shep and Cameran's relationship with Craig.  What did Craig do that so bad/obnoxious/life-ruining??  He didn’t take his bar exam for a year so he could participate in this show?  Ok, that may not be the most prudent decision but it’s not career-ending and it doesn’t affect them.  They kept saying they were coming from a place of love but I think they were just having fun belittling him.

The only thing I saw Craig do that could be life-ruining was say that he and Kathryn should have been together.  Hopefully, he see her cray-cray on this show and never follows through on that one!

I see nothing wrong with Cam not being ready for a baby. 

Landon’s mom seemed pretty nice and obviously cares about her a lot but I could also see a bit of what Landon was mentioning like her mom pushing her to open a real store or be more prepare for the bad weather, etc… she certainly doesn’t seem awful or anything but I can see how it’s possible that she’d be a pushy mom.

• Love 4
(edited)

Funny to me: Patricia saying "Whitney wants his band to play at the fundraiser..."  Whitney saying "Mother wants my band to play at the fundraiser...:

In addition to wanting to BE Thomas, I think Whitney is as addicted to the Thomas/Ravenel drama as they are.

Despite the incredibly choppy, unprofessional editing, I do think Shep's anger at Craig was real. Why does he care so much about what Craig does? Saying they are sick of taping together isn't enough of a justification for Shep's obnoxious behavior at multiple events. There's something about Craig that hits a nerve with Shep.

The Craig ship had sailed by the time Cameran and Shep were outside, flogging the tired "we care for Craig" storyline.

Kathryn will never, ever snag Thomas as long as she continues to make public scenes. That kind of behavior is abhorrent to old-fashioned southern men. (Yes, I know Thomas also behaves badly in public, but we're talkin' double standard here.)  He just shuts down when she goes to Crazy Town and gets that fake smile plastered on his face.

I have been a bit sympathetic to Landon's adjustment to divorce and a move. I know how the steel magnolia mamas can be rigid and unforgiving about social conventions and especially hard on daughters. But Landon's mother tried to meet her half way during their conversation, and Landon was reveling in her pity party and didn't hear it. Landon, it's time to put your angst away and move on.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts! A southern tradition. We stop every time we head to the beach and I sold many during school fundraisers. (Cameran's friend brought them to Cameran's house.)

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

I'm glad Craig went back to Delaware. I think it'll be better for him. I don't like him, but I've felt kind of bad for him the past couple episodes. Craig, these slobs (looking at you Shep) don't care about you, go back to to Delaware with some people who actually care about you while you figure your life out!

Yes, and I'm an unapologetic Shep-lover, but I do think it would have helped had he put on another outfit.  Last night's look wasn't his best. 

Yeah, that jacket sort of did look like something George Bush would wear... And he couldn't even bother to shave? 

I did hear Thomas say something like "No, get away from me!" when they had a far-away shot of them on the dock and she was grabbing for him.

He did! Mr. Wovenloaf is usually just in a state of resigned disgust when I watch this, but he actually laughed out loud when Thomas said that. 

• Love 2

Funny to me: Patricia saying "Whitney wants his band to play at the fundraiser..." Whitney saying "Mother wants my band to play at the fundraiser...:

I'm just re-watching that part. Whitney says, "Mom thought it was a great idea that I get together some rock star friends of mine." Then we see a band that's apparently not the infamous Renob. Later Thomas introduces them as the Southern Lords. I don't doubt that the band members are perhaps well-known session guys or at least accomplished musicians, but I wonder why Whitney put them together for a one-off gig rather than put Renob on stage? He probably knew Renob would have people leaving in droves.

• Love 1

Shep was awful BUT...I have to recall that this whole season Craig has been making digs at Shep on his THs. I recall Craig being VERY high on himself for being in the fashion show and also saying that he has a more symmetrical face than Shep with a shit-eating grin (personally I find Shep cuter and more attractive personality-wise). I think they have always been in deep competition for the ladies. Remember last season Craig had a "kindergarten crush (WTF)" on Kathryn but Shep is the one who hooked up with her. After that I'm sure Craig started cutting Shep down a lot and it snowballed into underlying hatred for each other.

