Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: Trivia And Other Gossip

• Start Topic

You mean they acted like professionals and did their fricking jobs?   They were grown up to recognize the difference between themselves and the charcters they played on tv?    That's no fun.   

Unlike everyone else mentioned in this thread, right? That's what nice about those two - they actually act professionally. Apparently a rarity, if this thread is any indication.

• Love 2

I just binge watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Eva Longoria was a guest star in a couple of episodes.  This reminded me wasn't there some huge beef between her and Teri Hatcher very early on in the (like first or second season) of Desperate Housewives?  I remember some stuff came out about that during Nicolette Sheridan's lawsuit against Marc Cherry and there was a big to do about Teri's name being left off a gift from all the housewives to the crew after the show wrapped.  But I still remember there was some early days beef and Teri seemed to be in the thick of it.

• Love 1

This is going off memory (which admittedly, can be faulty), but wasn't the issue that she has a raging ego, and was trying to position herself as the only lead of the show, when it was clearly an ensemble? I seem to remember it coming to a head when the cast was posing for Vanity Fair, since I think she was trying to get herself in the center of the photo, and the others refused, because they wanted to be equal in the photo.

(edited)

This is going off memory (which admittedly, can be faulty), but wasn't the issue that she has a raging ego, and was trying to position herself as the only lead of the show, when it was clearly an ensemble? I seem to remember it coming to a head when the cast was posing for Vanity Fair, since I think she was trying to get herself in the center of the photo, and the others refused, because they wanted to be equal in the photo.

According to this link, you're right.

http://flavorwire.com/265996/the-best-of-the-worst-tv-cast-feuds/view-all

I don't know why I'm surprised by the Gossip Girl feud(s).

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 2
(edited)

Even if James Marsters had been younger than he was, I still think it would have been creepy because Michelle Trachtenberg was 15 years old at the time. A grown man writing songs about how underage girls are such jailbait and how dangerous/seductive they are is gross. Did he have a countdown clock for the Olsen twins too? 

In my defense, I had no idea how old Michelle Trachtenberg was either.  I'd stopped watching the show by the time her character showed up.

So yeah, definitely icky.

Edited by proserpina65
(edited)

Growing Pains was a long time ago, right?  It doesn't surprise me that someone was fired for appearing in Playboy.  The fat jokes - eating disorder thing is inexcusable during any era.  I'm pretty willing to give the benefit of the doubt that peoples' intentions were harmless or all in good fun, but I can't twist the story on that one.

In her interview for the E! True Hollywood Story on Growing Pains in 2001, Tracey Gold was quoted as saying this (I may be remembering some of it wrong, but it's close):

"To be honest, the fat jokes are part of the reason I sometimes can't bring myself to watch Growing Pains reruns to this day."

I can't remember if she said she doesn't or that she does sometimes but has issues with it, but it was something along those lines. Those jokes are obviously a huge emotional trigger for her.

ETA: GaryE beat me to them already, so here's just a little more info on the following:

Vivian Vance and William Frawley on I Love Lucy! From everything I've heard, they HATED each other off screen, but you'd never know it by watching the show. Viv was even rumored to have reacted to Bill's death in 1966 by saying, "Champagne for everyone." No idea if that's actually true, though. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
Also, I know Michelle had beef with Ashley Simpson over Pete Wentz.  Kathy Griffin alluded to it when Michelle was on her talk show (which no longer exists).  I would like to know more details about that.  Michelle wouldn't spill the beans, because Ashley and Pete have a kid together.

Pete may or may not have dated Michelle before he got together with Ashley.  The 'may or may not dated' is because some say it was just a one night stand thing but Michelle got a little too obsessed and there was a rumor of a video.  Michelle was in FOB's "This Ain't a Scene" video (with Seth Greene).  There's some photos of the two after Pete's divorce, but I don't think they ever dated afterwards.

I think there was also some tension because Teri Hatcher had won one of the big acting awards right about then--Golden Globe or Emmy.

Here's a video of Kathryn Joosten (Mrs. McCluskey) talking about the cast of Desperate Housewives. She talks about the 4 main women generally being standoffish and exclusive, but not nasty. She says Teri Hatcher was the friendliest to her and the only one who contributed to her Christmas party. She also talks about the situation between Nicollette Sheridan and Marc Cherry (at the 5:30 mark). She is not a fan of Nicollette.

