Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Boy With the Dragon Tattoo

I doubt anything will make you feel worse about lying than having your lie permanently written on someone's body.  I feel bad for both of them.

Also, Liza never seemed younger to me than when she was creeped out by Lauren's dad.

So, Liza's work progress blew up in her face.  I like that she and Kelsey apparently took the normal precautions but Diana somehow knew better.  It seems more a case of experience (and Diana's drive not to one upped by younger people) rather than stupidity that made this mistake.

• Love 4

Yeah, Diana knew better. But she didn't take any steps or great pains to show her "younger" colleagues how to do right. This is why I can never sympathize with Diana. She doesn't try to build up younger women and seems to delight in keeping younger women down. This was a teachable moment and she chose to let others be humiliated.

• Love 8

Yuck, Josh's friends are just gross  Staying over at his place was like living in a frat house.  I'm really not seeing a whole lot of perks of dating a younger guy.

I had no idea that Kelsey's boyfriend is the brother of her friend, Lauren.  Lauren's dad was a major creeper, and I thought for sure that he was going to return later that night to put the moves on Liza.  I would have been locking or blockading my door while I was sleeping!

Someone else mentioned this in another thread, but I can't read any of the texts either.  The font is way too tiny.  

Josh and the dragon tattoo...not anywhere near as bad as getting Liza's name tattooed on his arm, but still a bit weird.

So from next week's preview, 

is Charles going to find out that Liza isn't really 26??

• Love 2

Huh. This is the most that I have liked Thad. Is this a sign of the apocalypse? Of course, he set the bar pretty low at the beginning of the season so the fact that he didn't bitch about going to Brooklyn twice in one week was a huge improvement in itself.

I don't blame Liza for staying with Kelsey. I can't imagine staying at Josh's gross frat house of an apartment. Between the noise and the toilet issues, I would not be happy. On top of that, he had to ask Liza to bring back TP? At the risk of sounding like a grandma, what kind of a host does that to his guest? In contrast, when I was in my early 20s, the water at my house went out. A platonic male friend (who was the same age) offered to let me come over to use his shower after work. He cleaned the entire bathroom before I got there and told his roommate not to get it dirty again before I got there. I was friends with this guy for several years so I don't remember exactly when this happened, but I'm pretty sure I was 23/24. Not all guys in their 20s are inconsiderate slobs!

I agree that Diana could have made this a learning experience for both Kelsey and Liza and instead she chose to humiliate them (and the author) in front of Charles to make herself look like the smarter one. I wonder if Diana knew the book had been plagiarized because she read The Babushka before it went out of print (how else would she have a copy of it on such short notice?).

• Love 4

Josh's apartment - yuk. I would have slept in my office if I had to - no booty call is worth that!

I agree with the other posters - Diana did a dick move. I can see an "evil nemesis coworker" character doing that, but Diana just lost my sympathy.

• Love 2

I'm actually really curious about how Diana found out about The Babushka.  Would love to know how she found out, and so quickly.

On Josh's tattoo, I thought that was actually pretty inspired as a way to "give" Liza a tattoo on his body, but one that doesn't scream "ex-girlfriend" if they break up. Not her name, or her face, her birthday, some saying they have--just a fairly generic dragon, which fit right in with all his other tats.  He has to have seen how many people end up regretting a significant other tattoo, and what they do to get rid of or change them.  So I thought it was another sign that he's actually pretty smart, though not book smart.  He's life smart.

• Love 2

I kind of get why Diana pulled the dick move. Liza and Kelsey jumped the chain of command and went to Charles with the book instead of her. If they'd gone to her first, she'd have caught the plagiarism before Charles even saw it.

• Love 2

But isn't Diana in charge of marketing, meaning she isn't the one who Kelsey would report to as an editor? I don't know all the ins and outs of publishing so I was just imagining someone at my old company's marketing department being a bitch about someone in sales getting a new client without consulting marketing first.

