Type keyword(s) to search

Books vs Show

Thought this might be useful.  I've read all three books, sooo..we can decide for those who haven't how much to spoil?   I liked the first one, was not expecting the twist that we've all devolved, thought the second was pretty bad but liked the third.

Good casting of Matt Dillon, Melissa Leo as Pam - playing Nurse Ratched type - and the actress playing the sheriff's receptionist - I've pretty sure she was the wife of the alien wearing the Edgar suit in Men in Black.  I like the minor character of the receptionist in the book, she's so rude and nonchalant.  Unfortunately, I can't stand Juliette Lewis, so there's that. 

So for Pam the nurse, I like that they didn't cast someone as femme fatale-ish as in the books but she doesn't need to be, just nasty and creepy.  Of course we get Ethan's POV when reading, how weird and quiet the hospital is, the show was succesful in that as well. 

They followed the books pretty closely (Blake Crouch is listed as assoc producer I think?) so I'm in to see how they do since I did like the first episode.

Wahhh I want to see the creatures and overgrown Earth!  Probably not until episode 9 or 10 I guess while they pile on the paranoia. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There was an interview that I read, either with the show runner or Shyamalan, where it's mentioned that viewers will be surprised that one of the characters doesn't make it past the third episode.  I'm guessing that would be the sheriff, who is killed at the end of the first book.  So if this show is faithful to the books and maintains the same pace throughout the series, there's a strong possibility that the 10 episodes are going to cover the entire trilogy.  Not a bad idea, really.  The books, themselves, don't really contain a whole lot of dialogue between characters and is mostly written in POV style.  A lot of filler would be needed to stretch one of the books past five episodes, at the most. 

I, too, look forward to seeing what the creatures/abbies will look like, though I'm prepared to be let down.  They were one of my favorite things in the book.  Such mindless savagery.  But there's also the female that's kept in captivity in the facility, who I wanted learn more about, since she seemed to be a more docile version of the species, with perhaps a measure of intelligence.

To say that Shyamalan probably dug the book's twist, would probably be an understatement.  This is probably the most perfect of TV projects for him to have gotten involved in.  I wonder if back in the day, back when he had more pull in Hollywood and wasn't as criticized, would he have decided instead  to have made this into a movie.

Edited by givencare

I've now read the first book, and read descriptions for the next two episodes, so it looks like someone was right in that the first four or five episodes cover the first one. Since I now have an idea of where the last two books are headed, I'll ask this with a spoiler. Is Beverly 

a part of a group outside the town, that wants to take over, or at least stop the person who put this all together? It reminds me a bit of This Perfect Day.

I wonder if back in the day, back when he had more pull in Hollywood and wasn't as criticized, would he have decided instead  to have made this into a movie.

He probably would have made a trilogy. A movie per book. And, it does have some similarity to The Village, if you squint hard enough.

Thought this might be useful.  I've read all three books, sooo..we can decide for those who haven't how much to spoil?   I liked the first one, was not expecting the twist that we've all devolved, thought the second was pretty bad but liked the third.

Good casting of Matt Dillon, Melissa Leo as Pam - playing Nurse Ratched type - and the actress playing the sheriff's receptionist - I've pretty sure she was the wife of the alien wearing the Edgar suit in Men in Black.  I like the minor character of the receptionist in the book, she's so rude and nonchalant.  Unfortunately, I can't stand Juliette Lewis, so there's that. 

So for Pam the nurse, I like that they didn't cast someone as femme fatale-ish as in the books but she doesn't need to be, just nasty and creepy.  Of course we get Ethan's POV when reading, how weird and quiet the hospital is, the show was succesful in that as well. 

They followed the books pretty closely (Blake Crouch is listed as assoc producer I think?) so I'm in to see how they do since I did like the first episode.

Wahhh I want to see the creatures and overgrown Earth!  Probably not until episode 9 or 10 I guess while they pile on the paranoia. 

