Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E22: I'm Thinking Of You All The While

(edited)

Crucial, when you said this:

I also thought you were confused as to whether or not Elena died, and if so, why. 

Now I know why I haven't posted in this thread this season.  Delete everything I've said.  Will enjoy the last episode alone. Thought I would comment on the show instead I'm being told I am confused.  So fine I'm confused and know nothing of the show and the final episode.

Edited by Crucial

There actually was a lot to like in this episode... Most has already been mentioned.

I am so glad they actually killed Kai! Let the bad guys be bad and kill them at a regular interval! I'm still irritated by how long Klaus hung around. Kai and the whole dumb coven are gone and I think it is a very good thing. Too bad the coven death apparently didn't apply to the heretics... They are Gemini supposedly... But I guess being siphoners and vampires means they don't die??

I assume the ruin of mystic falls in the flash forward is because of the witch-vamps being dicks, which is a bummer ... Why hang around MF anyway?

The Goodbyes were all quite touching... A good send off for the character... She doesn't need to come back.

It will be interesting to see what the direction will be next season.

• Love 1

That was underwhelming.

• Elena should have officially died. Not a damn sleeping curse. The biggest draw back to this any Damon stuff won't mean anything in the end.
  • Connecting Bonnie to the curse. WTF Plec give the girl a brake.
  • The showdown Chris said we'd get was no where to be found.
  • Cliffhanger was dumb as f*ck
  • Skipped nearly all the meaningless goodbye scenes. The only one I watched was the girls. Favorite scene of the night.
  • Enzo and Lily who?
  • Bye Gemini you were annoying while you were here. Thanks for blessing us with Kai.
  • Plus side they can focus on plot instead of love lives.
  • Fingers crossed they cast great actors for the heretics next season. No Cami's,Hayleys, or Freyas. Oh and Livs.  
  • Love 1

So they killed off Jo, Tyler is gone, Matt left town (is he gone from the show too?), Kai is (FINALLY, thanks Damon) dead, the entire Gemini coven is dead, & Elena is stuck in a coffin for the next 60 years or so (why a coffin? she's not dead), but friggin' Enzo is still there, Lily is still there, & now all the witchpires are all there. Are they going to rewrite the premise of the show next season? Now it's Lily & her family? I hope not, because they bore me.

Caroline seems completely unaffected by her time as a ripper, she should start judging people again any time now.

If Kat Graham decides to leave the show, they're going to have to send Bonnie on a mission somewhere far away, & occasionally have people talk to her on the phone, because they won't be able to kill her off.

• Love 1

Now I know why I haven't posted in this thread this season.  Delete everything I've said.  Will enjoy the last episode alone. Thought I would comment on the show instead I'm being told I am confused.  So fine I'm confused and know nothing of the show and the final episode.

Whoa, calm down.  You wrote a post that was inaccurate.  Someone politely replied with a correction.  But if you want to enjoy alone, that's probably for the best.

Just to avoid confusion, Elena doesn't die!  

• Love 14

So, after everything, all you had to do was distract Kai and knock his head off? Convenient the way characters seem to remember this stuff when the bad writing calls for it. There were literally dozens of times someone could have done that but Kai was supposed to be too powerful for something so simple.

Just put Matt on a building with a hunting rifle - done and done.

• Love 3

What is there to take away from this, speaking shortly?

Bamon is dead. Damon won't move on to her since Elena is just put in the freezer.

Bonkai is dead. As in dead, dead.

Steroline is endgame but the writers want to milk it for even more drama before sealing the deal, as if one whole season weren't enough.

Delena is endgame and the show wants to string along that fanbase with this finale even though Nina is gone.

Positive aspects of the episode: Good acting by most people involved, nice speech from Stefan to Caroline at last. Show shifting focus next season to a more pro-active female lead should have positive consequences for the storytelling.

Negative aspects of the episode: Too much sappy Delena scenes plus the showrunners are cowards who don't have the guts to put Elena out of her misery.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't care what anyone says. I loved this.

I couldn't have possibly imagined a better send off for Elena.

I'm so glad they made her human again and she got to leave on her own terms. All of her goodbye scenes got to me but mostly the one with Stephan because it's a been a while since we've seen their relationship acknowledged on the show.

I'm glad Kai is dead. I enjoyed him so much but Im glad the writers had the balls to just finish him.

Bamon forever! He's not done giving her nicknames yet!

Caroline and Stefan had the most beautiful, grounded interaction they've had all season. I guess that's what happens when you treat your characters as real people with history instead of shipping recipients.

I loved Stefan's callback to that time Caroline made him dance. These two had such a lovely friendship.

Tyler's send off was a lot better than I expected. The fact that he killed Liv to survive was pretty brutal, I thought it was a powerful scene. And I'm glad he got to save Alaric and bite Kai. 

Which brings me to Alaric. He broke my heart. I really don't see how he's ever coming back from this...

I refuse to discuss Enzo and his mommy / abandonment issues. Thankfully that was kept to a minimum.

I'm really looking forward to see Alaric and Damon just drinking their days away at the Mystic Grill. Can we have at least one episode of them doing that?

Ric's text:

TY WEREWOLF KAI IS VAMPIRE

That made me laugh so hard!

ETA the only moment that felt a bit weird was Damon and Elena dancing so epically and actively in their goodbye. I'll allow it though, since it's her last scene and I guess the shippers deserve a little epic something.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 5

So they killed off Jo, Tyler is gone, Matt left town (is he gone from the show too?), Kai is (FINALLY, thanks Damon) dead, the entire Gemini coven is dead, & Elena is stuck in a coffin for the next 60 years or so (why a coffin? she's not dead), but friggin' Enzo is still there, Lily is still there, & now all the witchpires are all there. Are they going to rewrite the premise of the show next season? Now it's Lily & her family? I hope not, because they bore me.

Caroline seems completely unaffected by her time as a ripper, she should start judging people again any time now.

