Type keyword(s) to search

Life In Pieces - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I had to turn this off pretty early. After the bit about the birth and the vagina I was getting very skeptical then the next scene was the Dad saying "so your sister tells me your still a virgin" That was it for me, off.

• Love 1

The girl is their sister. The bald guy is not related to them. And I only decided that because one of the brothers kissed her on the head as a welcome when he walked in to the old house. Wikipedia agrees with me.  

I like the bald guy as an actor. He's usually funny in the TV shows I've seen him in (the Mindy Project, Brooklyn 99).  I forgot he was also the 'albino' in the movie The Heat. 

• Love 2

I don't like this show. I thought I would, I hoped I would, but I don't. The only story I like all of is the dating couple one (sorry, I'm terrible with names and picked up almost none). The couple with the baby...I just felt sorry for the dad because he seems pretty cool and I liked when he interacted with his brother, but his wife is just insufferable. I really didn't like how they made the lactation consultant so over the top ridiculous and implied that only crazy people and over zealous moms would really breast feed exclusively. The family with the three kids, I like the son and older daughter but the younger daughter is just a cliche precocious/obnoxious tot and the parents are boring and annoying. The grandparents, more cliche....oooh! Old people have sex! Ew! Please.......

I'll try another episode or two but I don't see how this can get much better.

• Love 1

I made it all the way through, which I still can't believe.  I kept thinking that it had to get better.  Nope.  How can a show with such a good cast be this awful?  Disjointed, clunky, unfunny and kind of gross.

I hated it.

• Love 1

Wow, I heard a Colin Hanks interview on the radio this morning, talking about how the great writing convinced him to do this, and the great actors were just icing on the cake, so I set my DVR to record what turns out to be the 3rd episode tonight (I thought it was premiering).  I hope it's better than the comments for the first two eppies suggest!

No topic started since last night, that doesn't bode well for this show. I actually really liked this episode and I was less than lukewarm on the other two. I think it was a lot funnier while being a LOT less raunchy. And while James Brolin looks amazing, he would do better to keep his shirt on from now on.

The first scenario with Colin Hanks and the actress from Whitney whose name I can't think of had me rolling.

• Love 2

I also thought the show has been moving in a good direction, but they do still rely on raunch, though this time it was more the diarrhea than anything sexual. Would one tiny espresso really cause that much fallout?

Also, the outrage over the newly dating guy having had a first wife struck me as odd. Why was that so terrible for his new girlfriend?

I thought the shirtlessness was actually a sight gag, in that the joke was that these normal looking (non-Adonis) guys were feeling like Sexy ManGods wielding their implements of destruction, but everyone watching just sees the usual inept flabby dudes they're used to. I have to say, as a person who loves DIY, a good tool really will make you feel quite powerful even if all you're doing is the most routine of jobs.

One thing I like a lot, is that the couples on this show actually love and like each other and you can see how each pair is well-matched. Even if they're having a hard time or suffering some kind of conflict, you never feel like one is clearly the superior partner and you can't understand why they are together. The way the one apologized for getting rid of her partner's beloved outfits, and the other fed her partner while he was lying in pain on the floor, and then the one went to get clean clothes without humiliating the other for shitting himself, and he ran interference on the phone call so she could send that email in time-- these couples are teams, even if they're goofy and imperfect. It's such a relief, after years and years of shows where you'd think marriages were forced on people who hate each other, have nothing in common, and don't even try to hide their mutual contempt.

• Love 8

I also thought the show has been moving in a good direction, but they do still rely on raunch, though this time it was more the diarrhea than anything sexual. Would one tiny espresso really cause that much fallout?

Also, the outrage over the newly dating guy having had a first wife struck me as odd. Why was that so terrible for his new girlfriend?

I thought the shirtlessness was actually a sight gag, in that the joke was that these normal looking (non-Adonis) guys were feeling like Sexy ManGods wielding their implements of destruction, but everyone watching just sees the usual inept flabby dudes they're used to. I have to say, as a person who loves DIY, a good tool really will make you feel quite powerful even if all you're doing is the most routine of jobs.

