Type keyword(s) to search

The Doctor Blake Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought this was pretty good (and thought I must be the only one watching it!)  Sometimes it seemed like it was filmed in black and white, which was odd.  I was a little puzzled by some of the backstory.  I get the part about the missing wife and daughter, and the fact that he came back to Australia after his father died to take over the practice.  The household is a little odd.  I can understand the housekeeper (who obviously has a thing for him) and the district nurse.  But why does the constable apparently live there too?  

I can't believe this topic has been here for a month and I only just noticed it!

It's pretty much my favourite show of the moment, and I only wish they made longer seasons of it. 

Still, at least there's definitely a 4th season on the cards!

I thought this was pretty good (and thought I must be the only one watching it!)  Sometimes it seemed like it was filmed in black and white, which was odd.  I was a little puzzled by some of the backstory.  I get the part about the missing wife and daughter, and the fact that he came back to Australia after his father died to take over the practice.  The household is a little odd.  I can understand the housekeeper (who obviously has a thing for him) and the district nurse.  But why does the constable apparently live there too?  

Danny the constable is Jean's nephew.

He moved in

while recovering from a snake bite in an early ep and stayed there

• Love 1

Oh, okay!  I do remember the episode you mention under the spoiler tag, but I never knew he was related to Jean.  Thanks!

You're welcome!

I wasn't sure what the spoiler policy was for this forum, given that 3 x seasons have aired in Australia, 2 in the UK and I'm not sure how many have aired in the USA.

I foolishly thought this show would be boring so I missed the first few episodes. (Also because I thought the nurse was going to be his 'ship and I preferred Jean.)  Now I'm hooked and find it much better than Whitechapil, which follows it on my PBS station.  I also like the way the women are written, to me it feels more realistic than the Astronaut Wives Club.

We just had All that Glitters tonight (1x09) and I came here to see if anyone else was watching.  I think it was clever to start the series with Black as a mystery and then slowly we learn more about him.  The shakes, caused by what we now know is PTSD, was an interesting addition.

On the shallow side, Mattie's bridesmaid dress was gorgeous.

On the shallow side, Mattie's bridesmaid dress was gorgeous.

It was nice to see Mattie all dressed up for a change :-)

Back when this aired first in my locality, it was scheduled for an early afternoon slot, and it was pure luck that I was home the first day it aired and able to set the recorder.  Haven't missed an episode yet!

My PBS station (Buffalo) is on the last few episodes of season one.

I'd love some spoilers for the next two seasons though.  Just to protect myself.

If you've any specific questions, ask away.  Or send me a PM.

(I'm always glad to blab on about the show!)

Thanks, Ceindreadh.

My two biggest questions are: how fast does the character development move (i.e. should I get my hopes up?) and are there any ships I should not get invested it?  (I hate shipping a couple who end up with other people)?

And I'm a spoiler whore, I'll take any spoilers you'd like to drop.  Anyone leaving the show?  Any good characters coming on that I should watch for?

He's just gone off to look for his daughter. Does she come on the show?

I'm disappointed not to see more discussion here.  This is a fun series.  Watched it since the beginning and just watched latest aired episode on OPB (oregon) about the Game Show murders.  I love the characters, period, and while it is a little formulaic in that Super Doctor solves the police crimes for them I do enjoy the subtleties involved and the ongoing hints about Dr Blake's experiences in Asia during the war.

• Love 2

I'm disappointed not to see more discussion here.  This is a fun series.  Watched it since the beginning and just watched latest aired episode on OPB (oregon) about the Game Show murders.  I love the characters, period, and while it is a little formulaic in that Super Doctor solves the police crimes for them I do enjoy the subtleties involved and the ongoing hints about Dr Blake's experiences in Asia during the war.

I like that he's working with the police department in an official capacity and not just randomly solving crimes that happen to fall his way. 

When I first started watching, I figured that Superintendent Lawson would be the bad/incompetent 'good' guy who ignored the maverick doctor at every turn, and I was pleasantly surprized to see that that wasn't the case.

(in fairness, I was expecting Joel Tobeck to be playing a bad guy like he usually does!) 

The game show ep was one of my favourites of S1, in part because we got to see a bit more of Lawson especially outside of the station.

• Love 3

Just found this forum, and just finished the last episode of the first season.  I'm also curious as to if Dr. Blake finds his wife or daughter again.  My local PBS station is notorious for showing only a season or two of foreign TV series, leaving me to try to find on my own what happens after that.

For anybody in the UK or Ireland, Season 3 is starting on BBC2 on Monday 30th November.

