Type keyword(s) to search

Flea Market Flip - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Well, I love FMF, so good for them. But, how can you win a Daytime Emmy for a show that airs at night?

It's on at 8PM on Sundays for me.

They play a ton of them in the mornings here on the weekends and during the week sometimes. I don't see it to often on at night here. 

5 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

They play a ton of them in the mornings here on the weekends and during the week sometimes. I don't see it to often on at night here. 

I get blocks of them as well. I just assumed Daytime Emmy referred to shows that are only scheduled to air during the day. Clearly, I am wrong!

19 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

I get blocks of them as well. I just assumed Daytime Emmy referred to shows that are only scheduled to air during the day. Clearly, I am wrong!

You would think because of the title but yet they do game shows and they aren't on in the day like they used to be either. There is also the entertainment shows which are all evening shows. Food shows...and I am sure others as well that are evening/night ones. So who knows anymore. I think its categories that no other award shows bother with so they tossed them into the daytime emmys.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Lara, butt out! Butt out of the negotiating, the pre-buy ideas and the renovation ideas. Let the contestants who "love" to do this do their own thing.

I just watched a bunch of repeats on Sling on demand and I kept yelling this at the TV. Somebody will want to paint something one color and she'll convince them to either not paint or to paint another color. 

What I hate and I know its supposed to be a "style" but I hate when one of them will buy a wood item that has half the paint missing and looks like crap but they don't paint it!  They call it "rustic" or something but to me it looks like old, beat up shit.   Even worse is when they take a perfectly nice item and beat on it and they call it "distressed". 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Lara, butt out! Butt out of the negotiating, the pre-buy ideas and the renovation ideas. Let the contestants who "love" to do this do their own thing.

My husband and I were talking about that and how she should knock it off. 

3 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I just watched a bunch of repeats on Sling on demand and I kept yelling this at the TV. Somebody will want to paint something one color and she'll convince them to either not paint or to paint another color. 

What I hate and I know its supposed to be a "style" but I hate when one of them will buy a wood item that has half the paint missing and looks like crap but they don't paint it!  They call it "rustic" or something but to me it looks like old, beat up shit.   Even worse is when they take a perfectly nice item and beat on it and they call it "distressed". 

I can't stand when they don't just take the wood pieces and just restain it. There have been so many I've seen and they destroy it with paint or some stupid stuff to it. When they rip apart the wood pieces that are really old to chop it up to some stupid piece drives me nuts too. 

With Lara...most the time what she tells the people is so far off. There is a few times I was glad she stepped in and said are you sure you want to do that but its so rare its for the best. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

My husband and I were talking about that and how she should knock it off. 

I can't stand when they don't just take the wood pieces and just restain it. There have been so many I've seen and they destroy it with paint or some stupid stuff to it. When they rip apart the wood pieces that are really old to chop it up to some stupid piece drives me nuts too. 

With Lara...most the time what she tells the people is so far off. There is a few times I was glad she stepped in and said are you sure you want to do that but its so rare its for the best. 

Yesterday when I watched this one idiot team painted over the most beautiful rose wood. I'd have killed to have that wood. 

I love when Lara suggests something to a team and they ignore her. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Yesterday when I watched this one idiot team painted over the most beautiful rose wood. I'd have killed to have that wood. 

I just don't get doing that. Most do it too when the wood is still really beautiful looking too. Then to top it off they always pick some horrible color for it too. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, persiaa said:

I wonder what happens to the unsold items. I was rewatching a Season 6 episode, Flea Market Bingo.  One item was a beautiful birds eye maple dresser with a mirror, that didn't sell.  I wanted that so much.

I read that the show keeps anything unsold. I am not sure if anyone from the crew takes it if they like it or they sell it off later down the road some place but wouldn't be surprised if its a mix of that. 

• Love 2
On 5/3/2017 at 3:08 PM, Evil Queen said:

You would think because of the title but yet they do game shows and they aren't on in the day like they used to be either. There is also the entertainment shows which are all evening shows. Food shows...and I am sure others as well that are evening/night ones. So who knows anymore. I think its categories that no other award shows bother with so they tossed them into the daytime emmys.

I get the feeling that Daytime Emmy Awards started out as the Emmys for shows that were on during the day, and has now morphed into Emmys for shows in categories few people care about so the show the award show during the daytime.  