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently I do pay attention (I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed). Charmed was a load of laughs Allysa Millano and Shannon Doherty didn't like each other but then with Doherty's reputation and the fact that Millano was well liked and I think dating a costar at the time....we all know who won.

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)

Carroll O'Connor and Norman Lear came to odds several times on All in the Family, as did Robert Reed and Sherwood Schwartz on The Brady Bunch (and on the 1990 dramedy show The Bradys). 

Actually, the 1990 show even brought up a few moments of tension between Bob and Florence Henderson and Ann B. Davis. In Barry Williams' book Growing Up Brady, he talks about during one rehearsal of the Bradys, Bob began rearranging some of the lines, I guess, out of frustration/his own amusement, and said, in character as Mike, something along the lines of "Gee Alice, if we don't get out of this we're in deep shit." To which Ann--who never said a bad word about anyone--replied back in frustration, as Alice, "I don't know, Mr. Brady--how deep IS your shit?"

Best. Story. Ever. 

The Golden Girls: Betty White has said that Bea Arthur didn't like her, I'm assuming because of Bea's acting background primarily being in theater and Betty's was primarily on television? 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

As I recall Robert Reed was pitched The Brady Bunch as being a serious, Norman Lear-style social issue comedy, which was at least partially blamed on why Reed was such a pain. There were plans to kill off his character in The Bradys in a helicopter crash (with producers being tired of him being such a pain) but then the show was cancelled.

It's a fun laugh to think of The Brady Bunch as a more serious show.

• Love 3

Here's a video of Kathryn Joosten (Mrs. McCluskey) talking about the cast of Desperate Housewives. She talks about the 4 main women generally being standoffish and exclusive, but not nasty. She says Teri Hatcher was the friendliest to her and the only one who contributed to her Christmas party. She also talks about the situation between Nicollette Sheridan and Marc Cherry (at the 5:30 mark). She is not a fan of Nicollette.

Wow.  Wow.  I don't think I've ever heard that kind of forthright talk from someone in the business.

• Love 3

You mean, "I know, it must have been hell cashing those LARGE checks every week..."

I would have no problem with any behind the scenes drama and spats if I could make the $620,000 an episode. Makes it easier to deal with, you know what I mean?

Quick comment. I had a high paying (not THAT high). job that also gave me lots of stress and tension migraines. Eventually I quit for lower paying job with no migraines. Money isn't everything. If the place you work Has as much tension as Two an A Half Men looked like it had. I don't think it was much fun for Cryer to go to work.

• Love 7

Quick comment. I had a high paying (not THAT high). job that also gave me lots of stress and tension migraines. Eventually I quit for lower paying job with no migraines. Money isn't everything. If the place you work Has as much tension as Two an A Half Men looked like it had. I don't think it was much fun for Cryer to go to work.

Been in the same situation as you actually and you are right - money isn't everything (but in this world it is a lot of things). However Jon Cryer apparently was able to handle it because he stuck around for the entire run of the show. He could have thought about leaving way before, but pay raises and financial security are a nice motivator. Also, he may have thought he may not find another show to be on, therefore a few years of "misery" to pad that bank account and ensure his financial future is a smart decision to make. Actors are different - he's only going to suffer for a few years - not 30+ years of working like the rest of the masses have to just to attempt to have retirement money.

You mentioned the migranes and stresses, but how long did you stick around before quitting? A few months? One year? A few years? Would now a salary of $600,000/yr sweeten the pot? And when you left, did you find another job first? Also, what did you have to give up? Being able to pay a mortgage or smaller things like not being able to take multiple vacations and buy expensive clothes? $600K/yr would make me stick around for a bit, because it would put me faster on the road to financial independence, therefore one only has to "suffer" for a short period of time.

Fact is, it's only when one has the money and financial independence that one can quit jobs and go lower paying. That's why there are so many people who are borderline poor/poor but who still work multiple jobs because they have no choice. They would quit one if they could, but they literally have no choice. They have to survive.

