Type keyword(s) to search

Flea Market Flip - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like Lara. She is pretty and has a cute personality. And she was on a re-do show that I am too lazy to look up the name of now that indicated she does have a passion for flea markets/garage sales and then decorated with said purchases. It was an okay series, whatever it was called. All that said, if the camera adds weight, then I worry about her. I've thought this for a long time and have been hesitant to post. I hate fat shaming and I am afraid I am going to come across as skinny shaming, but I just watched the August 7 episode of FMF and her tiny legs and thighs were sticks. Overall, her frame is looking frail to me. I sincerely apologize if anyone is offended by my post and maybe Lara just naturally is super lean but I hope she doesn't get any "leaner" if that makes sense. 

I Brake for Yard Sales?

44 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I like Lara. She is pretty and has a cute personality. And she was on a re-do show that I am too lazy to look up the name of now that indicated she does have a passion for flea markets/garage sales and then decorated with said purchases. It was an okay series, whatever it was called. All that said, if the camera adds weight, then I worry about her. I've thought this for a long time and have been hesitant to post. I hate fat shaming and I am afraid I am going to come across as skinny shaming, but I just watched the August 7 episode of FMF and her tiny legs and thighs were sticks. Overall, her frame is looking frail to me. I sincerely apologize if anyone is offended by my post and maybe Lara just naturally is super lean but I hope she doesn't get any "leaner" if that makes sense. 

Lara has gotten much thinner since she split from her husband. Could be stress.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Nysha said:

So what happens to the items that don't sell? Are they kept in storage for new flippers to cannibalize for their flips? Or do they donate them to a thrift store?

Lara always says whatever doesn't sell goes home with the flippers. Who knows if it's true.

• Love 1

I don't often watch Flea Market Flip because of the eye-roll factor. And I kinda' hate when they "repurpose" some perfectly nice little vintage item into something godawful. 

I don't think I'd heard of I Brake for Yard Sales but still remembered her from something other than her morning "news" gigs and turns out she was also briefly on Antiques Roadshow.

Hope her surgery and recovery go well. Seems young, under fifty.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

My DVR recorded a bunch of new episodes this past weekend.  I noticed that in every single show, they stand the winning team on Lara's right (our left, as viewers).  Kind of lets the air out of the suspense once you crack that code.

In other news, I don't know how I survived the entire first half of my life in NYC without a bar cart.  Hipsters must drink a lot more than my people ever did.

ETA:  Just watched the last of about ten episodes I recorded.  And of course in the very last one, the winners were on her other side.  For the sole purpose of making me look like a dope.

Edited by Mondrianyone
The exception that proves the rule
  • Love 7
On 6/7/2016 at 7:51 PM, JasminePhyllisia said:

After all, most folks go to flea markets to buy the vintage furniture in its original shape either to rehab it on their own, or if it's in decent condition, just to clean up and use.

I love flea market shopping for that reason, I want to find decent things at a decent price that I can fix and use or just clean up and use. I live in a part of the country with great flea markets and great prices. But mostly I buy things to repurpose in my doll house rooms (1/4 scale, not the usual 1/12 or 1/6 Barbie scales). I love old, wooden jewelry boxes, they work beautifully. I used to watch this show on PBS and was amazed by what people did and then tried to resell. Since I gave up satellite tv, I wouldn't mind if they brought this one back to PBS Create.

I noticed she also got in the way of a flipper, who was also a professional with a resale shop, who that was really lowballing the swap meet seller. It was like she didn't want him to cheat the seller and the flipper ended up paying more for the item because she got involved. I thought wow, not cool Laura.

It also bugs me when the flipper takes the deal to fast. Asking for another $5-20 would probably not kill the sale and might push the flipper to the win. Same in the reverse when they buy. I think it was the same guy from above that did that when he bought and sold. Smart.

• Love 1

I love this stupid show!  I'd like to see some sort of award (like $5 added to the net profit) for the team that adheres to the project's theme the best.  Some of the things teams come up with are really stretching it. 

I've been recording scads of back episodes lately, and I saw two completely different teams make a lamp out of an old hood-style hairdryer.  Both were hideous.

The "fixers" are the unsung heroes of this show.  I love when they let the mask drop and give the teams a "You want to do WHAT?  Are you HIGH?" look.

• Love 8

Wow, that chandelier sounds awful. Croquet mallets? Really?  I'm kind of bummed that I missed that one. 

I caught an episode today and I agree that Lara needs to stay out of it.  A couple couldn't figure out what to buy so she comes along and says "why don't you buy this and turn it into that" and that's exactly what they did.  I don't remember her doing that kind of thing so much in early episodes.  This episode had two women who spray painted vinyl chairs but the chairs were too sticky from the paint so they pulled them and didn't try to sell them.  Has anybody ever pulled a project before? 

