Type keyword(s) to search

Theories: What Is Going On?

I wonder just how far outside of the town they've ever actually explored? I assume the helicopter is their limit for distance travel so maybe the abbys aren't everywhere, or there are or "pockets" of survivors, or heck maybe even, assuming that the future explanation isn't a hoax, someone else bought into the doctor's ideas and started his own ark program.

Or maybe somebody else made the same predictions as Pilcher and were also able to freeze people?  There are instances in history of people making the same discovery without realizing it.  I am not sure how they'd be able to check, it just seems premature to call themselves the only remaining humans.  Maybe some humans evolved into abbies and others evolved into something else and they're all living in Africa or something.

Absolutely. So did the Chinese. There's a 300-mile stretch of an early part of the Great Wall of China that was built over 2,000 years ago still standing. How much of Picher's fence will still be standing and recognizable in another 2,000 years beyond 41st century Wayward Pines, in 6028? Probably not much. They don't make 'em like they used to!

Well, as Wayward Pines grows, I am sure they can update/rebuild the fence to make it last.  If they are successful, they'll have to expand the town anyway.  The "first generation" will have kids and they will have kids, etc.  And there's a lot more people to be unfrozen.  Eventually, they'll run out of room. They can try and use population control, but if the idea was to save the human race, they shouldn't want to keep population down.

(edited)

It's a fairly common thing for people in the woods to head out on what they think is a straight line only to end up back where they started.  So the main road could have a slight bend that brings it back around.  As for the delivery trucks, the non-food ones just have to go to the freight elevator to get supplies; both they and the food ones could have their own special road out of town (to the East instead of to the South, for instance).

As for expanding the town, there's a LOT of forest that could be converted into real estate.  Not like they're using it for farming.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

According to the map that Ethan got from Bill Evans' body, the road was a loop on the south side of WP, between WP and the fence..

Did it look like http://i.imgur.com/W626Dzz.png what Ethan saw when he was looking down on the town from Pilcher's mountaintop bunker? I don't have any screenshots of that map he got off Evans.

I did notice when they were walking around in the bunker they went past some doodads that had "WPOC" stenciled on them. Wayward Pines Operations Center?

We had links to Bill's map in an earlier thread, and I posted a composite https://i.imgur.com/IiQFEPc.jpg

If that view is from the bunker, then Bill pointed toward it where he wrote "Too steep". Maybe, the cliff looked a little different there (he obviously didn't see the bunker itself) and that's why he tried that route.

====================================================

If bunker people can come and go into town, I'm kind of surprised no one tried to follow them...

• Love 3

Because the entire North American road system should have long disintegrated in nearly 2000 years -- especially in the Northwest due to freezing/thawing cycles from the extremes in temps between summer and winter and overgrowth of the surrounding forests.  And with no road system, you can't exactly go off-roading in a delivery truck.

Then what did they use to build the town? They must have had vehicles and heavy construction equipment capable of navigating the terrain. Plus they have at least one shiny helicopter that looks brand new.

• Love 1
Then what did they use to build the town? They must have had vehicles and heavy construction equipment capable of navigating the terrain. Plus they have at least one shiny helicopter that looks brand new.

That is one of the big questions -- how would any vehicles, heavy construction equipment, and a helicopter have survived sitting idly in a bunker somewhere ?  They should have turned to dust long ago.

Pilcher invented the technology to freeze humans (and pets, evidently) but how would the rest of the technology, power source, food, supplies, etc. stored in the bunker have survived a 2000 year span ?  That's what surprised me when Pilcher's capsule opened -- the floors were relatively clean, there were no spiderwebs and the lights were all working.

• Love 2

Pilcher invented the technology to freeze humans (and pets, evidently) but how would the rest of the technology, power source, food, supplies, etc. stored in the bunker have survived a 2000 year span ?  That's what surprised me when Pilcher's capsule opened -- the floors were relatively clean, there were no spiderwebs and the lights were all working.

Maybe he also invented a device to prevent dust and spiderwebs? He could make a lot of money with that if not for the destruction of the human race and all.

