Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: All Trawling, No Trolling

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

So, Disco (despite their protestations about turning a new leaf towards "quality"), is trying to sell a new show (they ONLY care about the title, not the content) about "mysteries".  Apparently they will revisit stuff like the Mary Celeste and other unexplained disappearances - I hold absolutely NO hope that they will do this topic any sort of justice,  Because, Disco ...

Wasn't that just before they renewed... Alaskan Bush People?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Wasn't that just before they renewed... Alaskan Bush People?

Hey - don't blame me!!!   I excoriated them six ways from Sundays, and all I got was a lousy membership to their "Influenzer Panel".  They STILL don't listen to me.  Fuckin' IDIOTS.

• Love 3

I was in Bermuda a couple of years ago and our snorkel guide was telling us how the Bermuda Triangle documentary people always pressure them to make stuff up.  Because there just is no paranormal activity going on there -- the area is thousands of miles wide, THE major sea traffic lane for centuries... there are going to be lots of wrecks.  But they hire local guides and their boats for a week at a time to take them around to get footage, and ask them for stories, so the locals just make them up.  

• Love 3
(edited)

His apology seems sincere, and I hope he does something about his drinking.

That said, is this some kind of an airline-like snafu for Uber?  He calls for an Uber.  It comes... they get in... and then they say "oh, wait, they canceled it, can't take you. Get out." 

Does the company make that decision based on somebody going on a longer route calling for a car in the same vicinity at the same time?  I'm sure you don't have the same protection as you would with a cab, because cabs aren't allowed to turn down fares based on where you're going, and none of the articles about this incident ever clarify just why a car would come in response to use of the app, then kick paying customers out of the car once they've gotten in.   

Edited by kassa
  • Love 3

I have never taken a Uber but my sister has used them numerous times(she live in NYC). I know that they do not accept cash and you pay with an account you set up on your smart phone. Did they try to pay with cash?  Kassa, your right, cabs supposedly can not refuse to take you to your destination but I don't know if Uber has the right to do this.  Sig does seem contrite.

I think they got Nick's age wrong. A couple of years ago disco gave his age as being in his 30's - about the same age as Zach and Josh. 

Just saw  the deckhand in the TB fire works accident 3-4 years ago was awarded $1.3 or 4 million dollars in his lawsuit against John and Andy. The article said the footage of the show showing the accident was "lost". I always felt those fire works on the boat were the dumbest thing and would come back to haunt them.

• Love 2

Found a link.   It wasn't just any firework -- it was a Time Bandit brand firework.    The lost footage allegedly shows Andy ordering the firework be shot off.   The original amount of the jury award was 2.7 million reduced in half because they found the deckhand 50% at fault.   That makes more sense.

• Love 1

Since they're no longer on the show, has anybody heard of the fortunes of the Cornelia Marie last season? I hope they were able to pull things together. Probably better for Harris that he's not on the show any more, though. Also wondering if Jake has made it back to the land of the living.

• Love 1
(edited)

NJRadioGuy - When the CM fished KC in the fall, Josh had to leave and return to Seattle as his gradfather Grant Harris was hospitalized and later passed away.  Also, Jake was severely beaten and robbed and spent two weeks in the hospital with a fractured skull and other injuries.  Casey fished the king crabs because of this.  Jake was arrested last month for drug possession  in Phoenix and he was a no show for Court and a bench warrant was issued on 5/16/17.   Josh fished opies with Casey according to their FB Page.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

Thanks NEGirl. I just heard about the nonsense in Arizona this morning. Sad, but not unexpected. Perhaps a custodial sentence followed by court-ordered rehab might help slow him down on his race for a waiting coffin. I'm just interested to know how the CM is going as a fishing vessel/business moreso than the drama of House Harris. I'd hate to think that despite all the time they were part of the story that they lost the boat, for example. Glad Casey was able to bring 'em in.

