Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

I love this one: Crazy Ex's Villain song

Oh wow that one's fantastic too. I love how both are super meta and addressing the criticisms that have been leveled at CEG. Self-aware for the win. I also love the guest star backup singers in the other song that I think is in this episode (or maybe it's the next.) This might be the best episode for music yet. 

FYI - there is a thread for S1.E14 here and there is also a music thread.

Oops sorry, thanks! I missed both of those yesterday somehow!

• Love 1

I am SO happy. I had honestly given up hope that this show would get another season and I am so excited to see where it goes. I also think that the fact that it'll likely get a shorter season (because they've renewed too many seasons to fit their regular timeslots) means that quality will be as high as it can possibly be. 22 episodes in a season is a huge burden for a show like this, where they're producing musical numbers and the writing is at this quality. Most shows I would consider on par with it have 13 episode seasons. So I'm fine with the idea of a shorter season. I just feel so lucky that we get to see where this brilliant show goes. 

Huzzah!!! Now, that the CW is moving to year-round programming and presuming they're going to need to air a few new shows in fall, the question is will they hold this for summer of 2017? I hope not. I think it definitely would work as a summer show, but...it makes the most sense to pair it with Jane still (of what they currently have). Unless they move both to summer I guess. 

This reminds me of ABC's renewals last season, which included a number of shows that people found questionable. The guy in charge got fired this year, though it didn't help that he had a new pile of flops.

Wow, I was kinda good with this being a 'one and done'. What would they do for Season 2? I'll be looking forward to the songs, in any case, yay!

Have Rebecca be less of a stalker? 

I feel like Rebecca has quite a journey in front of her.  I don't know how long this show can go on but it has become so much my 'happy place' a lot of weeks that I'm willing to let it go on "too long" if there's hope that it'll keep being that place.

• Love 1

It's alive, dammit! It's a miracle!

Wait, wrong show, but who cares - yay! I wasn't quite as pessimistic about its chances (besides critical and awards love mainly because it at least maintained its numbers from the premiere and even slightly improved upon them, which is always a good sign, and because it seems to be a good fit for streaming), but I definitely didn't expect an early renewal along with the rest. It might only get 13 episodes and/or get moved to summer, but that wouldn't such a bad thing, really.

• Love 1

This is such great news, and it shows how the TV landscape is changing: I really think that all of the different streaming outlets have made the networks a little more wary of letting go of their quality, critically-acclaimed shows quite as easily as they would have done only five years ago.  I'm happy that we'll all get to enjoy this terrific show for at least another season, and I have hope that we'll have even more than that.  And now, a moment of silence for a few brilliant, one-season wonders that weren't as fortunate as CXG:

My So-Called Life

Freaks and Geeks

Huge

Wonderfalls

Bunheads

Firefly

May they rest in peace!

Edited by crashdown
  • Love 3

I assume Season 2 will be like S2 of Friends, Rebecca will have largely moved on from her Josh obsession to a good relationship with someone else while still being friends with Josh, but Josh will have broken up with Valencia who well and truly treats him like shit, and he will be more in pine mode for Rebecca. I approve of this because I hope it means more of his stoner Priest bruh.  That dude is HILARIOUS. 

This is such great news, and it shows how the TV landscape is changing: I really think that all of the different streaming outlets have made the networks a little more wary of letting go of their quality, critically-acclaimed shows quite as easily as they would have done only give years ago.  I'm happy that we'll all get to enjoy this terrific show for at least another season, and I have hope that we'll have even more than that.  And now, a moment of silence for a few brilliant, one-season wonders that weren't as fortunate as CXG:

My So-Called Life

Freaks and Geeks

Huge

Wonderfalls

Bunheads

Firefly

May they rest in peace!

We are tv twins! Those are all on my list of favorite shows. It makes me happy that CXG doesn't have to join the list of awesome shows that were canceled after one season.

We are tv twins! Those are all on my list of favorite shows. It makes me happy that CXG doesn't have to join the list of awesome shows that were canceled after one season.