On 6/18/2017 at 6:08 PM, Spunkygal said:

I think the wine press turned into a wine bar (2 weeks ago?) was the the most Lara has ever butted in.  They said "this is interesting" and Lara immediately tells them to turn it into a wine bar/table and shows them exactly where they need to add wood.  Then she negotiated with the seller.   

It doesn't seem worth it to pay more than $50 for an item. No matter how cool of an idea you may have for the finished product, if you have to pay $100+ for it, you're running a risk of selling it at or below cost in the last 10 minutes because most of the last sellers don't want to spend more than $100.

• Love 2

Just watched an episode from a week ago and one of the projects was to take something gaudy/ornate and make it chic.  One team took a ornate metal  thing and painted it white, added some wood and turned it into a plant stand.  The other team took a plain, stained wood, mid-century cabinet with sliding doors and turned it into a plain, painted wood, mid-century modern cabinet with hinged doors (And it was Lara's idea to make new doors, they were just going to paint it).  I was rooting for them to lose solely because they didn't stick to the flip list at all.  I know show plays fast and loose with the flip list, but this project wasn't even close. 

• Love 2
On 5/3/2017 at 0:04 PM, Spunkygal said:

This show just won a Daytime Emmy for Best Lifestyle Show. I have never heard of any of the other four nominees: https://parade.com/567366/sphillips/daytime-emmy-awards-the-complete-winners-list/

Outstanding Lifestyle Program

Flea Market Flip—WINNER
George to the Rescue (NBC - usually on Saturdays, George goes and fixes people's homes who have a sob story
Home Made Simple - Dreck. Didn't even know this was still on.
Lake Life - no idea
Open House - another NBC show where they look at million dollar homes usually in NYC or LI east end.

I'm watching the marathon today, after only be a sporadic watcher in the past, and it's really standing out to me how much I think the 'befores' are overpriced.  For example, a severely rusted, small meta cart with wheels that don't work is $65!  I can get a new cart of the same size for that price.  I know this is in the northeast (Connecticut?) where prices are higher than here in MN, but that still seems high.  Heck, even $40 wouldn't seem so bad for that.  And this is just one example.  

• Love 6

That "We do this for a living" claim always makes me crazy.  For one thing, how many people really do do that for a living?  And how can you re-create old stuff for a living if you have zero skills?  I'm in love with the pro crew on this show, but the fact is, they're the only ones nine times out of ten who actually know how to do things--and usually it's their work we're looking at in the final product.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

That "We do this for a living" claim always makes me crazy.  For one thing, how many people really do do that for a living?  And how can you re-create old stuff for a living if you have zero skills?  I'm in love with the pro crew on this show, but the fact is, they're the only ones nine times out of ten who actually know how to do things--and usually it's their work we're looking at in the final product.

Right!

Love the pro crew!!!

• Love 3

Is it me or the wine but for the last several shows, the "reimagined" pieces don't seem as crappy as usual. There have actually been a few decent ones. Of course there's still a ton of bars and wine racks, but a lot of them lately are cute. Or maybe this is not wine I'm drinking but the FMF kool-aid. It's become enjoyable for me again.

• Love 1

I've seen some items in this show that are absolutely ridiculous.  I know I've said this before but I just don't understand the "distressed" look. Somebody will buy something that has chipped paint and is just beat all to hell. I think "wow, that'll look nice once they sand and paint it" but they don't sand or paint it. They just throw some varnish over the ugly chipped paint.  Same goes for the rusty metal items.  I don't understand why somebody would pay good money for something that looks like it was pulled out of a dumpster. 

I think I've seen every episode and have only seen maybe 2 or 3 things that I would want in my house. Especially for the ridiculous prices these people ask for.  Most of the things I've seen are really ugly. Put some rusted old drawers inside an ugly chipped cabinet and call it a kitchen island. 

I've cancelled the show from my DVR. Lara just interferes too much and it drives me crazy. In a recent one I watched she picked an item out for a team that they weren't even looking at, then told them what to do with it, then haggled for them. I'm the work shop shell tell them not to do what they planned but do something else instead. I love it when they ignore her. She just seems really full of herself. 

Edited to say that I guess I haven't seen every episode because I still haven't seen that damn antler topped jewelry box. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

@Maharincess, did you ever see the croquet mallet light fixture? I think that took the cake for me. And to clarify my above post, I don't want any of the crap in my house. Either I have finally lowered my expectations or am the blind squirrel that finds a nut once in a while! 

