Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cinsays

Chit-Chat

My internet connection has been crappy for days now, our cable sucks (pixalating and random channels not even showing up) and my phone is a horror show where I keep muting or hanging up on people or opening things I DID NOT touch.  I think I have angered the technology gods.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Sad 2

@WinnieWinkle - if you have cable and internet from the same provider there's a good chance the issues are tied together. Try unplugging your modem, router and cable box for about a minute. Plug everything back in. If it doesn't resolve the issue give the provider(s) a call. 

When I was having issues with everything it turned out the splitter I was using went bad. If I knew that was a thing I would have just replaced it. Thankfully the service call didn't cost anything.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

@WinnieWinkle - if you have cable and internet from the same provider there's a good chance the issues are tied together. Try unplugging your modem, router and cable box for about a minute. Plug everything back in. If it doesn't resolve the issue give the provider(s) a call. 

I have never found that to be a pleasant experience.  I always end up getting someone on the phone from far, far, away even though they have a local branch..  BTW,  they won't even give out access to their local phone number.

In any case, when I have talked to them on the phone, they have spent more time trying to sell me something than fixing the issues I was having.  And even when I am interested in something they are offering, they don't have the new cable boxes for their new offers, and they don't know when they will get them in and that was pre-covid.  I found that out the hard way, the cable boxes were supposedly mailed out to me, but when I called back, they were never sent, and I was told they didn't have any.  They were all set to change over my cable service without the new cable boxes. 

So, I went to the local branch instead.  I have to physically go to the local branch to see if they have them in, since they won't give out their phone number.   I even have left my number for them to call when they get them in and they have never called and it has been more than a year and a half.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I always end up getting someone on the phone from far, far, away even though they have a local branch...

...So, I went to the local branch instead.  I have to physically go to the local branch

Going to the local Internet/Cable provider in person sounds like a good Plan B, but I've had varying experiences with calling the provider, so calling is still my Plan A.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

Ever since a hurricane hit this area late last year and left my area powerless for almost four days I've had intermittent power issues. The going on and off a few times before being out for various amounts of time started after that too. It happened about four times after the hurricane last year and had only happened maybe twice this year so far outside of power blinks which started in the last two weeks.

This weekend the on/off/on/off thing happened while I was online while in my bedroom which resulted in a power outage of about 20 minutes. I thought everything was ok until I got up the next day to discover that the U-Verse DVR in my living room seemingly died. The wireless receiver in my room is still ok. I had been trying to reach someone at AT&T for about a week through social media to do the yearly retentions dance. I've gotten better deals that way compared to calling and saying "cancel" in response to the automated menu prompts that are supposed to then direct customers to the retentions department.

This year has been different. The first person who replied I ended up missing their phone calls to me a couple times because I didn't know they were going to do so beforehand. The 2nd person gave me the hours they'd be available twice and I only had time to call during the last hour of those timeframes and after calling on each of those days I got a response 30 minutes after they'd be off through social media saying they when they'd be on next.

I'm taking the not being able to reach someone as of yet and the DVR thing as a sign to finally get rid of their TV services if they can't give me a really good deal for the low tier package I have. I mostly keep it for local channels since antenna coverage is awful where I am and since it includes some other channels I like being able to just DVR stuff was so convenient. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My internet connection has been crappy for days now, our cable sucks (pixalating and random channels not even showing up) and my phone is a horror show where I keep muting or hanging up on people or opening things I DID NOT touch.  I think I have angered the technology gods.

I had this problem last week. I called it in to customer service (Spectrum), and she was awesome. She didn't use these words, but I know it's what she was saying when looking at the signal I was getting on my modem: "Oh yeah, it's fucked up."  They scheduled for a tech to come out to my house a couple days later. 

However, later that afternoon I got a text saying there was an outage in my area and it should be fixed by 5 PM.  Sure enough, I saw the Spectrum maintenance bucket truck working in the neighborhood that afternoon.  He fixed whatever electronics or squirrel chew damage was causing the problems up on the pole and it's all good now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

...I'm taking the not being able to reach someone as of yet and the DVR thing as a sign to finally get rid of their TV services if they can't give me a really good deal for the low tier package I have.

