Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Celebrity Family Feud

Recommended Posts


I was a little surprised that in the Fast Money round meatballs with gravy was considered a bad answer.  I often make wide noodles with pan-fried meatballs covered in gravy.  I must be an anomaly.  Go figure!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Fable said:

I was a little surprised that in the Fast Money round meatballs with gravy was considered a bad answer.

When the man said it, my first thought was that "gravy" is what Italians call what others call sauce. I remember the first time I heard my NJ Italian boss refer to gravy on his noodles....Huh? Then he explained to me!

Edited by suebee12
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Fable said:

I was a little surprised that in the Fast Money round meatballs with gravy was considered a bad answer.  I often make wide noodles with pan-fried meatballs covered in gravy.  I must be an anomaly.  Go figure!  

I thought of Swedish Meatballs (which have gravy), but most people are going to say sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, suebee12 said:
18 hours ago, Fable said:

I was a little surprised that in the Fast Money round meatballs with gravy was considered a bad answer.

When the man said it, my first thought was that "gravy" is what Italians call what others call sauce. I remember the first time I heard my NJ Italian boss refer to gravy on his noodles....Huh? Then he explained to me!

I saw a puzzled look on Steve's face. Since he's been doing the show for a long time and has heard a lot of regional turns of phrase, he was probably just wondering how the judges were going to rule.

Share this post


Link to post

On 8/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, Phishbulb said:

I guess we're never gonna get "Team Black-Ish vs. Team Goldbergs"; they skipped over it early in the summer for some reason and it doesn't appear to be on the upcoming schedule of episodes. September 22nd is listed as the season finale.

Looks like this will end up airing after all, on September 29th. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

The Terry Bradshaw vs Adam Rippon matchup was hilarious. So many funny moments. My favorite was when Bradshaw was saying to take it easy on him and start with a football question, and Steve Harvey pretended to read off the card, “we asked 100 figure skaters....”

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I thought I was going to root for the John Legend team but after about 2 minutes of Chrissy, I gave up! I really know nothing about the Vanderpumps and I was expecting them to be awful but they planned well and I was really glad to see them win!(and that is the calmest dog I have ever seen but I guess he/she is used to all the noise, etc)

In the second game, I had to laugh when Ryan's brother said they were going to pass and everyone yelled NO, we'll play! In the old days, didn't teams pass if they didn't like the category? I thought Ryan looked really good...married life must be doing him good!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

In the old days, didn't teams pass if they didn't like the category?

They could and they still can, but I've never understood why you would. Your team passes to another team the other team gets to answer then if they get 3 strikes it comes back to your team to answer, except now it is even harder since all the easy answers are usually taken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

....except now it is even harder since all the easy answers are usually taken.

That is what I thought but I thought I remembered some teams doing it a long time ago!

Share this post


Link to post

I'm quite sure this was a repeat.  I remember the Legend-Vanderpump game well, specifically because Chrissy was driving me bats.  Oddly enough, I don't remember the Lochte-Eubanks one at all.  

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Fable said:

I'm quite sure this was a repeat.  I remember the Legend-Vanderpump game well, specifically because Chrissy was driving me bats.  Oddly enough, I don't remember the Lochte-Eubanks one at all.  

It was a repeat.

7 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

They could and they still can, but I've never understood why you would. Your team passes to another team the other team gets to answer then if they get 3 strikes it comes back to your team to answer, except now it is even harder since all the easy answers are usually taken.

Counter point, you only need to answer once and people steal more often than they miss the steal when I watch. It's not a bad strategy at all and teams often miss the easiest answers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well, they saved Goldberg's vs Blackish for last. 

That was some bad fast money play. My God!

It was probably done as a sweet gesture but none of the kids should have been sent in there.

I know Anthony Anderson can be a no go for many but I really don't take him seriously. I don't think anyone around him does. Like when he's crapping on the answers of his sitcom family, they all know it's with love. Him and Tracee make a great balance though. He's as abrasive as she can be sweet but they also be silly together. 

This was a very loud episode though. 

I miss mama Goldberg. Didn't feel right with out her.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Was "Goldberg's vs Blackish" the only time they had an hour-long game? I'm pretty sure they have always been 2 half-hour games per hour-long episode.

I think they need to tweak the format for any future hour-long games when all contestants are cast members who they want to spotlight rather than just family members of a cast member. 

5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

That was some bad fast money play. My God!

It was probably done as a sweet gesture but none of the kids should have been sent in there.

