Type keyword(s) to search

Best Time Ever With Neil Patrick Harris - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My second-hand embarrassment for the audience member was palpable. Like I laughed, but it was excruciating.  Plus it didn't really have a big payoff. It doesn't have to end in an engagement, but I needed something to stop cringing on her behalf, although she seemed not nearly as bothered as I was feeling. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still watching and enjoying, but I'm watching it more for the random entertainment value.  The audience member's husband clearly thought this would be fun, since they had to have a lot of help from him to do it all.  And the former crushes must not have thought it would be too awkward, or they wouldn't have agreed.  Given all the help and coordination from people in the audience members' lives (not just her but all the ones we've seen) makes me think that even if the "target" is surprised, people close to the "target" think the target would enjoy it--so no second-hand embarrassment or weirdness.  Plus she got a trip with her husband out of it, and she laughed throughout.

I think the idea of this show is just some crazy insane fun.  And that's what I'm getting out of it.  The random not actors all seem to have a good time, and the audience has a good time.  The Ticket to Slide was fine, but I kept wondering if there was a way to try to grab a key on the way down the slide.  I'm actually still kind of wondering.

Having it on at 8 screws up my DVR schedule--but I picked this and The Muppets without hesitation over Grandfathered and Grinder.

• Love 1

I'll watch maybe 4-5 days later, with lots of fast forward, when I'm REALLY bored.

Really the show stinks. There are moments that are entertaining, but it's just such a jumble it's pretty much searching for gold inside poop.

• Love 1

Air date/Episode/18-49 demo/demo change/Viewers(millions)/Viewers change

Tues 09/15/2015       01-01        1.83                         6.602

Tues 09/22/2015      01-02       2.09     14.38%      5.907      -10.53%

Tues 09/29/2015      01-03       1.89     -9.66%      5.992       1.44%

Tues 10/06/2015      01-04       1.31    -30.95%      4.452      -25.70%

Tues 10/13/2015       01-05       1.18     -9.50%      4.478      0.58%

Edited by Kromm

I really enjoy this show and I don't know why. Most nights I'm sitting at my laptop doing work, and it's nice background noise. 

I thought the tribute to Neil's mom for her birthday was really cute. I could feel her embarrassment through my TV screen. David Burtka is literally the cutest and I would love to have a playdate with him, Neil, and their kids. 

I had never heard of the artist or song that they used for the Sing Along segment. I'm either out of touch with reality or it was not very popular (even though it was touted as a summer hit). 

The best part for me was the segment with Jesse Tyler Ferguson, where Neil (and randomly Jane Krakowski) tell him what to say, only because he was having trouble getting through it with a straight face. It's hard to believe that Britney Spears did a better job of pulling off that bit, but she was really brilliant when they had her do it. 

The End of the Show Show was lackluster, and poor Reba for having to cover a Taylor Swift song instead of doing one of her own (although I guess she's a big fan of Taylor?). 

• Love 1

I'll watch maybe 4-5 days later, with lots of fast forward, when I'm REALLY bored.

Really the show stinks. There are moments that are entertaining, but it's just such a jumble it's pretty much searching for gold inside poop.

Thanks for putting into words what I've been thinking since this show aired.  I have repeatedly tried to like it, but when 85% of it is just plain dumb/boring, it's not to be.

Edited by SuzyLee

I really enjoy this show and I don't know why. Most nights I'm sitting at my laptop doing work, and it's nice background noise. 

I thought the tribute to Neil's mom for her birthday was really cute. I could feel her embarrassment through my TV screen. David Burtka is literally the cutest and I would love to have a playdate with him, Neil, and their kids. 

I had never heard of the artist or song that they used for the Sing Along segment. I'm either out of touch with reality or it was not very popular (even though it was touted as a summer hit). 

The best part for me was the segment with Jesse Tyler Ferguson, where Neil (and randomly Jane Krakowski) tell him what to say, only because he was having trouble getting through it with a straight face. It's hard to believe that Britney Spears did a better job of pulling off that bit, but she was really brilliant when they had her do it. 

The End of the Show Show was lackluster, and poor Reba for having to cover a Taylor Swift song instead of doing one of her own (although I guess she's a big fan of Taylor?). 

I agree with everything you said, except the part with his mom.  I thought that was sort of annoying.  I like when he picks random strangers.  They get the thrill of meeting NPH, seeing whatever shenanigans he was up to and win a prize.  His mother sees him all the time.  I'm sure he does tons of nice things for her, etc. 

I also had NO idea what that song was.  I was so surprised all the contestants knew the words. 

I liked what she did with it, but I'm a fan of both of them.  The End of the Show Show seemed shorter--I wonder if they cut something.  I enjoyed it, but they might have actually found the limits of what NPH can do in a week.  (Or they have not, because that's not a thing, and I just missed something.)

