Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: All Trawling, No Trolling

• Start Topic

clod - Sig has no problem taking control of the Evine crew on set, that's for sure!   :-D

This morning's Evine show was much more interesting, because Kimberly the host actually watches Deadliest Catch and is a big fan.  She asked a lot of really good questions and Sig had a blast with her.  He was so impressed; he kept saying "You really DO watch the show!".

When she asked him about Elliot, Sig said he thinks he's lost his job, and needs to get help.  Sig also hinted there will be some crew changes and captain changes in this season.  Edgar is getting tons of cortisone shots and will eventually need surgery.  He is taking the Northwestern out right this minute to tender for salmon.

• Love 1

I missed part of last night's episode, Super Typhoon Part 1, and I'm trying to find out when it's going to be rerun. The TV Guide online shows no reruns, or first runs,  until July 14th. And the Discovery site has wacky info. Super Typhoon Part 2 airs Thusday, July 2nd, tomorrow, at 4PM. It also has conflicting info on the same page showing Fishing in the Ditch airs tonight at 9PM, but instead it aired at 1AM in the Wednesday schedule, not 9PM. The time zone shows as ET, and I am in the Eastern Time Zone. How can I watch a show when I can't find out when it's on? This is confusing and frustrating. 

• Love 1

Thanks, NEGirl! I did not know that it was free on demand. I'll have to check that out. And here I've been watching the rerun episodes at the craziest times when they rerun them.

• Love 1

Also, they always rerun the episodes the next week right before the new ep.   So on the 14th, we get a block in the afternoon of the last few episodes.

Oh right, next week is Shark Week, no Deadliest Catch.

• Love 2
(edited)

SweePea - Discovery is re-airing "5-Year Storm, Part 1" tomorrow evening (8pm PT on my HD channel).  You can also look for Deadliest Catch: On Deck which is the recent episode with extra clips and tweets.  I see an episode of "On Deck" airing tomorrow at 6pm PT on the HD channel as well (no description, so it may be last week's episode).

edited because I forgot which thread I was in!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you!

Did you see the promo with cuts of the Captains singing about it?

I laughed my ass off at the guys singing the Shark Week ditty!  :-)

Of course, I'll be watching some Shark Week and SharkFest - I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

• Love 3

Well, hooray, I was able to watch it on demand! There is a time constraint on how long it's free. This episode is free until July 3rd. At least on my cable. But thanks again NEGirl, (any girl?), this is a game changer for me.  :)

I laughed my ass off at the guys singing the Shark Week ditty!  :-)

I wanted to see more of them! I loved Sig's gusto. I could watch these guys do anything.

• Love 2

Sigh.  Jake on the CM.  That... is not good news.

(AFTER Jake has been sober for a few years and kept off the t.v. - I might welcome seeing him back on, just for a bit.  But not now.  Too soon.  This is not good for the show OR Jake.  Bad decisions all the way round.  Disappointed in the show.)

:(

How soon before Elliot is back too?  argh.  This is one of the FEW reality shows that I feel mostly 'keeps it real' (yeah I know there are shenanigans - but I still had hopes that they would NOT have Jake back on this quickly - I was just fooling myself.)  This is the same group that thinks the Bait is better than After the Catch.

• Love 2
Considering Jake, Elliot and Josh, I think they should rename this show Intervention Two

Sig starts the meeting.  "Jake - there's a bunch of people here who love you like crazy.  They're gonna say what they wanna say, you say what you wanna say, then we're done".

Josh begins reading his letter "You're drug use has affected me in the following ways ..."

Edgar butts in "Honey, I WAS you!"

Edited by Xena
  • Love 1

I don't think it is nice making fun of someone's addiction problems. Addiction has been medically proven to be an inherited disease. Phil was an addict and alcoholic his entire adult life and stated he used every drug known. As per the book on Phil, he continued drinking and using cocaine almost up to his death. Jake obviously inherited his addiction from Phil. He was raised in an addictive household, with an alcoholic/addictive, physically abusive step-mother and an addictive riddled father.  Phil showed no discretion with his drinking and drug use in front of his children. Addiction is one of the most difficult things to beat. It takes much, much more than just wanting to be clean.

My job entails working with  addicts. Through my job experience I can say most addicts came from either addictive and/or physically abusive households.  It takes much more than just wanting to be clean. But,  they must have a good family support network. Based on what we have heard about Jake's childhood, I do not think he has ever had this. He did not see his mother for 16 years after Phil got custody in the divorce when he was five. Josh can say what he wants, but he drinks like a fish, parties non stop and has admitted to prior recreational drug use. He obviously loves his brother but is certainly no shining example of someone who should be lecturing Jake. I hope he is able to remain drug free, live a life he chooses and a career he wants, and not feel pressured to do what he feels others think he should be doing.

