Type keyword(s) to search

The Books vs. The Show: Comparisons, Speculation, and Snark

Athena
  • Start Topic

Jaime mentioned to Claire about not wanting Alec to see his scars. Now is this paternal grandfather Alec Fraser, and was he talking about when he was first flogged and didn't want him to see the scars, or is there another Alec on Leoch that he was talkin' aboot?

That was Old Alec MacKenzie - Master of Horse.  His paternal grandfather was Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat (who was an actual real person).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fraser,_11th_Lord_Lovat

Jaime mentioned to Claire about not wanting Alec to see his scars. Now is this paternal grandfather Alec Fraser, and was he talking about when he was first flogged and didn't want him to see the scars, or is there another Alec on Leoch that he was talkin' aboot?

Alec, often referred to as Old Alec, is the master of horse at the stables.  He's the bald guy who was scolding Jamie last week for having a picnic with Claire instead of working.  Jamie does have an uncle named Alex Fraser who's the head of the monastery in France.  His paternal grandfather is Old Simon, also known as the Old Fox or the lord of Lovat.  I don't think he's come up yet on the show.

Edited by nodorothyparker

I really like the addition of the extra scenes with Frank and the way we keep getting glimpses of their life, but I'm curious about how non-book readers are going to feel about Jamie and Claire eventually getting together after they've seen this much more sympathetic view of Frank. Just after these three episodes it seems like people who haven't read the books are much more wary of Claire's interactions with Jamie. I wonder if they'll be able to accept Jamie and Claire together as much as it seems like the majority of book readers do. I mean, Frank's not a total cad in the book, but there are some definite points against him and we also just don't get to know him that much so it's easier to forget about him. I wonder if they'll use less flashforwardbacks after the wedding, or after Jamie takes Claire back to the stones, like to show that Frank's not on her mind as much anymore. As a book reader I'm obviously sold on the Jamie and Claire relationship already, and I'm enjoying seeing more of Frank, but I just really wonder how non-book readers will react...whether they'll ever be won over. Oh well, don't mind me, I'm just musing and procrastinating from my work...

• Love 4

I'm one, who can't wait for Jaime and Claire to get together. I barely remember Frank from the little reading I did.  That said, it's only been a week, I think, since Claire went through the stones, so it doesn't bother me that she's still thinking about Frank and wanting to get back to him. And based on next week's previews? Oh boy!

• Love 1
I really like the addition of the extra scenes with Frank and the way we keep getting glimpses of their life, but I'm curious about how non-book readers are going to feel about Jamie and Claire eventually getting together after they've seen this much more sympathetic view of Frank. Just after these three episodes it seems like people who haven't read the books are much more wary of Claire's interactions with Jamie.

It's a fair question.  My husband hasn't read the books and I made the mistake after much badgering of saying, yeah, she ends up with a husband in both time periods.  So now he's team Frank all the way and thinks Claire's looking for an excuse to commit ye olde adultery.  Just one perspective, but yeah.

That's at least part of why as much as I've enjoyed this more sympathetic Frank that I could at least understand why she would want to get back to (because quite honestly, book Frank just isn't that guy for me), I think they really need to start backing off her pining for him in the next episode or two before they get to the wedding.  One thing I did like about the book is how she would periodically catch herself realizing that she hadn't thought about him in awhile and was really very content with life with Jamie

• Love 1

In the book, they're behind a curtain in an alcove and only Claire sees them.  Here, they're in full sight of everyone in the kitchen area, which is just plain stupid given that he very recently took a beating for her because she was already getting that reputation.

I assumed that they were off in a side room like a pantry and only Claire can see, not in "full sight" of everyone, but yeah, it feels reckless.  Then again, it was reckless in the book.  Claire wandered upon them.  It could have been anyone who saw them.  In the book, Diane writes "While I hesitated, Jamie broke from the embrace and looked up.  His eyes met mine, and his face twitched from alarm to recognition.  With a raised eyebrow and a faintly ironic shrug, he settled the girl more firmly on his knee and bent to his work." It's next to impossible to convey all that complexity in a 5-second scene but I think they did a pretty good job of it.  Claire saw them, and Jamie saw her see them.  Mission accomplished. The motivation for the ankle-kicking scene was set.

I think they really need to start backing off her pining for him in the next episode or two before they get to the wedding.