I had a different dance with AT&T a couple of years ago and reached pretty much the same conclusion: I am no longer a valuable enough customer for them to retain.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had a different dance with AT&T a couple of years ago and reached pretty much the same conclusion: I am no longer a valuable enough customer for them to retain.  

Out of the two internet options I have AT&T is the affordable option for me as opposed to Sparklight. Sparklight has higher speeds but they charge more especially for unlimited or higher GB offerings. My setup with AT&T as of right now is unlimited internet because I also have TV with them too. Even without TV their data limit for their internet is 1000 GB which I don't get near as opposed to the 350 GB has for internet plans in the same price range. Since I live in an older neighborhood AT&T's Fiber offerings haven't made it here and I'm willing to bet they never will. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

When I was having issues with everything it turned out the splitter I was using went bad. If I knew that was a thing I would have just replaced it. Thankfully the service call didn't cost anything.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The phone is a separate issue but I've got  a technician coming on Friday and hopefully it is something like a faulty splitter causing the issues!  I can live without cable but the Internet is a basic necessity for me now!  

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

We have the pixilating issue with our cable television (yes, I'm that old) frequently.  I'm hoping that soon, I will just get frustrated enough to call them and tell them to cancel the whole damn program. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We have the pixilating issue with our cable television (yes, I'm that old) frequently.  I'm hoping that soon, I will just get frustrated enough to call them and tell them to cancel the whole damn program. 

Oh that's interesting.  Sometimes you feel like you're the only person dealing with a problem!  I hear you about cable - sometimes we get very close to throwing our hands up in the air and giving up on it but we always end up saying "well let's just wait a bit".  We're old enough that the alternatives to cable aren't all that appealing to us but we're not prepared to give up the remote control just yet.

• Like 2

My current air conditioner window unit is making odd sounds. It might last another summer but I can't risk it dying in August, so I bought 2 smaller ones for other rooms in the house. But I have a dilemma--the larger of the two has a dent in the vents on one side, like it was hit by something.

On the one hand, as long as it runs OK, I don't want to return it because it's heavy and it would be a huge hassle to dismantle it, pack it up, get it in the car, and take it to Home Depot.

On the other hand, I paid a respectable sum for it and it should be pristine.

On the other other hand, if it doesn't run properly, I'll end up returning it. I still need to pick up adapters and place the units so I don't know if its functioning is impaired.

Why does everything have to be so haaaaaard?

• Sad 6

34 minutes ago, ABay said:

My current air conditioner window unit is making odd sounds. It might last another summer but I can't risk it dying in August, so I bought 2 smaller ones for other rooms in the house. But I have a dilemma--the larger of the two has a dent in the vents on one side, like it was hit by something.

On the one hand, as long as it runs OK, I don't want to return it because it's heavy and it would be a huge hassle to dismantle it, pack it up, get it in the car, and take it to Home Depot.

On the other hand, I paid a respectable sum for it and it should be pristine.

On the other other hand, if it doesn't run properly, I'll end up returning it. I still need to pick up adapters and place the units so I don't know if its functioning is impaired.

Why does everything have to be so haaaaaard?

Well, at least it will be easier for you to install it, what with having three hands.

• Laugh 12

Gorgeous Day Today!

I went to my office in DC for the first time in nearly 17 months for a Happy Hour with my practice group. We all met outside on the balcony outside of the cafe. The sun was bright, there was a nice breeze blowing--and you could feel it if you were standing in the right place.

Me? It looked like it was cloudy and going to rain, so idiot me, brought my umbrella (small enough to fit in my purse) and left my sunglasses at home.  You can guess what happened--the sun is in my eyes!

But for the number that came, it was so wonderful to see them after so long and to catch up. Beer (not my thing) and wine (several kinds) were flowing. I got to meet some of the associates that joined after we started working remotely face-to-face. I don't like how I look on camera, so I use Classic Perry Mason's face as my profile picture. (Whaaat?).  I also met a couple of the summer associates. I'd say in total, there were about 10-12 of us, spread out across the balcony.

I had a blast. It felt...normal. After a couple hours, I went up to my office, and it's still there. But there are a pile of FedEx packages (I'm sure of those that weren't deliverable to defendants in my cyber cases); don't know why they weren't trashed. 