I don't know I'm kind of looking forward for the witchpires. We haven't seen them yet in full broad daylight, but I liked the bit with Kai because it goes against the show has ever told us (vampires can't do magic, werewolf bites are lethal etc...). At this point they really can't shock us with much anymore, so reversing what we already know and turning the show head over heals seems like a good option, as long as they explain it properly.

Also, Lily has been lame but I'm intrigued to see her with her 'family' because it just seems like they have a great effect on her, and I really want to know how they stop her from being a ripper. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked the first few moments of the Elena/Damon dance because it was a nice call back to their first dance together at the Miss Mystic Falls thing. But then it just went on too long (and I say that as someone who watches every dance show on tv). Loved that Elena wanted her last moments with Bonnie to be that moment with the feathers from S1.

Although I am truly sad that we won't be getting any more of hilariously crazy Kai and his comments about skinny jeans and how to fit an iphone in them, I would rather have him go out like this than to have him stick around like Enzo and have nothing to do. I will miss not only the character of Kai but the actor who played him. Even when he wasn't given interesting lines, he still found a way to make them funny.

I liked that each person got a separate goodbye with Elena. At first it kind of bothered me that she was being so smiley and happy and upbeat with all of them, but once I saw her with Jeremy and she basically admitted that she was trying to be strong for everyone, it made more sense that she was putting on a smile and trying to make saying goodbye easier for all of them. I liked that Jeremy gave her a version of the truth so that when she wakes up and finds out he has been out slaying vampires, she will understand.

ITA that Caroline, Stefan, and Damon assuming that they will still be alive when Bonnie finally dies and Elena wakes up seemed like a pretty big assumption. Any one of them could be staked or decapitated or whatever, so Caroline saying, "Well, I'll see you later so I'll let you and Bonnie have a nice goodbye," seemed a little flippant.

I hated that they actually put Elena in a coffin for everyone to say goodbye. It was just a little too creepy knowing that she was still alive but in a coffin. I mean, I'm sure Elena didn't care but it just creeped me out. Plus it really made the parallel with Klaus carting around his family members in caskets even more obvious. I also hated that they had Elena's entire casket open (not just the upper portion with her head/torso) and that they put her legs straight and apart. Note: if I am ever in a fully open casket, please either close the bottom portion or cross my legs at the ankles. Thanks!

Elena baby, you can't advise Alaric on how to get through grief.  You burned down your house and turned off your switch when Jer died, then had Ric erase your memories when Damon disappeared into 1994.  You don't know how to handle grief so shut up already! 
when she was advising Ric about how to handle grief, I was like, "...Elena, literally every woman he's ever loved has died in some horrible way. He's been through this shit."

Ha, I was totally cracking up when Elena, of all people, tried to give Alaric, of all people, advice on grieving. Elena is in no position to tell people how to grieve because she is totally incapable of it, and Alaric has had all of his girlfriends/wives die horrifically in the past few years so he doesn't need her advice. I mean, when she was talking about how he needed to let the grief in, I was like giiiiiirrrrrl, no.

Matt Davis hasn't had to act very much in his six years on this show, but he really brought it last night with the grief and desperation and anger.

As for his craziness on twitter, yeah. For the sake of my sanity, I had to stop reading the cuckoo stuff he was posting online and then pretend that kind, caring parental figure Alaric is the real person and crazy Matt Davis is a fictional character who doesn't exist in real life.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Aside from Enzo/Lily/her crazy siphon/vampire family, I loved the episode. Overall very well acted and a great send off for the main character.

I agree that the the beginning was Game Of Throne-ish dark, but I guess it's inevitable when you have a Red Wedding: Kai sends his regards! :)

To sum up, things I loved:

-Well acted episode, though I agree that they were not acting in several scenes (i.e. the good-bye scene with the girls)

-All the good-bye scenes.

-The set-up for the final season

-Steroline

-Delena

-Stefan aknowledges his brother is his true love

What I did NOT like:

-Each and every time Lily comments on how much she loves her "family" and then shits on her real one, I want to punch her badly. So, I hate her whole storyline, which is made even worse by the addition of Enzo to the mix. Though I guess they will all be the big bad in the final season.

What kind of closure was that? Why do the vampires just assume they will see Elena again? They can die too...every single one of them and I hope they all do before Bonnie.  And what kind of mess is it to totally screw over Bonnie and punish her character with this curse? Why not let Elena just die? Nina said she's done, let her be done. 

I don't understand why any of them believe they could see Elena again. They are not immortal, vampires can die or is it a new rule that they can't?

I guess that what they were trying to say is that the odds are definitively in favour of vampires: technically, they ARE immortal (if not killed, they can live forever) while Bonnie and Matt, being humans, will eventually die. At the moment, they know that Elena will wake up once Bonnie dies (presumably by old age) and by then, Matt will probably be dead too. Instead, if Damon, Stefan and Caroline manage to not get killed, they will still be there. So, you're right when you say that there's no guarantee they won't be killed meanwhile (I mean, living in MF is dangerous enough), but they have actual chances to see Elena again that Bonnie and Matt have not.

I actually like the Bonnie/Elena twist. Whatever the last season ends up being, it seems inevitable that the big storyline will involve finding a cure that will allow both Bonnie and Elena to stay alive. I expect Nina to show up in the last 1-3 episodes of the show.

I agree. I am pretty sure Nina will come back for the final episode/s and that one of the main plots for next season will be finding a way (a cure, as you said, or a counter spell or something along those lines) to allow Elena to wake up without killing off Bonnie. Meanwhile, they will all have to handle the witch/vampires guys who, as per the little flash-forward in the end, will make MF a huge mess. So, I guess next season will begin with a little time jump (Matt was already a cop in the end).

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 2
there's no guarantee they won't be killed meanwhile (I mean, living in MF is dangerous enough), but they have actual chances to see Elena again that Bonnie and Matt have not.

True, but at the same time if they really want to, any of them can go visit her in the Salvatore tomb and go for a mind walk with her any time in the next sixty years so that they can hang out, tell her what's going on, etc. I mean, hell, Bonnie and Matt could go see her every day until they die if they insist on staying in Mystic Falls.

