Type keyword(s) to search

Flea Market Flip - General Discussion

• Start Topic

She's such a bad match for this show. What value does a celebrity gossiper add? The fact that she knows how to use that delivery voice and cadence that every celebrity gossiper uses? Hire someone who can do more than point to an iPad where a PA found a similar item on eBay.

Why aren't the costs of refurbishing the items deducted from the profits? They're adding materials and using skilled craftsmen -- and I'm not talking about basic items like paint. For example, the stockbrokers bought the vases for $30 (I think) but had the glass drilled professionally and then added new lampshades, new lucite bases, electrical wiring and lightbulbs. They sold for $100, but you can't count $70 as "profit."

• Love 4
(edited)

Never had much luck raising interest in this show (tried once in Genre Talk), but it's worth noting that this actually has started up again - the two episodes my DVR recorded yesterday were in fact new, and commercials in the hour said it would be new next Sunday as well.  What's not new - same old hipsters, same pro crew doing all the work, same people with more money than taste wandering around NYC dropping hundreds on apparently just about anything.  And same skinny Lara butting her nose in where she's not needed, which has gotten worse over the years,  Lara, come over with me and have a funnel cake, and let the poor contestants alone.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 4

I love this show, so I'm glad to hear they're still making new episodes--thanks, Totale. I caught a few episodes I hadn't seen before in a marathon on GAC on Saturday and they were teasing new episodes, but I wasn't sure if they were really new or just "new to GAC."

As I remember there were two seasons cabled on another channel before it came to GAC.  When GAC first started to show it they showed all the old ones but had about six mixed in (with the initial shop at Brimfield rather than Elephant's) that hadn't been seen before.  It was either in those new ones or in the first batch they made that were originally shown on GAC that they added the bit of giving them another $100 to spend before the build.  I'm pretty sure I've seen all the ones shown up to now, and last night's were definitely first run, whether or not they were newly made.  They probably were, it's gotta be cheap to produce except for Lara.

I just don't get the concept.  They buy junk, turn it into different kind of junk and expect to sell junk for $$$.  I thought the whole idea of flea market shopping was getting junk for cheap, not spending $$$ on something.  And their booth with only 3 items to sell, and a camera crew??  Way obvious.  I'm really surprised this show is still on.

same old hipsters, same pro crew doing all the work, same people with more money than taste wandering around NYC dropping hundreds on apparently just about anything.

This is how I'd break down the show too....and yet I still find it amusing to watch?  It's weird!  I guess when I really think about it, it's because I'm fascinated by how stupid some of the creations are and then confused when someone actually pays big bucks to own them.  There are some cool moments too; I did like the wooden door that was turned into a bookshelf that looked like a tree.  Pretty creative, usable and attractive.  Most of the stuff though I can't picture going into anyone's home, regardless of their style.  And the fact that people walk around a flea market with $500 in their pocket to spend on an ugly, little painted shelf boggles my mind.      

• Love 2

I heard Lara say shopping at Flea markets is a love of hers. Didn't she have another show where she helped people decorate their homes? I think she probably pitched her hobby/interest and got a show out of it.

• Love 2

I'm fascinated with this show and have gotten some good ideas.  I've re-done some old pieces I've acquired through family.  They do look great after - but seriously it's just not that difficult to sand down and re-paint stuff.  The major rework with tools - sure that's another story.  I get that for small apartment city dwellers, they have no space to do projects, but some of the prices they pay shock me.   I mean, they've been walking around the flea market and must realize how cheap everything starts at.

The thing that's bugging me is that one couple from an episode bought a pair of 50's chairs that I swear I saw another couple from another episode walk by! I noticed because I really liked the chairs - they were a distinctive design. It was the same booth.  So do they film multiple eps in a day and have a pre-selected area for filming purposes?  Any if you notice anything like this? 

I saw those chairs! They must film more than one in a day. Or the chairs were unsold and brought back to the flea market another time.

• Love 1

I enjoy a lot about this show.  Every once in a while, a team will do something really creative, and that's fun to watch.

It does bug me when they talk about "reupholstering" a piece when what they actually mean is putting new fabric on it.  I took many sessions of upholstery classes in adult ed, and what these people do isn't reupholstering.

