Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Meta, Easter Eggs, and Flashbacks

This show definitely seems to be making a lot of meta comments. The top one that sticks out is Lucas's age, where it was referenced several times how old he looks, and then the show finally went ahead and explained that he lost a year of school.

Another really funny meta comment was about how Riley wore high heels, but then it was a bad idea- in reference to the people who kept complaining that it was ridiculous for a 12-year old girl to wear high heels.

(edited)

Those are the tip of the iceberg, IMO.

The biggest meta thing was the whole bit about Feeny always coming back as Corey, Shawn and Topanga's teacher, and then the (deliberately) over the top way they played out Corey being the teacher for the same History class full of kids again.  Down to the whole bit with Corey magically being 15 seconds away outside the classroom after the other teacher walked.  It was all done cartoony and winky to the audience on purpose.

We also got a good bit of meta with the first episode and Riley in front of those "universe" graphics and her talk about not being the center of the world, because it not only referenced/bookended the "world" talk of Season 1, Episode 1, but also the online criticism of how self-absorbed Riley seems.

Then there's the new kid.  He was inserted directly to deal with a few things I believe.  1.) the (lack of) diversity  2.) the S1 complaints about Lucas being as vanilla and boring as paint drying  3.) the complaints about only the SAME four kids appearing (which is also what's behind little Yogi now having a name, spoken lines, a girlfriend and camera shots of his own).  So that's a meta kind of response in a way, even if less directly than someone turning to a camera and saying out loud something we've all been thinking (out loud and posting about).

Edited by Kromm

I think Zay pointing out that Cory was teaching every subject was one of the funniest bits and best bit of "wink wink" to the audience ever.  We have been talking about that since the first episode.  Also a great nod to BMW fans when they mentioned Feeny teaching them for the entire run of the show.

• Love 1

Just saw the best META moment of the series imo (from Girl Meets Gravity)! God bless Cory and Topanga XD.

Riley: Are you going to be my teacher?
Cory: No. Your mother and I went through that with Mr. Feeny.
Topanga: Yeah, our teacher from sixth grade to college.
Riley: How could that happen?

Cory: In an unexpected-
Topanga: But completely believable way.
Cory: Every year.

Source: http://girlmeetsworld.tv/quotes/episode/201-GMW/

• Love 2
(edited)

Eric- "I mean, people go nuts for the way I look. Do people go nuts for the way you look?"

Riley- "I wore high heels once. People have responded."

Eric- "You're too young. It takes away your vulnerability."

Riley- "Well, we know that now."

Such a great meta moment about all the bitching had about Riley wearing high heels. Honestly, that never bugged me that much. Plenty of junior high girls I knew wore high heels.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Eric- "I mean, people go nuts for the way I look. Do people go nuts for the way you look?"

Riley- "I wore high heels once. People have responded."

Eric- "You're too young. It takes away your vulnerability."

Riley- "Well, we know that now."

Such a great meta moment about all the bitching had about Riley wearing high heels. Honestly, that never bugged me that much. Plenty of junior high girls I knew wore high heels.

I must admit I don't understand Eric's comment. Does he mean the criticism is wrong for someone as young as Riley because she is vulnerable and innocent?
(edited)

It was in reference to all the apparent bitching that people had online about Riley wearing high heels because they felt she was too young to wear them, and that they were dressing the girls up too chic or whatever. I'm like, "These are girls who live in New York City, and it's a t.v. show." It's like they wanted them dressed up as simply as Topanga was, who after her hippy phase always seemed to be in jeans and shirts, but they're forgetting that A.) The 90's are a different era and much more relaxed, and B.) Topanga was a girl from the Philly suburbs who probably didn't care that much about fashion, and C.) These are girls growing up in the fashion capital of the world, with hip and funky thrift stores all around them. I mean, sure- should Maya really have clothes that nice considering she's supposed to be poor? Probably not, but it makes sense that these girls aren't dressing like typical 13-year old girls you see at the suburban mall in their Pink sweatpants and hoodies.

Maybe I just had too much exposure to Sophisticated New York City Stacey from the Babysitter's Club, but I just never really understood why people were so bothered by how Riley was being dressed. It's not like she was wearing hooker go-go boots and low-cut mini-dresses. I never felt like anything she was wearing was inappropriate or over-the-top. And again, Riley is not a middle-class girl from the suburbs. She's not going to look or dress like someone who shops at her local suburban mall. (Maybe H&M.)

I was actually impressed by the Meta moment, because Eric both addressed it, and gave "his" opinion on why it seemed to bother people that Riley was wearing heels.

The funny thing is, if they REALLY dressed Riley like a suburban 13-year old, she'd be wearing a lot of Pink tank tops and tight skinny jeans or yoga pants and people would be losing their mind over that as well.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4