Ha, I did get an Angel-esque vibe from Damon standing up on the clock tower surveying the town at the end of the episode. It was also a nice echo of when he and Elena stood up there a few episodes ago. The hilarious thing is that a few years ago when I was watching Moonlight, Mr. EB was in the room and he said, "Wait, so this guy is a vampire who investigates crimes? Isn't this a total rip off of the Angel Detective Agency?" This week when I was watching TVD, he randomly said, "So are these guys going to start a vampire detective agency next?"

• Love 1

I know, it was all supposed to be very serious, but Caroline and Stefan's respective ability to pick the most inappropriate and awkward spot for initiating relationship talk made me laugh. These two are made for each other. How the scene mirrored the one they had before the funeral service of Caroline's mother was nicely done.

Personally, I would have preferred for Elena to be healed and sent off on her merry way to make a new life for herself rather than being stuck in a tomb until she can finally be reunited with the love of her life, but I understand that that would have made for a far less "epic" ending. But it is, what it is. She is preserved for being reunited with "her man", if that's what she wants, more power to her. But now I really want to see the flash forward of Elena trying to explain the sixty-year gap in her college transcripts when trying to get into medical school again without Damon compelling her way into university.

Speaking of Damon, what also was very nicely done was him realising the choices Kai tried to force upon him and inventing Door 3, or surprise beheading.

I am with those who are not too excited about the latest version of "Worst Mother Ever". The actress may be fine, but Lily hasn't done anything for me so far and I go by the rule that if I haven't started caring about a character's plight after seeing them in a couple of episodes, I never will. But let's see what they do with her "family", maybe these guys will be entertaining.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry, Crucial. I didn't mean to say you are confused. When you asked why your original post was misinterpreted, I gave a sincere answer about how I parsed your original post. I apparently read confusion into your post, when you weren't confused, so I'm the confused one. Again, I'm sorry. Peace.

Note: if I am ever in a fully open casket, please either close the bottom portion or cross my legs at the ankles. Thanks!

Oh, right! Did they do that before on this show? I have this dim memory of it, including wishing that they'd crossed whoever's legs at the ankles (or heck, bury her in a long dress or pants). I've never even seen a casket meant for viewing, that doesn't have a split lid.

True, but at the same time if they really want to, any of them can go visit her in the Salvatore tomb and go for a mind walk with her any time in the next sixty years so that they can hang out, tell her what's going on, etc. I mean, hell, Bonnie and Matt could go see her every day until they die if they insist on staying in Mystic Falls.

I think they tried to explain this in show, by noting that Bonnie was going to have to mystically seal the casket or the crypt (not sure which), so that a vampire in search of the cure couldn't come in and drain Elena. 

By the way, that whole cure thing still confuses me. Damon was going to drink Elena's blood to get cured, right? So why is it now so dangerous to leave Elena's casket (or the Salvator crypt) unsealed -- is it just to protect the cure for Damon?

I guess that what they were trying to say is that the odds are definitively in favour of vampires: technically, they ARE immortal (if not killed, they can live forever) while Bonnie and Matt, being humans, will eventually die. At the moment, they know that Elena will wake up once Bonnie dies (presumably by old age) and by then, Matt will probably be dead too. Instead, if Damon, Stefan and Caroline manage to not get killed, they will still be there. So, you're right when you say that there's no guarantee they won't be killed meanwhile (I mean, living in MF is dangerous enough), but they have actual chances to see Elena again that Bonnie and Matt have not.

This is how I took it. It's like, Grandpa is dying, and you have to go overseas on a two year assignment. You know you're not going to see Grandpa alive again, but you count on seeing your parents and siblings, even though they could get hit by a bus or struck by lightning.

Edited by CindyMcLennan
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed quite a bit about the finale.  There were some great individual moments with Alaric, Damon/Bonnie, and overall I appreciate Elena being restored to a girl with special blood, and Damon once again waiting for a doppelganger to get out of a tomb.  I hope they call that out next season, mostly because it didn't work so well for him the first time.  

And then...it also seemed really, really dark and rushed, which would have been more exciting if the first half of the season were more memorable (all I recall is waiting around for Bonnie/Damon to return) and didn't feel like a bit of a waste.  

I didn't realize all the Gemini would die if their leader did.  I thought it was a little annoying they were all collectively so weak, given that they can create pocket dimensions or whatever, and when it came down to it so was Bonnie.  I also feel like channeling the magic that keeps one alive should result in some kind of weakness, even if it's temporary.  No reason why, it just seems to me like when you divert that power you should slow down or not heal as quickly or something.

I don't know why Tyler had to live.  I've never been a fan of the actor, he never felt like a main character to me, and his goodbye with Elena was literally 10 seconds so the writers didn't seem all that invested.  Unless we're following his journey and there's some character growth...why bother with all that happened? 

I'm also wondering why they wouldn't at least get a sample of Elena's blood for testing and/or replication.  Or to use as a weapon against Lily's crew (or other vamps, really) if they ever showed up.  Maybe they did and didn't show it, who knows.  But if they were worried about people trying to break into the tomb...why not create a diversion by storing The Cure elsewhere?

So I guess I have a lot of little nitpicks.  But I like the Elena/tomb stuff so much it kind of doesn't matter, and I'm really curious where they're going next.

Hi Cindy!

I was expecting to secrete a little ocular fluid last night and am surprised that I did not, most likely because i was expecting the goodbyes. ITA with so many of your observations, opinions, speculation, etc on the season finale! My fave scenes were those of the other characters saying goodbye to Elena primarily because they called back on earlier scenes shared by Elena and her family and friends: the quarry, training in the woods, ye old hidden Lockwood vault, the loading dock. The one that really got me was Elena's bedroom and Bonnie floating the feathers. Kudos to all of the actors for bringing their best (imho) to this ep and I wish nothing but the best for ND.