• Love 2

They could have avoided all these questions if they had just set the thing in a much less distant future. Then instead of trying to suggest devolution of the entire human race, thay couldf have just used "virus" or something. We could just handwave the Abbies because, Zombies.

People handwave zombies all the time with entertainment. It's all the rest of the details that are so ridiculous.

And that says a lot.. when the zombies aren't the thing that requires the most suspension of disbelief!

• Love 4

That is one of the big questions -- how would any vehicles, heavy construction equipment, and a helicopter have survived sitting idly in a bunker somewhere ?  They should have turned to dust long ago.

I'm not sure I buy this. It's not 2 million years. There are violins that are hundreds of years old and still play perfectly, and they are a lot more fragile than those things . It's not like the helicopter, vehicles, etc. were left out in the elements.

I'm not sure I buy this. It's not 2 million years. There are violins that are hundreds of years old and still play perfectly, and they are a lot more fragile than those things . It's not like the helicopter, vehicles, etc. were left out in the elements.

Maybe not all turned to dust, but they certainly wouldn't be functional -- because any component made out of plastic or rubber would have broken down long ago, the engines would have all seized, wiring would have all corroded and none of the electronics would be intact.

• Love 4

Are we so sure that a billionaire couldn't have these parts substituted--for ten times, or a hundred times, the normal cost, say--with ones that would be able to last?  Or at least some 3-D printers that could last and then make the needed parts on the other side?

Are we so sure that a billionaire couldn't have these parts substituted--for ten times, or a hundred times, the normal cost, say--with ones that would be able to last?  Or at least some 3-D printers that could last and then make the needed parts on the other side?

Unless the parts were made out of stone, odds of them lasting completely intact after 2000 years are slim.  Moisture and oxygen are the biggest enemy in long term storage.

As for 3-D printing, they would have to develop 3-D printer technology, and the base materials to print items, to last 2000 years in storage.  I just don't see all that happening in 15-20 years leading up to 2014 when everything was ready and the bunkers were sealed up.

• Love 4
(edited)

There's a big difference between a few hundred years and a few thousand years. Also, the violin's moving parts probably have been replaced and the strings most certainly have. Mechanical items cease to function much faster. Just ask anyone whose car sat in the driveway for a few months. Its hard enough to keep cars in operating condition with regular maintenance. Even in a garage up on blocks, you have to run them occasionally or they won't work when you try to use them.

MAYBE you could have functioning mechanical things if you stored all the parts perfectly but separately and then assembled it when you were ready to use it. But even then, 2000 years is not particularly believable since the storage facility itself would contain mechanisms that would be decaying without routine maintenance.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 5

So what's beneath Plot 33? Some say a mass grave for Group A. Could be, but Pilcher asks Pam in Ep 6, "Is it happening again?", which makes it sound like his account of the Group A tragedy was maybe truthful. It happened without him being behind it and quickly spiraled out of control.

I'm starting to see a lot of parallels between WP and the 1934 holiday classic, Babes in Toyland (aka March of the Wooden Soldiers). We've got the abbies = bogeymen. Outside the fence = bogeyland. Under Plot 33 is the entrance to the secret tunnel that leads to bogeyland. Ben and Amy are Tom Thumb and Bo Peep. Ethan Burke is Stanley Dum and David Pilcher is Ollie Dee. Big Bill is Old King Cole. And Pam is Silas Barnaby.

Not a one-for-one match on all plot points, but the bogeymen and bogeyland similarity is striking. Maybe in the finale Theresa will be smacking pee wees into the butts of the marauding abbies with that metal stick she found in the shack this week.

• Love 1

I'm starting to see a lot of parallels between WP and the 1934 holiday classic, Babes in Toyland (aka March of the Wooden Soldiers). We've got the abbies = bogeymen. Outside the fence = bogeyland. Under Plot 33 is the entrance to the secret tunnel that leads to bogeyland.

In the exposition episode, Pilcher draws a parallel with Plato's Parable of the Cave.

So it would make sense that there is a tunnel out of the "cave" somewhere. (although haven't we already seen gates that open to the outside world so what would be the point?)

