Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: All Trawling, No Trolling

• Start Topic

Can you please create a forum for this show.  You can include a "Small Talk" discussion forum for general chatting; once the show begins this season we can create episodes discussions as needed.

Thank you.

I converted the show request into the Small Talk topic for the show -- a social topic and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk topic jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and request it here, and a moderator will change it.

Edited by stacey
Updating Information

I've been saying this is the year I stop watching but it pulls me in too, it does help that it starts at a time the network and winter shows are ending and the summer stuff hasn't started yet. It has those few weeks to pull me in. It is not so much need to watch live tv anymore.

I am disappointed Elliot is back though, I think that his coming on the show, and jr.'s, not as much right away though, is where my interest started to waiver.

• Love 1

Hello everyone.  Forever DC watcher and former catch stat saver (I had them all on Excel, as some TWoPers may recall), all stored on the broken laptop of dreams, all gone until I can afford a technogeek (send resumes to Brian Williams at MSNBC.com).  Unabashed worshipper of Phil Harris (I could've been his girlfriend, back in the day) and the Old Guard, not so much of the "new generation"  (yes I'm old, BFD!). I'll be watching to the bitter end, so you're all stuck with me!  Get used to it.

Happy to see some familiar faces, and I look forward to a spirited season with no souls sacrificed to the Bering Bitch.

• Love 1

Yeah I think the "young guns" era is what started my wavering of interest as well fifty8th. Like you said not Jr right away (although he's certainly done it lately) but Elliot. I just can't with him. I turn the channel more often than not when I see him come on screen and hope I don't miss any Northwestern stuff while I'm away.

• Love 1

I'm so ready for the season to start.  The trailer was so exciting. It looks like it'll be a wild season.  I guess with the government shutdown it shortened the time and really put them in a rush.  I'm curious to see how Sig's daughter does.  Is she is indeed like her Dad, as they say she should be able to hold her own.

• Love 1

I used to buy the DVDs but wasn't interested the last two seasons.  Worse, I even deleted the episodes from my DVR after viewing!

Maybe this one will bring me back.  It will help if they also bring back After the Catch and not The Bait, but I haven't heard about that aspect yet.  The Bait just became the captains' amateur happy fun time  local cable access tee vee  show.  I felt like we saw real sides of them on After the Catch, because as fun and off track as it would get, Rowe would ask sincere questions and get sincere, often deep, answers.  When they "interview" each other, it's just awkward and phony.

• Love 4

kassa - I've never purchased a DVD (or even played/watched one), and I've deleted everything from my DVR with 2 exceptions - the DC Tribute to Captain Phil Harris, and the After the Catch: The Good Captain Phil episode.  I'm a bit of a sentimental lug when it comes to Phil, and I never fully recovered from his loss - he just made the show for me. 

I also adore Mike Rowe, and think he is best suited to host the after-chats.  Despite the fact that he's a TV type, I think the guys accept him as more than just a pretty face (they've seen the shit he's done on Dirty Jobs, so they seem to respect him, too).

• Love 1

Hi, folks.  I've wandered over here after finding out TWOP is closing.  I, too, hope that Mike Rowe is once again hosting After the Catch -- he does so much better a job of it than the captains doing it themselves!  And I really wish they'd drop Elliot from the show; he's such a total jerk, I really hate watching him. 

Anyway, it'll be good to have the show back again.  This season looks to be filled with tons of stuff -- I just hope everybody stays safe~

!

• Love 3

I could never find a DC thread over at TWoP--nice to find one here.  I read the EW piece about the upcoming season.  A few things I noticed:

--There seemed to be a lot of speculation about who owns the Cornelia Marie now.  Some though Original Prod had bought it.  Josh's comments going back to last year seem to indicate that he (and perhaps Jake) put together the money to buy the boat from Mrs Devlin, who still owns the rights to the crab licenses (no red crab this year for the CM).

--As for the "youth movement,"  I can take it or leave it.  It strikes me that many of the older skippers opted to not have the cameras on board after a couple of years, possibly because of the nuisance, where the youngin's probably see it was a way to pad their profit and gain some notariety at the same time.  Don't forget about the original youngin' Blake Painter from the Maverick days. 

--Elliot may have more than personal legal prolems--he does not own the fishing license (Diamondback Seafoods) or the boat (1st National Bank of Alaska).  Lots of cooks in that kitchen.

--They must have had a time casting for the red crab season--only 28 boats received red crab licenses this year.  Among the ones who are on the show now are the Ramblin Rose & Kodiak, and past boats Artic Dawn, Erla-N, Kiska Sea, and Early Dawn.

--In case you were wondering, lots of boats who used to have camera crews are still have fishing licenses:  Billikin, Farwest Leader, Lady Alaska (I remember Pete saying he was going into construction after that season?), Lucky Lady, Maverick, Retriever, Rollo, and a few others.  And for some reason, the Big Valley has retained their fishing license.  I guess they sell their quota each year to someone else.

List of licensed crab vessels:  https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/ram/llp.htm#list

• Love 1

Welcome to The Deadliest Catch's Small Talk topic!

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hi everyone, found my way here after years of creeping the DC forum over on TWoP. (Glad to see some familiar names!)

Like many here, I've been a fan since day one, even though big waves, full/empty pots, and revolving-door greenhorns aren't really new or surprising anymore. For me, the show's more about the people these days; the ones we love, the ones we love to hate, and the ones we just wish would go away - lookin' at you, there, Elliott...

Anyhow, glad to have found a new home for DC chat. Looking forward to the discussion!

