Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Election Day

• Start Topic

So when Kathryn is on the phone to Thomas from Jekyll Island she tells him "I've got your back" and then when he asks her to come home she says "Ok." Her next move is to walk outside and have a convo with Craig where she says she's not going and he backs her up in that decision. She told Thomas she would come home and then she makes no move to do so! They're so respectful of each other. 

I happen to have read the stuff in the media about the "assault" inciden, and the big reason Thomas gave for Kathryn not coming home to help him "clear his name" was that she did not want to leave filming the show. He said (in the Facebook post) that she put the priority on the show rather than being supportive of him. Thus he was so angry that he [got roaring drunk and] broke up with her via Facebook. (There are links to this stuff on the media thread, I believe.)

So a lot happened that of course we're not seeing. And one thing I think happened is that the filming was originally supposed to be all about "did they or didn't they" have sex on the beach. That plot line is totally dropped once the news comes out that Thomas has been charged with assault. Craig even says "whew, if there was fun gossip about us on the beach maybe they'll forget it now". The real-life event trumped the shenanigans on the beach, and unless that whole thing is brought up next week, then it seems to be gone with the wind (heh).

I can't imagine Whitney not running to Thomas and fanning the flames by saying, "Kathryn had SEX [or making his weird motions and noises that indicate sex] on the beach with Craig!" What better reason for Thomas to finally dump her? Whitney would not have missed that chance. So I believe the night on the beach was semi-fictitious. Maybe while drunk Kathryn and Craig took a golf cart ride and sat on the beach for a while, but I doubt they slept there all night or had sex. The previous episode where Craig was drunkenly gazing and flirting with Kathryn at Shep's b-day party was a setup for some story line where they possibly hooked up and then that caused a ruckus with Thomas and maybe a breakup. I guess it all was dropped later because of the assault charges.

• Love 3
(edited)

Whitney acts like he is better than everyone, but really, he wouldn't be hanging out with them if he was. He just likes to be around people that he feels superior too. But he isn't superior, he's right there with everyone talking about Kathryn every chance he can get. I think she is right that Whitney is sore that Kathryn didn't like him back when she was single. Plus, who is he to call anyone a gold digger considering who his mom is? He wouldn't have the life he does if it weren't for gold diggers. He's so unaware it's funny.

Shep is a mammas boy. He will have a hard time meeting anyone and having a relationship because his mom does everything for him. The mom needs to let go and make him need someone so he can appreciate a woman his own age. As it stands, can you imagine him bringing a woman around his mom? You would be dating both Shep and his mom, and the mom would probably become super jealous if he paid more mind to the woman than her.

Landon seems to have some mental problems, she seems really depressed. Her whiny voice, meekness, and girlish giggle about everything is immature for a woman her age. She also seems like she might be having a problem with alcohol or something--- she seems like she is in pretty bad shape. She moans about her divorce and how bad it was as much as Kathryn complains about Thomas. No wonder they don't get along. They both need tons of attention and sympathy, and really want to be taken care of. Daddy issues.

I love Kathryn though. She is feisty. It disgusted me when Thomas called the stylist "trash." Very elite and rude. How would he feel about the population of SC? How is going to serve the population if he calls people that he doesn't think are sophisticated trash? He's a snob. When Kathryn was trying to please him he was rude to her and then did things to sabotage the relationship and sort of gloated about the dancing video knowing very well she would be upset. Then claims he getting upset is the reason that he doesn't want to marry her. He's playing this game with her and that's why she is getting so mean. When people are in bad relationships, they don't treat others well because they are so unhappy. Thomas had no intentions on marrying Kathryn. He just wants a nanny with benefits. 

Shep and Craig seem like sweethearts. They are trying their best and aren't out hurting people (besides taking digs at each other). 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 4

I've watched the extended clip of Drunk Cameran about 66 times now and I laugh every single time, especially when she takes the microphone and tells the "crowd" that "it will never get lower than this." Way to console the loser, Cam.