Ya know, I had been wondering that it had been a while since Damon snatched out a heart or beheaded someone and boom, he finally did so last night. Unfortunately it was on my beloved little psycho Kai but I'm almost glad he went out like that and doesn't hang around too long and become boring. SO glad the Gemini coven is hopefully truly-dead although I so felt for Alaric losing yet another significant other. Too bad about Tyler reactivating the werewolf gene but he did get kill Liv so yay?

Still not looking forward to Lily and her witch-pires unless the actors cast are actually really good and the writing for the characters is an improvement. I honestly don't care about Steroline anymore. It's obvious there's a time jump but I'm hoping we get some kind of backstory next season (yes, I'll tune in unless it turns to shit) about what's happened from last night's events to Officer Matt driving thru an apocalyptic-version of MF.

• Love 1
I would have preferred for Elena to be healed and sent off on her merry way to make a new life for herself rather than being stuck in a tomb until she can finally be reunited with the love of her life, but I understand that that would have made for a far less "epic" ending.

When I heard that Nina was leaving the show, I thought she was going to pull a Kelly Taylor "I choose me" and travel the world so that she would have both a reason to leave Mystic Falls for a while as well as a reason to come back for the finale, so this whole Kai spell linking Bonnie and Elena was unexpected for me.

I think they tried to explain this in show, by noting that Bonnie was going to have to mystically seal the casket or the crypt (not sure which), so that a vampire in search of the cure couldn't come in and drain Elena.

I thought that Damon said that Bonnie was going to magically seal either the casket or the crypt to keep any potential Cure Stealers from draining the cure from Elena, but I guess I just assumed that it was going to be the magical equivalent of a door that Bonnie could open or close at will if anyone needed to get back in there (heh, although I don't know why anyone would ever NEED to get back into a crypt in real life, half the characters on The Originals seem to hang out in crypts pretty often).

• Love 2
Ha, I did get an Angel-esque vibe from Damon standing up on the clock tower surveying the town at the end of the episode. It was also a nice echo of when he and Elena stood up there a few episodes ago. The hilarious thing is that a few years ago when I was watching Moonlight, Mr. EB was in the room and he said, "Wait, so this guy is a vampire who investigates crimes? Isn't this a total rip off of the Angel Detective Agency?" This week when I was watching TVD, he randomly said, "So are these guys going to start a vampire detective agency next?"

Well, Angel wasn't the first show to use this idea (I think it was Forever Knight back in the 90s, haven't seen it), but Moonlight felt like it didn't have even one original bone in its body.

Anyway, TVD has constantly ripped off/paid homage to BtVS/Angel throughout its run, nothing new here.

• Love 1

I know that Kai was a psycho long before we met him (see: murdering four of his siblings), but it still made me a little sad when he said, "When your family decides that you're nothing but an irredeemable piece of trash, well, guess the best thing to do is prove them right, right?" From what we've seen, the reason that his family hates him is that pesky "killing a bunch of my family members" thing so their feelings seem pretty justified, but for a moment I still felt for him. It must have been rough growing up with Papa Parker who seemed pretty intense whenever we saw him, always emphasizing his kids' obligation to the coven. Between knowing your whole life that you must merge with your twin and having your dad tell you that the coven is your primary obligation, it must have been a high stress childhood. I'm not saying that justifies murdering your brothers and sisters though since obviously Jo, Liv, and Luke managed to turn out relatively normal.

When Liv died and Tyler dramatically said, "Nooooooo!" I just laughed. Dude, you KNEW that you were killing her to save yourself. It's not like it was a surprise that she died after your put your hand over her nose and mouth.

• Love 2

Damon choosing Bonnie! About damn time.

Why didn't Kai's spell on Bonnie/Elena come undone when he died? His cloaking spell on the building housing the witchpires came undone when he died...

As Kai is bragging about how powerful he is then Tyler out of nowhere jumps him and bites him made me LMAO! Bye Kai!

Good finale. I will definitely be back next season

Why didn't Kai's spell on Bonnie/Elena come undone when he died? His cloaking spell on the building housing the witchpires came undone when he died...

I'm with you.  Am I thinking of another show's mythology; I thought when a witch was beheaded, that undid all their spells?  It would be a trip if Elena was actually in that coffin suffocating to death.

I don't think he cast it.  I think he had the help of Lily's "family" and since they aren't dead then the spell lives.  I know he said he did it, but I took that to mean he had help with it....I dunno why.  Probably because Bonnie's too powerful for him to have done it alone?  *shrugs*  Who knows?

I liked the finale and cried the hardest when the girls were in Elena's old room.  I was expecting to cry with Damon/Elena but the dance killed it.  WTF?  

I got the vibe that Damon's about to turn back into season 1 Damon there at the end.  The ominous music plus his facial expression and then Julie and Caroline at the end saying Damon isn't handling things well.....that's what I saw anyway.

(edited)

RE: "Wait, so this guy is a vampire who investigates crimes? Isn't this a total rip off of the Angel Detective Agency?" Someone already mentioned Forever Knight, which was primarily bad with a dreadful actor as the lead, and then there were a spate of shows with exactly the same premise prior to Angel.  I liked Moonlight.  They gave me characters that were not all about the angst and REDEMPTION, especially Jason Doering as Josef, the unrepentent vampire playboy.  Moonlight only went for one season but it was a lot lighter in tone than the others and that was a welcome change.

Topic:  Bonnie could live for another hundred years like that one witch did who was about a hundred and didn't look a day over thirty-five.  Also, I really don't like them repeating the storyline of pre-show.  Damon waits around for his doppleganger lover for ... it could be more than a hundred years if Bonnie uses herbs and spells to keep her youth and health.  It does look like the end of romantic Bamon, but let's hope that friendship Bamon is all hands on deck next season.

Oooh, the sadist in me wants Bonnie to live for a hundred years, to let Damon consider falling in love with her but be true to Elena and pass up a chance to be happy with Bonnie. Then in the last moments of the series, after Bonnie dies at the age of 143, looking pretty fabulous, Damon opens the coffin to find the satin lining on the bottom of the lid ripped to shreds and the camera pans to Elena's skeletal remains.

