Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Your Father, My Friend

Ep. 3.4 – Your Father. My Friend.

Holy Hell, that was…that was a damn good cliffhanger. And for about 3 minutes, I was really proud of Ripper Street for fearlessly pulling the trigger and not copping out on all the foreshadowing. And then of course they undid it, because there are still 4 eps to go. Oh well, it was a great plot twist regardless, and I can see how it raises the character conflicts to Shakespearian-tragedy levels now.

It seemed odd that Drake receded into the background here after his lengthy, brilliant monologues in 3.3. Mostly, it made Drake look like Reid’s enabler. And the poor Sergeant—Reid used him as an enabler too by practically demanding that oath of fealty. At least the Chief Inspector stood his ground against Reid for a time. I’m liking him more and more because of it.

I snickered at the slo-mo walking with shotguns. It was like something out of…IDK, The Untouchables?

I’ve realized that I don’t know Mathilda’s age at the time of the shipwreck. I thought she was a small child, based probably on how Reid spoke about her, but with I’mNotAlice being 15 or 16 yrs old, that would make Mathilda closer to 9, I guess. It’s also possible that the show realized they needed to age up the character in order to show the, um, child endangerment in this episode.

BTW, the child actor who plays Tommen Baratheon on Game of Thrones guests in ep 4 as an Artful Dodger. (Or possibly, he was also a Mad Hatter reference since the looking glass comes into play again.) Anyway, if Tommen ever turns evil, they’ve chosen the right actor for the job.

When Susan said that she had “become stone” I finally made the connection to Obsidian: she has hardened and blackened just like the rock.

• Love 2
(edited)

When Drake said, "I'm your Uncle Ben!", I started crying.

And when the Ripper connection was made (Mathilda following the trail), I found myself standing practically nose-to-nose with the TV screen, like I couldn't get close enough to the story.  WOW.

But, p.s., Susan-you're-a-twat.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Loved seeing Jackson working behind the scenes; everything with his character was like personal fan service. I'd been waiting for him to confront the clinic doctor, I got it. Waiting for the spark with Susan and oh Lordy, there it was, with each speaking the other's given name, no less. There was even that great scene with Fred Best.

Agree completely with SB regarding the Father/daughter subplot...especially what a relief it was to see Angried find a bit of sanity again. Whitechapel tailors were running out of collars with Reid running around grabbing everyone by them.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 1

Waiting for the spark with Susan and oh Lordy, there it was, with each speaking the other's given name, no less.

I loved that they called each other by their real names. I don't know why, I guess because it made that scene even more intimate. I think that scene just showed that no matter what happens, Jackson and Susan will always be in love.

I'm still confused on why Susan told Reid that his daughter was dead. Was it just so he would become so distraught that he would leave the force and stop investigating the train crash/robbery?

"Schmaltzing Mathilda"

Sarah, I politely remove my hat to you. I sorta kinda wish the episode merited such a gem.

But I loved the episode as is! MMcF looked all hot in his beard, Reid and Drake all Wild-Bunching up the thoroughfare, shotguns at the ready (not for nothing, I don't know of another actor whose very stride gives me pantsfeelings like MacFadyen), Burning doing an unusually accurate rendering of being choked, Hot Alley Shagging, an Artful Dodger who seemed to spend all his non-pimping time getting his teeth whitened, and Drake speaking the episode's title.

Oh, yeah, and props to the FX crew with the Reid-head exsanguination. Jeepers.

I did a oh-no-not-again when the informant described Matty's dress as white, because it sure looked pale blue to me. Goddammit.

• Love 2
(not for nothing, I don't know of another actor whose very stride gives me pantsfeelings like MacFadyen)

I'm speechless with laughter.  And I loved the nominalization of "Wild Bunch" -- stealing that!

• Love 1
(edited)

(not for nothing, I don't know of another actor whose very stride gives me pantsfeelings like MacFadyen)

This is perfect.

LOL @ gutette1 said the same. I didn't even read the rest of the thread before I quoted!!