• Love 5
I can't imagine Whitney not running to Thomas and fanning the flames by saying, "Kathryn had SEX [or making his weird motions and noises that indicate sex] on the beach with Craig!" What better reason for Thomas to finally dump her? Whitney would not have missed that chance. So I believe the night on the beach was semi-fictitious. Maybe while drunk Kathryn and Craig took a golf cart ride and sat on the beach for a while, but I doubt they slept there all night or had sex. The previous episode where Craig was drunkenly gazing and flirting with Kathryn at Shep's b-day party was a setup for some story line where they possibly hooked up and then that caused a ruckus with Thomas and maybe a breakup. I guess it all was dropped later because of the assault charges.

I don't know.  I think Kathryn and Craig have a genuine attraction to each other, and he's been trying to get in her pants for a while.  Only those 2 know for sure what happened on the beach that night, but it sure is fishy.   Maybe Kathryn and Craig didn't have SEX but I bet they did something.  You know, who could blame them?  They're young, attracted to one another, have the same interests, and Kathryn's relationship with Thomas has been iffy.  Maybe Thomas just needs to call up Craig and give him the go-ahead to pursue Kathryn.  I think all the parties involved would be much happier.  

• Love 2

Shep is a mammas boy. He will have a hard time meeting anyone and having a relationship because his mom does everything for him. The mom needs to let go and make him need someone so he can appreciate a woman his own age. As it stands, can you imagine him bringing a woman around his mom? You would be dating both Shep and his mom, and the mom would probably become super jealous if he paid more mind to the woman than her.

Really? What exactly does his mom do for him?  She seemed perfectly nice to me the one time we did see her when Shep was showing her the new house he is having built. I don't see mama's boy at all. Now Whitless and his mom are another story.... 

• Love 3
Really? What exactly does his mom do for him?  She seemed perfectly nice to me the one time we did see her when Shep was showing her the new house he is having built.

It seems that Shep provides for himself and the only means of help his mother offers him is her advice and suggestions on decorating his new abode.

• Love 3

I don't know.  I think Kathryn and Craig have a genuine attraction to each other, and he's been trying to get in her pants for a while.  Only those 2 know for sure what happened on the beach that night, but it sure is fishy.   Maybe Kathryn and Craig didn't have SEX but I bet they did something.  You know, who could blame them?  They're young, attractedd to one another, have the same interests, and Kathryn's relationship with Thomas has been iffy.  Maybe Thomas just needs to call up Craig and give him the go-ahead to pursue Kathryn.  I think all the parties involved would be much happier.  

Forget it. Craig isn't even employed and he is not wealthy. Kathryn may have a little fling with him but that's as far as it will go. Also, she's a mother and Craig is way to immature to be in a relationship with a woman that has a kid.  

(edited)

But he irons his clothes! I saw him! :)

When I saw that scene I remembered that Shep is still searching for the perfect ironing board. I hope that hotel ironing board understood it was being used for one night only and Shep wouldn't be taking it home to meet his mother.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7
Forget it. Craig isn't even employed and he is not wealthy. Kathryn may have a little fling with him but that's as far as it will go. Also, she's a mother and Craig is way to immature to be in a relationship with a woman that has a kid.

That's what's so perfect.  Kathryn will now have access to Ravenel child support, and Craig will have his entree into Charleston society with the Ravenel and Calhoun-Dennis association.

• Love 4

It seems that Shep provides for himself and the only means of help his mother offers him is her advice and suggestions on decorating his new abode.

He talked about all the furniture and decorating items she had bought for his house. But I don't see anything wrong with that. 

However, didn't he actually say that he would have trouble finding a girl as perfect as his mom or words to that effect?

That's what's so perfect.  Kathryn will now have access to Ravenel child support, and Craig will have his entree into Charleston society with the Ravenel and Calhoun-Dennis association.

I could see that. Craig just needs to get his head straight to pass the bar and get a good job with a Charleston law firm.

Or become a high-earning model. In fact, both of them should just do that.

• Love 1

The mom needs to let go and make him need someone so he can appreciate a woman his own age.

Like others, I don't get this? When has this ever seemed to be the case? A mother helping her son pick out furniture hardly seems over the top to me. 

They both need tons of attention and sympathy, and really want to be taken care of. Daddy issues.