They do seem to be trying to tel the story of Plato's Cave. They just aren't doing it very well because of al the red herrings, hints, and dropped ideas. Logan's Run did it better. (Or maybe it just seemed that way to me because I had just studied Plato's Republic aroung the time LR came out)

• Love 2

My theory is:

The plot that's covered up is either :

1: is a lab where they conduct tests on the kids who don't believe and the families that where presumed dead in episode 6 but have actually he tests conducted on them making them into the Abbie's we have. I believe that over the years all the Dr has done is tested them and created these creatures. I wouldn't trust the Dr sister a drug addict.

2: it could be a hatch which if the kids done believe in that white room or the families who freak out get thrown in there and that hatch leads straight to the outside world where the Abbie's can come and kill you.

3: it's just a underground bunker

Wayward pines

My theory is the whole story about the world ending is true and the Doc has created some kind of time travel machine, which brings u from the real world into his world. The other world they lived in could be perfectly good and that he just wants his own world. Does anyone remember that women from episode 5? She was packing her shit and said he's leaving the town!? Where did she go? I think she used the hatch to go back to the real world. It also explains why none of the "volunteers" have freaked out about leaving there homes and family members.

Abbie's created by the doctor-

Time travel

That travel agent women leaving - packing her car where did she go?

"Volunteers" not freaking out.

That's my view and what that metal hatch is.

Could he have stored everything in a giant, moisture-proof vacuum?

• Love 1

There's a big difference between a few hundred years and a few thousand years. Also, the violin's moving parts probably have been replaced and the strings most certainly have. Mechanical items cease to function much faster. Just ask anyone whose car sat in the driveway for a few months. Its hard enough to keep cars in operating condition with regular maintenance. Even in a garage up on blocks, you have to run them occasionally or they won't work when you try to use them.

MAYBE you could have functioning mechanical things if you stored all the parts perfectly but separately and then assembled it when you were ready to use it. But even then, 2000 years is not particularly believable since the storage facility itself would contain mechanisms that would be decaying without routine maintenance.

Not to mention, keeping everything running. Most of the cars shown are different, which means completely different parts. Imagine all the tires and spare parts you would need to keep a fleet of different cars running for over a decade. And I mentioned in the other thread, I've spotted several 1970's era gas guzzlers in town. What kind of idiot would bring gas guzzlers to the future? Do they think this is Mad Max world or something?

• Love 4

Hey, it's always a possibility -- but you would have thought that Pilcher would have said something along those lines.  

Yep, Pilcher could have told Ethan in less than 20 seconds, "I invented vacuum technology that was able to preserve 21st century equipment and vehicles for two thousand years". But it was more important for him to spend time telling Ethan he had spoken to a surgeon in Boise who recommended they operate to relieve the pressure on his brain. There's a ton of small details the writers should have paid more attention to but didn't.

If you've ever listened to the podcasts done by Vince Gilligan for BrBa or BCS, he talks at length on what he and his writers do to make sure they put a quality show together. Wayward Pines does none of those things, especially when it comes to attention to detail.

• Love 3
(edited)

Not to mention, keeping everything running. Most of the cars shown are different, which means completely different parts. Imagine all the tires and spare parts you would need to keep a fleet of different cars running for over a decade.

That's a good point I didn't notice. They should have gotten a bunch of cars that were the same model and then stocked parts for them.

The one thing about those old 70's gas guzzlers though is that they were easier for non-pros to repair. They should have stocked up on old VW bugs. (not the re-issue but the orginals) Everyone I knew who had one knew how to make a bunch of repairs themselves. It must have been the easiest car to tweak ever made or something.

Either that or they should have gotten old army jeeps (and maybe some old army corporals to keep them in running condition).

Modern cars in 2014 just have way too many complicated systems and you need very specific replacement parts for every little thing. The 2 windshield wipers on my car aren't interchangable for pete's sake!

Of course, they're not as complicated as cryogenics and all that surveillance they didn't know they were going to need until after the big group A meltdown, but complicated all the same.

;)

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

They should have stocked up on old VW bugs. (not the re-issue but the orginals) Everyone I knew who had one knew how to make a bunch of repairs themselves. It must have been the easiest car to tweak ever made or something.