I disagree.  She needs a legitimate reason to not want to marry Jamie because seriously, that's the kind of arranged marriage some of us fantasize about.  If she's going to be an unwilling bride, she still needs to be pining for Frank.  And of course if they are true to the book Jamie will ask about Frank very early in the getting-to-know-you chat they have before going to bed.  That will, of course, just reinforce how Jamie is practically perfect in every way and a "King of Men."  Seriously -- they need to keep beating the I-miss-Frank drum or when Claire expresses reluctance to marry Jamie the viewers will all be like "Bitch please. You know you want him."

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

See I had a very sympathetic view of Frank in book one.  I spent a good portion of that book hoping for her to find a way back to the stones and back to him.  So for me, the show is portraying Claire and Frank's relationship exactly as I saw it originally from reading.  Of course Jamie eventually won me over, but I really all along felt awful for Frank.  I think the two of them would have had a happy life together.  Of course, I didn't like him all that much in future books, but I think that things had changed for him, too.  The way he was with Bree showed the loving man he still was, but Claire pushed him away as much as him straying. 

• Love 9

See I had a very sympathetic view of Frank in book one.  I spent a good portion of that book hoping for her to find a way back to the stones and back to him.  So for me, the show is portraying Claire and Frank's relationship exactly as I saw it originally from reading.  Of course Jamie eventually won me over, but I really all along felt awful for Frank.  I think the two of them would have had a happy life together.  Of course, I didn't like him all that much in future books, but I think that things had changed for him, too.  The way he was with Bree showed the loving man he still was, but Claire pushed him away as much as him straying.

I agree with this. You have to feel for him knowing Claire was pining away for Jamie all that time. I would have divorced her but he was thinking of Briana. And to add insult to injury, Brianna seems to forget all about him very quickly too, getting all caught up in "The Dun Bonnet".

I find that I enjoy Frank more in the snippets of him we get in the middle and later books.  It obviously had to have been very hard for him to live with knowing that to his wife he would always finish a poor second to a ghost who was also his beloved child's biological father, but he made up his mind to take what he could get and prepare for the eventuality that one or both of them would learn the truth about what happened to Jamie and go back.  I like that you can't easily say he was right or wrong to handle information as he did.

• Love 6
I think they really need to start backing off her pining for him in the next episode or two before they get to the wedding.

We know that despite her, um, physical happiness with Jamie, she continues to pine for Frank and the 20th century--the fleeing to the stones that leads to the controversial beating is after Claire and Jamie are married. I think it's a good mix right now of settling into 18th century life and thinking about what (and who) she's missing.

• Love 3

I first read Outlander in 1991 or 92.  I remember thinking it was going to take for-ever for Dragonfly in Amber to arrive in a bookstore.  As I first read Outlander about two weeks before the release of Dragonfly, that now seems "cute."

Anyhow, one thing I liked very much about the first book was that at up until the wedding, I believed Claire really loved Frank and that Jamie was nothing more than a sympathetic friend.   Since it was told from Claire's POV, we weren't told of any steamy glances from the young man, as she didn't notice them.   I also liked Frank in the first book and felt sorry for him. 

• Love 5

Since it was told from Claire's POV, we weren't told of any steamy glances from the young man, as she didn't notice them.

That's a REALLY good point.  Since the whole book is told from Claire's POV you can actually presume that she may be a slightly unreliable narrator, to the extent that she genuinely doesn't understand Jamie's feelings until he makes them clear (long after the wedding.)  I guess that's a fundamental difference between the book and the TV show -- we can SEE those smoldering looks that she's (seemingly) oblivious to and also the way he looks at her when she's not paying attention (too busy being all CSI Highlands).

• Love 8

I like this point as well.  She acknowledges that he clearly likes her and is comfortable with her along with admitting to thinking he's very physically attractive, but she also describes him as being very young and thinks even at the point of the marriage that at best it's one of those flirtations that if you don't act on will quickly fade.  She never mentions the way he looks at her.  That doesn't mean it's not happening, but maybe that she's not picking up on it at least in part because she's still very much thinking of herself as a married woman.

• Love 2

I'm sorry but if Jaime smoldered at her in the books the way he has on TV and Claire didn't notice she is either: 1) Too young to think boys aren't yucky. 2) Blind. 3) Lesbian. Married or not she still has to look at him. I don't care if she was used to her patients falling in love with her so she just didn't notice.

