Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E22: I'm Thinking Of You All The While

(edited)

Let's not pretend like any of the Mystic Falls crew is better than Kai with the exception of Bonnie and Matt and Tyler. They are ALL mass murderers. My point is Kai seemed to have a genuine change of heart after his merge with Luke and Bonnie still tried to kill him. And it seems like it was getting stranded in the 1903 prison world that made Kai revert to his sociopathic self and provoked the wedding massacre. Bonnie messed up.

While they were in 1903, he nicely told her that he would...what was it exactly...do something to her and no one would be able to hear her scream? Oh yeah, sounds like a great guy that one.  Kai didn't have a change of heart, Kai was the exact same monster that he was to her throughout the entire time. Bonnie didn't mess up, she treated him the same way he treated her...oh wait...she didn't leave him to DIE. Kai was a psychopath, period. 

Edited by venusnv80
  • Love 2

This felt like a series finale; if you ignore the last, say, thirty seconds and just end at the time-lapse mausoleum shot, that's the end of TVD. And in many ways, it was the finale. Elena's the main character. I mean, I know Smallville got away with it, but at the same time Season 8 sucked and I didn't care about the rest of it.

I loved the episode, but I love/hate that being a vampire ruined Elena. The proof of that is in the fact that her return to humanity made her the old Elena, the awesome Elena who stabbed a vampire with pencils, who used herself as a human shield for Caroline, who cut herself to lure in an Original vampire and take him down, who cared about her friends and family. Vamplena was one bad decision after another, and Evilena was a nightmare to watch. And that's how it should have been--it should not be purely beneficial to become a horror-movie monster--but it doesn't make it easier to watch.

I'll still be back next year, but it already doesn't feel the same.

• Love 5

And it seems like it was getting stranded in the 1903 prison world that made Kai revert to his sociopathic self and provoked the wedding massacre. Bonnie messed up.

It's more likely that the writers forgot that they gave Kai a personality change.

Hm I thought it was pretty clear that Bonnie was right all along -- Kai's remorse wasn't permanent and he remained a danger. If they left him in their world and Bonnie continued to reject his advances I think he would have gone off the rails. Bonnie's only mistake was a typical good guy mistake -- she didn't kill him. Kai's sick obsession with Bonnie just amped up the twistedness of his plan. He could have killed Bonnie and Elena outright.

• Love 1

Bonnie's only mistake was a typical good guy mistake-- she didn't kill him.

While that is true, ironically,I think she didn`t do it for good guy reasons. She figured leaving him stranded in a prison world would be so much worse and so much more poetic justice. In essence, she wanted to draw out his suffering. Which, was actually a good plan to do that. It just went sideways.

On a shallow note, I will say that in that final flash forward, Mystic Falls may have looked like crap but I thought the apocalyptic lighting and all made Damon look super-hot up on that clock tower. It was actually intriguing because his facial expression was enigmatic enough that you couldn`t go clear-cut "evil" or "good". If he`d smirked or something that would have given it away.

(edited)

While that is true, ironically,I think she didn`t do it for good guy reasons.

She absolutely did, killing him meant the coven, Jo and the twins would die (which sadly they did anyways) but that was what was stopping everyone from killing him. Probably the reason why they came up with the prison world idea to begin with.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

Obviously, they had the same dilemma with Kai they had with Klaus, kill him and it kills others. But I do believe Bonnie did it for poetic revenge as well. And I`m not ragging on her for that. She was more than entitled and I liked that she stood up for herself more this Season. I like it a lot when a character isn`t always goody two-shoes.

I was completely confused why everyone assumed Elena wasn't going to age.  I was going wait....does nobody realize she is no longer a vampire?  Did the writers actually forget something from the last freakin episode?!  I still don't really understand why her body wouldn't age at this point (I know, I know....a wizard did it *waves hands*).  I did absolutely love Damon beheading Kai.  That was classic Damon and a perfect violent ending for my beloved psycho, Kai.  I didn't want Kai to hang around and get woobified like Klaus.  I feared he was going to end up teaming up with the gang to fight the witchpires after seeing the havoc they wrought in MF and starting to feel all the feels.  Better to take him out as the pure psycho he started off as.