I grabbed that thingamajig that blows cold air to clean up the crevices on the keyboard and one of the duckies. Also grabbed my pair of summer sandals that I bought two years ago!

DC is still like a ghost town. At least where my office is located, which is across the street from the FBI building. And the Metro? Emptyyyyyyyyyy. Like, three people in each section.

I'm ready to go back to my office. The spaaaaace; my stuff, and supplies! Roooooooooomy.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm ready to go back to my office. The spaaaaace; my stuff, and supplies! Roooooooooomy.

Same! Plus I just need space from my house.

Only three more weeks til I go back! Only down side is the week I go back is the finale of Loki, so I’ll either have to get up REALLY early to watch before I go or wait til I get home to watch 🤪

Last weekend I went to a trampoline park with a friend. Kept my mask on the whole time, which was a bit uncomfortable with all the jumping we did, but still tons of fun. And I ate in the mall food court, making it technically my first time eating out all year.

• Like 2

My middle daughter, who has been unemployed for over a year, just got a job, but is dreading having to work onsite. 
I'm hoping she'll feel differently about it once it starts. I mean, it's in a gallery in Manhattan, not a slaughterhouse, and her apartment is about 400 sq. ft. with a train going my every 10 minutes.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

53 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My middle daughter, who has been unemployed for over a year, just got a job, but is dreading having to work onsite. 
I'm hoping she'll feel differently about it once it starts. I mean, it's in a gallery in Manhattan, not a slaughterhouse, and her apartment is about 400 sq. ft. with a train going my every 10 minutes.

Congratulations!

I’ve been looking since last October when the contract from my last job ended.  I came close to something else soon after then it fell apart.  I had some family stuff come up in the meantime that kept me busy but I was able to get a couple of interviews that went nowhere.  I’m getting attention from recruiters however some of them are annoying enough that I just ignore them.  I’ll get an email saying they came across my profile and they’d like to talk to me about something they’re working on yet they give me no details about the position, or they just say I have this opening, send me your resume and I’ll call you.  Uh, no. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Where I am we're not opening up full throttle quite yet.  My children and their spouses are all still working from home and the plan is that will continue until October for my daughter and daughter-in-law.  My son and son-in-law however are in jobs that will likely never make the move back into an office again,  They're happy about that (especially my son who had a very long commute) but to be honest for me half the reason I go to work is to GO to work.  I want to see other people, "do" lunch, shop on my lunch hour and the like.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Where I am we're not opening up full throttle quite yet.  My children and their spouses are all still working from home and the plan is that will continue until October for my daughter and daughter-in-law.  My son and son-in-law however are in jobs that will likely never make the move back into an office again,  They're happy about that (especially my son who had a very long commute) but to be honest for me half the reason I go to work is to GO to work.  I want to see other people, "do" lunch, shop on my lunch hour and the like.

I’d be okay with a hybrid arrangement only because the jobs that I seem to be getting attention for are in an industry that forces me to get on the train.  Been there, done that enough that I want to limit the commuting time (around 3 hours a day at minimum) as much as possible.  I’ve felt this way before COVID.  If I get something closer I’d be okay with going in to the office most of the week as long as I don’t have to deal with that idiotic open office arrangement.  

• Like 2

My husband is back in the office 2 days a week and I love having the house to my self again. I’ll start going back onto the office part time in July and am going to try to go in when he’s home. That way someone is always with our cats (yeah, that’s the ticket). I love my husband but there is such a thing as too much togetherness, and I passed that point about 12 months ago. (I think he’d say the same.)

• Like 6

We started going back to the office the first week of June and although our terrible CEO is all "no one works remote ever again, ever, we all work in the office!!", a lot of us (myself included) work from home at least one day a week. He can huff and puff all he wants, but if he wants people to stop leaving in droves, he's going to have to realize a hybrid work environment is the way to keep employees happy. 