The original Beetle had the simplest motor and a fairly thin metal coat -- the latter could be cut, bent and otherwise molded fairly easily.  I think at one point it was more common to see a custom Bug than a stock one. This was my favorite modification:

volkswagen_beetle_rolls01.jpg

• Love 2

Ha! When I was 11 I had an uncle, not too mechanically inclined, who had an old Beetle that wouldn't start. I popped the trunk (engine was in the back) and jiggled some thingamajig that seemed like it was sticky and Vroom! it started right up. From that day on my uncle thought I was a genius. I wanted to tell him, "But Uncle Jimmy, any moron could have fixed that!", but it wouldn't have been cool for an 11 year-old to be telling his uncle that lol.

• Love 1

I haven't end this whole thread yet. So I don't know if this has been mentioned. But doesn't Kate wonder if it's a fake experiment how ethans son is still only a teenager? She has been there 12 years.

As far as being frozen. Even if they had enough money and space to hoarde all that technology. People. Vehicles. Food. Etc. They really had enough power for 2000 years? And what if there was a nuclear explosion and they were destroyed anyway.

As far as the kids go. Are they living with other couples paired up once there? It seems like most people are individuals and get paired up. Not really any families going together.

I haven't end this whole thread yet. So I don't know if this has been mentioned. But doesn't Kate wonder if it's a fake experiment how ethans son is still only a teenager? She has been there 12 years.

As far as being frozen. Even if they had enough money and space to hoarde all that technology. People. Vehicles. Food. Etc. They really had enough power for 2000 years? And what if there was a nuclear explosion and they were destroyed anyway.

As far as the kids go. Are they living with other couples paired up once there? It seems like most people are individuals and get paired up. Not really any families going together.

I thought the kids did come with their families. In that orientation, the teacher told them not to tell their parents anything. If the kids had just shown up in town alone, they wouldn't be talking about telling their parents. There are definitely adults coming alone though, even ones with kids back home.

I would like to know why no one questions the lack of internet/television and lack of news from the outside world. The whole town should have rebelled years ago.

• Love 2
(edited)
I thought the kids did come with their families. In that orientation, the teacher told them not to tell their parents anything. If the kids had just shown up in town alone, they wouldn't be talking about telling their parents. There are definitely adults coming alone though, even ones with kids back home.

However, that one cryo-capsule Ethan pointed out was of Amanda who was just a kid and her parents were not along for the 2000 year ride -- as Pilcher said, sacrifices had to be made.  There had to be more kids in that same scenario, and they would have had to be taken in by other couples.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

However, that one cryo-capsule Ethan pointed out was of Amanda who was just a kid and her parents were not along for the 2000 year ride -- as Pilcher said, sacrifices had to be made.  There had to be more kids in that same scenario, and they would have had to be taken in by other couples.

Yes, because two adults forced to live with each other are just dying for a surly teen to complete the family unit.  Guhhhh!

Maybe our good old friend Desmond is under that hatch. hehe poor Desie his storyline made me cry alot. Anyways i wonder if it is a secret spot to hide in case the abbies ever got in. 

I really get tired of of Pilcher's lectures every episode. It's like if you are so disgusted and annoyed with humanity why did you save all the adult people. He should have just frozen teenagers or small children and be done with it. Plus, for the last remaining vestiges of the human race, he should be teaching some survival skills. 

I really do believe that they are in the future. I just am really hoping that there is some sort of random group that has survived without help of Dr Pilcher, just to spite him. Be like bitch I survived without your precious little town. 

• Love 4
I really do believe that they are in the future. I just am really hoping that there is some sort of random group that has survived without help of Dr Pilcher, just to spite him. Be like bitch I survived without your precious little town. 

That would be the "good" abbies as opposed to the "bad" ones we've seen so far. They'll force the WP people to help them in their quest to wipe out the bads. "Your little experiment is over, Dr. Pilcher. The children will breed with us now."

Pilcher really is an idiot.  The Abbies have no squad tactics, no advanced weaponry, nothing.

Take about 20 or so villagers, train them in modern military tactics, and open the gate.  Use flame-throwers to force the Abbies to a predetermined spot, ring them in and mow them down.  Bang, done.