One thing I like a lot, is that the couples on this show actually love and like each other and you can see how each pair is well-matched. Even if they're having a hard time or suffering some kind of conflict, you never feel like one is clearly the superior partner and you can't understand why they are together. The way the one apologized for getting rid of her partner's beloved outfits, and the other fed her partner while he was lying in pain on the floor, and then the one went to get clean clothes without humiliating the other for shitting himself, and he ran interference on the phone call so she could send that email in time-- these couples are teams, even if they're goofy and imperfect. It's such a relief, after years and years of shows where you'd think marriages were forced on people who hate each other, have nothing in common, and don't even try to hide their mutual contempt.

I guess the shock with the ex-wife was simply that he hadn't brought it up yet. But in the first episode they get all the way to her apartment before he finds out that she is living with her ex-fiance... so the ex-wife reveal feels benign. 

They left that plot sort of unresolved. Second time in two episodes they haven't wrapped up plots in a perfect little bow. Not sure how I feel about that yet. But this episode was by far the best yet.

And you nailed it about their depiction of couples. Too many shows take the nagging wife/lazy husband route, and you just wonder if the only reason they're together is so they're not alone. So far I like all three of the younger couples here. Not sold on the parents yet.

• Love 1

I thought this was really funny.  Colin Hanks - who knew he could be so funny??  This is so much better than other unfunny sitcoms that have quickly come and gone (the Robin Williams ad agency one comes to mind).  I saw the first episode but missed the second one.  Looks like I'm in for a while.

The first two episodes were enough to make me watch a third, but I really enjoyed the third.   At leas that whole first setment had me in stitches and the holding out for hero montage.    I think I could really like this show.   

I thought the "first-wife" comment indicated not so much that he was divorced as he'd been divorced more than once?

• Love 1

Loved this ep and I agree that these characters seem to genuinely care for one another, and generally without a lot of snark towards each other. The tree cutting to the tune of "I Need a Hero" had me laughing out loud. Physical comedy combined with what really was a pretty realistic scenario was pretty genius.

And though we've seen the harried mom trying to send an urgent email in other shows, I loved how it was handled. She didn't get shrieky or crazed, but the humor beats were there. Parking the kids with the door-to-door religious lady (Calliope!), the fact that her parents' wifi password was 7, and then her husband coming in with the solution, all nicely done.

As for the upset about 'first wife' I wondered if that was meant to imply more then one ex? I may be hearing something not there, but I heard first and wondered how many ex's he has.

Edited to add: looks like bybrandy and I had the same thought.

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 1
As for the upset about 'first wife' I wondered if that was meant to imply more then one ex? I may be hearing something not there, but I heard first and wondered how many ex's he has.

That's how I took it.  If he'd been married only once, the convention would be to say "his ex-wife."  In fact, as this was the first episode I watched and I didn't know the extent of the son's relationship with this woman, the reference to "his first wife" made me think the two of them had married without his telling her he'd been married before.  Now I understand that their relationship is fairly new.

Wasn't sure at first but absolutely loving this show now -- totally agree with a post on the third episode thread that it is so refreshing to see married couples who actually enjoy each other and respect each other.  Love the casting too -- overall this is a must see for Mrportergirl99 and me!

• Love 2

I think my first favorite part was both the exchanges about wizard fingers.  Just the fact that the wife knew they were called wizard fingers slayed me, and then  "Fist me."  Heh.

I also like the tree bit, but was far too concerned about where that tree might go if they had been able to actually make progress on chopping it down.

Colin Hanks is a riot!

• Love 1

I thought the shirtlessness was actually a sight gag, in that the joke was that these normal looking (non-Adonis) guys were feeling like Sexy ManGods wielding their implements of destruction, but everyone watching just sees the usual inept flabby dudes they're used to.

Haha I agree that this was what they were going for and it was a great sight gag, I just meant that I'm used to James Brolin being hot and I was devastated seeing his inept flabbiness, once was enough for me!