I was dying to know the mystery so I read the first book over the past couple days.  Crouch said Twin Peaks was his biggest influence so it makes sense he'd want to be involved with the making of the tv show.  

(edited)

So if this show is faithful to the books and maintains the same pace throughout the series, there's a strong possibility that the 10 episodes are going to cover the entire trilogy.

This would be a smart idea - the second book is mainly filler really and the Teresa character is just awful, every wife/girlfriend cliche that I can't stand.  They can skip the whole plot about Adam too which doesn't add anything really.  A walkabout into the country outside of Wayward Pines would be great to see, those sections were pretty tense, but I don't know if the show can afford it and it doesn't look like there'll be enough time with 10 episodes.

I like the adaptation so far, except for Juliette Lewis whose twitching all over the place bugs big time. 

Edited by raven
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't think it was likely they'd cram all three books into 10 episodes but reading all the episode descriptions out there it sure sounds like they did.  Could be a fun ride.  I HATED that the movie makers made the not-long book The Hobbit into 3 full length films.  This is kind of the opposite.  

I'm about halfway through the second book now and not a whole lot more has happened.  An episode could cover it.  I think it has only been a short time since Ethan arrived, so 3 weeks of total time could be possible.  

The reveal reminded me a bit of Life on Mars (US version) and also Planet of the Apes.  

Edited by Guest

Some of the book stuff is bugging me.  Pilcher is a medical genius who can control a whole town's speech but he can't solve the issue of some taking out the tracker chip in their thigh?  Why not embed it in their brain or do spot checks of their scars?  

And how did he reanimate?  Did his cryo capsule pop open after a timer set for 1700 years went off and he rolled out and thawed on the floor with no medical attention?  

And I know the author at least offered an explanation for not telling residents the truth (they couldn't handle it) but I think it's weak.  I'd handle being in a post-apocalyptic endangered species preserve better than just trapped for no reason in an Idaho town with crazy rules about what you can and can't discuss.  

Embedding something in a person's thigh is a lot simpler and safer than brain surgery; the scar is barely noticeable, plus much of the town doesn't know (or want to know) about the chip stuff. Pilcher was re-animated by his team; gave them time to work out any possible problems before thawing the Big Boss. Wayward Pines is his baby and he thinks he knows best; in book 3 you will see how that works out.

I'm actually afraid of seeing the Abbies brought to life!

• Love 1
And I know the author at least offered an explanation for not telling residents the truth (they couldn't handle it) but I think it's weak.  I'd handle being in a post-apocalyptic endangered species preserve better than just trapped for no reason in an Idaho town with crazy rules about what you can and can't discuss.  

I agree.  Your number one reason to escape is to get back to your own family and friends.  That would never go away.  But I suppose the mastermind's goal is to make a new generation that know nothing else, and the original colony is just a means to that end.  It's all kind of stupid, but it kept me hooked to find out how it all ended.  My bigger complaint is the incredible waste of finite resources on this "perfect" town, so they can all live in giant model homes and pretend American society is still real.

• Love 1

I agree.  Your number one reason to escape is to get back to your own family and friends.  That would never go away.  But I suppose the mastermind's goal is to make a new generation that know nothing else, and the original colony is just a means to that end.  It's all kind of stupid, but it kept me hooked to find out how it all ended.  My bigger complaint is the incredible waste of finite resources on this "perfect" town, so they can all live in giant model homes and pretend American society is still real.

Yeah.  I just finished book 2 and I guess now I understand better that Pilcher was just a crazy megalomaniac who liked the added power of his subjects being totally in the dark about the truth, not even really knowing if they were alive or dead or crazy or what.  

The total dedication to Americana is a little odd.  I think it's pretty much common knowledge in science that humans are most like a climax species, and won't be around forever.  But an attempt to preserve them in a world that's moved on is pretty ridiculous.  But this is science fiction and a gajillionaire nutball genius... who's to say what he'd want?  Mailboxes and bus stops and Atomic Fireballs candy that was in storage for millenia?  Ok.  