• Love 2

I saw the pictures and thought her wedding dress was very pretty.  She and her sister are both pretty girls. Looked like a beautiful reception. Her sister looked very pregnant. Anyone know when the baby is due?

• Love 1

so instead of a real shoe for the fourth of July, we get a semi commercial for Time Bandit fireworks.  No problem.  

Yes, we're talking WWII history but we had to get that commercial in there.

• Love 3
On 6/15/2017 at 10:39 AM, NEGirl said:

I saw the pictures and thought her wedding dress was very pretty.  She and her sister are both pretty girls. Looked like a beautiful reception. Her sister looked very pregnant. Anyone know when the baby is due?

Jaxsen was born on Father's Day, right after Mandy's wedding.

• Love 1

I'm a bit surprised that there's no "The Bait" or similar tie-in show this year, and with the way it's been postponed 2 or 3 times so far, I have to wonder if the show is on the outs with Disco. While I'll always watch it, it's definitely getting to be a bit stale this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think they are running out of drama as fast as they are running out of quota.  Keith seems to be settling down after his divorce; Jonathan is retiring (aka getting out alive); Wild Bill doesn't have Zach around to constantly disappoint him (hmph) so he is stuck with being an experienced captain breaking in a new boat; Sig may be having his second warning and might be smart enough to pay attention this year; Sean is apparently so efficiently filling his cod quota (his number was higher than all the crabbers', but it was a different harvest) that Disco has nothing to follow, and frankly, Jake can't carry all the drama on his own.

Edited by kassygreene
Somehow I left out the Northwestern!
  • Love 5

Disco has been undergoing a major retrenchment.  The salad days of this show and the Gold Rush show are ovuh.  They fired the Exec. Producer, Christo last year.  

If the DC cast wants to continue, it will be with a radically reduced subsidy.   Even that may not be enough given the high costs to produce any reality shows like DC.

Add to this the viewer fatigue and I am pessimistic that we will have another season of DC, as we know it.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I am trying my best to keep DC alive, by taking endless "Influencer Panel" surveys from Disco.  You really don't want to know what shit shows they are considering ...

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'd love to know. Can you tell us? 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'd love to know. Can you tell us? 

Oh, dear Gawd, I've tried to erase that shit from my memory banks, because I've had enough trauma of my own to deal with.   

But, off the cuff, their latest offerings were along the lines of weird & freaky science (a total rehash of that creepy freaks of nature animals side show from a few years back - think two-headed snake), and something about psuedo-scientists pranking each other with their numbnut reindeer games.  All Disco seems to care about is what their new shitshows should be called (i.e. "do you like this title, or this one, and why?").  My "comments" section will NEVER be read by anyone who has a fuck to give, fer sure.

Disco is circling the drain, and about to be flushed down the toilet.

• Love 2
On 8/15/2017 at 2:34 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Disco has been undergoing a major retrenchment.  The salad days of this show and the Gold Rush show are ovuh.  They fired the Exec. Producer, Christo last year.  

If the DC cast wants to continue, it will be with a radically reduced subsidy.   Even that may not be enough given the high costs to produce any reality shows like DC.

Add to this the viewer fatigue and I am pessimistic that we will have another season of DC, as we know it.

Hmmm... wonder if the end of the subsidy the State of Alaska was offering to bring in the film industry has anything to do with the dwindling "Alaska" shows. Seems several of the shows which began under that subsidy program are dieing of old age and no new ones are coming along.

• Love 2

I'm just catching up on all my episodes & I came here to say how much I admired Sean Dwyer stepping up to the "bullying" on his deck & sticking up for an old hand.  Zach handled the reaming like a gentleman & apologized to Sean & Craig for being a "dick".  What a great example Sean set for EVERYONE!!!  Good on ya, Sean!!!