I refuse to believe that book or TV Claire wouldn't notice the smoldering. I noticed the smoldering in the books and I was old enough to notice boys, but still young enough want to go out looking for my own Jaime because boy I wanted to be that princess stuck in the castle that he would come and rescue. And it wasn't even directed at me me. And the smoldering on the TV, well... Yeah. I'll be in my shallow end of the pool - it's so shallow it's dry.

• Love 3

Some people really aren't good at noticing those things.  Like, really really aren't.  It doesn't matter how 'obvious' it is to other people.  For instance, I literally cannot tell when someone is trying to flirt with me.  Are they flirting or just having a conversation I DON'T KNOW.  It's as embarrassing as it sounds.  Claire has a singular focus right now, and I don't blame her in the least for not picking up on Jamie's crush at first.  And even if she did pick up on, what's she gonna do?  She has no desire to give up Frank at this point, so she's not gonna give in to the sexy times (until she doesn't have a choice).  And Jamie is pretty much her only friend and confidant at this point so I don't see her wanting to shun his presence to avoid him.  Ignoring any smoldering she may or may not pick up on is pretty much her only choice right now. 

Moving on to a different point entirely, I'm about halfway through Voyager right now, and I have to say I really really hope one of the changes the TV show makes is to drop Claire's sudden and really gross obsession with not getting fat and OMG Bree make sure you don't get fat either.  As a fat woman, bleh.  I get it Gabaldon, you hate fat people, being fat is the worst, etc etc etc.  It's so random for Claire to suddenly in the 3rd book care so much about not getting fat.  I get that she's older and insecure about whether she's still desirable, but you can touch on those things without insinuating large parts of your readership are disgusting.  I actually got a letter from my mom when I moved out of state, very similar to the one Bree got from Claire (minus all the time travel stuff of course).  Only instead of ending "don't get fat" it ended "try to lose weight if you can" (cuz I'm already fat naturally).  It's not cute or funny.  I've been borderline body dysmorphic/eating disorder at various points of my life, and crap like this is what triggers it.  Does anyone happen to remember if Claire's sudden fat phobia continues?  It's not enough to make me want to stop reading, but if it's going to continue I'd like to be prepared for it so it doesn't actually trigger a relapse.

• Love 2

CatMack I'm sorry that part of Voyager has bothered you so much.  I honestly don't remember Claire being worried about getting fat (and I say that as a person who managed to time her own weight gain so as to attend both her 20th and 30th high school reunions at her highest weight ever).  I do recall her being worried about getting old and changing so much that Jamie won't recognize her or, worse yet, will recognize but won't want her any more.  I found those fears quite human and could identify with them.

At any rate, I've read all the books and the only mention I recall of Claire's weight in later books are Jamie's occasional concerns that she's getting too thin, especially when they are traveling with an army or fleeing someone (again).  God bless Jamie and his steadfast appreciation for her nice arse.

• Love 2

It's definitely in the letter, which made me think growing up with her must have been fun.  We're told Brianna is bigger and taller than most women, which she can't exactly help.  Claire's also less than complimentary about the woman sitting next to her on the plane to Boston when she's going back to basically get her affairs in order.  And then of course she can't help pointing out that Laoghaire has gotten rather stout.  It bugged a bit in reading, but I think it was more a part of her overall trying to convince herself that she was still really attractive and still would be to Jamie.  It did get a bit much at points that she seemed to constantly need to reassure herself that she doesn't look as old as the women of his time, but as a woman who's getting there herself I do get it.  She's also older than he is and while maybe that felt like it didn't matter when they were in their twenties, it matters to her now.

Some people really aren't good at noticing those things.  Like, really really aren't.  It doesn't matter how 'obvious' it is to other people.  For instance, I literally cannot tell when someone is trying to flirt with me.  Are they flirting or just having a conversation I DON'T KNOW.  It's as embarrassing as it sounds.  Claire has a singular focus right now, and I don't blame her in the least for not picking up on Jamie's crush at first.  And even if she did pick up on, what's she gonna do?  She has no desire to give up Frank at this point, so she's not gonna give in to the sexy times (until she doesn't have a choice).  And Jamie is pretty much her only friend and confidant at this point so I don't see her wanting to shun his presence to avoid him.  Ignoring any smoldering she may or may not pick up on is pretty much her only choice right now.

This is how I read it too.  At this point she has no intention of staying if she can help it.  She saw plenty of infatuations and attractions play themselves out during the war years and never indulged.  So while she may admit to herself having fleeting thoughts about it, this is just one more to her at this point and she's still a married woman.  After you've been married awhile, it can be amazing how good you can get at either not picking up on it at all or just ignoring it.