Embedding something in a person's thigh is a lot simpler and safer than brain surgery; the scar is barely noticeable, plus much of the town doesn't know (or want to know) about the chip stuff. Pilcher was re-animated by his team; gave them time to work out any possible problems before thawing the Big Boss. Wayward Pines is his baby and he thinks he knows best; in book 3 you will see how that works out.

I'm actually afraid of seeing the Abbies brought to life!

Ok, good, thanks.  Someone had to have been re-animated first, that's my issue.  Or are they implying that 20 generations of his team lived in his mountain lab and town with instructions to thaw him in 1700 years?  If humans were extinct, how could anyone thaw him besides some automatic timer?  Of course, if he didn't have a live team for those 1700 years, what stopped the town from going back to seed like Boise did?  I'm so confused.  

Ok, good, thanks.  Someone had to have been re-animated first, that's my issue.  Or are they implying that 20 generations of his team lived in his mountain lab and town with instructions to thaw him in 1700 years?  If humans were extinct, how could anyone thaw him besides some automatic timer?  Of course, if he didn't have a live team for those 1700 years, what stopped the town from going back to seed like Boise did?  I'm so confused.  

Apparently, they did have some kind of automatic timer.  He did choose how far ahead into the future they were going.  How this thing was powered that long is a mystery that I guess we file under "it's sci fi so just go with it."  So, presumably, a handful of them came out of it through an automated process, and then helped Pilcher and the others come out.  I honestly just skimmed through the last book to get to the climax.  It definitely doesn't hold up to a lot of scrutiny, lol.  But he came up with a good enough story that I stayed up late finding out what it was, and here I am talking about it, plot holes and all.

The book was easy, though.

Easy to skim.

Because of fragments.

Of sentences.

While turning.

Turning pages.

This page.

That page.

Or scrolling.

As the case may be.

• Love 5

Oh I agree.  I read the first two since the last ep and will I'm sure also devour the third in a few days because I am interested, too!  It's just in my nature to want to discuss the shortcomings.  

One thing kind of funny is I realized by her end I was picturing Pam as Sue Sylvester, which was surely not the intention.  She just got a little too cartoon evil.  

It's just in my nature to want to discuss the shortcomings. 

That's the best part!

I'm not crazy about the changes in this episode, with Theresa just waking up now as well.  I thought that added to the story that she'd been there so long, and that her son was younger when they disappeared, so he'd had all that time to be indoctrinated in that world.  I'm glad the ending scenes finally showed Ethan DOING something.  He was much more brutal in the novels.

• Love 4

Wow, HUGE divergence from the book in this ep!  Ethan's whole ginormous, dangerous trek to the control area was reduced to a ride in a milk truck.  And Pope is shot?!  I wanted to see his book death, hanging from a chopper over a swarm.  

I too like the story of Theresa and Ben better in the book.  And going into book 3 the big mystery is what the heck is Theresa going to do when Adam/Tobias gets back, which now can't really happen in the show.  

I'm sure you're right... budget and time.  But now I'm afraid the abbies are going to look low budget.  Or remain in the dark.  

(edited)

I want to thank you guys for this thread. As a person who likes to go to the end of the book after a dozen or so pages for a peek, I find that reading the spoilers here have in fact enhanced the viewing experience. I know now that the fellows from Wayward Pines showing up outside the town was a fake-out on the part of the editor, and that they're going back and forth several thousand years in order to mislead the audience. it all makes perfect sense.

Edited by Notwisconsin
  • Love 2

I think the fact a good portion of Ethan running in the woods and getting into the mountain would have been kind of boring - and there wouldn't have been anything to switch to aside from that. So I can see why they changed it, but I wish he would have been told what was going on already - it seems like he'll be in the dark as sheriff and that makes NO sense to me. The whole point was the sheriff KNEW the danger and knew how important it was to keep everyone in the town.

