Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E23: Brother's Keeper

• Start Topic

I couldn't believe Sam didn't call Cas and tell him to stop. The only excuse I can think of is he was too emotionally overwhelmed. Still extremely stupid though.  So I guess the darkness will be Sam's and Cas's fault and Death being dead (and whatever the fall out of that) is Dean's fault. Plenty of blame to go around.

Just a new version of each of the boys breaking a seal to start the Apocalypse. 

• Love 3

It's time, for the show to end, at least that is my feelings right now with such a crap final. 

So Demon Dean meant nothing.  Just when the mark could be interesting they do this.  GOD is gone and I guess Rowena is the big bad until she meets darkness. 

I kept hoping that Metraton was pretending to be Death but of course not.

The places they took Dean...I really hate Carver right now...not excited at all for next season and no I won't be worrying about it because in 3 eps it won't mean anything and will be the biggest waste we've ever seen.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Although Jensen and Jared did their best and there were a few good moments... the key word is few...I don't know if I'll be back.

• Love 4

I don't understand the point of having Dean become this complete dick. I mean all this time he's never called human women these awful names and certainly not a victim. Shit, even as demon!Dean I think he was speaking just as much about himself as Ann Marie when he called her a skank,

NONE of that writing of Dean made any fucking sense.  Well I guess it does if we take it that this "DARKNESS" which is the worst dark that ever darked, apparently was coming out ...but it's a fucking shitty set up that just makes Dean look so much worse than he has ever been. Ugh. But on the other hand, Sam redeemed himself for not looking for Dean and thinking his brother did more bad than good in s9, so there's that. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, I loved it. Too much time spent on Rowena's drama. But I still loved it.

Basically, I love Sam and Dean. I love them together. I love their brotherly angst when they get emotional about each other. So the scenes in the restaurant were amazing for me. Sam finally giving in, Dean telling him to shut his eyes. Rip my heart out, Supernatural.

I'm glad the boys ended the episode together too. Right next to each other. I know "The darkness" was coming right for them and that's probs bad, but whatever. They're together. And at least it looks like next season should start off right where this one ended. No time jumps, thankfully.

One weird thing I did catch. The picture Sam had of the two of them with Mary outside of their old house was first seen back in season 1 in Home. Back then that picture had John in it, right next to Mary. In this episode John is not in the picture. So weird. I wonder why they did that. I don't think JDM would have any issue with his face being in the picture.

Edited by kimrey
  • Love 9

I loved the scene with Dean and Death, until the idiotic plot twist of bringing Sam there because otherwise he'll somehow, someway figure out a way to build a rocket ship and bring Dean back from outer space - or something.  The whole thing was just dumb.  Death will one day reap God himself and yet doesn't believe he can sequester Dean away somewhere Sam can't get him?

I'm also tired, tired, tired of the Winchesters basically causing unimaginable death and mayhem and horror for a lot of innocent people because they can't bear to let one of the other Winchesters die.  The Darkness, something so powerful that God and an army of archangels was needed to lock up, whose key alone is able to corrupt and twist the Prince of Light (Lucifer), is loose upon the world.  Like Lillith and Lucifer and the 7 deadly sins, and who all else has been let loose over the years.  At this point, it doesn't feel like love.  It feels like monumental selfishness.

• Love 17
(edited)

First, I'm glad to see you're conscious catrox, I thought after Crowley killed all those people you'd be as face-planted as Dean was with all the shots.

I didn't get finished with what I had to do (garden with a bunch of weeds to be weeded and plants that had to be harvested) in time to get my drink to play my drinking game. Good thing or I'd be unconscious...

And oh look, Sam inadvertently started an apocalypse - again. Sam has the worst luck ever when he tries to do something helpful.

And Rowena got powerful and stole the book and escaped - who could have seen that coming? (Sarcasm) Le sigh. Good job again Sam.

Why was no one smart enough to think to send both Dean and Sam to purgatory? Sam couldn't do anything to try to get rid of the mark there, and Dean could hunt all the monsters he wanted.

Death has become so bloody stupid it was a foregone conclusion Dean would kill him here. Apparently that`s super-easy and has no consequences at all.

Maybe Dean having the mark allowed him to do it? I'm just not sure what the purpose was exactly. Did Dean panic, because Death said he would kill Sam if Dean didn't and Dean changed his mind? Couldn't they skedaddle out of there? I'm so confused.

I couldn't believe Sam didn't call Cas and tell him to stop. The only excuse I can think of is he was too emotionally overwhelmed. Still extremely stupid though.  So I guess the darkness will be Sam's and Cas's fault and Death being dead (and whatever the fall out of that) is Dean's fault. Plenty of blame to go around.