My understanding is that anyone is welcome to read the crap that's in the slush pile, so Liza did nothing wrong there. Then on her own time, she gave copies of the book to a book club to get feedback, which is also not wrong. She then reported their opinions to Kelsey, who is an editor, which seems more appropriate than telling someone in marketing. After receiving lots of fan mail and scarves (and positive reviews on Good Reads), Kelsey told Charles that they should consider acquiring this book. Again, appropriate because Diana is not in charge of approving authors. After reading the book, Charles authorized Kelsey to make the author an offer. As far as I can see, Kelsey did not make any mistakes in protocol by not involving Diana or the rest of the marketing department. Now if Diana were an editor who supervised Kelsey, I could see Diana being annoyed that Kelsey went over her head, but isn't marketing only involved once an author is signed and the book is almost ready for release?

• Love 7

Diana's a marketing exec, though, not an editor. They weren't supposed to go to her with a new property. And it's not like she didn't know they were perusing the slush pile, Liza came right out and told her. Diana dismissed her outright as joking. And I'd think that despite saving the day, Diana would still look bad for her assistant fucking up, so it was stupid she didn't execute the discovery of The Babushka in a more discreet, teachable way. Kelsey was her assistant and Liza will be in a position similar to Kelsey if she makes it a year, so why isn't Diana showing them the ropes? She bitches about how hard she has to work, but her needless competition with the younger women in the office kind of necessitates it. If she were more proactive with teaching her subordinates, they'd probably be able to pick up more slack.

Also, as someone who works full time but lives at home, it was nice seeing professionals my age who do the same but aren't portrayed as losers.

• Love 5

Very good points.

As much as I like Liza (even though she doesn't look 26 for me), The Lie is somehow ruining it. It's episode #9 and I can't really find any reason to avoid telling Josh the truth. Yes, he'll be probably upset, maybe he'll feel betrayed and will break-up with her but honestly, if it happens, she has it coming. Besides, it's not like she's madly in love with him to the point she's too scared to lose him. She likes him obviously, he's a good guy and he's hot, but in each and every episode more and more reasons emerge which highlight that they have nothing in common or that, at the very least, this is a doomed relationship in the first place.

In any case, if she really cares about him, she should tell him, period. She should take the risk.

I also think she should confess Kelsey too, by now.

But Josh first. Really.

• Love 2

But isn't Diana in charge of marketing, meaning she isn't the one who Kelsey would report to as an editor? I don't know all the ins and outs of publishing so I was just imagining someone at my old company's marketing department being a bitch about someone in sales getting a new client without consulting marketing first.

I admit to knowing nothing about publishing, I was just going by a comment Diana made about how she should've been told first when Kelsey and Liza pitched the book to Charles.

1) Josh's place seems like a nightmare. 

2) Josh, though, got a tattoo for her. Crazy. Romantic, yeah, but crazy. 

Episodes with Thad there but he isn't saying anything important so all I have to do is look at how pretty he is are my favourite episodes. 

I know the book thing was too good to be true, but what a bummer! But honestly, how did Diana do that so fast? Magical powers??? I like seeing the fun party side of liza's life as opposed to the editorial work side.

Count me in with people who are waiting for Lixa to tell someone. Josh and Kelsey. I think Kelsey would LOVE the idea and suggest she write a book.  

• Love 1
(edited)
I was just going by a comment Diana made about how she should've been told first when Kelsey and Liza pitched the book to Charles.

Former book editor chiming in. Diana's irritation comes from Liza not giving her a head's up about finding the ms. As Liza's boss, Diana does need to know what she's doing, even if it's not directly in her purview. And even though Diana wouldn't directly buy the book, her opinion on how well it would sell is important, so if Liza had told her about it before going much further, Diana might have been able to stop things before the company was embarrassed. 

They don't really know how to write Diana, IMO. One minute she's loaning Liza $1,800 (not exactly peanuts), and the next she's calling her out in front of her boss. That's bad management. You don't scold your subordinates publicly. I don't mind Diana being tough, but I don't like seeing her compete with Kelsey and Liza. It makes Diana look insecure. (I know she is, but I wish it didn't make her look so desperate.)

Count me in with people who are waiting for Lixa to tell someone. Josh and Kelsey. I think Kelsey would LOVE the idea and suggest she write a book.

