Type keyword(s) to search

Apprentice In The Media: No Such Thing As Bad Publicity

Celebrity Apprentice season 7 (a.k.a. The Apprentice season 14) is in the works! Signed on so far are Vivica A. Fox, Leeza Gibbons, Brandi Glanville, Kate Gosselin, Gilbert Gottfried, Kevin Jonas, Kenya Moore, Terrell Owens, and Ian Ziering.

L2Co1uz.jpg

I think you're right about Keisha. IIRC, Trump scoffed at the notion that he would ever have Kate on the show. I don't know why he changed his mind. I can't imagine that she'd be a ratings draw at this point. That ship sailed long ago.

You might be right. CA usually films in the fall. This year, it didn't. I don't think a new season was green-lighted until fairly recently. Kate will be a good fit for drama quotient. Anything that I've seen her in is heavily scripted so she would fit right in on CA. I don't know if I'm more sick of Kate or just overexposed famewhores in general. I'm going to be watching because I like a couple of the participants. I guess I'll be finding out !

(edited)

Here's the latest rumored line-up: Jamie Anderson, Johnny Damon, Vivica A. Fox, Leeza Gibbons, Brandi Glanville, Kate Gosselin, Gilbert Gottfried, Sig Hansen, Shawn Johnson, Kevin Jonas, Lorenzo Lamas, Kenya Moore, Terrell Owens, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Geraldo Rivera, and Ian Ziering.

LF2DubS.jpg

Edited by DancinCat

This is the weakest season. I have only heard of 3 of these boys. I guess if I had to make a choice, I'm pulling for Kenya or Kate because I'm attracted to crazy, but I'm sure it will be Gilbert or Geraldo since they seem to be the most well connected celebrities and will have the biggest Rolodex for the fundraising challenges (which is all Trump really cares about, not business acumen).

Celebrity Apprentice season 7 (a.k.a. The Apprentice season 14) is in the works! Signed on so far are Vivica A. Fox, Leeza Gibbons, Brandi Glanville, Kate Gosselin, Gilbert Gottfried, Kevin Jonas, Kenya Moore, Terrell Owens, and Ian Ziering.

L2Co1uz.jpg

What a shitty cast.

I wonder how often Terrell Owens called Trump begging for a slot because he's broke and has no career. 

Seriously though, I barely recognize half these names and those I do, definitely "C" list celebs.  I don't have any real desire to watch this season. 

I'm appalled at this low level 'celeb' cast!  Wow, they're really scrambling for people to be on this show it appears...  Sad because I love it!  Anyone know when it will finally premiere? 

PS-- I'll still watch, low level or not because my life is sad, and who knows? maybe some of them will wow me like some  have in seasons past.  Ever hopeful!

I'm appalled at this low level 'celeb' cast!  Wow, they're really scrambling for people to be on this show it appears...  

When Gilbert Gottfried is your show's "big get", it's pretty pathetic, isn't it?

• Love 1

Yes it is.  BUT... you never know who may surprise us!  Some of the people in past seasons who I was raising my eyebrows over really did a good job and showed personalities I didn't suspect.  Gah.. can't think of his name now but the little rapper dude who had a great personality and work ethic....  what's his name... anyway he was a joy to watch.  Maybe some will surprise us.  Let's just get the party started!  I'm bored over here.  Lil John!  That's who I'm trying to think of-- he was great.

• Love 1

I've often enjoyed it when two disparate people struck up an unexpected friendship.  I can't imagine anyone becoming friends with Kate Gosselin, though.

I don't know, but I feel like I've been spoiled about this cast forever now. I wonder if anyone has seen them filming?

The said Joan Rivers had filmed 2 episodes before she died.

Okay, this is going to sound real bitchy, and I hate to think about a person's death like this, but I despise the fact that Trump will likely get enormous ratings because of Joan Rivers' death. This was her last big gig and Trump is going to reap some serious financial reward off of her death.

Okay, this is going to sound real bitchy, and I hate to think about a person's death like this, but I despise the fact that Trump will likely get enormous ratings because of Joan Rivers' death. This was her last big gig and Trump is going to reap some serious financial reward off of her death.

Of course he would.  He's such a pig like that.

I hated Joan on this show, especially the way she kept calling Annie Duke "...you're just a poker player". So what?

'You're just a poke-uh playa".

I liked Joan a little before and a little after, but hated her actually on All Stars.  Her fit over Melissa being fired was uncalled for.

• Love 4

I don't care if he reaps benefits off someone's death or not (as callous as that sounds)-- just get the show on the air!!

I have no life..... letting myself quietly out the door.

• Love 1

I like the cast, but I like reality tv, and it's heavily weighted that way.  The only one I don't know is Jamie Anderson.  The women are heavily weighted with crazy.  Though perhaps Geraldo and Gottfried will more than make up for them on the men's side.

Can't wait to see Sig in a situation where he's not in charge.  I picture him aligning with the athletes.  I imagine he will not have a lot of sympathy for people not carrying their weight.

