Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Family Feud - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Seriously, it's hard to believe its 2020 watching this.  And take that half point away for telling the audience how much you've grown.

I agree.  If you have to point out (more than once) how you've "grown", you haven't grown at all. 

1 minute ago, Racj82 said:

I don't really care about any of that. Not everyone is going to be comfortable with how other people live. And I think he's playing it up to a certain extent for laughs as are the contestants at times messing with him for said reaction.

My problem is how drawn out all of it is. It's not that funny. Being around drag queens and flamboyant gay men isn't that shocking. Joke around a little bit and move on. 

That first question took FOREVER. Damn! I know I guess they thought they had a episode worthy of a whole hour but no they didn't if basically one bit is going to drag you there. Be funny. RuPaul nailing the first question without the whole read out and all that was hilarious. 

Spending five minutes on the last three contestants multiple times is just too much.

I think it's really tone-deaf if he's just playing it for laughs.  Even though Carson came back, to me he still had a slightly veiled look of annoyance with Steve.  I mean, I guess it's better than kissing (and feeling up) all of the women contestants, but the juxtaposition between the two teams was way more obvious this time than with the Queer Eye teams. 

I also think that the games are frequently that long but they edit it way down for time.  For some reason, the producers (Steve?) thought it was so funny they didn't edit it.  Wasn't the QE game also the whole hour? 

• Love 1

I must be an old fuddy duddy(well, I am old anyway) but I thought that this episode was a bit raunchy for 7 in the evening(I am in the central zone). One used to be able to watch quiz shows with the whole family....this episode in no way was appropriate for that! Plus I would much rather watch two different sets of families...at least you might like one of them!........or am I really an old fuddy duddy?

54 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Even though Carson came back, to me he still had a slightly veiled look of annoyance with Steve.

I thought a lot of them were looking quite annoyed by him. Carson, Michelle for sure, and even Katie and Aisha looked like they were so over him at one point and discussing it with each other.

51 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I must be an old fuddy duddy(well, I am old anyway) but I thought that this episode was a bit raunchy for 7 in the evening(I am in the central zone). 

Every single version of Family Feud has been raunchy. It's the main reason I never end up watching it regularly.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I agree.  If you have to point out (more than once) how you've "grown", you haven't grown at all. 

I think it's really tone-deaf if he's just playing it for laughs.  Even though Carson came back, to me he still had a slightly veiled look of annoyance with Steve.  I mean, I guess it's better than kissing (and feeling up) all of the women contestants, but the juxtaposition between the two teams was way more obvious this time than with the Queer Eye teams. 

I also think that the games are frequently that long but they edit it way down for time.  For some reason, the producers (Steve?) thought it was so funny they didn't edit it.  Wasn't the QE game also the whole hour? 

I think it's a combination of the producer and Steve thinking it's funny but it's really not at this point. Especially not to the point that every mannerism a gay person or drag queen makes you pause and guffaw for five minutes.

I know they edit stuff out normally. They should have done it here too. A little of this schtick goes a long way.

I don't care about the raunchiness. I'm a grown adult and there is no real family hour anymore. Doesn't bother me. I just want it to be funny and a lot of this was just extra.

I wonder if they don't have enough taped so they have to extend for an hour instead of two halves. If so, this will be a long summer.

I just thought about this. While, Steve not being all the way comfortable around drag queens and stuff doesn't totally bother me (not being professional is what did at points. Make your guests feel welcome). I feel like this may been scheduled to coincide with pride month. And that may be why Steve keeps talking about how he's grown and he seems to be trying to learn and not say wrong terms. 

But, acting as if you are repulsed by two men together or drag queens being sexual is as it has been said, very tone deaf.

Carson may been over Steve specifically because he probably had taped this and the queer eye episode back that back. That's a lot of Steve mugging. I would have been over it to just being there.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Racj82 said:

And I think he's playing it up to a certain extent for laughs as are the contestants at times messing with him for said reaction.