I admit to tearing up at the goodbyes.  It was well done by the writers and I actually felt bad for everyone who loved Elena.  I am sure she will come back for the last episode (or the last couple of episodes) of the series, but I dearly hope they manage to do it without killing Bonnie.  I also hope they simply ignore the fact that she ever existed for the remainder of the series.  I do NOT want a season (or multiple seasons) of everyone trying to figure out how to break the spell.  Whereas I DID want to see the gang trying to figure out how to save Bonnie when she was trapped in Kai's prison world.  Guess that shows which character I actually give a damn about.  LOL

@Ladyrott.

There was a line from Kai that said something along the lines of "Elena would be perfectly frozen in time".

So, I am late, and most points have already been covered but I just wanted to add my thoughts to the Bonnie thing in 1903. My interpretation was that Bonnie intended to kill Kai. I remember her above him about to knife him in the chest, but he cloaked himself and got away. Leaving him behind was the next best thing.

The dance was weird. A little over the top.
I cried at the scene with the girls saying goodbye. I could see they were real tears/really sad.

WTF did they have Tyler kill his girlfriend? That is so messed up.

I still can't believe they killed off Rick's family. If Jo was no longer a witch or a part of the coven, surely she and her babies would have been spared being killed off with the rest, if it hadn't been for his surprise murderous entrance.

To me this was the second darkest episode in TVD. I really liked Liv and Luke and I was sad to see her go and the general massacre. If I were Alaric, I might have tried to kill myself too. To paraphrase Bloodlines, "He's too old to start brand new."

• Love 1

Matt Davis hasn't had to act very much in his six years on this show, but he really brought it last night with the grief and desperation and anger.

He was superb!  Cannot say enough about his acting there.  

But WTF did they kill Jo!?!?!  Poor Ric cannot catch a break!

I still can't believe that Tyler smothered his girlfriend. I don't care if she was already dying.

I suppose that she and Jo can come back at some point, what with that revolving door to the afterlife that's brought so many characters back. Unless the futzing around with that really did make the afterlife disappear? I can't remember what's what anymore.

I think the Other Side is truly kaput. That doesn`t mean the writers couldn`t make crap up to have characters re-appear. But while I could see Jo in bourbon-induced Alaric-visions, I don`t think she or Liv will be really seen again. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Elena's the main character. I mean, I know Smallville got away with it, but at the same time Season 8 sucked and I didn't care about the rest of it.

I actually felt the opposite. I preferred it without Lana Lang because I felt Clana ate the show. Lex was the real loss IMO but Lana should have moved on from end of season 4 when they brought Lois Lane on. The problem I find with this show (and that show) is they don't know when to let a story end. They are too busy serving their fantasies and shipper fantasies to find the real story and tell it in any real and meaningful way.

I think letting human Elena leave of her own volition to see what was out there would have been the most truthful and respectful end to her character. and certainly more valuable than watching her friends and brother die as she waits to be with her "true love". The sibling relationships were the most important ones on the show in the first few seasons and this episode relegated her goodbye to her brother to a less than two minute scene where everyone more or less accepted it. Ridiculous and all to suffer at the altar of Delena., that's not storytelling. 

I myself wonder if Plec and co can even deem to write a half decent story but I certainly think she'll have a better chance without the albatross of Elena around her neck, which is sad because Elena is only an albatross because Plec in her infinite hackdom, wrote her that way. It's a sad turn of events for a show that started out so well but I truly think the characters will finally be permitted to be as close to who they truly were without Elena (under Plec's pen).

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

When Liv died and Tyler dramatically said, "Nooooooo!" I just laughed. Dude, you KNEW that you were killing her to save yourself. It's not like it was a surprise that she died after your put your hand over her nose and mouth.

Thank god he's pretty, cause Tyler really is dumb as dirt.... Heck dirt might even be winning that contest.

I know, it was all supposed to be very serious, but Caroline and Stefan's respective ability to pick the most inappropriate and awkward spot for initiating relationship talk made me laugh. These two are made for each other. How the scene mirrored the one they had before the funeral service of Caroline's mother was nicely done.

I thought the same thing, it came off as a tad insensitive. Although, to be fair, Elena is in mortal danger every other week so maybe being a little desensitized to the whole thing is to be expected.

I'm usually a big Caroline fan but I haven't loved her this season and the finale was no exception. 

IMO this Steroline storyline has done her no favors this year.  Her character has come across as very needy and unreasonable, almost resembling season 1 and backtracking on any character growth we have seen.  I mean, again with the "Stefan didn't profess his feelings for me over my dead mom's corpse!"