Also, as I've said before, it's all about status in this group. When Craig was an up and coming attorney he reflected well on Shep and Cam (the doctor's wife). But lately he's been partying like crazy and even got fired for it, and then put off the bar exam. Their esteem for Craig went down the toilet and they couldn't hide their disgust with him.

Craig will be happier back in Delaware with his peeps. I bet (hope) he gets his act together.

Kathryn will remain a shameless strumpet. She'll be leaving Kensie with the p's and partying in Charleston, looking for another man with $$$$.

• Love 3

I think the storyline with Cameron not wanting to get pregnant right now is an interesting juxtaposition to Kathryn's storyline! I think it also makes for a good storyline for this particular shpw because a lot of women in "the south" are married and have kids by their late twenties/early thirties (I live further south than Charleston, so just speaking from experience amongst the people in my age group - I am the same age as Cameron)!

It seems like with her, it's more about not wanting get pregnant RIGHT NOW, as opposed to ever. And how about just wanted to enjoy married life for a little while before getting pregnant? 

But that being said, I have a feeling that the rumor about Cameron is true!

• Love 4

"Craig went home for a reason. And he's still there. He was riding a high horse. Don't know what else to say."

This seems like a cryptic message to me.  High and horse... maybe he has a problem with heroin??  It would explain the problems at work and the weight loss.

(edited)

Oh man, I sure hope that's not what Shep means.  Would someone in those circles really be doing heroin?  I don't know much about that drug, to be honest...or any drugs really, but I always thought it was more prominently used in lower income brackets, like meth.  I could see him doing cocaine, maybe, or prescription drug abuse, but heroin sounds serious like WOAH, and while he wasn't functioning at full capacity, he was at least functioning.   And even if that does end up being the case, it's still not an excuse for the way Shep reacted at the fundraiser.  There's no way to try to twist that reaction into "I was just mad that Craig was on drugs when he got a higher bid than me, because I care about him."

Hey, at least now we all know he can drive!

Edited by Irritable

Also, as I've said before, it's all about status in this group. When Craig was an up and coming attorney he reflected well on Shep and Cam (the doctor's wife). But lately he's been partying like crazy and even got fired for it, and then put off the bar exam. Their esteem for Craig went down the toilet and they couldn't hide their disgust with him.

I think this is probably true.  They say he was so obnoxious but they don't say or show how he was.  If he had a drug problem, that doesn't mean they are justified in nagging him or alluding to this problem.   If Craig comes back to Charleston, I think he should find some new friends. 

• Love 1

Oh man, I sure hope that's not what Shep means. Would someone in those circles really be doing heroin? I don't know much about that drug, to be honest...or any drugs really, but I always thought it was more prominently used in lower income brackets, like meth. I could see him doing cocaine, maybe, or prescription drug abuse, but heroin sounds serious like WOAH, and while he wasn't functioning at full capacity, he was at least functioning. And even if that does end up being the case, it's still not an excuse for the way Shep reacted at the fundraiser. There's no way to try to twist that reaction into "I was just mad that Craig was on drugs when he got a higher bid than me, because I care about him."

Hey, at least now we all know he can drive!

Actually, many people transition from an opioid pain killer addiction to heroin because their doctor refuses to write them scripts any longer. If Craig has a drug problem, cocaine is much more likely. I think what was happening with Craig is that he was doing the reality show star appearance circuit, which was why he was up at noon and was generally being a douche off camera. And that Shep and Cameran are snobs.

Thomas lit up when Kathryn walked in.  You could literally see his 'yearning' for her.  But as soon as they started talking you could see his renob going soft.

Well put and I totally agree about literally seeing him yearn for her. It's a shame that Patricia has such disdain for Kathryn because she could seriously school the strumpet on how to properly dig for gold.

• Love 2

Dear Whitney, he's just not that into you.

