Type keyword(s) to search

Cast and Crew on Social Media

Blake and Lindsay were on different seasons of Glee Project. I'll refrain from commenting on which one seemed ickier, but the girls never stood a chance. It was all about what got the producers most, um, shall we say interested.  

I liked all the performers from The Glee Project that ended up on Glee, particularly Blake. But Lindsay was by far the best for me.

I really liked Lindsay, and I wish she'd got a bigger role on Glee. She was definitely a better actor than the others from that Glee Project who got much bigger roles on Glee. Maybe she was too talented and they didn't want Rachel to have any real competition?

(edited)

Right or wrong, Ryan didn't  connect to Lindsey  it seems that simple.  Ryan even said he didn't see her vulnerability.

Also considering her main scene showed they didn't have qualms about her being very talented  since Rachel and Kurt were knocked into reality that other kids are as talented or more talented them them.

Edited by tom87

I would have liked  Harmony to take the Cassandra July role in season 4, ie a recurring antagonist for Rachel at NYADA. I think that Rachel ended up being challenged and as a result growing and learning more from her brief encouter with Harmony than in the jelouse teacher storyline.

• Love 2

I honestly think Lindsay didn't get a bigger role because she looked more talented than Rachel.

I always thought Damien McGinty really fit into that Darren Criss/Chord Overstreet/Max George mould than those in charge love so much. 

I honestly think Lindsay didn't get a bigger role because she looked more talented than Rachel.

I always thought Damien McGinty really fit into that Darren Criss/Chord Overstreet/Max George mould than those in charge love so much. 

I think that's pretty ridiculous.  That implies the other girls, Jenna, Amber, Naya etc. potentially aren't very talented?  I think what it came down to is what it always comes down to it seems.  The writing staff on the show was incredibly uninspired and they're not very good with the female characters at all. All the characters that came out of the S1 Glee Project were essentially sort of playing bizarro inspired versions of themselves.  The characters were clearly inspired by some of the traits of the individual person. Lindsay while I think was the most talented was also just kind of not a stand out from being unique (at least in Murphy's mind) if that makes any sense.  I still thought she should have won though because Damien was just downright terrible.

• Love 4
(edited)

Makes no sense.  The  story they gave Linsdey was to show up Rachel.  So obviously  the whole looks talented was not the reason she was not hired for more shows. The shows after Linsdey were about how Mercedes as competition and just as good as Rachel. So no need to hire yet another actor to do the same thing.   Harmony, Mercedes etc all shook Rachel's confidence in season 3, she choked and got desperate enough to want to marry as a teen, that was her story essential anyway.

Edited by tom87

Then Rachel's replacement boyfriend did her teacher and anybody with some spare cash. It wasn't exactly good times for women on the show. Lindsay probably is doing just as well having not gotten made a Lucky Charms joke. 

Right or wrong, Ryan didn't  connect to Lindsey  it seems that simple.  Ryan even said he didn't see her vulnerability.

Plus the editing on the Glee Project made her look pretty bad, and from what I understand Lindsay was not that thrilled about that.   The crazy thing was she could act from what we saw of her, which was the knock on all the other Glee Project winners/alums with the exception of Blake.  Of course he wasn't a great singer, so I would say Lindsay was probably the most "balanced" singer/actor of that whole bunch.

If you were good on the glee project you didn't have to perform for  Ryan. So that automatically put you at a disadvantage since Ryan was looking for people who inspired him.  If you do not get much face time with Ryan less chance you can inspire him enough to want to write for you.

