Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: Trivia And Other Gossip

• Start Topic

r

I wish I had a link, but Nathan Fillion did an interview on a late night talk show either during the first season or directly after, and he admitted to the host that on behalf of the cast and crew he had to ask Stana to stop being such a bitch. Basically she was disliked by more than just Nathan. I suppose to appease the hardcore shipper fans (and more than likely prompted by producers), they kissed and made up. 

I kind of find this really hard to believe because Nathan Fillion is, as I believe Linda Holmes once put it, 'pretty good at being famous.' In other words, he's pretty affable on Twitter, knows how to make fun of himself and I would think he'd know it's bad PR to throw shade at a co-star.  Especially on a late night talk show which typically isn't the place people go to throw honest shade at a co-star.

Nathan could be an ass (he did have that contract hold out a while back) or Stana could be impossible but I would truly be shocked if this was all revealed on a late night talk show.

r

I kind of find this really hard to believe because Nathan Fillion is, as I believe Linda Holmes once put it, 'pretty good at being famous.' In other words, he's pretty affable on Twitter, knows how to make fun of himself and I would think he'd know it's bad PR to throw shade at a co-star.  Especially on a late night talk show which typically isn't the place people go to throw honest shade at a co-star.

Nathan could be an ass (he did have that contract hold out a while back) or Stana could be impossible but I would truly be shocked if this was all revealed on a late night talk show.

I promise you, if I could find the video, I will post it.

I kind of find this really hard to believe because Nathan Fillion is, as I believe Linda Holmes once put it, 'pretty good at being famous.' In other words, he's pretty affable on Twitter, knows how to make fun of himself and I would think he'd know it's bad PR to throw shade at a co-star.

Well, he never re-tweeted any of my messages, he's not all that nice. Just kidding...kinda.

Was he being serious or really, really sarcastic?

I wish I had a link, but Nathan Fillion did an interview on a late night talk show either during the first season or directly after, and he admitted to the host that on behalf of the cast and crew he had to ask Stana to stop being such a bitch. Basically she was disliked by more than just Nathan. I suppose to appease the hardcore shipper fans (and more than likely prompted by producers), they kissed and made up. 

Did he actually say it was Katic though? I remember reading this as a blind item and the speculation was about Fillion and Katic, but I didn't think it was confirmed by anyone directly. Hmmm....Maybe he was joking though? I know these two dated early on in Castle days. I could see Fillion trying to crack a joke like this though?

Who? Nathan and Stana? I had no idea.

Yeah, early on, like the first season but it didn't last long obviously. At least that's what I read. Everytime I watched the show and there was a kissing scene, I couldn't help but think, "man, that must be awkward..."

• Love 1

So what is it about actors working together that makes the romantic sparks fly? Is the time they spend together reading lines and filming scenes? Is it the physical proximity and those pesky pheromones floating around? Or do the actors find that they have a lot in common with this other person who's in the same crazy business that they are? In other words, is it just another office romance? And if that's the case, then how to married actors stay faithful (those that do)?

Look at Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn. Everyone noticed their smoking on-screen chemistry from day one. And then we had their hot love scenes from seasons 1 and 2 (the show went way downhill afterwards, and their love scenes became annoying). But Tony's married and has been married for a long time, and Kerry recently got married. I'd like to think they aren't cheating on their spouses, so how have they managed to keep their chemistry on-screen only, despite a lot of kissing and grinding and touching body parts?

And what about Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison, whose Sleepy Hollow characters are not romantically involved but who still have crazy on-screen chemistry. Tom just got married last year, so I would think he and Nicole were never involved. So how are they able to leave their chemistry at the office, but other actors are leaving their spouses and partners to hook-up with co-stars?

I remember the stories about Julia Roberts. During her peak movie-making years (in terms of quantity), she got involved with almost every one of her male leads, whether they were married or not. She--not by herself, of course--wrecked a lot of families. I never heard about her and Denzel, but there were rumors, of course...