That would require Sam to be smart, and I think it's a rule of Carver's that Sam isn't allowed to have a working brain cell in his head when he's in one-track mind mode. All the better to start another apocalypse. And ironically when he finally decided he should sacrifice himself and stop potentially causing destruction... ironically he just sort of forgot to you know actually do it... so, yeah, I think I predicted the "oops" part pretty well.

Edited to add:

The Darkness, something so powerful that God and an army of archangels was needed to lock up, whose key alone is able to corrupt and twist the Prince of Light (Lucifer), is loose upon the world.

So wait a minute... Dean was a key? * Does that mean Dean = Dawn? Or was Sam Dawn, because Dean (Buffy) didn't kill him? Except Dean and/or Sam forgot to close the dimensional door and all the inter-dimensional monsters... uh I mean The Darkness got out.

* Dean should have said "But I don't wanna be a key!"

Just a new version of each of the boys breaking a seal to start the Apocalypse.

Except Sam also is also going to be the cause of an evil powerful Rowena running around with the Book of the Damned and the means to read it. And who knows what other spells she's going to do and the evil repercussions that will release... plus Sam also caused whatever Crowley has become, so Dean killing Death is likely going to be small potatoes in comparison. As per usual.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Can someone explain to me how Cas wouldn't have know about the Darkness?  I'm also not understanding how Rowena could actually hex an angel? Cas' grace didn't protect him from a witch? Are witches really more powerful than the King of Hell and an angel?

Ugh, this wasn't a finale. It was only a setup for s11. And I'm more irritated the more I think about it. And Jensen and Jared and Misha and Mark all deserved better than this weirdness

First, I'm glad to see you're conscious catrox, I thought after Crowley killed all those people you'd be as face-planted as Dean was with all the shots.

LOL I was pretty fucked up when Dean wrote "She's All Yours". I cried. Not gonna lie. And knowing that was Jensen's handwriting just made it worse.

And I was yelling "No, no no. Dean are you really going to lop Sam's head off". I mean I think intellectually I knew they wouldn't but that scene messed me up anyway.

Why was no one smart enough to think to send both Dean and Sam to purgatory? Sam couldn't do anything to try to get rid of the mark there, and Dean could hunt all the monsters he wanted

I thought for sure, when Death mentioned a place where he couldn't hurt anyone that Dean would have said' "Oh, you mean Purgatory"? But NOPE

I'm sort of feeling like The Prisoner would have been a better finale than this was.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3
(edited)

I loved the scene with Dean and Death, until the idiotic plot twist of bringing Sam there because otherwise he'll somehow, someway figure out a way to build a rocket ship and bring Dean back from outer space - or something.  The whole thing was just dumb.  Death will one day reap God himself and yet doesn't believe he can sequester Dean away somewhere Sam can't get him?

I'm also tired, tired, tired of the Winchesters basically causing unimaginable death and mayhem and horror for a lot of innocent people because they can't bear to let one of the other Winchesters die.  The Darkness, something so powerful that God and an army of archangels was needed to lock up, whose key alone is able to corrupt and twist the Prince of Light (Lucifer), is loose upon the world.  Like Lillith and Lucifer and the 7 deadly sins, and who all else has been let loose over the years.  At this point, it doesn't feel like love.  It feels like monumental selfishness.

I kind of want the plot of the series finale to be the only way to reverse all the stuff that's happened over the years is that Dean has to go back in time and not make the deal with the crossroads demon at the end of season 2. Hope that doesn't sound like I'm saying all the shit that has happened is all. Dean's. fault. or anything like that, I'm not. I just like going back to that very first moment where one of them reversed death. (Well, technically I know Mary was the first one but I don't think that would be as poignant.)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

I couldn't believe Sam didn't call Cas and tell him to stop. The only excuse I can think of is he was too emotionally overwhelmed.

If only they hadn't established earlier in the season that Castiel can sense longings. Like, Sam wouldn't have even needed to call. He'd just be like, "Man, I really long for Cas to stop Rowena!" and he'd know!

• Love 4

John could come back and reverse the damage by not making his deal for Dean's life. That would be poignant.

Oh right! I forgot he did that. That would be good too. and a nice redemptive moment for him. I hate how the show made John crappier and crappier as the seasons went on.

So just watched it, sorry decided to watch NXT live instead of this.  I don't regret watching NXT live instead of this.

Now I really don't want Donna and Jody to come back.  They killed Death, you freaking bastards.  They killed the most powerful being this show has had, and the one maintaining balance.