On another front- I kinda think she lost the right to give Tyler any relationship advice once she boned the guy who killed his mom......... and I say this as someone who is a fan of Klaus and Caroline!

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I don't really like the character that much when Plec and Dries start writing for her as one of the leads?

On a positive note I thought Alaric was AMAZING in his scenes.  Light years beyond any of the other dramatic scenes we have seen on this show lately.

Stefan, Kai, Bonnie, Elena, Matt were also really enjoyable this episode.

I also found it amusing the vampires of the group thought making it 60 years was a given..... Ummm guys have you watched your show?? You boneheads have a new mortal enemy trying to kill you every 3rd episode!

• Love 3
she was the only one who gave a damn that he lost Jo this episode... and she was asleep!

I know, seriously! Did anyone else else say ANYTHING to Alaric or try to comfort him at all?

I guess to be fair, everyone else was probably like, "Well, Alaric, you're three for three. Maybe you should just become some kind of celibate monk?"

• Love 6

I didn't think Steroline was insensitive to Elena. I thought it was insensitive to Alaric... the man who know, lost his bride and his unborn children on his wedding day. Watch me be not!surprised that Alaric made it for Elena's 'wake' ... Although to be fair, she was the only one who gave a damn that he lost Jo this episode... and she was asleep!

Such a good point!

I had only been thinking about the hospital scene but looking back human Elena was the only one with the consideration to even address it.

These characters get less and less likeable every episdode.

• Love 1

I didn't think Steroline was insensitive to Elena. I thought it was insensitive to Alaric... the man who know, lost his bride and his unborn children on his wedding day. Watch me be not!surprised that Alaric made it for Elena's 'wake' ... Although to be fair, she was the only one who gave a damn that he lost Jo this episode... and she was asleep!

Yeah, considering that he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger, maybe he needs a bit of support. And as much as I hate throwing compliments in MD's direction, I was floored by how finished he looked. Alaric seemed like he was just done--done fighting, done caring, done with everything. And considering that the only person rivaling him in the "losing everything sweepstakes" is currently in a likely 60-year coma...yeah.

Speaking of Elena, I wish someone had given her a roll of bills and some sort of communication device. If all of them except Bonnie die tomorrow, which is entirely possible, she'll be screwed when she wakes up and is a waifish twenty-year-old orphan with no house, car or money. Heck, throw Kai's bottle of Zima in there too, who knows what it'd be worth by then?

• Love 1

I liked this season overall and I liked the Gemini coven storyline and thought that the addition of Siphoners and Heretics were a good bit of worldbuilding. It was much better than season 5 at least. But one thing I hated about this season was how there was a "deep" Delena scene every. single. episode.

• Love 1

On a shallow note, I will say that in that final flash forward, Mystic Falls may have looked like crap but I thought the apocalyptic lighting and all made Damon look super-hot up on that clock tower. It was actually intriguing because his facial expression was enigmatic enough that you couldn`t go clear-cut "evil" or "good". If he`d smirked or something that would have given it away.

It's the Batman effect!

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, considering that he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger, maybe he needs a bit of support. And as much as I hate throwing compliments in MD's direction, I was floored by how finished he looked. Alaric seemed like he was just done--done fighting, done caring, done with everything. And considering that the only person rivaling him in the "losing everything sweepstakes" is currently in a likely 60-year coma...yeah.

Yeah that part really got to me as well. I really don't seem him coming back from this. I'm not saying he's not gonna come out of the other side of the woods, but he's definitely not going to be the same Alaric we knew.

On a lighter note, you think he's gonna go all Rustlin Cohle? Talking about smelling the psychosphere and monologuing about the secret fate of life? It would be funny to see Damon's face reacting to that

Edited by raytch

Ha, I can totally imagine Damon putting up with it the first few times and making some hilarious WTF faces while muttering to himself that Alaric has been through a tragedy so he has to cut him some slack and then one day Damon says, "Look, Ric, you really need to STFU with this weirdo mumbo jumbo."

• Love 1
(edited)

Such a good point!

I had only been thinking about the hospital scene but looking back human Elena was the only one with the consideration to even address it.

These characters get less and less likeable every episdode.

That's what Plec doesn't understand about writing a show. People tune in for the family dynamic between friends. They had that in the beginning then she came in and ripped it to shreds and no one (including the audience) was inclined to give a shit about anybody. Where would it leave Beverly Hills 90210 if the only people talking to each other were Brenda and Kelly over their never ending fight for Dylan (who IMO belonged with Brenda anyway). Just stupid, insipid,embarrasing writing. Stephanie Meyer gets a lot of flack but she sure knows how to write family dynamics.