In the final season of the show, there were 16 episodes. At his per episode rate of $640,000, Jon Cryer just earned $10.24 million dollars. That is certainly a good reason to not let the behind the scenes BS that has nothing to do with you, not bother you.

Also think of actors who are in action films who have really tough training schedules or physically demanding roles. Like in the Matrix where the actors trained for 6 months before even starting to film and that is was extremely physically demanding for them. Or Christian Bale or Matthew McConnaughhey or Jared Leto starving themselves for a role. That multi-million dollar paycheck sure is a good motivator (along with the Oscar chance). But as with Cryer - short term suffering for a big payday. Again, makes the pot sweeter, IMO.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree with everything you said.  I just didn't particularly like the wording of the original comment and I did make sure I had another job before I quit and I didn't quit right away.    And you are probably right if my boss offered me half a mil I'd have gone to my doctor and asked him for the really good migraine drugs.  i am so ashamed.   I just think Cryer was one of the few people on the show who acted like an adult and should be respected for it. ...he was the only man there.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I agree with everything you said.  I just didn't particularly like the wording of the original comment and I did make sure I had another job before I quit and I didn't quit right away.    And you are probably right if my boss offered me half a mil I'd have gone to my doctor and asked him for the really good migraine drugs.  i am so ashamed.   I just think Cryer was one of the few people on the show who acted like an adult and should be respected for it. ...he was the only man there.  

Yeah, sometimes I type fast and end up sounding curt and don't get the point across as well as it seems in my head!! Most of us masses make small amounts (comparatively) to these actors, so dropping from a salary of say $60K a year to 40K just to give you peace of mind and not so much stress can be a doable thing, but again, you have to have the financial situation to be able to.

When we are talking about the money levels for actors and the volatility of the acting profession, it's a completely different animal. From all reports, Cryer has always behaved respectfully and has always had only positive things to say about the actors, the show, etc. He seems like a very classy guy and a consummate professional. I hope he goes onto to other things and continues with his success. If not, then he had a nice big bank account to soothe himself.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't watch Two and a Half Men, but wasn't there also a kerfluffle with the child actor badmouthing the show or something? Was he kicked off?

I didn't watch it either, but yes there was. In the last few seasons of the show, Angus T. Jones (the "Half" man in the show's title, since he was only 9 years old when it started) became a Seventh Day Adventist & made a video "testimony", sometime in 2012, for a group thought to be part of that denomination (it turns out they weren't) where, among other things, he called his show "filth" & (I think) discouraged watching TV, in general.

Supposedly he wasn't kicked off & he left the show of his own accord. In Season 9, his character graduated High School & joined the Army--apparently after also becoming a heavy pot smoker & having sex with a lot of women. He didn't appear in the last few eps of Season 10; was dropped to "recurring" status for Season 11 & then didn't appear at all in Seasons 11 & 12 (at which point he announced he'd left the show), but he did appear in a cameo in the series finale which aired in February of this year (2015).

Here's links to a USAToday article about the original incident, as well as his Wikipedia page which outlines his "status" on the show once he made the "filth" statement about it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2012/11/26/angus-jones-criticizes-two-and-a-half-men/1727567/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_T._Jones

Edited by BW Manilowe

For those interested in the 2 1/2 Men situation, Jon Cryer has been doing the interview circuit lately for his book.  I haven't read it but apparently he goes over the whole situation behind the scenes. 

I have heard a few of his interviews, though, including an hour long interview on the "Nerdist" podcast.  Apparently, when the show started, Charlie was sober.  Things started to fall apart when his marriage to Denise ended.  He claims it was only bad for about two seasons and even then, Charlie could perform when in front of the audience for much of the time he was back on drugs.  He tells the story of when Angus started mouthing off, Ashton came to his trailer a bit worried about what it would all mean for the show.  Jon realized Ashton hadn't been with Charlie so he was unused to this kind of thing. 

He was relatively kind, but honest, about Charlie.  He came off as very sympathetic to Angus.  I guess Angus did issue a heartfelt apology to the people he worked with.  Jon felt the group manipulated Angus into making the video for their own purposes and that he saw it as a part of being an eighteen year old who felt like he knew it all as eighteen year olds often do.  He was happy that he came back for the finale. 

As for Angus, IIRC, part of the reason he slowly disappeared from the series is because he went off to college.