• Love 1

I thought Ryan on The Glee Project just came across as lazy as hell. He wanted the kids to basically come up with their own storyline/narrative and if he liked that, he was in. But it was tricky, because that character for some reason also had to be based on the actual person, or you'd be called "inauthentic" or "putting on a show". So you either came with a ready made narrative (the wheelchair girl, the Muslim girl, the gay black guy who wears women's clothing for a performance, the Christian guy - it still amuses me to this day that Dreadlocks just kinda swooped in to take over this character when Cameron bailed, guess he noticed that Ryan was looking for that - the Irish guy (seriously)). The only ones who didn't really have to do any of that were the handsome white males, they were fine just standing around and looking pretty. I liked Blake and thought he was a talented actor on TGP, but I seriously have no clue why he "inspired" Ryan to write for him over some of the others. Except for the obvious, of course.

Lindsey's actual personality i.e. the persona they thought she would fit on Glee (because nobody in the history of the world has apparently ever acted as someone different from their actual personality) was too similar to Rachel's to them. They didn't really find a use for her other than Rachel's rival, and we all know they didn't want anybody to actually challenge Rachel in her straightforward quest to awesomeness and stardom from S3 onwards (even though Lea Michele obviously could have rocked the storyline - think of the hate duets), so it couldn't work out.

• Love 4
So you either came with a ready made narrative (the wheelchair girl, the Muslim girl, the gay black guy who wears women's clothing for a performance, the Christian guy - it still amuses me to this day that Dreadlocks just kinda swooped in to take over this character when Cameron bailed, guess he noticed that Ryan was looking for that - the Irish guy (seriously)). The only ones who didn't really have to do any of that were the handsome white males, they were fine just standing around and looking pretty.

Well, when it comes to his treatment (or mistreatment) of women and minorities, the only thing I can't accuse Ryan Murphy of is inconsistency.

(edited)

I thought Ryan on The Glee Project just came across as lazy as hell. He wanted the kids to basically come up with their own storyline/narrative and if he liked that, he was in.

Lindsey's actual personality i.e. the persona they thought she would fit on Glee (because nobody in the history of the world has apparently ever acted as someone different from their actual personality) was too similar to Rachel's to them. They didn't really find a use for her other than Rachel's rival, and we all know they didn't want anybody to actually challenge Rachel in her straightforward quest to awesomeness and stardom from S3 onwards (even though Lea Michele obviously could have rocked the storyline - think of the hate duets), so it couldn't work out.

Bingo. I always thought that was the (major) explanation for the inexplicable. He looked at her, said, "We already have one of those," and went on to make one of the most baffling decisions in TV history. God forbid he write a new compelling character and hire someone who could play that role, whether or not it resembled his/her real personality.

Lindsay had that ability, but she wasn't given the chance.

Of course, given what he did to the 2.0 crowd - beginning with making them a 2.0 crowd rather than different, interesting characters in their own right - he probably did her a favor.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I guess this is a unpopular opinion but the little we saw Lindsay didn't impress me that much. I guess she was fine but I didnt miss her or really need to see anymore of her. I wasn't impressed really with any of the Glee Project people but I didn't watch the show so only saw them in relation to the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not going to state that Lindsay was the greatest actress or singer out there. For example, there are some who felt she out shined Lea with her singing, let's just leave it that I'm not one of those.

However, it was clear that Alex (Unique) couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, Damian's Irish accent made his line readings basically unintelligible, in addition to which he reeked of complete awkwardness on camera. Samuel Larsen (whose voice I actually liked a lot) had just one smoldering "look" as far as his acting shtick, and Blake had serious limitation per his singing.

In THAT context, Lindsay getting the least amount of showcase is perplexing. "Anything goes" and "Buenos Aires" Linsday showed prescense while singing and her voice had a nice casual belting power to it . Her acting wasn't amauterishbly bad and cringe inducing. Granted Glee had a low bar, but in that context it's still a head scratcher.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

You know ever day in this world someone goes into a job interview who  is qualified and is a good persons but they still do not get the job.

Doesn't mean we can't complain about it. Especially when they're passed over in favour of less-qualified people. It's stupid there and it's stupid here.

Doesn't mean we can't complain about it. Especially when they're passed over in favour of less-qualified people. It's stupid there and it's stupid here.