Instead of having the kids do Fast Money, they could have had a little more time interviewing them, because I don't think the kids can give answers that will match middle-aged suburban folks.
Or maybe tweak the questions to be something they would  know 
--and maybe even do a separate survey of kids their age --if that's legally possible. 

If it was possible, it could be like: We asked 100 teenagers, "On which musician or rapper's next album would you most like to be invited to do some background singing?"
--or whatever the cool kids would be thinking about these days.
What do I know? Get off of my lawn.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I turned away for three seconds and there was some kind of "fight?" And the actor took a strike? What happened?

The Goldbergs team were huddling to get an answer when their team was in play, which is not permitted, and Anthony Anderson called them on it. So Goldbergs team leader Jeff Garlin offered to take an X. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Anthony Anderson pointed out something I always think when the celebrities answer these questions. They need to remember they need to answer like regular people, but many times their life of privilege has them giving off the wall (to most regular folks) answers. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Steve does this a lot. And not just on celebrity Feud. All sorts of people get up there and start answering with their own personal favorites. Sometimes Steve will say something is a "hood" answer. 

But mostly I think people just blurt out what's familiar when the clock is ticking. It's only 3 seconds to answer during the competition, and then 20-25 seconds for all of the answers in the money round. 

In this episode Marsai Martin (the twin on Blackish) responded to the question about what superhero costume MEN would want to wear with "Superwoman" "Wonder Woman." You could tell from the look on her face when she heard the question again when her answers were being tallied that she had not heard "men" and had answered for herself. 
And it wasn't an answer from a perspective of privilege. 

But, yeah, some of those celebrity answers can be that way.

I thought it was great that there were a few men in the survey who wanted to dress up as Super Wonder Woman. 😄

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Steve does this a lot. And not just on celebrity Feud. All sorts of people get up there and start answering with their own personal favorites. Sometimes Steve will say something is a "hood" answer. 

But mostly I think people just blurt out what's familiar when the clock is ticking. It's only 3 seconds to answer during the competition, and then 20-25 seconds for all of the answers in the money round. 

In this episode Marsai Martin (the twin on Blackish) responded to the question about what superhero costume MEN would want to wear with "Superwoman." You could tell from the look on her face when she heard the question again when her answers were being tallied that she had not heard "men" and had answered for herself. 
And it wasn't an answer from a perspective of privilege. 

But, yeah, some of those celebrity answers can be that way.

I thought it was great that there were a few men in the survey who wanted to dress up as Super Woman. 😄

She said Wonder Woman but your point stands.

But, it was a simple goof. I honestly didn't hear gender in the question so my mind just went to the most popular heroes right now. Iron Man and captain America. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In this episode Marsai Martin (the twin on Blackish) responded to the question about what superhero costume MEN would want to wear with "Superwoman" "Wonder Woman." You could tell from the look on her face when she heard the question again when her answers were being tallied that she had not heard "men" and had answered for herself. 
And it wasn't an answer from a perspective of privilege.  

I actually thought she was making a pointed reference to Hollywood Boulevard, as (IIRC) the question referred to being dressed up as a superhero there. She was so poised and mature, I figured she was referring to something I didn't know. 

Her answer about wanting a $10,000/week raise may have been more about privilege, though. 😀

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kazza said:

Her answer about wanting a $10,000/week raise may have been more about privilege, though. 😀

I wondered about that. I prefer to think she doesn't handle her own finances yet and didn't have a clue. Or maybe that is what she gets paid per episode? Which, if so, at 24 episodes per year, would be about $240K per year, so, yeah, maybe that is indicative of celebrity privilege. 😞 boo. I really like her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This was my favorite episode of all time.  I laughed out loud throughout the episode.  Have never heard of the comedian who plays the dad on the Goldbergs (don't watch the show as the mother drives me bonkers), but he was hilarious.  The younger actors were kind of bland, but the adults were on fire.  I was so glad it was an hour long single episode as it was so funny.  Although both sides let the younger actors play fast money, at least the show gives $10,000 to the charities if the "families" don't earn the 200 points necessary for the $25,000.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Although both sides let the younger actors play fast money, at least the show gives $10,000 to the charities if the "families" don't earn the 200 points necessary for the $25,000.

True. And half the time the adults don’t get the $25K score either. So the only real downside to having the kids play Fast Money is maybe humiliating them when the goal was to give them some screen time. I guess in the future the kid actors need to be coached ahead of time on how to at least act like they are able to laugh at themselves, which would probably teach them the value (both professionally as an actor and psychologically) of really laughing along with an audience when they screw up. 