For me, if he were playing up his discomfort for laughs, that's significantly more homophobic than his being generally uncomfortable and simply doing a bad job of trying to hide it, while still sincerely trying to hide it so not to be rude to his guests.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

For me, if he were playing up his discomfort for laughs, that's significantly more homophobic than his being generally uncomfortable and simply doing a bad job of trying to hide it, while still sincerely trying to hide it so not to be rude to his guests.

Excluding the optics of this episode for a second, family feud gets a ton of mileage out of Steve being shocked or confused by things. This is, in general, is a extension of that. But, especially in these times, you can't just ignore the parties involved. If Steve is indeed playing this up, he may want to think twice about doing it again. Also, I don't think there is any chance that he is not somewhat uncomfortable with homosexuality and drag culture. Just saying that he may be dialing it up a bit because he or the producers thinks it's funny. 

Steve comes off like he's just disgusted by it all which is a problem whether he is joking or not. Joking a bit and being appalled over and over again are two vastly different things.

• Love 4
On 6/15/2020 at 6:40 PM, Racj82 said:

Excluding the optics of this episode for a second, family feud gets a ton of mileage out of Steve being shocked or confused by things. This is, in general, is a extension of that. But, especially in these times, you can't just ignore the parties involved. If Steve is indeed playing this up, he may want to think twice about doing it again. Also, I don't think there is any chance that he is not somewhat uncomfortable with homosexuality and drag culture. Just saying that he may be dialing it up a bit because he or the producers thinks it's funny. 

Steve comes off like he's just disgusted by it all which is a problem whether he is joking or not. Joking a bit and being appalled over and over again are two vastly different things.

That's why I found the latest episode hard to watch. The Queer Eye one was tolerable because they were heckling Steve, which was rightfully deserved.

The way Steve talked to the two queens was downright disgusting. Their comedic timing was impeccable, all things considered. It was uncalled for though.

It's 2020. Do better. 

• Love 3
On 6/15/2020 at 8:00 AM, Whimsy said:

I was so sick of Steve's "PC" comments and needing to point out his "hood friends" not being cool with Rupaul's team.  And then to flirt with the girls and make Katie dance.... gross.  I may be done.  I don't know if I can stomach Steve Harvey anymore. 

Made her dance? Hardly 

(edited)

The Neighborhood vs Wayne Brady—

Amusement park ride like a relationship: Am I the only one who remembers The Teacups?

Something that gets lit: Did anyone say “a person“?

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

It’s 2020; I don’t care if The Hills was rebooted, I didn’t need to be reminded that Speidi exist.

Yet somehow they got out-douched by their teammate. Was his “AMERICA” gloat a brag about their 4th of July answer (which they hadn’t given yet), or was it some good old fashioned racist BS hurled at Jersey?

Something that gets lit: Did anyone say “a person“?

Cedric’s answer of “the club” was counted as person on the board

Edited by dmeets
  • Useful 1
29 minutes ago, dmeets said:

It’s 2020; I don’t care if The Hills was rebooted, I didn’t need to be reminded that Speidi exist.

Yet somehow they got out-douched by their teammate. Was his “AMERICA” gloat a brag about their 4th of July answer (which they hadn’t given yet), or was it some good old fashioned racist BS hurled at Jersey?

Cedric’s answer of “the club” was counted as person on the board

The Former on the America question. He was being a bit douchey but not with that statement. Him and Spencer were also putting 4 fingers for 4th.

The Jersey Shore gang has done quite up but of growing up over the years so I didn't expecting to be bad.

I'm oddly happy to see that Mike got his abs back but what else did he have to do in prison?

On 6/29/2020 at 12:57 AM, Racj82 said:

The Former on the America question. He was being a bit douchey but not with that statement. Him and Spencer were also putting 4 fingers for 4th.

The Jersey Shore gang has done quite up but of growing up over the years so I didn't expecting to be bad.

