Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

She won again! Critics Choice this time! 

I liked her Siriano gown at the Globes but I have notes about the one-shouldered pantsuit she's wearing tonight.

Good for you, Rachel!

Yeah, it looked like she just got back from the gym. 

But congrats Rachel!

I liked the idea of the jumpsuit (because why should women HAVE to wear gowns?) more than the actual execution of it. (Judith Light's Golden Globes pantsuit, OTOH, was pretty much perfection.)

But Whoo hoooo for another win. All this can only bring more eyeballs and more acclaim and the CW should be thinking even harder about how they can keep this show and make it work

It's too bad that, much like Jane the Virgin, the Emmys are just never going to take notice of this show (it's weird what networks are and aren't on their radar; the Big Four are, plus HBO and other premium cable networks and now streaming services, but not the CW (or formerly UPN and the WB) or basic cable).

Eh, the Emmy voters are people who work in TV and don't have time to watch TV. They vote for stuff they're sure is respectable like period dramas and movie actors who have dignified TV with their presence. (Seriously, Ellen Burstyn was nominated for what was basically a cameo role one.)

Anyway, Hulu previously teased a CXG catchup but that seemed to be a mistake. However, they now have all 8 episodes, no subscription required.

Edited by Wax Lion

We haven't even mentioned (here) that Lea Salonga will appear in the season finale! And she'll sing! (she tweeted that herself and it's since been reported by the news.)

• Love 2

We haven't even mentioned (here) that Lea Salonga will appear in the season finale! And she'll sing! (she tweeted that herself and it's since been reported by the news.)

I can't believe I forgot about this! I saw it somewhere and flipped out. 

I am getting ready to either watch all 7 episodes I have saved or delete them. It depends on if the show is coming back. Is it coming back?

There is a new episode Monday.   I don't think a decision about next season has been made, if that's what you mean by coming back.

There are 10 more episodes coming this season; we already have a topic for Monday's new one in this forum. The CW has been making some effort to advertise the return, and has made all 8 past episodes available on its own website and on Hulu, so people can catch up.

• Love 1

Thanks for the responses! I thought I had read back in the fall that this show was on the iffy side of being cancelled so I didn't keep watching after the first episode. Then I noticed I had 7 episodes and just wanted to make sure before I got invested in it again. Yes I was deeply invested after one episode and didn't want to have my heart broke again. It is a cute little show and I was surprised during the one episode to find it was a musical singing show also.

Just to make you aware there were 8 episodes so far (all available on Hulu or CW). I know some episodes were preempted in markets for sports. The second episode was preempted and aired on a different day for me. Just want to make sure you don't miss one.

There are a few lines from this week's upcoming episode (which weren't in the promo or clip posted by the CW) so if you are a total spoilerphobe, then you might not want to watch this short interview about Heather. Rebecca asks Greg

if he and Heather are dating.

In response,

Greg says he doesn't know, and Heather says that yes, they are dating.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Thanks. I watched the pilot and adored the show, just because I was in the market for some good silly fun. Plus, I liked that the lead character become friends with the office girl instead of an enemy.  I am one who usually lets a few episodes build up and then watch. But then I read about it being iffy so I let it slide. I think I have all the episodes, going by the threads here. The pilot would make it eight for me. 

The ratings are not good.  Maybe that's why it was on the iffy side after one episode?  Still, the CW did order scripts for 5 more episodes pretty early on and they greenlit them into production towards the end of last year. 

Most prediction sites thought this would be cancelled but once Rachel Bloom started winning awards, a few have declared it a toss-up.  The CW did give Jane The Virgin a renewal last season under similar circumstances and they do seem to really like/get the show.

But I do think, whatever happens, that there will be a full story told.

Returns to about a 0.3/926k viewers...hmm, not unexpected. 

Well, Good Wife's first season had below-average ratings and it's gotten further below average every season since, yet it's in S7, thanks basically to Awards. Of course, that show had far more awards prospects, but CBS also has far higher expectations in general, so I guess we'll see how meaningful this network finds a Golden Globe to be...

I think it will really come down to how strong they think their new pilots are or whether they'd consider doing the show as summer show.

Yeah, probably.  The value of its awards to the network's prestige is diminished somewhat from what it otherwise might be by the existence of Jane the Virgin, which earns similar laurels but somewhat better ratings.

Edited by SeanC

It's hard to call. But the network has really been behind the show, talking it up to the press, not asking it to change its identity for higher ratings. And they know they have something unique in the current landscape, something that will be looked on as a weird little classic in a few years. But they're not running a charity; they have to balance all that against their own bottom line.

Plus Jane the Virgin is really good PR in that it's considered a strong portrayal of an underrepresented minority. Like, looking at the Imagen Awards for Best Actress, most of the category was just the cast of Devious Maids. Which some have criticized for perpetuating the idea of minorities as maids. (The 3rd show on with multiple acting nominees there is Chicago Fire, in supporting, as the main faces for that are two white guys.)