I don't mind being in the office a few days a week, it's nice to see people, go back to the salad place near my office that I love and missed, and it motivates me to work out and stick to my diet since my old work pants are a little tight. But 5 days a week is not something I'm going to put up with. Commutes are not fun, I'm still expected to get the same amount of work done I was doing when I worked from home, and my job requires quiet and privacy (which we do not have in our open office floorplan). I love my team and my boss is great about being flexible, but we'll see. I feel like a lot of the old work norms are going to change and adapt after all we did to make it through Covid and keep the offices and companies going. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I love my husband but there is such a thing as too much togetherness, and I passed that point about 12 months ago. (I think he’d say the same.)

Absolutely true!  My husband works in a hospital and not the kind of job where he could work from home.  We have more than enough togetherness in the evenings and week-ends being essentially housebound and no visitors or visiting!  I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be together 24/7 with the extra stress of being in the middle of a pandemic!

• Like 2

I'm really not looking forward to re-waging the battle that I'm not going back to the office as long as the GA vaccination rates are so abysmal and my office is the converted closet I had when I started that dumps the A/C over my head.

Give me an office with appropriate ventilation and allow me to put up "masks are required in my office" sign and I'll think about it. We had a "training" covering the new requirements: no masks required for vaccinated people but you're not allowed to ask the status. Given the number of people I offered to help find vaccines who said they weren't getting it plus the anti-mask sentiment plus the various outbreaks in teams that were in the office, well, I have zero faith people will do the right thing and mask up if they are unvaccinated.

My new rheumatologist offered to write me a note to keep me home for awhile longer as reasonable accommodation (WFH has proven successful over the last 15+ months) and as much as I would like a little break from the kitty cats I'm not going to put my health at risk in this building.

• Like 11

Random chit chat, but I found out a professor I had multiple classes with has been accused of sexual harassment by several students. He was one of my favorite teachers ever. I truly learned a lot from him. I thought he was kind. I don't even remember all the teachers I've had, but his teaching and encouragement stayed with me. I feel horrible for all the young students he harassed. It's crazy how someone who has so much talent and wisdom and left an impact on your life turns out to be a predator. 

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 10

Filed under: Conflicted

So happy that mask restrictions have mostly been lifted.

So sad that my makeup routine has to return to pre-pandemic status (and humid summer days making that difficult at best).  I rather enjoyed the notion that most were being seen sans makeup, with sketchy hair game.

Or maybe that was just me, lol.

covid hair and makeup.jpg

• Laugh 5

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Random chit chat, but I found out a professor I had multiple classes with has been accused of sexual harassment by several students. He was one of my favorite teachers ever. I truly learned a lot from him. I thought he was kind. I don't even remember all the teachers I've had, but his teaching and encouragement stayed with me. I feel horrible for all the young students he harassed. It's crazy how someone who has so much talent and wisdom and left an impact on your life turns out to be a predator. 

@RealHousewife, you typed "accused." Is there a chance he's innocent? I mean, it sounds like you never saw anything in him that hinted at such behavior.

Or maybe he has dementia now and is doing inappropriate touching?😞
If it's something like dementia, he still needs to be removed from the classroom.

Or is he a tough grader and these are false accusations? 

Or maybe it's inappropriate joking --which, of course, needs to be stopped.

When I went back to school after I had kids I had a professor who changed my life by making me question my beliefs. This was a very conservative county, and he was eventually forced into retirement for "upsetting" students with his lectures that touched on abortion issues. It was a loss to the college, but he was of retirement age, so I hope he enjoyed that. I might try to cyberstalk him....

OTOH, when I was hitchhiking in the 70s I barely escaped from a knife-wielding, wannabe rapist who the police could not arrest for lack of evidence (he said/she said). I would really like to know what happened to him and his future victims.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Air conditioner update! Because I know you've all been wondering "whatever happened with ABay's air conditioner units?" Well, they are in and surrounded by more cardboard than the set of a 1970s BBC sci fi show.

The front is definitely tilted enough, probably too much.  I might need a bungee cord to make sure it doesn't slip since what's holding it in is a thin oak slat in place of the sash and side panels.

The bedroom one looks straight to my eye but the bubble in the little level I bought this morning (never too many tools) went right to the correct end. So...good? I'm not caulking and weather stripping either of them until they get a good test run this weekend.