Addiction runs in my extended family. I have lost two very dear cousins to addiction. Both struggled to be clean and would have given anything to not have inherited this terrible disease. My immediate family were blessed to escape this, but I can say first hand most people do not want to be an addict. Please be a little more understanding of Jake - he has never had the odds stacked in his favor.

Let me say I do not mean to offend anyone - I just feel people should be more understanding.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

NEGirl -  I have addiction living breathing right next to me, in my own home.  I meant no offense.  What I DO object to -  is my belief that Discovery is enabling Jake right now.  I have my own problems with enabling, so it hits me rather hard (coming at it from another angle so to speak).

Do you think it is a good idea for Jake to be on tv right now?  i am asking from the heart.  I believe the worst place for him right now is back on tv, rather he is sober or not.  That is just my opinion, I would be interested to hear what you think about it (seriously).  

I was having a bit of a laugh at the show Intervention - a show that I love and think has done a world of good!  I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, and I apologize if it went over the line on that part.

• Love 2

NEGirl - With your extensive background, surely you realize the chances for sobriety, or whatever term you care to choose for not using,  are extremely small.  For alcohol, the studies show that the chances are less than 3% that any given attempt will result in a sobriety of even 1 year.  That includes in-house treatments which may last a month or more.

The cynicism of anyone is well earned, myself included.  I, too, have a boatload of experience around recovery.  I am most fortunate to not have inherited the addiction gene (as far as I know) but my life has been deeply affected by it.  My very best friend is a physician who specializes in the treatment of addicts across the spectrum.  I have helped out by attending groups he sponsors/offers.  I know of what I speak when it comes to recovery.

The outward signs of anyone who is enjoying recovery are unmistakable.  There is a core humility that is wondrous.  There is a seriousness of purpose scarcely imaginable to those who were unfortunately exposed to the addictive behavior.  These folks somehow become among the very finest I can know.  Truly, they are walking miracles.  Edgar H. well fits this description.  He's pretty much beloved in DC forums, is he not?  With darn great reason!

Now, for us who have watched Jake H. from a distance (and Elliott N.) know in the deepest ways that they are not to be trusted absent the type of wrenching change I've described.  Most well know the odds are ridiculously against that ever really happening.  We deeply resent the lies and deceits these folks throw out unceasingly.  Add to it folks who gain fame for appearing on TV?  Boom.  Out comes the largest condemnations in the viewing public.  To me, it is entirely understandable.  And forgivable.

Sure, it would be a perfectly wonderful world if everyone only held the very best regards and hopes for everyone else.  Yet, we have been given a nature which commands we call out and warn about threats.  Addicts among us are a very real threat.  

Finally, this site is about criticisms.  It is about pointing out foibles, be they art or real life, as depicted on TV.  Jake and Elliott have entirely, all by their own actions, earned the slings and arrows thrown in here.

I absolutely join you in sincere hopes that each of these fellas find a true spiritual recovery.  Given that putting oneself out into the public realm is something which is warned against for all new recovery, and has indeed crushed countless folks who foolishly did so, these guys are up against hurricane-force headwinds.  I absolutely guarantee you that Jake was counseled to not go back on the show by his professionals, and by his sponsor in NA, or AA.  He seems to have made yet another poor choice.

I want to emphasize to anyone who reads this that I completely respect NEGirl's story and that she chooses to urge us to look at this from a hopeful place.  None of this is an attack on her!  I am simply offering my experience, strength, and hope in this post.  That doesn't make me an oracle.  

• Love 4

Xena and LomesomeRhodes - Thank You for you for your kind and insightful thoughts. I truly meant nor take no offense in your comments. I  also think it would be best for Jake to not be filmed for the show. However, based on comments made by Josh and the DC fans-NOT YOU GUYS - I think that he feels pressured to be on the show whether he wants to or not.

Perhaps I have a hard time being objective due to my family history and the loss of my cousins. For this I apologize. I know, based on my job and my family history, that sobriety is one of the most difficult things an addict  can maintain. What I meant, and may have not have expressed correctly, was that I hope people will be more understanding of Jake  and the obstacles he has to overcome and be less mean and critical. I feel based on his terrible family history, the odds are against him for long term recovery and this makes me sad for someone who is so young. I hope he can overcome his addiction and lead a clean/sober life and do what makes him  happy.

Jake fished before he was on tv. He was only 19 when he was on DC the second season. I do not think this was good for him nor do I think Phil was concerned about how this would affect Jake.  I could be wrong, but it seems the stress from Phil's first embolism seemed to sent Jake on a downward spiral. I hope people will be more understanding of the problems he has to overcome.  Edgar and Jake Anderson are two shining examples of people who have overcome addiction. However, I think they had a much more supportive network than Jake Harris.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 3

I wonder if Wild Bill has ever been offered any shampoo/hair company deals? If not, maybe one should consider it.

