Type keyword(s) to search

My guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse

• Start Topic

Maybe someone said it and I missed it, but if you were in a mountainous area, a cave, or series of tunnels and caves, might be ideal.  Limited entrances to defend, shelter, some mitigation of heat and cold.  You'd have to make sure there was an escape route that wasn't obvious so that you and your group couldn't become trapped, but I'm liking the idea of a remote cave.  It worked for our ancestors, damn it!

(Re-reading kikismom's post, she did mention caverns and tunnels.  That just means my idea is a good one, because I'm gonna find kikismom when the zombie apocalypse comes and do what she does!)

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 3

BrokenRemote - those Anasazi cliff dwellings are fairly zombie proof, but supply runs would be a bitch.  :-)

Although you could start stocking up now, no one would know, and no need to go out on runs!

Maybe someone said it and I missed it, but if you were in a mountainous area, a cave, or series of tunnels and caves, might be ideal.  Limited entrances to defend, shelter, some mitigation of heat and cold.  You'd have to make sure there was an escape route that wasn't obvious so that you and your group couldn't become trapped, but I'm liking the idea of a remote cave.  It worked for our ancestors, damn it!

(Re-reading kikismom's post, she did mention caverns and tunnels.  That just means my idea is a good one, because I'm gonna find kikismom when the zombie apocalypse comes and do what she does!)

Find me, bring your own chisel, and we can live forever.

(If the ZA comes and you can't find me, I'll shine a bat-signal in the sky over my camp.)

ETA: It doesn't have to be that bad, either :

http://www.greenprophet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/columbarium-cave-apt-israel-1.jpg

http://www.pacsafe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/c3.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8e/e5/af/8ee5af0e81ac7aa4f89219f105e5faad.jpg

http://blog-imgs-35.fc2.com/h/i/s/hisashiburi110/IMG_3720.jpg

http://www.bestofremodeling.com/assets/borblog_articles/cavelandhome2.jpg

http://img.weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Cave-Homes-Interiors-2.gif

http://outhouserag.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451bbfa69e2010536e6dbac970b-pi

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--XKeRA8lu--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18ndqdf9grbq1jpg.jpg

http://cavingnews.com/assets/uploads/2012/01/samls123318d.jpg

http://www.arkansas.com/images/photos/large/BeckhamCreekCave_Parthenon_1719_l.jpg

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 2

That me typing on my phone lol! I am not as illiterate as I appear online. (I'm only half illiterate)

I figured as much, but I just couldn't resist the temptation. As I've said to my children - many MANY times - "If you leave the barn door open that wide, don't be surprised at what might take a mind to stroll in." :D

• Love 1

I figured as much, but I just couldn't resist the temptation. As I've said to my children - many MANY times - "If you leave the barn door open that wide, don't be surprised at what might take a mind to stroll in." :D

A good rule for the ZA; too bad you didn't tell Herschel.

• Love 6

Wild plants have been mentioned. Know the wild plants in your area. There are dozens if not hundreds of things to eat that you don't even have to chase down. If you get hungry enough, stewed algae and thistle salad will sound mighty fine.

Maybe most of the wild, edible plants in Georgia have been trampled down by zombies, like the lawns.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 3

Wild plants have been mentioned. Know the wild plants in your area. There are dozens if not hundreds of things to eat that you don't even have to chase down. If you get hungry enough, stewed algae and thistle salad will sound mighty fine.

Maybe most of the wild, edible plants in Georgia have been trampled down by zombies, like the lawns.

This reminds me of the time I ate "wild chives" we found growing in the woods behind my house while playing wilderness. I had horrific food poisoning and had to go the ER. I still remember the doctors questions me on what I ate and why I would eat it.

• Love 1

Yes, you need a knowledgeable botanist in your group in order to successfully forage for food.

I don't know if it's still happening, but years ago I saw a thing on TV about a guy who gave walking tours through Central Park pointing out all the edible plants to be found just growing wild in even urban environments.