• Like 6

@ABay, I was always worried about my air conditioner falling out of my window. I bought a support that was was easy to install. This is similar to what I have (there are a lot of them that look basically the same with different price points). Maybe for next year? 

Last year I installed a 12,000 BTU air conditioner that weighed about 100 pounds (at least according to the manual) in one of my windows without a support and had no problems. I almost didn’t put in the support for my other air conditioner but since I already have it I figured might as well use it. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 2

Guys from tech support have arrived - don't you all love the window of time they give you "anytime between 8-5" anyway they're here now so hopefully my issues will be resolved soon.  I admit I am very anxious - Covid related - I didn't realize just how much I don't like having strangers in the house right now!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 5

Thanks, @MargeGunderson! That's the first one I've seen that didn't require screws to keep it in place.

36 minutes ago, ABay said:

Thanks, @MargeGunderson! That's the first one I've seen that didn't require screws to keep it in place.

Oh, I think it might require screws, at least mine does. But, this kind doesn’t require screws. My neighbors got one for their big air conditioner, and I asked about it because I’ve had one of my brackets for years (like 15) and was thinking of replacing it. 

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I mean, it sounds like you never saw anything in him that hinted at such behavior.

Just like murderers don't kill everyone they meet, sexual harassers don't harass everyone.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So sad that my makeup routine has to return to pre-pandemic status

I have a whole array of regimes 1. days when I work from home and won't see anyone - showered and hair brushed, 2. days when I will be on screen from home  - hair fully styled and some makeup. Whether I will go all out with the makeup depends on the purpose and participants in the screen time.   3.  days when I will be leaving the house, never removing my mask, such as grocery shopping - hair styled, eye makeup.  4. days when I will be leaving the house and removing my mask, such as going in the office where I can go mask free in my own office and others can come in if they are comfortable  - The Full Meal Deal. Although then there is the issue of foundation coming off on the mask and if I put on lipstick after I enter my office it's just going to come off when I mask up to go the washroom.

The worst is when my day changes unexpectedly in the middle.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

@RealHousewife, you typed "accused." Is there a chance he's innocent? I mean, it sounds like you never saw anything in him that hinted at such behavior.

Or maybe he has dementia now and is doing inappropriate touching?😞
If it's something like dementia, he still needs to be removed from the classroom.

Or is he a tough grader and these are false accusations? 

Or maybe it's inappropriate joking --which, of course, needs to be stopped.

When I went back to school after I had kids I had a professor who changed my life by making me question my beliefs. This was a very conservative county, and he was eventually forced into retirement for "upsetting" students with his lectures that touched on abortion issues. It was a loss to the college, but he was of retirement age, so I hope he enjoyed that. I might try to cyberstalk him....

OTOH, when I was hitchhiking in the 70s I barely escaped from a knife-wielding, wannabe rapist who the police could not arrest for lack of evidence (he said/she said). I would really like to know what happened to him and his future victims.

I think I typed accused since I just found out and he hasn't been found guilty. Even though I don't want to believe it about someone I found so special, I do believe he harassed the girls. :( People are complex. They can be charming, intelligent, talented, inspiring, and still have this ugly, dangerous side. 

I never experienced anything weird with him, but I wasn't the demographic he'd target. He's taught people of all ages, but he'd apparently target college freshmen. He'd look for girls who didn't have family support and needed financial assistance. I took his classes older, and I had money. He's been teaching for many years, but he's not old. I can't see him having dementia. I don't think he went after a large percentage of the many female students he's had over his career, but with it being several accusers, I can't see them all lying. There could also be others who never said anything. The allegations are beyond him making inappropriate comments or advances. One of the accusers said they had a sexual relationship. He's also a married man. I met his wife, and she was a pretty lady and seemed sweet. If you saw them together, you'd just think they were a good-looking, normal middle-age couple. 

Ugh, I do think there are people who unfortunately get into trouble over pettiness. I hope the professor you had is doing well.

I'm so sorry someone tried to attack you like that! That had to have been so traumatic. I'm so glad you were able to escape. ♥️

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Take time to process what you learned. You may not have been his target or victim but your entire perception of this person has changed and it's OK to have conflicting thoughts and feelings while you absorb what you learned. It's called being human.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Take time to process what you learned. You may not have been his target or victim but your entire perception of this person has changed and it's OK to have conflicting thoughts and feelings while you absorb what you learned. It's called being human.