BTW, why was Ethan looking at surveillance cameras to find the rebels?  They all, have locator chips, right?  I bet the writers forgot about those, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope the series finale ends with Bob 2 waking up after https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JdS-sSKsBc#t=30s having this dream (stick with it to see Pilcher leading a study hall of the First Generation kids examining some abbies at the 3 minute mark). The truth about de-evolution! Then the final credits roll with Jocko Homo playing over them. This is the only satisfactory ending as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
(edited)

BTW, why was Ethan looking at surveillance cameras to find the rebels?  They all, have locator chips, right?  I bet the writers forgot about those, too.

No, the writers didn't forget about anything, you are simply mistaken in this instance. It is apparent that the resistance group very very likely removed their locator chips. If Ethan and someone as amateur as Beverley removed their locator chips ASAP, then someone intelligent like Kate would have insisted on everyone involved in her group remove theirs but keep it on their body somewhere..otherwise Pilcher would have quickly noticed their "meetings" and wouldn't have needed Ethan to identify the group members trying to lead a rebellion.

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 1

No, the writers didn't forget about anything, you are simply mistaken in this instance. It is apparent that the resistance group very very likely removed their locator chips

Nice ret-con.  There is no evidence whatsoever to support this theory (other than paving over a plot-hole), But that assumes that none of them has been called in for a physical by Nurse Pam, or that they haven't been subject to random scans by Pilcher.  

From the Betrayal thread:

I'm mainly enjoying the episodes. It's mindless summer viewing that keeps me intrigued for the majority of the time.

I guess I've been spoiled.  There are so many shows that wow me, that move me -- some are mindless fun, like Gotham or Sleepy Hollow (which might be back to Season 1 greatness in the fall) and iZombie, and some have such luminous characters (I cannot recommend Sens8 highly enough in this regard).  

You say others are bending over backwards, but I think you're not seeing major plot-holes.  YMMV

• Love 3
(edited)

Nice ret-con.  There is no evidence whatsoever to support this theory (other than paving over a plot-hole), But that assumes that none of them has been called in for a physical by Nurse Pam, or that they haven't been subject to random scans by Pilcher.

It seems you and I are personally going to disagree on almost everything that happens on the show which is cool mostly, gives things variety and keeps it interesting. You read half my post, but ignored the other half which is a bit irksome since I laid out my reason for why I believed they aren't still chipped in the back of the leg.

The half you chose not to respond to: If as you claim there is no evidence to support the theory that Kate and her group removed their chips but kept them on their person at all times, then doesn't it occur to you that..hmm, Pilcher would notice a group of people that have no real reason to communicate meeting up once a week in the same place (toy shop) for an extended period of time. It'd be suspicious as hell and they'd immediately be targets for interrogation and a raid.

Logic dictates that they removed their chips like Beverley did but still kept them to avoid detection. That's the way I interpreted all of that. 

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 2

It seems you and I are personally going to disagree on almost everything that happens on the show which is cool mostly, gives things variety and keeps it interesting. You read half my post, but ignored the other half which is a bit irksome since I laid out my reason for why I believed they aren't still chipped in the back of the leg.

It does look that way.  LOL 

I didn't ignore it -- I explained why I thought it was unlikely that they would be able to be "un-chipped" for an extended period of time.

You're asking me to believe that Pope never saw any of these people on the street going to and from the meetings when their chip said they were at home?  Neither Pope not Pam noticed the scar on their arm?  None of them had an x-ray?  The streets are all monitored -- Pope never saw them entering the toy shop?  None of them got a call at home while they were meeting?  Occam's Razor said they formed a "Wooden Duck Appreciation Club -- meets every Thursday at 9 PM"

Getting back to the original question -- Ethan wouldn't know that they had removed their chip, so he should have searched for them first.  When the chips showed they were at home, then he would go to the cameras.

You can say "la di da -- summer fare, I don't care!"  But to claim that there are no major plot-holes is to ignore our comments to the contrary.