That would be awesome.    I can see him doing the Garnier Nutriesse commercials.   Or what was the one where all the women who used it had orgasms?

Speaking of the Captains in commercials, I love Sig's Bank of America card.   Before he went crabbing on the Bering sea .....   I just hope that blonde in the final shot is his wife.

• Love 1

I just saw on the web that Tony Lara, who was a captain on the Cornelia Marie the year after Phil passed,  died  suddenly in his sleep. Prayers to his family and friends.

• Love 5

Sig was on Evine last night right after the season finale selling Alaskan seafood.  Thom Beers was there, too, telling stories and cooking up a storm.  Jake A., Edgar and Jonathan all called in to the show to talk to Sig and Thom.  It was a really entertaining couple of hours with a lot of show talk.  They're on again today.

Sig grossed out the host when he told the story about his crewman who severed a finger.  They got him to shore with the finger in a bowl of ice.  As they put the bowl up on the dock, a seagull came along and snatched it out of the bowl and flew away, with the poor crewman screaming "My finger, my fucking finger!".

• Love 6

So, the show returns March 29.   With a new boat and the YOUNGEST CAPTAIN EVAH.    Because that worked out so well with Elliott.   And we are not completely rid of the stench of Elliott either.    Wonder if he gets paid for his boat to be on.   At least Disco is making sure those boat payments are made instead of letting him completely fail so he gets. a. clue.

• Love 4

So, the show returns March 29.   With a new boat and the YOUNGEST CAPTAIN EVAH.    Because that worked out so well with Elliott.   And we are not completely rid of the stench of Elliott either.    Wonder if he gets paid for his boat to be on.   At least Disco is making sure those boat payments are made instead of letting him completely fail so he gets. a. clue.

The new guy is fishing quota given to him by Sig.  I don't think even for Disc money Sig would give his fishing to anyone he wasn't confident in.  I hope all we get of Elliott is the boat.  I know I saw far more of him last year than I wanted to,

• Love 4

A majority interest was sold last season to pay for the rehab of the CM.  Josh never held a majority interest.  Ever.  He had, and as far as I can tell retains, a 1/8th interest, as does his brother.

Did Sig completely ignore the tanner crab season, or was the quota he leased to the newbie only a piece of it?

Why would the Saga ownership agree to spend a plug nickel on an unnecessary paint job, given they are so far into the boat from the rehab a couple of years ago?  This is especially nuts if it was done to mollify a newbie and untested captain.

• Love 2

A majority interest was sold last season to pay for the rehab of the CM.  Josh never held a majority interest.  Ever.  He had, and as far as I can tell retains, a 1/8th interest, as does his brother.

When Josh first purchased the CM in appx. March 2013, he  and Jake owned 100% interest. They had purchased Cornelia Develin's 75% interest(they already owned 25% from Phil).  In 2014, they sold 25% interest to Casey McManus, leaving them with 75% interest in the CM. According to Casey McManus's FB page last year, the new owners bought 50% interest of the boat in April 2015, which underwent over 1 million dollars in repairs. The DC FB page confirmed Elliott will NOT be on the show and Freddy is on the TB.

The new captain is 23 years old. His father purchased the boat shortly before he passed and his mother is his business manager.

I would guess we will now see a lot of pictures of the father with DC's usual references to him aka Phil. I think they have worn the Phil line thin and Josh is now too old for that at almost 33. I also saw in Jan.2016 that someone "in the know" had posted on the DC FB page that Jake Harris was clean and working construction. They indicated he had chosen not to fish in the near future. Should be an interesting season.

**Don't know if it true or not, but I had read somewhere this summer that Elliott had lost his interest in the Saga. He was, I assume partners with a group of guys.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1

The Devlins did not sell 100% of the CM to anyone.  There were multiple parties involved.  The Harris boys had no cash to purchase any piece of the CM.  Their combined 25% was an inheritance of Phil's ownership stake.  At no point were they majority owners.  Not even close.  

The rehab in 2014 of the CM we saw in the show last Spring required a major influx of capital.  A cannery interest ended up paying for it, in return for a majority interest in the boat.  Casey's piece is very small.  

• Love 1

Lonesome-I'm confused too. Where did you get your info that J & J never owned majority interest in the CM?   I know the 25% was their inheritance from Phil. In March 2013, there were stories in the newspaper and on tv that J & J had purchased Cornelia Devlin's  75% interest in the CM. I was always doubtful about this because I could not see how they came up with the money. However, I never saw/heard anything about other parties involved. I saw a link  from this site in 2014 listing them as the sole owners of the CM.