Liza could TOTALLY sell a book about this. I wonder if that's where this will go. Liza's secret blows up, she picks herself up and writes an article/book about it, and voilà! A career is born.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2
(edited)
On Josh's tattoo, I thought that was actually pretty inspired as a way to "give" Liza a tattoo on his body, but one that doesn't scream "ex-girlfriend" if they break up. Not her name, or her face, her birthday, some saying they have--just a fairly generic dragon, which fit right in with all his other tats.  He has to have seen how many people end up regretting a significant other tattoo, and what they do to get rid of or change them.  So I thought it was another sign that he's actually pretty smart, though not book smart.  He's life smart.

Seriously?  He won't even say she's his girlfriend.   Yet he's willing to mark himself permanently for her.

They've been dating for a few weeks, he knows next to nothing about her (it's all lies!).  Because of these factors, it's actually way more true that they're just hanging out rather than seriously dating.  In my opinion.  So, I still think the tattoo is incredibly stupid, and he's life stupid.  But then again I'm not a tattoo fan in general.  So I guess this is where I sound like the grandmother.

I also wish this show wasn't so aggressive about trying to gross me out all the time.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

As much as I like Liza (even though she doesn't look 26 for me), The Lie is somehow ruining it. It's episode #9 and I can't really find any reason to avoid telling Josh the truth. Yes, he'll be probably upset, maybe he'll feel betrayed and will break-up with her but honestly, if it happens, she has it coming. Besides, it's not like she's madly in love with him to the point she's too scared to lose him. She likes him obviously, he's a good guy and he's hot, but in each and every episode more and more reasons emerge which highlight that they have nothing in common or that, at the very least, this is a doomed relationship in the first place.

In any case, if she really cares about him, she should tell him, period. She should take the risk.

A gigantic ditto from me on this. I understand the writers needing to create drama and conflict for the main character, but there comes a point when not telling the secret to her boyfriend (or "hanging out" friend) is getting ridiculous and unbelievable, not to mention harmful to the main character who becomes less likable the longer she lies about this to people (like Josh) who she has no reason not to tell. She's not a pain in the ass liar like House MD or similar characters where they're generally unlikable bastards whose lies are excused and eyerolled -- Liza is supposed to be a genuinely kind, good-hearted person who was in a bad spot after her marriage ended. We see that in her, but the longer she lies, the harder it is to feel for her.

I understand the mirror image, how the Scarf author's experience is a lot like Liza's, but with Liza recognizing that similarity (and how spectacularly it blew up in the Scarf author's face) and then seeing the tattoo on Josh's arm, she's got to realize it's beyond time to tell Josh the truth.

Seriously?  He won't even say she's his girlfriend.

I didn't mind that, awkward though the moment was, because it's clear the two of them haven't talked about it up to this point. So why would he call her his girlfriend? It's not on him to suddenly declare, "Yes, she is my girlfriend!" What if in that moment he told his buddy that Liza was his girlfriend, and then found out that SHE wasn't ready for that label yet? They need to decide for themselves, together as a couple.

Why couldn't he simply say that they're enjoying their time together and haven't discussed labels yet? 

• Love 1
I also wish this show wasn't so aggressive about trying to gross me out all the time.

Yeah, with this latest episode, I'm left thinking "Run Liza, run!"  No need to put up with Josh's gross friends.  Even at 26, I wouldn't have put up with that shit (pun intended).

Other than the sex, I'm not really getting the appeal of Josh.  He's a nice enough guy, but they don't share the same interests, they don't share the same friends, they don't seem to have meaningful conversations, they aren't at the same maturity level, and Liza feels the need to continue to lie to him.  If Charles learns the truth about Liza's age before Josh, I think it will just be another sign that maybe he's the guy that the show is telling us that she's meant to be with. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Again no mention or fallout from Kelsey sleeping with the Swedish author. Is he still a client?

Yeah, that bugged me too. I missed the episode before this so I thought it was mentioned there. But I caught up last night, and it's as if it never happened. My guess is Anton got dropped, or his wife forced him to switch. But really, no repercussions at all for Kelsey?!