I'm oddly happy to see that Mike got his abs back but what else did he have to do in prison?

The JS people may not have been as obnoxious but holy shit are they stupid.

• Love 1

Wow! The Jersey Shore cast actually managed to come across as wholesome compared to The Hills. I love the way that Deena and Snookie seemed so into winning and I also liked how The Situation did not react to the non-handshake. I also liked that Steve made it clear that he was rooting for JS. 

I've never watched either of these shows, although I am familiar I am familiar with the casts (never heard of Frankie), but I had to check their twitters and I was glad to see that Frankie is getting a negative reaction for his douchiness.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I've never watched either of these shows, although I am familiar I am familiar with the casts (never heard of Frankie)

I don't watch reality shows but am also somewhat familiar with the JS cast. I fell asleep and didn't record, but just watched the non-handshake bit, which I think was likely planned.
Anyway, my first guesses on romantic instrument were guitar and flute. In my youth I was in love with a dorky looking harmonica player who could play and sing very smooth, sexy blues, so I felt a little indignant about them making fun of the harmonica choice. I didn't think of saxophone, but it's sound is romantic in the same way as a harmonica, IMO.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

The Neighborhood vs Wayne Brady—

Amusement park ride like a relationship: Am I the only one who remembers The Teacups?

Something that gets lit: Did anyone say “a person“?

Cedric said something close to that with "The Club on Friday night". When revealed part of it was "myself"

• Love 1

These hour long shows with only one game are way too drawn out and the contestants/Steve Harvey are not nearly as amusing as they think.

Also, those were some interesting Fast Money answers.

Talk about taking one too many hits to the head.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Talk about taking one too many hits to the head.

Seriously. I thought maybe they were on coke, but brain damage is (sadly) more likely.
Or maybe they were just hamming it up.

I tuned out most of it, but the "right" answers for an animal that would kill you if it sat on you were pretty WTH-ish. 
I thought maybe dinosaur would be up there, but not snake or lion.

So did the younger guys just not practice hitting the buzzer fast (for sudden death) or were they letting the older guys win out of respect?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So did the younger guys just not practice hitting the buzzer fast (for sudden death) or were they letting the older guys win out of respect?

Interestingly, my closed captioning said of Bruce Smith, "he had two hands on the table" (which I thought wasn't allowed). One of the younger guys kept saying it over and over.

What I was struck by (other than how they bent over backwards to give the hall of famers money) was saying the Kansas City Chiefs running back was a Super Bowl champion. Meaning this had to be taped in February after the Super Bowl (since by March, they seemed to have COVID-19 restrictions in place). Which makes the audience and all the handshaking and hugging even more egregious and icky. California did have cases by then.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

What I was struck by (other than how they bent over backwards to give the hall of famers money) was saying the Kansas City Chiefs running back was a Super Bowl champion. Meaning this had to be taped in February after the Super Bowl (since by March, they seemed to have COVID-19 restrictions in place). Which makes the audience and all the handshaking and hugging even more egregious and icky. California did have cases by then.

I am sports ignorant, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but could he have been a Super Bowl champion the previous year?

7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am sports ignorant, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but could he have been a Super Bowl champion the previous year?

Kansas City was this years super bowl winner so these episodes were taped this past February before everything went to s***.

I wonder if the presence of these drawn out single game in an hour episodes is because they couldn’t get enough celebrities or didn’t tape enough episodes. Don’t know why they can’t just play 2 games with the same teams if they couldn’t get enough people though. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

.....but not snake or lion.

Snake was just stupid. I swear some people being surveyed give stupid answers on purpose. 

I thought the Hall of Fame guy hit the buzzer early.

1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

Which makes the audience and all the handshaking and hugging even more egregious and icky. California did have cases by then.

I have such a hard time watching these shows now, because my first response is usually, "STOP touching!"

Edited by lb60
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Sucks there's another repeat this weekend.

