Type keyword(s) to search

The Doctor Blake Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Late to the party - just finished a binge of Season 1 and am into the beginning of Season 2 (Danny departs, Joy dies - that surprised me, Daughter alive but wants nothing to do with Blake). I think that Jean is my favorite character but Mattie is close to the top. 

I have just started Season 4 and so far, I am thrilled with the new Superintendent, Frank. What a welcome change from Munro, who became a bit too cartoon bad guy. Blake was shown to have success after success - despite his unusual methods - so Munro's refusal to treat Blake with anything but disdain and contempt did not ring true for me. I really liked when Frank told Blake to just keep doing what he is doing since he is clearly having success. Bill Hobart seems to have changed his tune abruptly too.

It's also unclear whether Blake could survive financially without being the police surgeon. We know that he has patients but his practice does not seem to be very busy. Knowing whether Blake "had" to retain the job would be a key point.

Jean and Blake have finally moved forward! It looks as if we are about to lose Mattie. I've enjoyed the character so I will be sorry to see her go.

• Love 2

I finished Season 5 and also watched the 2 episodes of the Blake Mysteries starring Jean.

I really liked the last episode of Season 5 with the wedding and the end of the Tynemans. I had grown to like Patrick so I was surprised when it was revealed that he had died. The actor who plays Charlie only made a cameo appearance at the wedding so he must have been unavailable for filming. It's a shame that Mattie did not come back for the wedding.

The Blake Mysteries started slowly but I grew to like the Jean/Alice Harvey team and would have watched more episodes. Happy to see that Alice became the Police Surgeon. Strange that there was no mention at all of Charlie or Rose from the prior series.

I thought that the title work and the music for both series was terrific.

The last episode I saw was with Blake and Jean on the bus, which felt hopeful, so when I saw a spoiler about his wife coming back, I wasn't sure I wanted to watch that even if I was able to find the series again. I like Jean's character and definitely would watch her on her own. 

Ovation TV  will begin airing the first two seasons of The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Thursday, July 7 at 8am ET. with four episodes airing back-to-back every Thursday. Season Two will then begin airing on Thursday, July 21 at 11am ET. Aired episodes will also be available on demand and on the Ovation NOW app.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ovation TV  will begin airing Seasons Three and Four of The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Thursday, August 11 at 8am ET. with four episodes airing back-to-back every Thursday. Season Four will then begin airing on Thursday, August 25 at 8am ET. Aired episodes will also be available on demand and on the Ovation NOW app.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I am finally finishing this show and I'm on Season 5. I like Rose, but I think I liked Mattie better. It's interesting to see how divorce was viewed, particularly by the church. 

• Like 2

just watched the Family Portrait episode and the dedication at the end - in memory of my beautiful Liz

what is that talking about?

i tried to google it but don't get a clear answer

4 hours ago, cinsays said:

just watched the Family Portrait episode and the dedication at the end - in memory of my beautiful Liz

what is that talking about?

i tried to google it but don't get a clear answer

Did a Google search and "George Adams is the Creative Director of Gambit Media Group which was founded with his partner Liz Collins. Gambit Media Group created and produced "The Doctor Blake Mysteries". " There was not a lot of information, but I am pretty sure this is who it was referring to.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Did a Google search and "George Adams is the Creative Director of Gambit Media Group which was founded with his partner Liz Collins. Gambit Media Group created and produced "The Doctor Blake Mysteries". " There was not a lot of information, but I am pretty sure this is who it was referring to.

ok, that is a nice tribute then

thanks for looking into it

i am so glad i discovered this series

• Like 1
On 8/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, cinsays said:

i am so glad i discovered this series

Have you watched the episodes/season without Lucien? I'm not sure where to find them and haven't heard much about them.

On 8/21/2023 at 6:05 PM, ForReal said:

Have you watched the episodes/season without Lucien? I'm not sure where to find them and haven't heard much about them.

what? without Lucien? not sure i can even imagine that - he's the whole show

no Jean either?