Thank you THEREADHEAD. :)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

So weird- as I was reading this, I was listening to a news report on the radio about a local professor accused of sexual harassment. Based on what you posted later, I don’t think it’s the same one, but odd coincidence. 

• Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Just coming here to do a happy dance! My local public library is re-opening for the first time since March 2020! (It is old and small and they could not figure out to have people in there safely distanced even with masks etc. and there is no good place for curbside pick up either, so it was just entirely shut until this coming week.) I've been buying used books on line and picking up freebies from the main library that puts out cartons of free books every week but I really missed just browsing in *my* library and discovering new great stuff to read. Huzzah!

• Like 13

I've started a podcast as a form of therapy or myself.  I'm more or less no longer (that) involved with the show about living with invisible disabilities and am glad that I'm free to do whatever I want with my new one.  It's been good.  The first episode dropped on June 15 and I'll have a Canada Day special coming on June 30th or July 1.  I don't have to be crazy PC and can be the slightly conservative Cynthia that I am.  I'm also really happy that I'm now fully vaxxed (Pfizer, if anyone wants to know).  

• Like 4

We have been going back and forth with semi-lockdowns and restrictions.  We just eased restrictions again last week, so I was excited to get threading at the shop in the mall for the first time in a couple of months.  I hadn't realized they were now requiring appointments, as they used to be walk in only.  I chatted with the employee, apologizing that I hadn't checked their social media for any changes in policy, while I put on my (fogged up) reading glasses to book on my phone but the first opening was hours later.  She whispered "it looks like the next person is late, I'll squeeze you in".   While I sat in the chair, a woman came rushing in wanting service. She also didn't know about the new policy, and went off on the employee "Alright, I'm on your website and your first opening isn't for hours. I need my eyebrows done.  I can't wait, I have to go to a baby shower. No, I can't come back, I have 4 children at home."  I expected her to ask for the manager. I'm glad my mask hid my smirk as I thought "Hey, K***n, if you weren't being a bitch I bet they would help you out."

Edited by Quof
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Quof said:

We have been going back and forth with semi-lockdowns and restrictions.  We just eased restrictions again last week, so I was excited to get threading at the shop in the mall for the first time in a couple of months.  I hadn't realized they were now requiring appointments, as they used to be walk in only.  I chatted with the employee, apologizing that I hadn't checked their social media for any changes in policy, while I put on my (fogged up) reading glasses to book on my phone but the first opening was hours later.  She whispered "it looks like the next person is late, I'll squeeze you in".   While I sat in the chair, a woman came rushing in wanting service. She also didn't know about the new policy, and went off on the employee "Alright, I'm on your website and your first opening isn't for hours. I need my eyebrows done.  I can't wait, I have to go to a baby shower. No, I can't come back, I have 4 children at home."  I expected her to ask for the manager. I'm glad my mask hid my smirk as I thought "Hey, K***n, if you weren't being a bitch I bet they would help you out."

Good GAWD, I can't wait for salons to open up in Ontario.  I DESPERATELY need a haircut.  I also need a manicures and pedicure, but not as badly as a haircut.  I'm okay skipping another summer of mani/pedis.  Since my husband isn't fully vaxxed, we have not dined out yet.  Just waiting for THAT. :) 

On 6/16/2021 at 12:25 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Absolutely true!  My husband works in a hospital and not the kind of job where he could work from home.  We have more than enough togetherness in the evenings and week-ends being essentially housebound and no visitors or visiting!  I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be together 24/7 with the extra stress of being in the middle of a pandemic!

24/7 is my problem.  Love him, but this togetherness is too much.  Add him watching golf or playing it all weekend puts me on the edge.  There’s no place to go either as we are still careful.  Out of disgust and boredom, I just sent him for a strawberry shortcake, and I just might eat the whole damn thing.  I need something to satisfy me.  Then, we’ll watch crapfest 90 day fiance would you believe.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:13 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Guys from tech support have arrived - don't you all love the window of time they give you "anytime between 8-5" anyway they're here now so hopefully my issues will be resolved soon.  I admit I am very anxious - Covid related - I didn't realize just how much I don't like having strangers in the house right now!