This show is more diverse than most, but the main face for it is Rachel Bloom. 

Edited by jjjmoss

Plus Jane the Virgin is really good PR in that it's considered a strong portrayal of an underrepresented minority. Like, looking at the Imagen Awards for Best Actress, most of the category was just the cast of Devious Maids. Which some have criticized for perpetuating the idea of minorities as maids. (The 3rd show on with multiple acting nominees there is Chicago Fire, in supporting, as the main faces for that are two white guys.)

This show is more diverse than most, but the main face for it is Rachel Bloom. 

There's been a fair amount of press over diversity in CEG (and having as its lead male love interest not only an Asian character, but an Asian bro).

Well for me, when I've brought up the show with people they're like "what's that" and on entertainment forums I go to when it was nommed then won a Globe people were like "what's that." So I think the press is known mainly by people who are actively trying to read press about the show.

Yeah, when I bring it up to friends (as I reliably do), their reaction is not that they heard about it and decided not to watch, for whatever reason, but literally "What's that? I never heard of it." The CW has been promoting it generously, I think, but that's no help if you don't watch anything on that network in the first place.

• Love 1

Yeah, when I bring it up to friends (as I reliably do), their reaction is not that they heard about it and decided not to watch, for whatever reason, but literally "What's that? I never heard of it." The CW has been promoting it generously, I think, but that's no help if you don't watch anything on that network in the first place.

I am someone who never watches anything the CW except when Veronica Mars aired on the channel. I hadn't even heard of the show prior to the Golden Globes, but Rachel Bloom's win piqued my interest and I caught up on all the episodes. I got hooked quickly. I'm bummed there was no spike in ratings but I could easily see this show having a second life on Netflix or Hulu.

I'm bummed there was no spike in ratings but I could easily see this show having a second life on Netflix or Hulu.

Or on the CW's own streaming service. If they really want to move away from Netflix, they need some exclusive content, as Netflix still has the US streaming rights for past seasons of all shows that started prior to last summer for the remainder of their run (so they can't just pull stuff like the Flash from Netflix even if they wanted to for the next couple of years, if I understood that correctly). CXG obviously only has niche appeal, but a strong one and is pretty cheap to make - that's pretty much what you want for VOD.

CXG ...  is pretty cheap to make 

It is? I would be genuinely interested in knowing where I can read more about this. I had always assumed it was relatively expensive to make, what with musical numbers to be written, arranged, designed, choreographed, cast (for chorus), etc., every week.

I am someone who never watches anything the CW except when Veronica Mars aired on the channel. I hadn't even heard of the show prior to the Golden Globes, but Rachel Bloom's win piqued my interest and I caught up on all the episodes. I got hooked quickly. I'm bummed there was no spike in ratings but I could easily see this show having a second life on Netflix or Hulu.

If they do decide to give it another chance despite the poor ratings, I hope they put it on Netflix and/or Hulu immediately after the season is over.  Maybe people will binge it during the summer.  Also I feel like Netflix and Hulu would reach a higher audience.  Seems like more people would have those apps rather than CW.  I know I don't have a CW app.  I don't even know if they have one I'm just assuming they do.  If they wait until August to put the entire season online like many shows, that'd be too late.  Many people get busy with school resuming.  Of course a renewal isn't looking good right now.  

Also I was wanting to check out some new shows On Demand over the Christmas break, but many of them only had the most recent episodes. Needless to say I didn't give those a chance because I don't start in the middle of seasons. I think it'd be smart of new shows to provide as much access as possible to gain viewers.

Edited by Stuffy

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/25/crazy-ex-girlfriend-star-rachel-bloom-on-why-tv-needs-more-asian-bros.html

That being said, do you feel pressure given the way television is promoted online to produce songs that work both in the narrative and as standalone viral videos?

A hundred percent. You know what? That hasn't worked. "Sexy Getting Ready Song" has gone viral but, short of that, no other song from our show has gone viral. I think our songs are awesome and some of the videos are successful but you can't really control what goes viral. All I can do is make videos that are funny, and that can also be poignant, but if the goal is to go viral, you'll go crazy.

[...]

One of the diverse stories you're telling is about your character's struggles with mental illness, which seems like a difficult topic for a comedy to approach...

...which is so funny because every comedian I know is on antidepressants and has a very dark sense of humor. It always takes a while, I think, for TV and film to catch up with what's already being done in the alternative comedy world. Every friend I know, we all have dark senses of humor about our depression, our anxiety, our family issues. I guess what's groundbreaking is doing it on network television. But to me, I've been joking with my friends about this shit for years. And I think that what it is [new] is truth and it's honesty and it's not labeling it as an Other.

It makes for tricky viewing, though, because you want Rebecca to grow as a person but if you relate to her, you also want her to get what she wants, even when it's not right for her.