I don't get this either. While needing attention and sympathy and wanting to be taken care of may be accurate descriptors of Kathryn and Landon, I don't see what basis there is for blaming it on their fathers. From what we've seen on the show, both of them appear to have have loving, supportive fathers. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I could barely watch the scene with Thomas and Kathryn when Kathryn was trying to talk to him in the corner at the restaurant. It was just so awkward. He was treating her so coldly -- like a stranger. But I understand that he probably didn't want to talk about "them" at that particular time. I honestly felt bad for both of them at that moment.

Edited by Elizabeth
  • Love 4
Landon seems to have some mental problems, she seems really depressed. ... She moans about her divorce and how bad it was as much as Kathryn complains about Thomas.

I guess we'll see more of her story next week, but it seems like her mother is very traditional about marriage and "sticking with it" no matter how unhappy or unfulfilled you are. Landon said something in a previous episode that sounded like her mom was very happy that she had married a wealthy man -- as it that were the ultimate goal. Hmm... seems like Landon's mom would be happier with a daughter like Kathryn.

Seems sort of weird to push that mindset onto your daughter in this day and age, but there are plenty of folks who still think that way.

(edited)

Oh, my favorite scene in the show: When Whitney calls Thomas's office and wants to come by to tattle on Kathryn, Amy the campaign manager says, "No! Don't bring Whitney up in my face, Thomas. Don't."

Haha! Retaliation for Whitney calling her nothing more than a blogger who needed to get a cat.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 8

And once again, Whitney is rendered unable to use his words when trying to talk about someone having heterosexual intercourse.  All he can ever muster up are hand gestures and grunts.

WHAT the FUCK is wrong w him?

• Love 7
Loved Kathryn telling Thomas on the phone that "I'm not 12, I'm 23 years old! I know the multitude of what she's just initiated!" While munching on Cheetos, drinking wine, with her makeup stuff on the floor.

The word is magnitude, dear.

And didn't Jennifer say to the others that Kathryn didn't understand the "brevity" of the situation?

JD is a hottie!!!  Loved the contrast of him in his classic white shirt and jeans while Whitney sports some embroidered mess that look like they should only be on the bottom of a Jersey Shore reject.

I loved the white shirt and jeans! He IS handsome and seems so easygoing. His wife - I forgot her name, Elizabeth? - is very natural and pretty.
  • Love 1
And once again, Whitney is rendered unable to use his words when trying to talk about someone having heterosexual intercourse.  All he can ever muster up are hand gestures and grunts.

Next time he does that I hope someone says, "Use your words, Whitney!"

• Love 2
(edited)

Well he is Oxford educated! I had to rewind when I heard Thomas say that!

I am assuming it was a study abroad thing.

I love Kathryn trying to pretend that party was hers as well and trying to kick Landon out! Sweetie no one wanted you there, well except for the people who wanted to be entertained by the drama.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Thomas is so pathetically needy. He says of Kathryn (in his SC accent), "I thought she would luv me and keer for me." What, does this 52-year-old man need another mommy? Well, Thomas, Kathryn is busy being mommy to an actual infant. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Well he is Oxford educated! I had to rewind when I heard Thomas say that!

I am assuming it was a study abroad thing.

I took this to mean Oxford as in Ole Miss. Whitney had just said "Roll Tide" which was a dig at Alabama, another SEC rival of SC.

Kathryn is definitely on something other than just alcohol. Hence, the raspy voice. I'm guessing Adderal and 100 gazillion cigarettes. She and Thomas are truly a match made in hell. Although, I can muster up some pity for her, but not Thomas.

Landon, whose voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me, knew she was instigating. Not too smart to be confrontational with a geeked up tweaked out shameless strumpet.

Being that Whitless is one of the shows producers, does he know how he comes across? Does he care? Is it just out of his control?

Edited by starrynola
  • Love 4
(edited)

I took this to mean Oxford as in Ole Miss. Whitney had just said "Roll Tide" which was a dig at Alabama, another SEC rival.

Being that Whitless is one of the shows producers, does he know how he comes across? Does he care? Is it just out of his control?