I agree that was a dick move by Diana. Just when I was starting to feel the warm fuzzies for her, when she lent Liza the money after telling her she can't work any other job but this. I guess what Diana meant by coming to her first, is not Kelsey and Liza coming to her first, but Liza alone. Even though she's in marketing, she's still Liza's boss, first and foremost. So maybe she felt she is owed some courtesy that maybe even though it's not her job to approve books, that Liza should have mentioned it to her and she can tell her to go to Kelsey or another editor to pursue it. I guess maybe she thinks she is owed that considering she saved Liza's ass a few weeks ago. If that's the case, then yeah, I can see why she's upset. But I also agree it was a teachable moment for Diana, to show how her experience is still a valuable commodity in the business, even though she feels she's a dinosaur herself.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Former book editor chiming in. Diana's irritation comes from Liza not giving her a head's up about finding the ms. As Liza's boss, Diana does need to know what she's doing, even if it's not directly in her purview. And even though Diana wouldn't directly buy the book, her opinion on how well it would sell is important, so if Liza had told her about it before going much further, Diana might have been able to stop things before the company was embarrassed. 

Very true. And it's also poor form to leapfrog your boss to lobby their boss directly without letting your boss know. Even if you have only the best intentions (and when it comes to Diana, Kelsey doesn't) it's going to make them look really bad if they don't know what their assistant is doing. Liza may not realize she just did an end run, but I bet Kelsey does. And given their mutual bitterness (neither of them seem to remember Kelsey's tenure as Diana's assistant particularly fondly), I'll bet it's not Kelsey's first time.

Liza could TOTALLY sell a book about this. I wonder if that's where this will go. Liza's secret blows up, she picks herself up and writes an article/book about it, and voilà! A career is born.

I would totally watch that show. It could be the show Girlfriend's Guide should have been.

• Love 2
she's got to realize it's beyond time to tell Josh the truth.

I think Liza was going to tell Josh in the bar, but then he went first and showed her the tattoo, and she lost her nerve. The longer she waits, the harder it will be. 

• Love 3

Again no mention or fallout from Kelsey sleeping with the Swedish author. Is he still a client?

I'm unspoiled but think he's going to appear again.

I had no idea that Kelsey's boyfriend is the brother of her friend, Lauren.  Lauren's dad was a major creeper, and I thought for sure that he was going to return later that night to put the moves on Liza.  I would have been locking or blockading my door while I was sleeping!

Whoa, I missed that Thad is Lauren's brother. Liza's bedroom door looked like a pocket door to me, which probably couldn't be locked (or even blocked all that well). Ick.

the next Carrie Bradshaw?? "20 in the City" (or something to that extent?)

(edited)
Why couldn't he simply say that they're enjoying their time together and haven't discussed labels yet?

I don't care that Josh wouldn't call Liza his girlfriend.  My point was that I can't reconcile that attitude with simultaneously getting a tattoo dedicated to her on his body.  I disagreed with that whole thing being life smart.

A tattoo is much more permanent than a label.  That's why I don't get it.

Liza has no leg to stand on being upset with Josh's lack of commitment.  She has zero excuse not to come clean about who she is.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)

But Liza did tell Diana about the manuscript she found. Two episodes ago, she was gushing about how much she loved it and Diana was too busy accusing her of having pink eye to listen to her. And didn't she tell Diana how much the book club loved it last week? I am almost positive that she mentioned the Good Reads reviews after she and Kelsey looked at them together. This week Diana knew that all the mail and scarves on Liza's desk were about the book too. The fact that Diana was dismissive about all the progress Liza had made with the manuscript was not Liza's fault IMO. She was clearly not going to be supportive of this extracurricular project or show any interest in Liza taking the initiative. But Diana was definitely aware of the fact that Liza found something in the slush pile and was pursuing it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I thought I recognized Ana Gasteyer and Kathy Najimy in this episode.  Coincidentally I just saw Ana in a Frasier episode from 2002 this week.

Re: Josh, I just think he's her post-divorce squeeze.  Nothing wrong with it but I think they're totally unsuited for a permanent commitment.  I hope the show doesn't try to push them as some kind of huge romance because I won't buy it, plus it's completely boring.  But I can appreciate them in a totally fling-like post divorce way.  I don't know why we have to be sold on a Liza that has to be in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship instead of one that recognizes that this is not destined to get serious.  No matter how sophisticated society supposedly gets TV shows still tend to sanitize women into the Virgin Mary or something.  Unless the show is setting us up for her having internal conflict over him and the publisher.  Now that could get interesting!  I'd love to see her start something up with HIM.  That would certainly be juicy, especially if she came out with her secret to him and he promised not to tell.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't care that Josh wouldn't call Liza his girlfriend.  My point was that I can't reconcile that attitude with simultaneously getting a tattoo dedicated to her on his body.  I disagreed with that whole thing being life smart.