Poor Whitney does seem smitten, perhaps nursing a broken heart - my guess is there really is relationship history between him and Thomas. Who knows, maybe hooking up with Kathryn and producing a child was Thomas' way of keeping up the appearance of being straight. Just a possibility.

Re: obnoxious Shep. That's the thing about "charm." It's all on the surface and it hides ugly things. TRav is charming until he's not. Patricia is charming until she's not. Shep is charming until he's not. And Whitney never was.

• Love 11

Something about watching Thomas light up at Kathryn when she was cute and essentially quiet kind of disgusted me.  Kathryn's personality is very obvious, so if all it takes is a smile and a cute dress to be led by your penis I need you to grow up a little bit.

Kathryn has no idea how to talk to Thomas, but Thomas is such an old asshat, that I can't fathom how he's going about this the same as a 25 year old would.  How did he get to AARP status and still be so terrible at public discussions with a crazy girlfriend? You won't convince me Kathryn is his first.

• Love 2

Well... that was a lunchbag let-down. Way too much Kathryn on my screen. Whitney didn't fall off the stage. No little summaries at the end for each character. Craig left town (which we all knew already), FIN.

I think the whole Shep vs Craig auction drama thing was somewhat staged. Shep said "she fake bought you" - I don't think either of those bids were real. Cameran was no more writing a check for $1700 than that struggling musician was writing a check for five grand. I would love to know how much was actually raised at that event for the WWP, though. Good ole Patsy gets bonus points from me for highlighting that cause, as does her fabulous decorator for his ballroom joke. More decorating, dinners, cocktails, christenings and pole fishin' please. Less of whatever Kathryn thinks she's doing with that Jerry Springer nonsense. T-Rav's "raise the roof" commercial will be the least of Kensie's embarrassments.

My final tally:

Kensie>Cameran>Shep>Patsy>Landon>Craig>Thomas>Whitney>Kathryn

• Love 5

Craig has a car!

Question - will Craig have to go back to Charleston to take the Bar? Or does he just take it wherever he wants to practice law? 

I will miss him if there's another season and he doesnt come back :( 

And I'm sure Cameron has spent 2 summers babysitting these people and that's why she doesnt' want to have kids lol 

• Love 1

Kathryn is totally failing at her gold-digging!!! Girl, you need to hide your crazy until Thomas marries you!!

Amen to that! True for any woman anywhere that wants to get married to a difficult non committal man!!! Hate the game...

• Love 2
(edited)

Craig will come back to Charleston when the begin filming again. No sooner. 

Shep and Craig have a very competitive relationship, but I think they like that. They like the motivation and the fact that each is trying to one up the other in a way shows approval "I want to be like you." I think Craig being a model though was not the type of game Shep wanted to play, and Craig said so much, "Shep does not have the confidence to be a pretty boy" so Shep went to the opposite end and dressed/ looked sloppy. Of course, Craig won with his polished "pretty boy" look at the auction, and Shep's strategy to be sloppy and still get higher bids failed. So he's being a bit of a sore loser. As much as Shep complains that Craig was gloating, Shep was moping. They were both being huge drama kings about it. Craig is rubbing it in Shep's face though that women like him more, so I think that Craig might have really severed the relationship by playing a game that Shep can't win. I think that is why Shep wants Craig to be a lawyer so bad== he can relate to that. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 2

His home town in DE is a small vacation resort community?

No point in getting a license in DE if that is where he's staying.

Would think Charlestown has better prospects to join a law firm that pays well.

(edited)

1) I am NOT a Patricia fan. I think she's a stuck up old biddy. And does she do ANYthing for herself. I've never seen her lift a finger to do anything. Does she dress herself? Comb her own hair? Wipe her own ass? What does she need a servant for?

2) I do think Shep was embarrassed....and it's that embarrassment that fueled his jealousy/anger. It's not a good reaction for him, or anyone else...but for many it's their nature when they put them selves in a "comparison" situation.