Trump and Rivers deserve each other in this life and the next.  

Captain Sig Hansen is going to be on?  I'm in.

Yup - that's all I needed to hook me in (pun might be intended!).   

The celebrity version of this show relies heavily (or did some years ago when I watched it) on the persons contacts, who can they pull in to show up or help out or donate the big bucks for a task - that is where Kate will crash and burn, she has no pull and no real status in those circles and I doubt there is even a "D" list name she could call for a favor.  Still it could be fun to watch her try.

• Love 1

Just saw the official list on the Today Show website:

Reality TV star and mom of multiples Kate Gosselin
"Sharknado" star Ian Ziering
Actor, musician and reality star Kevin Jonas
Reporter and talk show host Geraldo Rivera
Brandi Glanville of "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills"
Gold-medal gymnast and "Dancing With the Stars" winner Shawn Johnson
Sig Hansen, who captains the crab boat Northwestern on "The Deadliest Catch"
Actress Vivica Fox
Comedian Gilbert Gottfried
Actor and reality TV star Lorenzo Lamas
Talk show host Leeza Gibbons
Actress and former Miss USA Kenya Moore
Major League Baseball outfielder Johnny Damon
Former NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens
Keshia Knight Pulliam, who gained fame as Rudy Huxtable on "The Cosby Show"
And gold medal-winning snowboarder Jamie Anderson

There are some good names but some cringeworthy as well.

Is there a separate thread for the show or will there be a thread under The Apprentice?

Edited by Mischievious

I have to chuckle that 5 of them have competed on Dancing With The Stars. 

I am interested on how this plays out simply because this season was shot back in April.  So by the time the finale rolls around, it would be almost a year later!

Why in the world is Kate Gosselin on this show? She is not a celebrity...only claim to fame is whoring out her little children to try to make her a household name. Cannot stand this woman. She made a fool of herself on DWTS and hope to see her make a bigger fool on this show. She has no celebrity status and has no big names to turn to for financial donations. I really hope that to see her voted off pretty quickly so I may enjoy watching some of the season.

Only men I have heard of is Gilbert Gottfried, Ian Ziering, Geraldo Rivera, 'Jonas' brother & Lorenzo Lamas, even tho I have not heard of him in years. Mr. ToStandOn was happy to see the Deadliest Catch guy.

I was listening to some show on Sirius last night in my car and Kevin Jonas was talking about the show with the hosts. He was saying how competitive he intended to be and how he had gone through his entire Rolodex putting together notes and a flow chart of people he could ask to pledge money on the show. He was saying how lame he thought it was when the celebs in the past couldn't get their contacts to pledge money and how obsessive he was with his strategies. It will be interesting to see if any of his techniques work. 

I don't understand the Kate hate. It's not that "I don't like your personality" hate that many celebrities get from the public, it's become vitriol for Kate. I saw a few episodes of Jon & Kate, and yes she was a shrill and had some childish meltdowns, but she had 6 kids in diapers and a husband that was utterly useless. I'd be a bit shrill as well. What has she done that was so wrong? There are entire Facebook groups on hating Kate. For what, her dramatic personality? A man can literally leave a woman with twins and sextuplets and go off stuffing his penis into every 20-something he sees after cleaning out the family bank account and not pay child support and still never get the kind of hate Kate has gotten for being a bit bitchy. Kate's not going to win because she's a reality show celebrity without the Hollywood rolodex needed to win Apprentice, but I'm all in for Kate going as far as she can (I think contestants get checks for each week they stay on) if for no other reason than the world seems to have unfairly persecuted this woman.

Edited by WimminWinning
  • Love 5

What has she done that was so wrong?

For one, you might want to ask Tom Bergeron and the entire cast of DWTS. Most comments from folks in the industry relate to her bitchy/diva attitude.

• Love 3

You could go to 'Gosselins Without Pity' or 'Free Jinger' to read up on her exploits.  As you've noticed, she is someone who causes a lot of, shall we say, spirited discussion.  There was no quicker or surer way to get on the bad side of a mod at TWoP then to bring her name up in a forum.  Their own Jon & Kate + 8 forum was shut down completely when posters couldn't play nice.

I expect that we'll be told to take the discussion to the Kate sub thread here, if there is one.  I had to edit this because I realized that my first attempt to respond to you only highlighted my own feelings and did nothing to actually move the discussion along.

Enjoy the show!

Edited by Zahdii

What has she done that was so wrong?

When Tony Dovolani, her partner on DWTS and probably considered one of the nicest dancers on the show, struggles to say something nice about her , I think that says a lot.  I don't necessarily hate her but there was something her where she seems entitled. 