A tattoo is much more permanent than a label.  That's why I don't get it.

Liza has no leg to stand on being upset with Josh's lack of commitment.  She has zero excuse not to come clean about who she is.

In my admittedly long appreciation for men I have come to realize that often early on they're not comfortable with having to label relationships just so their women know where they stand.  They are much more comfortable with expressing their feelings in a whimsical, free spirited way, and in that sense I can appreciate Josh getting the tattoo but not being as comfortable verbally labeling the relationship.  Tattoos are in his wheelhouse and he comes from a generation that understands them far better than I do.  I think he approaches them as a means to express his feelings about important things at different times in his life.  The feelings they represent can still fade into the past even though the tattoo won't and that's OK with them because it's almost like a symbolic journal.  Talking about where he and his girlfriend stand is IMO one of those things he and a lot of men would rather avoid much longer than most women would appreciate.  Later on he admitted that she was his girlfriend.  I just think like many men he has a hard time facing it and coming out with it.  It doesn't mean the feelings aren't for all intents and purposes, there.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

I think Liza was going to tell Josh in the bar, but then he went first and showed her the tattoo, and she lost her nerve. The longer she waits, the harder it will be. 

I agree, I had the same impression. However, IIRC this is the second time she's about to tell him and then changes her mind. I can't excuse her anymore.

Other than the sex, I'm not really getting the appeal of Josh.  He's a nice enough guy, but they don't share the same interests, they don't share the same friends, they don't seem to have meaningful conversations, they aren't at the same maturity level, and Liza feels the need to continue to lie to him.  If Charles learns the truth about Liza's age before Josh, I think it will just be another sign that maybe he's the guy that the show is telling us that she's meant to be with. 

I, too, don't get the appeal of Josh and I agree about Charles. As soon as he showed up I realized Josh was NOT the guy we were supposed to root for.

I even think he and Liza already like each other, but it's like they both placed the other in a "Don't go there" box in their head: from his POV, he's just getting a divorce, he's her boss and she's too young for him (yeah, right!). From her perspective, well... he's her boss, he doesn't know about her age and, most of all, Diana has her eyes on him too, which could endanger her position. All things considered, I guess THIS is the story the writers are going to tell.

• Love 3
(edited)
The fact that Diana was dismissive about all the progress Liza had made with the manuscript was not Liza's fault IMO. She was clearly not going to be supportive of this extracurricular project or show any interest in Liza taking the initiative. But Diana was definitely aware of the fact that Liza found something in the slush pile and was pursuing it.

Diana being dismissive is definitely not Liza's fault, I agree. But just because Liza told her she wanted to pursue things with the manuscript doesn't mean Diana knew how far things had gotten. I don't think she knew Kelsey (and Liza, to a lesser degree) was going to make an offer to the author. Kelsey isn't her underling like Liza is. (We don't know who Kelsey's immediate superior is, do we?)

I'll repeat something I wrote earlier: The writers don't seem to know what to do with Diana. One minutes she's telling Liza her assistants either move up or move out, the next she's yelling at her for going rogue, as it were. If they're going to have her be a fake mentor, they need to be more explicit. And if she's going to be an actual mentor, they need to be more explicit about that, too.

Edited by dubbel zout

OK, I think I get it, sort-of.  Josh sort of = a younger Aidan and Charles sort of = Big.

Oh God I hope not. I cannot stand Big, he's a giant jerk. Charles seems more like Aidan to me, a settled down man who has no problems with commitment.

Josh seems like that guy that Carrie dated in the "Dating Twenty-Something Guys" episode.

• Love 1

Perhaps through her experiences pretending to be younger, she has become "younger at heart." I imagine she's learning quite a bit, both good and bad, seeing things from these different angles. But perhaps what she's learning most is that it's just a number and means nothing when it comes to measuring energy and passion. It's only a measurement of the passage of time.