This one wasn't as good as last week's, mostly because of the first story with the ex-fiancee. I'm hoping this will be the last of his character because I think the humor they're going for with that storyline has an entirely different tone then the rest of the pieces and I think it doesn't help to be the first bit in the episode. I've liked all the interactions between the dating couple that have not involved her former fiancee/roommate, but when he's on, it just feels off. 

That said, I liked a lot of the moments in last night's show. And I liked that they weren't all punchlines. When the daughters were looking at the high windows that looked like eyes? Nicely done. Also all the moments with the new mom and her mother-in-law, her sister-in-law and niece and how each of them was telling her how to mother. And then the golf game. Lots of great dialogue flying there. And then Brolin kissed his son-in-law on the lips and then declared that he wasn't going to lose. Very funny.

Maybe the mods can tie all the existing episode threads into an All Episodes thread?

I love Jordan Peele, but have to agree with @pop-tart that the threads with him just don't have the same feel as the rest of the show.

The kid eating the peanut had me rolling in laughter. So disgusting! Then his dad dying to tell him!

I liked all of the scenarios except for the ex-fiancee one.  It wasn't funny and we almost changed the channel.  I really like this show - it's the best one of the other new ones I've watched so far.  I hope it grows and gets an audience.  Last week's episode was hilarious!!

Edited by roughing it

Maybe the mods can tie all the existing episode threads into an All Episodes thread?

I love Jordan Peele, but have to agree with @pop-tart that the threads with him just don't have the same feel as the rest of the show.

The kid eating the peanut had me rolling in laughter. So disgusting! Then his dad dying to tell him!

I'll give it a couple more episodes and if we are still the only 5 - 6 people posting I'll make it one big thread. I know we're just a microcosm of the outside world but I hope it doesn't get cancelled because it is a pretty fun, weird little show. I like it. And I'm surprised BBT as a lead in isn't helping it.

• Love 2

I like this show pretty well. I almost wish they hadn't segmented it into 4 sections though. We really get about 5 minutes per story when they do it that way. Maybe it just feels like we don't get enough since I am just finishing up binge watching parks and rec where I watched 3 episodes at a time multiple times a week so you become familiar real quick with the characters.

So far I've found it pretty amusing though. When it shows up on the dvr it's the first thing I pick to watch so that's saying something.

I can't remember, but did we get an explanation why the daughter and her family moved? (Sorry, I'm terrible with learning character names!)

Also, what was the run time for this episode? I think the first clip ran for twelve minutes before we saw a commercial break. Seemed to go on a long time compared to BBT, which feels like it has more commercials than show.

I found some funny moments in the ex-boyfriend segment.

Matt (paraphrasing):  I just want to point out that she went black and then she indeed went back. 

Chad (also paraphrasing):  But Mark you're my best friend.

Matt:  We've met twice!  My name is Matt!

I lol'd at both of those heehee.

Where has Thomas Sadoski been my whole life, he's adorable, and why did I never realize how funny Colin Hanks is?  I hope I can get more people to give this show a shot. 

• Love 3

Where has Thomas Sadoski been my whole life, he's adorable, and why did I never realize how funny Colin Hanks is?  I hope I can get more people to give this show a shot.

If you haven't watched Newsroom, you should do so, you'll get lots of Thomas Sadoski. He starts out as a bit of a jerk as a character but boy does that change. And while the series was not Aaron Sorkin at his West Wing best, there were enough great moments to keep me watching for the whole run. 

In terms of the show, it is the only new entry this year that I want to watch live if possible and if not, it's the first thing I go to on the DVR. 

I'm enjoying this show. I'm glad the tone changed post pilot. Hopefully we will never have to see the ex-fiancé again. The performance and writing of the character is just too extra for this show. I don't believe she would have actually dated someone like that.

Really love Colin Hanks and Dianne Wiest here. My favorite couple so far is the new baby, and I like the sister's son.

Let me add to the chorus of Jordn Pele is awesome but doesn't fit on this show.  I almost turned it off during his segment and then the next segment didn't work for me either.  But the peanut and the golf?  Both of those really, really worked for me.   I think the show is clearly figuring things out and I hope it is on long enough to build an audience once the show is more even.   Because the best moments on this show are my favorite new show of the season.  The only bad part is that the worst parts are probably my least favorite new show of the season.  