• Love 2

I still watch, but the tulle skirt light fixture almost did me in. And the yarn light fixture. What were they thinking? Do the fixtures start smoking in the middle of dinner?

I wish they'd film somewhere else once in a while. The size restrictions are getting old. I get it. New York. Tiny apartments. Compact design. But we don't all live in 500 square feet. I'd love to see what they could do with some diversity, and with antiques from across the country. 

I feel like I know the Elephant's Trunk, Stormville, and Brimfield locations so well that I could be on the show blindfolded and still know where to find each vendor.

It would be fun to have a change of scenery. And it would be fun to have a "don't flip list". One show without any wooden boxes,  bar carts, trunks, metal filing cabinets, or ladders. 

There could be a new rule - if a project has been done more than ten times, it's off limits! And if a team says "We got this." They automatically loose!

• Love 9

Does anyone else think this is somewhat just staged for the show? 

If the flea market sellers are trying to make a living doing this and they agree to quite a bit lower prices for their goods for the sake of the cameras, how is that fair to them if by doing so the contestants win $5K and they have less money in their pocket?

22 minutes ago, cinsays said:

If the flea market sellers are trying to make a living doing this and they agree to quite a bit lower prices for their goods for the sake of the cameras, how is that fair to them if by doing so the contestants win $5K and they have less money in their pocket?

I think for a couple of reasons.

One, the sellers get exposure. These guys are a fixture at the market. When viewers see what cool pieces they stock, they get business. We are in Philly. More than once I've been tempted to make the drive and go check them out!

Two, everyone haggles at a flea market. Both sides expect to negotiate the price. The seller can always say no. He or she knows what they paid for the item, how much they have into the piece, how much storage space they have available, how long they've been trying to sell it, and if they really want to load it back onto the truck or just take the offer. 

We dabble in up cycling. Nothing serious, just something fun we can do together in the off season. Many of our finds come from the dump. You would not believe the things people throw away! It's mind boggling that someone would trash a brand new racing bike, or refrigerator, or stove, but they do. We have found appliances still sealed in the box with the tags and packaging intact. I'd love to know the back story there! 

Of course, we find all sorts of things. After a little love and imagination, some of these pieces are fantastic! When we sell the items, some people offer low, and others jump at the first offer. 

Because the seller has the right of refusal, no one gets hurt. 

• Love 2
On 9/4/2017 at 7:02 AM, Hockeymom said:

I still watch, but the tulle skirt light fixture almost did me in. And the yarn light fixture. What were they thinking? Do the fixtures start smoking in the middle of dinner?

I wish they'd film somewhere else once in a while. The size restrictions are getting old. I get it. New York. Tiny apartments. Compact design. But we don't all live in 500 square feet. I'd love to see what they could do with some diversity, and with antiques from across the country. 

I feel like I know the Elephant's Trunk, Stormville, and Brimfield locations so well that I could be on the show blindfolded and still know where to find each vendor.

It would be fun to have a change of scenery. And it would be fun to have a "don't flip list". One show without any wooden boxes,  bar carts, trunks, metal filing cabinets, or ladders. 

There could be a new rule - if a project has been done more than ten times, it's off limits! And if a team says "We got this." They automatically loose!

Couldn't agree more. I know we just couldn't believe the tulle and yarn light fixtures. Had the same thought as I am sure so many others about if they would go up in flames. LOL 

I agree it would be nice to see a change of locations for it all. As well as, like you suggested, no more of all those damn things. For goodness sake how many times do we need to see another bar, bench, table, cabinet or horrid light fixture? And please yes, let's set a rule up that if they say "we got this" they are out the door. 

10 hours ago, cinsays said:

Does anyone else think this is somewhat just staged for the show? 

While its obvious some things are a bit on the scripted side of things (the stupid back and forth smack talk, etc) there are things that aren't (or aren't as). I think these people are not just going in it to try to gain the 5k prize but if they have a business it gives them that time on tv to show what they can do in hopes of being looked up by viewers. If I am not mistaken no one is losing any of their own money in this show. Its the show giving each group so much to spend, plus so much out of the supplies with help, and if they don't sell whatever the show keeps it. Which would explain why the show keeps anything not sold. As was said already it is a flea market and people will make offers to see if they can get a better deal. As it is I always find things beyond overpriced on this show and am amazed at people willing to pay those prices. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

I think for a couple of reasons.