So I'm hoping the next ep starts with him being told because otherwise it makes little sense.

I think they could have shortened the part of his trek in the woods, but still kept it as plot, because it pains me a bit that Ethan doesn't get to prove his tenacity and skills to find Pilcher and the truth.  In the books, Ethan was a stone cold badass.  In this show, his big moment was hiding in the back of a milk truck. 

I don't like how they've watered down the fetes, which I don't think was because of violence as much as they didn't want viewers to hate the townspeople too much.  When they were hunting Ethan down, he went Jason Bourne on quite a few people, then escaped, then killed some abbies, and then got into the compound.  Now he's hiding in trucks.  It's a let down.  And they've turned Kate into a fatalist that needs a pep talk from Ethan to get her resolve back, instead of her being tough and resilient with her own plots and plans.  Unless they're faking us out on Kate's part.  But it doesn't seem like it.

Also, instead of the added drama and knotty problem of Ben having divided loyalty (which wasn't explored well in the book anyway, to be honest), he's some pissy teenager who I doubt is going to swallow the teachings of Wayward Pines Academy at all.  So instead of Theresa, and Ben, and Kate, and Ethan all possibly being at crosspurposes, which has to be overcome, they're just going to all band together and take on the baddies in simplistic fashion.  Meh.

I'll give Matt Dillon some credit.  I read an interview with him where he said he had to fight for his character to be more proactive and not an observer in the story, so that means it was a lot worse when they started out.  At least he finally took down Pope permanently. 

• Love 2

This isn't the best written article (and she leaves out some good movies he's been in), but it was interesting.  This guy must really hate doing press, there is barely anything out there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11558132/Matt-Dillon-Ive-never-felt-comfortable-as-a-leading-man.html

Relevant part about trying to keep Ethan a tough character:

His uncompromising nature suggests he’s not always be the easiest to direct. “I can be very tough on material and I can be a little bit of a perfectionist,” he tells me. “I’d be lying to say every time I read a Wayward Pines script it was perfect. I’d fight for certain things about my character Ethan, that he be proactive and not just a spectator of things that were happening. I respected what the creators of the show were doing in the grand scheme, pragmatically, but it couldn’t be at the cost of the integrity of the character, so I defended that every step of the way. Night [shyamalan] and I were certainly on the same page about it all.”

• Love 1

What I don't understand about the books, and by extension, the series, is why is everybody so mean and awful? I thought there must be some point to it until i got to the big reveal, and then it ceased to make any sense at all. If all TPTB want is for Ethan to accept his fate and become a part of WP, why are they going out of their way to alienate him and make him doubly determined to "get to the bottom of this?" For example, why accuse him of murdering his fellow agent and/or deny him a room at the hotel? Who cares if he doesn't have any of their fake money or ID? They made the place so miserable for him that it's no wonder he spends all of his time trying to escape. 

I've only read the first book and have no particular desire to read the other two. And if they go full Under the Dome with this, then I am out. 

• Love 5

It's all very fuzzy, IMO.  I mean, they claim they've tried to integrate him twice before, and this is the last attempt, so they're trying to "break his mind" like that's going to help?  I mean, sure, we need some strong leaders with broken minds in this town.  Makes sense.  Plus, I've been thinking why in the HELL would you bring ANY kind of federal agent into this situation??  Of COURSE he's going to fight. He has the training and the authority. And Pilcher chooses three of them??

But my kid says it does all make sense if you're a crazy megalomaniac.  So it makes sense to THAT GUY.  Which is why it actually doesn't work out so well.  (Winston up above commented similarly)  So I'm going to go with that.  It's a stupid, horrible plan that this guy happened to have enough money to make happen, and these folks are all just a victim of it.  If you squint and look at it from the right angle, it's not the writer's fault.  ;P

I've only read the first book and have no particular desire to read the other two. And if they go full Under the Dome with this, then I am out. 