• Love 4

I just watched Captain Derrick Ray and his wife Janell house hunting in Hawaii.  It was an episode of Hawaii Life titled "Fishing to Farming on the Big Island".   They ended up buying a working coffee plantation near Kailua-Kona, and seemed very happy learning a new business & leaving Oregon behind.

• Love 4

Copying this from the episode thread as an FYI.

1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

DVR Reminder:   A new episode of The Bait is airing the hour before this episode on 04/10/18.

Deadliest Catch: The Bait - "Live from the Docks"

The captains celebrate the 200th episode of Deadliest Catch as Mat Rogers hosts; featuring a discussion regarding the upcoming season, the return of a Harris, and a man gone overboard, in front of a live audience in the City of Seattle,

• Love 1
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Jonathan Hillstrand posted on Twitter last night that he is still fishing and would like to be back on the show.  So basically disco cut the time bandit to give us the Cornelia Marie.  Good grief.

Ouch! Once upon a time this was one of my "must-see" shows.... then I started hitting FF to skip over Elliot... then the Josh/Jake Harris/Casey CM circus... then Jake Anderson tantrum/whine scenes. I now have 3 unwatched recorded "new" episodes - and these days 'new' is often just rehashed clips or special never before seen scenes (picked up off the floor of the editing room). Sounds like, if I ever watch these recorded episodes I'll be making frequent use of the FF button. (Good thing I know where that button us - I wore off the label watching Alaskan Bush Clowns.) Just as likely, I'll record a few more "new" episodes and decide to clean off the DVR and delete them without watching?

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Ouch! Once upon a touch this was one of my "must-see" shows.... then I started hitting FF to skip over Elliot, then the Josh/Jake Harris/Casey CM circus, then Jake Anderson tantrum/whine scenes. I now have 3 unwatched recorded new episodes - and these days 'new' is often just rehashed clips or special never before scenes (picked up off the floor of the editing room). Sounds like, if I ever watch these recorded episodes I'll be making frequent use of the FF button. Just as likely, I'll record a few more "new" episodes and decide to clean off the DVR and delete them without watching?

I was like you & then I just deleted five shows, knowing that I wouldn't watch them. 

• Love 1

This tragedy sure seems like it could have been avoided.  For sure, safety was NOT the first priority of the Captain.  The ship was listing and the pots were icing and the seas were rough.  There were at least a couple of conversations over some period of time between the doomed F/V and land.  Something other than safety kept them steaming to the crab grounds for too long.

When did the order finally come down, or did it ever come down, to get into the lifesuits?  The delay was deadly.  Were Coast Guard regs/procedures followed?  There is a lot to answer for.  Having said this, it is possible that all the command decisions were reasonable.  We must learn from whatever did happen. 

I have no actual knowledge of any obvious errors.  It is entirely clear, however, that they had plenty of opportunity to declare an emergency and request rescue and crucially, to put on lifesuits.  This is gonna be one heckuva story as the facts are revealed. 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
On 1/4/2020 at 1:12 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Were Coast Guard regs/procedures followed?  There is a lot to answer for.

They answered with their lives, unfortunately. The old saw of "Oh, it's probably not that bad, we'll be fine if we can just <insert-insufficient-action-here>" likely played a big role, as it does in far too many tragedies in all walks of life. The Coast Guard can only do so much; it's up to the fleet owners and captains to mandate safety over profits, which often goes against human nature.

I have to wonder if safety would have been as front-and-center on the boats the show follows if there'd never been a Deadliest Catch TV show.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I have to wonder if safety would have been as front-and-center on the boats the show follows if there'd never been a Deadliest Catch TV show.

You have raised a fantastic point, one which I chose to let go in my original post.

It could very easily be that the doomed F/V Captain faced even less severe weathering issues than we have seen depicted on DC.  It was just his horrible luck to have lost his bet.  It may also be the case that this captain went far beyond anything Keith and Sig and the others have ever dared.  Let's just see.