Some of the things the people make are really nice and have me wanting to make the same thing but the majority  of the projects are terrible in my opinion. 

I watched a recent episode (the one with the two Shaunas) and, during the buying portion, Lara did almost everything short negotiating the price and paying.  She pointed out items and talked about what they could do with them, and suggested they do a bundle to get a better deal.

If she is going to have this much input, they should change the format of the show and have a pair of flippers compete against Lara and change the name to "Beat Lara Spencer" (or maybe "Can you Flip Lara Off?")

• Love 6

The episode with the teams from the Jersey Shore (the place, not the reality show) was quite good, I thought.  Both teams seemed to have areas of real expertise, Lara didn't get too involved in choosing their purchases or negotiating for them, the end products were all nice-looking and functional, and I actually learned something (the technique for creating those branch patterns in wood by using baking soda and electricity, which I thought came out looking beautiful).  The team members were funny and nice to each other, very little fake trash talking.  More like this one and I'll be very happy!

• Love 5

I agree. This was a good episode and she didn't get too involved with the purchases. That wood technique was fascinating. Hoping for more flippers who have original ideas like this! The guys' coffee table was my favorite. 

• Love 3

The wood technique was pretty cool and I loved the final look of it. Those guys were also super nice.  Liked all the contestants.

They really showed early episodes in L.A.  The prices were way higher (maybe because they could do large items for L.A. apartments) but the prize money was lower ($1500).  Interesting to see all the changes that have been made.  But I could tell the L.A. version was loaded with actors posing as buyers. Looking at you man who bough the conga drum table.

• Love 1

I was watching that new show Speechless a couple weeks ago, and the family has one of those hood-hairdryers-turned-lamp in their living room!  I wonder if it originated on FMF, or if there truly is nothing new under the sun (e.g., I swear I've seen two different teams make fish tank coffee tables out of bathtubs...).

• Love 1

Saw a recent episode where they turned a dresser into a table.  They replaced the front of the dresser with tabletop.  and then put it on hydraulics so that it could be opened with a remote.  When the tabletop was down, it looked just like a dresser - Which means that when it was set up as a table, the table top wasn't flat - it had 6-8 knobs sticking up, plus the drawer fronts. It would difficult to eat off of it.  The woman who bought it said she did because it was one of a kind. She was right, but sometimes things are one of a kind because it is a stupid idea. She also marveled at the amount of storage there was in the dresser carcass, but failed to realize that the only way to get to all that storage is to crawl under the table.

• Love 9
On 11/7/2016 at 5:47 PM, needschocolate said:

She was right, but sometimes things are one of a kind because it is a stupid idea.

Ha! I'm going to attempt to use this statement at some point in the near future. I'm thinking that it won't be too hard to find something at work that will apply. 

• Love 2

Been watching a Flea Market Flip marathon for hours now and it just keeps getting funnier. I thought the best (worst) project so far was the Tulle Skirt Lamp but now on another episode these people are making a "chandelier" out of old croquet mallets. 

• Love 5

This week's episode has mother & son teams and I'm pretty sure the son on the losing team was just there so his mother could compete. In all of the shop shots, the mother is working on the items while the son stands there like a bump on a log.

I always wonder why some contestants are allowed to ignore the "Flip List". There was one episode where the theme was Steam Punk. One couple made a really nice table out of old airplane parts as their project. It was super cool and fun, but Steam Punk it definitely was not.

The other two made a hideous jewelry box / clock thing with antlers. It was steam punk and it didn't sell.

Why do producers allow this? It's cheating to just ignore the flip list and do what you want. Part of the game is having the talent to be flexible, and creative enough to complete the flip list.

I've seen them do this a few times. Why have a project list and then just look the other way if contestants don't comply?

And why does Lara help some couples and not others? I have seen her take a team by the hand and say,"buy that". Then she negotiates the price for them! And later, she's giving advice about restoration. "Hmm, do you really think green is the way to go? I'd stick to natural wood."

Big surprise, the "pet" team wins!

Lately, it's been a little more even, but sometimes, you just know she has a favorite.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/27/2017 at 3:41 PM, Hockeymom said:

I always wonder why some contestants are allowed to ignore the "Flip List". There was one episode where the theme was Steam Punk. One couple made a really nice table out of old airplane parts as their project. It was super cool and fun, but Steam Punk it definitely was not.

The other two made a hideous jewelry box / clock thing with antlers. It was steam punk and it didn't sell.

Why do producers allow this? It's cheating to just ignore the flip list and do what you want. Part of the game is having the talent to be flexible, and creative enough to complete the flip list.

I've seen them do this a few times. Why have a project list and then just look the other way if contestants don't comply?