One, the sellers get exposure. These guys are a fixture at the market. When viewers see what cool pieces they stock, they get business. We are in Philly. More than once I've been tempted to make the drive and go check them out!

Two, everyone haggles at a flea market. Both sides expect to negotiate the price. The seller can always say no. He or she knows what they paid for the item, how much they have into the piece, how much storage space they have available, how long they've been trying to sell it, and if they really want to load it back onto the truck or just take the offer. 

We dabble in up cycling. Nothing serious, just something fun we can do together in the off season. Many of our finds come from the dump. You would not believe the things people throw away! It's mind boggling that someone would trash a brand new racing bike, or refrigerator, or stove, but they do. We have found appliances still sealed in the box with the tags and packaging intact. I'd love to know the back story there! 

Of course, we find all sorts of things. After a little love and imagination, some of these pieces are fantastic! When we sell the items, some people offer low, and others jump at the first offer. 

Because the seller has the right of refusal, no one gets hurt. 

How do you find things at the dump? I've been to a few dumps in my life and you're not allowed to walk around and pick stuff at any that I've been to. You dump your garbage and move along. Besides that, they're so gross. I don't care what I might find, the idea of picking through garbage grosses me out. 

I've always wondered how people are allowed into the dumps. 

Are you guys talking about the crate that some idiot wrapped in thick, gray yarn and called it lighting? That thing was so damn ugly. 

Edited by Maharincess
14 hours ago, Maharincess said:

How do you find things at the dump?

Our dump is also a municipal recycling center. We're not picking through household garbage. There is a section for garbage trash, but that is in a restricted area with no access. And yes, that would be too gross for me!

There are sections for metal, plastic, glass, yard debris, lumber and old tires. When the township removes trees, they are taken here. On any given day there are people collecting and cutting firewood. Artists by the score are there cutting sections of huge trees for furniture and art projects.

You can get mulch, soil, and compost. These are provided by the township for residents, so everything is super clean. I haven't bought Miracle Grow in years! 

We mostly keep to the metals section. It seems to be a catch all - at least until township employees come along and move everything to its proper place.  People will often place newer items or those in good shape out in front for others to "find".  Truly, we've seen entire households of furniture, fixtures, artwork, appliances, etc. carefully placed out front. We have gotten some super fun metal toys from the 30's and 40's, and wonderfully kitschy light fixtures from the 70's. I think families just clean out the attic when grandma dies without really knowing what they have. They know it's "something", so they don't throw it in the regular trash - but don't want to go through the time or trouble of having it appraised and finding a buyer.

And it's true, we once found a brand new racing bike worth thousands of dollars. It must have been a bad breakup!

Edited by Hockeymom
Double word
  • Love 2

Thank you, FMF, for the biggest laugh I have had in a long time! Oh, my sides! Oh!

The guy team on tonight's episode asks a vendor how old a desk is. It's painted white, a plain board top, spindle legs and a front drawer. Something that I see at garage sales every weekend. The vendor pulls a date of 1880s out of his hiney! Hey, I am a lifetime devoted viewer of Antiques Roadshow. There is no freaking way this desk is from the 1880s. But wait! The guy team is painting this desk a screeching shade of blue and marvels at how great this "Civil War era" desk looks now. Uh, ok. Did you fail American History, buddy? You're 20 years too late.

But the joke's on me. They bought the antique desk for $80 and sold it for $200, which helped them win. The Keno brothers on AR should tag along with Lara. Who needs experience at Sotheby's when you have FMF? 

• Love 4

I've only recently started watching this show too. I don't understand how there's plenty of room for a "bar cart" but no room for a "kitchen island."  The kitchen island seems so much more functional for small spaces given that it doesn't HAVE to be an island but a 'bar' cart is usually fitted with ways of hanging things that are fairly unique to the bar usage - like when they cut the wine bottle holds. 

• Love 4

I don't get the bar cart thing at all. Is this a NYC thing? I have never in my life been to a home that had a bar cart. I've known people who had a designated bar counter, but nobody I know would be impressed with a piece of furniture whose sole use is to store wine bottles and glasses.