• Love 2

As a woman who has been overweight on and off for most of my adult life, I found nothing in these books to take offense at.  My parents, at one time or another, told me they were concerned about my weight, suggested diets, etc. etc.  I think that is normal for a parent to not want their child to be overweight. As far as Claire's concern about how she herself looked, she was going to hopefully meet the love of her life who she hasn't seen in 20 years.  Her concern about her weight, about her general appearance is perfectly understandable in my opinion. I personally don't see any signs that the author hates fat people, but of course that is just my opinion.

But, but, but...there was that almost kiss in the second episode? pilot?, so Claire has got to have some inkling that Jaime wants her/is attracted to her.

Forgive me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, BUT, in the book I seem to remember she was in his lap in that scene, and he had a physical 'reaction' that left little doubt that he was attracted, er aroused, by her.

Even in the show, after she pulls away from him, she gives a glance downward.

• Love 1

As far as Claire's concern about how she herself looked, she was going to hopefully meet the love of her life who she hasn't seen in 20 years.  Her concern about her weight, about her general appearance is perfectly understandable in my opinion. I personally don't see any signs that the author hates fat people, but of course that is just my opinion.

I agree with this.   I actually think that it's a very typical for a 20th century woman to worry about her weight and appearance.  It's an interesting juxtaposition because I've never felt like Claire's looks are what attracts Jamie.  Or at least that his view of what is attractive is different than hers.  I also wonder if given that they have been in many different places and situations, some of which have not always been bountiful in terms of food, if he feels any degree of pride at being able to provide for her well enough to fill out her 'bonny fat arse.'

• Love 1

When did Geillis go back in time? I seem to remember it being in the 1960's or 70's, so that the way she wears clothes, including her scarf seems to reflect that period -- burgeoning women's movement, feminism, free love, etc. -- more to me as opposed to Claire who traveled back in the 1940's.

Maybe I'm wrong and she went back earlier, but something about that "fact" has stuck in my head.

Edited by Nidratime

1968 to be exact (er, I think...it's only been a few days since I read that, but I'm not going to run and check right now).  That's how Bree finally is convinced Claire's telling the truth, beyond a shadow of a doubt - the go to stop Geillis going back in time in the 60s but only get there in time to see her go.

When did Geillis go back in time? I seem to remember it being in the 1960's or 70's, so that the way she wears clothes, including her scarf seems to reflect that period -- burgeoning women's movement, feminism, free love, etc. -- more to me as opposed to Claire who traveled back in the 1940's.

I think it was 1968, but definitely late 1960s. I'd check the exact year, but I'm too lazy to get up and look it up.

Maybe I'm wrong and she went back earlier, but something about that "fact" has stuck in my head.

I haven't gone back and looked but I think Geillis went back in 1967 or 1968. I know that she went no earlier than 1969 because Brianna was back in the US to watch the moon landing on TV.

Thank you. So, when Geillis and Claire first meet, Geillis is a little more advanced into modern mores than Claire. She's on top of the feminist movement that Claire has yet to experience.

Another question.... Does Claire tell Jamie that she was married to and Bree was raised by Black Jack Randall's future relative who looks just like Jack?! That should make his blood run cold.

• Love 1

So I entertained myself today at lunch by re-reading the wedding scene. I was laughing out loud (in a restaurant) through most of it. The image of Murtaugh having to act as wedding coordinator is just too funny. I won't go into now since I'm sure we'll talk it through at length when the show gets there. But the reason I re-read that scene today is the conversation we were having here earlier (and in the episode thread) about whether or not they'll keep banging the I-miss-Frank drum. I predict they will, if for no other reason than to give Tobias something to do in the episodes where there is no Black Jack. But I also think they are seeking to heighten the "torn-between-two-loves" aspect of the show, which they have featured heavily in the marketing. With that in mind I think I can predict a scene we are going to see. Do you all recall that the church where Jamie and Claire get married is the SAME ONE where Frank and Claire got married? Holy Dickensian coincidence Batman! (Okay, I guess it makes sense if you fanwank that they took their 2nd honeymoon in the same place they had their 1st one.) In the book you "hear" Claire's mental dismay and you hear her say "Oh no, not here. I can't" (or words to that effect). But you just know that in the show we are going to treated to a FlashForwardBack of the happy couple, Frank & Claire, running out of the church amid tossed flowers and rice. Frank is going to haunt that ceremony the same way Claire's fetch haunted Jamie's wedding to Laoghaire. Or at least, that's my prediction.