Edited by shapeshifter

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

True. And half the time the adults don’t get the $25K score either. So the only real downside to having the kids play Fast Money is maybe humiliating them when the goal was to give them some screen time. I guess in the future the kid actors need to be coached ahead of time on how to at least act like they are able to laugh at themselves, which would probably teach them the value (both professionally as an actor and psychologically) of really laughing along with an audience when they screw up. 

I don't think there was anything wrong with their reactions. Celebrity or not, I enjoy good gameplay on the show. You are supposed to be sending out your best options. Neither team did that. Actually, the kid who plays Barry seemed pretty cool and collected. He was a good choice. I know this is all fun and games but I don't even like watching game shows when people start tanking the final round.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

New episodes start tomorrow (Sunday).

Edited by lb60
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

First Survivor, then Top Chef, now Family Feud with the oldschoolers vs newschoolers. And as I have every time, I've been rooting for the OGs. It was cool to see them all together again.

This was a highly entertaining hour, from "sleep suit" to "Alex Trebek" to "That's what I said! And then he said that [expletive] about the kids." And the Fab 10 energy, aww. Really enjoyed this one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

This was a highly entertaining hour, from "sleep suit" to...

It did seem like a better show than usual, but here in Chicagoland it got preempted about 15 minutes in for news.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it got pre-empted by local news coverage in a lot of places. I had to wait and catch it on On Demand.

It was nice to see the OG Fab Five take a win for this, and Kai and Jai both did really well. 

I thought Steve Harvey was visibly uncomfortable with most of them, though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought Steve Harvey was visibly uncomfortable with most of them, though.

That makes me really want to hunt down the episode so I can watch.... 😂

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought Steve Harvey was visibly uncomfortable with most of them, though.

Me too.  SH is so fake.  I hate how he "laughs" half bent over for like 45 minutes sometimes.  I honestly can't stand him and his cringing at the guys last night just nailed another nail in his coffin for me.  No, it wasn't overt, but you could tell he was uncomfortable.  I mean, Bobby & Carson didn't do ANYTHING that was too much when they met at the podium but Steve was like "too much, too much".  I, personally, thought I saw Carson covering annoyance when Steve was talking to him at the top of the show.  I love all of the Queer Eye guys and I adored that show.  I forgot about Kyan.  It took me a minute to remember him, but I think he's aged VERY well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It also kinda exacerbated the heteronormative survey questions. "We asked 100 women about their husbands". Made me internally cringe a little. And I mean, I know that besides instead asking "100 people about their husbands" or "100 men about their husbands" part of the point may really have been what women say vs just what anyone with a husband says, but in the context of this episode it hit even harder than usual.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Also, Jai tried to speak to the positive representation of different kinds of families, and Steve clearly wanted to get away from that as quickly as possible. He wouldn't even comment beyond a quick "uh, it's 2020, let's play the game now."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

It also kinda exacerbated the heteronormative survey questions. "We asked 100 women about their husbands". Made me internally cringe a little. And I mean, I know that besides instead asking "100 people about their husbands" or "100 men about their husbands" part of the point may really have been what women say vs just what anyone with a husband says, but in the context of this episode it hit even harder than usual.

I also was thinking about that as well. It seemed to me that ALL of the questions were asking what wives said about their husbands. Why couldn’t they have reworded the questions or just used completely different questions?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I mean, having nothing to do with this episode, the show ALWAYS has questions that are husbands about wives or wives about husbands or men about women or women about men. If when they took the survey they knew it was for this episode, they could've made a point of not only asking wives about husbands but finding some husbands who have husbands too. But if they just do the surveys and assign them to episodes later....if it's true they only asked wives about husbands, I don't think it necessarily helps the situation for them to reword it to obfuscate the show's existing heteronormative practices.

Share this post


Link to post

I've always hated how popular Steve Harvey became as host of Family Feud in general.  The syndicated show turned into something that's anything but family friendly. I'm not a prude by a long shot but it's kind of sad to see what the show has devolved into after watching older episodes from different decades on Buzzr. 

Celebrity Family Feud can get dirty but it doesn't seem like it gets as bad as the syndicated regular FF. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, Jaded said:

I've always hated how popular Steve Harvey became as host of Family Feud in general.  The syndicated show turned into something that's anything but family friendly. I'm not a prude by a long shot but it's kind of sad to see what the show has devolved into after watching older episodes from different decades on Buzzr. 