Edited by Goldmoon
  • Love 5

I don't think he cast it.  I think he had the help of Lily's "family" and since they aren't dead then the spell lives.  I know he said he did it, but I took that to mean he had help with it....I dunno why.  Probably because Bonnie's too powerful for him to have done it alone?  *shrugs*  Who knows?

I got the vibe that Damon's about to turn back into season 1 Damon there at the end.  The ominous music plus his facial expression and then Julie and Caroline at the end saying Damon isn't handling things well.....that's what I saw anyway.

I also thought the witch-pires helped Kai with the spell and wouldn't it be nice if the gang (or maybe Damon from the looks of that final scene) spent a good part of next season hunting down and taking out those creatures in order to lose the spell? Except that it would involve more of Lily wailing "my family!" in the background, I suppose, but I'm prepared to tolerate that.

I honestly can't keep track of all the witchy mythology on this show, but I do know that it's not always been true that a witch's spells end when that witch dies. I mean, Katherine was supposed to be trapped in that tomb for 150 years or whatever, and that was the result of a spell Emily Bennett performed. Ummm...I think?

So they killed off Jo, Tyler is gone, Matt left town (is he gone from the show too?), Kai is (FINALLY, thanks Damon) dead, the entire Gemini coven is dead, & Elena is stuck in a coffin for the next 60 years or so (why a coffin? she's not dead), but friggin' Enzo is still there, Lily is still there, & now all the witchpires are all there.

Just a quick correction that Matt didn't leave town. Elena was encouraging him to continue protecting humans like him, and in the flash-forward, he's a part of the sheriff's department. (Maybe you meant Jeremy, though? In which case, yeah, Jer's gone.) But yeah, we're down to Bonnie, Caroline, Matt, Stefan, Damon, Alaric, and for some terrible reason, Enzo. And then Lily and her witchpires, blech.

By the way, that whole cure thing still confuses me. Damon was going to drink Elena's blood to get cured, right? So why is it now so dangerous to leave Elena's casket (or the Salvator crypt) unsealed -- is it just to protect the cure for Damon?

I think it's both to protect the cure for Damon, but probably more importantly to protect Elena herself, as a vampire who doesn't know or care about her may just go ahead and kill her while trying to get the cure.

Bonnie is also a witch, she's not like Matt, so she could prolong her life for as long as she wants to. Which I hope she does.

Ugh, I forgot about this and it bums me out that she obviously will not prolong her life. She's never talked about that, and on the show, I think that witch in Chicago (?) is the only one we've seen who has done spells to keep herself young. But yeah, that definitely won't be an option for her anymore. But maybe she wouldn't want that anyway, if she ends up with a nice, normal human dude and kids and stuff, she might not want to live into her 100s.

• Love 1

"Delena apart before we just said screw it and watched Buffy/Spike-themed reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer instead"

Even at their worst, I'll take Elena and Damon over Buffy and Spike, who were one of the worst and shittiest "couples" in the history of TV.

• Love 2

I honestly can't keep track of all the witchy mythology on this show, but I do know that it's not always been true that a witch's spells end when that witch dies. I mean, Katherine was supposed to be trapped in that tomb for 150 years or whatever, and that was the result of a spell Emily Bennett performed. Ummm...I think?

Yeah, the spell doesn't have to necessarily be bound to the person that cast it - spells have been bound to things like the moonstone or other people. Considering Kai made a point to say that if they tried to do away with the spell, both Elena and Bonnie would die instantly, I'm going to assume that it's bound to them somehow. I'm also guessing that the crypt spell is one that is tied to the life of the witch who cast it (in this case, Bonnie).

I say this because I don't want next season to be one where they are running around trying to save Elena again, especially after those good-byes.

Try this:  They introduced witchpires this season because they want to turn Bonnie but don't want to lose her ability to cast spells.  So she is somehow turned into a witchpire and when she "dies" Elena wakes.  This could happen at the mid-season or end of S7 and we find out that Damon has had second thoughts. OK, so Damon, like Spike, is love's bitch so that won't happen.  But turning Bonnie would solve the Sleeping Beauty problem.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hate goodbyes.  The feathers got me. Then the scene with Enzo and Lily just took me out of the good cry I was having.  

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1
(edited)

So, after everything, all you had to do was distract Kai and knock his head off? Convenient the way characters seem to remember this stuff when the bad writing calls for it. There were literally dozens of times someone could have done that but Kai was supposed to be too powerful for something so simple.

Just put Matt on a building with a hunting rifle - done and done.

I have to make a slight correction on this, Damon was always on board for killing him and had opportunities but no one would let him for various reasons. When he became leader of the coven killing him was out of the question as he was linked to all the coven but in the finale with the entire coven dead it was no problem to kill him.

It wouldn't be the first time Damon snuck up on Kai while he was focused on Bonnie but it would be the first time he had occasion to kill him instead of neutralizing him. Also to be fair Damon did warn him about the beheading.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm guessing Jo was already "dead, dead" by the time Kai left the room when Caroline and Stephan stood up (before the neck snap) because I was wondering why no one ran over and gave Jo their blood. 

Bonnie is also a witch, she's not like Matt, so she could prolong her life for as long as she wants to. Which I hope she does.

I wonder why no one thought that they may be able to break the spell by temporarily killing Bonnie and then bringing her back? Oh, wait they can't "trick" the spell or they both die. What a convenient piece of writing! If Bonnie was a vampire then technically she'd be dead ... wouldn't that also bring Elena back? They've totally vamped people when they have had to kill them but not really before. 

They introduced witchpires this season because they want to turn Bonnie but don't want to lose her ability to cast spells.  So she is somehow turned into a witchpire and when she "dies" Elena wakes.

You posted this as I was typing my response. Ha! I had the same idea but I thought that witchpires were witches like Kai who were siphoners so they were already inherently wrong. Siphoners could do magic because they could absorb it from something else. Witchpires can cast magic spells because they feed off their own vampirism which is the only reason they're still technically witches.