Death is dead and he was maintaining a balance, Rowena's more powerful than Crowley, and the darkness is brought back into the world.  For crying out loud how many times can Sam and Dean break the world?  They've done a better job than any villain.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

The main reason I was looking forward to the season finale was to watch Rowena die. Now Death is dead and Rowena continues to live.

I think I'm going to do my part to further the careers of Jensen and Jared and stop watching next season.

• Love 4

Well, the Mark has left Dean.  Doesn't really excuse all the deaths that he caused under the influence, does it?

And Super Smog has been unleashed on all the Earth.  And Castiel needs Clear Eyes bad.

Meh.  I'll tune in from time to time come season 11.

• Love 1

Well, the Mark has left Dean.  Doesn't really excuse all the deaths that he caused under the influence, does it?

And Super Smog has been unleashed on all the Earth.  And Castiel needs Clear Eyes bad.

Meh.  I'll tune in from time to time come season 11.

Well if Sam gets a pass for the Apocalypse and the people that died because of the earthquakes and what not, I think Dean should get a pass for this for being corrupted by the Mark.  This is really still all on Crowley and Metatron.

Gods..killing Death....I just don't get it. 

I feel bad for Rudy. I was really hoping we'd meet Rudy....oh well.

• Love 3

I will say this. Rewatching Dean's comments to the parents was heavily implying that she was abused in the home but the fucking judgment from Dean about the women "I was like" WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? I mean jeebus he never judged women that were hookers, or strippers, or whatever. I cannot fucking understand anything about Dean in the first part of the episode.

• Love 4

I also hate that the writers are corrupting the whole "The Ghost and The Darkness" story about the seriously creepy killer lions in Kenya in the late 1800's.  The Darkness story gives me honest to goodness heebie jeebies and now they're trying to usurp that with a black cloud.  I must protest!

The acting between Jared and Jensen in that bar scene was so good.  It's too bad the plot itself wasn't worth it.

(edited)

Considering Dean apparently had the darkest darkness in the universe inside him with the MOC keeping a lid on it, the Mark that turned Lucifer himself, an archangel, evil, I`d say he showed remarkably restraint. Rudy was a sad collateral damage of wrongly calling a bluff and the Styne kid was out there but other than that, I had no problem whatsoever with whom he killed.

Well, other than Death here who got a freaking Darwin Award for going out like a punk. Let me guess, this will be forgotten and have no consequences? Because technically, all the Reapers can still do their jobs, right? They don`t need a boss? I think this is how they are gonna play it. That Dean just killed the entity but not the concept of death in the world and people dying.

I know that doesn`t gel with stuff back in Death Takes a Holiday but it`s lol!canon!Carver.

That entire cantina scene was one of the stupidest in the series. They call out the stupid codepedency and then let it win after all. Sorry to say but even the performances couldn`t save this dreck. I may have hated every single line of dialoge in that scene because of the underlying stupidity and WTF-ness. 

And I`m still not over noone stopping the spell. Why was Death not giving a warning about the Mark before that? The Winchesters really ARE a curse on the world now. This is the how many-th apocalypse they`ve unleashed?   

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 2

Yeah, a little boring for a season finale but I still liked it overall.

I don't understand how Dean could actually "kill" Death.  I'll be surprised if Death is actually most sincerely dead. 

I'm looking forward to next season.  I don't care that much if they kinda do the same things over and over.  I'm sad when characters I like die but as long as Jensen Ackles stays on the show, I'm watching.  This whole season wasn't what I expected but it did give me back Sam.  The last couple seasons made me really hate Sam, so I'm grateful to have Sam who cares about Dean back.  I don't care how awful things are or how they might be bad now or evil or whatever - I love Dean and Sam and that's why I watch.

I hope Cas didn't kill Crowley though.  It would be nice to have bad Crowley back.  I'm glad Cas didn't die (as far as we know) too. 

It's been fun reading your posts - I hope to see you all again for Season 11.

• Love 6

At least the brothers are together!!

Maybe Death didn't really die? He crumpled up and turned to ash. I'd like to think his death would be more spectacular.

The Mark HAD to be removed else Dean would still be an asshole. I don't think Purgatory is where Death was going to take Dean.

Poor Rudy, we hardly knew ye. Somebody on that crew must really like tamales :p

Huh, all in all, not bad. Can't wait for October.

• Love 2

I don't understand how Dean could actually "kill" Death.  I'll be surprised if Death is actually most sincerely dead. 

Well, Death did give Dean his own scythe (big mistake) and back when they were trying to stop that other Apocalypse, Crowley gave Dean a scythe he said came from Death and that it was capable of killing Death. Or at least that was the rumor. 