And why does Lara help some couples and not others? I have seen her take a team by the hand and say,"buy that". Then she negotiates the price for them! And later, she's giving advice about restoration. "Hmm, do you really think green is the way to go? I'd stick to natural wood."

Big surprise, the "pet" team wins!

Lately, it's been a little more even, but sometimes, you just know she has a favorite.

I always thought there should be some sort of judging of Flip List interpretation, with say a $5 advantage on the net profit as the incentive.  I agree, some folks really stretch it.  I'm not sure who would judge, though, since, as you point out, Lara does have her favorites.  The fixers also have some stake in the game, so they're out, and the 30-min format doesn't give enough time to introduce a neutral third party.  Hmmmm.

I also agree that that jewelry box thing with the antlers was absolutely HIDEOUS.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 2

I think the lists are general guidelines so the contestants are on somewhat equal footing and aren't having to come up with design ideas on their own, but they're vague enough that almost anything will fit. Most people don't really have a clue what Steam Punk is, so anything with gears/industrial parts probably covers it.

On one of the Flips I watched recently, Lara was negotiating a sale for one team, I think she needs to step back, way back.

I tend to doubt that Lara cares about either team one way or the other. She probably spends a grand total of 3 hours with them, not nearly enough to get attached. What we see is an even smaller portion of that. I don't really develop an opinion of relationships in that amount of time. 

As for the list, I have never felt that anyone went so far off the brief that it violated the spirit of the rules. 

9 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

She probably spends a grand total of 3 hours with them, not nearly enough to get attached. What we see is an even smaller portion of that. I don't really develop an opinion of relationships in that amount of time. 

Heck, I can make a lifelong friend in a minute! Maybe Lara doesn't care about them personally, and I don't think they're going out for drinks after, but she does help some more than others. Maybe to keep the show interesting, who knows.

I loved the manhole cover side tables in this episode. The stretcher coffee table was cute too. The shutter corner storage, not so much.

• Love 1

The pieces on this episode weren't bad at all, but my jaw dropped when the ice box bar sold for $725! Well done! And yet again, Lara interjects when the one couple were trying to sell their kitchen island. Leave them alone and let them sink or swim.

i wish I could kidnap those master craftsmen for a week. They can do anything!

MY DVR, bless it, cut off both the very beginning and the very end of tonight's show.  So I don't know, but I'm guessing that these "celebs" were playing for charity?  I also missed the intros, so I didn't know who the actresses were.

I used to watch Katie Brown's show a million years ago.  She totally disappeared off the radar (or maybe just my radar?), so it was strange suddenly seeing her again.  She didn't seem to know much about how to use any of the tools, which was odd for a DIY expert.

Tonight I actually paid attention to the flip list, and it did seem pretty optional.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 1

Well, they didn't mention anything about it. But they did mention George Stephanopoulos a lot, and even slip in a Cameo. He offered to just buy everything if it would help the wife's team.

When they sprinted off to shop, Ali told Lara that George would be mean to her if their team didn't win. Lest anyone forget - Ali is married to George. Not even two minutes in, and she has to make sure everyone knows.

Heaven forbid Ali ever makes an appearance anywhere, and doesn't play the George card. We get it. You are married to George. Now go sell that ugly table.

• Love 3

Okay, since no one else is here, a few random thoughts on the most recent episode (mother/daughter vs. mother/son):

It's a law of the universe that whenever someone on a team claims to be a master haggler/super negotiator, that person will without fail either accept the first price the seller throws out or counter with some ridiculously insignificant lower price, like $2 less on a $100 item.  (Or as in tonight's show, in addition to the rule mentioned above, Lara will do the negotiating or the seller will bargain against himself.)  Most of these contestants couldn't dicker their way out of a paper bag.

And Lara still needs to back the F up.  What she's doing is totally not in the spirit of hosting a game show--i.e., bargaining with a seller, finding a team a particular item, telling contestants exactly what to do with a piece.  It's like if Alex Trebek were to answer for a player on Jeopardy!  She also needs to stop calling the show Flea Market Flep.  Or I wish she would.

Please make it against the rules for contestants to say that the other team is "going down!"  I may have to take a chain saw to my TV if I hear that one more time.

I liked the gray-and-white fabric the mother/daughter team used on their chairs, but the coppery paint job was a little weird.  And I wonder why the seller of those chairs sold the same pair to one team for $8 and the other for $1.  That seemed sketchy.

I'm sure there were other things, but I can't remember them now.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And I wonder why the seller of those chairs sold the same pair to one team for $8 and the other for $1.  That seemed sketchy.

I noticed that too!

The son and daughter from each team should go out for drinks after the show. He was cute and so nice to help his mom. Clearly, it was her thing and he was being supportive. The daughter was pretty and nice as well.  They would be a cute couple.