But he was able to siphon out the werewolf venom. So all Tyler did was ... essentially nothing. He didn't even slow him down. It was just a cool moment that didn't make any difference in the end. It actually made sense because Kai was also able to siphon out the vampirism from Carol Forbes earlier.

I think Kai's speech to Bonnie about not knowing that werewolves were a real thing until coming to town was him slowly realizing that they're magic based (ie. wait, now that I think about it ...) and he could absorb the magic or else he would have done it immediately. 

I did think it was great that Kai died because of his hubris and penchant for joking, "Well look at me! I've won! I was right, Bonnie! Damon left you! No one likes you! Nah-Nah-Nah-Nah "*CHOP*

Edited by FiveByFive
(edited)

They also remarked how Shelia looked younger than she actually was when she first appeared. The Bonnie connected to Elena storyline is the biggest kick in the teeth those geniuses have ever delivered to Bonnie fans. Why tie her to Bonnie other than to make that plot point of Damon temporarily choosing Bonnie over a life with Elena right then and there.

So yeah, if Bonnie has a happy life with all of her future children...I hope she decides to stay with them for decades. She died because of those Gilberts, so whatever.

And what a miserable life for Damon, he lives another 100 years waiting for a chick to wake up or be freed? That's stupid.

Edited by venusnv80
(edited)

Try this:  They introduced witchpires this season because they want to turn Bonnie but don't want to lose her ability to cast spells.  So she is somehow turned into a witchpire and when she "dies" Elena wakes.  This could happen at the mid-season or end of S7 and we find out that Damon has had second thoughts. OK, so Damon, like Spike, is love's bitch so that won't happen.  But turning Bonnie would solve the Sleeping Beauty problem.

Except, Nina has left the show. If she was still on the show, then this would be the obvious story, but they can't bring Elena back (unless they recast which would be seriously stupid, so I guess it's a possibility) so whatever happens to Bonnie, she can't "die" Or they have to come up with another little twist as to how Bonnie can die without actually dying.

I wonder why no one thought that they may be able to break the spell by temporarily killing Bonnie and then bringing her back? Oh, wait they can't "trick" the spell or they both die. What a convenient piece of writing! 

I guess the canon is now that a spell can know if another spell is trying to pull a foolie on it. I don't know if the word "convenient" is what I would use to describe this writing.

Edited by GaT
(edited)

I liked this episode and agree with basically everything everyone else has said. I loved that Kai was deliciously evil to the end and that he got a good send off.

If I was an actress being cast as a love interest for Alaric, I would be practicing my death face (or trying to get Paul Wesley to marry me in order to just be banished to Alaska!). Alaric ' s love interest is the new Bonnie Bennett sacrificial lamb. I actually liked Jo and Alaric probably because I am as old as them. I also think that although the writing had Jo acting a bit ditzy, she was smart, strong and supernatural adjacent enough for Alaric.

I liked the parallel of Elena being in the tomb and Damon waiting like he did with Kat. Damon can sure shoe Stefan a few things about patience. Speaking of Stefan and parallels, his 'I'll wait for you speech' had overtures of Klaus but with one major difference - it's Caroline ' s choice. I thought that very sweet and mature which I hope follows through to next season.

Edited by Jads

Gat said: Except, Nina has left the show. If she was still on the show, then this would be the obvious story, but they can't bring Elena back (unless they recast which would be seriously stupid, so I guess it's a possibility) so whatever happens to Bonnie, she can't "die" Or they have to come up with another little twist as to how Bonnie can die without actually dying.

But ... she could come back to dump Damon or actually go off to live a life without vampires, as she should have done in the first place.  This Sleeping Beauty thing smacks of wanting to have cake and eat it too.  I hope Damon doesn't turn on BonBon.

Well that wasn't as bad as I thoght it'd be.  I liked this quasi-death for Elena.  Not because I care whether or not she dies, but because I don't want the rest of the series to feature all the main characters mourning her/trying to bring her back.  The vampires will settle in and know she'll be back.  For the two humans, she will just be another loved one that they've lost and had to move on from.

I'm ok with Kai being dead but I did love, love the character and the actor.  I'm sorry Alaric has lost another mate - that man can't win.  I liked the send offs, particularly the girls and Matt and Tyler.  Once upon a time this was a group of friends who all knew each other very well - these "talks" felt like that again for a minute.

My three favorite things in this episode had to do with other loves, not romantic ones.  In ascending order: 3) Stephan noting that the biggest gift Elena gave him was his brother back.  Damon is the real love of his life.  That works for me.  2) Elena noting that Damon didn't save HER best friend, he saved HIS best friend.  Bonnie is Damon's best friend. And 1) After viewing the tape, Matt turns to Bonnie and tells her to leave town.  That moment rung all kinds of bells with me.  The way there was no hesitation.  The absence of hemming and hawing and weighing Elena vs Bonnie.  It was just a gut reaction that Damon would kill her to save Elena and that her death was imminent.  I loved it because, at least to Matt - and now I guess to Damon as well - Bonnie's life mattered. (Forgive me for my flippancy for saying here: "Black lives matter!")

As for the future.  I kind of wanted BonKai - for no logical reason other than I'd enjoy immensely watching these two circle each other until love made them do the wacky.  Against all odds and all that good stuff.  I was open to Bamon as well.  I don't have to see it, as I really do love them as friends, but I'm not sure the writers want to explore that.  As a writer myself, I think that they could.  The young people who watch this show may think that a Bamon will negate Delena but really it wouldn't.  If it were me I'd write it as a natural pairing.  They already like/love each other.  I could see them gravitating to each other in a wierd connection borne of finding traces of Elena in each other.  She's a beautiful woman and he's a beautiful man so attraction isn't much of a jump.  But mostly I'd love this show to teach a life lesson - one that they would portray in the life of Bonnie Bennet: that Damon was wrong in saying that not all love is epic, on the contrary all love IS epic.  As we go through life we should love as much as we can.  It's a cummulative thing, one doesn't eradicate the other.  Damon could love Bonnie for 50 years for the woman that she is.  Love her completely and mourn her death.  And then he can try again with Elena.  For me, that would be the best part about being a vampire, that you get to love and love and love again.  Who you love isn't what's epic, it's THAT you love.