I'm delighted to be your TV twin, because I've admired your posts for years.  (Of course, all it probably really means is that we're both old enough to have SEEN those sadly departed shows!) Huge is the one that makes me especially mad, because it was really ahead of its time in its themes and characters--people would love it today, I think.  It's the reason I've never been able to watch Pretty Little Liars: the two shows started the same summer, and I've always (probably unreasonably) felt that the success of PLL put the nail into Huge's coffin.  I have a serious grudge against that show!

• Love 1

"This reminds me of ABC's renewals last season, which included a number of shows that people found questionable. The guy in charge got fired this year, though it didn't help that he had a new pile of flops."

Two of those cancelled shows, Selfie, from last year and Trophy Wife, from the year before, suffered from their off-putting titles. There was a lot of concern that "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend would suffer the same fate, but they smart enough to play up that possibility in the intro, "it's a lot more nuanced than that...' and so here comes season 2!

I'm delighted to be your TV twin, because I've admired your posts for years.  (Of course, all it probably really means is that we're both old enough to have SEEN those sadly departed shows!) Huge is the one that makes me especially mad, because it was really ahead of its time in its themes and characters--people would love it today, I think.  It's the reason I've never been able to watch Pretty Little Liars: the two shows started the same summer, and I've always (probably unreasonably) felt that the success of PLL put the nail into Huge's coffin.  I have a serious grudge against that show!

Ha, I have always held a grudge against Grey's Anatomy because I feel like Eyes got cancelled for it. Of course, my bigger grudge is against ABC. If Eyes had aired the previous year it would have been considered a hit for ABC but because it began the same season as Grey's, Lost, and Desperate Housewives, it got dumped.

Huge, My So-Called Life, Freaks & Geeks, and Wonderfalls are unique because they really manage to capture what it's like to be that exact age without sugar coating it or exaggerating it. I pulled out two old MSCL quotes recently that still apply today (one was Brian asking if the girls had been sexually harassed and Angela says they were just being guys, the other was Sharon telling Angela that after the first time she and her boyfriend had sex, it stopped mattering if she wanted to).

That is one of the main reasons I'm so glad that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got a second season. So many good shows have been killed before their time and it makes me even sadder to see the shows that got multiple seasons. I know it's not fair to pit sitcoms against dramas, but Two and Half Men lasted TWELVE SEASONS while Huge only got one? When a show I love, like Veronica Mars or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, gets renewed, it gives me hope - especially when it's a network show instead of a premium cable show. I know that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was originally supposed to be on Showtime so they had to make changes to adapt it for the CW, but I really appreciate that the CW, which quite honestly is not known for its quality programming, is willing to give this show more time, more episodes, and another season.

wonderwoman, RIP Selfie. I agree that the name sucked and was off putting. I'm so glad that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was able to transcend its not so appealing name and get viewers!

That is one of the main reasons I'm so glad that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got a second season. So many good shows have been killed before their time and it makes me even sadder to see the shows that got multiple seasons. I know it's not fair to pit sitcoms against dramas, but Two and Half Men lasted TWELVE SEASONS while Huge only got one? When a show I love, like Veronica Mars or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, gets renewed, it gives me hope - especially when it's a network show instead of a premium cable show. I know that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was originally supposed to be on Showtime so they had to make changes to adapt it for the CW, but I really appreciate that the CW, which quite honestly is not known for its quality programming, is willing to give this show more time, more episodes, and another season.

ITA, that is exactly how I felt about "The Middle", which ABC was on the fence about but finally decided to renew, and look what a mega hit that turned out to be.  I watched that show from day one knowing it was great but fearing it would go the way of so many other great shows that were axed before their time.  I also felt that way about "Ripper Street", which did get cancelled after one season, but then was resurrected thanks to a die hard fan campaign among other things.

I'm so glad that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was able to transcend its not so appealing name and get viewers!

Me too.  In fact, I've come around on its name (and the title song), and I recommend it to people completely un-ironically.  I think it helps that I am not known as crazy in my real life.  Keep spreading the word!

If Selfie, Cougar Town, Jane the Virgin, The Bitch from Apt. #?, Two Broke Girls, etc., not to mention all the Real Housewives or reality/voyeuristic tv had had musical numbers or a focus on Broadway performers, I might have watched those.  Too bad they didn't!