ABC’s Sunday game shows are repeats the next 2 weeks and then NBA the following Sunday, so it’s 3 weeks at least without new episodes. Probably they are trying to stretch them out through September since they don’t know when fall shows will be able to go into production.

• Love 2

Tonight was a rerun? I'd never seen it. But boy, those Descendants 3 kids were vapid. How could neither one of those Mensa candidates figure out what Kermit and Miss Piggy would never order at dinner? And "lip injections?" Their money was showing.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings about celebrity guests who don't know how the game works because they aren't fans and are only there because Disney insisted. Poor Daniel DiMaggio was a deer in the headlights. It made me think of when the producers made the kids from "Eight Simple Rules" and Katy Sagal sit for an interview on TV right after John Ritter's sudden death.

• Love 2
On 6/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, gsnrocks92 said:

His schtick is beyond tired at this point. Ideally Feud would go on hiatus for a few years and come back with a new host, but as long as Steve gets the ratings that won’t be happening.

Yeah, it doesn’t appear that a ratings slide will happen anytime soon.  Not to mention that he would more than get a pass given the pandemic. 

Overall I don’t have a problem with Harvey.  I actually admire him, but I agree that the act is old.  Typically as time goes on the success is less likely to continue.  Therefore, the only way we’d see an end to the Harvey era, IMO, is when Steve is ready to exit (barring something off of the show that would result in his departure).

My issue with Celebrity Family Feud is the same as for the regular version: the gameplay.  Too many NSFW and unnecessary questions!  Maybe one or two of those, but that’s it.  More important is the structure for an hour show.  Given the comedy within the show, I guess there isn’t too much time for actual questions.  It isn't impossible to do better with an hour-long Family Feud

• Love 1
On 9/14/2020 at 7:10 PM, gsnrocks92 said:

It is airing this Sunday at 7pm before the Emmys.

I just noticed that on the West Coast (on the station here anyway) the Emmys will be airing again at 8 PM after the live airing at 5, so the Ray Romano episode of CFF won't air until after the 11 o'clock news.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:10 PM, gsnrocks92 said:
On 9/14/2020 at 9:26 PM, Grizzly said:

So the Ray Romano episode hasn't aired yet?

It is airing this Sunday at 7pm before the Emmys.

Not sure why they're not waiting for Thursday when the show resumes with first-run episodes.  I guess it's fitting since Ray's show was an Emmy monster during its run

Looking forward to the Ray Romano episode, and it appears to be two contests within the hour.  That is great news.  Probably would’ve skipped it outright if it was dragged on for an hour.  However, it’s opposite football so I’ll probably have to catch the Garrett/Romano show later (along with the Emmys)

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The first half teams seemed more familiar with the way it’s played, which always makes it easier to watch. 

He did. Almost like he was medicated or something. 

Kathie Lee and family were on the originally Celebrity FF with Al Roker before so that helped. And Ricki Lake hosted that Game Show Marathon special which included Family Feud. So they were familiar with the rules which made them more likeable to watch here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, gsnrocks92 said:

Kathie Lee and family were on the originally Celebrity FF with Al Roker before so that helped. And Ricki Lake hosted that Game Show Marathon special which included Family Feud. So they were familiar with the rules which made them more likeable to watch here.

Kathie Lee & Ricki were rather familiar even before 2008, especially Lake given her background in the Game Show world.  They probably would've done very well without their appearance on the NBC version.   It does help but it's not automatic.  For instance, Louie Anderson actually hosted for 3 years (albeit the worst era of the show) but lost as a contestant (though he & his team got unlucky in defeat).

Man, imagine if Kathie Lee and Ricki Lake didn't face each other, but instead faced one of the teams from the second half of the show.  As mentioned, Steve was definitely more energetic.  I could do without people that don't know how the game works or struggle with it

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

I could do without people that don't know how the game works or struggle with it

I appreciated Steve just telling the celebrities "you're going to play" instead of making them decide after the first question like he does on the regular Family Feud. 
I wonder if there are plans to finally do away with that seldom-used option for both shows in the interests of time and not annoying the viewers.