Since this is the books thread, do you want me to explain where it goes from here?  I never watched Under The Dome, so I don't know if it compares in any way.

• Love 3

Well, what I mean by full under The Dome, is that the writers of that show took Stephen King's basic premise and just totally took off in a crazypants direction. This series is already jutting off from the first book. Maybe I'll have to read the other two just so I can gripe about it. 

Having "read" them all (skimming quickly on a Kindle), my opinion so far is that the opposite is happening.  Instead of jutting off, it's just oversimplifying it.  Which seems to defeat the purpose of a ten episode series.  But, of course, I've only seen three episodes!  lol  So, it remains to be seen.

I can see that some if it has to be changed, because creating the outside world would be super expensive.  But I don't really like the changes to the characters or the pacing.  I'm not sure you could take this in a MORE crazypants direction.  He starts interacting with the people who are in on it in the next book.  Read it so we can have more gripers.  :)

• Love 1

Well, what I mean by full under The Dome, is that the writers of that show took Stephen King's basic premise and just totally took off in a crazypants direction. This series is already jutting off from the first book. Maybe I'll have to read the other two just so I can gripe about it. 

Yeah, do read it so we have more gripers.  It's not like we can talk about it in the ep threads really.  

It's not as bad a Under the Dome because it's 3 books crammed into 10 episodes, whereas Dome is one book's rough premise dragged out to godknowshowmany seasons.  I quit that after one annoying season.  

I'm curious why in the show (IIRC it wasn't in the book) there was no trace of Ethan's DNA in the wrecked car.  Or is Adam lying to make it seem like Ethan bailed on his life before arriving at WP, to throw off suspicion?  I don't even recall if that line was his.  

One thing I miss about the fetes is in the book the people sounded like they dressed for Rocky Horror Picture Show for them.  No such luck on tv.  Pope wore an abbie skull hat, e.g.

I'm slowing down on book 3.  The carnage is a bit much.  And I'm realizing Kindle Unlimited doesn't have many books with Audible companion so I better leave this one for when I need audio.

I'm guessing it'll be a realization of someone in the book later one, but the people of WP are the real aberrations, not the critters.  

In that interview Dillon kind of reminded me a little of his brother's Entourage character, Johnny Drama.

I've read book one. It seems like I shouldn't bother with the other two in relation to the show?

I read the Kindle intro for book two, but I paid $1.99 for book one, and it seems stupid to pay $5.99 for book two when I'm just iffy.  

So any insight on the next two would be great. Spoiler tags if necessary.

As for what has happened thus far on the show, I'm glad they went ahead and brought the wife and son in. I feel like it will add an extra layer of motivation for Ethan to not go completely off the deep end, especially if he isn't immediately told the truth next week.  

I noticed that the Burkes already had a mailbox when he was talking to Jenkins and it didn't appear to be right outside Beverly's house; are we to assume that they have one house and have all been put in Beverly's old house post this most recent re-animation? Surely one of them will see the mailbox.

I thought the 10 show episodes were supposed to cover all 3 books. I couldn't wait to read the rest once I finished the first one, and really liked them; but #3 is quite graphic. It was disturbing, but maybe that's just me. However, being disturbed sure beats being bored. 

It was disappointing to learn there would be no book 4.

• Love 1

Mindy- I bought book one but then did a free trial of Kindle Unlimited and got books 2 and 3 free.  I thought the first one was the best.  I just finished the 3rd yesterday and it all kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm picky.  I thought he did a laughable job with the romance parts, particularly.  And I liked the final wisdom Ethan had at the very end but then his actions made me think WTF.  

I mean, realizing that man is an explorer was terrific.  But then for them to crawl back in their cryo-pods, not go explore and find a more temperate climate?  If earth is evolving away from humanity the odds it'll be better for them in 70,000 years are slim to none.  