But this is Plec so fat chance at that!  LOL!  

• Love 7

one that they would portray in the life of Bonnie Bennet: that Damon was wrong in saying that not all love is epic, on the contrary all love IS epic.  As we go through life we should love as much as we can.  It's a cummulative thing, one doesn't eradicate the other.  Damon could love Bonnie for 50 years for the woman that she is.  Love her completely and mourn her death.  And then he can try again with Elena.  For me, that would be the best part about being a vampire, that you get to love and love and love again.  Who you love isn't what's epic, it's THAT you love.

I want to MARRY this thought and have its babies!  I would watch regularly for that story.

• Love 2

Oh not pudding pop. Matt the actor is a total douchecanoe though, a racist, insensitive douchecanoe. From misunderstanding the racist undertones of the writing for Bonnie to dismissing and admonishing the mother of a terminally ill child for trying to trend something in his honour, to writing really creepy, fucked up fanfic under an even creepier name. He is simply...the worst. I agree they should have let Alaric off himself and we'll see what we can finally make of Enzo, at least MM seems to have good social media etiquette.

No offense to you but I don't know people follow celebrities on social media. I don't want to know that much about these people. Just act. Giving people free reign to say whatever comes to mind leads to bad things for everyone eventually. So, I don't need to follow anyone.

I watched the ending one too many times. That song during the dancing really got me. Of course, it was all over youtube by the morning but not a trace of it yesterday.

If it were me I'd write it as a natural pairing.  They already like/love each other.  I could see them gravitating to each other in a wierd connection borne of finding traces of Elena in each other.  She's a beautiful woman and he's a beautiful man so attraction isn't much of a jump.  But mostly I'd love this show to teach a life lesson - one that they would portray in the life of Bonnie Bennet: that Damon was wrong in saying that not all love is epic, on the contrary all love IS epic.  As we go through life we should love as much as we can.  It's a cummulative thing, one doesn't eradicate the other.  Damon could love Bonnie for 50 years for the woman that she is.  Love her completely and mourn her death.  And then he can try again with Elena.  For me, that would be the best part about being a vampire, that you get to love and love and love again.  Who you love isn't what's epic, it's THAT you love.

I've long since dropped this show and only came back to see what happened in ND's last episode, after Katherine's death and Caroline being ruined as a character for Klaus, I don't really have any favorites. That said, I've always liked Bonnie and I would NEVER want something like that to happen for her. First, Damon is a dick and I could never ever imagine him in a serious romantic relationship with Bonnie. I don't know what happened to her since I tuned out, did she lose all vestiges of her morality like Caroline when Klaroline became a thing? And also, the whole setup of being an "interim" love interest feels horrible and insulting. I would never ever want this for Bonnie, even with a character who actually deserves her, unlike Damon. (It sure doesn't seem like he got redeemed in those 3 seasons since I've seen him last...)

• Love 1

So...is Bonnie the reason why Kai came back all angry? Because if so, she fucked up hard.

Bonnie just added to it, though even with his conflict since he had 'feelings' after the merge, he still was pissed at his family. They locked him away for twenty years... I'm sure he was planning in killing them all before getting pulled into the mama Salvatore rescue- that's why the dad ran away so fast after the merge.

And he waned Jo dead, or the twins at least since they would challenge his leadership of the coven. Bonnie did all the Gemini a favor by trapping him in 1903, it just didn't last.

Well that wasn't as bad as I thoght it'd be.  I liked this quasi-death for Elena.  Not because I care whether or not she dies, but because I don't want the rest of the series to feature all the main characters mourning her/trying to bring her back.  The vampires will settle in and know she'll be back.  For the two humans, she will just be another loved one that they've lost and had to move on from.

I'm ok with Kai being dead but I did love, love the character and the actor.  I'm sorry Alaric has lost another mate - that man can't win.  I liked the send offs, particularly the girls and Matt and Tyler.  Once upon a time this was a group of friends who all knew each other very well - these "talks" felt like that again for a minute.

My three favorite things in this episode had to do with other loves, not romantic ones.  In ascending order: 3) Stephan noting that the biggest gift Elena gave him was his brother back.  Damon is the real love of his life.  That works for me.  2) Elena noting that Damon didn't save HER best friend, he saved HIS best friend.  Bonnie is Damon's best friend. And 1) After viewing the tape, Matt turns to Bonnie and tells her to leave town.  That moment rung all kinds of bells with me.  The way there was no hesitation.  The absence of hemming and hawing and weighing Elena vs Bonnie.  It was just a gut reaction that Damon would kill her to save Elena and that her death was imminent.  I loved it because, at least to Matt - and now I guess to Damon as well - Bonnie's life mattered. (Forgive me for my flippancy for saying here: "Black lives matter!")

As for the future.  I kind of wanted BonKai - for no logical reason other than I'd enjoy immensely watching these two circle each other until love made them do the wacky.  Against all odds and all that good stuff.  I was open to Bamon as well.  I don't have to see it, as I really do love them as friends, but I'm not sure the writers want to explore that.  As a writer myself, I think that they could.  The young people who watch this show may think that a Bamon will negate Delena but really it wouldn't.  If it were me I'd write it as a natural pairing.  They already like/love each other.  I could see them gravitating to each other in a wierd connection borne of finding traces of Elena in each other.  She's a beautiful woman and he's a beautiful man so attraction isn't much of a jump.  But mostly I'd love this show to teach a life lesson - one that they would portray in the life of Bonnie Bennet: that Damon was wrong in saying that not all love is epic, on the contrary all love IS epic.  As we go through life we should love as much as we can.  It's a cummulative thing, one doesn't eradicate the other.  Damon could love Bonnie for 50 years for the woman that she is.  Love her completely and mourn her death.  And then he can try again with Elena.  For me, that would be the best part about being a vampire, that you get to love and love and love again.  Who you love isn't what's epic, it's THAT you love.