It's funny you say that because it's the struggle that we have. Look, ultimately, when Rebecca's cured as a person, the show's over. The show's about someone in crisis and if she's learning, she's learning very slowly. And if we get a second season she'll be learning veeeeery slowly, if at all. So it's that struggle between happiness that can last versus happiness that can go away.

• Love 1
One of the diverse stories you're telling is about your character's struggles with mental illness, which seems like a difficult topic for a comedy to approach...

...which is so funny because every comedian I know is on antidepressants and has a very dark sense of humor. It always takes a while, I think, for TV and film to catch up with what's already being done in the alternative comedy world. Every friend I know, we all have dark senses of humor about our depression, our anxiety, our family issues. I guess what's groundbreaking is doing it on network television. But to me, I've been joking with my friends about this shit for years. And I think that what it is [new] is truth and it's honesty and it's not labeling it as an Other.

I am very happy with Rachel's answer here.  Partly because I 100% support more discussion about mental health/illness issues, because that stigma has to go.  But also partly because, while I think Rebecca's reactions are over the top and cartoonish, I find them funny and more on the side of believable (exaggerated, but within shouting distance of normal-ish) ... than signs that she's completely unbalanced and mentally ill.  

I completely agree with her statements that the issues that plague her character - depression, anxiety, family issues, are actually quite commonplace and a part of life.  They don't need to be labeled mentally unhealthy, and even if they were, it never hurts to have a good dose of dark humor served up with them. 

• Love 2
It's funny you say that because it's the struggle that we have. Look, ultimately, when Rebecca's cured as a person, the show's over. The show's about someone in crisis and if she's learning, she's learning very slowly. And if we get a second season she'll be learning veeeeery slowly, if at all.

Blarg. As much as I understand where Rachel is coming from here, in that stable, well-adjusted, emotionally healthy characters don't make for great comedy, I hate watching shows where the characters learn nothing and keep making the same dumb mistakes. Weeds (another show with a smart, narcissistic, self-destructive female protagonist) was like that, and it was the wooooooooorst (seriously, the worst).

Edited by Eyes High

Whoot! Last night's ratings hit a series high AND just edged past Jane the Virgin. That should totally secure an S2 if they haven't already decided they needed to keep this party going!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/ratings-news-2nd-february-2016.html

This is such a relief. Still not convinced that we're in great shape for S2 but I'm holding on to hope... I really hope the ratings stay up. It's especially positive as almost every other broadcast network show performed worse than usual last night 

see also: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/02/tv-ratings-monday-feb-1-2016/

Edited by jecibels
  • Love 1

A .4? Whoop there it is!

It is? I would be genuinely interested in knowing where I can read more about this. I had always assumed it was relatively expensive to make, what with musical numbers to be written, arranged, designed, choreographed, cast (for chorus), etc., every week.

Relative to what? Compared to the CW genre stuff, I'm pretty sure it's not. It may be slightly more expensive than JtV, but that's about it. And not all musical numbers are as expensive to shoot as the West Covina one from the pilot. I don't see how budget could be a detrimental factor for renewal.

Episodes so far, Jane vs. Crazy:

1060k, 900k

840k, 790k

940k, 670k

1090k, 950k

1110k, 950k

1100k, 890k

980k, 880k

990k, 880k

1040k, 970k

1042k, 972k

You left off this past week though: 1030k, 1040k

Jane still does better in the L+3.  Last I checked, Crazy Ex didn't have much viewership in DVR playback.   I think it's likely going to get a third season.  But the fact that CEG is starting to creep up in strength in live viewing probably means more for it than it means for Jane.

Edited by Irlandesa

Aline suggests that going forward, Greg (possible spoilers)

will be struggling with the question of why he's attracted to Rebecca when she's always made her lack of interest clear. I think the show has already asked and answered this question (low self-esteem and Greg's fear of abandonment and a "real" relationship due to his issues with his mother), but I guess they'll be getting into it more as the season progresses.

I saw a picture on Instagram of Aline and Rene Gube posing with the script of the last episode of the season, which they're filming now.

Edited by Eyes High

Episode description for 1x13 is out:

"Josh and I Go to Los Angeles!" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DL) (HDTV)

BJ NOVAK GUEST STARS AS HIMSELF - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) and Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) head to Los Angeles to present their case, which also forces them to confront their long buried feelings. Greg (Santino Fontana) grapples with his feelings for Rebecca, while Darryl (Pete Gardner) and White Josh (guest star David Hull) continue to explore their newfound feelings for one another. Donna Lynne Champlin and Vella Lovell also star. Michael Patrick Jann directed the episode written by Aline Brosh McKenna (#113). Original airdate 2/29/2016.

A casting spoiler from the IMDB page for 1x13:

Rachel Grate is playing "Audra Levine." Daniela Somers has been cast as "Young Audra."

Two more casting spoilers for 1x14 and 1x15

Rachel Grate is also appearing as Audra Levine in 1x15. Michael Hyatt is appearing as Dr. Akopian in 1x14 and 1x15.

Edited by Eyes High