ETA:  I remember one time reading that when eating wild berries to never eat a white berry, but most salmon, black, and red berries are OK.  To be on the safe side you should do a skin test first:

Once you have collected your wild edibles make sure your body will not reject this new food:

First, rinse or wash the parts of the plant you are using.
Test one plant at a time – preferably only one new plant per day.
Test the plant first by rubbing it on your skin. If there is no reaction, then rub part of the plant on your lips. If there is no reaction there then eat a small portion of the plant. If you experience no reaction at all, then all should be well.

Source:  http://www.ediblewildfood.com/foraging-for-food.aspx

If you're still unsure, that's what you feed your captured bad guys.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 2

Of all the crap these people pick up during supply runs, why hasn't anyone grabbed a few rolls of duct tape and armor up the sleeves of a hoodie. Last night I'm watching Tyrese fend of walkers that could have been stymied with a roll of duct tape that almost every home in America has. We saw Milton do it. Was he that much smarter than our heroes?

• Love 8

Of all the crap these people pick up during supply runs, why hasn't anyone grabbed a few rolls of duct tape and armor up the sleeves of a hoodie. Last night I'm watching Tyrese fend of walkers that could have been stymied with a roll of duct tape that almost every home in America has. We saw Milton do it. Was he that much smarter than our heroes?

Tyreese was wearing a long sleeved shirt, but he'd pushed the sleeves up. I guess duct tape would have made it tougher to push up the sleeves, so maybe he wouldn't have...But yeah, even if it's hot, they should have as much skin covered as possible, with as thick a material as possible, at least whenever they're out on a run or in uncleared territory. One little scratch is all it takes.

• Love 2

With the introduction of the ASZ I'm thinking about how they can make it truly safe. A lookout in the steeple is a good start, but what options does that lookout have? Shoot or not? The scout obviously need to be able to communicate with the community, so I assume they will have fresh Batteries for their walkie talkies. But what other options do they have for communications?

Could they modify a local cell tower to allow ASZ to have limited cell phone service around said tower? Do we have any electrical engineers or someone familiar with sell phone minutia? Could it be done relatively easily? If you had cell phone service in a 1-2 mile radius of your community it would give you a HUGE advantage in survivability. If you could phone back to town whenever a group of walkers or humans got near your community your security would be SO much better. You could probably even use those 'game cameras' in conjunction with your cell service and have them send their pictures back to a central location. Imagine if you had a dozen cameras in a 1 miles radius around your community, think how much safer you'd be. Would the governor have been so much of a threat (either time) if you had warning that he was coming, with pictures? Or just ASZhats out and about who are able to phone back to ASZ with info about ... anything. Something as simple as cell phones would give your community a huge advantage, and let you really start rebuilding.

• Love 1

Why not just use flags?  Designate a colour for Walkers coming too close and have people clear outside the walls so one Walker doesn't attract more, another for humans in the event any wander by without an invitation but look like they don't pose a threat, and one for major threat coming in case someone shows up with a tank and a bad attitude.  Flags are highly visible, silent and, with an established colour scheme, misunderstandings and unclear transmissions are avoided.

• Love 4

This is the only damn reason anyone would want me around in the ZA....My Native American Grandparents taught me so much about foraging and growing things naturally, without all the craptacular pesticides and everything thing else that is slowly killing us.  I don't just have a green thumb, all my fingers are green. 

• Love 1

Why not just use flags? 

Flags would work great, if you have someone watching the church steeple 24/7 who can raise the alarm inside ASZ when the flag goes up. A walkie talkie, radio or phone would be better though because they will all give you an audible warning of a message. But whatever you use, communication is a key component of security.

• Love 1

I'm from the mountains south Pittsburgh by WVA. The deer are so crazy overpopulated that without hunters or more importantly Cars you'd be falling over them. And no way walkers could get them. (No respect for that horse who should have broken loose or at least kicked off a few heads) No way an animal would let walkers get within a mile unless they were tied down. Even cows and horses stay in pastures that they could get out of if scared.

And there are bears and coyotes too. So food wouldn't be a problem. Find a house with a stove or fireplace and swipe a truckload of coal. Sorry but walkers wouldn't thaw well after freezing.  They would be goo.

I was watching World War Z - liked the idea that the military used sound to lure thousands into stadiums and them vaporized them.

you could set up barns and a loud radio and dispose of a lot of walkers at once.