Does Claire tell Jamie that she was married to <snip> Black Jack Randall's future relative who looks just like Jack?

Yes, this is a major plot point in Book 2 when Claire tries to prevent Jamie from killing Black Jack so that he can father Frank's ancestor.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

But you just know that in the show we are going to treated to a FlashForwardBack of the happy couple, Frank & Claire, running out of the church amid tossed flowers and rice.  Frank is going to haunt that ceremony the same way Claire's fetch haunted Jamie's wedding to Laoghaire.  Or at least, that's my prediction. 

Ohhh, I think you're right. I hope you're right. That's too good of an image to pass up.

Yes, this is a major plot point in Book 2 when Claire tries to prevent Jamie from killing Black Jack so that he can father Frank's ancestor.

Thank you. I read these books so long ago, I can't remember some of the details, and I LOVED book two.

Plot point I love from the books: When Claire returns to modern times, she studies and become a doctor, better to make her even more useful to the past time period, I think.

And, it always tickled me that when Claire first goes back, she is not the most advanced person there. Geillis is. But she's only advanced in time, not necessarily in social interactions. They are definitely products of their time *at that time" -- Claire the 1940's; Geillis the late 1960's.

• Love 1

Does anyone know where I can find recaps of the books? Wikipedia has comprehensive detail for the first 2 but then the rest are sort of back of the book blurb like. I like the story line but found the books slow* so stopped reading halfway through the second one, but I really want to know what happens.

*Part of the problem, I think, is that I was reading them on an e-reader. I wonder if I will enjoy the writing more if I give them a shot while holding an actual book

*Part of the problem, I think, is that I was reading them on an e-reader. I wonder if I will enjoy the writing more if I give them a shot while holding an actual book

Just don't read the real books in bed if you tend to fall asleep while reading.  You'll risk giving yourself a black eye or a bloody nose.  The hardbacks are War & Peace size.

• Love 6

The Outlandish Companion has extended summaries of the first 4 books. There is lots of other neat stuff in there too. 

Diana responded to some reader questions in The Outlandish Companion, including the criticism she received about Claire's "don't get fat" advice to Bree.

I just started Drums of Autumn.  I know we already met Bree and Roger two books ago, but the first Bree centric chapter in this book has really made both of them real in a way they weren't for me before.  I mean, I'm barely into it and I can't stop grinning at those two adorable idiots.  I'm now even more excited to see them in season 2.  I wonder when we'll get casting news.  My impression is that part of the reason for the early season 2 renewal is so they can continue production pretty seamlessly, so theoretically as soon as they finish production of season 1, which they're getting close to I think, they'll start working on season 2. 

Just one small snark.  Although I love to hate Laoghaire (aka LegHair!), the girl they got to play her isn't really as pretty as I picture her to be in the first book.  She's attractive, but not overly so.

Aaaannnnd, now I feel shallow.

Edited by Kat From Jersey
  • Love 3

So TV Jamie is not going to be

left handed then: http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/pictures-outlander-stars-film-end-4122917 It's a pity because the effects of forcing a left-handed person to write right-handed are quite realistically portrayed in the books, but it would be the exact same crap having the actor learn to fight with the non-dominant hand. I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate the headaches, plus it could be dangerous for opponents in fight-scenes.

So TV Jamie is not going to be left handed then: http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/pictures-outlander-stars-film-end-4122917 It's a pity because the effects of forcing a left-handed person to write right-handed are quite realistically portrayed in the books, but it would be the exact same crap having the actor learn to fight with the non-dominant hand. I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate the headaches, plus it could be dangerous for opponents in fight-scenes.]

I unspoiled this since it's a book talk thread and not needed but that headache from having to do right-handed things intrigues me. Is that common? I ask because I myself am left-handed and have never in my life gotten a headache because I was forced to do something with my right hand. Not even when I broke a finger on my left hand and had to write with the other one for a month.

As a hopelessly left-handed person myself, I did enjoy that aspect of the books.  I imagine it's possible trying to force tasks with the wrong hand can be stressful and a struggle to the point of causing headaches.  A lot of how Jamie describes it matched stories I'd heard from older relatives about being punished or having hands tied down.