• Love 4
(edited)

So what is it about actors working together that makes the romantic sparks fly? Is the time they spend together reading lines and filming scenes? Is it the physical proximity and those pesky pheromones floating around? Or do the actors find that they have a lot in common with this other person who's in the same crazy business that they are? In other words, is it just another office romance? And if that's the case, then how to married actors stay faithful (those that do)?

Look at Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn. Everyone noticed their smoking on-screen chemistry from day one. And then we had their hot love scenes from seasons 1 and 2 (the show went way downhill afterwards, and their love scenes became annoying). But Tony's married and has been married for a long time, and Kerry recently got married. I'd like to think they aren't cheating on their spouses, so how have they managed to keep their chemistry on-screen only, despite a lot of kissing and grinding and touching body parts?

And what about Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison, whose Sleepy Hollow characters are not romantically involved but who still have crazy on-screen chemistry. Tom just got married last year, so I would think he and Nicole were never involved. So how are they able to leave their chemistry at the office, but other actors are leaving their spouses and partners to hook-up with co-stars?

I remember the stories about Julia Roberts. During her peak movie-making years (in terms of quantity), she got involved with almost every one of her male leads, whether they were married or not. She--not by herself, of course--wrecked a lot of families. I never heard about her and Denzel, but there were rumors, of course...

IDK, regular people go into relationships with people from work without having the benefit of it being their job to make out with each other and pretend to be in love first. Lots of co-stars don't hook up and some hate each other. With actors, sometimes it really is just a performance thing, and they aren't each other's types IRL.

Some stars do actively decide not to act on their chemistry in real life... I believe Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore copped to having crushes on each other but nothing ever happened. Alan Thicke says he and Joanna Kerns were attracted to each other when they first started working together, but talked it out and decided that Growing Pains might last longer than a relationship and they should just be friends.  It's probably easier not to get carried away on a family sitcom because they tend not to have hot and heavy love scenes.

As for Tony Goldwyn and Kerry Washington, the Terry shippers would have a few things to say about the contention that nothing happened there. Personally, I think there's a wide gulf between totally platonic friends and "He's the secret father of her baby!" that shippers and anti-shippers generally fail to acknowledge. And, no, Tony Goldwyn and Nnamdi Asomugha don't exactly share a resemblance but why let logic ruin a perfectly good conspiracy, lol.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't think that actors who have smoking chemistry together are necessarily actually attracted to each other in real life, although *sometimes* they are. It often means they pop on screen. IRL they usually have very different personalities and interests and even different posture/gaits than their characters which changes how they come off around their co stars when they aren't acting. And some of the "instant chemistry" isn't simply natural but crafted from deliberate acting choices/direction and the way the scene is shot. Heck there have been really "surprising" relationships from sets where people who have very little screen time together are revealed to be dating. There are also a lot of co stars who could power a nuclear furnace but dislike each other IRL like Bruce Willis/Cybil Shepherd and on a platonic level Juliana Marguiles and Archie Panjibi from TGW.

Obviously there's a lot of hooking up going on on sets in general with people both unmarried and married and as Dejana says definitely a wide gulf between "really just friends" and "breaking up with my spouse to be with this person". Actually I think she said everything I wanted to better than me.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 5

And of course, her current husband, Danny Moder, was married when she was first involved with him (although he was a crew guy, not an actor). The "A LOW VERA" shirt, anyone? (His first wife is named Vera.)

• Love 2

Don't you remember the Joey Tribiani theory - if they have no chemistry on stage, it's because they're doin' it in real life.  

Yeah I was going to quote that but was trying to remember the context. It was Kathy right? Which later she proved wrong.

'Pretty good at being famous' is a really great way to characterize him I think.  For that same reason, I tend to think this didn't happen or he was being vague or sarcastic and it got interpreted wrong.

With Fillion, I think he would just rub certain personality types wrong because he sometimes goes so far with entertaining the fans and being in the spotlight that I could see some costars getting fed up after a while. 

There are a series of con videos where Fillion was doing a running gag of pranking the Serenity panels he couldn't attend with phone calls to the actors that did show up.  From watching a number of them, you could tell that some thought it was really funny and played along, others put up with it because the fans liked it, and others seemed to get annoyed after a while because Fillion didn't show but was making himself the center of attention anyways.