If I worked at a zoo... I'd open all the doors. Just for the hell of it.

Why not just use flags?  Designate a colour for Walkers coming too close and have people clear outside the walls so one Walker doesn't attract more, another for humans in the event any wander by without an invitation but look like they don't pose a threat, and one for major threat coming in case someone shows up with a tank and a bad attitude.  Flags are highly visible, silent and, with an established colour scheme, misunderstandings and unclear transmissions are avoided.

Flags would work great, if you have someone watching the church steeple 24/7 who can raise the alarm inside ASZ when the flag goes up. A walkie talkie, radio or phone would be better though because they will all give you an audible warning of a message. But whatever you use, communication is a key component of security.

Flags would work great, if walkers are all you're worried about.

The same high visibility cited as an advantage, however, could rapidly turn into a disadvantage with respect to other people seeing them - especially Bad People. If you can see the flags, Outsiders can see them too - and even if they don't know your color code, the simple use of flags indicates to Outsiders:

• Other live humans are around.
  • They have numbers sufficient to require some degree of communications coordination.
  • Be it food, supplies, weapons, people, safe refuge, whatever - they have something they consider worth defending. Which, by definition, means it's something worth taking.
  • Love 2

Every once in awhile, a hair comment pops up on TWD boards, ie. Daryl's aiming a cross bow as that same lock of greasy hair falls into his eyes. It got me thinking about the most practical ZA hair cuts for survival:

1. Short as in so short there isn't enough for someone to grab in a fight. Easy to take scissors and cut close to the scalp. It'll probably be uneven but no one cares about homemade haircuts in the realistic ZA.

2. Long as in drawn easily back into a tough guy/gal braid. Of course it must be tied off with a leather strap for apocalyptic effect. Now you can properly aim that crossbow. 

3. Dreads take awhile to cultivate but once grown in, fairly easy care. Pairs up nicely with a katana.

4. Longish in back. Bowl cut bangs, ie: Carl. Not the best in hand to hand combat but an easy haircut to keep hair out of one's eyes.

5. Whatever the surviving pro hair stylists/barbers give you.You give them food. They give you the flashiest 'do of approximately 2010. Great for building kinship within your new community of survivors.

Definitely out would be:

6. Bald if you aren't naturally so. Too much risk of skin irritation while shaving, and when the hair starts to grow out.

7. Mid-length hair like Maggie. Too much to fall into the face or get tangled in a low branch. Not enough to tie back. 

• Love 2

Very late to this party, but I have to say that my planning never gets past the first few days of the ZA....just like when I try to write my novel, but I digress.  I keep envisioning things like this.  I walk into my building and my morbidly obese neighbor on the first floor has turned and shambles towards me as I open the door.  What do I do? Stab her in the neck with my keys?  Slam the door on her repeatedly? What if she falls on me?  Clearly I'd head up to my place and get armed if I succeeded in getting past her.  What then?  I "love" near Chicago too, so I'm probably doomed.  And I don't know if I want to survive the ZA.  I'm quite a chicken-sh*t.  But so was Carol at first.  Mostly I'm just amazed at how this show has gotten into my head, especially since I've been rewatching earlier seasons for the past few weeks.  On a recent hayride with my granddaughter, I imagined walkers coming out of the woods. Traffic jams are terrifying, and we have plenty of those around here.  I mean, CDB has passed dozens of those that did not go well.  You need an out, just in case, lol.   I think I've lost my damn mind!  Maybe it's time to marathon All Creatures Great & Small or something equally peaceful.  

On 12/12/2014 at 11:10 PM, Nashville said:

REI is the bestest funnest toy store ever.  My annual REI dividend is disturbing.

Stumbled across this old post looking for something else, and it tickled my funnybone.  I went by REI yesterday because I have a sizable dividend on the books, and I lose it if I don’t use it before the end of the year.

I picked up some kayaking supplies, some clothing, etc., got up to the register, and the total was well into three digits on the big side of the decimal.  The clerk asked “How do you want to pay for this?” and I said “With my dividend” - and when he pulled up my account, his eyes about popped out of his head and he said, “WHOA”.

I walked out of there without having to lay out a cent - and I still have some dividend left over.  Guess I need to hit up the online store....  :>