• Love 1

Yes!  I saw a commercial announcing it would be finally starting on Jan 4.  While I'm not that thrilled about the contestants yet, I usually am surprised by some of the ones on the show and end up liking someone I had been originally not interested in at all.  Let's hope that's the case this time! :)

• Love 1

I don't understand the Kate hate. It's not that "I don't like your personality" hate that many celebrities get from the public, it's become vitriol for Kate. I saw a few episodes of Jon & Kate, and yes she was a shrill and had some childish meltdowns, but she had 6 kids in diapers and a husband that was utterly useless. I'd be a bit shrill as well. What has she done that was so wrong? There are entire Facebook groups on hating Kate. For what, her dramatic personality? A man can literally leave a woman with twins and sextuplets and go off stuffing his penis into every 20-something he sees after cleaning out the family bank account and not pay child support and still never get the kind of hate Kate has gotten for being a bit bitchy. Kate's not going to win because she's a reality show celebrity without the Hollywood rolodex needed to win Apprentice, but I'm all in for Kate going as far as she can (I think contestants get checks for each week they stay on) if for no other reason than the world seems to have unfairly persecuted this woman.

I never minded Kate either.  I remember how often Jon would just stand there looking dumbfounded when they're getting ready to go somewhere, and Kate would have to tell him to start putting shoes on or whatever.  I know she spoke sharply to him at times, but I would've been pretty exasperated myself.  And the guy wasn't working.  He had plenty of time to help a lot with those kids.  I know Kate has OCD (I do too), and it's impossible for us to live in a disorganized fashion.  It destroys our peace of mind, even though we know our OCD makes us hard to deal with.

That being said, I think she'd be good on the Apprentice challenges, except that you have to have rich friends to call for donations, and Kate probably doesn't have any.  But there are others in the same boat.  Who is Sig Hansen going to call?  I'm rooting for Captain Sig, though.

Edited by technorebel

The only way to win this show is to know folks with super deep pockets who are willing to shell out many thousands in support of whatever charity challenge the candidate is leading.   It is the one metric Trump values above all else:  Cash brought in.

The first thing I thought when I heard Sig was on the show was, "Who is gonna come across the country and buy some worthless item on his behalf?"   The real money in Sig's industry is owned by conglomerate canneries/distributors.  They are not known for being loose with their cash.  I hope, at least, Sig chose some lost seamen's fund as his charity.  

Sig has a lot of side businesses - marketing seafood on QVC (or something like QVC), video games, and Pixar connections from Cars 2.  And fishermen are not necessarily hard to separate from their money when they're flush, especially for a fishing charity.  Of course for that he'd have to be well liked, and I'm not positive he really is within the fleet.  I'm sure the other Deadliest Catch guys will kick in at least once, especially if they can show up in person on camera.  

Not like being a Playboy Bunny, though -- they grab the best donations.  Maybe Hef has a little book of secrets on people.

That being said, I think she'd be good on the Apprentice challenges, except that you have to have rich friends to call for donations, and Kate probably doesn't have any.  But there are others in the same boat.  Who is Sig Hansen going to call?  I'm rooting for Captain Sig, though.

Not every challenge requires the friend donations. They do usually include other type of challenges, like the 'design the display case/marketing' type challenge that is then won by a decision of a Trump-person and the product's owner/representative.  Those typically don't earn as much money, since the amount is coming just from the product company with maybe a sweetener from Trump.  Granted you probably need to do well on a donation to win the show (since sometimes people have gotten 'fired' because they didn't bring much/any money during another leader's donation challenge), but you can get far without it, if you're good/lucky enough.

But Kate's OCD will probably grate on some other celebrity and she'll get on their bad side, which will lead to fun drama and probably her firing.

• Love 1

NPR is not happy the show is returning:

'The Apprentice' Is Dead, Please Stop 'The Celebrity Apprentice'

More often than not I agree with NPR, but I can't here.  I love the trainwreckiness of Celeb Apprentice.  The show is grotesque and embarrassing, sure, but it parallels Donald Trump turning from a halfway respected businessman/mentor on the show into a totally gross and embarrassing figure, so they match.  It's more interesting than most of what's on Bravo (to use another network that regularly eschews the same values that NBC briefly dips into each time they air The Celebrity Apprentice)--and essentially no worse in how it treats Celebrity culture.  It's not a show to be respected, as maybe Amazing Race and maybe even to some extent Survivor and Top Chef are, but I do think it's a show that can be enjoyed sans respect.  It's a zoo, or maybe even more properly a safari, and we're driving through and staring at the animals.  Using the argument that it's not the serious show it started as ignores the fact that contestants like Omarosa were part of it from the very beginning anyway (as well as future continuing reality star Bill Rancic). I say fie on NPR.  This is crap that knows it's crap. Very different from crap that's that way in ignorance.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Heh, I don't think I always agreed with her back on TWoP either.  If there was a period where The Apprentice didn't have to be taken in the spirit of being a total circus, it was a brief one.  The choice was either to learn to appreciate it AS that circus, or just ignore it.  I think the current Celeb version is fine, because it's pretty clear what it is--total batshit insanity.

• Love 6