For me this is the ultimate DVR show--if there's a bit I find boring I can fast-forward through it, but there's usually parts that I really enjoy (I wonder how it's doing in time-shifted ratings?).  I'm glad the Game Show Guy who wasn't very up on the week in pop culture still won the grand prize.

I liked the It's Neil's Mom bit.  It felt like "oh sweet, he loves his Mom and she's the best."  But this may be clouded by the fact that I think of NPH as a talented actor rather than a huge spoiled star who was attempting to gain a bunch of free stuff for his Mom.  After the segment though, I did think that people might come down on him for it. After all, "random" audience member isn't your Mom. 

Of course, I'm a softy and love it anytime I get to see those adorable kids of his. 

This was the first time I didn't care for the End of the Show Show...and usually that's my favorite skit.  I'm a fan of the stunts and am always impressed with the amount of effort/skill involved.  This one just seemed hokey.  And not even a good hokey.  It felt stereotypical of a western, which seemed out of place with the other EoSS's.

Finally, I thought it was interesting that each week NPH adds a bit more to the explanation of the karoke bit.  He must be getting a lot of fan questions on how that works. 

I don't want to make you feel old or out of touch (believe me, I'm probably older), and I'm NOT saying it's especially a GOOD song, but yes, even if you haven't heard it... it was a huge hit. 

Just one bunch of metrics.... the video on YouTube has 216 million views generated in less than 6 months. And it has 1.2 million "thumbs up" votes there, which is also an important stat, because each thumbs up requires a registered unique user (so it's proof it isn't just robots playing the video over and over). Plus that's just on one remix of the song (the main one that became the biggest hit). If you count the other mixes and remixes, the totals are even higher.

The main remix (the one that this video is of) went to the #1 single position in like... 30 countries, including the main Billboard US singles chart, and was at least Top 20 almost everywhere else. In the US, the track went TRIPLE Platinum, saleswise.

Frankly it's kind of an annoying song. But successful it is...

I switched over to Fresh Off the Boat at 8:30, so I have no clue what happened after the Sing Along. Who doesn't enjoy the Ghostbusters theme? Besides those two people who didn't know the lyrics?

I didn't enjoy the random audience member segment. First, why would she notice her name in the credits? She had a fairly common name. Second, it seemed like those shots of her kids and husband in the audience and during previous sketches were fake. Finally, she didn't seem all that excited about winning a trip to Australia. She had a deer in headlights look about her during the entire segment, which is understandable when you're not expecting to be caught off guard like that. I just didn't think it was funny or interesting. 

Good thing there's only one episode left, because this show seems to be running out of ideas. 

I liked the End of the Show Show (though Kelly Ripa's inability to get the name of the segment right bugged), and it's holiday-themed atmospherics were great.  Storytelling and dancing and a lovely show.  I also liked Neil's response to the audience member that "backflipping off a pogo stick wasn't enough for her." 

I'm still enjoying the show and will miss it after next week.

This was the weakest episode for me, but I've really enjoyed the other episodes. I need something light and fun after all my dark and/or sarcastic shows.  I hope it's not off the air for a long time.

I don't like to be rude about the normal people on shows like this but I did not care for the lady who was called out of the audience. Yeah, I agree she  might not see her name in the credits, but I was ok with that as a minor part of the bigger gag.  I didn't think her relatives in the shots seemed fake, but they definitely weren't the shots shown live on tv as it aired for the most part. My problem was her entire reaction... or lack of reaction. Hardly cracked a smile. Barely spoke a word. Maybe she was dying of embarrassment and has terrible stage fright, but part of the fun of those segments is seeing over the top reactions from people, watching them with a dawning look of horror and/or amusement on their faces, tearing up or giggling.  She might as well have been at the dentist doing paperwork. 

Yeah, I actually felt for NPH trying to get a response out of the woman he was sending to Australia. Still, he should have learned from Krusty the Clown:

"Now for my favorite part of the show....What does that say? Talk to the audience! Ugghhh, this is always death..."

Actually the woman in the game show segment was much better - too bad she didn't win anything...

Edited by highway61

I did miss most of the season but I tuned in because my undying love for BSB will never end and I have no shame in it. 

I admit I was cackling all through the audience award though the triple winner is also a horrible person for lying that much.  And then Michelle Kwan shows up just to burn her some more. 

I think this concept works a lot better as a companion show to America's Got Talent during the summer and I would watch it more often then.  But not during the regular season. 

• Love 1

I have to admit, the BTE Awards was probably my favorite sketch of the entire season.  That said, skipping the karaoke, the giveaway game show, and the slip-n-slide is still the only way this show was watchable.

I kept hearing conflicting comments about last of the season versus last time ever. I love the show and I hope it comes back but I agree with NPH's comment that no matter what it was the best time ever. I would have loved a chance to be in that audience.

• Love 1

If this was a summer series paired with America's Got Talent, I think it would have done a lot better. I like NPH, and his end of show show was great overall.  But it was simply too much crammed into one hour and got repetitive really fast.