I don't think anyone has mentioned that there are stories out about a potential future Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Live episode.  I don't see the need.  I like the campyness of the staged show.  When ER did it, it was a curious challenge.  Here - I think it draws focus away from the fact that it's a very cute and well produced tv show by its own right.

Dunno if I've written about it, but I remembera year ago being sure that this show would be a 100% cancellation and sorta rooting for that because I wanted more episodes for iZombie season 2. It's so ironic that at this point, I'm really psyched about it while barely caring about iZombie (I mean, it's fun, but nothing special - I call this type of show a "nail-painting one" because I paint my nails while watching it).

Edited by FurryFury

Rachel Bloom was fun tonight on The Late Show/Colbert. They usually have the entire show on cbs.com by morning, and I think you can almost always get the clip on hulu or youtube. For some reason I was distractingly in love with her dress. In terms of the interview, she talked about the basic premise of the show, and Stephen asked her some questions about whether it was autobiographical. She managed to handle his behavior in a way that I found charming and effective, and I say it that way because I find Colbert astoundingly annoying in his host role, so it was just pleasant to see how Rachel was so likable that it overrode my irritation with Colbert. And then they sang a song.

• Love 1
(edited)
Rachel Bloom was fun tonight on The Late Show/Colbert.

That was the most I've ever enjoyed Colbert.  Rachel Bloom - she's a miracle worker.

JustAPerson, the Santino interview was delightful.  He gives as great an interview as Benedict Cumberbatch, and the camera loves him. 

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
(edited)

She'll be on the @midnight panel on Thursday this week. http://www.cc.com/shows/-midnight

I have no idea what to expect. Co-panelists are Reggie Watts and Emo Phillips. Quite a mix.

Sometimes they do theme shows with all the panelists from the same program. I would like to see her up there with just about any 2 of the other cast members. I was going to make specific suggestions for who, but then I realized I couldn't narrow it down and figure out which I thought would be the most fun. Too many good options!

Edited by possibilities
(edited)

Pete Gardner is a comedian so I think he'd be pretty good. I think Santino's pretty funny and would do well but this could apply to much of the cast.  I hear they work with writers before taping so everyone has something.

Darnit. I didn't realize that tomorrow is a break before the final two episodes. 

Edited by Irlandesa

That's really interesting, EB. Though I wonder what she intends to convey by "Santino did all his own tapping"? The camera showed all of both of them during the tap break -- who else could possibly have been doing it? (Unless she's anticipating Good-Wife-level conspiracy theories about his head being photoshopped onto a dancer's body, or something. I'm joking... I think.) If she meant that we're hearing the sound of his actual taps, OK, I guess. The soundtrack for filmed musical numbers is invariably overlaid during post-processing, but I suppose in an unaccompanied moment, they could be using "live" sound.

Anyway, great stuff! I hope there is a longer version (showing us the mechanics of "four Joshes") that will go, along with all the other "inside"s and extras, onto the season DVD set.

Deadline has an interview with Aline Brosh-McKenna about the finale and what might be in store for season two (two guest characters will return next season).

Fantastic interview:

Instead of dealing with her personal issues Rebecca’s chosen to kind of focus on her relationships with men, and that’s never a good idea.

Occasionally, I'm very proud of how American culture has evolved.

That's terrific, allonsyalice. It reminded me that in addition to reviewing every episode as it appeared for The A.V. Club, Allison Shoemaker is blogging a series ranking every song from the season. It starts here and continues here, with at least one more installment to come. If you scroll to the bottom of the latter page, you can watch a wonderful 40-minute video in which she and her friend Allison Hendrix talk (with detours) about their top favorites so far.

Total agreement is not the point of reading such lists, of course; what I do feel that she and I listen for and value the same things, and I've hugely enjoyed both her recaps and this monster ranking.

• Love 1

Great interview on KPCC's The Frame

"Because women are so sexualized in pop music, what I like doing is using my own sexuality to explore the unsexy side of sexiness."

— as with so much with Rachel Bloom and her show, at first blush this could seem like total nonsense, but take a breath and it is both profound and profoundly hilarious.

EDITED because I prefer my subject and predicate to agree, mostly.

Edited by Margherita Erdman
  • Love 1