• Love 5

I've seen bars with spots for liquor and wine bottles and glasses.  Not as a cart though, though if it rolls smoothly, it could be handy.  But if you're in a small place, do you really need to be rolling it around?  Either way, not sure why they are so prevalent on this show.

• Love 3

I have no idea why the bar cart as well. There is just no way each person has that in their place there or would even want it. I know I have seen stand alone bars. My MIL had one that she used for other things but to me it wasn't exactly great for being a bar anyway with how it opened on the top part. That thing was insanely heavy too for what it was. I know I have space where I live now but there is no way I would want that in my home. As it is depending on what I have around I usually store it in my fridge because I like my stuff cold and don't want to wait for the ice to do it. LOL If I wanted it out I could just put it in a spot on the counter top or have an area in my pantry for it. I know I am so over seeing bar carts or bar anything on this show. There needs to be new and fresh ideas at this point. 

Y'all's talk about a bar cart got me thinking about a cart I bought as part of patio furniture over 30 years ago. I used it for various things, including putting herb plants on it. I hosted a potluck today and used it as a bar cart. This is the aftermath - it looked much nicer at the start. I put glasses on the bottom shelf, wine, booze, and an ice bucket on the top.

WIN_20170928_17_52_05_Pro.jpg

• Love 7
On 9/27/2017 at 3:25 PM, aquarian1 said:

I've seen bars with spots for liquor and wine bottles and glasses.  Not as a cart though, though if it rolls smoothly, it could be handy.  But if you're in a small place, do you really need to be rolling it around?  Either way, not sure why they are so prevalent on this show.

One of the weirdest (to me) was when Lara was trying to convince a team how much more valuable a bar cart was than a kitchen island.  I think the team decided to go with a sort of catch all table without the fixed 'bar cart' standard pieces (hanging glasses and wine rack) which also had a fold up arm to make the work space a bit bigger. 

Related: I'm sick of the big barrels as bar carts/tables. I think I've seen 3 of them done. That's not that clever. 

• Love 4

I have to admit that I haven't read this entire thread, but did anyone bring up the old rusted bathtub that was turned into a coffee table? These people clearly never owned a fish tank. The only way to feed the fish or clean the tank would be to remove the entire top. I guess they figured no one keeps anything on a coffee table. No wonder they never sold it.

On a separate note, I too had many questions about how the show works and found this article that answered most of them. I was disappointed, but not surprised by some of the items in this article.

The Truth About Flea Market Flip

Edited by Jul 68
Grammar counts ?
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 9:30 PM, Jul 68 said:

but did anyone bring up the old rusted bathtub that was turned into a coffee table? These people clearly never owned a fish tank. The only way to feed the fish or clean the tank would be to remove the entire top. I guess they figured no one keeps anything on a coffee table. No wonder they never sold it.

That one hasn't shown up in reruns yet. I wish they would show more different reruns. I've seen the tiny tornadoes pop up on my DVR probably every other week but I've not seen the antler jewelry box referred to in another thread's title or a rusty bathtub coffee table. (Presuming we're talking bathtub size not washtub size... I've definitely seen washtub turn into coffee table)

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, aquarian1 said:

I'm watching the marathon today, after only be a sporadic watcher in the past, and it's really standing out to me how much I think the 'befores' are overpriced.  For example, a severely rusted, small meta cart with wheels that don't work is $65!  I can get a new cart of the same size for that price.  I know this is in the northeast (Connecticut?) where prices are higher than here in MN, but that still seems high.  Heck, even $40 wouldn't seem so bad for that.  And this is just one example.  

Some things seem overpriced, and others look like real steals.  But the after prices are almost always way more than I'd be paying at a flea market.

On ‎06‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:17 AM, Evil Queen said:

I hate this so much.  But then again, I don't really like modern design.  I'd be refinishing every single piece of decent wood they buy.

• Love 3
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, Spunkygal said:

@Maharincess, did you ever see the croquet mallet light fixture? I think that took the cake for me. And to clarify my above post, I don't want any of the crap in my house. Either I have finally lowered my expectations or am the blind squirrel that finds a nut once in a while! 

There are interesting things one could do with those croquet mallets, but that chandelier wasn't one of them.

On ‎09‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, Spunkygal said:

Thank you, FMF, for the biggest laugh I have had in a long time! Oh, my sides! Oh!