The ones that thought it was hilarious are those that are generally thought to be fairly good friends with him. 

Same thing with Buffy, I think that there is a Whedon clique that includes certain like minded people. Whedon is in it.  Fillion is in it.  SMG is not.  That doesn't mean she's horrible.  It might just mean she is more of a homebody or more private or serious. 

• Love 6

Yeah, early on, like the first season but it didn't last long obviously. At least that's what I read. Everytime I watched the show and there was a kissing scene, I couldn't help but think, "man, that must be awkward..."

This made me think of Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder.  Man talk about awkward considering the rumors that their break up was not amicable and he got married to someone else like a nanosecond after.

• Love 1

This made me think of Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder.  Man talk about awkward considering the rumors that their break up was not amicable and he got married to someone else like a nanosecond after.

Who was supposedly a friend of hers.

• Love 1
(edited)

I promise you, if I could find the video, I will post it.

Thank you. I don't want it to seem like I'm doubting your experience but it just goes against everything I'd previously seen from him  that it's kind of like a "I need to see it to believe it" kind of thing.  It'd be as if someone said Josh Groban just started cursing fans out on Twitter.  I wouldn't believe it based on how well he does Twitter. 

I don't think that actors who have smoking chemistry together are necessarily actually attracted to each other in real life, although *sometimes* they are...And some of the "instant chemistry" isn't simply natural but crafted from deliberate acting choices/direction and the way the scene is shot.

I agree.  In fact, a few actors who I've felt had a consistently good run of chemistry with co-stars I later found out were gay so clearly not attracted to their female co-stars.  And sometimes a dislike of a co-star ends up creating this tension and edge which complements the chemistry the characters are supposed to have. 

I also agree that writing, the way a show is shot/edited  and even acting choices can help create chemistry.  But I've never agreed with some actors who have stated they feel that if two actors are good actors, then they can create chemistry with anyone (or at least any other good actor).   You can create something decent with writing, editing and acting but I still think there is something intangible and unpredictable about truly great chemistry. I say intangible because there's not a specific real life actor dynamic that can accurately predict reel life chemistry.  And I've seen actors I like just bomb on screen together.

As for why so much hanky panky happens on sets, I think it's because they spend so much time together.  If office romances happen when people spend 8 hours together or affairs happen at conferences, imagine how easy it would be to get involved when you spend sometimes 16 hours together, often away from home. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

Well, he never re-tweeted any of my messages, he's not all that nice. Just kidding...kinda.

Was he being serious or really, really sarcastic?

Did he actually say it was Katic though? I remember reading this as a blind item and the speculation was about Fillion and Katic, but I didn't think it was confirmed by anyone directly. Hmmm....Maybe he was joking though? I know these two dated early on in Castle days. I could see Fillion trying to crack a joke like this though?

Yes as far as I could tell he was being deadly serious. The host asked the question regarding conflict on the set and he answered, "I had to ask her to stop being such a bitch". 

Thank you. I don't want it to seem like I'm doubting your experience but it just goes against everything I'd previously seen from him  that it's kind of like a "I need to see it to believe it" kind of thing.  It'd be as if someone said Josh Groban just started cursing fans out on Twitter.  I wouldn't believe it based on how well he does Twitter. 

I know exactly how you feel and you have every right to question what was posted. You don't know me from a can of paint lol. I wish I could remember the late night host - it was either Leno, Letterman, or Kimmel (2009-2010). I never gossip online about actors and this is one of the reasons why (although I do with family and friends). If it takes me till the demise of the Internet, I will keep looking for that interview.

I never knew that Nathan and Stana ever dated. He always pinged for me. Oh well. Good for them I guess lol. 

Yes as far as I could tell he was being deadly serious. The host asked the question regarding conflict on the set and he answered, "I had to ask her to stop being such a bitch". 

I know exactly how you feel and you have every right to question what was posted. You don't know me from a can of paint lol. I wish I could remember the late night host - it was either Leno, Letterman, or Kimmel (2009-2010). I never gossip online about actors and this is one of the reasons why (although I do with family and friends). If it takes me till the demise of the Internet, I will keep looking for that interview.

