Type keyword(s) to search

Apprentice In The Media: No Such Thing As Bad Publicity

Nothing like a feud to bring in viewers.  I'm torn as to whether Trump keeps mentioning Celebrity Apprentice because the ratings are low and he's taking a shot at Arnold who didn't support his candidacy or, he keeps mentioning CA because he's trying to boost the ratings of a show on which he's executive producer.  I lean towards door number two.

The show does have bad ratings this season and that's too bad because I love reality tv and this used to be a good show.  If I had to trouble shoot I would say that Arnold is just fine, Patrick's okay and for the most part the guest judges have been ok.  It's the contestants that are lacking.  Half of them seem to be non competitive types who don't really care if they win or lose.  People like Snooki, Vince, John Lovitz don't try very hard at the tasks and then get to the board room and just throw in the towel.  This show is at it's best when people pull out all the stops to win.  If there is a next season they should get a younger group of minor celebrities and offer a movie or tv role as the prize.  Something that ignites the self interest of the contestants.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, zulualpha said:

Nothing like a feud to bring in viewers.  I'm torn as to whether Trump keeps mentioning Celebrity Apprentice because the ratings are low and he's taking a shot at Arnold who didn't support his candidacy or, he keeps mentioning CA because he's trying to boost the ratings of a show on which he's executive producer.  I lean towards door number two.

Personally, I think Trump's pissed because he can't be host AND president at the same time.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Personally, I think Trump's pissed because he can't be host AND president at the same time.

No, I think the show was Trump's baby, and he wants it to do well. If you created a show and had to leave it, you'd still want it to succeed.

I have a vague feeling that the Trump/Schwarzenegger feud is fake, for publicity. 

• Love 1

There is no feud between Donald and Arnold!  Trump was self aggrandizing, as usual.  He leaves the show and rating tank blah blah blah.   So silly!  Arnold does not support nor like Trump and came back at him with humor. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, zulualpha said:

I'm torn as to whether Trump keeps mentioning Celebrity Apprentice because the ratings are low and he's taking a shot at Arnold who didn't support his candidacy or, he keeps mentioning CA because he's trying to boost the ratings of a show on which he's executive producer.  I lean towards door number two.

I've been trying for 20 years to figure out if Trump is actually an idiot or just acts like one for publicity. Every time I think I have it figured out, something pushes me in the other direction.

• Love 3

Please do not discuss the political aspect of any of the people that are involved or were involved in this show.

Thank you.

On 2/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, zulualpha said:

Nothing like a feud to bring in viewers. 

To be honest, I was only half watching the show until Trump made the comment about the ratings and how HIS hosting was more popular. After that, I made a point to DVR the rest of the series and vowed to become a devoted watcher til the bitter end. I am not in a Nielson home; it's just the principle of the matter. 

• Love 2

I may be off, but Donald gave up his seat when he was still running for the presidency, right?  That's how I remember it anyway.   They had to scramble to find a replacement and I always took Arnold's participation as sort of temporary until election results were in.  I don't think there was every any confirmation about him being a long-term replacement.

And, this is sort of the energy I'm picking up on in the show itself.  Far more light with more emphasis on the charities than on the business acumen of the contestants coming from Arnold.

And yeah.  If DT is a producer, this whole thing with Arnold could just be fluff to drive ratings.  Both Arnold and Donald would stand to gain.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Jextella said:

I may be off, but Donald gave up his seat when he was still running for the presidency, right?  That's how I remember it anyway.   They had to scramble to find a replacement and I always took Arnold's participation as sort of temporary until election results were in.  I don't think there was every any confirmation about him being a long-term replacement.

And, this is sort of the energy I'm picking up on in the show itself.  Far more light with more emphasis on the charities than on the business acumen of the contestants coming from Arnold.

And yeah.  If DT is a producer, this whole thing with Arnold could just be fluff to drive ratings.  Both Arnold and Donald would stand to gain.

As I remember it, trump made a comment about people from Mexico before he announced he was running.  Whatever it was upset a lot of people.  At that point a ton of sponsorships were pulled, and there were issues with telemundo, which is part of the NBC family.  And then NBC made the decision to pull him from hosting the apprentice.  I believe his decision to run came soon after that.

I think there was a rush to find a replacement because the shit storm came down so fast.

It'll never happen, but I wish they would do regular people apprentice again.  UK apprentice still has normal people and it's so much better.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2017 at 0:27 AM, RealReality said:

As I remember it, trump made a comment about people from Mexico before he announced he was running.  Whatever it was upset a lot of people.  At that point a ton of sponsorships were pulled, and there were issues with telemundo, which is part of the NBC family.  And then NBC made the decision to pull him from hosting the apprentice.  I believe his decision to run came soon after that.

I think there was a rush to find a replacement because the shit storm came down so fast.

It'll never happen, but I wish they would do regular people apprentice again.  UK apprentice still has normal people and it's so much better.

Watch The Partner with Marcus Lemonis on CNBC next month. Not only is it real people, he's actually giving away a part of his company.

• Love 1

So everything about doing the show was just great.  He loved every minute of it.  Then why is he leaving?  Because the Trump association caused low ratings?  That's a reason to quit?  I'm not sure I believe understand that.  