The other frequently awkward moment is after the first person to buzz in has given an answer that is not the top answer. At least half the time the other player doesn't answer quickly enough and looks totally startled and confused when learning they missed the 3-second window. Richard Dawson always gave extra time--often too much. But at least Steve could look at the other player when he says "2 answers will beat it" and also say: "You have 3 seconds to give an answer that will beat it."
IDK.
Something less awkward.
Maybe make it funny somehow?

• Love 3
On 9/26/2020 at 9:26 PM, shapeshifter said:

I appreciated Steve just telling the celebrities "you're going to play" instead of making them decide after the first question like he does on the regular Family Feud. 
I wonder if there are plans to finally do away with that seldom-used option for both shows in the interests of time and not annoying the viewers.

I have actually been thinking of this for a long time.  I think the play or pass option had already been retired, and it's there just for show.  A couple recent examples were whenever it looked as if they were short on time, Steve just "motioned for the contestant to go back to his or her family upon obtaining control.  The other instance was a very tough survey with 8 answers (that ended up being worth 19 points) where Number 7 was the answer given that won a family control.  That would be when you'd pass; the family did not pass on that question, and got one more answer before the bank was stolen.  The other family stole it with 6 out of 8 unrevealed answers.  Not an easy question; not sure that family needed to play when none of them knew any of the answers.

Shapeshifter, those face-off issues are spot on.  It's fair for Steve to do it his way, but there are certain circumstances where he could emulate what's worked in the past.  He should be saying, "Two answers might beat it" whenever Number 3 is revealed in "Face Off" instead of standing there to do nothing.  Though it is the contestants responsibility to know the rules; this actually occurs in the Main part of the game.  Harvey does give players time, but they do get buzzed out for not responding in 3 seconds.  It's odd; he did use the 3-second line early in his tenure.

As mentioned, it helps to be better prepared, though they have had people on the show that didn't even know what Family Feud was

Edited by Carey
  • Love 2

This week's first half just aired with Joel McHale's team and Ben Feldman's team.

For something that could prick you I thought cactus--which obviously the other non-celebrities surveyed did too.

_____

2nd half break right now with Jesse Palmer team vs. Cee-Lo Green team.

Again, thinking like the not-so-wealthy folks surveyed, I knew one of the answers to what Santa would have to do to one of the reindeer in a bad economy was rent it out.
I appreciated in the first half when Steve said 30 years ago he would not have given up the hundred$ that Joel McHale stuffed in his pockets before taking the other team's "bribery" food. He still thinks like us mere mortals. 

Edited by shapeshifter

I thought the Feldman team was funny, especially the dad. Didn't understand who the guys were with Joel. 

That was the most animated we've seen football players be. Nice that they genuinely seem like friends still. Dave was very respectful of Cee-Lo's fiancee. Then she disses him and says she came to play. After giving the worst answer ever, she can sit down!

I love Jesse but he needs to take suit wearing lessons from Steve. Jacket didn't fit right, pants were too short and I don't think he had on socks.

• Love 1

Airing now:

Season 6 / Episode 10
Actresses Jenna Fisher and Angela Kinsey's team faces actor Scott Foley's team in a charity competition; cast members from the TV show "mixed-ish" compete against a team of actresses who play mothers on Disney Channel TV shows.

The last question of the "Office Ladies" vs. Scott Foley's:
  Your husband is hooked up to a lie detector, what question do you ask?
I was yelling at the TV: Do you love me? 
(which was the #2 that nobody guessed) but I expect happily marrieds (50%) wouldn't ask that.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

The Disney moms were pretty bad. We didn't even meet all of them. And none of the teams said what charity they were playing for. Seemed kind of rushed. I thought casket for what rhymes with gasket.

• Useful 1