Type keyword(s) to search

Supersuits, Sets, and Special Effects: The Production Topic

Trini
  • Start Topic

VFX breakdown reel (of the crossover episode) from Encore; the breakdowns actually start 4 minutes in:

From VFX supervisor Armen Kevorkian: "Supergirl crossover was pretty much done in about 3 weeks start to finish. There was a lot of new asset creation and a lot of simulations with the flying wraiths."

Looks like some of the FanDome content will be put on youtube;

The SUPERGIRL Stunt Team’s Fitness Routine

Ever wonder how DC Super Heroes stay in shape? Join the SUPERGIRL stunt team, including stunt coordinator Simon Burnett and his crew — fight choreographer James Michalopoulos, Brainiac’s stunt double Adrian Persad, and Supergirl’s stunt double Jennifer Clarke — as they provide some fun superhero moves to stay fit for fighting, flying, or even perfecting that cool superhero landing!

Go to links to watch videos (active links on the DC FanDome site until 1:00pm ET today, Sep. 13)...

THE MAGICIANS OF VFX: MAKING SUPERGIRL AND SHAZAM! FLY - PANEL
https://www.dcfandome.com/schedule/insiderverse/5f343a57ad87080017244a8d?language=en

-- Panelists included Armen Kevorkian (Supergirl senior visual effects supervisor), Jesse Warn (Supergirl co-executive producer/director) and Jennifer Clarke (Melissa Benoist’s stunt double).

PROPPING UP A SET - PANEL
https://www.dcfandome.com/schedule/insiderverse/5f343a57ad87080017244a84?language=en

-- Panelists included Matthew Wilson (Supergirl).

CAPTURING THE ACTION IN STILL FRAME - PANEL
https://www.dcfandome.com/schedule/insiderverse/5f343a57ad87080017244a8a?language=en

-- Panelists included Katie Yu (Arrow, Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Batwoman unit stills photographer).

THE SUPER DESIGNERS BEHIND THE SUPER SUITS - PANEL
https://www.dcfandome.com/schedule/insiderverse/5f343a57ad87080017244a81?language=en

-- Panelists included four-time Academy Award®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood: "I've done a lot of pilots for The CW. I did the Flash, the Arrow, Supergirl and Batwoman for Berlanti Productions. So I've sort of just done the pilots for these things and then handed them off. And I've only done those characters' costumes and developed them for the first, you know, the first show out of the chute for all those."

-- Colleen Atwood talked about her process of adapting the Supergirl suit from the comics to TV and designing a Supergirl suit "for our time."  CA: "I think, for me, that was the year the Met Ball almost everybody was naked and it really annoyed me. And I was just like, you know, they all looked great and all that, but I was like, I'm going to dress Supergirl in a way that's sort of - not reactionary, but just in a way that's so classic that - that she works for any - any all seasons. So that was sort of my starting point with it. It wasn't like the bare midriff... She was actually clothed in the same kind of costume almost that a guy would have, but it was a woman's costume, without making it like an army thing or trousers or stuff. It still was feminine. It had a skirt. But I really wanted it to be strong and show her strength as a person, not just a super body. Because she was kinda the first one CW had done that was a woman, there was a lot of, you know, a lot of opinionate - uh, things. But I had total support, actually, from DC and the guys there on where I went with it and, you know, it evolved over the years, since it's been out. But - but it was a fun challenge and just getting it sort of classic and, you know, it could go wherever, like, almost like a fresh start."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Azie Tesfai Co-Writes Episode For Supergirl Final Season

Azie Tesfai, who stars as Kelly Olsen on the CW’s Supergirl, is doing double duty this season. She co-wrote, with supervising producer J. Holtham, episode 12 for the show’s upcoming sixth and final season.

Many actors have directed episodes on the series before, but this is the first time an actor has penned an episode for one of Greg Berlanti’s shows. David Ramsey (Arrow) is set to direct.