They definitely must film multiple episodes at each flea market.  It wouldn't make financial sense for them not to.

It has occurred to me more than once that if a team is open to cheating, they could easily have a friend or family member show up and spend $500 on some hideous creation and then pay it back out of the $5K they win.  That's the only explanation I can come up with for some of the things I've seen purchased for the crazy amounts they get (or for any amount at all).

But I like seeing things like old farm implements or industrial equipment and learning what it was for.  And I like seeing the haggling process, when it's done well--which it isn't always.  I guess I just like vicarious flea-ing.

• Love 4

I like Lara more than not.  She obviously has a personal interest in flea markets/yard sales/antiques/refurbishing/decorating (she's published at least one book on the subject).  Plenty of times she's managed to talk some team of idiots out of completely destroying a beautiful old piece of furniture by cutting it up or sponge painting it or committing some other atrocity.  Not often enough, but she clearly is in this for more than just another hosting job.

• Love 5

I would love to go to these yard sales they use. The stuff looks awesome. Granted, a lot of it could be staged but there does seem to be thousands of vendors there. So, the odds have to better than the neighborhood yards sale, right? Unfortunately, I'm in Philly and most the ones they show are upstate and in Connecticut or somewhere up there. LOL!!!!

Seriously, what's stopping a team having their friends by their junk? That said, I enjoy the show. It's great Saturday morning before you start your day mindless television. LOL!!! The show has been for a while now so I'm not sure why someone would pay the high prices considering they it was bogus for $10. The day bed (makeover) was ugly and can be bought anywhere for cheap. Why would someone spend $$$$$$ when you could by the same thing for new? The retro bar was interesting with the turn table sides. Unfortunately, the painted the inside white and covers up the nice wood.

• Love 1

For fans of the show it looks like it's now been flipped back to (arguably marginally higher class) HGTV from sister Scripps network GAC.  It's the hardest show to make an accurate episode guide of outside of Chopped, but they dumped a bunch of episodes I hadn't seen out last Sunday and it looks like there's some more coming up.  On Tivo, some of the newer ones I saw on GAC are identified as "Season 4" and some of the ones coming up either say that or have no episode information given. 

It has occurred to me more than once that if a team is open to cheating, they could easily have a friend or family member show up and spend $500 on some hideous creation and then pay it back out of the $5K they win.  That's the only explanation I can come up with for some of the things I've seen purchased for the crazy amounts they get (or for any amount at all).

I hope those who make the show are smart enough to come up with ways that people can't have their friends come by and buy - like not letting the flippers know where they will be selling until they get there and monitor their cell phone usage.  

I get the feeling that some people will pay (a lot) extra because the person who buys it always gets to be on TV (I would not be one of them, I would be exactly the opposite - not buying something because I wouldn't want to be on TV).

• Love 2

Why aren't the costs of refurbishing the items deducted from the profits? They're adding materials and using skilled craftsmen -- and I'm not talking about basic items like paint. For example, the stockbrokers bought the vases for $30 (I think) but had the glass drilled professionally and then added new lampshades, new lucite bases, electrical wiring and lightbulbs. They sold for $100, but you can't count $70 as "profit."

I agree I have rewired lamps, added shades, bulbs, etc and end up spending $50 at least on those items!

In fact my last project cost way more than just buying a new lamp.

I watched this show at first because I love flea markets. I stopped because I couldn't get over all the 'buyers' paying ridiculous prices for handmade/refurbished items.

Buyer: 'how much do you want for that painted stool ?

Sellers: $150

Buyer: will you tale $130 "

Sellers: $145

Buyer: Deal

Sigh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• LOL 1

Some woman on one of Sunday's shows paid over $600 for a plain cowhide bench that wasn't even that sturdy. Another paid $700 for a buffet that had been painted silver (from the same seller). I'd never seen anything more ridiculous.

• Love 1

This show drives me crazy. I love watching it, but it's pure fantasy. I'm annoyed when the sellers ask a potential buyer to make an offer, and the buyer immediately says (for example), "$450." To which the seller replies, "How about $475 and it's a deal?" Why do the potential buyers throw out such a large number?! You're at a flea market. Bid low first thing, especially if they're asking what you're willing to pay!