According to his wiki it's Oxford University (he graduated from George Washington) and clearly Thomas was referencing Oxford because Ol Miss really wouldn't have made sense in the context he would have just called it that. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

She's said to be a heavy pot smoker. HEAVY.

Well, yeesh, I would never have guessed that. You'd think she'd be more chill. I suspect there's something else going on --  Adderall, Coke. Something. 

• Love 5

Could be, I have no idea about anything beyond that. It was mentioned in last week's thread, too. She usually has a cigarette in her hand but seems to be trying not to be caught on camera with one in this episode.

Yeah I think Shep said that was around 16,000 people. I can't really imagine more than the approximately 15 people at his party voting for him, out of pity and/or willingness to play along with Bravo's storyline. Maybe people were voting for him just to try to to get votes away from Graham or something.

Whitney really is pitiful. He's so unbelievably petty. When's he sitting in Thomas' office listening to Thomas talk about the election, assault charges, and his relationship with his child's mother, Whitney just HAS to slip in a snarky comment about Kathryn's hairstyles? "Well [hairstylist] obviously isn't a very good one *har har*" STFU Whitney.

Thereby putting to rest any rumors that he may be heterosexual.

• Love 8

I loved the shit out of Kathryn's bird flip!  She threw her entire body into it, and I respect that.  Plus she was flipping off Landon, and I don't care if people flip off Landon.  If it were directed toward Cameran or Shep, then I would be over here saying, "Heeeeey, woah now!  That's crossing the line!".

• Love 15
(edited)

Kathryn is acting deranged. She came drunkenly charging into the campaign party as if she had been shot out of a cannon, and her facial grimaces were bizarre.

She seems to mainline misery and drama and she's going to be bereft when Thomas stops reacting to it and moves on.  She was counting on him sticking around so she can continue to use him as leverage for attention. I think that everyone was horrified at her behavior; they've had enough (with the exception of Craig who's interested in her sexually).

She and Thomas have used and abused each other in equal measure and she has had my sympathy at times. But Thomas clearly was hurt and embarrassed at the election results, and it was not the time for her to act like a lunatic and seek so much attention. Her displays of concern for him were 100% fake and intended solely to get camera time. I think she's addicted to the attention.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7
(edited)

Kara has NEVER been a shameless strumpet.  Altho I think I'd like to be.  And I'd like to give whiny Landon the finger every time she opens up her whiny trap.  So kadooz to Kathryn, the shameless strumpet, for her spirited bird-flipping to whiny, snooty, judgemental-as-hell, above-it-all Landon.  Can't stand stomach her every time I see her.

Man, Kathryn screaming like a banshee after Thomas in the preview . . .  is this her way of luring him back?  Um, don't think that's gonna work.

I am seriously baffled by every one of the people on this show.  But Whit & Pats in particular.  Sheesh, I recently saw Suddenly Last Summer on TCM & I could swear Tennessee Williams had a crystal ball & looked into the future & based the characters of Sebastian & Mrs. Venable on Whitney & Patricia.  Wouldn't be surprised if Whitney ends up gettin' eaten alive too.

So did Thomas get 3 percent?  Cuz that's what I heard.  And then he said it was 4 percent.  Guess it doesn't matter.  Wow, that is humiliating.  Even Anthony Weiner, as big a fool as he was, managed to get 5 percent in his ridiculous campaign for mayor of NYC.  Good grief, Thomas is a buffoon & a boob.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

Wow, I am definitely no longer on Team Kathryn anymore after this episode!!!  She is definitely a crazy person.  I’m sure Thomas is a shitty boyfriend but that doesn't make her a prize by default.

I recently rewatched some Season 1 episodes and that definitely influenced my opinion on Kathryn now – she was/is such a total liar. 

I thought Landon’s comment to Kathryn was totally true and probably needed to be said at some point but she did not pick the right time, place, or wording.  It’s a shame for Kathryn that her reaction was so over the top because Landon was the only person besides Craig who defended her.

Loved that they showed Cameron’s drunk ass.  I love her but I think it is only fair that she gets a little called out after she commented on everyone else for the past two seasons!!