The guy team on tonight's episode asks a vendor how old a desk is. It's painted white, a plain board top, spindle legs and a front drawer. Something that I see at garage sales every weekend. The vendor pulls a date of 1880s out of his hiney! Hey, I am a lifetime devoted viewer of Antiques Roadshow. There is no freaking way this desk is from the 1880s. But wait! The guy team is painting this desk a screeching shade of blue and marvels at how great this "Civil War era" desk looks now. Uh, ok. Did you fail American History, buddy? You're 20 years too late.

But the joke's on me. They bought the antique desk for $80 and sold it for $200, which helped them win. The Keno brothers on AR should tag along with Lara. Who needs experience at Sotheby's when you have FMF? 

I can't vouch for the exact desk, but style was extremely common in the late 19th century.  Of course, it's also been very commonly reproduced for a long time since, so . . .

On ‎09‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, chessiegal said:

Y'all's talk about a bar cart got me thinking about a cart I bought as part of patio furniture over 30 years ago. I used it for various things, including putting herb plants on it. I hosted a potluck today and used it as a bar cart. This is the aftermath - it looked much nicer at the start. I put glasses on the bottom shelf, wine, booze, and an ice bucket on the top.

WIN_20170928_17_52_05_Pro.jpg

Yeah, I can see using something like this on a deck or patio, but are these people really hosting that many parties in their tiny NYC apartments?  I mean, they don't have room for a kitchen island, which presumably they'd use every day.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2017 at 1:11 PM, aquarian1 said:

Stormville has the cheapest prices, Brimfield has the highest prices, and Elephant's Trunk is in the middles. You see contestants buying an old dresser (not antique, no famous maker, no dovetails) in OK condition for $5 at Stormville, $80 at Brimfield, and $30 at Elephant's Trunk.  I get that Brimfield is the largest, but that's incentive to go to Stormville to me if I were junk shopping.

I wonder how many of these vendors also run a junk removal service? I know by me, there's one who gets paid handsomely to remove items, only to sell the good stuff and donate the crap. Not bad to get paid twice.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, Lola16 said:

I wonder how many of these vendors also run a junk removal service? I know by me, there's one who gets paid handsomely to remove items, only to sell the good stuff and donate the crap. Not bad to get paid twice.

Based on a few of the vendors we've seen over and over, I'd bet most of them do. They seem to have A LOT of the same stuff and seem to be willing to negotiate pretty low. I don't know if it is because they've been on TV enough now that people recognize them so they're getting more business that way and they can afford to be more generous with the TV people or because they got it for 'free' so they can go from $45 to $12.50 'and a hug.'  Also, the "and a hug" makes me crazy. You can't feed your family on a hug!

On 1/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, joanne3482 said:

they can go from $45 to $12.50 'and a hug.'  Also, the "and a hug" makes me crazy. You can't feed your family on a hug!

The "and a hug" makes me crazy for a different reason. If I was the vendor and a contestant offered me a low ball price offset by a hug, I'd immediately double my price. "A smile" = meh. I agree, can't feed your family on a smile. But a hug? No way. What the holy he-ll. Go hug a tree and get free sap. Excuse me,  I'm gonna go shoo some kids off my lawn and pelt some pigeons with stale bread (tm Sgt Philip K Fish).

• Love 3
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Anyone else think this show is fake and bogus? I find it unbelievable.

I can't decide. Sometimes I'm watching and I'm flabbergasted at what people will pay these 'flippers.'  I watched someone offer $500 for a piano bar on a rerun last night. To me that was ridiculous. But, and I am not a New Yorker, nor am I hip so what do I know? 

I know my parents have done this same sort of thing semi-successfully but never to the extent that these folks seem to be able to do, although mostly what my parents do is bring things back to original glory not completely repurpose something.  

• Love 1
On 1/9/2018 at 9:36 PM, chessiegal said:

Anyone else think this show is fake and bogus? I find it unbelievable.

There was one episode where there were two sisters that showed up to sell in evening gowns.  The types of prices they got were insanely high...it kind of made me call shenanigans.

I actually feel sorry for some of the buyers and always hope they never watch the show to see the item they just paid $200+ for was purchased for 75 cents. Buyer beware and all, I know, but some of the buyers - young single people furnishing their apartments - kinda break my heart getting ripped off buying the painted fabric chair or some other hideousness that is gonna fall apart the second they get it home.

• Love 4