• Love 1

Came across the end of this show "You May Now Flip The Bride"  I'm now convinced that this show  ' is a put on'

Sellers bought a push cart wine table originally for $30. spray painted it gold (didn't see what else was done to it) and listed it at  $340 ( ? )

Buyer: will you take $140 ?

Seller: I'll take $145

Buyer: I'll take it for $145.   Didn't bat an eye at the price

Same kinda thing with the other sellers.   People just walking around the flea market spending hundreds of dollars on crap that cost  $10, 20 at the most.

Huih?

Just an episode with former pop star Tiffany. She bought a hand painted rocking chair for $420. She said it would go great her her boutique.

The chair was originally bought  for $65.00.  The 'team' painted a mural on the back & seat of the chair.

I am with all of you who believe there are "plants" on this show...and I also think many people pay some of those prices just to get themselves on TV.  I do love to watch the show however, just to see what they make out of the stuff.  No way do I think many of them would get anywhere without the experts they have to do all the real work on the pieces.

I have learned a lot of stuff from the experts while they are trying to help some of these people turn their visions into reality.  Love the guy who does most of the welding, and the upholstery guy the most, although ALL of them are so talented.

• Love 1

Does anyone know how much time passes between buying the stuff and reselling it after the makeovers? In the new episode today, Lara was in a tank top and shorts at the first flea market, and they were bundled into coats and hoodies and looked like they were half frozen at the sale, which didn't go well because of the cold weather! It was very distracting to watch!

Does anyone know how much time passes between buying the stuff and reselling it after the makeovers? In the new episode today, Lara was in a tank top and shorts at the first flea market, and they were bundled into coats and hoodies and looked like they were half frozen at the sale, which didn't go well because of the cold weather! It was very distracting to watch!

My guess is that they film a batch of episodes buying at a flea market (so they have a bunch of teams shopping on the same day).  Then the teams come back later and work of their stuff on separate days because they use the same professionals (the workshop is probably close to the Good Morning America studio so Lara can stop by and put in her two cents), then they film a batch of episode at a different flea market, with multiple teams selling their stuff.  I would think that they try to mix it up so that not everyone that bought and Brimsfield  sells at the Brooklyn Flea, to lessen the chance that teams figure out where they are selling and have their friends come by and buy. So there could be quite a few weeks between when they buy and when they sell. 

But that is just a guess on my part.  It could also be that it was an unseasonably warm day at the buying location, and an unseasonably cold day at the selling location two days later. 

• Love 1

I don't watch this show much, but I'm up early and watching it. This time there was a team, Patricia & Gail, who priced their items very high and dressed up looking ridiculous at a flea market to sell their high-end wares. The other team was Devin & Tom, they were asses. Patricia & Gail had a cowhide bench, a silver buffet, and a sparkly light fixture. There was no doubt as long as Patricia & Gail sold their stuff for anywhere close to what they were asking they would win. Now, they sold their cowhide bench to someone, but before the sale was complete, a guy on the other team came over and suggested more people sit down on the bench at once to see if it would break. WTF??? There were already 2 women sitting on the bench. If the people buying it determine they are good with what they see and what they feel is sturdy enough, similar to shopping in the store, then good luck to them. I can't believe that was allowed. If I sat 3 people on a bench in the store, it would break as well, most aren't weighted for 500+ pounds. Devin & Tom weren't going to win this won (I've never seen such a huge loss - $1440 vs $620), but if they had, I really hope they would have disqualified them at the end. Doesn't seem fair at all that trying to sabotage a sale in that manner should be allowed. If he had come over and tried to say, hey, we have a great bench too, want to come take a look, think that's all fair in a flea market context, but what he did hit much lower than that. 

• Love 1

So I so another episode and again I was confused, but this time it's probably more about the rules. Are the teams required to sell all the items they create? Like is there a penalty for not selling them? Because in the episode I saw, well, in the 15 minutes I saw, there was one team that sold all of their stuff at a relatively low profit. The other team, they struggled selling their stuff, but the first thing they sold, which sold early and wasn't a desperate time crunch sale, was enough for them to have won the challenge between the two teams. But instead, they sold their other two items at a loss. I was confused. I've seen people reject offers on here, so it stands to reason it's not required for you to take any offer just cause it's the only one you're getting. But I'm not sure if there's a penalty for having items remaining. It seems to me these teams should never be selling at a loss just to get rid of the items. I hope I'm missing something and there's a built in penalty for not selling all 3 items.