• Love 6
I have heard a few of his interviews, though, including an hour long interview on the "Nerdist" podcast.  Apparently, when the show started, Charlie was sober.  Things started to fall apart when his marriage to Denise ended.  He claims it was only bad for about two seasons and even then, Charlie could perform when in front of the audience for much of the time he was back on drugs.

Irlandesa, your whole post is fascinating and glad that Cryer feels comfortable and open enough to talk about it. Sad about Angus too, to be honest. He's young, impressionable and honestly, I was shocked when he released his "religious" video. Just really surprised. What I would NOT be surprised about is if that cult religious thing whatever that he joined, targeted him since he had a lot of money. Not Scientology but all religions love their $$.

When I was looking up some Chuck Lorre information, I learned that he himself is a recovering alcoholic. That made me wonder and think that when Charlie started back on his 'downward spiral', Lorre - as someone well versed in being an addict - knew full well how this was going to hurt Sheen, those around him, etc, and tried to do an intervention or at least confronted Charlie. Maybe even several times. And maybe Lorre was less tolerant of Sheen's shenanigans after realizing that Sheen didn't want to help himself. And I speculate that maybe Sheen got pissed that Lorre was interferring (Sheen was using heavily at this point), and started on his dragon, tiger blood thing whatever the hell it was. Lorre gave him chance after chance and finally said screw it and fired Sheen. This is just my speculation, but this makes the most sense to me.

• Love 1
When I was looking up some Chuck Lorre information, I learned that he himself is a recovering alcoholic. That made me wonder and think that when Charlie started back on his 'downward spiral', Lorre - as someone well versed in being an addict - knew full well how this was going to hurt Sheen, those around him, etc, and tried to do an intervention or at least confronted Charlie. Maybe even several times. And maybe Lorre was less tolerant of Sheen's shenanigans after realizing that Sheen didn't want to help himself.

Yep. And you can see his experience in his shows "Grace Under Fire" and "Moms."

But as for interventions, the only one Cryer talked about was one in which Lorre wanted Jon to talk to Charlie since Lorre figured Jon was perhaps the only person Charlie would listen to.  Jon was never a drug doer and he really didn't think he'd influence Charlie but he agreed to try.  But before the conversation could take place, Charlie checked himself into rehab.  The next time things had devolved again, it got to the point where Lorre decided to fire Charlie.  I didn't get the impression that Lorre really intervened a lot because, again, Charlie could perform when needed for the most part. 

• Love 1

Wow, Irlandesa. Again, really fascinating information and stories. Thank you for sharing! And everything makes total sense (to me). Yeah, Brett Butler was fighting her own alcoholism, and Mom has both mom and daughter being alcoholics. Write what you know, right? (common advice to writers) Most interesting.

• Love 1
For those interested in the 2 1/2 Men situation, Jon Cryer has been doing the interview circuit lately for his book.  I haven't read it but apparently he goes over the whole situation behind the scenes.

Jon Cryer seems like a very kind an understanding person.  Instead of being sucked into the gutter and dishing dirt, it sounds like he's giving an honest account while being empathetic.  I keep forgetting that Angus is a kid, and lord knows we've all done embarrassingly stupid things at that age.  Thank god there were no cameras on ME in those years! 

• Love 4

Jon Cryer seems like a very kind an understanding person. Instead of being sucked into the gutter and dishing dirt, it sounds like he's giving an honest account while being empathetic. I keep forgetting that Angus is a kid, and lord knows we've all done embarrassingly stupid things at that age. Thank god there were no cameras on ME in those years!

According to his Wikipedia page, Angus is 21 now (born in 1993). And 3 years ago, when the video where he badmouthed the show, & possibly TV in general, was made, he was 18.

The video was said to have been made in November, 2012, & his birthday is in October. With all due respect, once he hit 18--at least in many US states, if not the entire country--I believe he was considered a full-fledged adult according to the law. And if he wasn't considered an adult then, he certainly should be considered a full-fledged adult now since he's reached age 21.

Again respectfully, I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment that he was a "kid" when all this went down. I might possibly agree with him being "naive", but I don't know that I'd agree he was still a "kid".