As usual though, they seem to be airing it Monday to Friday in an early afternoon slot, and by the looks of things they'll be running S2 once they've finished S3.

A place to post upcoming airdates for the show.

I'll kick it off with Season 3 which is currently airing on BBC1 at 2.15pm Monday to Friday.

Episode 3.01 started on Monday 30th November (should be available for a while on the i-player)

And it looks like Season 2 will start airing in the same timeslot from Thursday 10th December.

Season two episode one. The mystery to me is where Blake has been, where is the young policeman, what has Jean done and who has died while he was away.

Blake has been

in Asia visiting his daughter - having found out she was alive in the S1 finale

Danny (the young policeman) was transferred to Melbourne and replaced by Charlie.  In real life the actor got a job on another show and was unavailable for S2.

Not sure what you mean by 'what has Jean done'?  :-)

And the death was Nell Clasby, a patient of Blake's who had appeared in a few episodes of S1.  The actress Penne Hackforth-Jones died before S2 started filming - that's why there was an 'in memory' card in the closing titles of S2 ep 1.

Any other mysteries need solving, just ask :-)

• Love 2

Love this show! I was shocked about Joy's death. Maybe this paves the way for Jean and the doctor to have a romance? I have forgotten, what is Mattie's relationship to Dr. Blake?

Who pays her when Blake vanishes to Asia?

I suspect because he's on retainer to the Police and other local authorities that they pick up at least some of the cost for the house and housekeeping services.    Even if they don't, he needs someone to look after his house so he would be paying her himself.  I get the impression that money isn't an issue whichever way.

And we don't know how long he was gone anyway.

• Love 1

Love this show! I was shocked about Joy's death. Maybe this paves the way for Jean and the doctor to have a romance? I have forgotten, what is Mattie's relationship to Dr. Blake?

Mattie lodges with Blake. There's no family relationship.

I suspect because he's on retainer to the Police and other local authorities that they pick up at least some of the cost for the house and housekeeping services. Even if they don't, he needs someone to look after his house so he would be paying her himself. I get the impression that money isn't an issue whichever way.

And we don't know how long he was gone anyway.

Blake pays Jean to act as his housekeeper/receptionist, but we don't know what arrangements he made regarding money for while he was away. Presumably whatever Matte was paying in rent would have covered some of the household running costs.

I'm loving this show. Our local PBS affiliate has been TERRIBLE about the show, though. I was able to catch season 1 when they aired it months and months ago. When I inquired if our affiliate was gonna pick it season 2, they said replied "no." Then, months later, they started airing season two, which, fortunately for me, I stumbled upon and have been able to watch.

Since I don't want to rely on PBS, I ordered seasons 1-3 on ebay, even though they're region 2...but I have a region free dvd player.
I'm hoping season 4 (which is currently being shown in Australia) will eventually become available for purchase.

I hope the show lasts many more seasons. I love the music and sense of "family" I get from the main characters.

• Love 2

Since I don't want to rely on PBS, I ordered seasons 1-3 on ebay, even though they're region 2...but I have a region free dvd player.

I'm hoping season 4 (which is currently being shown in Australia) will eventually become available for purchase.

I hope the show lasts many more seasons. I love the music and sense of "family" I get from the main characters.

If your DVD player will play Region 4, then the ABC Australia shop ships the DVDs worldwide  https://shop.abc.net.au/

I think season 4 is being released next month.  You may end up having to pay an import tax though and the postage can be expensive enough. 

If your DVD player will play Region 4, then the ABC Australia shop ships the DVDs worldwide  https://shop.abc.net.au/

I think season 4 is being released next month.  You may end up having to pay an import tax though and the postage can be expensive enough.

Thanks!! That's food for thought.

I was really late to this party. I believe I probably missed most of season 1, but I may be able to catch it on YouTube when I get the time, I have become seriously addicted.

It all seems very authentic to the time although Australia is way different than the US in so many ways. I do wonder about some of the forensic references. Was there that level of sophistication as far as saliva samples went in that era?

On a totally shallow note, I got a big kick out out YouTube videos featuring Craig McLachlan (Dr. Blake) playing Frank-N-Furter in a stage production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. t's worth a watch. 

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1

What my local PBS station is showing tonight:

The Doctor Blake Mysteries:  A Foreign Field
   When the body of a man is found in the park, it falls to Dr Lucien Blake to use his unorthodox methods and find out not just how he died but also the man's true identity.

I hope to be able to watch it, but might not be able to.  Hopefully someone will post a brief recap of the episode, or there is enough chatter about it to give me an idea of what happened.