You mean to tell me that Alaric lost his family and future relatives in a day and no one gave a shit it was all Elena, Elena, Elena? Bonnie is the only one who gets a pass because douchebag Alaric has done zip and zilch for her. Everyone else? Terrible.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I thought that was a clever way to write Ňina off the show yet allow her to come back at some point. It gave me closure because she could interact with three other characters and say goodbye, but they didn't come up with an artificial reason for her to decide to leave town. Well done, writers! I loved how Damon killed Kai and saved Bonnie, without being told to. He really has grown. Did Elena call her HIS best friend right after he called Bonnie hers? Awwwww. Damon really had changed for the better.

Anyway, I even went out of my way to tell a family member how she was written off three show, I thought it was so clever.

I'm confused by that final scene though. At first I thought we were jumping ahead to when she wakes up, but Matt was a cop, not 80.

I hope that crypt opens from the inside...

I didn't get why Tyler had to suffocate what's her face. To help him turn into a wolf? Confusing.

Also, at the wedding, after the attack, I thought at first people were racing to save three bride, and had to rewatch to see it was Elena. That was weird. She was first one who needed help if it was at a all possible to save her with vamp blood.

I would love for Bonnie to be the focus of next season.

Edited by Andromeda

I didn't get why Tyler had to suffocate what's her face. To help him turn into a wolf? Confusing.

Yeah, he and Liv were both dying, but Liv knew there was no chance for her because her whole coven was dying. So Tyler would heal if he triggered his werewolf curse, so he essentially sped her death up a bit. It was a pretty depressing callback to the (great) scene earlier in the season (that harvest festival massacre episode) where Liv did the same thing when Tyler accidentally hit a guy with his car (I think?). He was dying, and Liv suffocated him so that she caused his death, in order to prevent Tyler's curse from triggering. 

• Love 4

I just watched the Finale.  I liked it.  I think it was a good and creative way to say goodbye to Elena.  It did leave me with what felt like some pretty obvious questions though:

1)  Maybe I missed it, but did Kai specify that Elena wasn't going to age while she was asleep?  I know he said that as long as Bonnie is alive Elena remains asleep.  I got that.  But I didn't hear any other specifics.  I kept wondering this all through the "goodbyes" and especially during the "see you laters".  It took me out of those moments a little bit.

2)  Why on Earth didn't any of the vamps at the wedding go to Jo and at least TRY to save her with vampire blood?  Granted, she looked pretty gravely injured, but I feel like someone should have at least tried for the sake of consistency if nothing else.  The vamps ALWAYS try vamp blood on the severely (even gravely) injured.  It seemed weird to me that no one rushed to her to make an attempt.

3)  If Kai didn't really die (at the wedding, not later when he lost his head) then why did the whole Gemini coven croak at that time?  That felt like some serious reaching to me as far as loopholes go...

Those things aside, I really did like this episode.  I do have mixed emotions about Kai's death.  I LOVED to hate his character but the way Damon took him out was epic!  I will really miss Chris Woods.  He quickly became a favorite of mine.  He has an unbelievable gift for playing crazy evil and he's easy on the eyes to boot!

Overall, I give the finale two thumbs up.  I just hope that Damon does not go back to being completely psycho next season.  I do agree with other posters who have commented about the show being consistently inconsistent.  I've been with it since day one, though, so I'm on this ride until the very end!  :-)

If Kai didn't really die (at the wedding, not later when he lost his head

He'd ingested Lily's vampire blood before showing up at the wedding so, when he stabbed his carotid artery, he was able to come back while the rest of the coven died. 

1)  Maybe I missed it, but did Kai specify that Elena wasn't going to age while she was asleep?  I know he said that as long as Bonnie is alive Elena remains asleep.  I got that.  But I didn't hear any other specifics.

It was in the hospital when he talked to Damn, Kai said she would be perfectly preserved in that moment in time so yup, no aging for her. 

(edited)

Thanks so much, Carrie Ann, for the info on Liv and Tyler. I don't always remember remember the show's rules for magic. So the curse is triggered by extreme emotions like those caused by smothering your girlfriend? I'd think the massacre itself would be enough in that case.