So I so another episode and again I was confused, but this time it's probably more about the rules. Are the teams required to sell all the items they create? Like is there a penalty for not selling them? Because in the episode I saw, well, in the 15 minutes I saw, there was one team that sold all of their stuff at a relatively low profit. The other team, they struggled selling their stuff, but the first thing they sold, which sold early and wasn't a desperate time crunch sale, was enough for them to have won the challenge between the two teams. But instead, they sold their other two items at a loss. I was confused. I've seen people reject offers on here, so it stands to reason it's not required for you to take any offer just cause it's the only one you're getting. But I'm not sure if there's a penalty for having items remaining. It seems to me these teams should never be selling at a loss just to get rid of the items. I hope I'm missing something and there's a built in penalty for not selling all 3 items.

There is no additional penalty for not selling an item.  But they are penalized in that the cost of the item affects their net profit, so it is better to get some money, even if it is less than you paid, than to get no money for an item. 

For example,

Scenario 1: they purchase three items for $100 each, for a total of $300.  They sell one of their items for $500.  They don't sell the other two. 

They have collected $500, they paid $300, their net profit is $200. 

Scenario 2: Same situation (bought three items for $100 each, for a total of  $300), but this time, they sold one for $500, one for $50, and don't sell the third one.  They have collected $550, they paid $300, their net profit is $250.  

I think in the very early shows, they didn't take the cost into account.  Whichever team collected the most was the winner.  So, if a team spent all $500, and sold them for $900, they would win over a team that spent $100 on all three items and sold them for $800. Then they decided subtract the cost and base it on profit.  Then they decided that  they would give them an additional $100 (they always let them use fabric and paint, but they started telling us that they put a dollar amount on it).  I do not know if it is helpful if you don't spend he whole $100 for other stuff.

• Love 2

Hate Laara. Boring, run-of-the-mill, broadcaster who smiles too much at stupid, nonfunny stuff. I dont see any talent there, compared to the real old makeover artists like Christopher Lowell, or any others. 

The projects are painted crap with ridiculously high prices, the buyers which I suspect are just for the camera.  

The show would be better if they just walked a camera around the flea market so we cd see cool, original stuff.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Hate Laara. Boring, run-of-the-mill, broadcaster who smiles too much at stupid, nonfunny stuff. I dont see any talent there, compared to the real old makeover artists like Christopher Lowell, or any others. 

The projects are painted crap with ridiculously high prices, the buyers which I suspect are just for the camera.  

The show would be better if they just walked a camera around the flea market so we cd see cool, original stuff.

By now the buyers know about the show & what they (the designers) probably spent. So, I can't see spending $200-$300 dollars on these presented items. That said, today's "winners" won by $8. That's gotta be a record for this show. I actually didn't realize it was on. My DVR season pass taped it because it was new. I thought the show had been cancelled. LOL!!!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

My DVR season pass taped it because it was new. I thought the show had been cancelled. LOL!!!

There have been new ones on for several weeks now, my Tivo picked them up or I never would have known. But that's not to say they've been all that different.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 11:19 AM, Taylorh2 said:

Came across the end of this show "You May Now Flip The Bride"  I'm now convinced that this show  ' is a put on'

Sellers bought a push cart wine table originally for $30. spray painted it gold (didn't see what else was done to it) and listed it at  $340 ( ? )

Buyer: will you take $140 ?

Seller: I'll take $145

Buyer: I'll take it for $145.   Didn't bat an eye at the price

Same kinda thing with the other sellers.   People just walking around the flea market spending hundreds of dollars on crap that cost  $10, 20 at the most.

Huih?

So glad I found this board!  I recently discovered this show which is on near-constant marathons on GAC channel--if you have this on your cable and you missed any seasons, you can catch up anytime here.

Glad it's not just me making all these observations--I'm so on the same page as many of the posters here.