Russian spies. Very convoluted, but an Aussie turncoat kills Russia spy lover in jealous despair. And we learn Blake was a spy and more about Jean. Cannot understand the chastity of their relationship.

Edited by whatsatool

I am so glad there are a few others here who watch this show. I LOVE this show. My local PBS affiliate is starting season 3 tonight. YAY!! I'm a happy camper. :)

• Love 1

Episode "Crossing the Line"  Got a thrill when I realized that Jean's manfriend was none other than Tom Burlinson (The Man from Snowy River).  He's aged well!!

I really like this show a lot.  It's well done, appropriately nostalgic for an oldie like me (born 1955) yet not overly brain-taxing while not being dummed down.  I'm really surprised more people aren't commenting (maybe because it's perfect?) 

• Love 3

I think part of the lack of comments may be that people are watching at different paces. You're still in S2, S3 has aired in the UK and S4 in Australia. So people may be wary of joining a thread and seeing spoilers. 

I wonder would it be it be worthwhile setting up different season threads. 

• Love 2

Great show, but what an awful house they live in. No windows! It's like granny's bunker. It was a more repressive era of course so they're still dressed for rainy England, but would love to see more exterior shots. Budget limitation I guess, but still.

(edited)
On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:35 AM, DHDancer said:

Episode "Crossing the Line"  Got a thrill when I realized that Jean's manfriend was none other than Tom Burlinson (The Man from Snowy River).  He's aged well!!

I really like this show a lot.  It's well done, appropriately nostalgic for an oldie like me (born 1955) yet not overly brain-taxing while not being dummed down.  I'm really surprised more people aren't commenting (maybe because it's perfect?) 

I haven't seen this episode yet, but now I have something to look forward to.  More than usual, that is.  I was sooooo in lust with Tom Burlinson back in the day.

Well, poo, it looks like MPT is already past that episode, but I swear I didn't see anything by the episode description on my guide.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, whatsatool said:

Liked burning the gold dust but why on earth would his mother paint over another picture?

The picture had been a gift to her from the painter. Doctor Blake Snr insisted on it being sold (to Patrick Tyneman's father), so she painted over it in order to hide it. When she died soon after, they couldn't find the painting and IIRC, Patrick's mother thought it would be cruel to insist on getting their money back for it at that time. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Just saw An Invincible Summer which was the last ep of season 2. Maybe they heard complaints about the lack of windows in the dreary house - they had a scene in the 'sun room'!

My only real gripe is the coyness of Lucien and Jean's relationship. I understand the 'mores of the day were different', but Jean's character is so appealing it makes Lucien come off as rather a clod not figuring out a way to overcome that. After all his professional success relies at least in part on his disregard for approved protocol. Yet when it comes to Jean suddenly he is all uptight about what people think? Which is to say I get what they are going for, I just find it unconvincing.

Son Jack was a surprise - didn't seem much younger than his mum, but I guess she had him right out of high school just before the war.

Lawson's replacement was good though seemed well into retirement age.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1
On 29 May 2016 at 4:39 AM, whatsatool said:

Fell asleep again. Who killed the priest with the bees? And I still don't get the logic of painting over a painting.

IIRC, it was

the surgeon. He'd let an abusive patient die on his table and (presumably) confessed to the priest who was now going a bit mad and using the sins he'd heard as the basis for his sermons

I admit I didn't pay much attention to that plot because I was more concerned with what was going on with Lawson. That's also why I rarely rewatch it (in spite of Joel's outstanding work). 

As for painting over a picture, it was then - and still is - a good way to hide a picture. 

Just saw My Brother's Keeper which is Season 3 Ep 2. Ashby is out - because of the body ID? Gee he really got the bum's rush. I wonder why they got rid of him so quickly. Couldn't have a sympathetic chief? Now back to having a new cranky chief. Getting tired of the cliche of the antagonistic chief who makes Father Brown er, Grantchester er, Dr Blake, do it 'his way'.

Otherwise good to see Jean more involved, and more scenes outdoors. The botanical connection in particular was nicely done - Jean's green thumb makes good use of the locale without having to spend a bundle. I appreciate some local color. I lived in Wooloomooloo near the Botanic Gardens in Sydney for nearly a year back in the day. The first season seemed to take place mostly in gloomy interiors which seemed such a waste. With this show I'm so often - you are in Australia, go outside! I know, it was the 50s, everybody was still in suits pretending it was England, but still.

Cheers to this show, they do a good job.

• Love 3