I know full and dang well that we will get nothing but sanctimonious spin from Keith and Sig about saaaafety and self-serving comments as to how dangerous it all is, which happens to burnish their own bravery and courage.  

Disco simply can not have difficult truths about their casts - and let's be clear, they are performers to them, not fishermen - as this would be ruinous to the DC branding.  They are gonna piously play this tragedy up for all it is worth, and then some.

Yes, fishing is inherently dangerous.  So is coal mining.  As you alluded, the question is one of costs.  Just how much should corporations dole out for safety?  All the cannery deadlines which put intense pressure on the crews?  Why are there no heavy weather exceptions/extensions built in, by law?  What about the limited seasons themselves?  Again, time pressure is 100% fixable.  At a price.

My very strong belief is that once again we have met the enemy, and it is us.  We refuse to pay, as consumers, the true costs.  Others, unfortunately, do pay. 

• Love 1

We're watching this same argument play out on the world stage with the Boeing 737 MAX. Profits over safety, bought and paid for by 346 souls.

The nature of the men on some of the boats on the show, their attitudes, upbringing, education (or lack thereof), bravado, etc, leads to more injury and death than would be the case if the crews and captains were from a different culture. 

For a brief while I worked on the railway as a brakeman and conductor. It was in that transition period about 25 years ago between the wild west style of railroading and the safety-first attitudes that you'll find on the major roads today. It was a cultural disconnect for me. I was always a rules guy in everything I've ever done, and I rarely took the kinds of chances that had the possibility of me of ending up in a hospital bed or a pine box. Yet more than a few colleagues paid lip service to the rule book and figured they'd just lie like a rug to investigators if they ever got popped for breaking the rules. And it generally worked for them, I'm sad to say. Nobody ever got fired, and at worst they got a few days off without pay. Only way to get shitcanned there was Rule G violations (not fit for duty, drunk/meds/etc). They were serious about that.

We had a rule that you never got on or off a piece of moving equipment. Ever. Yet if you didn't, you'd slow the job down and get a rip by the bosses for moving too slowly, and the rip for that was harsher than getting off a moving footboard. Even a quarter century after leaving that job I can see the parallels between some of my cow-orkers on that job with the crewman on D.C. Attitudes are the same, personalities are the same, etc. Work hard, drink hard, party hard, play hard, pass out, lather rinse repeat.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think Sig would care about safety more.   His dad almost lost a ship so he knows.   He spends a lot of time on maintenance in the off season.    Now he did stay out a storm on the show when everyone else was running for shore.

Keith on the other hand, overstacked his boat with pots.   Then to protect them from icing up, he had the crew try to rig a tarp over them AFTER the seas got rough.   I believe someone got hurt during that manuevor.   

The Brenna A is another well run boat.   They know crew injuries and damage to the boat costs you more time than just taking precautions in the first place.

Not really sure about Jake A.    And we all know Josh and the Cornelia Maria only get about 5 feet from the dock to film then head home for the night.

• Love 2

I think the Northwestern is maintained to a high standard for their own protection and peace of mind, and they (or Sig) obviously were raised to treat the NW as a second home and prioritize good business practices in terms of taking care of their biggest investment, as opposed to stretching it to its limits while taking money out of it (see Saga, Phil-era Cornelia Marie, etc).  And I remember a few years ago when a ship went down and the show narration was talking about how we'll never know why and in the same episode Edgar stated quite bitterly that "they got greedy."

And yet... Edgar would light people on fire in their bunks and in the galley and Sig would laugh.  I wonder if their insurance company ever caught up to them on that, because it's been a while. Same with John Hillstrand firing weapons at ice.  Can you imagine the insurance blowback for a ricochet bullet wound and medical evacuation at sea?

Even the saner people have far greater tolerance for risky behavior than most of us. (I admit I still laugh at Keith's panic when Freddie jumped overboard onto the walrus. Can you imagine the paperwork on THAT had it gone wrong?)

• Love 2