I never knew that Nathan and Stana ever dated. He always pinged for me. Oh well. Good for them I guess lol. 

That is interesting, because what I know of Nathan, and without seeing it, that comment sounds to me like he was joking, being sarcastic. 

• Love 2
But I've never agreed with some actors who have stated they feel that if two actors are good actors, then they can create chemistry with anyone (or at least any other good actor).   You can create something decent with writing, editing and acting but I still think there is something intangible and unpredictable about truly great chemistry. I say intangible because there's not a specific real life actor dynamic that can accurately predict reel life chemistry.  And I've seen actors I like just bomb on screen together.

I totally agree with that as well. There's a reason they hold "chemistry tests" when casting anything that requires believability of a bond from family members to love interests to an ensemble cast. Sometimes certain casts come together. E.g. Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis rely entirely on the team members fitting together perfectly almost from the get go despite some very shoddy scripts here than there, the cast were able to paper over them. In Stargate Universe they employed some very good actors who didn't jell together for me and as a result even the more interesting episodes are only ok or "better" for me. (Doesn't help that the writers took out any of the elements of a show they were actually good at.)

Another is MerDer from GA. I loved them even though I thought the writing was not great from mid S2 on as either they were on the highway to hell or book ends, but they really did crackle in S1 and I'm not sure that's something that could ever have been predicted before you have to two actors doing the scenes together, even if script said so.

My comment about acting/directing/editing choices was something along these (tacky fake show) lines: a luxury golf club series rich Tiger Woods type plus waitress fall in love via golf and it is believable despite neither actor being attracted to each other or enamoured with golf. The editing, *music* /script and body language acting choices all say the exact opposite and they make it work because both actors can do body language ques fine and know what the director wants from them as an expression of attraction.

J.J. Abrams bought donuts, & had them sent over to the Convention Center & handed out for free, for everyone waiting in line for Friday's Star Wars panel at Comic-Con in San Diego (at which Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher appeared, Harrison Ford apparently surprised everyone by appearing [though I bet he was also there 'cause his wife, Calista Flockhart, is in the new Supergirl series & she was probably there for their panel/activities], & the franchise's stormtroopers escorted everyone to a special film-related concert afterwards, where everyone got light sabers to use like glow sticks, batons, etc.). The hall where the panel was held holds 6,100; a good chunk of that number waited over 24 hours to get into the panel & I think it was a full house by the time the panel started.

http://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/comic-con-j-j-abrams-donuts-star-wars-fans-1201537842/

(edited)

I'm not her biggest fan, but Taylor Swift did get a bunch of her fans Christmas presents last year. Or, as they now call it, "Swiftmas."

Everything I've read about Swift makes me think she's awesome.

There was a charity auction a while back where the winner got to pick a school that Swift would perform for.  Some a**holes "bought" the auction a picked a school for the deaf, not realizing that deaf people can feel the music through vibrations in the floor and can see it in light shows.  Swift gave each of the students a ticket to a concert, and donated $10,000 in addition to the donation from the contest's sponsors.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/03/internet-pranksters-win-a-taylor-swift-concert-for-school-for-the-deaf/

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

She was extremely cool on her Graham Norton Show appearance last year.  She pushed back when John Cleese made a somewhat misogynistic comment (apparently partly because of a recent bad divorce, and partly Being John Cleese) which he took in good grace, and they bonded over cats.  But GN also had a great segment over some fan meetings she'd set up, with the online commenting being the recurring theme of "she-was-so-nice- her-mother-was-so-nice-I-died."

Eh, I can't recap it at all well.  But I'm pretty sure the show is on youtube somewhere, and it's well worth the watch.

• Love 2

She also just donated $50,000 to a fan with leukemia.  She also held those house party secret listening sessions for her fans.

I know people have a variety of opinions about her but she has excellent fan engagement.  I've felt favorably towards her ever since she started dancing like a fool and like she didn't care during musical performances at awards ceremonies.  And that she hasn't stopped even though she has "grown up."