(edited)

I'm having a hard time picturing Kirk Cameron having enough power to demand rewrites and firing someone. Wasn't a big fan of Growing pains and Cameron seemed liked a combo of Michael J. Fox and Jason Bateman. Never thought he would be the next Fox. I checked Wikipedia to see when Disney bought ABC ( early '90's) and wondered if that had any effect.

Disney took ownership of ABC in 1995 or 1996; Growing Pains went off the air in 1992, when Capital Cities still owned ABC. No, this was all Cameron basking in the glow, so to speak, in being a then-brand new born again Christian, by completely going off the deep end and driving almost everyone else on the show insane.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

I'm in desperate need of a True Hollywood Story, or some kind of tell all, about One Tree Hill. All those hook ups, marriages, divorces. I think Sophia Bush was either married to, or dated, every male lead on that show at some point.

This is JMO, but I think the best thing now would be to AVOID E True Hollywood Stories for any show that hasn't yet had one. Many of the THS episodes done on TV series were amazing, because in the early days, it was clear they actually gave a shit and made sure to do their homework and make them fun to watch. But now, it's clear they no longer care, so at this point, I would say that if there were to be a documentary about a TV show, have it be in almost any form EXCEPT that of a THS. They are not of the same quality anymore, sadly. 

I'm not sure if I like the age of "superstar show runner" like Shonda. Back in the day, you didn't know or care who created the show, just if you liked it. I suppose there were show runners who were dicks, like the guy who created Barney Miller (I've heard) but when did the show runner being as known as the actors become a thing? In keeping on topic, I surmise that Shonda likes the attention, and likes being known as someone who will fire her actors as soon as they do something they don't like. I don't remember it always being this way in TV, or maybe I'm misremembering.

I mean, there was Norman Lear back in the 70's, but he's probably a unique exception, given the groundbreaking nature of his shows. The E!THS on All in the Family went into some detail about the issues between him and Carroll O'Connor, and he did try to sue Sally Struthers at one point when she tried to leave the show (a few years before she actually DID leave the show), but overall, those are the only issues I've heard about him, aside from his fights to get AITF on the air, and the occasional tension with CBS over what material should be put on air. 

Again respectfully, I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment that he was a "kid" when all this went down. I might possibly agree with him being "naive", but I don't know that I'd agree he was still a "kid".

I work at a university.  The students, all well past the legal drinking age, are still referred to as kids.  Hell, by some of the older staff, I still get a "kid" every now and then and I have gray hairs coming in.  "Kid" is often a matter of perspective rather than a legal definition.

Since Angus didn't do anything illegal, perspective is what matters the most.  The brain is still developing at 18.  It's still developing at 21.  The common belief is that it keeps developing until a person is 25.  At 18, we believe we're fully baked adults and given legal "ownership" of our thoughts and opinions.  The truth is that while one may know who they are at that age, they don't always know what they'll become. 

That doesn't mean he won't be a Christian in the future.  Or that he won't hate 2 1/2 Men.  Heck, I liked a lot of the talent on 2 1/2 Men but I never liked the show.  But he seemed to genuinely regret hurting the people he worked for even though he felt he was a hypocrite participating on a show he no longer agreed with.  And for all those factors, I can see why someone who watched him grow up would have empathy for him. 

• Love 12

This is JMO, but I think the best thing now would be to AVOID E True Hollywood Stories for any show that hasn't yet had one. Many of the THS episodes done on TV series were amazing, because in the early days, it was clear they actually gave a shit and made sure to do their homework and make them fun to watch. But now, it's clear they no longer care, so at this point, I would say that if there were to be a documentary about a TV show, have it be in almost any form EXCEPT that of a THS. They are not of the same quality anymore, sadly.

E! no longer cares about anything except the glorification & overexposure of the female members, specifically, of the blended famewhore KarTRASHian/Jenner family.

• Love 3
If I watched The Good Wife the rumor that Julianna Margulies doesn't get along with her costars might piss me off because she is ultimately "the good wife" and she is the one who can't be recast....unless she falls down an elevator shaft and gets a new head......just putting it out there writers.