Coincidentally, DirecTV shut me off yesterday, 3 weeks earlier than my planned summer (and hopefully longer) unplug so I don't even have access to the future episodes now, unless I buy them on Hulu.  Not sure I will.  You guys will have to let me know if it's worth it.  Maybe they're free online somewhere, too.  I don't see them on my current plans-- Netflix and Amazon Prime.  

I thought he did a laughable job with the romance parts, particularly.

That's putting it kindly.   It appears the show will be avoiding some of that, which would be great - it added nothing to the story, was a

ridiculous motive for Adam to betray Ethan

and yes, was badly written.  The show has Theresa more in control of her decisions I think, she seemed to more passively accept things in the books. 

Maybe the helicopter scene was too complicated to film?  Having Pilcher coldbloodedly leave Pope with the abbies would have a great scene, you realize just how cold and crazy he is.  Pope comes off in the show as nutty as well as power-crazed, I don't think he was quite as nutty in the book (most people were wearing costumes so I don't count that).  Or possibly it was a time limitation in the show, Ethan has to find the bunker and have conversations with Pilcher IIRC before getting into the helicopter, maybe there was no time to film all of that. 

So any insight on the next two would be great. Spoiler tags if necessary.

In Book 2

Adam

ventures outside of WP exploring and I found those parts of the book compelling.  Most of the rest was a slog for me though

a whole lot of crap about Theresa living with Adam, who went into cryosleep so he could be reunited with her and get Ethan out of the way, of all ridiculous things.

I thought 3 wrapped up the basics pretty well, but does leave things open for more to happen.  I didn't realize there would be no 4th book as Broderbits says, there could be more story I thought,

especially with the abbies building their own type of society.

• Love 2
(edited)

Coincidentally, DirecTV shut me off yesterday, 3 weeks earlier than my planned summer (and hopefully longer) unplug so I don't even have access to the future episodes now, unless I buy them on Hulu.  Not sure I will.  You guys will have to let me know if it's worth it.  Maybe they're free online somewhere, too.  I don't see them on my current plans-- Netflix and Amazon Prime.  

The first few episodes have been free on the Fox website, so maybe the whole series is.

http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines

Edited by peach
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's putting it kindly.   It appears the show will be avoiding some of that, which would be great - it added nothing to the story, was a

ridiculous motive for Adam to betray Ethan

and yes, was badly written.  The show has Theresa more in control of her decisions I think, she seemed to more passively accept things in the books. 

I felt like someone told him to make the story have a love triangle to be more like The Hunger Games, so he forced it in.  Theresa's note to Adam sounded like something a high school boy would write, thinking it's romantic.  And you're right, she was written as a pretty weak, reactive woman.  

Then poor Kate and Adam, Secret Service agents who survived hell and back, were reduced to

being co-suicidal over losing the loves of their lives-- the Amazing Burkes.  

The first few episodes have been free on the Fox website, so maybe the whole series is.

http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines

Oh thanks!  I thought I checked there and it asked for my cable/dish provider.  

Edited by Guest

I did watch the latest ep on fox.com finally.  Wow, it's really gone off the rails from the book.  I imagine the reveal will be the same but otherwise it's kind of 'same characters, different story'.  Theresa wasn't former Secret Service.  No school scenes were in the book.  No Andy.  Ethan knew the whole explanation when he was made sheriff.  

I like how the show is filling us in concerning the children's "education"; the books could have used a little more information in that area. Plus now I don't feel quite so bad about what happens to the teacher.

(edited)

My biggest beef is probably that someone thawed out on a timer but they also claim the people have no blood in cryo so I don't see how anyone could be the first to revive unassisted.  

The book explains a lot of peoples' other questions.  I tried to spell some out under spoiler tags but they didn't seem to work so I deleted it.

