Type keyword(s) to search

Apprentice In The Media: No Such Thing As Bad Publicity

The reason I'm a big reality tv fan is that it showcases the amazing range of human emotional dysfunction (and occasionally, function).  And we dissect it afterwards online.  Because most everything that happens on screen is something we've witnessed in a different form in real life.  The know it all person.  The talks a lot but does nothing person.  The mean girls.  The obnoxious guy who throws a tantrum when you dare to point out something obnoxious he's done.  The SABATWAH!

Celebrity reality shows just jazz it up with people we thought we knew. No, I had no idea Dionne Warwick was a jerk.  Yes, I was amazed that I ended up liking Tammy Faye Baker and Rodney King.

• Love 3

I just saw the Today Show interview with Rivera and Gottfried.  That was enough to convince me not to watch.

I didn't see it, but I'd keep in mind that Gottfried is basically a normal human being playing a piece of garbage (everything you see with him is an act).  Whereas Rivera is basically a piece of garbage playing at being a human being.

• Love 5

Actually, Gilbert came off better in the interview than Geraldo.  

That's kinda what I was inferring (even though I didn't actually see the Interview).  Gilbert underneath the schtick is pretty normal.  Geraldo, while a clever man, is also a blowhard, through and through.

• Love 1

Here is former contestant Penn Jillettte's thoughts on his experience on Celebrity Apprentice and Donald Trump.

I think we're missing a link.  ;)

I was listening to some show on Sirius last night in my car and Kevin Jonas was talking about the show with the hosts. He was saying how competitive he intended to be and how he had gone through his entire Rolodex putting together notes and a flow chart of people he could ask to pledge money on the show. He was saying how lame he thought it was when the celebs in the past couldn't get their contacts to pledge money and how obsessive he was with his strategies. It will be interesting to see if any of his techniques work. 

I think Jonas had a chance if he didn't announce his techniques.  Bringing Ian in to the boardroom to force Trump to fire Geraldo and then saying he brought Ian in not to be fired but to bolster his argument against Geraldo... mistake.

Hard to know who could make it work.  I don't doubt there's somebody, but if Martha Stewart tanked, they've got to be gunshy.  Mark Cuban did an Apprentice ripoff as well, and that wasn't so hot.

Finding people at that level in the business world who have the ... whatever it is to make the show work is hard.  Richard Branson, who might have been a leading choice, tried with a show of his own and couldn't do it.  Maybe Jack Welch could but his speaking voice is awful.  Bill Gates isn't about to let the public see him get wound up.  Cuban has already been mentioned and is probably under a non-compete due to Shark Tank.  No one knows who Marc Andreessen is these days even though he changed the world (wait a second... when did he go bald????)

• Love 1
(edited)

Trump, outside his self promotion, isn't exactly the brightest star in the business world.  Surely there are other buffoons we haven't heard of with just as much money and success.  I don't know that it necessarily has to be a name we respect, so long as they bring the crazy early and often.  And a sidekick who actually DOES know what's going on but kowtows is necessary (loved the fact that George and the lady whose name I forgot from the early Apprentice years could probably run rings around Trump in many ways but for whatever reason chose to kiss his behind).  

Sports team owners may be the best bet for finding that kind of personality.  

Edited by kassa

Jay Z needs buzz for his Roc nation (sports rep agency) and there is always the fight to be "relevant."  He absolutely has the forceful personality and ego to do a great job.  He's got an interesting business empire, ready-made for TV.

Trump, outside his self promotion, isn't exactly the brightest star in the business world.  Surely there are other buffoons we haven't heard of with just as much money and success.  I don't know that it necessarily has to be a name we respect, so long as they bring the crazy early and often.  And a sidekick who actually DOES know what's going on but kowtows is necessary (loved the fact that George and the lady whose name I forgot from the early Apprentice years could probably run rings around Trump in many ways but for whatever reason chose to kiss his behind).  

That would have been Carolyn.  Trump fired her from both the show and her day job as the manager of one of his golf courses because she stopped kissing his ass.  Apparently she was far too independent for him.

The kids haven't done anything on their own, though -- by what rights would they hire/fire anybody?  And at least as far as Ivanka's concerned, there's guilt by association.  She was front and center with the candidacy announcement, even though she's obviously bright enough to know he had no intention of ACTUALLY running for President.  Also, that he's an idiot.

Just for the record, Donald Trump has, in fact, filed the "I am running for President" form with the FEC (warning: PDF).  So right now he is running for President as much as anyone else is... what happens when we get to Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina next winter is anyone's guess.

I am sure that, if you worked for The Trump Organization and one of the kids decided you were gone, you'd be gone (subject to the real-world requirements of labor law).  But on the show, they've been set up as the good cops in a way, and I don't see them being able to take over the board room and be entertaining in doing so.  I haven't seen the UK edition but I am sure Lord Sugar could do it, since he has the experience.

By what rights is Trump running for president?  Because he can.

Anyone can run for president. Just ask Ronald Reagan, Pat Paulson or even Larry Flynt.

Sports team owners may be the best bet for finding that kind of personality.  