I went back to Casey's FB page and saw he stated the two new owners provided most or all of the money for the repairs of the CM. They also brought a tone of quota with them. The two guys owned the fv Deception and brought that quota with them. They had not fished their boat since the derby days ended.  Everyone speculated here as well as other sites about who owned the boat.

I know Casey's Dad is a big wig with Trident Seafood. However, I thought the rumor about the cannery was not true.

Please enlighten us-we all have been trying to figure this out for three years! Thanks.

• Love 1

Here's what I understand.  The Devlins did "sell" the CM to Josh (70%) and Jake (30%).  But, there was significant outside money that Josh had to "put together."  Basically, a mortgage.  Also, the Devlins helped finance the sale.  Weirdly, they remained listed as the owner/operators on official State of Alaska licensing databases for some time afterward.   Then, as we all know, the CM was falling apart.  The Harris boys had no cash to handle it and they did not have a lot of quota, either.  So, Casey, very likely with funding from Trident of some sort, got 25% of the CM.  

A year ago January, the CM got two new engines, which they could not pay for/needed to finance additionally.  Now comes a guy named Roger Thomas and another partner of his.  They bought controlling interest and the new company was incorporated in Washington State on March 17, 2016.  That is where things stand. as far as I know.

http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=603488213

http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusiness/registermybusiness/brd/default.aspx

Perhaps it is semantics, but as cash poor as the Harris brothers were, and as little actual fishing they did from the time they "bought" the vessel, until this past season (which is the coming season on DC), the whole "ownership" story arc was just that:  A story.  That is my opinion.  YMMV.  God only knows how much Disco subsidized everything, as well.

• Love 1

This'll be worth three full episodes of The Bait.  Bleccch.

Calling it right now...Sig's bottom line is that if you don't push to the line (in all contexts), and occasionally cross it, you aren't doing your job.

$750?  Chump change.  Getting away with cheating?  Ka-ching!

• Love 1
(edited)

Just saw the news on Sig's heart attack on Yahoo - the article says he collapsed while filming and briefly "lost consciousness."  When he was revived, he wanted to keep fishing!  The crew evidently had to convince him to get airlifted to a hospital.

Anyone know how old he is?  Seems like captaining is a quick way to a heart attack.

Edited by cstad
  • Love 1

I saw his age last year, and it blew me away.  He's a year younger than my son.  I felt really old when I saw that, because he really looks older than 49.  He SHOULD have many years left if this heart attack serves as a wake-up call to start taking better care of himself.

Some instagram or twitter thing I saw said it was his left anterior descending artery - blockages there are called "the widowmaker" because they basically shut the entire heart down.  Getting him to town absolutely saved his life.  

The editing monkeys must be in overdrive now.

He had a "widowmaker?!"  That's a really nasty type of heart attack (not that every heart attack isn't bad, but the left anterior is especially bad, hence its nickname.)  He is very, very lucky that he survived the initial attack and got to a hospital in time. 

However, 49 is really too young.  Come on, Sig - take better care of yourself!

This is going to be one interesting season of Deadliest Catch.  Discovery execs must be drooling with excitement.

I saw an ad for this season and they interspersed clips of Sig, Josh, Jake A, Johnathan, and Wild Bill.  Sig, Johnathan and Wild Bill, under their names, had the label "Bering Sea Legend."  I was waiting for Keith to pop up and he didn't.  At all.  Do we know he was even filmed?  Did Monte do Kings or something?

• Love 1

This is actually old news, but I'm wondering if there's any news of Nick's (of the Northwestern) court appearance after being arrested for domestic violence and controlled substance. http://www.skagitbreaking.com/anacortes/deadliest-catch-deckhand-arrested-anacortes/

From the article he should have appeared in court Friday, but I haven't heard or read anything after the first report of his arrest on the 9th.

'Course we don't always hear about the court cases involving folks on reality tv. By my recollection three of the shows I watch have regulars with ongoing cases: Nick; Pawnstars' Chumlee http://www.inquisitr.com/2908488/chumlee-arrest-update-pawn-star-admits-he-smokes-a-lot-of-weed-but-does-he-deal-drugs/

And Alaska Last Frontier's Atz Lee hunting violation case from last year is still ongoing http://m.homernews.com/homer-news/local-news/2016-01-14/helicopter-hunting-case-continued#gsc.tab=0

Of course, that's not counting the Browns from Alaskan Bush People who have already had their day in court, copped a plea, admitted guilt, and been sentenced http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/12/entertainment/alaskan-bush-people-fraud-plea/

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2