RE: the exchange above.  Here's what I see in the first round of buying:

Contestant: Will you take $80?

Seller:  Can't go less than $90

Contestant: How about $85?

Seller: Deal!

Always those exact increments.  Best scene was where a kid about 12 was doing the bargaining from behind the table while his father looked on proudly.  Very cute!

I didn't get the memo we are all supposed to have bar carts.  These people, no matter what age, are so fixated on this item.  Are the producers steering them towards it?

The obligatory throwing shade at the other contestants scenes--ugh so scripted.

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 2

I think this show was originally on HGTV and nothing is lamer then HGTV trash talk.  On the flip side (ha), the people tend to be pretty nice.

This show should have a disclaimer, just because you buy crap at a flea market and put a coat of crappy spray paint does not mean you will easily sell it for ten times what you paid for it.

Bar carts seem to be a given for most of the shows.  Also the newly upholstered benches with Styrofoam and staples.

• Love 1
(edited)

Agreed qtpye. As somebody commented upthread, it seems suspicious so many buyers are willing to pay exorbitantly marked-up prices for these pieces, and maybe the excitement of being filmed is a draw for some of them.  After all, most folks go to flea markets to buy the vintage furniture in its original shape either to rehab it on their own, or if it's in decent condition, just to clean up and use. I get that creativity is an important element in the show, but I cringe when I see the contestants covering the natural beauty of a wood piece with a coat of red/white/black or orange paint.  Or decoupage using an old map (not creative.) 

I watched a recent episode where they fixed up an old Singer sewing table, and called my Mom since she has one that she inherited from her grandmother.  She DVR'd the show when it was on later that night and gave her seal of approval on the rehab of that piece because they stayed close to the original look and colors.  She thought the top coat of lacquered pennies was a little odd, but still said it was not as weird as some of the other things she saw that night (I got her hooked too!)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JasminePhyllisia said:

I get that creativity is an important element in the show, but I cringe when I see the contestants covering the natural beauty of a wood piece with a coat of red/white/black or orange paint.  Or decoupage using an old map (not creative.) 

Or that Godawful aqua blue that looks like the bottom of a pool from the 70s. When I go to flea markets, I see every single piece of "upcycled" crap painted in that color and it drives me insane. At this point I'd take orange just so my eye sockets could have a break from that horridly ugly blue.

• Love 2
(edited)

Saw another marathon last night. Two contestants reupholstered a wood bench which had a beautiful finish of two shades of wood.  They were planning to clean and restore the wood.  Along comes Lara to veto the idea, insisting they paint it because brown doesn't sell well but color does. She walks away and the two contestants ignore her advice, restoring the wood.  The piece comes out beautiful and sells right away!

• Love 2

Has anyone noticed first Lara started giving advise to contestants on how to refinish, then now she's haggling the sellers for them and helping sell to customers. She needs to back off and let them do their own work the way they want to. I feel she's destroying the premise of the show! You haggle to buy and sell.

• Love 5

I think some of the buyers are friends of the sellers. What else explains the guy who sold the bike table that was rickety?  Others I think just want to be on TV.

While it might seem outrageous that people are spending $100 on a nightstand that they could (in theory) pick up for $10 at a flea market and refurb themselves, this is NYC. They don't have backyards or basements where they can spray paint.  Nor do these buyers want to.  They also don't have access to the $10 an item flea markets.  The ones Lara takes them to are very far away --- hours in a car and most NYC residents don't own cars. It'd be an incredible investment of time and $ to go to Elephant's Trunk or Stormville for them and try to find something.  Much easier to go to LIC or Brooklyn Flea and spend a bit more (especially since sellers throw in free delivery often enough).

There used to be some cheap flea markets out in Suffolk County LI but they are long gone. Only cheap options are Salvation Army's outside of the boroughs.

• Love 2

I've noticed that thrift stores have become ridiculously pricy.  Flea markets have, too.  If you are looking to up cycle, find out what big junk day is (bulk pick up) for all the areas around you.  I've found quite a few items that way, especially rattan pieces.  Rattan is easy to paint and update, and is lightweight.  It just kills me when I see a great piece I don't need, because it's too large to haul.  I would love to have a storage unit for things like that for the future, or to sell.  