I suspect he just quitting before they fire him and cancel the show altogether.   

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

So everything about doing the show was just great.  He loved every minute of it.  Then why is he leaving?  

What was he supposed to say?

3 minutes ago, ennui said:

What was he supposed to say?

I don't know ... maybe something less obviously meant to make the failure of the show look like the fault of anyone but him?  Something less transparently intended to make it sound like "I didn't get fired, I QUIT!"

We were all so HAPPY, we all got along so well.  But dumb old Donald made people hate the show!   I just can't be a part of it anymore.

Give me a break.  He can save the superlatives about the producers and quit grousing about Donald Trump.  He just never caught on.  The show is way past its "sell by" date, anyway.  He doesn't want his brand tarnished further by the stinker he attached himself to, and I get that.  Just say something about how you have other projects you want to do and slink out the back like everyone else does when the ship is going down.  Anything more just invites debate and brings attention to the fact that there was a strong probability he was going to be fired. And there is no benefit in that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't know ... maybe something less obviously meant to make the failure of the show look like the fault of anyone but him?  Something less transparently intended to make it sound like "I didn't get fired, I QUIT!"

I think too many people saw the show to duck any blame. He could have gone with saying that the show/reality TV just wasn't for him, playing up how difficult it is. It does take a certain type of talent. Martha Stewart didn't do well either, but I liked Diddy in VH1's take on the concept.

• Love 1

Well, I like Arnold and was hoping that CA was going to be a hit this past season, but I don't think it was so much him as it was having the show in California.  It just didn't have the same vibe and energy as it had in NYC.   It didn't help that Trump bragged about the low ratings with Arnold at the helm.  I didn't understand that since you'd think he'd want anything associated with him to be a yuge success!   I always liked seeing Ivanka and Donald Jr. on the NY version.   If they continue on with the show in California, I will probably pass on it.   The best part of the season was Carson Kressley.  He's a hoot!  YMMV. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

So everything about doing the show was just great.  He loved every minute of it.  Then why is he leaving?  Because the Trump association caused low ratings?  That's a reason to quit?  I'm not sure I believe understand that.  

I suspect he just quitting before they fire him and cancel the show altogether.   

This show was circling the drain long before AS got involved.  I thought the show was good, but I dont like the celebrity format.

IMO, the UK version is a LOT better, because the tasks are real and the contestants aren't celebrities.

4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I think too many people saw the show to duck any blame. He could have gone with saying that the show/reality TV just wasn't for him, playing up how difficult it is. It does take a certain type of talent. Martha Stewart didn't do well either, but I liked Diddy in VH1's take on the concept.

I liked Martha Stewarts show too.  I thought she was contemplative and smart.  I also thought it was unnecessary for Trump to keep calling her show boring when it aired.  Not everyone has to be super loud and super on all.the.time.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 10:47 PM, RealReality said:

I liked Martha Stewarts show too.  I thought she was contemplative and smart.

She was also unable to follow the rules of the show any better than the law. Remember when she called back the contestants who had been declared safe because she decided she preferred to fire one of them instead of those the PM picked?

• Love 2

The celebrity version of this show has always held the appeal of a train wreck. Half the fun is seeing who will even be on it (Sharknado guy? Announcer dudes? Reality hosuewives?) and then enjoying their "roles." It was a better show when it was regular people and focused more on the tasks. Early on, it was almost educational in that way. This celebrity version has always been silly. Maybe it took this long for it to piss away the ratings it earned before it went to celebrities.

IIRC, ratings rebounded when it went to celebrities.

I figure the logic was always something like this: "I don't like the host, and I've never heard of 2/3 of these celebrities. But I like that person, so I'll watch anyway." Do that with 16 contestants each doing publicity in their own little niches and you put together an audience.

• Love 1

With the firing or resignation of Arnold, will Celebrity Apprentice go on with a new "mentor"/MC?  Who could it be?  I'm thinking maybe Warren Buffet, since he did that segment as an advisor for the See's Candy challenge.  But he's 86-years-old and really has no reason to do a TV show.  The show would at least need to get someone with credibility as a business entreprenuer in this role, which is something I thought Arnold lacked. 

• Love 1
On 3/8/2017 at 11:24 AM, SnarkyTart said:

With the firing or resignation of Arnold, will Celebrity Apprentice go on with a new "mentor"/MC?  Who could it be?  I'm thinking maybe Warren Buffet, since he did that segment as an advisor for the See's Candy challenge.  But he's 86-years-old and really has no reason to do a TV show.  The show would at least need to get someone with credibility as a business entreprenuer in this role, which is something I thought Arnold lacked. 

I think its just time to let the show die already.

Trump can talk all he wants, but this show was circling the drain way before this season.

I don't see Warren Buffet being interested in hosting the show.  I mean, don't people pay $10,000 a minute just to listen to him breathe?  Why give it away for free?!?!??

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 1

I'll remind everyone: discussion of politics is not allowed.  If you wish to discuss the thesis of the linked article - that the final ratings decline of TCA was because of the loss of Kevin Jonas, that's fine.  But getting off-topic into discussing politics and current events will not be tolerated.