Celebrity Family Feud can get dirty but it doesn't seem like it gets as bad as the syndicated regular FF. 

I don’t watch regularly, so I’m not entirely sure, but I thought that maybe in the last year the regular Feud has cleaned up the questions a little. 
I loathe the cannibal questions. 

Share this post


Link to post

Watching 6.2, "Andy Cohen vs. Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Kevin Nealon vs. Drew Carey" right now.

In the first half Steve looked good in a black velvet suit. 
In the second half, I love Susan Yeagley's (Kevin Nealon's wife) dress, but the tie is a bit much.

In the first half there was a question about what a wife wants her husband to get hit with when he walks out on her. Having been divorced for 30 years, I had this one. Lightning, asteroid, bad Karma, etc.

 

ETA: So Paul McCartney watches Family Feud before he performs?!?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

In the first half there was a question about what a wife wants her husband to get hit with when he walks out on her. Having been divorced for 30 years, I had this one. Lightning, asteroid, bad Karma, etc.

I was yelling "lighting" before every answer!

Are Kevin Nealon and Cheryl Hines related in some way? Seemed a little odd that everyone else was actually his family member (wife, mother-in-law, and brother) and then she was in the middle.

Couldn't help but wonder how many vials of Botox were represented on the Housewives side...

  

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In the second half, I love Susan Yeagley's (Kevin Nealon's wife) dress, but the tie is a bit much.

lol...there was a lot going on in that outfit...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know when this was recorded, but I was happy that the Nealon team's $25K went to a hospice during the time of COVID.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The question was something like "What would you do to Steve's mustache?"  Andy said something that was bleeped.  He said "Bleep it!"  

Does anybody have any idea what he said?

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know when this was recorded, but I was happy that the Nealon team's $25K went to a hospice during the time of COVID.

Teddy Mellencamp, who was pregnant during the filming of the show, gave birth at the end of February.  So the timeline is probably late 2019.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

The question was something like "What would you do to Steve's mustache?"  Andy said something that was bleeped.  He said "Bleep it!"  

Does anybody have any idea what he said?

 

My assumption would be that he said ride it, which was my first thought with how raunchy the questions and answers at times. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

My assumption would be that he said ride it, which was my first thought with how raunchy the questions and answers at times. 

Right!  That sounds like Andy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

All that talk tonight about Steve’s “toasted plum” suit when the most memorable part of his attire was the same-patterned shirt and tie:

 

CA6DAC4E-DA7A-4370-9617-55E8B9AD9191.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was so sick of Steve's "PC" comments and needing to point out his "hood friends" not being cool with Rupaul's team.  And then to flirt with the girls and make Katie dance.... gross.  I may be done.  I don't know if I can stomach Steve Harvey anymore. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I was so sick of Steve's "PC" comments and needing to point out his "hood friends" not being cool with Rupaul's team.  And then to flirt with the girls and make Katie dance.... gross.  I may be done.  I don't know if I can stomach Steve Harvey anymore. 

His schtick is beyond tired at this point. Ideally Feud would go on hiatus for a few years and come back with a new host, but as long as Steve gets the ratings that won’t be happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

.....and again it's completely cringeworthy how conspicuously uncomfortable he is around gay people. I guess half a point that he did the show anyway and sort of tried to pretend he wasn't as obviously uncomfortable as he was, and appears to be chill with Ru? (but Ru and only Ru, so, booooo)

Ugh.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

.....and again it's completely cringeworthy how conspicuously uncomfortable he is around gay people. I guess half a point that he did the show anyway and sort of tried to pretend he wasn't as obviously uncomfortable as he was, and appears to be chill with Ru? (but Ru and only Ru, so, booooo)

Ugh.

Seriously, it's hard to believe its 2020 watching this.  And take that half point away for telling the audience how much you've grown.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really care about any of that. Not everyone is going to be comfortable with how other people live. And I think he's playing it up to a certain extent for laughs as are the contestants at times messing with him for said reaction.

My problem is how drawn out all of it is. It's not that funny. Being around drag queens and flamboyant gay men isn't that shocking. Joke around a little bit and move on. 

That first question took FOREVER. Damn! I know I guess they thought they had a episode worthy of a whole hour but no they didn't if basically one bit is going to drag you there. Be funny. RuPaul nailing the first question without the whole read out and all that was hilarious. 

Spending five minutes on the last three contestants multiple times is just too much.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size