Some of the stuff they try to pawn off on this show is laughable, and yes, who are all these peoples who must have dressers converted into bars?  However, the mid century birch cabinet converted into a bar with the painted triangles on the doors from the marathon was really nice, and would have fetched the price they wanted for it in a resale shop.   They can keep the cowhide and Danish modern chairs, though.  Aldo anything made from a dress form that's not clothing related can go.  Especially the damn bars. Hipsters!

• Love 2

I was surprised to see Nancy Kerigan on the Olympic episode.  I think this was the episode where they stopped trying to pretend that any of this is the real.  The trash talk was so ridiculous everyone was cracking up.  Also Lara had the brilliant suggestion to change a storage cabinet into a....wait for it...portable bar.

I think Jim Beam must be secretly sponsoring this show and there is a requirement for one portable bar per episode.

• Love 2

I agree, Lab Lady.  Lara is getting too involved and it isn't fair.  She is a celebrity and when she starts haggling, sellers/buyers would probably be more likely to go along with what she asks.  I don'[t even like her giving advice.  I am fine with her speaking to the viewers - "That chair they bought sells online for $500 a piece, if it is in the original mahogany, but it looks like they plan to paint it, which will lower the value. When you flip furniture, it is a good idea to see what similar items go for online" - but don't tell the flippers.  

• Love 4

I suppose the reason why we see do many dressers/trunks/industrial storage cabinets turned into bars is because they often have to find a new purpose for something or transform something into something else or make something for a bachelor pad and there are not a lot of things that fit those descriptions - what else can you turn a dresser into? The other transformations/repurposings usually are turning something into a coffee table, an end table, or a nightstand, but those don't usually involve as much transforming, jsut cut off the legs and paint.   At least they seem to have gotten away from turning 2 chairs into a bench.  

I think the most ridiculous flips, in general,  are when they turn something into a light fixture.  Who is going use up space in their tiny NYC apartment for a light fixture that consists of a ladder with a couple of bulbs hanging from it.  It doesn't even make a good source of lighting. 

• Love 4
On 2/21/2016 at 6:45 AM, JasmineFlower said:

I don't watch this show much, but I'm up early and watching it. This time there was a team, Patricia & Gail, who priced their items very high and dressed up looking ridiculous at a flea market to sell their high-end wares. The other team was Devin & Tom, they were asses. Patricia & Gail had a cowhide bench, a silver buffet, and a sparkly light fixture. There was no doubt as long as Patricia & Gail sold their stuff for anywhere close to what they were asking they would win. Now, they sold their cowhide bench to someone, but before the sale was complete, a guy on the other team came over and suggested more people sit down on the bench at once to see if it would break. WTF??? There were already 2 women sitting on the bench. If the people buying it determine they are good with what they see and what they feel is sturdy enough, similar to shopping in the store, then good luck to them. I can't believe that was allowed. If I sat 3 people on a bench in the store, it would break as well, most aren't weighted for 500+ pounds. Devin & Tom weren't going to win this won (I've never seen such a huge loss - $1440 vs $620), but if they had, I really hope they would have disqualified them at the end. Doesn't seem fair at all that trying to sabotage a sale in that manner should be allowed. If he had come over and tried to say, hey, we have a great bench too, want to come take a look, think that's all fair in a flea market context, but what he did hit much lower than that. 

This is one of my favorite episodes and on now. I've been trying to catch it so my sister can see it. I actually liked all of their pieces, but was surprised they sold so high. I don't think I've seen another episode that got that much money.   I too thought the other team was out of line. That being said, the first time I caught this show a couple of years ago, there was a team of loud New Jersey guys that the other team gave a hard time.  They ended up helping the team that was being mean to them sale their items even though it was obvious they were going to win. Great attitudes and humble competitors.  I know they encourage some trash talk, but some people get WAY into it! 

18 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Patricia & Gail, who priced their items very high and dressed up looking ridiculous at a flea market to sell their high-end wares

I still remember these two "fashionista sisters".  They must be flipping savants, because all there pieces sold for huge profits.  It was uncanny.  I expected the next week flippers to show up in "top hats and tails", because the formal dressing strategy worked.

Even Lara was like "What the Hell"?