The minute I read this I thought of Shannen Doherty & Charmed.  When it was revealed Aaron Spelling was going to cast her in the show (despite her "difficult reputation" from 90210) I thought there was no way she could lose that job!  After all she's a lead character and you can't just undo the Power of Three or recast the part.   Little did I know Brad Kern had other plans.   When SD was fired, she was notified by phone while directing a TV movie in Canada.  Despite Doherty's behavior (assuming it's true) that's rather unprofessional.  

• Love 2

All these posts about Two and Half Men and Charlie falling off the wagon, etc., reminds me of how Mackenzie Phillips was dealt with when she was drugged out/high on Cocaine during her stint on One Day At a Time. I think it was the True Hollywood Story or one of the Behind the Scenes specials that aired on A&E? I can't recall. Anyhoo, one of the writers or producers said, they had given her one warning. If she tested high again, she'd be out. And they stuck to it, and fired her.  That's how Julie was written out for a few years, then came back. I can't remember whether she was okay for awhile, and then started up again.

I have to hand it to those in charge back then. They didn't put up with any shit from the talent.  Granted, Phillips may not have been a big a star as Bonnie Franklin or Charlie Sheen, but at least they drew a line in the sand and stuck to it, instead of trying to cover it up.

• Love 3

It was discussed on both her E! True Hollywood Story from the late 90's (one of the best episodes they ever did, for the record), and in her autobiography, High on Arrival. I'm just so happy Mac is finally clean and sober. She's a counselor for a rehab center in Pasadena now. 

• Love 3

I have to hand it to those in charge back then. They didn't put up with any shit from the talent.  Granted, Phillips may not have been a big a star as Bonnie Franklin or Charlie Sheen, but at least they drew a line in the sand and stuck to it, instead of trying to cover it up.

While I'm sure many showrunners didn't put up with any shit, there were plenty who did and covered things up because things were so much easier to cover up back then.

From what I read, McKenzie Phillips didn't get fired just because she was on drugs.  She got fired for the same reason Lauren Trewes got fired from the Love Boat.  She got fired for the same reason that eventually got Charlie Sheen the ax.  She stopped being a functional addict. When they don't show up for work, or show up late or can't perform, that's when it starts costing money and that's when most producers act.

Speaking of Behind The Scenes, Grantland has an expose on what happened behind the scenes at Designing Women.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rembert-explains-what-really-happened-behind-the-scenes-of-designing-women/

• Love 1
(edited)

According to TVline when asked about the last scene between Alicia & Kalinda, Archie Panjabi merely said:

“All I can say is this: the decision-making process is not something I’m privy to,”

This is so ...restrained.  It really says nothing but in a way says a lot.  Some people keep insisting that the show keeping them from filming scenes together is somehow an accommodation that both actresses are insisting on.   Regardless of what went between the two women behind the scenes or who did what to whom, reading between the lines this seems pretty clear that AP has no say in what decisions are made about how the show is shot. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1

I feel like that Archie quote is basically saying "Yep, the rumors are true, but I can't say it definitively or no one will ever hire me again."

This kind of goes in an opposite direction, but as I was rewatching a few episodes of Happy Endings last night, I remembered there was that rumor that the cast became so cliquey with each other that no one wanted to guest star on it.  Supposedly, Megan Mullally (who played Casey Wilson's mother) said that they should never call her again after her second appearance on the show.

(edited)

Eh, guess that's why it was a rumor.

Grantland had a really great article about some of the behind the scenes issues with Delta Burke and the rest of the cast of Designing Women.  It's nice to see one of the rare times where feuding co-stars were able to patch things up before it was too late.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

I think quite a few shows with strong ensembles (especially sitcoms, because there are more scenes with the whole cast together so they have to work together more often) have had to deal with complaints from a few guest stars about how the cast was too cliquey. I think Cheers, Seinfeld and Friends were handed those complaints too. Although, my favourite store was how Andre Agassi was soooo upset over Brooke Shields' "intimate" scenes with Matt LeBlanc.

Of the newer shows, Glee is certainly one show I'd like to know more about wrt its behind the scenes. I also think a book on American Idol in a style like the one done for SNL would work really really well.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was rewatching a few episodes of Happy Endings last night, I remembered there was that rumor that the cast became so cliquey with each other that no one wanted to guest star on it. Supposedly, Megan Mullally (who played Casey Wilson's mother) said that they should never call her again after her second appearance on the show.