Those eye grates were creepy and dad being excited to tell teen son about the peanut?   Still makes me laugh just thinking of it.   

I can't remember, but did we get an explanation why the daughter and her family moved? (Sorry, I'm terrible with learning character names!)

They don't appear to have moved very far.  I'm assuming that they just wanted a larger house and decided that it was time to upgrade.  They said "you have your own room now" to the younger daughter so I'm thinking they were sharing at the old house.

• Love 1

I found some funny moments in the ex-boyfriend segment.

Matt (paraphrasing):  I just want to point out that she went black and then she indeed went back. 

Chad (also paraphrasing):  But Mark you're my best friend.

Matt:  We've met twice!  My name is Matt!

I lol'd at both of those heehee.

Where has Thomas Sadoski been my whole life, he's adorable, and why did I never realize how funny Colin Hanks is?  I hope I can get more people to give this show a shot. 

When the ex scooched his chair over to sit closer to the grandma? Loved it! 

I loved how Colin Hanks character's quiet conversation with his mom ended up being him screaming and freaking out on her by the time it worked it's way through the family grapevine. 

Edited by Mrs OldManBalls
  • Love 1

Tim and Heather accidentally make things awkward when Tyler introduces his new girlfriend to the family; an obnoxious co-worker (Ken Marino) catches Matt and Colleen canoodling at the office.

I thought I'd start a topic right away this week.

Enjoyed tonight's episode and the various stories. Nothing earth-shattering here, but the actors in this cast are so solid, one and all, that I just find myself smiling and enjoying each week.

Each of the stories was funny, but I laughed the most at the first one. Yes, it could have been creepy, but I thought they skirted the line very well. All these guys just flustered (and the women too) and ending with the toast to the boobs? Made me laugh out loud. 

The other stories just worked for me, even if they didn't make me laugh as much. 

• Love 4

Pretty damn hilarious in all vignettes. 

I'm normally not a fan of precocious children, especially on TV, but I'm loving Sophia.  Her relationship with Pop Pop is awesome.  "So....You wanna go get your ears pierced?"  *ROFL*

Big Colin hanks fan, first in Fargo last season and here.  The new parent relationship is coming off sympathetic and amusing, which is a tough combination to pull off. 

I want to be Dianne Wiest when I grow up.  

• Love 3

I just love this show.  Tyler (whoever the actor is) is so great with the incredulous expressions.  And I was dying at Tim and Heather's cluelessness....because they knew they were being clueless, but they couldn't seem to help themselves.  The middle daughter taking it all in with the "I told you so" expression while not being the typically overt obnoxious know-it-all type of child was priceless.  The child casting on this show was genius IMO.

I really like the entire cast, not a clunker in the bunch.  Some stories are better than others, I tend to prefer the ones with Colin Hanks family (sorry, don't know the character names yet) and the Tim/Heather/Tyler family, but I really enjoy all of them.  I guess it's moving to Thursdays now, not sure why or if that is a good or bad thing.  And damn, how hot is James Brolin still?  How old is he anyway?

• Love 6

I don't know how I feel about precocious and manipulative little girls, but it was adorable how much her grandfather wanted to make her happy.

It seems this show likes to leave plots a little open ended. At first it confused me, but after a few episodes I'm really enjoying that they don't explain away everything like we are mindless drones.

The move to Thursday is because CBS plays football for the first six weeks on Thursday. So that start their Thursday lineup on Monday, then move them to Thursday. (And start new Monday shows next week presumably?)

Good episode, loved the skunk trapper guy story.  I really like this show.  Hope CBS gives it a chance.  Already moving it to Thursday on Nov 5.

The move to Thursday was always planned as soon as football ended. Big Bang is also moving to Thursday, so this show will still have BB as it's lead in, which keeps it pretty safe I think.

And yes the skunk guy was hilariously gross.

• Love 1