In the book there was no other twist.  That was it. Pilcher chose that geographic area because it was a naturally protected valley.  He built the town in present times then rebuilt it when they awoke centuries later.  I guess his mountain warehouse had tons of building supplies and appliances. They do farm and ranch buffalo and book 3 reveals they are getting low on supplies they can't farm, like flour and sugar and salt. I don't believe they had cricket speakers in the book. The adults did freak out when told the truth so he started with the lies, because he said they remained more docile and less likely to kill themselves. It's sci fi and not terribly realistic.

Edited by Guest
removed tags, since this is now in the book talk topic

Well, this is quite different from the books, now, isn't it? The kids knowing is a huge departure, and in the books, the ever popular Theresa was in WP for 5 years before Ethan..but now she and Ben came later..so what about the big love triangle? 

I have to say..I love science fiction..and these books were just not very good. They did get me involved and I raced through all three, but there is so much that makes little or no sense, when you think about it later. 

First and foremost..why Idaho? Sure you had a small protected town, but the climate is untenable. There are no professionals and scientists and no effort to teach the people survival in a hostile environment. With all of Pilcher's planning for the future..he forgot to plan for the FUTURE! And why kill the few people you have left, over a few broken rules? So, so stupid. 

• Love 3

Well, the whole series isn't up there NOW.....

Well, no, but we were talking about if I'd have to buy Hulu to see the rest of it, not if there was a place to binge watch it before the broadcast dates.

Well, this is quite different from the books, now, isn't it? The kids knowing is a huge departure, and in the books, the ever popular Theresa was in WP for 5 years before Ethan..but now she and Ben came later..so what about the big love triangle? 

I have to say..I love science fiction..and these books were just not very good. They did get me involved and I raced through all three, but there is so much that makes little or no sense, when you think about it later. 

First and foremost..why Idaho? Sure you had a small protected town, but the climate is untenable. There are no professionals and scientists and no effort to teach the people survival in a hostile environment. With all of Pilcher's planning for the future..he forgot to plan for the FUTURE! And why kill the few people you have left, over a few broken rules? So, so stupid. 

I think the kids knew everything or at least most of it in the books, didn't they?  They were shown the abbies and knew about Pilcher.  The books just didn't really go into it much at all.  

I agree, it's not the best science fiction out there by a long shot.  But it was a quick, cheap three books and I've read worse.  Twilight book 1 was much worse.  I didn't read the rest of those.  Actually, I didn't even get through book 3 of The Hunger Games.  

Winston is correct, we were given to believe the kids were told much of the truth but the books didn't have any details about "orientation".

As to Pilcher's planning for the future: his plan was to preserve a select group of people and play God in his own version of Sim City. He had the money and technical know-how to accomplish this, and not even his own daughter could stop him. Punishing those who broke the rules was necessary to maintain order and release tension. It might seem harsh to us, but look what happened when Ethan told everyone the truth. They couldn't HANDLE the truth!

I don't believe they had cricket speakers in the book.

They did - I think it's one of the first things Ethan notices in the book as he walks around town; he finds a speaker.

Regarding the why, Pilcher was a brilliant but insane megalomaniac.  He wanted to be god of his universe and set it up so he could be; all his talk about saving the human race was blather and justification for kidnapping people and keeping them in the dark.  It's not really explained why his staff (just general stuff about loyalty and giving them a lot of money in the present world, before the cryo sleep), other than Pam, would go along with him but like Winston 9-DT3 says, it's not the best sci fi out there; a quick read with a lot of flaws, but I liked the concept.

I wasn't too impressed with the reveal episode as compared to the book reveal.  Ethan nearly being eaten, then chased by abbies, climbing the rock face, etc was much more tense than what we saw in this episode - he was barely attacked!  Plus when being lifted in the helicopter they are chased by I think hundreds of abbies, not just a few.  I guess that's budget constraints, but the danger of the abbies was very clear in the books and is less so in the show.  Plus without seeing Pilcher leave Pope to the abbies, we don't get a sense of how crazy and cold he is.  The scope of there being millions of them isn't there, so it doesn't seem as important to stay in WP.  Again, I know TV and budget and maybe it will be shown more later, or Ethan will be re-set again as he was in the books; maybe he challenges Pilcher who puts him into the sleep again?  I know that happened in the first book.   Looking at the ep thread, it worked for people anyway.