• Love 2

Richard Dawson befriended a very young fan of Family Feud, Nicole Kelly, who died as young child shortly after he spoke to her on the phone. This clip is from the very last episode of FF in 1985. It didn't make the final cut that aired (where he had given a goodbye speech), but it is available on YouTube. I'm pretty his daughter, Shannon Nicole, was partly named in honor of Nicole Kelly:

• Love 1
(edited)

I love this thread! Thank you for creating it, I'm a sucker for feel good stories.

Being a big fan of Ron Pearlman and Hellboy, in my heart, nobody will ever replace him, putting his full costume, 4 hours make-up included, for a child.

http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a392484/ron-perlman-in-full-hellboy-make-up-visits-make-a-wish-child.html#~piIkW1UZwq6Bqw

showbiz_ron_pearlman_make_a_wish_1.jpg

I think it's not exactly the topic but just because he deserves an eternel shout-out :

165905_slide.jpg?v=1

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 7

New York Giants Coach Tom Coughlin Sends 2 Girls with Cancer to a One Direction Concert.

http://www.people.com/article/giants-head-coach-tom-coughlin-jay-fund-one-direction-concert?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

OK, so the girls aren't necessarily Giants fans, but the premise here is close enough, in my opinion. It's still about a celebrity doing something nice for someone.

Edited by BW Manilowe

http://tvline.com/2015/08/18/the-good-wife-alicia-kalinda-controversy-robert-michelle-king/

In an update of the situation that inspired this thread, Michael Ausiello took the Good Wife showrunners to task for the Kalinda/Alicia scene splicing. They made their excuses, waffled a bit, refused to gossip about the actresses. The usual. They compare splicing the two of them together to putting a character in front of a green screen and using stock Chicago footage. They say Josh Charles wasn't really shot because they were pretend gunshots (which, WTF?). They emphasize and re-emphasize that Kalinda and Alicia having a feud is about the CHARACTERS and the STORYTELLING and not the actresses. All the while everyone rolls their eyes and thinks, "DAMN, whatever went down between the two actresses must have been REALLY BAD."

• Love 5

I don't think anyone came across looking good in the Kalinda/Alicia wars including both actresses and the showrunner who makes crap up about it being about the characters.  Not saying their job is easy, but, with much less compensation, a lot of us have to suck it up every day and get along with people we can't stand in order to do our jobs.  God, grow the "F" up.

• Love 3

The Kings' excuses are bullshit.

Now I say the character’s names for a special reason — we’re talking about the storytelling. When someone sleeps with your spouse, you don’t get over it in a set period of time.

Dear Robert and Michelle King,

Here's the thing, you idiots: Kalinda and Alicia were already well on their way to mending their relationship! Do you guys even watch your own show? Do you remember the bar scene they had at the end of season whatever before everything went to hell? Where they made up? Do you remember the times after that you went on record as saying that the Kalicia relationship was the heart of the show and that you only backed off that when your superstar producer Ms. Margulies publicly proclaimed that she wasn't a fan of Kalicia?

And even without all the above, that argument is bogus because the two work together. Presumably as coworkers they would occasionally share the same breathing area. I don't know about y'all, but I don't work exclusively with my close friends. Sometimes I even work with people I can't stand! It's called being an adult.

I don't think Archie Panjabi comes out of this looking bad. For all we know, she instigated the whole thing - although I maintain that whatever she did couldn't be that bad if the show was willing to keep her on all this time - but let's be real, she wasn't the one refusing to shoot scenes together; she doesn't have that sort of power. I don't expect everything to be a lovefest behind the scenes, because Hollywood is full of egos and narcissists. But I do expect everyone to be professional enough to get their shit together to have it not affect the show. The producers and Julianna were the ones responsible for letting the BTS spat devolve to the point where the show itself was hurt.

