Type keyword(s) to search

Suggestions for 7 year old niece?

Chip
  • Start Topic

She loved watching the current Spider-Man cartoon. I think she can read pretty well, so stuff for kids a little older probably OK. I've had the following recommended to me already:

• Lumberjanes
  • El Deafo (I think that's correct)
  • Zita the Space Girl

Anything else y'all might suggest?

Does she like things like Scooby Doo or Looney Tunes?  Because I think DC still publishes comics based on those cartoons.

Back issues of the comic based on the Teen Titans cartoon should be good.  And, if you can, try to get back issues or collected editions of the Marvel Adventures imprint.  It's basically the Marvel Super Heroes in kid friendly adventures.  You're probably going to have to get them used though.

Also, you can't go wrong with Archie.  Even though they're trying to update themselves to keep up with modern times, a lot of their comics are still kid friendly.

• Polly and the Pirates by Ted Naifeh

the Explorer anthology series that Kazu Kibuishi edits

maybe Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi, but maybe it's slightly too much for a seven year old, not sure.

Cleopatra in Space by Mike Maihack

Scary Godmother, by Jill Thompson. (it's not scary)

Tiny Titans? (also based on Teen Titans, but definitely aimed at young kids)

most of the kid superhero comics Chris Giarrusso did (G-Man, Mini Marvels)

My recommendation would be The Batman Adventures comics, which tie into the Batman: The Animated Series. You should be able to find some collected editions and plenty of back issues at comic shops. The series ran in one form or another for almost 15 years and contains some wonderful stories, some of the best I've ever read, set in Batman's universe. It definitely isn't too violent but it does capture the characters wonderfully and she can also watch the cartoon at the same time.

On 5/20/2015 at 2:14 PM, Chip said:

She loved watching the current Spider-Man cartoon. I think she can read pretty well, so stuff for kids a little older probably OK. I've had the following recommended to me already:

• Lumberjanes
  • El Deafo (I think that's correct)
  • Zita the Space Girl

Bone's been suggested already and I second it. Solid children's fantasy comic and highly original instead of following the fantasy template Tolkien created made his own.

You might also want to look into the new Ms Marvel series. Not sure if it would fly over her head but its very pg so far. The hero is a high school student.

May I recommend the Future Quest comic series published by DC.  I've always been a fan of the HB cartoons of the 60s and many of those heroes are brought back for a great crossover adventure!  Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, The Herculoids,  Birdman, Mightor and The Impossibles are all out to save the universe!   It helps if you've seen the cartoons before but it's not necessary.

Edited by magicdog