I knew you meant "ErnestoRiley" but I stopped paying attention to the actor so long ago, that I didn't know any of the above. I just remember him promoting really irresponsible conspiracy theories after the Boston Marathon bombing.

I quite like MM. I was kind of hoping that Alaric and Jo would make it and leave Mystic Falls. I like Alaric, but yeah, I have concerns about the actor.

Wow, I had no idea about the actor who plays Alaric. Few ideas are as offensive to me as those conspiracy theories--except perhaps Sandy Hook deniers. I'll just have to try to forget about that when I watch, because I really like Alaric.

Edited by Andromeda

So the curse is triggered by extreme emotions like those caused by smothering your girlfriend?

No, the werewolf curse is triggered by killing a human. Accidental, intentionally, doesn`t matter, as long as the wolf-to-be causes the death of another person. The entire scene was a callback to when Tyler accidentally ran over a bunch of people during that corn festival shenanigans earlier in the Season and Liv choked that one guy to death before he could die from the injuries of the car accident. Because she killed him "first", it didn`t trigger Tyler`s curse as it would have otherwise.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, I had no idea about the actor who plays Alaric. Few ideas are as offensive to me as those conspiracy theories--except perhaps Sandy Hook deniers. I'll just have to try to forget about that when I watch, because I really like Alaric.

Just do what homegirl does and pretend Alaric is the actor and Matt Davis is the character. I thought that was a pretty clever way to cope so I've been trying it out myself.

Edited by slayer2
(edited)

Thank goodness for Netflix suggestions. I would have never found this show called Roswell. It had me even more disappointed in the finale and Elena as a character. I thought I was just biased against Elena because she's the lead female love interest(The character I usually hate), but this character Liz showed me the light. I just hate Elena because she's a bad character.

Now onto why this finale and this sleeping curse is r******* (mostly DE as a whole). TVD is a example of the negative side of fans being able to voice their opinions so visibly. I'll be honest I caught up on TVD with Netflix in the fall. So thankfully I was able to skip most of the DE saga(Especially when things got repetitive).

1. The writers ended up losing how they originally wanted to tell their story.

2.They wrote themselves into a corner by trying to cater to a certain fan-base. I.E the sleeping curse. As I've said before no matter what happens in Damon's story line it won't mean anything in the end because he'll end up with Elena either way(Unless ND won't return for the finale and than he dies with Stefan. Which I hope that's the case). Also the whole plot hole of when the witch dies they're spell is undone(mostly this applies to the Silas story. Because up until that point witches died all the time and their spell wasn't undone).

I have a lot more points but these two were the main ones and I don't want to go on for ages. 

Basically if Roswell were made in this day and age I shutter to think how it would have turned out with fans being so vocal(Story wise. Thankfully they saved the finale season). Unless fans are trying to save a show I hope them having a major impact on the story loosens up and the writer can follow their vision all the way through.Not switching up mid-way. If you haven't watched Roswell yet than Netfix isn't doing you any favors. 

Edited by Cocidius

P.S.  How did Kai get out of the prison world without the ascendant???  If that was mentioned I missed it...

He had an ascendant.  The ascendant used to transport between worlds (our world and the prison world) doesn't leave the world it belongs to.  That's why when Bonnie, Damon, Elena, and Kai go to the 1903 prison world, Elena and Damon immediately go off in search of the ascendant in order to get home.  The ascendant they used to get TO the 1903 world was still back in the regular world.  And the 1903 ascedant they used to get home stayed in the 1903 prison world.  They just assumed that Kai wouldn't be able to use it to get home because he ALSO needed Bennet blood, which he got from Qetsiyah's headstone or grave or whatever.

So I pretty much gave up on this show after episode 5 of Season five because... I don't even remember . I just did. And then I was reading up and watching youtube clips, and I was like wow.  Season 6 really got interesting. and for the most part -i enjoyed it a a lot (heck even if I hated it. I can now  watch season seven and snark with my people! I see a few friends from other boards)

Here are some overall things I thought for the entire season .    

Jo & Her Impending Death: I was surprised she died so fast. but the entire  time especially when they were explaining how the whole Twin-Coven thing worked.   I was like. well even if she had one kid (or the twins), -  if something happened to  Kai, Jo + Babies were dead. To me that's like the #1 fear I would have  being married and having kids with a witch who was linked to a coven. Twice now, we've seen that take out  the leader of a coven , everyone dies. Quite frankly,  I would have  been more sympathetic to Alaric losing loved one #3 if she was 100 percent, pure unadulterated human.  (or akin to Bonnie - non  -coven-attached witch).