• Love 3

I’ve read the first two books between the last two episodes to air.  There are a lot of changes I don’t like.  Like, why change when Theresa was woken in the show vs the book?  Although, I do like that she is trying to figure this out, too. 

It also appears that what they are teaching the “First Generation” is different in the show and the book.  In the books, they teach the kids that Pilcher is literally God.  It doesn’t appear that that’s what their doing in the show (thankfully!)

I enjoyed the book Pam over the show Pam.  I mean, not really but the character was more interesting and psychotic.  I do appreciate Melissa Leo as an actress so I enjoy watching her, but I just have to think of show Pam as a totally different person.

I actually enjoyed in the book that Pilcher was being really paranoid and the “resistance” was just a group of people finding a place to go and actually be themselves and talk about what they want.  I guess that doesn’t make for interesting television.  I’m not crazy about the (apparent) violence/mayhem that the TV resistance group is planning.  But, we’ll see.

One thing I hated in the two books I read was the “twist” that Tobias was Adam Hassler.  I don’t think it was a creative twist.  It was a cheap cop-out.  First, I figured it out pretty early.  Second, why would a man who was always referred to by either his first name (personally) or by his last name (professionally) all of a sudden go by his middle name?  Anyway, it appears, so far anyway, that this character is no longer on the show and therefore is not an obstacle in the Ethan/Theresa marriage.  

I still have to read book 3.  I just haven’t had much time.

Well, I've read all three books, and frankly, they were terrible. The whole premise makes zero sense to me. When people started having mutant children, wouldn't they notice? And If they haven't had any mutant children at the time that Pilcher had his big idea, how did he know it was going to happen? I don't know enough about genetics to really explain why this makes no sense to me, but if genetic testing is showing a mutant gene..how large was his sample? How does he know it's world wide? (funny if it was just in Idaho, and the rest of the world is just fine!) 

And his meltdown in the third book? OMG..so stupid! I hated that twist, and the fact that there were no real plans for sustainability. Pilcher..worst. genius. ever! 

I am still watching the show, for pretty much the same reason i watched Under the Dome the first season it was on. It's summer and the pickens are slim. Incidentally, I skimmed the recap of the first episode of season 3 of UTD just to find out what insanity is going on. Apparently, people are now in cocoons! Wouldn't it be fun if they woke up in Wayward Pines?

• Love 1
(edited)

Holy cow those scenes (guy hanging, family with bags over their heads) were unintentionally funny.  Sorry!!  I guess the family was drugged, because they didn't just tie bags around their heads and cuddle quietly up together, did they??  I don't think the show is doing a good job at all of conveying any sense of urgency.  Pilcher just comes across as kind of kindly and misguided, when in the books he was scarier and crazy.  I guess we won't be seeing anything about his daughter either.

Making Pam his sister, for example, I think is to show why she's so loyal to him, though there's a quick line about her being a drug addict, in the books it is much clearer that she feels she owes here entire existence to him, that he saved her.  It made sense in a twisted sort of way.  There's talk in the ep thread about why Pilcher didn't stock engineers, etc - probably because he figured professional types wouldn't be so easy to control.  He picked those with messed up lives, fixed their problems with money and bought their loyalty.  This doesn't come across in the show so there are a lot of questions.  Maybe the show is going for something slightly different.  And the Abbies unfortunately aren't scary at all.

One thing I hated in the two books I read was the “twist” that Tobias was Adam Hassler.

Ack!  Hated that too.  I liked his "world exploration" trip but that could have been done without all the extra BS. 

I'll finish the show though, curious to see if it will end the same as book 3.

Edited by raven
  • Love 1