Yeah, I think that was just a persistent rumor. If i recall they actually did an episode just about that very thing rgerads their group of friends.

Edited by DearEvette
(edited)

Never did find out what the deal was with Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv on Fringe... except that most fans in the know were aware that they did not get along.  How, or why, or who did what, I never did hear.  But it was something that kept occasionally leaking out from set insiders, over the years.  Their total lack of interaction at publicity events was very striking and only seemed to corroborate the rumors. 

Edited by Jipijapa
  • Love 1

The E! True Hollywood Story on The Price Is Right from 15 years ago is a stunning revelation in what kind of man he actually is capable of being. All of those lawsuits--oy. But Holly Hallstrom fought back and WON. I love her! 

• Love 3

I think show runners have grown more famous as television fandoms have grown more interactive online. Now it's easy to find out who wrote what episode or who runs a show on imdb. The subsequent television entertainment reporters like Ausiello and the emergence of spoiler reporting and it puts a lot of emphasis on show runners.

The first showrunner I remember really interacting with fans at a big level was J. Michael Straczynski when he was getting Babylon 5 on the air, though that discussion largely happened in the' nerd ghetto' of usenet back in the early 1990s.  He would get incredibly detailed on the big story arcs of the show as well as going somewhat into some of the production side issues, though he definitely was being more polite than he felt after Claudia Christian left the show early at the end of season 4.

And because it was that kind of show with that kind of fans, his comments on the newsgroup were very carefully compiled as part of a really deeply detailed web sit on the show that's still around today.  From the first episode after the pilot:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/guide/001.html#JS

Behind-the-scenes humor: because it had been so long since the pilot, it took a few of our actors a bit of time to get back into their characters, to find the characters' "fingerprints" for lack of a better term. This is quite understandable given the long waiting period. When he needed to find his character for a scene, Peter Jurasik mentioned that he would just stand up straight and yell, "MISter GariBALdi!" and he'd be right back in character. Sort of the B5 version of "Shazam!"

No, the show isn't a year and a half late. As it is, it's less than one year since the pilot aired. It was our initial hope, and my initial belief, that we'd go straight into the series as soon as we finished the pilot. But the studio, in its infinite wisdom, decided that since they HAD a pilot, it kinda behooved them to air it and get the ratings before committing to a series. So we then waited until February for the airing, got the go-ahead to production around April/May, began shooting in July, got a whole bunch of episodes in the can, and now we're hitting the air. That is the sum and substance of it.

I'd also like to know what was going on behind the scenes on Buffy. Although I'm wondering if it wasn't just two opposing points of view more than anything. Your the lead of this show that you're fairly bored with, you're waiting out your contract and at the weekends you go and spend as much time with your husband and other friends as possible because this show shoots really long hours during the week. But most of your co stars and many writers and crew spend their weekends having Shakespeare BQQs together and are cliqueily always talking about them, the last one, the next one, which play should we do? Funny inside jokes etc. You don't want to do because you have a family away from these people but it's tough being the odd one out. Assholes.

You're working on a show with a really great group of people. You constantly hang out with each other off screen and its great like total adult Shakespeare camp with BBQs and booze. You have all the inside jokes and its really like a big family. Except the star of the show. She doesn't want to hang out ever. She never comes to parties she only stays on set the precise time she has to before she bounces for the weekend and no one sees her until her call time on Monday. She seems annoyed with your jokes and bored with the whole thing, with comments about leaving asap. Bitch.

Or something much more diva-ry, she behind the scenes never seems lacking in drama.

I'd also like to know if its really true Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic hate each other, I saw it coming up a lot a few years ago, but I've never been able to tell if its true or not.

I'd also like to know if its really true Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic hate each other, I saw it coming up a lot a few years ago, but I've never been able to tell if its true or not.

I wish I had a link, but Nathan Fillion did an interview on a late night talk show either during the first season or directly after, and he admitted to the host that on behalf of the cast and crew he had to ask Stana to stop being such a bitch. Basically she was disliked by more than just Nathan. I suppose to appease the hardcore shipper fans (and more than likely prompted by producers), they kissed and made up. 

• Love 1