• Love 3

I think his point is pretty much "this relationship is a horrible piece of shit and leads to terrible things but you annoying fangirls salivate over it so I`ll cater to you regardless of how much I hate it."

Sad things is, the show went to great lengths to show that the first part is now correct and Carver just looks like a mega-loser for the second part. If you hate it that much, write your damn story without being so cowardly. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Well, put me down as an annoying fangirl because I am all about their codependent relationship. Give me Sam and Dean crying over each other and doing anything and everything for each other and I'm happy. Or just give me that episode of the two of them sitting in a laundromat talking and playing cards that Jensen wants. I'd be all about that.

I'm also super excited for next season. I wonder if the boys will be crawling out of a flipped over impala.

Edited by kimrey
  • Love 4
(edited)

This show has becomes so very very stupid. All of it.

They couldn't even make Dean really bad and wreak actual havoc. Again. Instead, the mark makes him a sexist. Really, a lot of people must carry that mark.

And Sam caused another apocalypse. Great.

At least no one can die now since Death is dead. Of course, that doesn't count for the immortal who works in a diner.

They call out the stupid codepedency and then let it win after all.

Sounds like the end of season 8 to me.

Even the acting couldn't save that scene for me. Because it's so very believable that when you put Dean on a planet in another galaxy far far away, Sam will come and get him. My eyeballs hurt from all the rolling I had to do while watching.

The prehistoric "Darkness" that no one ever heard about? What is this, Mass Effect 3?

What makes them think they can pull off a bigger apocalypse this time?

This show is stupid.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 6

Give me Sam and Dean crying over each other and doing anything and everything for each other and I'm happy.

If this was Vampire Diaries where the protagonists only care about themselves and the show has always been that way, I can live with that. But this show hasn`t. It had protagonists that cared about other people. Now they only care about their fucking relationship when the chips are down. Even If I didn`t think their relationship is a black cloud of suck at this point, I would want more from them. Like, be heroes. That is about a trillion times more important than being brothers for me. 

• Love 6

The "Carry On Wayward Son" intro from "Fan Fiction" was the best and most pleasantly surprising development of the finale.

Jensen and Jared brought it in the acting department. And honestly, so did the woman who plays Rowena. Although I can't stand the sound of her voice, the actress did a wonderful job.

• Love 10
(edited)

At least Cain didn't become a sexist because of the mark. Seriously, what the hell were they doing?

I can't even begin to list all of the stupidity.

Now they only care about their fucking relationship when the chips are down.

Yeah, I was not a fan when Sam's survival was more important than closing the gates of hell (or letting Crowley live while Kevin got killed), regardless of whether they knew what that meant but my God, at this point, they look like complete assholes.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3

Sorry about the above, something is going wrong with the quote box, or with me.  I have not heard of Jensen wanting to do this Laundromat thing, the mention reminded me, delightfully, of  a movie called My Dinner with Andre in which two men sat in a restaurant the whole movie and talked.  Frasier did a wonderful takeoff on this idea called My Coffee With Niles.  Now I want to see My Laundry with Sam.  Who is writing the fic?

As for the show itself, that was really boring.  I almost never drink but fortified myself with a beer and ... that happened.  I liked Crowley saying he got the tip from a hamster and Cas's line about not having Crowley in his directory, however even that was dumb.  Both Winchesters have Boris in their phones.  Why wouldn't Cas?

As much of a letdown this was, and after last week I was cringing just thinking of tonight, that was certainly anticlimactic.  Jared said something like don't hate him for what he does to Dean in the finale.  He must have been just messing with us, for I didn't see anything that he did to Dean at all.  Could he have meant that little love tap to Dean's nose?

Sorry about the above, something is going wrong with the quote box, or with me.  I have not heard of Jensen wanting to do this Laundromat thing, the mention reminded me, delightfully, of  a movie called My Dinner with Andre in which two men sat in a restaurant the whole movie and talked.  Frasier did a wonderful takeoff on this idea called My Coffee With Niles.  Now I want to see My Laundry with Sam.  Who is writing the fic?

As for the show itself, that was really boring.  I almost never drink but fortified myself with a beer and ... that happened.  I liked Crowley saying he got the tip from a hamster and Cas's line about not having Crowley in his directory, however even that was dumb.  Both Winchesters have Boris in their phones.  Why wouldn't Cas?

As much of a letdown this was, and after last week I was cringing just thinking of tonight, that was certainly anticlimactic.  Jared said something like don't hate him for what he does to Dean in the finale.  He must have been just messing with us, for I didn't see anything that he did to Dean at all.  Could he have meant that little love tap to Dean's nose?