Would it be fine if I made this into a tumblr post? :)

• Love 1

I've long since dropped this show and only came back to see what happened in ND's last episode, after Katherine's death and Caroline being ruined as a character for Klaus, I don't really have any favorites. That said, I've always liked Bonnie and I would NEVER want something like that to happen for her. First, Damon is a dick and I could never ever imagine him in a serious romantic relationship with Bonnie. I don't know what happened to her since I tuned out, did she lose all vestiges of her morality like Caroline when Klaroline became a thing? And also, the whole setup of being an "interim" love interest feels horrible and insulting. I would never ever want this for Bonnie, even with a character who actually deserves her, unlike Damon. (It sure doesn't seem like he got redeemed in those 3 seasons since I've seen him last...)

I am not at all suggesting that Bonnie would be an "interim" love for Damon or anybody else. What I am saying is the opposite. Bonnie's lifespan is a LIFETIME, not just an interim period until Elena wakes up. Elena was Damon's first love. I'm not counting his obsession over Katherine, I'm talking about the first time he's loved a woman who loved him back. He doesn't think he can love again - but he can and frankly he should. He needs to grow up, not hibernate until Elena returns to him as 20 year old. Women change and what she thinks she wants now may change dramatically as she ages and matures. There is no guarantee that they would last as a couple at all.

My point was that for all we know, Bonnie was ALWAYS meant to be Damon's great love. Elena his first, but Bonnie his deepest. Bonnie has already won his devotion - to the point that he chose her over Elena - without being a doppleganger or a vampire or sexual partner. Most of the real life epic, enduring loves are when the partners are lovers and best friends. She could remain his friend or they could be much more. All of it is plausible. Elena could awake to a very different Damon, a man who matured and evolved alongside the woman Bonnie is about to become. Again, that doesn't negate the love he had with Elena. Without Elena, he'd never be within striking distance of Bonnie. Leading me to...

I don't think Damon is a dick or a murderer for what it is worth. Humans are food to vampires. Just like I am having pork chops for dinner but it doesn't mean I hold malice toward pigs. I don't take offense to vampires killing and eating people. He definitely had some rogue jerkishness to his personality but he has changed - a lot. I always give points for the ability and desire to change and whether or not it sticks. Damon has blossomed under being in a loving relationship and being in friendships. He doesn't do what he used to do. Juxtaposed with say, Kai, who was a dick. He acted in malice and even with new feelings was still an unrepentant sociopath. I don't think Damon would ever mistreat Bonnie. Even when he messed up this season, it hurt him alot that he hurt her and he did not repeat that behavior. Again I posed this hypothetical as if I was the one writing it and trust me, I'd NEVER write Bonnie as ANYBODY'S sloppy seconds.

(edited)

Kai was a psychopath who murdered almost his entire family and had no qualms about killing children. He choked, stabbed, kidnapped and did god knows what else to Bonnie and she f'd up by leaving him in 1903? Because he was all kittens and rainbows before that? I can't even comprehend that. 

Edited by venusnv80
  • Love 3

No offense to you but I don't know people follow celebrities on social media. I don't want to know that much about these people. Just act. Giving people free reign to say whatever comes to mind leads to bad things for everyone eventually. So, I don't need to follow anyone.

I watched the ending one too many times. That song during the dancing really got me. Of course, it was all over youtube by the morning but not a trace of it yesterday.

I never followed him, he made such a splash that he soaked the whole site. He's a decent actor regardless and he was great in this episode but I'll never give fucks about Alaric with or w/o MD's bad behaviour.

I hated that they actually put Elena in a coffin for everyone to say goodbye. It was just a little too creepy knowing that she was still alive but in a coffin. I mean, I'm sure Elena didn't care but it just creeped me out. Plus it really made the parallel with Klaus carting around his family members in caskets even more obvious. I also hated that they had Elena's entire casket open (not just the upper portion with her head/torso) and that they put her legs straight and apart. Note: if I am ever in a fully open casket, please either close the bottom portion or cross my legs at the ankles. Thanks!

Seriously.  And the evil bastards put her in heels for the rest of Bonnie's life span.  If you are going to lock her away in a coffin and deprive her of any contact (because apparently she is locked in there but still has brain activity and knows what it going on) at least let he sleep comfortably.  They probably put her in a bra too.

So what are the odds that she's a raving lunatic by the time she wakes up?

• Love 1

Kai was a psychopath who murdered almost his entire family and had no qualms about killing children. He choked, stabbed, kidnapped and did god knows what else to Bonnie and she f'd up by leaving him in 1903? Because he was all kittens and rainbows before that? I can't even comprehend that.

Let's not pretend like any of the Mystic Falls crew is better than Kai with the exception of Bonnie and Matt and Tyler. They are ALL mass murderers. My point is Kai seemed to have a genuine change of heart after his merge with Luke and Bonnie still tried to kill him. And it seems like it was getting stranded in the 1903 prison world that made Kai revert to his sociopathic self and provoked the wedding massacre. Bonnie messed up.

Let's not pretend like any of the Mystic Falls crew is better than Kai with the exception of Bonnie and Matt and Tyler. They are ALL mass murderers. My point is Kai seemed to have a genuine change of heart after his merge with Luke and Bonnie still tried to kill him. And it seems like it was getting stranded in the 1903 prison world that made Kai revert to his sociopathic self and provoked the wedding massacre. Bonnie messed up.

He didn't have a change of heart after the merge, but did have a little more remorse... He still wanted to kill people, but it wasn't as easy for him as it used to be. He for some reason did want to apologize to Bonnie but he never said he no longer wanted to kill his family. I think he fully intended to still kill them, since they stuck him the prison world and could try again... And they also probably wouldn't follow his lead as the head of the coven.

Jo's twins were doomed no matter what since they were a threat to Kai's rule. Bonnie might have inadvertently given him access to the heretics and Lily's desire for vengeance... But Kai was still a psychopath and was still going to go after Jo and the babies and the rest of the coven... Even if he might have plotted a little longer in other circumstances .

• Love 2