Kai (who was really,  kinda cool). I think for the most part they really hit all the 'evil/villian' notes with him. And I really have to wonder what came first (constantly) with Kai - the chicken or the egg .  Kai is evil. was it because he was basically called an abomination his entire life, and then he just snaps? or was this something that happened with all magic-siphoining Geminis (see: Herectics). And even merging with Luke... I see it (in this entire span of being like Buffy/Angel).   a Merged Lukai was akin to Faith finally realising that what she did was wrong  and that she couldn't really work through it, but there was a chance that he could be redeemed. And Bonnie broke him. The line of "well if everyone expects you to be evil, be evil, right?" So it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if people trusted Lukai.

(this is not to say that Bonnie was 100 percent not justified in what she did. she totally, utterly was. it is just really interesting to see if Lukai would have snapped had he had been given a chance to prove that he was not a freak/an abomination, and ultimately unredeemable. Kai as himself - never had that chance)

Damon Losing Elenacure:  I really hope this gets touched on, because I think Damon was given an ultimate gift. Stefan said it. being a vampire (as brutal/deadly, whatever) it is - is what makes Damon, Damon. as a human, Damon was never really anything special. he was ordinary. (and driftless). he got a long 60++ years to think about it. And ironically enough. that is just more time  to enforce the fact that Damon as a human could never work.

Sleeping Elena:  I think that was a lame cop out. Nice, Romantic, whatever, but it basically puts Damon in the same place he was 6 seasons ago. Pining for someone in a crypt unable to move on with his life. Elena should have been killed in the non epic showdown (seriously show.that didn't happen as lame as Clark vs. Doomsday in Smallville either. what gives? give us the beat down). and let Damon/Bonnie get over that together. or she becomes human and realises that she wants to live her life free of everything non MF. (including Damon). basically, Kelly-Taylor herself. both done - but at least it shows committment. Sleeping Elena kinda sucks, and it really.. really makes me mad for

Bonnie (the great and powerful, and showing it): is now stuck with knowing that she can't really live her life because of Elena. (and Damon). like I think it was genius (and a nice ploy by Kai to try to make it so  Bonnie's life would be in danger by Damon - early season Damon would have killed Bonnie asap,  I feel). but this Bonnnie and Damon have become great friends. but Witches can live like. forever etc. And is it just.. Bonnie? Or Bonnie's essence? what's "cheating"    (like. I would consider becoming a Witchpire an ultimate cheat).

But for someone who liked Bonnie from the get go  and just got  so incredibly mad that they basically used her as a walking/human sacrifice every season that she basically grew up, and said screw everyone its' all about me and what I want. and then her coup de gras is  well now you are an anchor again. of one. and you can't you know live to 200 years old and look cute and adorable because thats' just more time you're "stealing" from Elena. 

Lilly and her Travelling Freak Show (including Enzo).  i don't care. (are we suposed to care?) Why does Lily not like her sons? (I inhaled this so fast -  2 seasons in 2.5 days). Like. I don't get it. at all. And now we have more Gemini-Witchpires.  and more Enzo. Why does this show constantly like keeping the weakest links that don't work?

and meh on Stefan and Carolline.

Sleeping Elena makes me really mad, especially for her character. Nevermind that I haven't found her likeable in a very long time, this girl is supposed to be the show's main character. She's supposed to be more than the price for the male hero. This ending for her simply reaffirms that she's really nothing more than that. Her exit has no agenda from Elena, she is merely fridged until the show's over and Damon can claim her again. They could have just had Elena leave town for know, explore the world, something, it's not like this show will go on for that many more seasons and time even passes much slower in show time!

I think the writers found themselves in a corner once she wanted out.

Leaving town is very out of character and killing her off would be cruel and useless (see the OC killing off Marissa though I cheered in glee when that happened), I think it was a good exit for her and really liked that we got back to basics Elena.

As for her only existing as Damon's prize... Well she always has, and the fact that she was so well written in the first few seasons is kind of a luxury. It's CW after all... I don't mean to diss all their shows but from the ones I've seen, female characters don't have much agency and as you said, exist for the mere purpose of being the love interest. Good examples would be Laurel on Arrow (especially in seasons 1 and 2) and Iris on The Flash.

Edited by raytch