LOL I was pretty fucked up when Dean wrote "She's All Yours". I cried. Not gonna lie. And knowing that was Jensen's handwriting just made it worse.

Yep, I'll admit to crying too.  Annoying storyline aside, those boys are good at making my cold, black heart feel things.  And kudos to the makeup people because Dean/Jensen looked wrecked in the beginning.  I thought maybe JA had stayed up all night drinking just to look that red-eyed and miserable.

Other than that I thought it was a pretty meh finale--not the worst but not the best.  When the Darkness popped up I was more worried about the Impala than I was for humanity.  I don't think that's what the writers intended.  Still, I'll be around next season--I'll be around till the bitter end.

• Love 3

Thank God for kimrey! Mick and I loved this episode, but the whiskey could have had some influence on this.

So the brothers are back again! And I refuse to believe that Death is truly dead. That's my take and I'm sticking with it. Of course, thanks to catrox14, we're both a bit drunk. But that's fine, we love all you guys anyway. I know you'll all be back next year, and so will we. Half the fun of watching this show is checking in to see what you all think.

Thanks guys. You've saved us from pining for TWoP too much, and made this all fun again!

• Love 6

dammit I lost my post.  I was trying to comment on My Dinner with Andre, the movie which featured two men sitting in a restaurant having a conversation over dinner.  That was the whole movie.  It was fascinating.  Frasier did  a take on it called My Coffee with Niles which was great.  I want the same thing here, 45 minutes of My Laundry with Sam.

This finale was anticlimactic.  After last week I thought I would be in for some tears tonight, but the whole thing, as said above, was just a set up for season 11.  And they did a reset on Dean. 

I cried when Sammy found Dean's note leaving him Baby. And then during the scene when Sam told Dean to look at the pictures of Mary to find his way back from Oblivion.  Why didn't they just call it Oblivion!! What I wondered was why was John not in those pictures. I mean we know they existed. Did Sam just take the Mary and Dean pics because he thought that would motivate him? 

• Love 1

I missed about 45 seconds of the show, and hoped I had missed the bit that would make everything else make sense.  Guess not.

Jensen had said something about really loving the finale.  I wonder if the editing altered the story's clarity or something?  Maybe they cut out the lines that would have tied it together better?  (I think I'm trying to make excuses where I suspect there aren't any.)

The pacing for this season stunk; story arcs with awesome potential were squandered, and the finale, which in past years has managed to pull things together reasonably neatly, failed.  Miles vary, but count me disappointed.

• Love 2

I cried when Sammy found Dean's note leaving him Baby. And then during the scene when Sam told Dean to look at the pictures of Mary to find his way back from Oblivion.  Why didn't they just call it Oblivion!! What I wondered was why was John not in those pictures. I mean we know they existed. Did Sam just take the Mary and Dean pics because he thought that would motivate him? 

I managed to keep it together with the note, and only barely with the photo scene, because I was almost sure when Sam said take "these" with you, one thing was going to be a photo and the other was either going to be the original amulet * or the wooden one from the "Fan Fiction." The original one would've made me lose it for sure.

* I know a lot of people would've hated this, which is probably why they didn't do it, but for a moment I held my breath and thought it could've been.

Wait, wait, wait.  Why didn't Death just resurrect Cain to plug the dike again???

I don't think Death can do that? Death is ...well death. I'm not sure his power is to resurrect. God - or a high powered angel - is likely the only one who could resurrect Cain, I think.

... When the Darkness popped up I was more worried about the Impala than I was for humanity.  I don't think that's what the writers intended.  Still, I'll be around next season--I'll be around till the bitter end.

I was so worried one of those lightening things was going to come down and smash Baby.

I think I need a rewatch to entirely process.

• Love 1

dammit I lost my post.  I was trying to comment on My Dinner with Andre, the movie which featured two men sitting in a restaurant having a conversation over dinner.  That was the whole movie.  It was fascinating.  Frasier did  a take on it called My Coffee with Niles which was great.  I want the same thing here, 45 minutes of My Laundry with Sam.

This finale was anticlimactic.  After last week I thought I would be in for some tears tonight, but the whole thing, as said above, was just a set up for season 11.  And they did a reset on Dean. 

Goldmoon, you have excellent taste! My Dinner With Andre is one movie that I bought both in tape and DVD. Beautiful film!

• Love 1

I wonder if Jared is staying off of social media?  I don't follow him, so I don't know if he's been present elsewhere, but I'm thinking taking a total break might be a good thing for him right now.

Could Jensen be traveling?  Or maybe he's feeling a bit weird without Jared?