Did they fix the issues you were having?

17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Did they fix the issues you were having?

They did!  I'm not entirely sure what was wrong but it had something to do with the wiring coming into the house.   So far so good - no pixallating on the TV and the Internet has stayed constant since they came - which it most certainly was not doing before!

• Like 9

8 hours ago, PRgal said:

I think my parents still have a gigantic one they use for salads at family dinners!  This goes back to the 80s when my mom used it at family/friend barbecues (her recipe would include fruits AND greens, including avocado.  The dressing was a mix of lemon juice and honey, topped with (ewwww) Kraft’s Creamy Cucumber dressing.  It’s since been replaced with plain ol’ EVOO and balsamic).

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I occasionally buy Ranch.  But I also dislike and avoid bottled dressings.  They have that canned artificial spice taste. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I make that every once in a while.  I mostly make a variety of vinaigrettes.  The only dressing I don't make from scratch is ranch; for that I use the Hidden Valley original ranch seasoning mixed into a mayo, sour cream, and milk combination, with some fresh dill added.

From the Peeves thread... oh gosh, you guys have much classier taste buds than I do!  Ranch, green goddess, homemade vinaigrette, whatever, bring it on to coat my lettuce!  I don't remember hearing of the Creamy Cucumber but it sort of reminds me of some Greek sauces (tzatziki maybe?) so I'd be willing to give it a chance.  But I can relate to the distaste for the "artificial" taste.  I'm the only only one in my family who has an aversion to artificial sweeteners.  My daughter offered me a mimosa and when I asked about the OJ she offered (some kind of "light" version) she apologized - "oh mom, I forgot how you are!" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

From the Peeves thread... oh gosh, you guys have much classier taste buds than I do!  Ranch, green goddess, homemade vinaigrette, whatever, bring it on to coat my lettuce!  I don't remember hearing of the Creamy Cucumber but it sort of reminds me of some Greek sauces (tzatziki maybe?) so I'd be willing to give it a chance.  But I can relate to the distaste for the "artificial" taste.  I'm the only only one in my family who has an aversion to artificial sweeteners.  My daughter offered me a mimosa and when I asked about the OJ she offered (some kind of "light" version) she apologized - "oh mom, I forgot how you are!" 

Uh-oh.  Looks like I will have to join this thread too! 

54 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'll sit next to you. I'll mix up a vinaigrette or use a Penzey's dressing base but I tried to make Blue Cheese dressing and while it was good I hated wasting so much buttermilk. I'll stick to my blue cheese from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Same with ranch.

I also can't stand fake sugar. Not only can I taste it, I get an almost instant headache from it. The only time fake sugar doesn't bother me is when I'm drinking Captain and diet Coke or Jack and diet coke. And it probably doesn't bother me because I've got enough of a buzz on to order Captain or Jack and I won't notice that headache on top of whatever is coming my way.

• Like 3

Tzatziki is what came to mind when Creamy Cucumber dressing was mentioned. You'd probably need to add a little dill to it.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, Spartan Girl said:

My library is open again! It felt so wonderful to be able to browse again! Of course I’m glad I was able to learn how to place holds online and the Overdrive ebooks are great if it takes forever for the actual hard copies to come in; I’ll still use both things. Still, I’m so happy! What a great way to kick off June!

sound of music GIF

NYC libraries are reopening July 6. Very excited. I too use hard copies and e down.oads. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 9:18 PM, Stats Queen said:

In 1988 I worked weekend shift in a data center. I told a coworker that I was reading a certain book and she said “I couldn’t believe it was the wife who did it” - WTF! 
In 1997 I was in graduate school commuting 1.5 hours each way and listened to books on tape. I told my father-in-law I was listening to a book on tape, and he told me the ending. Seriously, what is wrong with people - thank you for ruining the ending when it was obvious that I wanted to reach the ending myself (just as they successfully did). 

One of our pals on the books thread just revealed that she enjoys reading the end of mysteries first and then following the clues from the beginning. Most of the other posters said a good natured but big fat nope 

• Like 4