3) Love J.D. And yes, the way J.D. delivered his advice to Thomas....vs. the tone of the conversations between Whitney and Thomas is telling.

4) Editing can be very deceptive. Just because we were shown what seem to be Whitney reaction shots while TRav and Kathryn were talking...does not mean that's what he was looking at ....at all. 

Edited by selhars
  • Love 5

It was an odd conclusion to the season.  Perhaps Craig won't be back and that's why we saw him packing up for Delaware?  Also, if Craig's had a car this whole time, why is he always bumming rides from people.  He didn't drive himself anywhere this season.

I could care less about Thomas and Kathryn, I actually liked Thomas being on the campaign trail most of the time.  I did like JD's words of advice, he's a real friend.  Whitney on the other hand...

The thing is with Whitney, he's a producer, surely he has final approval on the edit.  He knows that he's being painted as a villain and I don't think he minds.  I do enjoy he and Patricia's catty chats, it's nice to take a break from the Kathryn, Craig drama.

Poor Cam, not ready for baby.  Obviously, she and her husband have talked about it and Cam knows that the expectations would be that she would stay home and take care of it or them.  I like that she wants a career, I'm not sure how successful she can be in real estate when she doesn't have a "real" office.  Where do her clients sign the papers?  Why not just be independent if her firm won't give her office space?

Sure, Shep was jealous, but I also wonder if it wasn't a setup.  No one bid on Shep but Cam, but several women bid on Craig?  Makes no sense.

Lastly, there's no reason Craig needed to leave within two weeks.  He would've had a Bravo paycheck after all.

Also, if Craig's had a car this whole time, why is he always bumming rides from people.  He didn't drive himself anywhere this season.

We saw him drive it to his boss's house to get fired. Hehe!  I get the feeling that Shep's comment on the Jekyll Island bike ride about Craig telling lies such as "my car's in the shop" means that Craig was pretending his car was out of commission so others would give him rides. Maybe it was to save gas money, or to make sure he could drink as much as he wanted and not have to drive, although I feel sure he lives within walking distance of many of the downtown bars.

No one bid on Shep but Cam, but several women bid on Craig? 

Several women, and a man! Wasn't the original $5,000 bid from a man who was standing near the country music singer? Then she outbid him by $1 and won. There was something odd about that whole bidding process. I thought it was funny that the guy was bidding -- he had as much right to as any woman -- but the jump up to $5,000 and then how the auctioneer allowed the singer to win with only $1 more was just strange.

In a TH Craig said something about how for him and Shep the thing that mattered most was how women felt about them, so I think that's their big area of competition. Craig being 10 years younger than Shep, somewhat new to Charleston, and on track to be a lawyer, might make him a bit more interesting to the local ladies than old Shep whose been in the game for more than 10 years and probably is on his 3rd set of 21 to 28 year olds. Yes, he's rich and attractive, well-mannered and charming, and smart as well, but I'll bet he's got a rep as a playboy who gives you cab fare and not much more. Word is probably out that he's not a good marriage prospect. Guys like that can be so sweet one minute and so annoying the next, especially if you lose your heart to one (not that I'd know...). 

Craig may be similarly "easy" but he's also the same age as many of the girls he's going after and perhaps seems to be a possible "catch" in the marriage market. 

• Love 1

I like that she wants a career, I'm not sure how successful she can be in real estate when she doesn't have a "real" office.  Where do her clients sign the papers?  Why not just be independent if her firm won't give her office space?

Most realtors do not have office space. Only the super successful ones have office space because we have to pay for that space. We work as independent contractors and work from home.  When it comes time to signing papers, or meeting with clients, we go to our broker's office and use the conference rooms. All realtors work under the umbrella of a Broker unless you have a Brokers license yourself, so we do always have an office to go to if need be. At least that's how it works in Florida.  

• Love 1

Regarding Cameron, my mom is a real estate agent, and in order to get an office in the firm you have to be a top seller because there are more agents than office spaces. So many agents work at home but the firm has conference rooms for signing papers and official stuff. 

• Love 1