“I am so grateful to write for Supergirl‘s final season. It’s been such an honor to play Kelly Olsen, a BIPOC and queer character in the DC universe,” Tesfai said. “Working in our amazing writers room and co-writing an episode has been an immensely educational and empowering experience. Writing is such a passion for me and I’m excited to continue on this creative journey.”

ETA:

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Don't know if this is the right place for this but the Hollywood North.buzz woman indicated that they hadn't seen many location shoot signs for Supergirl this season. I wonder if they are being more cautious about location shoots due to Covid or if Melissa Benoist's absence was the reason for that? 

ETA: Ken at Pursuit23 on twitter did indicate that Supergirl is limiting location shoots, apparently more so than the other shows. He said its difficult to get into on twitter but Covid plays a part in that. 

Edited by Oreo2234

https://ew.com/tv/supergirl-azie-tesfai-teases-writing-episode/

To prepare for the script, Tesfai spent a little over a month in the show's now-virtual writers room. "I did the 9 to 5 on Zoom with everyone, so I realized I probably like a 9 to 5 [job] more than I thought," she said. "I think [we're] on the fifth round of draft notes right now. So it's been really exciting."

... So, I think to have such a well-balanced [group] between me, J., who I'm writing the episode with, and David Ramsey, I think fans will feel really excited and hopefully seen and heard."

• Love 2

As much as I would like to see a crossover of some sort before the series ends, it hasn't escaped me that Melissa has a new baby at home.  As Kevin Smith has said, Number One on the call sheet sets the tone for any production, and by all accounts she has been a pure delight to work with for 5 seasons.  If she feels she needs to use some of that goodwill to say "I really need for this to be a bubble as much as possible so I don't bring anything home to Huxley," more power to her.

• Love 3

Agreed. I hope that the series finale leaves enough of a window open for Kara or other characters to make occasional guest-starring appearances on other Arrowverse shows down the line, but I completely understand not doing a crossover this year. As much as I love Kara and Barry's friendship, I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I knew any scenes between them put the actors and crew at even greater risk than they already have to deal with right now.

• Love 2

Two BTS photos of Chyler directing  episode 6.06 at TVLine: 'Chyler Leigh Takes Us Behind the Scenes of Her Directorial Debut'

“I’m so grateful for the amazing team that surrounded and supported me and absolutely loved every part of the process, even in moments I didn’t know all the answers and felt a bit in over my head,” she continued. “But I learned that asking for help, especially as a first-timer, didn’t make me any less of a leader on set. In fact, it ultimately bolstered my confidence as a storyteller and greatly appreciate the power of collaboration. Respect for every department that works tirelessly to make great TV, the need for humility, the significance of punctuality, and the reward for making some (calculated) risks were the biggest takeaways for me. I look forward to the new adventures that lie ahead.”

• Love 1

Supergirl production designer  in a CW Spotlight video:

Naz Goshtasbpour speaks to the importance of production design and how cultural knowledge informs the medium.

She mentions the new sets for Season 6.

From Jesse Rath's instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPWr2NWH_hE/

jesse_rath

BRAINIAC 5 Time-lapse

A time-lapse of the hair and makeup process I go through to become Brainiac 5. Makeup by @cayleymua @tammythefox and hair by @cherrymakeupandhair #teamcoolandhandsome

@supergirlcw #supergirl #cw #brainiac5 #brainy #Brainiac #arrowverse #behindthescenes #effectsmakeup #dc #dccomics

• Love 1

That pic from May where David was directing Melissa... I wonder if he did all the Phantom Zone stuff. I find it hard to believe that the individual episode directors each came back to film Melissa.

Direct link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSQb-UBtlKD/

melissabenoist

thank you for an incredible 6 years—the cast who became family, everyone who worked on the show, all of you who watched us week after week ♥️♥️♥️ that’s a wrap on @supergirlcw

And David Harewood: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSRy7sgFW_m/

davidharewood

6 incredible years with these two incredible people. What a joy to go to work with them. Thank you all for an amazing ride, I've loved playing the Martian Manhunter for you. Who knows, maybe I'll get to suit up again someday.
#MartianManhunter