Still, book Jamie fights with both hands, thanks to Dougal.  I've been skimming the chapters about the gathering and then Dougal taking the group on the road thinking about what we might expect to see coming up, and there's a whole scene there where Jamie's showing off his swordplay for Claire and talking about how being a strictly left-handed swordsman would be a disadvantage so Dougal taught him to use both.  That explanation could have worked up to what happens to his hand at Wentworth, but I guess since they cast a right-handed actor they had to make a decision and go with it.

I think there's something just so sexy about those who are left-handed. I can't explain it. Maybe because I'm right-handed and always wanted to be a leftie.  If I may veer a bit off topic...

It's too bad that Sam isn't ambidextrous. I think that Jim Caviezel is. I know that he's left-handed, and for most of his weapon fighting, he tends to use his left hand, but also has used his right hand. Like he did for Count of Monte Cristo.  And there's this one Bollywood Actor, Amitabh Bachchan, who is my all time favorite, bestest evah, in terms of talent...he's 70 now, but I've always thought he was left handed. He would shoot a gun with his left hand, wield a knife, use a spoon, etc. However, when he wrote, he would use his right hand. 

Ha, that is exactly the description of my dad. He does everything left-handed except writing. Why? Nuns at catholic school who would wack his hand with a yardstick if he tried to write with it.

• Love 1

Ha, that is exactly the description of my dad. He does everything left-handed except writing. Why? Nuns at catholic school who would wack his hand with a yardstick if he tried to write with it.

Heh. For us, I think it was a Hindu/Muslim thing. Hindus write with the right hands, because Muslims wrote from right to left and we (Hindus) had to do the opposite! Though I don't know if Urdu is read from right to left or left to right. Or any of the Middle Eastern languages, actually.

Oh, and in fight scenes, Bachchan would always, always lead with the left and continue to favor his left hand/fist/arm, and even his leg. Go figure.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I really like the addition of the extra scenes with Frank and the way we keep getting glimpses of their life, but I'm curious about how non-book readers are going to feel about Jamie and Claire eventually getting together after they've seen this much more sympathetic view of Frank

** raises hand**

Not a book reader!! ( I don't mind being a little spoiled so that's why I am here!) but I am thinking that even if they have made Frank "more sympathetic" in the TV show it won't matter. Not much anyway. It has been pretty obvious from the very moment Claire and Jamie meet that something will happen between those two. Now how it all plays out is what I am interested in seeing.

Soon I think I will be saying ---Frank who?

• Love 3

** raises hand**

Not a book reader!! ( I don't mind being a little spoiled so that's why I am here!)..

Hey taanja. Welcome! A little spoiled is fine, but a word of caution. Perhaps you'd like to stick to the Book 1 topic for minor spoilage. Books vs Show includes details from all eight books which could affect future seasons. ;)

I just started Drums of Autumn.  I know we already met Bree and Roger two books ago, but the first Bree centric chapter in this book has really made both of them real in a way they weren't for me before.  I mean, I'm barely into it and I can't stop grinning at those two adorable idiots.

I loved that book for the same reason.  Bree and Roger were totally cute when they were courting. :)

As a hopelessly left-handed person myself, I did enjoy that aspect of the books.  I imagine it's possible trying to force tasks with the wrong hand can be stressful and a struggle to the point of causing headaches.  A lot of how Jamie describes it matched stories I'd heard from older relatives about being punished or having hands tied down.

I'm unfortunately an expert on this ;-) I'm left handed, but apparently the left hand is the 'hand of the devil', so my grandmother and teachers decided I was going to be right handed. My parents didn't notice until it was too late since I'm the only southpaw in the entire family.

I try to avoid hand writing as much as possible, otherwise I get really nice headaches, from a certain point onwards I have trouble actually holding the pen or break it in half when writing and I start to leave out the last syllable of longer words. No to mention that it looks appalling anyway ;-) I finished all my written 5-hour exams in school within 2 hours, otherwise I would have been screwed.

I read a few books on this when I was trying to decide if I was going to try and write left handed as an adult - I had been doing everything else  with the left anyway when no one was watching - and apparently I got off really easy thanks to my stubbornness. The only things to go were my ability to tell right from left and my fine motor skills. There can be some really nasty side-effects down to disabilities when it's done in a way that 'blows fuses' in the brain though.

Two good things about it though; my friends watch their kids really closely, so they don't accidentally teach them things with the non-dominant hand and one side effect that I do have is extremely associative thinking  which makes an ideal trouble shooter.

So yeah, I absolutely understand changing a character in order to not unnecessarily tire out the actor because it sucks.