I didn't care much for any of the projects. The ironing board bar looked rickety and the gold screw table was atrocious! And how about the guy who sat in the chair, put his dirty feet all the ottoman, and then said he couldn't make an offer? Move it along, buddy!

• Love 1
On 3/20/2017 at 8:03 AM, Hockeymom said:

And I wonder why the seller of those chairs sold the same pair to one team for $8 and the other for $1.  That seemed sketchy.

I noticed that the $1 chairs didn't actually match (they were similar but not exact match), the $8 did.

I saw the rerun referred to upthread w/ the Brooklyn hipsters who hung lights from the ladder. They were professionals I guess, but I hated all their projects. They didn't really do anything. Compared to the other team of women that maybe tried to transform too much. The ladder was cool by itself and maybe that was the point, keep it in as much original state as possible but then they're just re-sellers and that's not the point of the show.  Ugh. 

Does anyone know - do they film multiple episodes at 1 day's flea market? Seems arbitrary to have only an hour to shop if they don't.

12 hours ago, Refresh said:

Does anyone know - do they film multiple episodes at 1 day's flea market? Seems arbitrary to have only an hour to shop if they don't.

I think they do. I see the same items in the stalls for sale. I only notice because it's something I wish they would buy. Sometimes, the vendors are wearing the same clothes. One guy was wearing a T-shirt with a written saying on it. It took me two different episodes to read the entire thing!

And the hour to shop in such a huge venue seems silly. Clearly, they have a section of the Flea Market marked out for contestants. Otherwise, how, in such a large space, with hundreds of vendors, do they somehow end up visiting the same ones repeatedly?

Edited by Hockeymom
One more thing...
  • Love 1
On 3/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, Hockeymom said:

And the hour to shop in such a huge venue seems silly. Clearly, they have a section of the Flea Market marked out for contestants. Otherwise, how, in such a large space, with hundreds of vendors, do they somehow end up visiting the same ones repeatedly?

I would hope that they get to wander around the flea some and check things out, outside of the 1 hour shopping. If not just for themselves!

On 3/27/2017 at 8:25 PM, Refresh said:

Yes they do. I read a lady's 2 part article (she never did get the 3rd part up) on it. She said they film more then one in a day and the teams that aren't filming first are allowed time to walk around ahead of filming to look. They can't buy anything or talk to sellers though. While the first team is given a short time to look around. This is a lady that was on a winning team. IMO after reading about how it was, it just seems like more of a hassle than its worth. Fun to watch though. 

10 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Yes they do. I read a lady's 2 part article (she never did get the 3rd part up) on it. She said they film more then one in a day and the teams that aren't filming first are allowed time to walk around ahead of filming to look. They can't buy anything or talk to sellers though. While the first team is given a short time to look around. This is a lady that was on a winning team. IMO after reading about how it was, it just seems like more of a hassle than its worth. Fun to watch though. 

I read the comments after part 2 of her article and she responded to someone asking about part 3 by saying that the pictures are on her laptop which is under repair and she would post once she got her laptop back.  That was posted on March 14th so I'll keep checking back because I'm also interested in day 3.  Seems like the contestants get an awful lot of suggestions and help from the pros that help them put their pieces together.

10 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

I read the comments after part 2 of her article and she responded to someone asking about part 3 by saying that the pictures are on her laptop which is under repair and she would post once she got her laptop back.  That was posted on March 14th so I'll keep checking back because I'm also interested in day 3.  Seems like the contestants get an awful lot of suggestions and help from the pros that help them put their pieces together.

I've done the same thing too with checking here and there since I found it. I was curious to hear about the rest of it and how it was. Agree they do seem to get a lot of help during the whole thing. More then we see on the show. 

Last night's losing team lost by $80. They were pressured by Lara to spend $75 on turkey feeders, which they turned into butt-ugly lamps, which didn't sell. 

The winning team made a coffee table using a large picture frame and some legs recommended by the seller. They filled the frame with earth-tone tiles and put on a glass top. I really liked it, but I have too many grandchildren running around to own it. I wonder how much a piece of plexi-glass would be.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:45 AM, Koalagirl said:

Part 3 is up. Thank you for finding the blog!

• Love 3

I saw that. I feel like her first 2 parts gave us more details and this piece not so much on. I don't know if its just because they sold the 2 pieces so quickly or what. I would have like to know if its Lara's idea to jump in and help or producers. As well as the people that come up and how that all was....did producers have a hand in that, Lara, they just come up on their own or a mix of it all depending on where they are in selling? I left reading it feeling as if she was selling me her stuff though and wanting me to go buy stuff. So it did leave a good feeling for me after that last piece. I know she pushes that but it was such a big blip at the end and it felt like a rushed piece. I do appreciate she did write about the time with the show though. It was sweet the show gave them lemonade for their anniversary.