• Love 1
(edited)

As an aside, Josh was apparently born in 1990, as he said he was a "Horse".  That would make him 24/25. That's in contradiction to the pilot, where he said he was 26, as "26" in Younger means being born in 1988, because this show seems to be taking place somewhere in 2014 through early 2015. Funnily enough, Nico really was born in 1988....he's a month younger than Liza's fake August 1988 birthdate.

I did think Diana was needlessly bitchy in this episode. As someone said upthread, either she's a fake mentor trying to sabotage the younger workers to stay relevant or a real one who genuinely wants to groom her subordinates into capable workers. She can't be both.

I do think it was a great lesson for both Kelsey and Liza, but still.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

I keep watching this show, and it keeps annoying me every week in some way.

Liza does not look 26! Even saying she is 30 is stretching it! She looks like a woman who is between 35 and 40. No mater how long her hair is, and how silly they dress her, she looks, speaks, and also has the face of an older woman. In fact, putting her in silly, trendy clothing only makes her look older, because it does show her age.

Also, where do women dress in such goofy outfits in corporate America? I work in a setting that is not in NYC, nor is it a corporation, and no woman who is in her 20's dresses so silly and childish like Liza.

I think the fact that this concept of Liza being 20 is so not believable that the producers of this show need to make any other woman who is over the age of 30 appear act like they are from another century, or totally embarrassing and out of it.

The women in the book club were just idiotic acting. I guess being a suburban mom over 40, makes you stupid?

Diane is written like an evil witch from a Disney movie who is trying to hurt the innocent little princesses! And I see no woman I work with, even in their 50's or 60's with such an outdated hairstyle and fashion as Diane! We are supposed to believe that this woman is living in Manhattan and working in a publishing company, and is such a frump?

I think the show is fun to watch, and way better than most of what is on primetime, that is why I watch it. But I can't help feel like the portrayals of women who dare to be over the age of 30 is degrading, and sets back women quite a bit.

The 20 something year olds are also stereotyped, but as weird as they are, they are portrayed as kind of innocent in the mean world of the awful middle aged females!

Funny thing is, when I see other sitcoms like Modern Family, the women have decent hairstyles, dress well, and they are not in their 20's.

I think this show will do well, but the message it's sending about women is not good IMO.

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 3

Did anyone else think that Kelsey noticed Liza's slip? The shots were quick, but after Liza started to say tiger and covered it up with typhoid(?) I thought they showed Kelsey looking down at the zodiacs and the Tiger one specifically.

• Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone else think that Kelsey noticed Liza's slip? The shots were quick, but after Liza started to say tiger and covered it up with typhoid(?) I thought they showed Kelsey looking down at the zodiacs and the Tiger one specifically.

Tiger isn't even the right animal for 1975. It's rabbit. I had meant to mention it before but kept forgetting.

Edited by kariyaki

The Chinese zodiac doesn't follow the Western calendar year exactly, so there are two symbols per year. There also seem to be different ways of matching up the Chinese calendar to the Western calendar.

• Love 2

So Liza was actually born in 1974. That makes sense. I'm assuming it's August 1974.

That would also fit with Liza having gone to a Nirvana concert in 1991 when she was 16/going on 17.

Sill not being able to fit Liza's storyline of being 26 when she was junior editor and then quitting to get married and pregnant and then having a 17-year old daughter.

Did she quit when she got married or when her daughter was born? Most women I know who plan to stay home with their kids keep earning as long as possible.

If Liza is only 40, she had Kaitlyn at 23, so in the show, she was tackling a professional career in Manhattan and new motherhood simultaneously and at a very young age. And from the first ep, I think they stated she was a junior editor when she left her old job. All possible but highly unlikely. If she was 45 it would be a bit more believable.

Also, where do women dress in such goofy outfits in corporate America? I work in a setting that is not in NYC, nor is it a corporation, and no woman who is in her 20's dresses so silly and childish like Liza.

Completely agree.

Josh isn't the first guy to get a tat with a girlfriend's name, and he won't be the last.  Look at all the celebrities who've done this and have had to get the tat removed or have it changed to something different.  Look at Nick Canon, Mariah Carey's ex.  His HUGE Mariah on his back had to be changed to something else.  It's stupid to get a tat of someone you're involved with, as you don't know how long the relationship will last.