I don’t think Thomas ever thought he was going to win or come close to winning.  I think his strategy was to just put a dent in the votes – maybe get like 15-20% or something.  Obviously that didn’t happen and no one should ever vote for someone who uses his facebook for HIGHLY personal matters!!

• Love 2

I think both Kathryn and Thomas are wrong and I can't be on either team.  

Thomas should have realized shit was going to be rocky, just getting involved with a 23 year old immature party girl is a bad idea and if you do, wrap it up, silly man.  And breaking up with someone on Facebook is so silly and very junior high school

Kathryn probably thought that if she got pregnant, Thomas would marry her.  WTF is wrong with her?  This isn't the 1950's.  She needs to read gossip mags where she can read about the countless babymamas of sports start, rock stars, rap stars and actors.  Just because she pushed out a baby, doesn't make her Saint Kathryn and doesn't mean that a man is going to respect her.

• Love 5
Do people really still flip birds? Haven't seen or done that in years..

I just did that to my husband a couple of weeks ago behind his back. He probably hasn't seen anyone do that to him in years either, but trust me, "someone" is flipping the bird at him! It is a crass move, as Landon pointed out, but sometimes it must be expressed, and Kathryn's rendition was epic!

• Love 8
(edited)

When they replayed the fight between Kathryn and Whitney on the Jekyll Island front porch, she yelled, "you came to our house when I was nine months pregnant and went to a motherfuckin' strip club motherfucker!". Ha ha. But wow Whitney. Really?? Yes, he has always been out to get Kathryn but what a scumbag. Thomas is a dick for going with a pregnant GF at home.

I agree with Neurochick. Both Thomas and Kathryn are pretty horrible. But only Kathryn appears utterly nuts. Thomas is dead-on talking about her "anger". Every time you see her on screen she looks ready to explode. And she usually does.

It was sweet that her dad was so happy to see her but it was a little funny too because he acted like he hadn't seen her in three weeks. Didn't she just drop Kensie there two days prior? Ha ha, maybe the dad was just super-relieved after having to deal with an infant for two days/nights.

I have suspected for a long time that Shep and Craig are frenemies and not true friends and I now know it's true. Shep seems to kind of detest Craig (and vice versa). I think it's because Craig was set to be a successful attorney and reflect well on Shep and his highbrow crowd, and now he's a slacker and Shep doesn't want to be associated with him. I bet they no longer hang out now that filming is done.

It doesn't look good but if there is no Season Three I will be in serious withdrawal. :(

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 3

Wow! Kathyrnn is the most immature 23 year old I think I have ever witnessed. Just out of control awful. My God watching her "performance" at that party was so over the top cringeworthy. The flashbacks of when Thomas and her first started up was so telling. The look on his face of just pure lust was sadly obvious and to counter that with the look on his face now while sitting at the bar rubbing his head after losing the election and having Kathyrnn in his face were just Shakespearean. You could almost see the thought bubble of "what have I done to my life and I'm now tied to this crazy girl forever". I have zero sympathy for him but just a really sad real realty TV moment.

Landon was right for once, just said at wrong time and place. Someone needs to pull Kathyrnn aside and say "look, you have two choices, leave this guy and only interact when needed for your child OR SHUT UP" the level of immaturity she displays every time she has an interaction with Thomas of running back to her friends and screeching about how he treats her, talks to her, doesn't value her is just beyond tiring. I truly think she has something wrong with her and/or is hopped up on something way more malevolent than some weed. Someone who cares about her needs to be honest with her.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't care that Kathryn flipped off Landon, it's pretty much what I would expect from Kathryn. And while Landon picked the wrong time, I probably wouldn't be able to hold it in any longer. Can you imagine hours and hours of this woman/child whining about this messed up relationship, and how much she has sacrificed. I might scream shuuut uup! Tonight is not about you! This is not your u party, remember your baby daddy broke up with you on Facebook.

Thomas is a shit, and this relationship is exactly what he should have expected, but Kathryn is crazy. I have lost any sympathy I tried to give her.

I just loved her diva move, when she arrived and people were in the doorway, she waved her hand and demanded everyone move, not excuse me, no "everybody move!"

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 7