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 1

I'm getting dizzy from all the plot/character changes every episode.  It's bad enough that they dropped everything and pretty much started afresh 4 years later but there is almost no continuity anymore.  I agree how stupid of Susan, makes no sense whatsoever to me that she calls Reid a good man after shooting him.  There's no satisfaction for the audience in her offing Capshaw if it comes right after she shoots Reid.  Mr. Snarklepuss and I were like WTF?   Then the previews for next week were even more mind boggling.  Even with all the twists and turns last season this show wasn't going insane like it is now.  It doesn't feel like the same show anymore.  Same on the outside but it has a totally different soul and not one I like.  Did the writers/producers change since season 2?  I feel like someone with a horror show mentality took it over and is now aiming it at kids who will tune in for shock value.

I loved this episode. I think in order for us yo get to the Reid we knew before, he had to risk his happiness with Matilda to help Whitechapel. I think his being shot gives us the punishment Reid needed to suffer for killing Matilda's kidnapper and brainwasher so brutally and cold-bloodedly. So I hope this episode marks a return to the Reid and the show we came to love.

• Love 1

And: Mathilda herself is a Manic Pixie Drowned Girl of the first order, alas. Wafting through Whitechapel, entertaining the flirtations of the desperately annoying Epcot-Cockney pimplet Harry Ward, taking food from strangers and cocking her head like a pigeon at "Uncle Ben," Mathilda as written is the sort of twitchy drip you don't quite see the up side in finding.

Wow did this hit the nail on the head for me; exactly how I felt, including my annoyance at the parent becoming all about finding the hell-spawn.  It's predictably annoying, you know, just how FAR will the desperate parent go?? Ick.

I do agree that Reid and Mathilda's reunion was well acted and affecting.  I hope he sends her away to boarding school now. 

I did enjoy Jackson's behind the scenes maneuvering but am confused by Susan's behavior.  Soooo she shot Reid so she could kill Capshaw and use a (presumably) dead Reid to cover?  What?  Even if spur of the moment, it was so odd.  Then she sobs next to Reid that he's a good man?  Why tell him those awful things about Mathilda?  Realy an odd subplot.

When Drake said, "I'm your Uncle Ben!", I started crying.

My heart might have moved a little when he said "Your father, my friend".

LOL hell yeah!  With Jerome Flynn too.  oof.

• Love 1

I think Susan was just trying to improvise a way to drive Reid away when she told him the lie about Mathilda.  He was getting close, and she of all people knows what he would do to whomever he found responsible for the train crash.  When he showed up after finding his daughter, she overheard the confrontation with Capshaw, and knew Reid would take Capshaw, and Capshaw would give her up in a heartbeat to try to save himself.  So she shot Reid, in a panic almost, and then tried to make it look like they killed each other to protect herself.  But that didn't mean that Susan, with all her ruthlessness and pragmatism, didn't regret shooting Reid, and wouldn't have mourned his passing.  I think everything she said when she thought he was dead was how she really felt; didn't stop her from doing what she thought she had to do to save herself.

• Love 4
(edited)

an Artful Dodger who seemed to spend all his non-pimping time getting his teeth whitened...

I noticed this too, in the next episode. London's East End--best 19th century dental care in the UK--who knew!
Edited by fauntleroy

Rewatching…

This is my favorite episode of Series 3, possibly of Ripper Street. All of the storylines finally intersect and leap forward together seemingly. Oh, and that ending with not just the twists but the look of panic on Susan’s face…it’s still freakin' brilliant. And riveting. Episode 3.4 is just so purposeful compared to the last one.

And yes, it pays off Susan’s desire for connection (or even family) that was stirred up by caring for Mathilda in episode 3.3—explains why she sleeps with Jackson here, IMO.

The gossip mill in Whitechapel is HUGE! Susan, Best, and Abberline all conveniently hear every rumor about Reid…that the plot needs them to hear.

I never noticed before that Reid accuses Jackson of murdering Creed, the prisoner who could identify Capshaw back in the first episode. It’s crucial, because it sets Jackson is motion, but it was also a reminder of how unequal their “friendship” is. Jackson covered up Buckley’s murder, to save Reid, and Reid then attacks Jackson and accuses him of murder. It's Reid demanding another oath of fealty, like he did with the Sergeant, I suppose.

Edited by weyrbunny