Who said you couldn't complain?

Point was hiring is subjective and people you are sure of don't  always work out and people you are iffy on work out well   

Point was hiring is subjective and people you are sure of don't  always work out and people you are iffy on work out well

Except none of the iffy-about people on Glee actually worked out either. Alex, as long as he didn't have to do much other than sing. Damian and Dreadlocks disappeared pretty much instantly and neither displayed any discernible acting skills. I wasn't even a huge Lindsey fan but at least she brought some energy to her (very minor) role. It seemed so obvious that she would have been more interesting than any of those guys, which makes me wonder why all those guys got the season long arcs and the only girl was an afterthought. (or maybe it doesn't make me wonder, it's RIB after all)

• Love 3
(edited)

Speaking of Spring Awakening Lea was at Spring Awakening at DeafWest in LA  seen here with the actress and voice of Wendla. 

tumblr_npvg6uXjsa1s0otrjo2_1280.jpg

Also Ali Stroker from the glee project is in this production and you may remember was Artie's Wedding hook up on glee

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Amber speaks truth.

msamberpriley But we are told we are too sensitive and racism doesn’t really exist in America anymore. We’re supposed to believe this is an isolated incident and as black ppl we talk too much about race and color and we need to “get over it” because this isn’t the 60s. And I suppose this wasn’t racially motivated some will say smh This is why the conversation should keep going and the message of love and tolerance and acceptance needs to live on. #blacklivesmatter is not just a hashtag, it is a statement that some ppl just don’t seem to believe. this morning I prayed for Charleston. I urge you to do it with your whole heart also. *sigh* I knew I got back on social media too soon. This is so disheartening, going to make work more difficult today. Please no debates under the post, just repost and help find this shooter. God bless you all

• Love 2

If anything the writers were doing the bodyshaming. Also, is that song really body-shaming? Against skinny girls, or what? Cry me a river. How about all those times the writers had Mercedes be called a fat slob, basically? That was body-shaming.

• Love 1
(edited)

jaytee1812 I thought the point of "All about the bass" if you want to interpret it as body shaming is that the full bodied woman with a booty feels she's more attractive than "skinny bitches". 

Since society in general always feels women are too fat, I took the song as more of someone who is very confident in their own skin.

That wouldn't make skinny people exercise more to lose even more weight  I would think.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

You might not think body shaming skinny people is a problem, but then I guess you don't know young girls who harm themselves or exercise beyond what is healthy.

It just designed to make women feel lesser if they have a particular body type. It could make women double down to prove that skinny can be just as attractive.

Women are trying to lose weight because society says skinny is more attractive. What exactly is the point of the instagram picture you posted? Jenna lost weight? She was criticised for her weight before (not model-like, "normal", "average" build etc = not super thin), so she had to say this wasn't a response to that. Look at any magazine cover, any television show, any...anything. Really. One song about someone saying they feel prettier curvy than the thin girls around them ain't gonna change that.

Edited by KatWay
(edited)

I honestly don't think mass media/culure is stigmatizing or body shaming skinny girls. The message is incessantly the other way, and HW perpetuates that the "ideal" for women is to squeeze into a size zero. Look how Kelly Clarkson was mocked on FOX NEWS because they thought she had added too many pounds.

The crazy thing about the Jenna photos is that she looked perfectly fine and thinner than most women in the first photo. As to toning up, I could see why Jenna would think that is a good thing but I certainly don't think Jenna was bad before.

"All about the Bass" is more about women feeling good if they are NOT a size zero. IMO It's playing against the wide held perception that skinny is best/sexy/attractive and saying women with booty are just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

NGL, the Cory Monteith tributes, on the 2nd anniversary of his death, including Lea instagramming a photo of Cory driving brought a tear to my eye this morning.

tumblr_nrfrrhzxa41u88r6co2_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_nrfrrhzxa41u88r6co1_500.png

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5