Type keyword(s) to search

Richard Quest: Host with the Most

Enh I like him enough and his British accent.  He looks familiar to me though.  I believe I've seen him on other T.V. shows here in the U.S.

He's also the so-called go-to "expert" on airplane crashes on CNN whenever Malaysian Airlines (or someone else) has a bad day flying.  And CNN's tabloid style lead correspondent on the British Royal Family.  But his speaking volume level always seems to be set to 11.

• Love 1

And CNN's tabloid style lead correspondent on the British Royal Family.  But his speaking volume level always seems to be set to 11.

That guy talks about the royal baby? That would scare the hell out of me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why do hosts of American shows have to be British? Does that accent make us think they are smarter and more sophisticated? Personally, I dislike anyone with a Brit accent so he's an automatic thumbs down for me. Hey networks, how about hiring some hosts made in America?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? is coming back in a month or so..... ;D

I watched again tonight; He doesn't seem overly loud for this environment.  He kept things a bit brisker, but not by much. He sounded a bit more relaxed, to me.

Mr. Quest seems nice enough for this show, so I'm okay with him.

• Love 1

But his speaking volume level always seems to be set to 11.

His "Joe Cocker" impressions while the contestant is trying to answer annoy the hell out of me.  I watched the latest 2 hours in about 45 minutes though.

• Love 1
(edited)
I watched again tonight; He doesn't seem overly loud for this environment.  He kept things a bit brisker, but not by much. He sounded a bit more relaxed, to me.

Yeah he's ok enough.  The first night his running around back & forth on the stage was a bit much--like he had too much coffee but last night was a bit better.  I guess he kinda has to do that because you're dealing with 2 contestants on either side of the stage. 

Edited by Dirtybubble

Quest was always very OOT whenever called upon by CNN as their "Britain expert"--especially loud and enthusiastic on the subject of the Royal Family. But I liked him anyway because he seemed very genuine.

If you google his arrest, it was an extremely public embarrassment and he seemed to vanish from CNN for a while, although they still kept him, which I was glad of. I'm happy to see him with a show of his own--and he's actually quite subdued compared to how he was on CNN (no promises if "Royal Family" is a category). I actually think this show , with its dark set and limited contestants, really needs his energy.

I actually think this show , with its dark set and limited contestants, really needs his energy.

I don't know. I think this show needs less of him and his tedious, repetitious jabber and more questions shown to keep our interest. And fingers off the FFW (or turn-channel) button.

• Love 2

Phlegmy Quest is the worst part of this show for me. He's hard to understand, especially when he gets excited (which is 99% of the time) and talks faster & in a higher pitch. Ugh!

• Love 1

He seems totally charmless to me. I guess I'm one of those people who love British (and other, non NYC) accents, but this guy just yammers on, without an ounce of wit or erudition.  I'll take Alex Trebeck or Pat Sajak over him any day.

• Love 1

Form Wikipedia:

In 2006, Quest turned down an opportunity to join Al Jazeera English news channel, the English language version of al-Jazeera, "on the grounds that being gay and Jewish might not be suitable"

Ya think??? LOL

(edited)

When Quest was dragging out the results of Question 114, it really showed that he really doesn't know what he's doing.

Quest: Put it up.

Steve: Put what up ?

Then Quest put his hand up to high 5 Steve.  Awkward.

ETA: Quest needs to stop his dance while encouraging the contestant to answer, it looks like he's having some sort of seizure.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? is coming back in a month or so..... ;D

I watched again tonight; He doesn't seem overly loud for this environment. He kept things a bit brisker, but not by much. He sounded a bit more relaxed, to me.

Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? started its new run last night, on Fox, opposite 500 Questions. I ended up spending more time on Fox that hour than ABC, though I had been glued to 500 Questions every other night a new episode aired until last night.

Besides being CNN's "go-to" guy for coverage of the British Royals & aviation accidents/incidents (particularly the still-unexplained disappearance of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370)--at least on the US-aired CNN network--Richard Quest is also (or at least was) a business correspondent, based in New York, for the CNN International channel.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I ended up spending more time on Fox that hour than ABC, though I had been glued to 500 Questions every other night a new episode aired until last night.

Same here. I knew that sixth-grade chemistry answer, too. Go figure. Fifth Grader was just a lot more fun. It's the opposite of this show.

Same here. I knew that sixth-grade chemistry answer, too. Go figure. Fifth Grader was just a lot more fun. It's the opposite of this show.

According to TV by the Numbers, 500 Q actually beat Fifth Grader's premiere, both in viewers and in demo. Go figure!