• Love 5

Seriously just say "this is what we had to work with" and be done with it. This half answer/"truthers"/hype/childish bullshit is just toxic. Ok for whatever reason two actresses couldn't put aside their differences to film a final scene. Don't pretend there was  no issue, don't call anyone who totally called that the scene was spliced before you admitted it weirdos. I'm more interested in what may have gone down with the actresses than I was before. Shit happens, co workers don't get on but this seems major. Saying "take the scene or leave it" is actually a better response than "oh I guess you are 4 year olds would didn't realise Josh Charles is really still alive". Yeah that death scene was more believable. And don't hype the scene as awesome when it clearly is only at best standard. There are other ending to Alicia and Kalinda's friendship which don't involve the two of the in the same scene which are more bitter but more fitting/believable than that. George O'Malley's death was better done.

• Love 1

Anyone remember the feud between Sarah Michelle Gellar and Susan Lucci during SMG's All My Children days?  It's the reason I have never liked SMG and have never/will never watch anything she's in.  I was a huge soap fan back in the day and even though I thought Lucci was a bad actress (she lost the Emmy all those times for a reason!), I still had tremendous respect for her as someone who had essentially helped put AMC and soaps in general on the map back in the 70's.  SMG just came off as a spoiled, entitled brat.

In other news, Julianna Marguiles is the devil. 

• Love 3

Julianna Margulies finally decides to address the rumors of a feud between her and Archie Panjabi on The Good Wife

"Right, I've heard about [the feud]. Who says that? It's totally gossip," Margulies said. "I heard that question had been asked to Robert King. There's no story there, sorry … I actually had heard [that rumor] and I feel that it has been talked about and answered. I feel people just like to have gossip or make something into something that isn't there. There's no animosity on my part. It's a shame, because I wonder if it was two men, when one finds out that he fucked his best friend's wife, if it would get that same attention, you know what I mean?"

The storyline excuse is bogus when you consider that 1) Alicia and Kalinda had already largely repaired their friendship before they stopped having any scenes together and 2) they're still coworkers, so even if Alicia decided that she suddenly hated Kalinda after all, that wouldn't explain why they were never in the same room together. Part of being an adult is having to work with people you can't stand.

Despite fans and critics widely panning the use of the split screen for Alicia and Kalinda's farewell, with many noting the awkward body language and general disconnectedness between the two, Margulies defended the scene, as well as its technical direction. "It was shot the way Robert wanted to shoot it, and the story line, too," she said. "You also have to remember, there’s difficulty … [Panjabi] was also doing another show, called The Fall. I went along with whatever Robert asked me to do and I did it happily."

Um, okay. Except that The Fall ended production on series 2 in June 2014, and the third series doesn't begin filming until December. 

ETA: Archie calls bullshit on Julianna's comment about The Fall.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 4
 I feel people just like to have gossip or make something into something that isn't there. There's no animosity on my part. It's a shame, because I wonder if it was two men, when one finds out that he fucked his best friend's wife, if it would get that same attention, you know what I mean?"

Oh, honey, why?  She should have just stayed quiet.  They were doing a great job of keeping it at just the speculation level.  Archie was gone.  The furor had died down -- a little.  And now this. Plus the little sly suggestion that the animosity isn't coming from her side.

To add fuel, I love how the explanation went from "The scene was shot the way Robert wanted to shoot it" to 'Archie had scheduling difficulties'... why anyone prefer to shoot a scene that involved double set up, different call times for the crew and post-production editing to make it look like one scene rather just... I dunno... shooting the scene with both people present?

Sigh.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 2

Oh please.    Archie did not sleep with Julianna's husband.   A character called Kalinda slept with a character called Peter who happened to be married to a character called Alicia.   If the show world dictated that the character called Alicia got the fuck over it quickly, then in that show's world that is what happened.    We are talking fiction here, where things happen all the time that are unrealistic.     

I agree JM should have just shut the hell up.

• Love 5

I don't even watch The Fosters anymore, and yet I am very intrigued by this poster's summary of the gossip re: the fallout between Jude and Connor's actors and how that possibly precipitated the breakup of their on-screen relationship.

I couldn't even follow what was going on there because of the number of times the actor's mom was involved in the BTS drama.  All I kept thinking was that 30 year olds play teenagers.  That is how it was when I was teenager and reading BTS stuff about 90210.