• Love 2

I'm holding out hope that this story is more layered than they were frozen till the year 4000 and the abbies will eat you if you leave. Why?  Because M. Night Shammalammadingdong is known for his plot twists.  I realize this was a book so there are built-in constraints to the plot, but please there has got to be something more fun than being provided buffalo burgers in an after-thawed year 4000, and you the unfrozen are too fragile to be told the truth.  And you're bored by ice cream flavors.   

Losing my patience - I really hope tonite's ep brings something.

• Love 1

2 things:

The volunteered awoke in 4028 with absolutely no problem -- zilch.  No "OMG! I'm never going to see ____ again!!!!"  No mass suicide, nothing.  But the abducted are soooooooooooooo fragile that revealing the truth sends them into deep psychosis.  RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

What story is left to tell?  I guess the next three episodes is Ethan convincing enough people that it's 4028, but what then? Pilcher and Pam will get Reckoned for abducting the frozen and...  Either everyone is "Well, OK then" or we have another mass suicide, neither of which sounds all that fun.

We'll see soon enough.

• Love 1

What story is left to tell? I guess the next three episodes is Ethan convincing enough people that it's 4028, but what then? Pilcher and Pam will get Reckoned for abducting the frozen and... Either everyone is "Well, OK then" or we have another mass suicide, neither of which sounds all that fun.

We'll see soon enough.

Um, maybe the residents of Wayward Pines will invite the Abbies to the Beirgarten for a delicious buffalo burger and that will be the common ground to unite the two species. They realize they could have a perfect symbiotic relationship with the Abbies hunting buffalo with their bare claws and the humans cooking the burgers for them. They will have a Berlin Wall moment in which Wayward Pinesians and Abbies will work in harmony after Ethan's impassioned decree of "Dr. Pilcher, tear down that wall!" And the human and Abbie cultures will assimilate with ever-growing chains of Beirgarten Buffalo Burger Express restaurants dotting the former barren landscape. And then after a poignant scene of an Abbie in a little paper hat and apron handing a buffalo burger to an adorable human girl with pigtails, the child will cut the burger in half and share it with her little Abbie friend who will devour it--and the two children, Abbies and human, will giggle and hug. Then the camera pans to Pilcher who, with a single tear streaming down his cheek whispers, "I was wrong. Rather than fearing the mutation, I should have known that humanity--all of humanity, in whatever form we would become--shall forever be united by love...the love of Beirgarten Buffalo Burgers." The end.

• Love 8
(edited)

Almost certainly better than what they have planned!

her little Abbie friend who will devour it--and the two children,

Fixed that for you!  LOL

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2
(edited)

They will have a Berlin Wall moment in which Wayward Pinesians and Abbies will work in harmony after Ethan's impassioned decree of "Dr. Pilcher, tear down that wall!"

LOL. I agree with jhlipton, that would be better than what we're going to get.

And speaking of the Cold War, something like this would be interesting, check out this 2007 article from the Moscow-Pullman Daily News heh, "Nuclear-tipped missiles once filled silos near Boise". Ladies and gentlemen I give you Plot 33 in Wayward Pines. Those were actually deactivated a long time ago. The article also says "Backyard bomb shelters were considered both prudent and fashionable.  In North Boise, a community bomb shelter doubled as a teenage dance hall." Maybe there's a dance floor under that metal cover Theresa's going to pry open tonight.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 2
(edited)

2 things:

The volunteered awoke in 4028 with absolutely no problem -- zilch.  No "OMG! I'm never going to see ____ again!!!!"  No mass suicide, nothing.  But the abducted are soooooooooooooo fragile that revealing the truth sends them into deep psychosis.  RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

To be fair the volunteered knew what was gonna happen. It's probably a lot less jarring when you know that you'll wake up in 2000 years, instead of getting into a car crash and it just happening against your will.

Also in the most recent episode Pam asks one of them how their kid is doing, so it's likely that a husband and wife pair (or even whole families) might volunteer together and in that way at least they'd have each other, unlike most of the Waywardians.

Edited by Maximum Taco
(edited)

This show is such a mess. It's kind of like one person wrote the first five episode then left the show, and someone else stepped in and wrote the next five episodes without bothering to watch the first five, maybe just skimming the cliff notes.

That sums it up for me too, It felt off about it since the twist.

Edited by Free
  • Love 7