• Love 2

There is a Deadliest Catch - Behind the Lens: 10 Years in the Making special airing tonight after the "On Deck"  repeat of the season finale.   I always enjoy the behind the scenes specials; I hope this one is great.

• Love 1

Don't be jealous. We did the Aleutian Ballad tour in Ketchikan last week. I got to meet Captain Derrick Ray. He took over the CM briefly after Phil died. He said that some of the portrayals of the folks are pretty close, but some are not. He spoke well of Sig and the Hillstrand family, less kindly about Keith. He said that all of them have issues, but Elliott is in a category of his own.

And on the way back into the harbor, there was the TIME BANDIT, in all her glory. Didn't recognize anyone who was out on the deck, but they seemed to get a chuckle out of seeing this old Grandma waving her TB hat and yelling, "You guys ROCK!!!"

• Love 6

I just tweeted Deadliest Catch to see if they will take the same moral stand as the NFL and finally cut Elliot.    One can hope.   And yeah, the NFL was not exactly taking a moral stand but at least they did finally realize that having Ray Rice in the League was not good for their image.   Really don't care if Disco calls it a moral stand or a business decision, as long as he is gone, baby gone.

• Love 5

Sig is going to be on Celebrity Apprentice!  

With Johnny Damon, Geraldo Rivera, Kate Gosselin, Terrell Owens, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Gilbert Gottfried, Kevin Jonas, Shawn Johnson, Lorenzo Lamas, Ian Ziering, Jamie Anderson, Vivica A. Fox, Leeza Gibbons, Brandi Glanville and Kenya Moore.

On this show I always wonder who's going to bring the crazy.  Usually they start men vs. women.  The women look pretty volatile in this group.  I can see Sig working well with athletes Damn and Owens.  Can't recall if Jonas is the guy who builds houses, but if so they'll probably do well too.  The actors?  Who knows.  Though I can imagine him staring in disbelief at Gilbert Gottfried.

Edited by kassa

Sig wasn't always a captain -- I assume he retains a bit of a team mentality from his deckhand days.  But I can see him throwing up his arms and walking away from nonsense, and there's always plenty of nonsense to be had on this show.

I'm laughing picturing how he would have reacted to being teamed with Gary Busey.  

• Love 2

wouldn't it be funny if the non-show people they meet are most interested in talking to Sig.....  ignoring the other stars

might be nice to see Gottfried out of character

He definitely enjoys attention.  I assume he'll be playing for the Fishermen's Memorial Fund or something like that, so hopefully we'll see some of the other guys lend financial support.

Sig (with the urging of TBTB) will play the "I ain;t no college man" card all day, every day.  In the boardroom, he will profess to be confused at the concepts Trump is espousing.  He'll be the affable fish out of water.  Until...

TPTB push him to confront TO, or some other slacker.

I am NOT looking forward to the city slickers treating the "bumpkin" poorly. 

He's quite eloquent, so I don't really see him filling a bumpkin role.  He knows what he knows, so I don't think he'll have a problem letting other people bake cupcakes while he builds sets or puts things together.  I don't really want to see him write a song or act in the play.  

I expect "toughen up, buttercup" to be uttered at least once, toward somebody.  

My biggest hope is that he's not fawning over Trump.  They do share a love of gold.

• Love 1

Typhoon Nuri is taking aim at the Bering Sea.   

http://abcnews.go.com/US/western-alaska-prepares-calm-typhoon-nuri/story?id=26713442

The boats are out.   They hope they have enough warning to make it to safety.

Prayers for all the crews.   May they all make it home safe.

11/8/2014 Update:   The Cape Caution, the Wizard and the Northwestern are riding out at sea.   THey can't make it back in time and are worried about making quota.    

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/11/08/bering-sea-storm-now-strongest-on-record-in-north-pacific/

Sig what the HELL are you thinking?   You usually put safety first.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2
Crewmembers of the Cape Caution, the Wizard and the Northwestern will be at sea on Saturday, along with two-member film crews from Los Angeles-based Original Productions.

Pritikin said Sig Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, is concerned about the forecasts, but is preparing to face the wind and waves.

“He’s never seen anything like this,” said Pritkin, who spoke to Hansen via satellite phone on Friday. “He’s very confused. There is absolute worry even from the top veterans who have been out there.”

Elliott Neese, captain of the Saga, is visibly concerned as well.   "Jeeze, it's the biggest storm in Bering Sea history," Neese said, nervously wagging his foot.    "What if cell service goes out and I can't call Val?"

• Love 6

merylinkid, was just coming here to see if anyone had posted about the storm.  I'm shocked anyone is trying to ride it out - I would have thought Keith and Sig had more sense than that.  I just realized I'm implying the Hillstrands have more sense than Sig.  I'm not used to this!

Here's another story I found on the boats out there.  http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-extreme-events/deadliest-catch-fishing-boats-to-ride-out-killer-storm-141107.htm?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Discovery&hootPostID=0e9f619a2049032e8fbedea745d65bc7  It sounded like the boats wouldn't be able to safety make it back in time to beat the storm.  Truly, the only ship I would want to be in is the Northwestern.  It appears that Sig runs a tight, safe ship and Edgar can fix absolutely anything.  I have never been given the impression that Sig would foolishly be out in the midst of this.

Elliott Neese, captain of the Saga, is visibly concerned as well.   "Jeeze, it's the biggest storm in Bering Sea history," Neese said, nervously wagging his foot.    "What if cell service goes out and I can't call Val?"

Great.  Iced coffee spewed all over my monitor.