Type keyword(s) to search

Flea Market Flip - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love this show! I live in PA near a town that has an "antiques extravaganza" a couple times a year.  My friends and I go on laughing jags in pointing to an old book or a doll and saying how it could be "re-purposed into a bar cart!"

Speaking of which,  I have two! One in my dining room holds wine glasses,  and the other in my living room is a TV stand. Both were inexpensive "collectibles" finds (at fairs,  not the city dump! ?)!

I don't mind the NYC-centric restrictions.  Better a small than an out-sized hybrid monstrosity! I liked the three NYC flea markets (where FLF likes to sell) I've been to: Chelsea; Hell's  Kitchen; and the erstwhile Green Flea, now Grand Bazarr. I go for "smalls." 

I love the FMF marathons,  also! Next one is 4/25/18.

Finally,  a shout-out to Lara Spencer,  fellow Nittany Lion: We.  ARE! ?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, edie3 said:

I wonder where she gets her clothes.  I really like some of them.

She certainly knows how to show off her long nice legs!

I love her necklaces.  She has several that I have coveted for YEARS. 

• Love 1

I wish they'd have a show where the flippers are not allowed to make a bar cart.  I'm so sick of seeing them.  Of course, that's probably because I tend to only watch the marathons, and not weekly, so after seeing 10 shows at once it's glaring.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I wish they'd have a show where the flippers are not allowed to make a bar cart.  I'm so sick of seeing them.  Of course, that's probably because I tend to only watch the marathons, and not weekly, so after seeing 10 shows at once it's glaring.

I had that exact same thought! In a fit of pique, I wanted the rules to state that none of the items created could be a bar cart. Alas, the fates were not on my side and the show I was watching had the de rigueur two.

• Love 6
On 8/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, aquarian1 said:

I DVR them and binge watch a bunch in a row when nothing else is on so I have the same issue.  Lara practically forces bar carts on them in some of the later seasons when she's "helping" them shop and makes her suggestions. I wish that the super early seasons were available on Hulu or on HGTV.  I feel reasonably certain I've seen some of the episodes more than 3 times but I'm also reasonably certain I've not seen seasons 1 - 3. 

• Love 3

Being in the entertainment industry does not make you a "celebrity". I would be shocked if even 1% of the population would recognize the name or face of: Ali Wentworth, Isabel Gillies or Clea Lewis. Maybe the HGTV crowd has heard of Katie Brown, but even that's a stretch.

Just bing watched this show yesterday on my DVR.  Have some more to watch too.  Where has this show been all my life?!? 

I'm really enjoying it.  I can't believe what a slap of paint and new knob pulls can do to dark 1970s furniture.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

I'm really enjoying it.  I can't believe what a slap of paint and new knob pulls can do to dark 1970s furniture.

Some of the stuff they do turns out really beautiful and ingenious. Others turns out to be yet another bar cart made out of an existing cart or out of a suitcase... I really wish they'd show Seasons 1 - 3.  I feel like I've seen 9 - 11 many times. 

• Love 2

I'm watching the Gilbert Gottfried episode right now and I think Lara's suggestion of the blue strip one the coffee table is stupid.  I don't like how it looks at all.  It's not "fun".  It looks like someone painted a blue stripe on this old weathered wood.  

Comedian episode: I 💖loved💖 that temperature coffee table, though I undoubtedly would break the glass within one week of owning it, which is why I don't buy glass coffee tables.

Bracco vs. Shue: I was shocked at how well the designs of the Bracco sisters turned out. They really thought outside the box by turning things upside down and insisting on keep a round item sitting upright rather than flat for a table. I liked the break with convention.

I think the carpentry team just learned how to do antiqued glass because that's been in the last three episodes, sometimes used by both teams.

Edited by Zanne

The thing that I really despise on this show is when the contestants say things about the other contestant. “They’re going down!” “They don’t stand a chance against us!” “They might as well go home right now! We’ve got this!!” I realize this is producer driven so I don’t blame the contestants at all. I just wish the producers knew that not everyone is so rude and snotty and competitive as to be hateful to the others. How about saying “ This will be fun and we wish the other contestants good luck. But we do hope to win ourselves”.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

The thing that I really despise on this show is when the contestants say things about the other contestant. “They’re going down!” “They don’t stand a chance against us!” “They might as well go home right now! We’ve got this!!” I realize this is producer driven so I don’t blame the contestants at all. I just wish the producers knew that not everyone is so rude and snotty and competitive as to be hateful to the others. How about saying “ This will be fun and we wish the other contestants good luck. But we do hope to win ourselves”.

The first season episodes were extremely polite. I saw a marathon a while back and it was so shocking to hear the contestants wish each other well and praise the other team's work. I really enjoyed the civility of it all.

• Love 5

I think this is another gig that Lara Spencer lost. She seems to do a lot of things that don't last too long. I'm not even sure she's on GMA. Is she? She was usually stuck doing the puff stories and pop culture.

Binging this, it's fun to watch and/or have on in the background.  However, it makes me very sick of hearing the words "pop of color" and "profit".

ETA:  I get inspired with house projects and then realize I don't have a full workroom with tools and experts, LOL. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, raven said:

ETA:  I get inspired with house projects and then realize I don't have a full workroom with tools and experts, LOL. 

Same... And probably the patience or skill either. 🙂 Although I did use the techniques I learned watching this show to recover a cheap Target storage ottoman that my dog chewed up the lid for. I've always wished they would show the really early seasons.  They seem to only show from season 4/5 on and not 1 - 3.

• Love 1