What about Steve Wynn?  The Vegas hotel magnate?  He had a daughter kidnapped back in the 90s I think.  He's a bit older than Trump but I think he's more successful and more liberal.

I think Byron Allen could be an interesting choice.  He's outspoken, very successful, knows the TV biz.

• Love 1

I also suggested Steve Wynn in another CA topic. I think he would be great for the show IF he would agree to it. With his progressive visual challenges and not really seeking the spotlight in his old age, I seriously doubt it would be a consideration for him. But, that said, I would definitely watch if did it.

The kids haven't done anything on their own, though -- by what rights would they hire/fire anybody? 

By what rights is Trump running for president?  Because he can.

To clarify, I meant that the central conceit of the (original) show is that Trump has a job to offer to the winner.  There's no job on the celeb version, but the whole boardroom judgment from on high thing remains, the implication being that Trump is choosing the contestant that he WOULD hire out of the bunch he was given.

I think the network has completely pulled the Trump plug.  

I can't help it. I know Vince is mess. But I'm a Motley fan, and I loved him on Surreal Life (which needs to be rerun on one of the many channels that are scraping the bottom of the barrel already for things to air.) I'm kind of surprised his charity doesn't have something to do with what his daughter died from, but it looks like he picked something else that's personal to him.

Re: the picture in the article - I'd actually like to see Mark Slaughter on this at some point.

I can't wait to see who else signs on. Maybe the quality of contestant will improve now that no one will have to subject themselves to the Trumpster.

Full cast has been announced:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/01/28/snooki-boy-george-kyle-richards-nbc-celebrity-apprentice-arnold-schwarzenegger/79452640/

The contestants:
  • Laila Ali, retired boxing champ and daughter of Muhammad Ali
  • Brooke Burke-Charvet, actress/host and CEO of ModernMom.com
  • Eric Dickerson, former NFL running back
  • Boy George, musician and coach of U.K.'s The Voice
  • Matt Iseman, co-host of NBC's American Ninja Warrior
  • Carrie Keagan, former VH1 talk-show host
  • Carson Kressley, TV host and fashion expert
  • Lisa Leslie, Olympic medalist and WNBA star
  • Jon Lovitz, comedian and actor
  • Vince Neil, lead singer for Motley Crue
  • Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, Jersey Shore star
  • Kyle Richards, Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star
  • Chael Sonnen, mixed-martial arts
  • Porsha Williams, Real Housewives of Atlanta star
  • Ricky Williams, ESPN analyst and former NFL player
  • Carnie Wilson, singer and former talk-show host
Edited by KFC
  • Love 2

Cast list is out.  I count at least 4 people who have already been contestants on Dancing with the Stars, plus two Real Housewives.

ETA: The Variety article also includes the list of advisors:

Warren Buffett, Tyra Banks, Steve Ballmer and Jessica Alba have signed on as advisors for the eighth season of “Celebrity Apprentice” with new host Arnold Schwarzenegger stepping in for Donald Trump....

Also joining Schwarzenegger as a boardroom advisor is his nephew, entertainment attorney Patrick Knapp Schwarzenegger. NBC has yet to set a premiere date.

• Love 1

Boy George! Jon Lovitz! Whee! I'm in, I don't care if I have to be subjected to Snooki. Though I have to give her props - she certainly parlayed her drunken Jersey Shore stint into an actual career of sorts. She's "written" at least one "book," had a line of perfume and accessories on HSN, had some endorsement deals, her show with Jenni on MTV, etc.

Much better advisors than Trump could get no doubt, Well, maybe he could have gotten Tyra to turn up.

• Love 1

And just a touch of nepotism, to boot.  Arnold's lawyer nephew as an advisor?

Well, Trump always had his kids as advisers in the later seasons, so I guess we're having some consistency!

I live for the thought of Arnold yelling at Tyra, you guys. Live. For. It. Or maybe him yelling at Vince Neil. This has so much potential!

• Love 1

Ha, I didn't even check the byline. Robin Leach never actually went away, he moved to Las Vegas and runs a blog. 

Snooki was actually pretty good on DWTS. And she's a tiny little thing now. Carson was also a lot of fun. A few too many Real Housewives though, along with Carnie Wilson and Laila Ali, perpetual reality show contestants.

Please let Jon Lovitz parody Trump, please, please, please...

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Not surprising, the ratings took a hit.  Not surprising, Trump bitched about it and the host like a whiny brat.  Not surprising, the Governator responded to it LIKE AN ADULT.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/06/trump-schwarzenegger-apprentice-ratings/

Ah-nult wasn't an ideal governator, nor an ideal person, and he indirectly is responsible (as much as folks like Ronald Reagan, Al Franken, the guy who played Cooter, the Law & Order guy, and Jesse Ventura) for Trump being electable, but there's one important distinction. Arnold is sane.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Ah-nult wasn't an ideal governator, nor an ideal person, and he indirectly is responsible (as much as folks like Ronald Reagan, Al Franken, the guy who played Cooter, the Law & Order guy, and Jesse Ventura) for Trump being electable, but there's one important distinction. Arnold is sane.

You forgot Gopher from The Love Boat!

• Love 1